Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Problem description: My computer is 5 years old, and have worked flawlessly until now. Suddenly, for the last month computer have these crashes that are related to gaming. It can crash during gaming, but mostly it crashes after i shut down the game and steam, and then open chrome for instance. Or during the loading times between matches. The crashes are always in the form of the computer suddenly freezing and then restarting itself. Sometimes the crash can be preceded by the FPS slowing down to a crawl before it freezes and restarts. Some days it can work just fine, even managing more taxing games like Warhammer 2 for hours without a problem. But in the recent week even Team Fortress 2 has made my computer crash.

Attempted fixes: Error checked both harddrives. No fault found according to windows. Opened up panels and did a dust cleaning to the best of my abilities with compressed air. Did a overview inside the compartment to see if any cables or components where loose.

Recent changes: No recent changes to my system.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

System specs:
Corsair CX750M, 750W PSU

Intelcore Ci7-6700 Skylake Processor

Intel TS15A CPU Air Cooler

Crucial DDR4 2133MHZ 16GB

ASUS Z170-A, Socket-1151

Graphics card:
MSI Geforce GTX 980TI 6GB

Harddrives
Hyperx Fury 240GB 2.5" SSD

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5"

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, googling this problem gives me an overwhelming amount of possible issues. I am not very confident with my computer fixing skills, and I'm afraid to brick my pc or otherwise make the problem worse. I post here with the hopes that someone with a bit more knowledge can perhaps see if these issues are indicative of a hardware or software failure, or how I might go about trying to single out what hardware or software might be at fault. I've tried to fill in the post with the relevant information, please let me know if there are some things missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

GyverMac posted:

Attempted fixes: Error checked both harddrives. No fault found according to windows.

I'd run CDI to see if it finds any issues:
https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Also, running http://www.memtest.org/ overnight can sometimes find RAM errors.

GyverMac posted:

I post here with the hopes that someone with a bit more knowledge can perhaps see if these issues are indicative of a hardware or software failure, or how I might go about trying to single out what hardware or software might be at fault.

When a computer works fine for years and then starts crashing it's a very good bet it's hardware related.

If the HD and RAM pass the tests then I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if the crashes continue. It's possible the GPU or PSU is failing.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zogo posted:

I'd run CDI to see if it finds any issues:
https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

Also, running http://www.memtest.org/ overnight can sometimes find RAM errors.

When a computer works fine for years and then starts crashing it's a very good bet it's hardware related.

If the HD and RAM pass the tests then I'd try using onboard video temporarily and see if the crashes continue. It's possible the GPU or PSU is failing.

I ran prime95 torture test for about 2 hours without any issues, so I assume the CPU is fine. That leaves memory,HD, GPU, or PSU, so thank you for providing the links to these utilities so i can continue troubleshooting! :)