Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Hot Take: I enjoyed the episode and look forward to more.

This includes more Timothy Olyphant, Amy Sedaris, and hopefully Temuera Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Preemptive can we please not have sequel chat in the Mandalorian thread again?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

unlimited shrimp posted:

Dash Rendar Wraith Squadron when

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Everyone posted:

I liked how the X-wing guys were cool in a "Don't be a moron, we could fry you in a heartbeat" kind of way. Even after Mando made their lives harder by trying to run, they still came in, saved his rear end and let him off with a warning. Presumably a lot changed in 25 years, because these guys would have eaten the First Order for breakfast with a side of ice-spider eggs.

Dave Filoni Trapper Wolf’s X-wing had a bunch of TIE kill markers on it under the cockpit, which made me laugh.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Thom12255 posted:

X-Wings are so cool.

:hmmyes:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’ve been pounding the table for a Rogue Squadron show for 20+ years. Or Wraith Squadron. Hell, you can basically reuse half the plots from the old Black Sheep Squadron show, just replace F4U’s with T-65’s.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TK-42-1 posted:

firefox was cool but ‘I have to think in russian’ was dumb as gently caress.

Yeah... But a pilot having to think in Bothan or Huttese would be hilarious.

Or Ewok. Disney, you bastards, give me Kettch!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TraderStav posted:

Is there a 'new' EU? If there were I wouldn't mind seeing what that entailed and maybe start diving into those books and comics.

The old EU was rebranded “Legends” and everything in it made not canon when Disney got Star Wars. The “Legends” name is rarely used in my experience and it’s just called old EU, compared to the New EU which is all the books and comics released since then.

The Old/Legends canon is hit and miss. Stuff than the Thrawn trilogy (Which were basically the sequel trilogy of the old EU) or the X-wing series are usually well regarded, as are stuff like the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, Darth Plagueis, and Shatterpoint, to name a few books at semi-random. Some of those are downright excellent, particularly the Wraith Squadron books of the X-wing series. Of course, there’s also stuff like the novel Darksaber (It’s from the mid-90’s and has zero to do with the dark saber sword from Mandalorian and elsewhere) which is chock full of every bad EU stereotype you can think of or seen referenced on the internet, and some of the chronologically later stuff is dark and weird, or the whole 20-book New Jedi Order series which is mixed.

The new EU canon, like the old, is hit and miss. Some books and authors are good, others ain’t. I’ve liked the From a Certain Point of View collections, everything by Claudia Gray has been well liked by the Star Wars EU thread in Book Barn IIRC, and I’ll still read Zahn’s new canon Thrawn books for the hell of it. On the other side, you have Wendig’s second person awkward Aftermath books, and others that people say are mediocre as well.

Keep in mind I’m just taking about novels. Both canons have tons of comics too, and the same applies to all them as well.

In short, there’s a lot out there, some is good, some isn’t, but it’s worth peeking into if you find stuff you like.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Turns out Chewie’s a Libertarian and that’s why he’s always hanging out with someone 1/8th his age.

:wookie:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm a big nerd and own all the X-Wing books amongst other EU material that I bought when I was a kid and I can say that absolutely none of it is objectively excellent or even good when compared to actual literature. I'm not trying to sound a snob or anything, and it's fine to read as escapist fluff but in terms of actual artistic merit its mostly dogshit. I reread all the X-Wing series a few years ago and even with the nostalgia value I'm not sure it was worth it.

IMO, it does come off as a snob when you’re using terms like “actual literature” and “artistic merit” as a way to criticize Star Wars books, nobody is going to compare them to something like Dune or whatever other pillar of sci-fi you’d like. I reread the X-wing books a few months ago prior to Squadrons coming out, thinking they wouldn’t hold up at all, and if anything they were better than I remember when I was younger. If someone likes Star Wars and is looking for more of anything in that fictional setting, they’re entertaining and enjoyable, which I think applies to a good number of EU books (There is also a lot of absolute crap too). I’m not seeking out Star Wars books in general looking for something that’s gonna push the boundaries of fictional prose (I don’t think anyone would or should), I just want well written stories about X-wings or rebels or whatever in a setting I like, and a lot of them deliver just that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Madurai posted:

I was genuinely surprised that the clones turned up on the Republic's side.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Basically what the Zahn books were suggesting about an evil group of cloners. I don't think I connected the Clone Wars directly to the Emperor taking over either but I can't remember.

Just to go off of this and regarding the whole issue of people in the Original Trilogy dismissing Jedi or not knowing much of them, prior to the Prequel Trilogy, there were almost no official details on the Clone Wars, just like everything else about the history of the galaxy pre-OT. Stuff in novels was only slightly less vague as what you get in the movies.

The almost universal assumption was the Republic fought against the Clones, which is what Zahn and everybody who followed went with, but all generally left the nature of the original "clone" threat nebulous. In the late 80's and early 90's when West End Games was doing all their sourcebooks and the EU was really getting started, they were told by Lucasfilm that George had the Clone Wars occurring 35 years before A New Hope (Or at least, ended then, as works give various implications on how long they lasted). Similarly, events like the fall of the Republic, start of the Empire, and the Jedi purge were all treated as separate events that took place over some period of time, rather than all being connected and basically happening at the same time almost overnight like we see in Revenge of the Sith. The Jedi purge there wasn't some coup de grâce where almost all of them are wiped out simultaneously, but they are hunted down and a lot of people who were associated with them in any way are also subject to all sorts of things.

Either way, all of these were implied to be multiple decades in the past, and when the Prequels come about, George did things very differently.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The old canon had a pretty good explanation for this that mostly went ignored because it was in one of the Republic Commando novels that are rather contentious.

Essentially, a couple of clones who later went rogue were on a sabotage mission to a Droid foundry and discovered that the number of droids being pumped out was significantly lower than what the official figures were projecting. It was still enough in the hundreds of millions to pose a serious threat to the Grand Army (roughly 3 million clones by the time right before Revenge of the Sith), but far lower than the legions of billions they were told they were up against.

They then found out that one of Coruscant's moons was housing a Spaarti cloning facility. Spaarti clones were matured in a year or less and used mental flash training rather than the kaminoan 10 year regimen. And there were billions of them. When Grievous attacked Coruscant the Republic home fleet was suddenly reinforced by a gigantic new fleet with the Spaarti clones. The CIS were on the run and the Empire had a ready made army to perform a mass occupation of the galaxy as part of Palpy's scheme.

As with everything with stuff like that, it's a mess. Numbers are thrown around based on the figures from Attack of the Clones ("200,000 units ready and a million more well on the way"), but then basically every work after massively inflates them and some numbers are used in different ways, with some places having armies in the hundreds of thousands at bases waiting to be deployed while heavy fighting is going on elsewhere, implying the army is easily in the millions or billions very quickly. IIRC they'd need something close to a million alone just for the ships and troops shown at Geonosis. The 3 million figure is used in a few different sources, but for very different things, including the size of the clone army at both the beginning before heavy combat and end of the war when the fighting stops but presumably it's had years to be built up.

The Essential Guide to Warfare, which tries to reconcile a lot of these things, says that the original order by Sifo-Dyas was for 3 million combat troops, not including support personal, ship crews, pilots, and whatnot. That order quickly gets increased once the war starts, and then the Spaarti clones come along to get the numbers up much faster as the war spreads. There's also implied to be various planetary and sector defense forces that would assist the clones, and those may be lumped into the banner of Republic Army and Navy as well (In the old EU, this was done to try and reconcile the many older sources claiming the Republic had a military of some size that formed the basis of the Empire's military, with Dreadnaughts and Victory class ships running around, with the prequels implying the Republic had no real standing army or navy at all).

Whatever the case, there's basically a bottomless supply of clones for the Republic once the war actually gets going.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

skasion posted:

As far as the general public knows, Palpatine was given emergency powers to lawfully create an army to fight the separatists, and then immediately deployed an army under Yoda to attack the separatists on Geonosis and save the senator. The whole thing about Sifo Dyas is a secret that Obi-wan finds out when he wasn’t supposed to, not the official explanation.

Pretty much this. The war spread extremely quickly, so news of battles and planets getting ravaged drew attention from how the clones got there to what was going on now and what would happen next. I’d imagine the sudden appearance of the droid armies (Or the sheer size of them, since at least the original Trade Federation one was somewhat known) was a similar shock.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 17, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

This thread has gotten loving awful. Shut it down till Friday morning.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

A.o.D. posted:

Forgotten Weapons has thoroughly ruined Star Wars blasters for me.

Tag yourself. I'm the hotchkiss married to a Vicker's water jacket with a muzzle brake (on a recoil operated gun!!!) tacked on.

The Sten-MG34 combo thing in the middle irrationally aggravates me, yet it’d also be perfect for Star Wars.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Its Coke posted:

what were those things Gideon was looking at at the end of the episode?

Sexborgs :roboluv:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

teagone posted:

If Michael Biehn ends up being Kyle Katarn, I will lose my poo poo.

I didn’t even know Michael Biehn was gonna be in this season at all until it’s been brought up today. Now I want him to be Dash Rendar.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

CelticPredator posted:

Me to Disney: don’t you fuckin dare. You get the real palpy or none at all.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cage Kicker posted:

At this point the New Republic group that comes in to save the day at the end is gonna be Wraith Squadron, and they all appear on screen and are referred to by name

:hellyeah: I’m down with this.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Frankenstyle posted:

Dammit. You had me all excited until I found out I can't play it yet. Now you have me re-installing X-Wing alliance to scratch that itch.

If you haven’t tried it, the new Squadrons game is quite good. They’re also adding the B-wing and TIE Defender around Christmas!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey forgotten weapons / gun nuts can you tell me what LMG was used as the basis for Cara's repeating blaster?

A Bren Mk 1.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ah, okay. I recognized the MG34 dual drum but the rest of the gun wasn't nearly boxy enough

I was the other way, I recognized the big early Bren drum sight thing almost instantly when it was in the show, but didn't know what the rest of it came from.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Caros posted:

I'm shocked that we went two pages of EU discussion without mentioning Lord Nyax, the dark Jedi equivalent of broly who appeared for one book mid vong stuff with lightsaber knees.

Technically two, as the teenager that dude was based on before he got all augmented with extra lightsabers first appeared in Children of the Jedi.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Just chiming in to say I grinned like a massive idiot when Thrawn got name dropped.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Folks we're going to have to face facts. We're going to have to admit to ourselves that Grogu is....a stupid name.

What was that poo poo from the EU, cortosis?

Yeah. It’s still in the new canon, a few of the new novels have used it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Phylodox posted:

If I remember right, cortosis wasn’t impervious to lightsabers, it deactivated them on contact, didn’t it?

Yeah. Something about the energy being redirected back and shutting the lightsaber down for a bit.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

The Last Call posted:

Not all the time but it could happen, but it wasn't a 100% to happen thing. Still if it did, the Jedi just lost their primary tool for several minutes and you know that's not good.

I think there was also something about it absorbing blaster bolts too, cause I know one of the new canon books has Thrawn and Anakin finding droids being built with cortosis armor, but I don’t recall the details offhand. Either way, it’s another old EU thing that’s survived to the new in a similar form.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

Name owns, gently caress the haters.

Also add me to the list of people asking for sequel trilogy discussion to find another thread.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

CelticPredator posted:

He'd be old. I like his youthful energy and wearyness. He's kinda fun when he's all "awww so cute beedee" . Kind of a nice break from sad broody characters.

Yeah, IIRC Fallen Order is only 5-10 years after Revenge of the Sith, so they’d have to age him up quite a bit for something set 5~ years after Return of the Jedi.

EDIT:

Now there’s an image I haven’t seen in a long time. A long time...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

Probably but I’ll hold out for my boy Kyle.

Comedy option:

Corran Horn, only this version:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Spookydonut posted:

The true hero of star war is Wedge

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Smythe posted:

put a vibroblade bayonette on it

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
If it stops sequel chat, keep doing it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody get on deviantart and search Boba Fatt, I’m too scared.

In a case of funny timing, this got posted in another thread a few days ago:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

So Dark Troopers are robots? I thought they were Krenec's personal guard in Rogue ONe

Krennic’s guys are Death Troopers.

Efb

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

gizmojumpjet posted:

It was filmed on location in Korea.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ruddiger posted:

Is Yaddle still considered in continuity? Ashoka said she only knew of one other like Baby Yoda, so she never knew Yaddle even tho she was on the council? Wait, was Yaddle on the council?

IIRC, she’s on the Jedi council in The Phantom Menace, so she’s always canon. She’s just stepped away from the council and taken a reduced role by the time of the Clone Wars.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

If we get a space battle before it’s all said and done, I want those two Xwing pilots to show up and just absolutely wreck Gideon’s tie fighters all by themselves like it’s just another Tuesday at the office.

In lieu of Rogue Squadron, this would be acceptable.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Epi Lepi posted:

Give us the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy and don’t make it make any more sense. In fact give me more backstabbing!

How much more can they fit in?

Also, give me Rogue and/or Wraith Squadrons! :argh:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Madurai posted:

This, but Rat Patrol: Star Wars

Womprat Patrol is right there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Can someone give a summary of what Star Wars stuff they announced? I just checked the stream and it's phone stuff. Did they announce everything they planned to, or is more coming later in this nonsense?