Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

A Story About My Uncle is a 2014 adventure platformer game, developed by Gone North Games and published by Coffee Stain Studios (of Goat Simulator fame). It is a first-person platformer game with a movement "gimmick", a type of game I generally think of as a Portal-like. The game actually had a very interesting development path. Originally created as a school project in 2012, it was released as a free demo, and then nominated for Game of the Year at the Swedish Game Awards. The creators founded Gone North Games and partnered with Coffee Stain Studios to completely remake the game with professional support and then release it commercially.

This game is unlike most of the other stuff I LP, and it's not very long, but I just found it so charming that I wanted to show it off to people. It's a nice, cute, low intensity game, and a good opportunity for Swordfishhh, Cletus, and I to knock the rust off our commentary skills before starting on a bigger project. Sit back and enjoy the story.

Videos:
01 - Sanctuary
02 - The Village
03 - The Chasms
04 - Star Haven
05 - The Caves
06 - The End

Starting with this series I also started a Twitter if you're into that kind of thing.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

01 - Sanctuary

We start our adventure and discover a strange new world...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, this game.

I got this game either for free or very cheap during a steam sale last year. I played it for 40 minutes, which, because I wanted to explore every nook and cranny, took me like halfway through this first level. Then I put it down and for whatever reason I didn't pick it up again.

I don't mind you showing what I missed so I can just sit back and watch.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This seems like a chill little game. I look forward to seeing more of it.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Game is currently on sale in steam for 5$ US.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

RichardA posted:

Game is currently on sale in steam for 5$ US.

Hey good call. For $5 it's probably worth giving a shot. I got it for like $3 CDN last year sometime I think.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think I kind of breezed through this when I played it a while ago so I hope you'll see some things I missed.

It is a pretty chill game but they definitely leaned slightly into playing it for speedruns, when you release and where you grapple can have a not insignificant effect on your momentum.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I tried this game out recently and just found it very slow and, I guess, deliberate? The way you have to land between jumps and then look around for the next place to go to was exactly the opposite of how I wanted to move around. I felt like I should be able to run and jump and swing pretty much constantly but the game just didn't seem to want me to do that at all. Also, I found the framing story pretty annoying - the guy talks so slowly and there's just nothing interesting to me about the story he's telling. And following the trail of symbols felt very aimless; I wanted a goal, or at least some idea of where I was headed. But everywhere looks the same and there's no sense that you're moving toward anything.

I am just curious enough to watch someone else play it though.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Did anyone else notice inaccuracies with the map? I thought they got a few details wrong, like countries not existing or borders being wrong, but it might have just been them using colors that didn't contrast well enough.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kibayasu posted:

I think I kind of breezed through this when I played it a while ago so I hope you'll see some things I missed.

There's definitely some stuff below the surface if you look for it. I'll show off what I know about.

Tiggum posted:

I tried this game out recently and just found it very slow and, I guess, deliberate? The way you have to land between jumps and then look around for the next place to go to was exactly the opposite of how I wanted to move around. I felt like I should be able to run and jump and swing pretty much constantly but the game just didn't seem to want me to do that at all.

I totally know what you mean, from what I remember I was expecting something a little more fast-paced based on the trailer. You definitely need to lean into it being a slow, chill game instead of fast action like Mirror's Edge. Or lean into the time trial thing I guess.

White Coke posted:

Did anyone else notice inaccuracies with the map? I thought they got a few details wrong, like countries not existing or borders being wrong, but it might have just been them using colors that didn't contrast well enough.

It's definitely screwy, and also another example of a map that ignores New Zealand.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's definitely screwy, and also another example of a map that ignores New Zealand.

I didn't notice that. What I saw was that China had Kyrgyzstan, and India has Kashmir and a bunch of Pakistan.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

02 - The Village

We continue to explore and meet a new friend.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Huh. I wasn't expecting this game to have NPCs.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Maybe the frog people get most of their food from outside the village gardens, like with hunting or fishing? I thought I saw water at the bottom of some of the pits. Plus if they're cold-blooded they might not eat nearly as much as a human of comparable size would. And maybe they need to implant their tadpoles in human hosts, like Mind Flayers, so their population won't expand uncontrollably.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I never watched Maddie dive off the edge. She must be one hell of a climber :v:

White Coke posted:

Maybe the frog people get most of their food from outside the village gardens, like with hunting or fishing? I thought I saw water at the bottom of some of the pits. Plus if they're cold-blooded they might not eat nearly as much as a human of comparable size would. And maybe they need to implant their tadpoles in human hosts, like Mind Flayers, so their population won't expand uncontrollably.

Well that got dark.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

White Coke posted:

It's not that kind of game.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

It's not that kind of game.

I just wanted to add a little joke at the end along the lines of the Malthusian trap comment.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

White Coke posted:

I just wanted to add a little joke at the end along the lines of the Malthusian trap comment.

I liked it, but I had to admit I did a double take. I read the sentence about being cold-blooded and I thought it was actually an interesting point. And then I read the next sentence and went "wait, what?!"

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
I'm thinking the child size suit wasn't meant for you. It tracks with Madie being excited about the Crystal Samuel had.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I like Mady, she's adorable and I hope nothing bad happens to her.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started watching and the storytelling aspect sort of reminds me of What Remains of Edith Finch.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Wa11y posted:

I'm thinking the child size suit wasn't meant for you. It tracks with Madie being excited about the Crystal Samuel had.

I actually really like this point. But, as far as we know Fred hasn't been back and forth between worlds. He just disappeared, and surely he would have told us about it, right?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I started watching and the storytelling aspect sort of reminds me of What Remains of Edith Finch.

Ah, I've had that game on my steam wishlist for a long time now, but never quite pulled the trigger on it. I thought it looked neat.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 13, 2020

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

03 - The Chasms

We brave the darkness and overcome an unexpected challenge.

Edit: I guess I should mention at this point that it would be easy to use Maddie's book to translate the words that I haven't so far, but I would ask you not to. There is a reason I am leaving them and it will be revealed later.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 15, 2020

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I like how the game's story isn't just being narrated but is the kind of story a father would tell his young daughter. It makes the narration add more to the story than it would otherwise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not just the darkness but the scale of the darkness really does add to the mildly creepy vibe. Like staring into the ocean from the edge of the continental shelf.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - Star Haven

We breathe the fresh air and marvel at the colors in the sky.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is where I started really regretting my choice to play with a controller. Some of those jumps really require you to grapple precisely and quickly, and the mouse makes that a lot easier.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

lol at "Did you like her?" Some strong Hey Arnold energy. "Do you LIKE her like her?"

I keep forgetting that during this the main character is still a kid because the narrator and the way that actual conversation isn't really shown in game, it's just narrated when he responds. I get them not wanting to have another voice actor but when half of a conversation is actual dialogue and the other isn't it just throws me for a loop.

Also this part made me start looking up speedruns but then I realized that would spoil things for me so I'm just going to wait for now.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

ultrafilter posted:

This is where I started really regretting my choice to play with a controller. Some of those jumps really require you to grapple precisely and quickly, and the mouse makes that a lot easier.

Yeah, it was the same with Portal. I played it originally on the xbox, which I didn't think was that bad, but after replaying it on PC I realized that some of the jumps were not meant to be as challenging as they were.

Garrand posted:

I keep forgetting that during this the main character is still a kid because the narrator and the way that actual conversation isn't really shown in game, it's just narrated when he responds. I get them not wanting to have another voice actor but when half of a conversation is actual dialogue and the other isn't it just throws me for a loop.

Yeah the conversation style is a little weird. I actually like it a lot in some places, like the first time we meet Maddie, but other times like the conversation at the end of this video it's hard to tell when the narrator is describing his side of a conversation or just narrating in general.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was kind of bummed when Mady left so quickly but for the length of the game there isn't really any "good" time either. Hopefully they teach her not to jump off of cliffs to get around.

I always assumed the lights in the big rocks were houses or whatever and we only passed through their equivalent of a 1 street town because otherwise the crystals didn't really do that much impressive stuff :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The game you talk about to towards the end is Kubb by the way. A staple of summer activities.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Cooked Auto posted:

The game you talk about to towards the end is Kubb by the way. A staple of summer activities.

Ah, thank you! I knew that setup was way too specific not to be something.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 24, 2020

White Coke
May 29, 2015
We've seen the Swedish anthro-amphibians, when will we find the Finns?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

05 - The Caves

We bundle up and head out on our own again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do not remember destroying a burial ground when I played this. Does that have to happen or can you just go to the opposite path first? What I do remember is hiding grapple points behind blind corners as you go up the ice pillar is when the game really starting to throw me off.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kibayasu posted:

I do not remember destroying a burial ground when I played this. Does that have to happen or can you just go to the opposite path first? What I do remember is hiding grapple points behind blind corners as you go up the ice pillar is when the game really starting to throw me off.

Activating the giant crystal causes a big chunk of ice to fall and clear your path. It might be possible to jump past it, but I doubt it since the first time through I spent 45 minutes trying because I thought it was a secret area.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - The End

We continue through the ice caves and reach the end...

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
What a sweet little story that is. Thanks for the playthrough, I doubt I'd have heard of the game otherwise!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really should've learned to play with the mouse at some point. Nice LP, thanks for doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

CapitanGarlic posted:

What a sweet little story that is. Thanks for the playthrough, I doubt I'd have heard of the game otherwise!

Yeah, I got the game because I thought the grappling hook stuff might be a few hours of fun. The story is what made me come back and decide to LP it.