Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The one off the crossbar should have been the one but lmfao whatever. Just found this thread and I can't wait for my season ticket prices to spike next year. Fuckin go UMass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yes and no. They drink a ton of alcohol, but I wouldn't say they're particularly good at it.

My experience is mostly from the very late '90s/very early '00s SCSU students in Grand Forks, and they did themselves proud.

I would guess that things there could be messy tonight.

Edit: new page, so I'll include context.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I only this week even knew my school was in the Championship but I wish I was still on campus to jump in on the crazy bandwagon now because this is the first thing this school has ever won in my lifetime.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Someone is gonna get a couch on top of the towers in Southwest I'm sure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

habeasdorkus posted:

Someone is gonna get a couch on top of the towers in Southwest I'm sure.

When I was attending I missed out on every sports riot just because of timing. Hope they got some milk from our magnificent world class dining halls for the tear gas.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I was on campus for Super Bowl XLIX and it was pretty fuckin' sweet. It would have been cool to celebrate a school victory but the football team was busy losing every game and the hockey team couldn't even get past the first round of the Hockey East tournament let alone qualify for the national one. Basketball was good I guess? But no one I knew cared about the basketball team :shrug:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I really appreciate all the dunking people are doing on St Cloud right now. It warms my cold heart. That made it 3 Minnesota teams that UMass had to beat to win it I think?

Also, everyone is correct about St Cloud being full of rocks. If they knew how to party and learn, they'd have gone to a real University*.

*I mean, I guess that includes Duluth, but only unintentionally.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I mean, congratulations, I guess. Any lovely team can win one championship. I'm honestly surprised it took this long. The real question is: can they repeat???

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

They're very much on track to keep this up. Even without being a homer, they've been in the last two championships and have very clearly turned their program around under Carvel. This title clearly wasn't a fluke given the last few years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah full credit to UMass, they were an afterthought for quite a while until the last few years

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Glad to see the thread moving on to next season. Time to forget all about the season which just concluded.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CCHAHockey/status/1383437846459998217

LEGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/1384537006974259205

grats nerds

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I am still mad about the msu implosion. To loving scsu. Those garbage rear end chokers.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Also my wife went to umass and hasn't shut up about "Massachusetts hockey" since.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lol owned

Get his rear end, Mrs jug

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

BUG JUG posted:

Also my wife went to umass and hasn't shut up about "Massachusetts hockey" since.

A Catholic school in Springfield won the national high school championship two weeks after UMass won the Frozen Four. It's been a moment for Western MA hockey. :-p

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

A Catholic school in Springfield won the national high school championship two weeks after UMass won the Frozen Four. It's been a moment for Western MA hockey. :-p

Lols. They beat the cake eaters that had been hanging 7-8 on everyone else. So they too beat a team from Minnesota for it. Good job Massachusetts.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Jhet posted:

Lols. They beat the cake eaters that had been hanging 7-8 on everyone else. So they too beat a team from Minnesota for it. Good job Massachusetts.

Edina didn't even make the state tournament. Not impressed!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
This is pretty interesting.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sport...f6bad5f895.html

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A+. The more D1 teams the better. I’m sure it’ll take a few years to get running and get the program steady. As much as I’m a fan of there being 6(7 now?) D1 programs in Minnesota, it’ll be nice to have more from other places too. I’ll even hope the Gophers (and many other big programs) schedule some games with them to help bring some good attention.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whoa that's awesome. I'd love to see it come to fruition

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2021/05/03_Lindenwood-Hoping-For-Summer.php

Don't remember if Lindenwood was discussed here but it looks like it's finally going down. One thing I don't see addressed anywhere is that they have a D1 women's team but are D2 for all other men's and women's sports. I thought the NCAA had done away with "D1 Hockey but D2/3 for all other sports". It was either all or nothing, from what I understand. Maybe since they already have a women's team they can slide the men's up to D1? Either way, nice to see another school enter the mix.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

I thought the NCAA had done away with "D1 Hockey but D2/3 for all other sports". It was either all or nothing, from what I understand.

I wanna say this was one of those things talked about but never fully executed, or it was specific to either basketball or football. I'm foggy on that though.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bloopsy posted:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2021/05/03_Lindenwood-Hoping-For-Summer.php

Don't remember if Lindenwood was discussed here but it looks like it's finally going down. One thing I don't see addressed anywhere is that they have a D1 women's team but are D2 for all other men's and women's sports. I thought the NCAA had done away with "D1 Hockey but D2/3 for all other sports". It was either all or nothing, from what I understand. Maybe since they already have a women's team they can slide the men's up to D1? Either way, nice to see another school enter the mix.

You can do a DII/DI split for hockey (Lake State, Mankato, Cloud, UMD all do this) because there is no Div II championship for hockey. DIII/DI splits are frowned upon, and Union/RIT, who both moved up to join the grandfathered four (SLU-NY, Clarkson, RPI, and CC) can’t give out scholarships.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

You can do a DII/DI split for hockey (Lake State, Mankato, Cloud, UMD all do this) because there is no Div II championship for hockey. DIII/DI splits are frowned upon, and Union/RIT, who both moved up to join the grandfathered four (SLU-NY, Clarkson, RPI, and CC) can’t give out scholarships.

Huh! well I have learned something today.

And yeah it seems like D-II is a weird void of championships compared to DI and DIII, hell even NAIA

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Troy Queef posted:

Okay, what I'm thinking of may refer to other sports then since from my knowledge all if not most Olympic sports would have a National Championship at the D2 level.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

This didn't even cross my mind when I saw that St Thomas (Minnesota) was moving to D-I hockey next season. Turns out the MAIC kind of kicked them out for being too good at sports and they moved everything to D-I. If I remember anything, D-II is a weird middle of rules about scholarships and it contributes to why it doesn't come up as often.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Huntsville suspended hockey operations due to not finding a conference home for the upcoming season. Not sure what they expected from the CCHA considering they were left behind along with the Alaska schools.

https://www.uscho.com/2021/05/05/as...ns-immediately/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah had a feeling that was coming soon enough. This at least lets their players transfer freely if they wish but I get the sad feeling this is the end for them :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
rip huntsville killed by the coward jim delany

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1392813925692059655

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I hope the players get what they're needing from this? There was an investigation done last year into it, and UMN found out they did a poo poo job for the one season in the 80s with this. So I wouldn't expect they argue about those players' experiences with a sexual predator and I'd hope they can just settle it for the players' sake. That was the season Mike Guentzel was still a student and the year before Doug Woog got the head coaching job. So a long time ago, and a long time for those guys to carry this around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The new CCHA website is up and it looks pretty nice

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CCHAHockey/status/1395455362329944072

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Speaking of Lake St when are they going to update that horrible Office 97 clip art logo? That has to the one of if not the worst non-high school logo I have ever seen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bobby Mo just killed their mens and women's programs

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

goddammit DJExile you beat me by exactly one second

this loving sucks, and sucks on a wider scope for college hockey in the Pittsburgh area too :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah :( I love this game but it's an absolute money sink for any program that isn't North Dakota, Minnesota, and maybe Boston College. Their statement said it's not COVID related but there's absolutely no way the pandemic (I think they played their whole season with an empty arena) didn't hasten things along. Every school's looking hard at their balance sheets right now and the costs of an on-campus arena are just enormous. Especially when I think RMU's enrollment is... christ, maybe 4,500? I know it's a really small school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

Dang it, bobby!

Sucks for them as this isn't the same type of situation as UAH. Maybe Pitt or Duquesne can move up to fill the void?