Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

any scooter owners? how much indignity do you suffer? i want to get a repsol livery aparilia sr50 and shred like marquez

i fully low sided a honda big ruckus on koh chang and almost died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
are you 15?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I refurbished and rode one of these bad boys around my suburban town in high school, and then on campus in college. Great memories.

(not my pic - mine was green and aptly named "the Green Machine" after the Kyuss song, in particular.

Vintage stylin' enough but I could never quite get the carburetor right - at least once a month it seemed like I had to tweak something on the old fucker.

And the thing couldn't really push past 33 mph, so even though I was going the speed limit I had some really unpleasant run-ins with Surburban Dipshit/Karen-types who, I guess the quirky colored bike just brought out the utter fink in them.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 25, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I bought a scooter last year and it's pretty fun. It's a 150 so I need a motorcycle license but so far I got my temps last year and renewed them this year. Not sure how long I can do that.

This is Blue Lightning. He gets up to about 50mph on a flat road but realistically around 45.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

If you live in a city they make a lot of sense. Used to have one of these until some rear end in a top hat stole it:

Over here the electric ones are capped at 32 km/h (about 20mph) but regulated like bikes, so no license, no insurance, free parking anywhere and it costs less than 20 cents for a full charge.
50 to 70km per charge so you go for days before plugging in unless you're a delivery driver or something.

You also get to drive past everyone stuck in traffic.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I had a Honda Elite 80 in high school. Back then you could ride them with your learner's permit at 15 years old. Goddamn FREEDOM! Surprising amount of storage in the front, and could also carry a friend.
80 cc's is minimal though. I could maybe hit 50 mph on a flat. Up hills was much worse. Friends that had 150 and 250s could travel into the foothills and local mountains for a much wider range of exploration; definitely get something in that higher range if you want more than a local commuter.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 25, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Internetjack posted:

I had a Honda Elite 80 in high school. Back then you could ride them with your learner's permit at 15 years old. Goddamn FREEDOM! Surprising amount of storage in the front, and could also carry a friend.
80 cc's is minimal though. I could maybe hit 50 mph on a flat. Up hills was much worse. Friends that had 150 and 250s could travel into the foothills and local mountains for a much wider range of exploration; definitely get something in that higher range if you want more than a local commuter.

I have an old elite 150, they're fun as gently caress to tool around on, reliable and I think they still look sharp.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I would love to have the frame of an Honda Helix with electric internals:

Status symbol: obsolete.

:colbert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've seen one of those around here and they look super cool. SOOOO 80s futuristic style.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've seen one of those around here and they look super cool. SOOOO 80s futuristic style.

I know them because of someone having one in my former neighborhood and it was love at first sight. It's like the Delorean of scooters.

Thank you for the scooter lovers thread OP.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

All of eastern Asia and a ton of Europe is 15.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
When I went to India, everybody over there had like 3 scooters. One guy asked me how many scooters typical american families had. I told him that american families typically look down on scooters as baby's first motorized mode of transportation, and they had a jolly laugh while calling them morons.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's like the Delorean of scooters.

It reminds me of a scooter station wagon

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It reminds me of a scooter station wagon

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Shifty gimbal posted:

When I went to India, everybody over there had like 3 scooters. One guy asked me how many scooters typical american families had. I told him that american families typically look down on scooters as baby's first motorized mode of transportation, and they had a jolly laugh while calling them morons.
similar experience in thailand friggin like grandmas and toddlers of scoots, sometimes both at once

over there i always rented a honda grom 125 cc if i could find one, clutch dump redline launch all day

now thats a fun bike

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The grom is fun thats for sure.

I have an old honda 250 elite.

I had a vespa 250 and that was just great untill it was stolen.

my first honda 250 was also stolen.

Understand you want insurance.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
I want to steal a scooter

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think they're for sale.

I never really saw the appeal of scooters, I think if I had to fight through city traffic every day I'd get small bike like a Grom or Eliminator. Still slow as poo poo but look more fun (and less embarrassing). Though I suppose if you only really saw it as a way to get from A to B, scooters are more practical.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Free Cheese posted:

I want to steal a scooter

Next scooter I'll get a GPS tracker and loving find you this time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mobby_6kl posted:

I never really saw the appeal of scooters, I think if I had to fight through city traffic every day I'd get small bike like a Grom or Eliminator. Still slow as poo poo but look more fun (and less embarrassing). Though I suppose if you only really saw it as a way to get from A to B, scooters are more practical.

I get like 60+ mpg.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

If you're embarassed to ride around in a scooter, you can tell everyone it's just a way of getting to your truck and show them this:

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I DIY-ed an eBike that goes around 25 mph so it's like an underpowered scooter with worse brakes but my current record from 6th and Tasker to 16th and Market (Philadelphia) is 14 minutes. I hope to upgrade to a 2000 watt motor soon and break the 40 mph barrier so I can do it in 10. I like my ebike better because I can pick it up and easily walk it on the sidewalk. Highly recommend it if you live in the city.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 25, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I always wanted a scarabeo 500: classic vespa style but with a 500cc engine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I would like a scooter that's basically a one seater car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

I would like a scooter that's basically a one seater car.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I get like 60+ mpg.
I didn't mean as opposed to cars, but small bikes, I'd assume the Grom would be similar if not better. Some of them aren't that impressove anyway though, I can get over 30 in the Miata which is a low price to pay for a lot of extra power, an optional roof over your head and two extra wheels.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

As Nero Danced posted:

I always wanted a scarabeo 500: classic vespa style but with a 500cc engine.
That sounds exciting.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 26, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

get a second hand one with a poorly maintained engine so that it sounds like a loving chainsaw when you push it past 5mph

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Get a decent looking scooter if you must get one.

The ones posted so far just look like someone has added fins to a gopher.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

When I took a motorcycle safety class back in like 2001, there was this mid-40s overweight dude in the class who would not shut the gently caress up about scooters. He kept going on and on describing what he liked about this model or why that model was superior. I felt really bad for him because he seemed like a super nice guy but he was completely loving obsessed about goddamn scooters.

He failed the road test at the end of the class and I never saw him again.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
a scooter is a fine thing to buy used but if youre buying one new and dont have a bunch of duis you should probably get this instead
https://www.amazon.com/Lifan-Motorcycle-KPR-200-Injection/dp/B0887XPBNT
gas mileage about as good as the best scooter but goes like 85mph

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just saw a kid on a little old Honda moped bust a wheelie going through a very busy nyc intersection

I like that kid

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
OP, here's a song for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhoLcsr8GA

I think that when you get one, you should get a small tank and rig it so it drips right into the muffler. Fill it with nitromethane, drip some in when things are hot, and use the muffler as a mini-JATO bottle to give you some extra takeoff speed.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 26, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think they're for sale.

How much? How much is the scooter?!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 26, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
ATGAT, op. All the gear, all the time. A scooter accident can leave you with a clamshell fracture of the groin and half your skin ground off just as easy as a literbike. So wear full protective gear every time you ride. Because we love you

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vim Fuego posted:

ATGAT, op. All the gear, all the time. A scooter accident can leave you with a clamshell fracture of the groin and half your skin ground off just as easy as a literbike. So wear full protective gear every time you ride. Because we love you

Yes. Please wear a helmet. I was a firefighter. There are no helmet laws in Wisconsin and MOST of the people here don't wear them because they're tough guy loving idiots.

On my scooter I wear a helmet, this motorcycle jacket with built in armor, and gloves. 35mph is 35mph regardless of what mode of transportation you are on. You can crack your skull open waiting at a stop light and falling over on concrete.

gently caress if anyone thinks I look stupid. I hear having skin is the new cool thing.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 26, 2020

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's a 60 to 100$ fine here if you don't wear a helmet. That and potentially ending up brain dead. Wear a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Scooty boi