Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland is the loose end of a trilogy with Underground 1 & 2, utilizing a similar free-roam control scheme but expanded even further and now set in the open world sandbox of Los Angeles. Where the two THUG games sat on opposite ends of the story-to-anarchy spectrum, THAW finds a nice middle-ground: your player character travels to LA to escape their crappy home and embrace the skater life, falls in with a group of skate punks, and joins them on a journey to make their secret skate park the best in LA... by wrecking and stealing other parts of LA.
While the game is baby's-first-Tony Hawk easy, the controls are some of the nicest in the franchise. Too bad everyone including your character is an aggressive douchebag.

The LP
JigglyJacob takes lead for the Story Mode, handling the game's Xbox 360 version. I (ThornBrain) join him on co-commentary and will cover the Classic Mode on the PC version at the end of the LP.

The Music
To avoid issues with copyright bots and the like, the game's usual soundtrack has been muted and replaced with Tony Hawk-appropriate music from myself and several musician friends. Ignore that I'm not from LA and they're not even from California.
Music by: ThornBrain | Big Time Kill | smell | Fatigue | Gramlins | Sawtooth

What About THUG2?
Both Jacob and I had massive recording issues with it, so we're skipping it for now. We'll try again after THAW.

----------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had to look it up because I was so bothered by it.

Mindy is voiced by Cree Summer. Which had me very confused because I couldn't stop thinking about Codename Kids Next Door as she was talking and Numbah 5's older sister is named Cree and that had me convinced that that couldn't be her name.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This iteration of Tiddy is already getting on my nerves. The lack of outright character customization also feels like one of those "but why?" things.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I had to look it up because I was so bothered by it.

Mindy is voiced by Cree Summer. Which had me very confused because I couldn't stop thinking about Codename Kids Next Door as she was talking and Numbah 5's older sister is named Cree and that had me convinced that that couldn't be her name.

Cree from KND is also voiced by Cree Summer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - Walking In The Footsteps of Sparrow. :v:

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I remember playing this and the most that I can remember about it is that there was this feeling of something just not clicking in this game. Like it isn't broken but things just didn't go together for this game. Anyway interested in seeing where this leads.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of the aesthetic a big-name video game or anything like it that leans so heavily into punk is always going to come off feeling a bit "how do you do fellow kids" even without painting it with the same mid-2000's brush as everything else.

Man having to learn the basics just to do them would mess with my head. Like, I get it, its a tutorial and you get them right quick but stopping manuals and reverts at this point in the series until you're told about them? Nah man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kangra posted:

Cree from KND is also voiced by Cree Summer.

Yeah, I was like 'she sounds just like her- oh hell, what was her name?' and completely forgot about the Tony Hawk game because this got pushed to the front of the line in things I was thinking of.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Walking in LA?

Walking in LA?

Nobody walks in LA!

Sorry, had to do it soon as I saw the thread title. Out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At least you're not walking in Memphis. :v:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Commander Keene posted:

At least you're not walking in Memphis. :v:

How could they skate with their feet ten feet off of Beale?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

All of my best friends screamed in my face when we first met too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sandman hass no inside of his mouth.

Why can you see through his throat?

WHY CAN YOU SEE THROUGH HIS THROAT?!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sandman hass no inside of his mouth.

Why can you see through his throat?

WHY CAN YOU SEE THROUGH HIS THROAT?!

He had to get a back alley tracheostomy to help solve his mucus problem.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I can't say I believe you can destroy so much of LA and not immediately get the cops on you. Now, Oakland...

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Oh man, I love looking at all those :airquote: naked ladies :airquote: in looks at notes Beaverly Hills

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Even by the standards of video game plots, this one is extremely dumb. It might almost work if it was played up as a parody of the "skateboarders are a menace to society" attitude, but there's no suggestion of that, it's just literally stealing landmarks by skateboarding on them. I'd like to know how they came to this. Like, did it start out as something more reasonable and then gradually shift into this form and by the time anyone stepped back and looked at the whole thing it was too far along to change it? Or was it literally a five minute, who-gives-a-poo poo process where they didn't even bother trying to link the story to the gameplay and just told the staff to make it happen? But why even bother in that case? Just put challenges to skate on various things in the world and then have those things just appear in your fantasy skate park that, obviously, your characters can't actually build but you can teleport to in-game at any time as a fantasy sequence. Or don't even bother with that much. You don't need any explanation for it at all. I don't think anyone would care?

It also seems to be trying to walk this extremely fine line where the characters are cool, rebellious criminals but don't actually do any real crimes (other than magical skate-based theft of landmarks).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I assume they started with the idea of a plot based around building up a cool skatepark by scavenging parts from around the city.

Having your skating tricks cause ridiculous amounts of destruction is a Tony Hawk's staple, ever since you could grind a helicopter wing to turn it on and get it crashing through the roof. Especially following on the heels of THUG2 which was pure destructive id, I can see how they landed on "do skate tricks on cool architecture to break it and loot it for your skate park".

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"We're just having fun, man!" while what you're doing is not "supposed" to be done but doesn't really hurt anything is a pretty common idea for rebellious stuff. But yeah noticing the destruction is really the effect of transporting what was always done in the series into a more recognizable place.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I don't feel very zen after this, gotta say

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"I'm kinda proud of what I did here." The timing. :roflolmao:

How does he have any face left at all after this episode? Especially the beginning?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

ThornBrain posted:

I don't feel very zen after this, gotta say

Robert M. Pirsig would be so disappointed.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Oh my god, so much cringe! :doh:

Yeah, I'm sure the guy who was in seclusion and casually threw his "friend's" skateboard into a woodchipper labeled for trespassers is gonna be thrilled with what Tiddy just did! He's just gonna be upset you didn't give out his home address, phone number, e-mail, and measurements.

Was definitely amused by the competition just eating poo poo like that, though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Iggy goes *pop*

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I looked up "Patrick Smell 20" like you said to but all I found were pages about Spongebob.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You guys mentioned in your commentary but I was starting to notice it myself, a lot of the models really do look like a bunch of middle aged men. Our hero and friends are obviously all younger but so many of the guys he meets are like an early version of the dad-boarders in the re-release of 1 and 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am loving these silly little asides Jacob(?) or Thorn(?) ( I have no idea who's editing these) is putting into these videos.

Really standing by my earlier assessment that it's weird how heavily the game is structured around skateboarding. Do these tricks to shatter these stairs and I'll haul them over to your skate park??? So weird. I wish there was a skateboarding game that went totally over the top about using skateboarding to solve the world's problems. Doing 720's to knock out bank robbers, cancelling out tornadoes by spinning in the opposite direction, some other skateboarding trick to blow up a meteor. Stuff like that.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Yeah, it's weird to me that this game is both super cartoony in its basic mechanics and concept, but also, the art style and the plot are way too grounded to work with that? Like, if the graphical design was more colorful and characters were more cartoonish, your wacky antics and mayhem would just gel better, instead of just coming off so self-aggrandizing with the very sincere main plot where you make an anarchic space to resist the hegemony of strip malls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Precambrian posted:

Yeah, it's weird to me that this game is both super cartoony in its basic mechanics and concept, but also, the art style and the plot are way too grounded to work with that? Like, if the graphical design was more colorful and characters were more cartoonish, your wacky antics and mayhem would just gel better, instead of just coming off so self-aggrandizing with the very sincere main plot where you make an anarchic space to resist the hegemony of strip malls.

Hell yeah. Acid drop onto a cartoonish box detonator to blow up the Hollywood sign and steal it.

With how the N64 Tony Hawk game had you starting a helicopter and launching it out of a warehouse by grinding its propeller, I'm surprised I haven't seen a way over the top skateboarding game like that all the time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

I am loving these silly little asides Jacob(?) or Thorn(?) ( I have no idea who's editing these) is putting into these videos.

Really standing by my earlier assessment that it's weird how heavily the game is structured around skateboarding. Do these tricks to shatter these stairs and I'll haul them over to your skate park??? So weird. I wish there was a skateboarding game that went totally over the top about using skateboarding to solve the world's problems. Doing 720's to knock out bank robbers, cancelling out tornadoes by spinning in the opposite direction, some other skateboarding trick to blow up a meteor. Stuff like that.

It’s not quite this nuts but AirBlade is a skating game where you solve corporate evil with a skateboard.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hell yeah. Acid drop onto a cartoonish box detonator to blow up the Hollywood sign and steal it.

With how the N64 Tony Hawk game had you starting a helicopter and launching it out of a warehouse by grinding its propeller, I'm surprised I haven't seen a way over the top skateboarding game like that all the time.

Hell, I've played Tony Hawk games playing as Spider Man and Boba Fett. They clearly are only so concerned with realism, even before the weird trick physics.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Not the most yikes guy in the game, but it sure tracks with the rest of it

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Given that this game was presumably aimed at mid-2000s teens, how many people do you think actually understood the "Fonzie" reference?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
All that flipping around to move faster, or extend the combo, or whatever, reminds me of Vanquish. But then a lot of stuff reminds me of Vanquish.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

"You grind it, and it raises up at an angle" -Jacob, 2021

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Tony Kawfka's American Wasteman

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Boone's really lucky that fall damage doesn't exist in the world of Tony Hawk.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gee if only Iggy had, I don't know, told anyone he didn't own the land and that they should keep things quiet. :jerkbag:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Poil posted:

Gee if only Iggy had, I don't know, told anyone he didn't own the land and that they should keep things quiet. :jerkbag:

Yeah, Tiddy's being really lovely, but when you don't tell people important things, don't blame them for messing up the thing they don't know about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for a conveyor belt of pros to make their contractual appearances