Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was gifted a Dioscorea elephantipes.

Caudex size is maybe twenty‐five millimetres. It has very new growth.

Anyone have care tips? My major options are to put it on a windowsill or keep it in warm, relatively humid greenhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Pour one out for me

My groundskeepers accidentally destroyed a 6 month old choko/Mirlton vine I've been working on

I don't have high hopes :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jestery posted:

Pour one out for me

My groundskeepers accidentally destroyed a 6 month old choko/Mirlton vine I've been working on

I don't have high hopes :(

Cuz I got low low hopes for a choko
Thought it might survive but it’s really really broko

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Legit wish there was a way to legally kill deer inside city limits

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oil of Paris posted:

I know the feeling

But it's federally protected turkeys

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I chased around 15 out of the back yesterday. They’ve bitten the tips of poo poo that they’re not even supposed to eat, like rhododendron and magnolias. They’ve even hosed up one of the beautiful buds of the edgeworthia. So frustrating, I wish they’d decide to snack on the foxglove or lily of the valley, such fuckers

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Even the Cladrastis kentukea got bit on one of the ends and it’s a fuckin foot tall twig lmao

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Deer are the worst. The stinky spray stuff does sort of mostly kind of work, but you have to re-apply fairly regularly. Otherwise-fences. You don't have to make your plants unreachable, just make them harder to get than your neighbors'.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

Do you legit have an ordinance protecting the deer, or is it more a firearms/public endangerment-type thing?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
It’s a town ordinance against firing guns/ hunting in general, also im double hosed bc I live directly beside an elementary school lol

And yeah I need to get fencing up around the more precious saplings, that’s a next week plan, I used to use the liquid fence but ran out and haven’t made it back to the tractor supply to restock, but I thought it worked well

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

And yeah I need to get fencing up around the more precious saplings, that’s a next week plan, I used to use the liquid fence but ran out and haven’t made it back to the tractor supply to restock, but I thought it worked well
Ten or so years ago I worked for a company that sold all kinds of wildlife control stuff and the sheer number of different kinds of piss you could get to try and get deer to gently caress off was astounding. I've yet to see a deer here, fingers crossed.

I had vole problems this year that I put in a bunch of those little solar powered vibrating things in to deal with (I was surprised that they seem to have actually worked) but now I'm slightly paranoid that with the snow those little fuckers will be tunneling around and chewing up all of my plants.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

It’s a town ordinance against firing guns/ hunting in general, also im double hosed bc I live directly beside an elementary school lol

A town ordinance against "hunting in general"? That can't be a thing. So like, say you hypothetically walked up to a deer in your yard and just started biting it until it died. No traps, no potential public endangerment, no violation of protected habitat, just the platonic ideal scenario of you and a deer, in your yard, in mortal congress. You could be arrested for that?

Edit: Jokes aside, you'd probably be cited for animal abuse. There's actually no good way to live by Beast Law in the realm of Man.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 23, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

A town ordinance against "hunting in general"? That can't be a thing. So like, say you hypothetically walked up to a deer in your yard and just started biting it until it died. No traps, no potential public endangerment, no violation of protected habitat, just the platonic ideal scenario of you and a deer, in your yard, in mortal congress. You could be arrested for that?

Edit: Jokes aside, you'd probably be cited for animal abuse. There's actually no good way to live by Beast Law in the realm of Man.
Nice post/red text combo, lol.

Most towns have laws against discharging a firearm within city limits, and most states have laws prohibiting hunting with X feet of a public road etc. My mom is from the country and the deer up there are awful. We’ve tried about everything and fences seem to be the best, at least for the first few years for stuff to get established. Deer also REALLY like new plants because they’re juiced so full of fertilizer from the nursery that they have much more tender, delicious, nutritious growth than stuff growing in plain ole dirt.

Planting non-preferred species (there is no such thing as deer resistant, lol) helps a ton too, and those tend to mostly be the old fashioned plants I like anyway. They really don’t like gladiolus, iris, crinums, gingers (mostly), camellias, indica azaleas, narcissus/daffodils etc. They really absolutely do love roses, daylillies, hydrangeas, and hostas. They definitely will eat magnolias (esp. the buds of deciduous ones) and even the leathery leaves of southern magnolia if they’re really hungry. I’m going to try some agapanthus up there this year too-I doubt they will bother them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Nice post/red text combo, lol.

Most towns have laws against discharging a firearm within city limits, and most states have laws prohibiting hunting with X feet of a public road etc. My mom is from the country and the deer up there are awful. We’ve tried about everything and fences seem to be the best, at least for the first few years for stuff to get established. Deer also REALLY like new plants because they’re juiced so full of fertilizer from the nursery that they have much more tender, delicious, nutritious growth than stuff growing in plain ole dirt.

I had forgotten about the “hunting near a public road” prohibitions. Joking aside, all of the complicated legalese around dealing with animals and animal carcasses around roads, and what constitutes “hunting” vs “collecting” vs “euthanasia” etc in that context is actually really interesting, both from a conservation biology and wildlife management standpoint and from an ethics/philosophy/social studies/legal studies standpoint.

Like, if you want to read some really complicated jurisprudence and legal wrangling/legal philosophy, look at stuff on roadkill, of all things.

WRT my red text: Dude, I actually have no idea. I thought my offending post was pretty chill. It got me a probation too, for some reason, so you’re welcome to judge it for yourself :mrgw:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Gonna read that post now and probably laugh.

Deer oh deer. Maybe dig some big pits, nothing bad can go wrong I am sure.

E.lol, wabbits. A customer of mine is like a nature guide/woodsman/self sufficiency (except landscape gardening for some reason) type who is actually pretty famous in Germany.
Anyway, I had never seen how people dispatch rabbits kept for food before, and despite being raised pretty rural I was legit a bit shocked.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 23, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
You... shouldn't shoot things near a school. Just ever!

Deer are a big problem where I grew up. I think you don't even need a license to hunt them in New York state. My mom always did the deer blood thing and they stayed away, but the rabbits were indefatigable.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Just do what I do :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

Pretty much, it’s a functional ban on hunting since you can’t legally trap deer or discharge a projectile within 100 yards of any structure, much less a school. Cities and towns in NC can opt in to allow bow hunting in urban areas during a special season but this isn’t one of those. Also a deer would definitely triumph in hand to horn 1v1 combat against a goon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My mom always did the deer blood thing and they stayed away

Does your mom use store-bought willow branches when performing flesh sacraments, or does she harvest her own? I know that they’re supposed to work equally well, but everybody tells me otherwise.

Also the quoted bit has to be the new thread title

EorayMel posted:

Just do what I do :smug:

Wait, I don’t remember how the old metaphor works: the apples at the bottom of the well are supposed to be goons, but so are the deer at the top, right? And then the apples refuse to get out and so then the deer pee on them? Who’s the skeleton? Is the skeleton Lowtax?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Imgur was having a meltdown yesterday, but here's some Christmas camellias:

The dark purply one is Sawada's Mahogany and I feel like it is finally really making some nice big blooms. They've been much smaller in the past.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Those are gorgeous!!!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

We have the same restrictions on deer in BC. No hunting by any means within 100m of a dwelling. The legal means of dispatching a deer around here also endanger nearby people, so there is no safe and legal way to off the critters at home.
About a decade ago one of the small cities here floated the idea of a limited exception for bow hunting/culling within city limits. Someone wrote in to the paper saying "That's all well and fine for the bow hunters, but what about us apple and hammer hunters?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
here’s the E. trigona “rubra” I got my mom for Christmas:

God, it’s been hard to resist harvesting a branch for myself, but there aren’t any really nice looking ones that wouldn’t be immediately noticeable if removed

Hopefully it stays healthy and happy in its new home. And hopefully it produces some nice cutting candidates at a more appropriate time. I’m worried the roots have gotten beat up too much in transit

serpentcrown
Jul 26, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with gardenias as indoor plants? I got one for Christmas. It didn't come with any species or variety information, so I assume it is just whatever is commonly used in the nursery trade. It's fairly bushy and in a 12" pot at the moment. It's in a sunny window. I mostly want to keep it alive so that the buds open. I imagine that I'll take it outside in the summer. I'm in coastal BC (Zone 7?) if it matters.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Does anyone know what these are and what they want? I was given them by some friends who were moving house and didn't want them. Currently they are just sitting on my lawn. I would like for them to not die.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

serpentcrown posted:

Does anyone have any experience with gardenias as indoor plants? I got one for Christmas. It didn't come with any species or variety information, so I assume it is just whatever is commonly used in the nursery trade. It's fairly bushy and in a 12" pot at the moment. It's in a sunny window. I mostly want to keep it alive so that the buds open. I imagine that I'll take it outside in the summer. I'm in coastal BC (Zone 7?) if it matters.

It would be way happier if you could plant it outside in the ground, they can hang in zone 7b. If that’s not an option or if it’s colder than that, just give it as much light as you can during winter and get it outside come spring, then take it back in during fall. If you decide to repot be very nice and gentle to it and don’t do it again for like a year

Yoruichi posted:

Does anyone know what these are and what they want? I was given them by some friends who were moving house and didn't want them. Currently they are just sitting on my lawn. I would like for them to not die.

Some wild rear end totally yellow or totally dying Crassula. I kid those look dope. What zone are you in?

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 29, 2020

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

New Zealand zone. We get cold wet winters but no frosts, warm but not hot summers. And it's windy as gently caress. They were yellow when I got them, should they not be yellow??

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yoruichi posted:

New Zealand zone. We get cold wet winters but no frosts, warm but not hot summers. And it's windy as gently caress. They were yellow when I got them, should they not be yellow??

I’ve never seen a crassula that yellow before but they don’t look unhealthy either. They might green up a bunch if left outside (you should bring em outside once it warms up).

Crassula jades are excellent, they propagate incredibly easily if you’re halfway competent, and they make wonderful, beginner-friendly bonsai if you’re interested in joining us in that thread.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

I just want to keep them alive! Now that I know what they are (thank you, Oil of Paris) I've looked up how to look after them and I'm afraid they are probably severely waterlogged, given they've been outside (it's summer here) in the pissing rain for the last two weeks...

But the pots do have holes in the bottom so hope is not lost! I've moved them under shelter so they can't get any wetter. The internet tells me I should repot them into dry soil and cut off any rotten roots - should I do this or just wait a bit and see if they green up?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yoruichi posted:

I just want to keep them alive! Now that I know what they are (thank you, Oil of Paris) I've looked up how to look after them and I'm afraid they are probably severely waterlogged, given they've been outside (it's summer here) in the pissing rain for the last two weeks...

But the pots do have holes in the bottom so hope is not lost! I've moved them under shelter so they can't get any wetter. The internet tells me I should repot them into dry soil and cut off any rotten roots - should I do this or just wait a bit and see if they green up?

If they don’t seem like they have root rot (droopy branches, jellylike tissue, stem softness) I’d just put them in the sun/part-sun on dry days and move them under cover when it rains so that they get soaked probably every 21 days or so.

Always best to leave roots alone if there doesn’t seem to be an absolute must to digging around them

The thing about crassula leaves is that they dont really yellow up first if the plant is overwatered, they just kinda get soft and pop off. And if the plant’s underwatered they shrivel up and pop off. So if the leaves are attached, copious, and firm/healthy feeling then the plant is probably at least 60% or 70% of the way toward being healthy.

Edit- the Internet tells me that there’s a yellow jade varietal that looks like yours called Hummel’s Sunset. If the tips are red it’s probably fine and not unhealthy, but also your hunch about overwatering is probably right. Probably not bad enough to repot tho.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 29, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Crassula are pretty hardy. Mine got half-eaten by a cat (cat was fine) and hit by a firework last year, and it's doing great!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Yoruichi posted:

This looks more like sun stress to me than them rotting—partially just because of how even the yellow is and partially because you can see that the intensity of the color is strongest on the leaves that aren't shaded by the rest of the plant. There are some popular Crassula ovata cultivars that have been selected specifically for this kind of coloration. Sun stress is kind of a line riding thing—if you take it too far the plant will be damaged, but a lot of succulents only take on the beautiful coloration you will see in photos if they are getting intense sun.

It's never a bad idea to check a new succulent's roots to see if it's rotting, particularly if it has been getting a ton of rain, but those leaves look reasonably healthy if a little thin. Even if they aren't rotting you may want to check how root-bound those plants are, because it wouldn't surprise me if the one on the left, in particular, is due for some repotting. Edit: Looking more closely the one on the right appears to have an offset right near the edge of the pot so it may also be pretty tight as well.

It looks, though it's hard to tell from the picture, that the person who gave them to you (intelligently) planted them in something that doesn't retain a ton of water. If they are outdoors getting a lot of sun those pots will be drying themselves out pretty fast assuming that they are planted in an appropriate medium.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 29, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If you just moved a plant to a new environment and it doesn’t obviously and immediately require a repot (the roots are coming out, or you pull the plant out and it’s like 100% rootball, visible signs of root binding, etc) I’d wait at least a month before thinking about repotting it. At least observe it for a couple of weeks.

Always best practice to let a plant acclimate as best as possible to a new setting before putting it through the stress of a repot. Not always possible or necessary (and lord knows I’ve repotted plenty of plants straight after getting them home) but it’s advisable.

In any case, I don’t think the pot on the left looks particularly small for the plant that’s in it. It’ll need a repotting eventually but I imagine it’s probably got a bit of time left, unless it was like heavily pruned back, or something of that nature, and the leaves are giving an inaccurate sense of what’s below ground.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Always best practice to let a plant acclimate as best as possible to a new setting before putting it through the stress of a repot. Not always possible or necessary (and lord knows I’ve repotted plenty of plants straight after getting them home) but it’s advisable.

I dunno, I pull everything out of the pot to check it out no matter what it is, and with succulents I repot everything into a gritty mix anyway. I don't find repotting to be terribly stressful for most plants if you are careful not to do undue violence to their roots. Obviously some plants are a lot more sensitive than others but Crassula is pretty hearty.

Ok Comboomer posted:

In any case, I don’t think the pot on the left looks particularly small for the plant that’s in it. It’ll need a repotting eventually but I imagine it’s probably got a bit of time left, unless it was like heavily pruned back, or something of that nature, and the leaves are giving an inaccurate sense of what’s below ground.

The one on the left looks like it may have been trimmed based on the thickness and apparent age of the stem which is why I'd check it out, but who can tell from a photo.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

Thank you for the advice :) I'm going to leave them in a sheltered spot for a week to let them dry out, and see what happens! If they look like they're getting sicker I'll try repotting them, and hopefully if they've got root rot or whatever it won't be too late :ohdear:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Yoruichi posted:

Thank you for the advice :) I'm going to leave them in a sheltered spot for a week to let them dry out, and see what happens! If they look like they're getting sicker I'll try repotting them, and hopefully if they've got root rot or whatever it won't be too late :ohdear:

These things are tough as hell, basically the same as the thing I posted earlier in the thread that got waterlogged and frozen such that all it’s leaves fell off (or were removed), and some major stems turned to mush. I’ve kept it dry and given it light and now it’s coming back to life thanks to the advice from this thread.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

the fart question posted:

I’ve kept it dry and given it light and now it’s coming back to life thanks to the advice from this thread.

Excelsior!
:3
Edit:
The passionfruit vine I planted earlier this year is going gangbusters and is now as tall as a house

Jestery fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Best way to fix a pair of Fiskars loppers that the blades are starting to separate on so they’ll cut clean again?

I wouldn’t mind some recs on a good pair of pruning shears, either. My fruit trees are finally starting to shed their leaves and I need to trim them a bit.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

I. M. Gei posted:

Best way to fix a pair of Fiskars loppers that the blades are starting to separate on so they’ll cut clean again?

I wouldn’t mind some recs on a good pair of pruning shears, either. My fruit trees are finally starting to shed their leaves and I need to trim them a bit.

Can you make a photo? They should have an adjustment screw or something. I have some of the larger Fiskars loppers at work, but I can't remember what they look like.
Otherwise maybe they just need to be honed/sharpened, as the metal starts to deform with repeated use. (I find Fiskars are in general very useful tools but the metal is way too soft)

For pruning shears, it depends on your budget and maybe how strong your hands are.
(Also consider a small pruning saw for cleaner cutting in larger branches (Felco, silky and ARS are all very good, with silky being perhaps "the best" imo))

But please don't get ones with plastic handles; they don't last!

I have a Felco 9, with the steeper cutting angle and 7 with steeper cutting angle and a rolling grip to offer some hand relief.
Felco 2 are the standard model and are fine, but I find them somehow a little cumbersome.

I am sure some people will swear by the Japanese brands, such as Okatsune, but as I have not tried them yet, so I cannot say much!

I can however say that an opening catch at the top is definitely not my thing.
It is in fact very annoying.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

You probably just need to tighten the bolt where they pivot.

Felco and Corona both make good hand pruners. You can get decent corona ones at most big box places. Felco or the fancier Japanese ones you’ll probably have to order.