Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically the problem with all the RPG theory is that it's literally all invented by some greasy weirdo going 'And that's why my game is good and everything I don't like is terrible' and utterly useless for any other purpose than that.

That's too harsh. In the heyday of the Forge they did some good work unpacking assumptions about the way people play RPGs and helping find ways to explain what did or didn't work for them. Ron Edwards tried really hard to talk about S/G/N were not labels for gaming systems, they were ways to describe what a person was in to during what IIRC he called an "instance of play." I still think that's relevant. Unfortunately it got caught up in identity politics and marketing and poo poo while design mostly continued to stagnate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Illusionism sounds like something a fat turn of the century Southern politician would angrily accuse his opponent of.

All "My turncoat foe on the other side is guilty of hooliganism! Of illusionism! Of obstructicating the factules of this admininistration's fine ethics! And most heinously of all his peach cobbler leaves a great deal to be desired!"

theironjef fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 29, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought it was one of the core spell lists in the 1E PHB.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

That's too harsh. In the heyday of the Forge they did some good work unpacking assumptions about the way people play RPGs and helping find ways to explain what did or didn't work for them. Ron Edwards tried really hard to talk about S/G/N were not labels for gaming systems, they were ways to describe what a person was in to during what IIRC he called an "instance of play." I still think that's relevant. Unfortunately it got caught up in identity politics and marketing and poo poo while design mostly continued to stagnate.

Ron Edwards may have said that GNS were primarily about creative agendas in play rather than types of systems, but he also talked about how some games (especially oWoD) were “incoherent” for mixing G, N, and S instead of being focused on one or another of them - that was what he was talking about with the notorious “brain damage” thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Farg posted:

whats the proper MLA format for citing a forum post

I don't think this is MLA necessarily, but this is how one of my posts was cited in the bibliography of this academic work:

Jeffrey A. Tolbert, "The Sort of Story That Has You Covering Your Mirrors: The Case of Slender Man," in Slender Man Is Coming: Creepypasta and Contemporary Legends on the Internet, eds. Trevor J. Blank and Lynne S McNeill (Utah State University Press, 2018) 49

the citation I wrote is in CMS style

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So this is how our posts will be cited by the cockroach xeno-archaeologists!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Silver2195 posted:

Surely that's not Illusionism, just normal railroading that the players are fine with? I thought that the reason Illusionism was called that was because the GM creates the illusion that player decisions and/or the dice matter, even though they actually don't.

Normally, Edwards' -isms were about group creative agendas, not just things the GM did. But honestly, they were so badly defined that who knows, really.

However, I don't think it was ever a matter of the GM decieving the players in a one-way fashion - basically because most GMs can't do that. It's very hard to do and social circumstances can make it an absurd idea (eg, it would imply that if you have a group where the players take turns GMing, all of them would think "well when I'm GM I totally fool them, but all the other players when GMing really make my decisions matter?")

Having checked, Edwards actually said this:

Ron Edwards posted:

Illusionism is sometimes read as malicious deception, but that negative reading is misplaced. I think that a shared agreement "to be deceived" is typically involved, i.e., what I described before as the players not wanting to look behind the black curtain, and everyone being happy that the curtain is there. When that happens, Illusionism is functional, primarily because no element of the Social Contract is being threatened or violated.

Silver2195 posted:

Pathfinder modules, especially Adventure Paths, tend to be fairly linear - necessarily so in the case of the longer Adventure Paths. But I don't think they're particularly prone to Illusionism in the sense of encouraging GMs to deceive players (at least not the PF2 ones). There was one bit in Age of Ashes that was criticized for going into that kind of territory, with an NPC encountered in two different places in a hexcrawl scenario - normally they would be the same guy, but if he died (probably at the hands of the players) at the first place they encountered him, they would instead encounter his identical twin at the other place. But I think James Jacobs specifically acknowledged criticism of that bit and said they would never do something like that again.

That was a bit duff (I've run that hexcrawl and I switched it out for his ghost instead of his identical twin) but the example was not what happens in the hexcrawls as the glue between them. A typical AP for PF2 or PF will consists of a number of steps, each of which is one of several recognizable subgames, that the players are shuttled between. There is no option not to do those subgames. In that particular case, for example, there is no option not to even go to the forest where they encounter that NPC, or to just wait for him to leave (APs love to have the PCs arrive just as something starts and never consider that they might just turn back and come back when it's done)

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Nessus posted:

So this is how our posts will be cited by the cockroach xeno-archaeologists!

that's correct, Chicago Style citations are only used by subhuman cockroach monsters

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’d encourage folks to go find some of the podcast interviews Edwards has done over the years. Whatever you may think of his conclusions, hearing him speak leaves no doubt that the guy is as close to a scholar of the art form as we have now that Stafford is gone, up there with Vincent Baker. Genuinely a fascinating guy who thinks deeply about the subject in a structured, thoughtful way. Also cantankerous, but considering what became of his efforts - which is to say, being wildly misinterpreted for decades - he’s probably earned it.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Kestral posted:

I’d encourage folks to go find some of the podcast interviews Edwards has done over the years. Whatever you may think of his conclusions, hearing him speak leaves no doubt that the guy is as close to a scholar of the art form as we have now that Stafford is gone, up there with Vincent Baker. Genuinely a fascinating guy who thinks deeply about the subject in a structured, thoughtful way. Also cantankerous, but considering what became of his efforts - which is to say, being wildly misinterpreted for decades - he’s probably earned it.

He is a biologist trying to be a humanities scholar while actively avoiding the humanities. He would be less misinterpreted if he actually sat down and engaged with all that. It’s super frustrating to see him fumble through a number of well established concepts because of it. Could have been way more widespread if he had.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

PuttyKnife posted:

He is a biologist trying to be a humanities scholar while actively avoiding the humanities. He would be less misinterpreted if he actually sat down and engaged with all that. It’s super frustrating to see him fumble through a number of well established concepts because of it. Could have been way more widespread if he had.
Anywhere I could read up on the issue you've described here? You've got me very curious.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

That's too harsh. In the heyday of the Forge they did some good work unpacking assumptions about the way people play RPGs and helping find ways to explain what did or didn't work for them.

Honestly this is just "My game is awesome and here's why" or "I want my game to be better and here's why".

When Edwards was talking about Narrativism it was setting out and developing a mission statement (things have moved past him but he was groundbreaking) and it worked well. When he was talking about Simulationism he was clearly mixing several things into something he didn't understand (in part because it was several things) and seemed to think that incoherence (which was in part his lack of understanding) was a bad thing rather than an inevitable side effect of people being different. When he was talking about gamism it was a "hey, those Old School D&D folks are pretty cool. Leave them alone" to a bunch of WoD nerds.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Not sure if there's a dedicated suggestions thread but I'll try here: I'm looking for a beginner-friendly miniatures game that's not super expensive to get into to play with my wife and I and maybe some friends. Preferably low model count. I've played Gaslands with her which was super fun and that's about it.

I have 40k and AoS armies but it's a bit much to get into.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Kill Team. All I've ever heard is how much better it is than vanilla Warhammer, and you can play it with just a handful of guys.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

a7m2 posted:

Not sure if there's a dedicated suggestions thread but I'll try here: I'm looking for a beginner-friendly miniatures game that's not super expensive to get into to play with my wife and I and maybe some friends. Preferably low model count. I've played Gaslands with her which was super fun and that's about it.

If you don't want to buy new models, one of the GW skirmish games.

If you're okay with either buying new models or using paper dolls on bases, you should absolutely try Moonstone. Picture something like the casts of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal having seven-dimensional rock-paper-scissors duels while the overall match is a multiball version of capture the flag.

Rules are free and they've got the aforementioned paper dolls on their downloads page as well. Once your players get the very basics down like "activate in this order, energy uses these little counter doodads," all the stuff they'll need to reference lives on the cards you need to play, which is nice for new folks.

Downsides are, you have to enjoy whimsical fantasy sculpts, and they can get a little twee for my tastes sometimes. Sculpts are really nice, but they are resin, and they have the single worst mold-release agent slathered all over them I've ever seen. Still, if you've built an entire GW army, there's nothing there that'll really stop you in your tracks.

Here's a short one if you're a pivot to video kinda human:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_LYb_YV5vk

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I should've said I wanted to stay away from GW stuff altogether but totally not opposed to buying models. I love painting models so I specifically want something not GW because I paint plenty of those already.

Moonstone looks interesting!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Frostgrave (get 2nd ed) has low mini count and you can use any minis you want from any company
Mantic has some small skirmishy minis games such as Deadzone, Firefight, Vanguard, and Hellboy
There's a bunch of games in the sort of crossover minis/boardgame space, if you'd like to not deal with making terrain? Deadzone sits in that spot for example but there's many more
There are tons of historical games, do you want to have skirmishy or small army battles between little soldiers? Every historical era and location is explored and while there's a nerd chasm ten miles deep you can fall into, there's accessible streamlined games for beginners too

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

a7m2 posted:

I should've said I wanted to stay away from GW stuff altogether but totally not opposed to buying models. I love painting models so I specifically want something not GW because I paint plenty of those already.

Moonstone looks interesting!

How do you feel about Marvel and or Star Wars? Because Crisis Protocol and Shatterpoint are both relatively active, small model count skirmish games with very nice detailed figures.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I love the models but haven't played a game of Frostgrave. when's Ghost Archipelago Crewmen 2 (this time lady sailors)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

theironjef posted:

How do you feel about Marvel and or Star Wars? Because Crisis Protocol and Shatterpoint are both relatively active, small model count skirmish games with very nice detailed figures.

Not a fan of Marvel but Star Wars I don't mind. I'll definitely check out Shatterpoint. I hear X-Wing is good too

Also it doesn't really matter if it's got an active player base, I'm likely only playing this with my wife and maybe a friend or two.

Leperflesh posted:

Frostgrave (get 2nd ed) has low mini count and you can use any minis you want from any company
Mantic has some small skirmishy minis games such as Deadzone, Firefight, Vanguard, and Hellboy
There's a bunch of games in the sort of crossover minis/boardgame space, if you'd like to not deal with making terrain? Deadzone sits in that spot for example but there's many more
There are tons of historical games, do you want to have skirmishy or small army battles between little soldiers? Every historical era and location is explored and while there's a nerd chasm ten miles deep you can fall into, there's accessible streamlined games for beginners too

Almost missed this post.

OK, I'll check out Frostgrave. Deadzone seems interesting too. I have some terrain but making more can be a hassle. Is there a good accessible historical game for ancient China?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

a7m2 posted:

The indy miniatures game thread you are looking for is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037 The OP is in process of being updated as I understand it.

You've got good advice here already with Kill Team, Frostgrave, etc.. I was going to recommend Gaslands Refuelled but you've already played it!

If you are looking for force against force you may want to take a look at One Page Rules, specifically Grimdark Future.

If you are looking for skirmish games with PvP and coop options, take a look at what Osprey has on offer, specifically from authors Ash Barker (Last Days-zombies wargame) and Patrick Todoroff (Zona Alfa-STALKER wargame). I would be remiss if I didn't mention my personal favorite author Ivan Sorensen who created 5 Parsecs from Home (scifi) and 5 Leagues from the Borderlands (fantasy) adventures/skirmish/solo games published by Modiphius. The above wargames are usually available in pdf through WargameVault.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I love the models but haven't played a game of Frostgrave. when's Ghost Archipelago Crewmen 2 (this time lady sailors)

You know, I was sort of curious about this myself and I was looking for news about Crewmen 2 by North Star Miniatures (their manufacturer) and after some googling I came up with nothing. :shrug:

For those who don't follow the most inexpensive plastic miniatures around, Frostgrave and Stargrave have boxed sets at about $27 to $30 for 20 plastic miniatures and you will have bits left over.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
AND all their bits are interchangeable (for the most part). There's cat people in star grave

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I like Shatterpoint a lot because the core box is genuinely two full armies and terrain. Not like two minimum points armies that you'd never field in a real tournament, the game's teams are all made of two groups of a leader, secondary, and support each, and you get four of those groups in the box.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

The indy miniatures game thread you are looking for is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037 The OP is in process of being updated as I understand it.

You've got good advice here already with Kill Team, Frostgrave, etc.. I was going to recommend Gaslands Refuelled but you've already played it!

If you are looking for force against force you may want to take a look at One Page Rules, specifically Grimdark Future.

If you are looking for skirmish games with PvP and coop options, take a look at what Osprey has on offer, specifically from authors Ash Barker (Last Days-zombies wargame) and Patrick Todoroff (Zona Alfa-STALKER wargame). I would be remiss if I didn't mention my personal favorite author Ivan Sorensen who created 5 Parsecs from Home (scifi) and 5 Leagues from the Borderlands (fantasy) adventures/skirmish/solo games published by Modiphius. The above wargames are usually available in pdf through WargameVault.

You know, I was sort of curious about this myself and I was looking for news about Crewmen 2 by North Star Miniatures (their manufacturer) and after some googling I came up with nothing. :shrug:

For those who don't follow the most inexpensive plastic miniatures around, Frostgrave and Stargrave have boxed sets at about $27 to $30 for 20 plastic miniatures and you will have bits left over.

Thanks! How is 5 Parsecs from Home? I've never played a solo game like this before. The only solo RPG I've played was 1000 year old vampire which I liked but it seems very different.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a7m2 posted:

OK, I'll check out Frostgrave. Deadzone seems interesting too. I have some terrain but making more can be a hassle. Is there a good accessible historical game for ancient China?

I'm not qualified to say, but the goons in the historicals thread definitely are.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

a7m2 posted:

Thanks! How is 5 Parsecs from Home? I've never played a solo game like this before. The only solo RPG I've played was 1000 year old vampire which I liked but it seems very different.

I like 5 Parsecs from Home quite a bit, but as I recall some posters have disagreed saying the combat resolution mechanic is too simple, and the enemy AI is too undefined. I'll elaborate.

The combat resolution mechanic for shooting is as follows:
1) Roll a 1d6 and add the Combat Skill of the Shooter
2) Target is within 6 inches and in the open; Successful to hit is 3+
3) Target is within weapon range and in the open OR within 6 inches and in cover; Successful to hit is 5+
4) Target is within weapon range and in Cover; Successful to hit is 6+

Some people find this too simple. I have found it swift and punchy for the number of miniatures on the table (10-20 on average).

Regarding the criticism that the enemy AI is too undefined, I'll post an excerpt from the book and you can make your own decision.

quote:

Enemy Movement

The way the enemy moves on the field requires the player to inject a modest amount of “artificial intelligence” into proceedings. It is assumed that the player will make decisions based on what is reasonable, but can also operate enemies according to one of seven broad AI types, shown below. It is up to the player to decide how strictly to adhere to these.

Cautious
• Cautious enemies will attempt to stay in Cover whenever possible.

• Figures with an opponent in sight and range will remain where they are and take Aimed shots. Otherwise, they will advance in or behind terrain features, trying to establish Line of Sight to opposing figures.

• They will attempt to engage targets at as close to maximum range as possible, and will not advance voluntarily within 12” of opposition.

• As a general rule, they will not enter Brawling combat.

Aggressive

• Aggressive enemies with opponents in sight will advance at least half a move towards them, attempting to remain in
Cover if possible.

• Enemies that are unable to see any opposition, or which are within 12”, will advance as fast as possible towards the nearest opponent, attempting to enter into a Brawl.

• They will not enter a Brawl with an opponent that has higher Combat Skill.

• Heavy weapon figures will not move if they have a Line of Sight to a target.

Tactical

• Tactical enemies will advance at half speed, always retaining Cover where possible. They will cross open ground at
full speed, if needed.

• They will attempt to close to within 12” of their opponents, then will move to outflank and get clear Line of Sight where possible.

• If within one move and possessing higher combat skill, they will enter a brawl; otherwise they will fire.

• If they have a clear shot and are in Cover, they will remain in place to Aim.

• Tactical enemies will attempt to remain within 3” of a friendly figure whenever possible.

In addition to Cautious, Aggressive and Tactical; there are details for Rampaging, Defensive, Beast and Guardian enemies movement on page 43.

It's interesting you mention 1000 Year Old Vampire, because 5 Parsecs can have a journaling aspect to it if you want to go that route. Personally I find 5 Parsecs to be a great story generator for the characters of your crew. The youtube channel Me, Myself and Die! features a voice actor (Trevor Devall) narrating his live solo play of 5 Parsecs and that can give you an idea of how things go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E23tj_vkQnk&t=9s

Also I have written up a narrative based on the details rolled on the charts and tables in 5 Parsecs and come up with a story for the triumphs and tragedies of my crew which I've documented on my blog starting here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2021/10/5-parsecs-from-home-review.html

Before I move on, let me admit my bias; I am on Ivan Sorensen's discord and have communicated with him. He is very accessable.

If you are looking for a more roleplaying scenarios bent to your wargaming, let me also recommend Rangers of Shadow Deep (fantasy) by Joseph A. McCullough (of Frost/Stargrave fame). And tenatively When Nightmares Come (modern supernatural investigation) which was released yesterday by Patrick Todoroff. I say tenatively because I am still reading the book, but what I have read so far detailing a mechanical bridge between the roleplaying and wargaming parts of the game has been very interesting, and dare I say innovative?

Also I am going to shill for Zona Alfa, the STALKER wargame, because I've enjoyed it playing PvP and I need to play more of it.

My write up for that is here:
https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/05/zona-alfa-preparing-for-excursion-into.html
https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/05/zona-alfa-entering-zone-airdrop.html

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Are there good prepainted minis for D&D? I should've bought my friends' old Heroclix and 3e minis when I had the chance.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Are there good prepainted minis for D&D? I should've bought my friends' old Heroclix and 3e minis when I had the chance.

Personally I like the WizKids Wardlings line. They include a young adult in a particular class plus a pet/familiar.

I think the prepainted D&D miniatures are too expensive.

If pressed, I would also go to ebay and look for old Mage Knight (Heroclix) miniatures.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Leperflesh posted:

I'll second Frostgrave. It's very accessible; to start with my friends and I played it with a mixture of minis from various board games and scenery made out of boxes and stacks of books, and it still played great. Levelling up your wizard and their gang between skirmishes is cool. The wandering monster stuff is neat, especially if you have a bunch of big impractical Kickstarter stretch goal minis lying around that never get used in the game they were made for (I finally got the t-rex from the batman game to the table)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PuttyKnife posted:

The "illusionism" thing made me go OK has he never heard of "suspension of disbelief"? Because this is a clear subset of that. Also like... "illusionism" is either derived from or is at least evocative of "illusion of choice" which is riddled with negative connotations, so either he did that deliberately or he has no understanding of the importance of neutral-as-possible language. Like earlier when I was talking about lego and kitbash I was going to say lego and duplo,because the pieces are bigger. But then I realised the obvious implications of labeling two things with <brand> and <brand for kids> so I thought a

He also falls into the completionist categorisation trap. Here's X different descriptions /and everything falls into them/. That's how you get "clearly defined category", "clearly defined category", "ehhhh everything else" which is GNS in a nutshell. Again in my earlier post I realised I was falling into that trap and deliberately backed away.

That he's an old biologist doesn't surprise me because that's also the old school, tree of life prescriptivist biology thinking. Modern biologists talks about them the same as we're talking about him.

e: Oh he didn't invent the term.

e2: OK the more I'm reading this the worse John Edwards looks tbh.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 30, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

a7m2 posted:

Do you have lego
https://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think sometimes people tend to discuss illusionism as like a platonic idea, but i do think in general it's best to try to respect players' decisions when you let them make them. If you give them a choice of A or B, they do need to be different, but it's also incumbent on you to give them an idea of what the differences could be, or at least enough information to have some idea as to what's different.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Seconding Mobile Frame Zero, that game rules. I've heard good things about its starship combat version too, but I haven't played it yet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

The "illusionism" thing made me go OK has he never heard of "suspension of disbelief"? Because this is a clear subset of that. Also like... "illusionism" is either derived from or is at least evocative of "illusion of choice" which is riddled with negative connotations, so either he did that deliberately or he has no understanding of the importance of neutral-as-possible language. Like earlier when I was talking about lego and kitbash I was going to say lego and duplo,because the pieces are bigger. But then I realised the obvious implications of labeling two things with <brand> and <brand for kids> so I thought a

He also falls into the completionist categorisation trap. Here's X different descriptions /and everything falls into them/. That's how you get "clearly defined category", "clearly defined category", "ehhhh everything else" which is GNS in a nutshell. Again in my earlier post I realised I was falling into that trap and deliberately backed away.

That he's an old biologist doesn't surprise me because that's also the old school, tree of life prescriptivist biology thinking. Modern biologists talks about them the same as we're talking about him.

e: Oh he didn't invent the term.

e2: OK the more I'm reading this the worse John Edwards looks tbh.

illusion of choice is definitely the reference. it's, e.g., giving the party two doors, and whichever one they look at first is the fake one. it's honestly nbd imo, what actually matters is that the players feel like they're not being cheated, I think the *world commandment of the gm needing to be fans of the players hits the point much better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sebmojo posted:

illusion of choice is definitely the reference. it's, e.g., giving the party two doors, and whichever one they look at first is the fake one. it's honestly nbd imo, what actually matters is that the players feel like they're not being cheated, I think the *world commandment of the gm needing to be fans of the players hits the point much better.
Yeah my point is that nobody uses the phrase "illusion of choice" in a positive sense, so naming something after it is either deliberately trying to sway people's opinions of it or just gross idiocy.

It looks like some guy originally used the phrase "illusionist" to describe himself doing it, whether whoever extended this to "illusionism" fell into the former or the latter I dunno.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got the vibe that it's mixed in with 'I had fun with this game, therefore the game is good' and how it's ruining people's fun to point out that the game itself can still suck but be fun with a good group, and that's not a reason to recommend the game in itself.

Splicer posted:

Yyyeah, not surprised it comes from that mix of 'never question the wisdom of the elders' and 'everything obviously fits in all these neat little boxes we've already made' nerd instincts. Reminds me of some of the problems TVtropes has, ha. People start seeing the categories as more important than the actual topic, and twist things to fit those categories even when they no longer serve a valid purpose.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

This is cool. I have access to a lot of high quality knock-off lego for cheap so I might pick this up

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Panzeh posted:

I think sometimes people tend to discuss illusionism as like a platonic idea, but i do think in general it's best to try to respect players' decisions when you let them make them. If you give them a choice of A or B, they do need to be different, but it's also incumbent on you to give them an idea of what the differences could be, or at least enough information to have some idea as to what's different.

That's where you run into the other side though. Getting the information balance right without a bit of higher level "railroading" can be very difficult.

You might decide that the PCs can intercept the McGuffin's convoy on the freeway; or they can prevent it being loaded at the docks; or they can attack the ship at sea. Or maybe they come up with some other approach. And that will affect the parts of the system used, it'll affect skill checks and the framing of the scene, and so on. But ultimately the structure, that the PCs engage in some kind of conflict and probably end up getting the McGuffin, is not subject to choice. Because if player choices can result in that not happening, like say it turns out that the docks are far too heavily defended for the PCs to actually make any difference there, then either the PCs know that and don't make those choices, or they don't know that and end up feeling they've been screwed over - and, paradoxically, like they've been railroaded!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe no matter how you try to persuade them they don't care about the McGuffin and they want to do other stuff instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

YggdrasilTM posted:

Maybe no matter how you try to persuade them they don't care about the McGuffin and they want to do other stuff instead.

Other stuff like, run their own game, hopefully. Premise rejection is fine, but you’d better be ready to step up if you’re not going to engage with the concept / structure of the game.