Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

just a reminder that during all the solemn cutscenes on Reach you can look like this, if you want to

alas you can't get all the super-goofy halo 3 armor, you can't look like this during Reach cutscenes

halo mcc is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

biosterous posted:

just a reminder that during all the solemn cutscenes on Reach you can look like this, if you want to

alas you can't get all the super-goofy halo 3 armor, you can't look like this during Reach cutscenes

halo mcc is good

Ah, the secret ending of the Epilogue.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Bonus Content

Just some of the many secrets and easter eggs hidden in Halo: Reach.

biosterous posted:

halo mcc is good

Yeah, sadly I haven't been playing enough of the MCC (outside of recording) to earn the credits needed to unlock the crazy stuff. I did have most of the regular Reach armor unlocked already though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had never heard of Minotaur; that's rad

quote:

The game's tagline was "Kill your enemies. Kill your friends' enemies. Kill your friends". This tagline has reappeared as a description in the multiplayer menu screens for some of Bungie's other games, such as Myth: The Fallen Lords and Halo 3.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Brute DJ is absolutely hilarious. Shame that his career most likely ended during the events of First Strike when John returned to Reach on his way home.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That remix of Siege of Madrigal was an absolute bop

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The marine freaking out was probably a Hudson from Aliens reference, it really reminds me of his freakouts a lot. The nightclub bit is something they did again in Destiny 2 Forsaken, it's one of the mini dungeons you do pretty early on.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Actually thanking the fans in-game is a really nice touch.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

AradoBalanga posted:

The Brute DJ is absolutely hilarious. Shame that his career most likely ended during the events of First Strike when John returned to Reach on his way home.

Or maybe it was just the start of a successful and illustrious career...

DreadUnknown posted:

The marine freaking out was probably a Hudson from Aliens reference, it really reminds me of his freakouts a lot. The nightclub bit is something they did again in Destiny 2 Forsaken, it's one of the mini dungeons you do pretty early on.

I did wonder if it was a specific reference with the way he keeps repeating a couple phrases.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I had never heard of Minotaur; that's rad

Yeah, it was very early in Bungie's life and on Mac exclusively, so it wasn't exactly a household name. They also did a turn-based wargame, I forget what it was called.

There was an era when Bungie was constantly doing new experimental things. I was sad when they ended up just doing Halo over and over, for all that these games have cool things to offer. And now Destiny for well over a decade. But I suppose at a certain point you find the thing that works for you and stick with it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Some of those easter eggs were insane how difficult they would be to find.

Then I remembered being young and spending just hours in a single map crawling and jumping everywhere for absolutely no reason other than just to explore.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Some of those easter eggs were insane how difficult they would be to find.

Then I remembered being young and spending just hours in a single map crawling and jumping everywhere for absolutely no reason other than just to explore.

poo poo, I still do that now.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey, just wanted to give you guys a little update (and do some shameless self-promotion). There is going to be a break before we get to Halo 4 so I can get things ready and build up a backlog. Shouldn't be a whole year unless something goes very weird in my personal life, but it's looking like 2 months or so. I'm really struggling with writing the intro/interstitial video that I had been planning. I like the way they make the LP seem like a complete series, but they are a ton of work for how much interest they really seem to generate. I may just include it in this thread as a text post instead of an illustrated video. Let me know what you think about that though.

In the meantime, I'll be posting a small solo, blind, live commentary LP of Turnip Boy Robs a Bank, which is a sequel to Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion. Please check that out if it's something you might be interested in, and otherwise I'll see you in a couple months.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Let me know what you think about that though.

For what it’s worth I have always liked your intro videos, you do a good job summarizing what’s going on between the games.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

smax posted:

For what it’s worth I have always liked your intro videos, you do a good job summarizing what’s going on between the games.

Same. It's a nice throwback to see what some of the circumstances were that led to the games being how they are.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Your Halo 4 intro video was the one I was most looking forward to, along with your commentary. I remember when I got Halo 4, I pretty much went into it cold and it left me really confused. I wasn't in an environment where there was a lot of video games discussion, and I wasn't keeping up with the latest news, so I saw the game was out, picked up a copy and started playing, and was so confused by all the proper nouns and concepts they were throwing around. Honestly, the game play just didn't grab me like the other Halos did, so I never bothered looking into it, I just figured it was some book or online fluff that I wasn't willing to follow up on, and I was able to understand it well enough (it's not like the Halo stories are super complex).

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Wa11y posted:

Your Halo 4 intro video was the one I was most looking forward to, along with your commentary. I remember when I got Halo 4, I pretty much went into it cold and it left me really confused. I wasn't in an environment where there was a lot of video games discussion, and I wasn't keeping up with the latest news, so I saw the game was out, picked up a copy and started playing, and was so confused by all the proper nouns and concepts they were throwing around. Honestly, the game play just didn't grab me like the other Halos did, so I never bothered looking into it, I just figured it was some book or online fluff that I wasn't willing to follow up on, and I was able to understand it well enough (it's not like the Halo stories are super complex).

Yeah, the problem is that as we get into the later games the intros and/or bonus lore videos are going to be more useful because the lore stuff gets more complicated. But of course the more complicated the lore stuff is, the harder it is for me to write it into a summary. The Halo 2 intro video was basically just a book report on a single novel, but the current and future stuff is all pieced together from references and implications from a lot of different sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
You've just given me flashbacks to the promo-image/advert(?) for the amount of EU materials avaiable for Halo Guardians. It looked like a pre lecture reading list for those looking to get a doctorate. It was probably the death knell warning of my intrest in the series in retrospect. A real sign of Halo becoming just a product to make money, rather than something with creative intent behind it.

I forget how much you'll have to summarise for 4 though. Greg Bears trilogy of novels is a Hunter sized can of worms in itself. Palmer got a comic right? I forget if the UNSCs newest big toy came from anywhere other than a plot hole.
I can completly understand the time investment required to make such a summary at this point as well as going forward though. But I'll echo that this is where the intro segments would be at my most anticipated. I'll be sure to catch up on them what ever format you are willing to present them in.