Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

08 - The Package

Noble Team has been ordered back to Sword Base for some critical asset denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They are clipazines

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I don't remember this level at all. I only borrowed Reach, must have given it back before I got here. Neat to see how the game starts to tie into Halo 1.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
You guys weren't joking when you said Master Chief was lucky. That's his actual canonical super power: good luck

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Outpost22 posted:

You guys weren't joking when you said Master Chief was lucky. That's his actual canonical super power: good luck

Didn't Cortana literally explicitly state this in Halo 3, and that it was one of the reasons she chose him?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"do you have it"/"i have it" feels like it's an officially required response thing, like "you are relieved"/"i stand relieved"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

At the risk of sounding like 'Boy, I hope someone got fired for THAT blunder'... wasn't Cortana able to be moved around in a piece of hardware that could be slotted into a SPARTAN helmet in the first game, not some giant, clunky hand-held thingy-ma-bob?

Also, I can only surmise that Emile must have magnetic buttcheeks on his armour what with him being able to sit on the ramp - with his legs OUTSIDE, mind you - of an accelerating plane and not getting thrown off.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Cortana just standing in her holographic bubble with her rear end hangin out

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wait, so Cortana was a forerunner AI merged with human tech?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

IIRC from the books, the Forerunner data from Reach is how Cortana knew where Halo was in the first place.

Halsey, Jun, and some other characters got up to some weird poo poo in the books after Reach that I don't know if the games ever touch on.

But in the books, it's suggested to be more than coincidence that humans have an uncanny habit of finding and settling on places with Forerunner artifacts.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Samovar posted:

At the risk of sounding like 'Boy, I hope someone got fired for THAT blunder'... wasn't Cortana able to be moved around in a piece of hardware that could be slotted into a SPARTAN helmet in the first game, not some giant, clunky hand-held thingy-ma-bob?

If you look, I believe the "chip" holding Cortana is actually inside the container she hands to Six.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

bman in 2288 posted:

I don't remember this level at all. I only borrowed Reach, must have given it back before I got here. Neat to see how the game starts to tie into Halo 1.
tbf the level is a bit whatever. I don't really like those seemingly endless wave defense sections and that's all this level is

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A lot of the setpieces are setups for the Firefight game mode, and this is one of them.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

BlazetheInferno posted:

If you look, I believe the "chip" holding Cortana is actually inside the container she hands to Six.

Yeah, that whole big-rear end case is just to make abso-loving-lutely sure nothing happens to the chip before it gets where it's going.

e: And the helmet slot doesn't come standard, it was an upgrade to the Chief's neural interface. At this time, no one else can do it, I assume.

Ablative fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2024

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

IIRC from the books, the Forerunner data from Reach is how Cortana knew where Halo was in the first place.

That's what's stated in Reach, but in the book, the thing that leads them to the original Halo is found on a nearby colony called *googles* Sigma Octanus IV. During the battle, the Covenant were performing a ground assault on one of its cities, and John lead some Spartans to find out, and they found an artifact in a museum with markings which Cortana would later decode as a kind of map, which led her to the Alpha Halo. Unfortunately, the Covenant intercepted transmissions about it so were able to find the Halo themselves. Added to that, they managed to get a tracker onto Keyes' ship, which was how they finally found Reach.

Samovar posted:

Also from the book, one of the two big upgrades that the Mk V armour had - the shield being the other one - was that the whole suit had a layer of AI compatible circuitry. The original idea was probably to give each Spartan their own onboard AI, which is part what Cortana means when she 'chose' John, she wanted to be his AI, rather than any of the others. However the Spartans were only given the Mk V a couple of days prior to the original one-day version of the Fall, and all the other Spartans were believed lost during it, with just John and a mostly dead cryofrozen Linda-058 being the only ones to escape.

Reading the wiki, it looks like this timeline was changed at some point, and the Mk V was deployed nearly a year earlier, which is why Noble are wearing it in all the promotional videos, and the version with the circuit layer was a revision that only John seems to have been given.

(Originally, the sequence was that the Spartans got Mk IV at the start of the war, the Mk V just before Reach, and John gets the Mk VI prototype when he comes back from Installation 04, and Spartan-IIIs wear lightweight SPI power armour. That all went out of the window with Reach The Game, with Noble and customisable appearances, and now every page on the wiki for Mjolnir has just a massive list of variant parts and configurations.)

SWORDFISHHH
Apr 1, 2010

biosterous posted:

"do you have it"/"i have it" feels like it's an officially required response thing, like "you are relieved"/"i stand relieved"

That sort of makes sense except Dr Halsey is a civilian who doesn't play by the rules. This is from a 7 year old thread on Reddit:
"This procedure is done with high end technical equipment. Like super expensive and fragile lenses."

I tried searching for more information on this but couldn't find it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

I feel like it's more of an overly dramatic thing like "you do know that has the last hope of humanity right? This ain't any other objective, you cannot gently caress this up even a little."

The only problem with the moment is after the Covenant showed up by the shitload and started glassing cities, we're well past the point of the "poo poo just got real" moment, so it rings a little hollow.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

SWORDFISHHH posted:

That sort of makes sense except Dr Halsey is a civilian who doesn't play by the rules.

imo that's because most of the rules are about things she doesn't care about at all, whereas this is something she cares about a lot, and using a formal procedure underscores that. really this is all just my headcanon, though

Samovar posted:

Also, I can only surmise that Emile must have magnetic buttcheeks on his armour what with him being able to sit on the ramp - with his legs OUTSIDE, mind you - of an accelerating plane and not getting thrown off.

the armour is really fuckin heavy, so there's more friction maybe? i don't know physics :yayclod:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

biosterous posted:

Halsey: Solider, do you have stairs in your house?

Solider ... I am protected, roger

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

"Keep a low profile. We take them by surprise, this will be a hell of a lot easier"

*6 proceeds to grab several space bazookas, hand the bazookas to their marines, and then have everyone jump in/on a tank before charging right at the enemy*

"Take it, lieutenant. ...She has made her choice."

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 28, 2024

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

No, she is a human AI, although very irregular since she was created from a cloned copy of Dr. Halsey's brain. I think we talked some about this stuff in the thread back during Halo 3. What they show here is that Cortana knew about the Forerunners and at least a little bit about what they were capable of before the Pillar of Autumn found Halo.

BlazetheInferno posted:

We'll get a very good look at it in the next level's opening cutscene.

Ablative posted:

Yeah, that whole big-rear end case is just to make abso-loving-lutely sure nothing happens to the chip before it gets where it's going.

e: And the helmet slot doesn't come standard, it was an upgrade to the Chief's neural interface. At this time, no one else can do it, I assume.

Cradok posted:

Also from the book, one of the two big upgrades that the Mk V armour had - the shield being the other one - was that the whole suit had a layer of AI compatible circuitry. The original idea was probably to give each Spartan their own onboard AI, which is part what Cortana means when she 'chose' John, she wanted to be his AI, rather than any of the others. However the Spartans were only given the Mk V a couple of days prior to the original one-day version of the Fall, and all the other Spartans were believed lost during it, with just John and a mostly dead cryofrozen Linda-058 being the only ones to escape.

Reading the wiki, it looks like this timeline was changed at some point, and the Mk V was deployed nearly a year earlier, which is why Noble are wearing it in all the promotional videos, and the version with the circuit layer was a revision that only John seems to have been given.

(Originally, the sequence was that the Spartans got Mk IV at the start of the war, the Mk V just before Reach, and John gets the Mk VI prototype when he comes back from Installation 04, and Spartan-IIIs wear lightweight SPI power armour. That all went out of the window with Reach The Game, with Noble and customisable appearances, and now every page on the wiki for Mjolnir has just a massive list of variant parts and configurations.)

So my understanding is that the Master Chief is the only one who has the helmet slot for an AI at this point. It was a special upgrade for him and Cortana in preparation for their next mission that didn't happen.

Trying to keep track of which armor exists when and why and by who is kind of impossible. The one thing I want to point out is that most of the Spartan 3's were still outfitted in SPI armor and sent on suicide missions. It's only the very best of them that the UNSC didn't want to waste and so outfitted them in Mjolnir and assigned them to "regular" active duty.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

Also don't forget that the armor ja...

Eh, nevermind that joke's been run into the ground.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I liked that the Spartan they sent with Halsey to get her to safety was also given orders to put a bullet in her head if it looked like she was going to get captured.

But not in an obvious way

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Spartan III were not suicide troops but were sent on missions which UNSC would want back but the Covenant had other plans.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I liked that the Spartan they sent with Halsey to get her to safety was also given orders to put a bullet in her head if it looked like she was going to get captured.

But not in an obvious way

Yeah, I always like that line. I also like her reaction afterwards which is pretty much a nonverbal "well, if you must".

ChaosDragon posted:

Spartan III were not suicide troops but were sent on missions which UNSC would want back but the Covenant had other plans.

It's been a while since I read Ghosts of Onyx, and it may have been ret-conned in some way. But how I remember it, their missions were to basically hand-deliver nukes with short fuses to Covenant strongholds. You can argue whether they are literal "suicide missions" but I don't think they had high hopes for survivors.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's been a while since I read Ghosts of Onyx, and it may have been ret-conned in some way. But how I remember it, their missions were to basically hand-deliver nukes with short fuses to Covenant strongholds. You can argue whether they are literal "suicide missions" but I don't think they had high hopes for survivors.

They weren't created specifically to be sent on suicide missions, but they weren't not. They were intended to be more expendable than the IIs - cheaper, easier to train, lower 'fail' rate for the augmentations, mostly war orphans so none of that flash clone stuff - so while it was nice if they came back from a mission, it wasn't as big a deal if they didn't, and they were generally sent in to places where the objective was important enough to potentially warrant the deaths of 300 super soldiers. I remember Beta Company at least had some form of extraction, two of them survived and managed to return and help train Gamma.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Suicidal missions with low success chances but not intended to be one-way trips. Alpha and Beta just got annihilated anyway. Then Gamma mostly fell into plot holes I think.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

The MCC is only $10 on Steam, should I get it?

EDIT: I have until Feb 13th to decide.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Outpost22 posted:

Have you played Halo before? If not, $10 is pretty good to play 6 good to great games. I bought it a few years ago on sale, but not that cheap.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

Have you played Halo before? If not, $10 is pretty good to play 6 good to great games. I bought it a few years ago on sale, but not that cheap.

This is a strong point of consideration; you are getting six full games for only $10. It's a good deal.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

BlazetheInferno posted:

This is a strong point of consideration; you are getting six full games for only $10. It's a good deal.

Well, five and a half.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

09 - The Pillar of Autumn

There is nothing more important than delivering this AI to the Pillar of Autumn and getting it off-world.

Outpost22 posted:

Yeah as other people have said, that's a lot of Halo for :10bux:. I've tried to show everything I could in my videos, but it's always worth playing games yourself if you can.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Additional fun facts about the end: If you look right as the Pillar of Autumn launches, you can find Master Chief in the hushed casket on the side. Doing so in MCC unlocks the achievement "Collection Eligibility Confirmed"

Also, Reach names its checkpoints Rally Point Alpha, Bravo, etc. Lone Wolf only has Rally Point Omega

It came up if the ending was controversial back when Reach came out - not really though some people complained. Everyone knew how the story ends/begins, though a few were still annoyed at the whole theme of the game and felt it wasn't fun they do almost nothing but lose despite that and the game presenting you as winning small victories that build up

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Look at these Canadians who don't know about CSOR or JTF2 :smuggo:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Look at these Canadians who don't know about CSOR or JTF2 :smuggo:

What about JTF1

yes I know it doesn't exist

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Oh drat it, I did know about JTF2. But when it popped into my head during commentary my video game brain went "don't say that, those are the friendly NPCs from The Division."

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
All this talk about Halsey in the video, and Keyes showing up. I wasn't around in the thread for Halo 2 and 3 but did you guys ever talk about Keyes and Halsey being a thing for a short while?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Regarding US military organization:

The US Marine Corps is considered one of the six "branches" of the US Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and Space Force. Five of the six are organized directly or indirectly under the Department of Defense, but the Marines and Space Force are sub-departments of the Department of the Navy* and the Department of the Air Force respectively. The Coast Guard is under the Department of Homeland Security (since 2001, anyway - it's been shuffled around a few times).

Marines were originally a sort of naval infantry carried on ships back in the days of sail for boarding actions and taking enemy ports. Nowadays they're their own thing but coordinate closely with the Navy because their big thing is theoretically still "get on ship, go somewhere, assault beach and establish a secure area where other forces can come in safely", and ships are a pretty essential part of that equation.

Space Marines' role in a space military structure would probably be some combination of 1) dropship assault from orbit to establish a beachhead, similar to the amphibious assault the USMC is built around now, and 2) throwback to the boarding action troops from back in the day to take enemy ships and space platforms, and defend your own ships from same. Assuming that's part of warfare - there's plenty of reasons to assume it'd be pretty silly as a tactic but it's sexy so lots of scifi franchises include it.

As for special forces units, the Army has several different groups: Rangers, Delta Force, Green Berets, and some noncombat and air support units. The Navy famously has the SEALs, the Marines have their Marine Raider Regiment but it's newer and less mythologized, the Air Force has Pararescue and Combat Controllers but they fill a different role than what your average person-on-the-street would think of as "special forces", and also handles a lot of flight support and transport for other special forces units.

Space Force theoretically has a special forces unit but nobody has any goddamn clue what they're going to be doing because the Space Force in general is a chaotic mess at the moment since it was established without much of a plan in terms of real military capability other than "spin off satellite stuff from the Air Force and Navy for some reason".

These are all organized under a multi-branch command structure organization called "US Special Operations Command", or SOCOM, to encourage them to work together and coordinate.

Coast Guard has the Deployable Specialized Forces but they're not under SOCOM and are really for special roles inside the Coast Guard's typical remit: law enforcement, rescue/evac, port security, things like that.

*The canonical joke on this is an exchange between a Navy sailor and a Marine goes like this: "Hey, did you know you Marines are in the Department of the Navy?" "Yeah, the MEN'S DEPARTMENT! HUHUHUHUH OORAH!"

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
That Elite who switches weapons is probably the same guy who ran away in the comm array at the start of the game, and who killed Kat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So Bungie's first Halo game starts with the Pillar of Autumn and their last game ends with the Pillar of Autumn