Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - The Tower, 2nd Floor- Personal Room

Rade tilts his head. "So, what, you're offering to be my subordinate as long as I give you a world of your own if I win?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

It was clear this doll was going to keep playing soldier no matter what, and her answers only made me scratch my head. The massive clock in the distance was at least a decent landmark, and it reminded me to adjust my time to the local version.
"Alright, doll," I said to her, "I'll bite. What happens at 4? And is this the morning or the evening? Frankly I'm tempted to see what that little peashooter of yours can do. Should be obvious I ain't no Deader..." I rang the metal skin of my head with my knuckles. "I wasn't alive in the first place, by your standards."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai - The Butterfly Door

The Drosai watches Hunter go, standing motionless for a minute before turning back to the mountain, trudging off into the woods as he felt his way toward the beckoning stone.

-----

Returning to the quest for a good starting point at the foot of the mountain; using Supernatural Stonecunning +2 to find something defensible with ready access to some near-surface ores. Something to get started with.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kyleth, the Beguiling - Through the Flower Door

“No more and no less than I have said so far. I wouldn’t want to be accused of insubordination down the line, as I do have my own projects to be getting on with. Aiding you with yours, and possibly the others with theirs, is truer to my nature and a more useful demonstration of my capabilities than merely doing my own thing alone, as well as being beneficial to the efforts of those with whom I collaborate. Securing my future, be it as the master of many worlds or as master of one, is more key than the ephemeral work of this present age otherwise.” Answered the glowing humanoid.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

"What you've said so far doesn't mean anything." Rade turns to leave, heading towards the stairs up the tree. "I have no interest in pretty, empty words."

Heading up the stairs to see what's there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kyleth, the Beguiling - Through the Flower Door

“As you wish." Acquiesced the incarnation. He placed a simple flying spell upon himself and ascended parallel to the stairwell, faster and potentially more eyecatching than a mortal ascent.

Sorcery [+2] for a simple magical flight spell.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Mordin - Cogworld Door

Mordin looked at the large timepiece in the distance. Before he could speak Mick had.

A good question and followed up by a statement that likely would make the lady attempt to kill them both.

"Why would you say something like that? Can't you see that clearly this woman is having a tough time with unliving beings? This is not the time to joke with her and doubling down is less than smart. If you say anything more like that. I will not be able to help you any longer."

Mordin turned towards the woman. "I apologize for what my travel companion has said. As you can see he does possess free will, even if he is insensitive and blunt. I am curious though, what happens at 4?"

Giving Mick one more bone and chance based on context clues. Mordin is in a worse position on this world than Mick would be should the people discover the truth. Not sure if the goal here is to get the woman to try and kill them? No abilities this time, work that's easily undone makes one curious to see what happens and any consequences from it..

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 29, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"Alright, alright Wiz, have it your way." I stuck my hands in the pockets of my coat and fingered the heavy revolver I kept there. Many a thug had fallen to that little friend of mine and I wasn't soft enough to think I wouldn't add her to my list of regrets.

"The name's Mick, this here is Wiz. You got a name, doll, or you just call yourself Boomstick?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The Drosai - Butterfly Door

The Drosai trudged through the snow and trees, your search taking you past the manor but not close enough to really be noticed. As it passed through the trees it was able to get a glimpse of the manor's stone walls which were thicker and taller than a simple noble's residence might need. These were walls to keep up an angry mob and not to merely protect a fancy garden. There were also a pair of guards at the gate as well as patrols on the wall, too far to get much of a look at but the figures were not human. Each wore metal armour, of which some parts glowed a dull red.

Coming to the base of the mountain the trees began to thin. You realised that you would have to travel quite far around the mountain to be able to set up out of sight of that manor and took the chance to walk up a little bit to get some height. From slightly up the mountain side, the Drosai could see that there there was a town in the woods on the same side of the mountain as the doorway and the manor. Slightly further around the mountain away from you appeared to be the entrance of a mine. The far side of the mountain to the manor would be immediately safe to begin tunneling into and building a nest and home, but mining for resources would bring the risk of running into the existing mining infrastructure before the hive was ready for conflict.

There was also the matter of a food supply to source.

Using the same roll as before you have found an immediately safe location with some longer term dangers to manage. Additionally you'll need to figure out how to feed a community. The Drosai can go back to the tower in a pinch for food but that will severely limit your range of operations.

Mick & Mordin - Cog Door

When the lady didn't move at first you might think she was ignoring you, but after a few moments of tense silence she spoke again. "Where are you two from where ye don't know about the cursed hours? When that there clock strikes 4 an' 6 all the deaders around are gonna stop moving for a while. Mornin' an afternoon. That's my chance to shoot 'em dead. An' if you hang around an' either of you two topple over well I'll just put a bullet in ye as well. We can worry about sharing names after that if ye care to stay an' chat."

Peering down at the orange red coloured plains both of you thought you could see a few figures shambling around in the sun, moving in ways that few if any living creatures would. For a world at war with undead though, there were far few of them than you might have expected. Perhaps there was enough intelligence in the undead that they made themselves scarce around this time, or most of them at least.

Kyleth & Rade - Flower Door

Kyleth and Rade both end up spotting different things as they ascend. With their magic and flight, Kyleth ascends rapidly and comes up to a pavilion set into the boughs of the tree. There was a mostly human figure with large emerald green lepidopterous wings who was playing a lyre. Her eyes were closed and Kyleth got the impression that it the activity was more meditative for her than a performance. Next to her lay a quadrupedal smooth skin reptilian creature whose dark skin was mottled with deep blue patches. It seemed to be sleeping at first but after a moment it opened one of its eyes to look at you and barked. The woman startled from her performance and looked at Kyleth quizzically. Leading away from the pavilion area were a number of wooden bridges leading to other structures built into and around the trunks and bows of trees.

Rade on the other hand was walking around the trunk on the stairs and saw the figure in the water swim to the pier. They pulled themselves up sharply and moved away quickly as a dark shape arose from the water. The humanoid figure moved away from the pier onto the lily pad proper in a hurry as a lark sea creature burst through the water. It had a large teeth filled maw that had tried to grab where the man was moments before. Once it realised that it had failed in its hunt, the creature kept its head sticking above the water and blew air out of two blowholes on the sides of its face. Then the man walked back to the edge of the pier and began to appear to argue with it. Rade couldn't make out any of the words he was saying but from this distance he could still hear the general tone of voice and the movements and gestures of the man were clearly annoyed.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Seeing the other being fly up, Rade rolls his eyes and sighs. However, after seeing the commotion down below, he turns around heads back to see what this argument is about.

Checking out the argument.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mordin - Cogworld Door

Interesting. He turned to Mick. "Deduce anything?" Then looked back to the field.

This was not what Mordin was used to. At least where he was from. He would observe the dead/undeads' behavior.

Quietly Mordin triggered a detect undead spell. What if they were hiding indeed?...

To the woman he spoke. Content to wait. "We won't distract you further. We can talk once your work is completed.

Detecting undead. Lich [+2]

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Rade - Flower Door

As you descended back down and got closer you could start to hear some of the argument.

"-I did not take more than permitted and I'm wearing a damned talisman of Othinox! Are you trying to start another war?" The man's irritation was obviously heightened by adrenaline you could tell based on your mercenary experience. By contrast the sea creature's voice sounded a bit weird above the surface of the water. There was irritation but it was more emotional, but reading it from the distorted and harsh voice was difficult.

"The Deep Monarchs have been taking more and more. We need those eggs or we will won't be able to feed our young! My mate has just laid a clutch human. Do you want me to watch my spawn starve before my eyes?!?"

You're not in the tower anymore btw!

Mordin - Cog Door

Result: 8 + 2 - Success

Reaching out with your innate connection to undeath you could sense shambling mindlessness down in the sandy plain as well as various places around you. But deeper under the ground you could sense intellect and thought for a moment. As you touched them the thinking undead minds shied away and hid from your touch, something you had never experienced before.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door

Rade saunters down the stairs, once he reaches the bottom he calls out. "So, what is this all about?"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Kyleth, the Beguiling - Flower Tree Pavilion

Kyleth bowed deeply as he hovered, reaching out with minor, unobtrusive, non-invasive magics to assess and refine the reception of his presence, calling upon the experience of his long existence to refine and perfect this first contact.

"Be not afraid. I bid you greetings from beyond the Door. I am called Kyleth, and I have been tasked with this world. I would listen, and I would learn, and I will see what I can do for you, both yourself and all the peoples of this realm."

Pulling out all the stops for a great first impression. Sorcery [+2] for minor magics to ease into local cultural mores, Charismatic [+2] for being inherently likable, and Incarnate [+2] to tap into the long existence thereof and the memory of previous first impressions made.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"So there's a certain time that the dead stop moving, eh? Usually in the radio programs it's the other way around." I puffed my way through several thoughts at once. "That means there's rules that have to be followed. And if there's one, there's always others. Wiz, I'm betting you're a rules guy like myself, and you know how to bend them like I do. I think you and I should stick together once Boomstick here settles down for a nice chat."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mordin - Cogworld Door

"Agreed, 'detective'. There is more here than meets the eye." Mordin said forebodingly. He resolved to watch and see. There would be time to...greet the mind(s) below. Very curious.

Let's see what happens.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Rade - Flower Door

The man had ridges on his forehead as well strange black and stone like nails, details that along with his ruby eyes were difficult to tell from a distance. He was momentarily taken aback when he saw you, whether that was because you were such an imposing figure or an unknown people to him was impossible to say.

"This fool-" He said gesturing to the aquatic creature who bared its teeth angrily; "-decided to attack an ordained priest of Othinox while I was collecting pearl eggs! I did not take more than my tithe and he is spouting some excuse for trying to kill me!"

"I tried to reason with him! All he cares about is that his service is as gaudy as possible. You people can't even eat the eggs! If I don't get them my children are going to starve."

The man did glance away from a moment, as though something in the accusation struck true. But was that still enough justification for the attempted murder of a priest in this world?

"If you kill me and the church finds out, and they would, then it would be war between the surface and the waters again! You both know how the last one went! Half of our cities burned and sunk, and for you the Deep Monarchs awoke and demanded tribute. Maybe you should be more devout to Othinox! As bloody aquafolk you should be begging the god of the waters for intercession!"

Kyleth - Flower Door

The woman looked at the creature beside her, who barked a few times and made some kind of diffident shrug.

"I beg your forgiveness stranger, but we know not of which door you speak of. As you have introduced yourself it is only polite that we do so in turn. I am named Merina, and this-" She said gesturing to her companion, who made a half bark half growling noise; "-is my bonded partner. You may call him Ghornik in our tongue if you have difficulty speaking in his."

She paused for a moment with only the slightest frown creasing her radiant features. "The gods are tasked with this world. Less generous people than us would decry your words as blasphemy. We hope that if you meet them that you will be mindful not to give them cause to accuse you of such a thing." Her rebuke was impeccably gentle and polite, as only someone used to navigating a complex and difficult social web could manage.

Mick & Mordin - Cog Door

Time passes and the minutes turn on the clock. As the hour hand passes onto 4 and the minute hand on to 12, a bell rings out across the land with seemingly implausible clarity and depth. In fact it felt like it reverberated through your very being to somewhere deeper inside of you. For Mick this was an odd sensation that sent the equivalent of a shiver through your synthetic flesh but did nothing else.

As for Mordin however, the first chime struck you deeply making you feel weak. The second one made it hard to stand and focus. You had a few seconds to try and resist and act between the next and then the final chimes. 'Boomstick' as Mick had taken to calling her had not noticed or moved yet. She had begun to breath slowly and was expertly moving her aim into line with a target.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I continue to fondle the heavy piece that weighed down my pocket. I'd only known the dead guy slightly longer than the woman with the longarm across from us, but we'd both come the tower and that made us the closest thing to friends you could have without actually being one. While I wouldn't want to kill her, I would drop her the second she looked about to squeeze that trigger.

Using Senior Detective +2 and Synthetic Humanoid +2 to shoot the woman if she's about to shoot Mordin. Not shooting to kill but if it happens it happens.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door

Rade looks over the pair. Maybe there was something he could use here. "So you're so pressed for food that even a few eggs are the difference between your young starving? Why?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mordin - Cogworld Door

Not. Good.

Anti-undead magic. Or something divine? "Let me know what happens, I have to urinate." Mordin said slipping back through the tower portal.

Woop.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

It took a bit of climbing and poking around the rocky face of the looming mountain before the Drosai found itself a suitable crevasse into which it could dig. There would be time for rest later. For now, there was work to do. Claws dug into rock, prying apart a slab here, a boulder there, in order to create a gap wide enough for a tight squeeze by humanoid standards, and out of sight from the casual observer. And then the digging. Claws and limbs striking the stone in a steady rhythm of blows, chipping away pebbles with digging claws or shattering large chunks of stone with precise strikes. Every now and then it would pause to feel the rock, take stock of its progress, and adjust. Loose rubble was shoved aside, or used to block up the entrance for a while. No use having unannounced visitors.

-----

Using Frightening Strength +2 and Supernatural Stonecunning +2 to begin tunneling into the rock, digging out an inconspicuous tunnel entrance and carving a temporary barracks, stockpile, and exploratory mine for nutritious ores.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

A simple, silent casting of spells to comprehend and speak the relevant languages should enable him to converse freely and equally with both Merina and Ghornik. The creator had indicated that any creature could see or sense the door, and given the connecting stair the implication of that answer added some interesting probabilities to how things were.

"No forgiveness is necessary, the boon of mutual learning outweighs our collective unknowing," he began, setting aside the matter of knowledge of the door for now. Trying to switch to Ghornik's method of communication, "Well met, partner Ghornik. Do you express a preference as to our general medium of communication?"

The potential for blasphemy was another matter. "Let us say my religious education could do with some work with regards the regnant pantheon, and so to avoid future faux pas it would be better if that were corrected in short order. So, are there any libraries or similar storehouses of knowledge in the vicinity, that I may avoid trespass into the divine demesne in word or deed?

Continuing the conversation, trying to speak to Ghornik and asking about some place he can amanuensis up all the local knowledge. Sorcery [+2] to enable perfect two-way communication with Ghornik, Charismatic [+2] to keep on piling on the charm.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Rade - Flower Door

The water creature turned its head to you and expelled water in what seemed like an irritated action. "Why? I don't know stranger, it might be the nigh immortal titanic chthonic leviathans that demand most of our food to sate their insatiable appetites so that they don't eat us instead. It might be because of them."

Even the man was looking at you with a slightly confused and interested expression.

Mordin - The Tower, 1st Floor

A moment after you step through the door, the weakness and malady fade away as swiftly as they appeared.

Mick - The Cog Door

The woman takes her shot, makes a satisfied grunt and turns back to look at you. "So yer still here. Ye seem to be movin' still. Well. They call me Laura. What's yer name stranger?"

The Drosai - Butterfly Door

Result: 2 + 4 - Minor Success with Complication

The rock was tough but also had an organic, dense gel like quality to it. It was harder to dig and carve through it than you had expected. In addition to this was the heat, which the Drosai had encountered before but sapped at your energy faster. By the time you needed to finish to rest and feed, the entrance was simply a makeshift tunnel and the barracks was a nook enough to house yourself and one other creature, two if everyone forewent comfort.

You will have a substantial penalty to your next excavation if you do not rest and eat first.

Kyleth - Flower Door, Flower Pavilion

This isn't an important enough action for you to roll for, so have an automatic success here.

Ghornik picked himself up and turned his head, making a dismissive huff. The voice the magic translated was baritone and carried his irritation. "Speaking another language is a hollow gesture if you use magic to avoid the effort to learn it."

Merina smiled a little ruefully at you and while she didn't shrug, her expression conveyed the sense that she had done so without actually shrugging. "There is no harm in using magic to understand another, it takes time and effort to learn and cultivate the magical arts." Ghornik lay back but kept his eyes open, looking up at you. Merina continued once it seemed that incident and had been smoothed over. "Libraries? Some nobles might possibly have some tomes on the gods, but the knowledge you seek is taught by priests or nannies to young children. Never before have I heard of anyone who did not know of the gods. The lands you hail from must be strange that the gods do not make themselves known to all the people."

Two important pieces of knowledge were revealed from that. Firstly was that books were the sole domain of the rich or powerful, and secondly that the gods in this world frequently and unquestionably intervened in the lives of mortals.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

I let the heavy revolver stay right where it was as my companion slipped back through the door to the Tower. It was a Cunning Plan, and probably a good idea too as the woman fired her heavy rifle. I showed visabled relaxation as she put her weapon up.

"They call me Detective Gunn. Laura, eh? Nice name, sweetheart. Matches your demeanor. While my partner is, uh, using the facilities so to speak, why don't you and I get friendly? I'm new to these parts and this little dead problem of yours isn't something Im familiar with."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door

Rade shrugs, "As you can no doubt tell, I'm not exactly from around here."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mordin - Cogworld Door (otherside)

What. Was. That.

Edit: walking to where the creator was:
Mordin turned to the creator. "Do all worlds have effects such as these?"

Would there be a world where an affect happened that turned all the air into wood? Perhaps when someone said a word they'd catch fire?. Alarming.

Whe talking using Lich [+2] and Savant [+2] to figure out the effect. Anything.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 7, 2021

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

A gracious nod to Merina to concede the point.

"A perceptive way to put it. To be honest, I do not hail from beneath your skies at all, as you have likely surmised by now. I am not a stranger to Gods influencing the world directly,"

A wry smile as he recalled the earliest ages of his world, Belagarot's rebellion against Velith-De the all-creator, the tumult of their battle even prior to his incarnation to take the war into the physical realm in service to the Sire of Traitors. To say nothing of the two opposed divine powers attenuating in the second age and all that subsequent kerfuffle.

"...And I am unfamiliar with the tenets and principles local to this world in that regard. Do the local divinities have a place they collectively reside, be it in the physical realm or the spiritual?"

Basically 'I'm not from around here, where are the Gods?', applying Charismatic [+2] as a general background conversation-smoother.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai dislikes this strange rock very much. Uncooperative and not very stone-like at all, really. Unsatisfied with its progress, it resolves to return to the tower and think. And rest and feed this body. It wouldn't do to let it burn out.

-----

Returning to to the Tower for rest and supplies, while using Supernatural Stonecunning +2 to ponder how might this weird horrible rock be best excavated.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Mick - Cog Door

Laura considered you for a moment before grunting an affirmation. "'Spose it could be so. Thems say that the deaders are drawn to Arcwright an' its surrounds. Maybe if ye does come from far enough away ye dun have them crawling up from their graves. Sounds a lovely thought an' all. I got to put a bullet through the 'eads of my mah and pah a week 'fore I got married and they'd both been dead only a week. Nearly ruined my best dress too."

That last particular piece of information was somewhat intense. Though it seemed you could fob off your homes as simply being far enough away without anyone immediately catching you in an obvious lie. Though if the dead were rising and being drawn to Arcwright, which you could deduce was the name of the settlement with the giant clock tower, an important question was why they were drawn so.

Rade - Flower Door

This time it was the humanoid who spoke, with some rude interest in his voice. The seed of suspicion. "Okay then where are you from? Unless you came down from the skies I don't know how you wouldn't know all of this. If you'll forgive me for saying you, you don't look like much of the sort who might live in the clouds either."

The aquatic creature turned back to the subject of his ire and objected. "Have you seen or heard of anyone like him? I sure haven't. There are all sorts of peoples and maybe he might come from somewhere far away enough where your masters and mine do not hold sway."

His earned reply was a snort and a dismissal. "A mummer's fantasy indeed. Othinox's power will reach anywhere there is water. He is not so limited as your titanic conquerors."

The aquatic creature bristled at this response and Rade could sense that the conversation was a step away from descending into its previous argument.

Mordin - The Tower, 3rd Floor

Result: 5 + 4 - Success

The Creator paused from his consideration of the orrery structure and turned to look at Mordin. His expression changed only slightly but you had the impression of something that combined a raised eyebrow and a slight smile.

"I am not omniscient. While I have have a good intuition on the world because of what I nurtured it from and what I feel from the portals, the exact details are beyond my knowledge. Nor do I wish to know everything. What good is a book if you already know the ending before you open it?"

He changed his expression again to be something the faintly echoed a rueful smile.

"While I may have advised you that that particular world would be hostile to you, I can tell you some small things based on what I felt happen through the door and from Reading you. No mortal artifice has the power to do such a thing to an entire world. As I did not sense the birth of a deity with such purview or capability, it must be a localised phenomena. The other worlds contain their own dangers, but none that would affect you so profoundly and so specifically."

Based on what the creator said it seemed that you would not be suspect to such a danger in other worlds, although they were still dangerous. Given that the Creator had suggested that it was some kind of device that was doing it in an area, the clock tower city seemed like a logical assumption. As for whether the other worlds were so dangerous or not, you had not seen or heard any of the others after you returned. Presumably if the other worlds were anethema to life then you would have seen them back in the Tower as well, trying to work out a solution to the issue or biding their time.

Kyleth

Result: 7 + 2 - Success

Merina was just responding when Ghornik answered your query somewhat snidely. "The Lords and Ladies all dwell within the realm of Pandoria. Through their power and nature as the Lastborn they can reach into our world and pluck at it to work miracles. However they grant their power to mortals that prove themselves worthy, or devoted enough, who lead the rest of us with their blessings of Grace. Any child capable of attending the privy on their own would know such a simple lesson." The creature snorted and looked at you with a smirk despite possessing almost no anthropomorphic features at all.

For her part Merina sighed and looked seriously at you. "It is not unheard of for the gods to manifest an avatar directly. But such a thing is rare and an occurrence of legend. Many an interdoctrinal debate has started over a disagreement of the validity of a claim of manifestation. A theologist I once spoke to said that Pandoria is a mirror of our world but far away, and that it tires the gods to intervene too much. An avatar takes a great deal of strength to project across the gap between our worlds, so the gods do so only when it is dire. Miracles are a lesser way to extend their power and the investiture of their blessing into a mortal an even simpler one still. Make no mistake though, Kyleth from beyond the Door. A chisel can shape stone with as great effect as a sledgehammer, even though it might seem weaker.

The Drosai - The Tower, 2nd Floor

Result: 7 + 2 - Success

As you go to find sustenance, the Drosai hears the skeleton man speaking from above. The words are unclear but the agitation in his voice is not.

As long as you do not immediately rush out in a follow-up action I am happy to assume that the Drosai rests and regains its strength at some point before your return if you do not want to specifically outline that scene.

Considering the rock was a conundrum for the Drosai. Living flesh usually parted with ease before blades and claws that were meant for burrowing stone. But stone that was itself flesh was another matter entirely. Not to mention the heat. Well the heat might be the easiest part to deal with. Proper ventilation and circulation of the cold outside air into the burrow would mitigate the oppressive heat, or at least provide a place that workers could retreat to and recover before returning to work. There might also be more fanciful solutions such as magic of a kind, or some kind of creature or plant that could feed on heat to cool down the burrows. Creatures that stored and expelled heat were actually not uncommon around such places so that might be something to consider for other needs later.

As for the cutting the Drosai still was unsure. Maybe someone in the world would be able to give the Drosai some insight. Otherwise it would likely be a tedious process of trial and error. The mine you had seen was a clear indication that excavation of the mountain was possible and feasible, but the owners and workers presumably knew how to work around the difficulty of the living rock itself.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Pandoria. A divine destination and his next priority as a place to go. More research was needed beforehand, as much as that might invite derision from those used to only one world and mode of being.

“I appreciate your firm grasp of simple lessons and your willingness to share them with those who lacked the benefit of such an upbringing,” he answered to the rather brusque creature stewing in snide self-satisfaction.

Regarding Merinia, he responded, “Rest assured I know full well the potency of a subtle application of power in the right place and time. Incarnate avatars are a serious commitment wherever an entity may be from, which translates well regardless of location.

Focusing for a moment, he ‘felt’ for the realm of Pandoria.

Small talk thanking them, Charismatic [+2] if applicable. Using Sorcery [+2] and his Incarnate [+2] nature as one taken from the spiritual to the physical to get a sense of where Pandoria is and how he can get there.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mordin - Cogworld Door

Mordin thanked the creator and took his leave. His mind raced. Localized. The timepiece. The times. He would go back.

Why shy away from work just because the problem was slightly hard. He resolved to go back.

He re-entered the portal and appeared in the aftermath. Walking up and adjusting his robes he asked innocently.

"What did I miss?"

Catching up. Will catch mick up once we get timeline realigned..

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kyleth - Cog Door, Fein's Pavilion

Result: 8 + 4 - Complication

Your mind reached out and searched far into distant places. Then suddenly before you could react, there was a flash of danger and the sense of jaws closing on you in the deep cold dark.

"What is this?"

Kyleth was suddenly paralysed, unable to speak or even move beyond breathing. Merina and Ghornik did not notice anything amiss for the moment.

"Foolish enough that your parents conceived you. Foolish more are you, to flaunt yourself in our domain."

Pain. And the sense of the jaw biting in. Under your vestments you could feel as though blood welled up, forming a strange marking not unlike a branding or seal.

"We will speak again. Foolish one."

Then release. Reflexively you gasp for air and both Merina and Ghornik look at you puzzled.

Complication: You have received an Abyssal Brand [+0/-2]. It allows an unknown entity to contact you when it wishes. It may also have other effects that may be a detriment or complication in certain situations. Currently it is covered up by your clothing but it is visible on your skin as a red tattoo. It is something akin to these but red colour and encircling your upper arm near your shoulder:

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 15, 2021

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door

Rade claps his hand to attract their attention. "Ok, that's enough of that." He looks at the shark-like being, "I may be able to help you, we can talk about it somewhere more private." He turns to the priest, and just waives him off. "As for you, feel free to be on your way. You got what you came for after all."

Looking at the water, Rade sighs, he'd never been much for the ocean, but its not as though he had any better options at the moment. Focusing inwards, he calls on his power, to alter his body slightly to facilitate his survival underwater, gills and the like should be simple enough.

Rade's gonna ask the shark-guy to find them someplace a bit more private (namely away from the priest) to discuss helping him out. Fleshshaper[+2] to handle the details of allowing him to be able to survive underwater indefinitely.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Drosai takes a moment to rest its body in the tower, also gathering a supply of ingots of both soft and hard metals, for rations and trade. A burden, no doubt, but a necessary one. Packing them away in a pack, he observed tower instead. Inspecting stonework, poking into this room or that, and otherwise just being nosy.

-----

Gathering some supplies and "food" and resting a bit.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Kyleth, the Beguiling - Fein's Pavilion

Fascinating. The misconceptions of the alien creature alone were usefully intriguing: Claiming parents for one who was not truly born, stilling the breath of one for whom breathing was merely a courtesy.

"Interesting. Your pardon, I was contacted by another entity, causing my momentary misstep." he explained. "I will return in due course, but a matter has arisen that requires my prompt attention."

So saying, he looked to return by the shortest means available.

Invoking Incarnate [+2], specifically 'no umbilicus' and 'breathing somewhat optional', together with Charismatic [+2], to mitigate the effects of that, both apparent and social. Heading back to the Tower posthaste. Sorcery [+2] for a quick teleport without error if needed.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 15, 2021

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

I am Communist posted:

Mordin - Cogworld Door

Mordin thanked the creator and took his leave. His mind raced. Localized. The timepiece. The times. He would go back.

Why shy away from work just because the problem was slightly hard. He resolved to go back.

He re-entered the portal and appeared in the aftermath. Walking up and adjusting his robes he asked innocently.

"What did I miss?"

Catching up. Will catch mick up once we get timeline realigned..

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mick Gunn - Cogworld

"Welcome back. Laura here was explaining to me that the town of Arcwright, the one over there with the big clocktower, is surrounded by those dead'uns and they seem to like this town more than others. I let her know just how far we are from home which is why we've never seen a problem like this before." I looked back at the woman. "I'm hoping that Laura here can show us the town, let us get a feel for what's going on. Something's itching my brain, and it has to do with that clocktower."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Mordin - Cogworld

"A good idea, however to avoid suspicion perhaps if i could disguise you?" He said to Mick. "I have a talent for it if you are open to such things."

"Our overlord friend informed me each place we visit will have...localized phenomenon such as this. Interesting that it's focused from that large timepiece...a clock tower you call it?"

Mordin could feel in his bones that was part of the issue here. He may even try and seek out those dead down below. If the time reached close to the anointed hours of dead incapacitation...

Looking at the markswoman, Mordin asked. "Are they mindless these walking corpses?

ok tower bad, guess we can go fact finding. If the dead don't act like real people then suspicion shouldn't be on mick and mordin unless there are sentient dead? Offering a different glamor to mick if he wants it. Something to make Mick more trusting rather than hide that appearance.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Rade - Butterfly Door

The priest grumbled and made some token protests further, but Rade's strangeness was enough to make the priest decide to just leave once it was clear you were taking a side (that was not his). The shark-like creature looked at you curiously and with some confusion as you began to manipulate your body.

"Your magic is strange outsider, but I am curious as to the purpose of this-" Your companion cut off, looking at the door. "Do you know that strange robed person that just appeared and then disappeared again?"

You can breathe underwater due to the inherent nature and laws of this world without magic or alteration. The shark man is responding to Kyleth stepping back through the door.

The Drosai

Although it was well enough disguised to fool a casual glance, the Drosai could immediately tell that the stone work in the tower was not carved nor held in place but mortar and architecture. It was as though the entire structure of the tower had been one single perfect block of stone, perfectly shaped to the needed form. The bricks and mortar lines were merely pretty facades to make it pleasing to look at for the ignorant. It struck the Drosai as both a token and lazy effort, and an example of thought and consideration at the same time. An edifice to the ennui of the Creator.

Kyleth - The Tower, 1st Floor

Ghornik and Merina looked at your confused blankly at your sudden and for them utterly unexpected comment. Then you blinked back to the portal with your magic and caught a glimpse of the lion man doing...something, to himself. His feline features somehow looked more suited to moving in an aquatic environment. He was standing beside a shark like aquatic creature whose head was sticking out of the water. It seemed like it had seen you before you stepped through the doorway. Once back in the tower you can still spy on the pair, but they would not be able to see you until you stepped back through.

You realised with a start that the branding of your essence remained and that somehow that connection was still active. Given that you had travelled through worlds of the Creator's making through his means it seemed impossible that he had not deliberately allowed for this to happen. However the presence that had communicated with you had either not noticed or did not care that you had left that world.

No action stacking. Pick one action to apply traits to per post. I've been ignoring the Charisma rolls because they have not been in impactful situations for now.

Mordin & Mick - Cog Door

Laura watched and listened to the two of you, and Mick had a concerning insight that she might not understand the nature and situation of the two of you but was not as simple or foolish as her attitude and actions might have suggest. When the question of mindless came up, she cocked her head again. "Oh some of the deaduns are mindless to be sure, ol' begotten corpses who forgot who they were. But most of 'em are neighbours or family to someone around these parts. That's why ye gotta make sure to give 'em a proper burial so they dun pop back up and try an' knock down the city walls."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door

Rade shrugged, "I'm afraid I don't really know all that much about him. Now, onto the matter at hand. As you saw, I have the ability to alter living things. You had mentioned issues with food and I was thinking that I might be able to help on that front. Let you and your young get by on a fraction of the food you might normally require."