Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Killian Graves - Star Door, Initial Outlook

Result: 7 + 2 = 9 - Partial Success

Your blast had part of your desired effect as the sphinx was distracted from the dragon as it focused its magical defenses to stop Killian's blast. It seemed that this world did not have wizards or spellcasters in general as the sphinx uttered in shock; "what is this? How is it possible that you use magic?" Then it was unceremoniously bisected by the great sword of the dragon who had used that opportunity to move into the sphinx's blind spot.

Cleaning his blade off on the leathers of his armour the dragon looked warily and gratefully to Killian. "Well thankyou stranger. I don't know who or what you are, but if you're an enemy of them then you're okay in books." He gestured to the floating islands in the sky as he said 'them'. "I have questions for you, but if you have questions yourself then I could guide you somewhere safer where we can talk with others?"

An offer for an exchange of information and shelter for the time being. Unless Killian would rather strike out and explore on his own.

Rade - Flower Door, Capital Commoners Area

Result: 12 + 2 = 14 - Great success

The magi was obviously and immediately grateful to Rade sparing him the symbiote. "Yes of course. I don't know what I could swear on that I will prove myself worthy of your trust." For what Rade could see the man was completely genuine and maybe in the future Rade would be able to exploit this mercy to his advantage. He listened to everything Rade described and you noticed that Maloris was paying attention as well.

"As long as he doesn't draw attention for any seniors to check in with the Monarchs about him, he should be able to remain in the college without anyone discovering he is free from the Monarchs influence." Maloris commented which drew a surprised and curious look from the magi. No doubt the man was wondering how Maloris knew so much about the college and as to what his identity might be. The man had been more confused and desperate after you had kidnapped him and removed the parasitic influence from him to really contemplate it. Now he had time to process things and wonder as to exactly who his captors-cum-saviours might be.

Fortunately after your explanations were done and Rade had told the man everything he needed to know for now you could tell that he was a quick learner and already understood what it was he needed too do and what Rade required of him. "Well I can't pretend I'm not afraid, but you are right. If there's a chance for a better future then we should take it. We're just a dead corpse floating that has yet to sink." The man bowed to Rade and said "I should go, if I stay any longer people will notice I should have been back and come looking. Don't worry I'll have a good excuse for them."

The magi has sworn himself to your service in return for your benevolence of sparing him the symbiote and freeing him of the Monarchs' influence. He will periodically give you updates on what he knows as a mid level member of the College of Magi and also gather some recruits for later conversion when you are ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Killian Graves - Star Gate, Initial Outlook

Killian gives a low whistle of approval as the sphinx is cleaved in two. Good job. He sets the end of his staff back on the ground and dusts himself off.

"You looked like you could use the help," he says, before giving a small bow, arm across his waist. "You can call me Killian, but I think more comfortable surroundings would be a better place for further questions. Lead on," he says, gesturing.

Following the dragonman.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade watched the magi go, satisfied that he had gained a valuable asset. The man seemed motivated, which was good. Of course, in the long run he would eventually need to either accept the symbiote or lose his magic. Even the Monarch's who as far as Rade could tell were so confident in their power they normally didn't bother to take any steps to keep their subjects in line understood that keeping a tight leash on the magi was wise. Rade planned to put them to a better use, and planned to make sure that unlike the Monarchs the Magi didn't constantly chafe under the collar he imposed. That didn't mean that he was so foolish as to leave them to their own devices. Still, that was a problem for the future. In the present, his new agent would need time to make arrangements for additional conversions or a possible route for Rade to infiltrate.

So, in the interim, Rade turned his attention to one of the portions of the capital he had not visited, the area that was hope of the so-called nobles of this kingdom. He knew it would be more difficult to move around there, but he wanted as full a picture of the kingdom as he could manage. Not to mention, there was no telling what opportunities might pop up from an investigation there. If nothing else, it would help him make any propaganda he devised more effective by providing a base of reality to add color to whatever lurid stories he might make up about their evil acts.

Heading more towards the more upper-class area, trying to stay unobtrusive but keeping an eye out for any ways to get a better idea of what the nobles (such as they are) are up to.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Killian Graves - Star Door, Initial Outlook

The dragon whose name turned out to be Kevlarr explained some basic information about their world as you walked. The dragons and the sphinxs had been at war as long as anyone could remember, longer than any written records of either side. The sphinxs lived in the sky on their islands that they kept aloft and lush through their magic, while the dragons lived on the ground and used industry and science to survive and build their civilisation. Dragons were hardy and could live in many of the hostile places in the world for a while but they lacked the magic of the sphinxs. Killian had seen some artificers use some furnaces and steam in his home world to create things similar to what he saw with the dragon factories but nothing to the scale of the raw industry. You could quickly note that the dragons were physically very diverse even if they seemed to consider themselves one people. Some were large and preferred a quadrupedal gait almost like the creatures Killian would have known as dragons, others were roughly human in size and proportion but with draconic features. Some were small and nimble fliers and of course others were like your guide, somewhere around a troll in height and build.

In the middle of a number of buildings that looked like barracks, a refectory and some sort of gymnasium you stopped in front of a great dragon-like construct that was slumped forwards and inactive. Kevlarr explained; "we tried to build a mechanical god to help us, but without magic we were unable to bestow it with a soul. Now it lies here unsleeping and waiting." He turned to Killian and looked at you quizzically. "Who are you friend? You look like one of us more than the sphinxes but you have weird smooth skin like an animal and you can use magic like them. Where did you come from and what are your plans?"

You could slot your soul into it if you want to gain the divine domain of Dragon Wargod [+2], of course this would involve casting off your current body to do so...

Right now Kevlarr is interested in knowing about Killian, who and what he is, where he came from, why he's here, what he plans to do (and if he'll hang around to help the dragons with the war) and where his magic came from and how he uses it. It's clear the dragons would love to get their hands on magic to transform the current asymmetrical stalemate to their advantage.

Luck roll: 8

It was easy to enter the nobles area as the capital was a three dimensional space and so gating off roads was practically useless, but Rade could see that there were more guards here and people in nicer accessories moving around in the crevasse that all the noble houses were carved into. Maloris pointed out where the college of the Magi was, quite deep into the ravine and the palace nearby to it but approaching closer would be inviting notice for sure. Taking stock of the noble quarters, Rade could immediately see that the nobles had nicer accessories than the commoners and merchants higher up in the city (Neardwellers did not favour clothing much as it was more of an impediment in the water) and that they also had servants. Not as many servants as Rade had seen some nobles have in his birth world, but the kingdom was in decline and maintaining even a few servants must be a tremendous symbol of status by now. Most of the estates also seemed to have at least two guards watching outside with the deeper ones having a few more that came in and out periodically on patrol.

However after a minute or two of looking around, one of the burlier Neardwellers that Rade had seen in the city swam up from a nearby estate and pointedly said that if you did not have business you should move away from the noble area. Rade knew from what Maloris had told him previously that this man was just a private guard and had no authority to actually force you away, but resisting would cause a scene and draw attention. Unless that was what Rade wished...

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door, Capital Noble Area

As the guard approaches, Rade quickly appraises him. He was on the larger side for near-dwellers, though he didn't appear to be anything too special. Nonetheless, he seemed like he might make good base material. As for how to deal with him, as soon as he started to approach an idea came to Rade. As he got closer, Rade quickly changed his demeanor. Thanks to his current appearance, he was far less threatening than his true form. Now Rade played that up, but more than that he attempted to convey just the right mix emotions to have the guard jump to a completely incorrect conclusion. When the guard arrives he listens to the warning then leans in in towards the guard and says quietly so that his voice does not carry, "I'm actually here to speak to you," and hope he had read the situation in the capital correctly.

If he was right, than no matter what world he might be in nobles will plot and scheme. Nowhere more so than than a land in terminal decline like this one. When each new day shrank the pie bit by bit, nobles would have to bite and scratch and kill just to stay in place. Never would they be more vicious or spin more plots then when their very status was perpetually on the line. In that sort of situation, it'd no doubt be common for nobles to want to pass along information that would advance their own position or damage the plans of their rivals without their own involvement becoming known. In Rade's experience when they wanted to do this sort of thing, they'd find someone down on their luck. A patsy that was desperate and more importantly completely expendable. Then you have a cutout give them the information they were meant to carry and presto a courier who you didn't care if they lived or died and who couldn't tie you to the deed even if they wanted to. So, Rade was attempting to trick the guard into thinking he was one of those expendable couriers. If Rade was right, this wouldn't be the first time the guard had run into his kind.

"I've been instructed to provide your employer with certain information. Just..." he tries to sound nervous, "just not out where everyone can see us, you understand." He lets some desperation show in his features, "I won't get paid if I share it with anyone but your employer or someone who works for him, like you." If all went to plan, the guard would pull him somewhere more private both to get the information, but also to make it easier to dispose of the harmless wretch that Rade was portraying. Not that it would go anything like the guard expected once Rade didn't have to worry about blowing his cover in front of so many people.

Rade's trying to convince the guard to take them someplace more private by pretending to be an expendable courier from another noble who wants to tip the guard's master off to something in order to screw over a rival. The idea being that the guard has hopefully seen this sort of thing before and would take him away from prying eyes in order to extract the info and then kill him. Rade of course, has other plans once they're not in public anymore.

Experienced Mercenary[+2] - No matter were Rade goes, nobles wend their plans and plots. Having been a paid agent of them in one lifetime means he knows how to sell the idea that's what he is now too.

Intuitive Leader[+4] - Rade's reading this guy, how best to get him to buy into this story. Just the right way to phrase it, the right tone to take to seem nonthreatening and desperate. To truly make him believe that if he can get Rade somewhere away from prying eyes he can take the info and just dispose of Rade.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Killian Graves - Star Gate, Barracks

Killian gives the towering Iron God a look-over, mostly out of curiosity rather than any particular interest. He had no interest in becoming this metal shell.

Killian gestures with a bit of a flourish; "I am Killian Graves: advisor and administrator, courtier and councilor, sage and sorcerer, trader and traveler. As for what I am, I'd prefer not to go into details. Past prejudices. I am as you see me, and that will have to suffice."

"But since I am here and you are in need, I see no reason not to lend you my aid."

Using my Silver Tongue +2 to convince him I am much more worthy of trust than a stranger might otherwise be, helpful or no.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Rade - Flower Door, Capital Noble Area

Result: 8 + 6 - Success

There was a look of wary recognition from the guard. He didn't appear to be a complete simpleton but Rade could immediately get the impression that he might have ended up in the wrong side of some deal between his masters and another noble before. The guard replied; "okay, yeah yeah. My buddy can watch the entrance for a few minutes, follow me." He led the pair of you back over the top of the canyon and then into a little 'alley' between two giant seashell houses and some coral that was starting to bleach a little. Once you got under a tarp and were out of easy line of sight, he relaxed slightly and asked; "okay, what is it you need to say?"

Your deception seems to have worked, time to drop your act and give your recruitment pitch.

Killian Graves - Star Door, Kri-Orta Factory Dormitory Sector

Result: 7 + 2 - Success

Kevlarr was very convinced of your trustworthiness without any work needed on your part. Your comment of discrimination earned you a sympathetic look and a reassuring pat on your should from the dragon-man standing 2 heads taller than you. "I understand." He said with his next words indicating that he did not, in fact, understand at all. "Some of the smaller members of our factory sometimes get a little bullied by some of the big folks. I might not be so big, but if anyone picks on you just let me know and I'll give them an earful." His comment made you wonder what the size spectrum for these dragons really was if this guy did not consider himself that tall or large in the scheme of society.

Your new friend took you to what he called the Union. They seemed to be a collection of overseers for the factory and there was a small dragonet sized member, one of a similar size and stature to a human, two of Kevlarr's height, one more that was the size of a young dragon from your homeland and then a larger one the size of what you would recognise as an adult dragon. The largest seemed to have been on lookout, extending her neck upwards to gaze around as she vigilantly checked the horizon. After instructing a group of the small dragonets to go on patrol she lowered her head down to the discussion where Kevlarr had been explaining how he had met Killian and how he had agreed to use his magic to help. The Union was pleased by this new resource, although were unsure how to best leverage it. One of the burly peers of Kevlarr, a fellow by the name of Reeber asked you; "so what can you do Comrade Graves and what do you think you can help us?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade - Flower Door, Capital Noble Area, Secluded Alley

Rade steps closer to the man, approaching as though he wants to say something without his voice carrying. However, when he's right on top of the other man, Rade drops the facade of cringing fear, places his hands on the guard's shoulders and then with a calculated application of his power removes his disguise. In a instant, no longer is there an unremarkable and malnourished near-dweller, but rather his true leonin form in all its size, muscle, and majesty. Where once the guard, one of the largest unenhanced near-dwellers Rade had ever seen, had towered over Rade in his disguise. Now, perhaps for the first time in his life, someone loomed over him. With the difference in size and power, and the fact that Rade was effectively already in a position where he could snap the guard like a twig, it would be natural for the guard to feel weak and intimidated. However, at the same time Rade's returning pheromone glands were working at full power. Thanks to the limited space and close quarters, the guard would be smothered with pheromones intended to induce an intense feeling of safety, relaxation, and contentment. If everything went as Rade intended the guard would feel himself completely defeated, completely in Rade's power, his very life in Rade's hands and yet will have never felt better and more at peace. Hopefully it would sear the idea into his subconscious was that this is how things should, how it was meant to be, under Rade's complete control. If not, it would be child's play to extend one of his claws into the guard's back and inject him with the same paralytic he used on the magi. After all, Rade didn't intend to be detected here.

When the change was complete, and the pheromones sizzling through the guard's body, assuming all went as he envisioned Rade finally spoke. In his deep, rumbling, Leonin baritone, he responds, "Lets talk about your future."

Rade's going to temporarily drop his disguise and return to his much more impressive and intimidating enhanced Leonin form, as part of an effort to influence the guard by mixing physical intimidation (on a person not used to seeing anyone capable of such) with pheromones designed to cause him to experience very strong feelings of safety and contentment. The end goal being for those conflicting feelings to cause the guard to start to just unconsciously start to feel that he, and by extension all near-dwellers, are meant to be under Rade's power and to surrender himself to Rade. Of course, Rade is being cautious (not that he's letting the guard know that) and trying to minimize how detectable his power might be and ensure that if the guard tries anything (trying to break free or yelling or screaming) he'll be paralyzed before anything happens.

Fleshsmith[+4] - Rade's changing his body back into his true form (the towering enhanced Leonin form he was in before disguising himself as a neardweller) using his power, though he's trying to make the effect as quick and undetectable as possible both for effect and to avoid possible detection by the Magi.

Intuitive Leadership[+4] - Rade's plan is based on his read of this guy and what'll most effectively turn him to putty in Rade's hands.

Leonin[+2] - The form he's returning to is the most familar to him, and being descended from an apex preditor can be very intimidating when Rade wants it to.

Pheromones[+2] - Rade's making full use of his enhanced body's pheromone glands and the very close quarters to blast the guy with pheromones designed to cause him to experience feelings of safety and contentment.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Killian Graves - Star Gate, Kri-Orta Factory Dormitory Sector

Killian spares a moment to look between the gathered members of the 'Union', as they were styled, before turning to address Reeber. "Perhaps it would be best to start with summary of the current situation. Besides 'war', that is. How do you wage it, where is the front, is this a stalemate or a series of holding actions, how do your enemies bring the fight to you, and so forth. Paint me a picture, and I will lend you my brush where it might fit best."

Gonna need to know more before I can work my magic.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Result: 10 + 8 + (4) = 22 - Success

It seemed that the man had been socially conditioned to accept that he was meant to follow a strong leader, but for the first time he was seeing a leader before him that was physically powerful as well as just possessing some mere whim of fortune and being born to noble or royal blood. Something in his eyes changed, both as a combination of Rade's powers and intoxicating pheromones but also from the charisma and power that he was displaying. In response the Neardweller merely nodded mutely and awaited his instructions, his posture and body-language clearly indicating obedience.

This guy is pretty much yours now. Of course the longer you linger in your Leonin form, and the more you use your powers, the greater the risk that someone will notice or a passerby will get a whiff of your pheromones drifting on the current. Unless you plan to go loud, Rade should resume his disguise within 2-3 actions or before he leaves this alley.

Most of the dragons present looked towards their largest companion, who seemed to consider Killian's question. Just when it seemed like she wasn't going to respond, Ingrot did indeed speak. "The war is large and our factory is but one cog in the great machine of the dragon people. We do not have all the information, nor much beyond our sector. None of us have been promoted or been given credit worthy of traveling to Central Command." Well that was disappointing and answered little but it seemed that Ingrot had more to say after she took a breath.

"This conflict has been fought for generations, even the oldest of our peoples were born into it. Our oldest records say that we were given a task to protect the world by the ancients from the 'Dangers in the Sky'. The Sphinx have claimed the same legacy but spend their time fighting us and tending to their floating gardens. It seems self-evident that the Sphinx must be this danger the ancients warned us about, otherwise why else would they seek to try and enslave or kill all of us while saying that it is to 'protect the world'. They are not as many as us, nor can they replenish their numbers as quickly. But they have powerful magic and can use enchantments to become powerful enough to need a squad of our smaller kin to take down. The larger of us end up as artillery, bringing to bear our strongest weapons against their most powerful barriers and spells. So far after hundreds of winters we have endured, but we have yet to see signs of victory."

The large dragon looked Killian directly in the face with her large amber eyes. "But you have magic. Maybe you can give us insight into how to fight them better, how to breach their barriers or counter their spells. Even if you yourself cannot in all the sectors at once your knowledge, and perhaps your magic can be. If you can at least wield enchantments like they can."

Rehlor - The Tower, Room of Doors

The man that had saved him from the void of Death that you had fallen into with your Jindan destroyed was powerful, but even with your senses dulled to being merely better than a mortal you could sense there was something about him. Rehlor could instinctively feel that no matter how powerful this person might appear to be, that he had reached the limits of his Dao and could ascend to no greater power. Perhaps that was why he had brought you to this place? You would have to be patient and see what secrets revealed themselves over time. His explanations of the purpose of your presence in the tower and its functions reminded you much of the many sects back in your homelands. You had a place to rest and would be fed, but if you wished to make any progress you would need to journey forth and face dangers to gain power, knowledge and items essential for your cultivation. However unlike the sects you remembered this tower seemed to possess no great library, no alchemy furnaces, no rooms for secluded cultivation nor any treasure vaults filled with mystic relics and weapons.

Either this man had never truly known the Dao and had managed to reach his pinnacle solely through intuition and the fortunes of the Heavens, or he was testing you to learn what he could. The task of "telling a tale" by simply going into the worlds and experiencing them and journeying was not so unlike a Master sending a disciple out into the world. So it was that you memorised the rules of the tower; you could not fight with the other participants and would be punished for attempting to do so; you could get food and drink in any quantity you needed and the kitchen would adjust to your needs but it could not make tools nor resources that were not cooking ingredients; you could bring objects from one door into another but some objects were bound too tightly to their worlds to be removed; if you died you would be returned to the tower to rest and recuperate. The last rule was generous and made Rehlor consider if there were hidden consequences for dying. The struggle for life in the face of lethal danger was part of the crucible that forged a Cultivator and without that risk of death there were some lessons one might never truly learn.

With that in mind Rehlor was left to consider the 4 doors in the room around him. Checking the precipice of them left bad impressions of the Cog and the Flower doors. The former reeked of foul and corrupted Qi so badly that even your senses, dulled by the lack of your Golden Core, could recognise it immediately. The Flower door did not seem so bad at first, but after a few moments Rehlor could sense the trace of something dark and powerful whose Qi could not be covered up completely. The world behind the Star door emanated strong Yang energy, a dry world and the plateau beyond it had only rough and hardy shrubs and grasses growing. You could see signs of buildings in the distance with great chimneys releasing smoke into the sky but they looked more like a giant mortal smithy than any sort of alchemical furnace. The master of this place had also warned you that another had recently entered this door and that you might come into conflict with him readily if you met. The last door, with a Butterly or Moth on it, had a world that had a snow-covered forest behind it. You did not even need to try and sense beyond the precipice to know that it would have tremendous Yin energy, and in your home world Rehlor had heard that those that could manage to survive and cultivate in places of intense cold often made tremendous progress in their cultivation. There was also a mansion with a reddish light coming from its windows in the distance and a large hill beyond that.

You can choose one of the 4 doors to enter. Based on our discussions I don't think the Cog Door is a good match for you. Valhawk has gone into the Flower door, while you could go above the water and stay away from his plans for now it is a society closer to DnD-inspired fantasy which might not match well with your story. Similarly Rhjamiz has just gone into the Star Door and while you could go with the Sphinxes and avoid him for now it would still bring you into conflict in time. Given this I think your best choice is the Butterfly door, but the choice is of course yours in the end.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Seeing the guard submit, Rade can't help but smile. "Good, I'm glad you understand." He squeezes the guard's shoulders slightly, enough for him to feel the pressure and strength in his grip but not to be painful. "From this moment on you are mine. You owe loyalty to me and me alone, no one else, especially not your former so-called lord." His smile widens, "In fact, in a moment I'm going to resume my disguise and you'll take me and my compatriot to meet privately with him without raising any suspicion." He looks back in the direction of the noble's manor. What better way to get more information on the kingdom's secrets than straight from the mouth of one its nobles. It would also double as a very immediate and straightforwards test of loyalty for his new servant. Placing him in a position where he had to betray either his previous master or Rade would prove fairly conclusively where his true loyalties lay. Not that Rade wasn't going to stack the odds even further in his favor. "First, however, a little reward for how quickly you recognized your proper place."

Rade didn't break eye contact with the guard or his grip as he began to carefully pour power into him. Rade had grown experienced with enhancing the near-dweller form, though in this case there was an important limitation. For the guard to serve the immediate purposes Rade had for him, there could be no obvious sign that he was a servant of Rade now. Meaning that there could be no dramatic alteration to his current physical appearance. If he suddenly gained a foot of height and several hundred pounds of new muscle it'd be obvious that something had happened. However, that only had to be skin deep, so Rade did what he could to enhance him, make his existing muscle cords denser and more powerful, strengthen his bones, improve his organs, enhance his nervous system and brain. He poured in what improvements he could that wouldn't give the game away about the guard's new loyalties. Of course, as had become habit for him at this point he worked to ensure that the guard would experience being changed by him as pure rapture. This combined with the enhancements should hopefully cement beyond any shadow of doubt to the guard that being the leonin's devoted servant is truly what he was meant to be.

Once it was finished, Rade looked over his work, and asks, "So what should I call you?"

Rade's souping the guy up as much as possible without visibly changing his outside appearance. Stronger, faster, smarter, tougher, etc. Also, as per usual he's making sure getting changed by him feels amazing to tighten Rade's grip on the him. Setting up for putting the disguise back on and having the guard escort Rade and Maloris to meet privately w/ the noble without raising any suspicion.

Fleshsmith[+4] - To enhance the guard as much as possible without creating any obvious change in his exterior appearance.

Intuitive Leader[+4] - Rade's intentionally maintaining a dominant demeanor and physical presence with the guard combined with the change to just reinforce his new loyalties and steel him to betray his previous master.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

"Well, my understanding of magic is more innate than academic, so we can forgo any attempts at lessons," he says with a dismissive wave of his free hand. "But enchantment, yes, I can do that of a sort. But it comes at a cost, and I do not mean the monetary kind."

"I can lay powerful magicks on anything you desire, but there will always be a drawback of some kind or another in exchange. It will be on you and yours to work around this, or use it to your advantage."

He rubs his chin as if in thought, his expression that of someone reluctant to bring up an unpleasant topic.

"Additionally, or alternatively, I am willing to try my hand at enhancing one of your forges here in order to make exceptionally powerful weapons or armor from a particularly potent and temperamental species of iron. The cost of this process, however, is more than most are willing to bear."

He waits a beat to build to anticipation, "Tell me, have you taken prisoners of war? Criminals? Deserters? Expendables or undesirables? Are there those among you who are willing to give everything they have, everything they are, for a chance to win this war? The process for smelting Infernal Iron, and the creating of a Hellfire Forge needed to do so, requires sacrifice. It requires a being's essence, its life-force, its spirit. Whatever you like to call it."

He calls it fuel.

Leveraging some Silver-Tongue +2 persuasion to convince these folks that actually, it IS a good idea to throw people into the fire to forge Cool Swords and Guns.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

quote:

Divine Trait:
Green Thumb (+2): Rehlor has discovered his kinship with plant life has grown supernaturally strong after his rebirth. He can identify plants and their properties with ease, can coax them to grow even in hostile environs, and most stunningly, can commune with them telepathically. Plants aren’t the best conversationalists, but they do have a good memory for things they have experienced.

Traits:
Cultivator (+2): While his Golden Core did not survive his death and rebirth, his knowledge and muscle memory did. Rehlor is an exceptional athlete and martial artist, and holds within him a wealth of knowledge of the Four Winds Wrath cultivation laws.

Practiced Investigator (+2): Rehlor has a lot of experience tracking down rumors, treasures, and even bounties. He pursued many an obscure object or person for his training and quest for revenge.

External Alchemy (+2): Rehlor is an expert in the art and has a deep understanding of how the Chi of many things, living or not, can influence the body, mind, and spirit. He is capable of making numerous concoctions with varied effect on living bodies, such as healing, curing disease, poisoning, or strengthening the soul.

Rehlor - The Tower

Mysterious men with vague challenges was about the only thing that was familiar in this place. Rehlor decided to focus on the excitement of possibilities over concerns of the unknown. Still, he found himself a little unsteady at the lack of familiar tools and ritual. Everything about this place was foreign. This mystery man, this Creator, was certainly powerful, though. Four whole worlds lay before him, and if he was to be believed, all of them carved by this one God.

Rehlor decides that since direct conflict is forbidden, he’ll avoid the worlds where others are active. The Cog door made him uneasy. With his Dantian so shallow, not to mention his Core shattered, going into a world of corrupted Qi would be dangerous. While death was no longer final, Rehlor knew that he was being judged. He also knew that trying to Cultivate in a place of corrupted Qi could damage his meridians. Risks with no purpose to them.

The Moth door, however, was perfect. The cold air, the snow, the abundance of Yin Qi. More importantly, much of that would be water aspected. The Way he knew, the Four Winds Wrath, was at its core a wood aspected law. Having a river to grow and maintain his internal forest would serve him well.

Unsure of how well this new body would handle the cold, Rehlor gathers his blue robe around himself and steps into the snow on the other side. He needn’t have worried. The chill air was certainly brusque, but even in his reincarnated state, his body barely noticed the temperature.

He takes a deep breath, tasting the Qi in the air, then exhales slowly. As he does so, he lets his consciousness expand, and takes in the surrounding area.

Going to use Cultivator +2 and Practiced Investigator +2 to get a lay of the land.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Result: 8 + 8 = 16 - Success

The man shivered as Rade threaded his magic through him, changing him to be better but in ways invisible to the naked eye. He closed his eyes throughout the process as your magic worked through his body, as silent as his expression was rapturous. Once the changes were complete and Rade had given his command, the guard nodded in understanding and submission and responded. "My name is is Lokon, although my Lord may call me anything he wishes..." The manner in which he spoke indicated that he had addressed Rade in the same way that he would the master of the nobles he worked for.

You have gained an obedient pawn in the heart of the city. Although a mere guard may have trouble finding the juiciest secrets in that place.

Reeber spoke up after your question of unwilling volunteers. "Well Central Command would certainly have you believe we are a people of one mind, and no one would dare betray their comrades. The truth is that it happens, on both sides. I heard one other factory had a Sphinx who could barely use magic who turned traitor to spite everyone who had bullied and belittled him. They bolted steel plates to him and he channeled some of his magic through a special firearm they made him. Took down a dozen of his former allies before they killed him, or so the rumours go. And we have our own troubles, people who will sell out their friends and family for the promises of the Sphinxes lives of comfort and the benefits of magic." There were dark expressions around the table at that comment, which made Killian wonder if these people had known someone who had done just that. Ingrot had something else to add after that comment. "Every time we get someone down from Central visiting everyone is always in jitters for a bit to see if they're some sort of an inquisitor or not."

Kevlarr had been silent all this time, letting his superiors speak. But in the pause left after that discussion he pressed Killian; "So how much is the cost? Many here would be willing to sacrifice blood if need be, while we know little of magic we have learned that many times that is important some spells and rituals. If it's the life of someone...well that's a grim price to pay but there would be certainly be some who are infirm or too injured to continue to fight who might agree to that."

You've got a nibble on your line.

Rehlor - Butterfly Door, Doorway Clearing

Result: 6 + 4 - Partial success

Your senses did not expand as far as you had hoped, they stopped short due to the distorting influence of the strong Yin energy of this world. However Rehlor was able to determine a few things, sensing a few strong traces of energy. One was a strong source of energy, a roiling mix of unbalanced yet harmonious Yin and Yang energies. As soon as you sensed the Qi it seemed to vanish as though hiding from your senses, although Rehlor got a vague sense of its location and the direction it might have been moving in. There was also the manor ahead, from which Rehlor could sense incredibly strong Yang energy from. So much so that it nearly outshone the large hill behind it, which also possessed a vein of Yang energy that while much weaker by comparison also seemed to run deep into the earth. Perhaps some sort of Earthblood vein that you could cultivate at.

Aside from those Rehlor also picked the faint signs of mortal Qi that indicated one or maybe two settlements in the area, but with your senses dulled by your broken Jindan there was little information you could gather based on them.

Some points of interest, but they are mysterious and unknown.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

"Infernal Iron and the Hellfire forge needed to fashion it would require all of a being's life-force. Their soul. For these, there are no half-measures. The Hells play for keeps."

He spreads his hands. "It is a steep price, I know. Here, let me see one of those weapons there," he points at a dragon-man's rifle. When the weapon is passed over to him, he leans his staff against the wall and takes the gun, examining it. He turns it over in his hands, pulling at the action, trying to figure out how it works. Its form certainly suggests a function, though in truth Killian did not need to understand the specifics. Clearly, this weapon launches a projectile somehow. Now, it would project something far more powerful. Green-blue flecks of flame seem to spread from where he touched and worm their way over the weapon, leaving it un-marked, but not un-changed.

He turned to Kevlarr, passing him the cursed weapon, "How long do your kind live? This weapon will take the life from you a piece at a time, but no longer requires bolt nor bullet. Just... careful where you point it."

Using Curses +2 and Sorcery +2 to Curse this rifle; requiring no ammunition, the weapon will now fire a powerful bolt of destructive magical energy, but each shot will cost the user One Year of their Life.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Rehlor - Moth Door

Rehlor did his best to quash the annoyance of being half-blind. Life must struggle in order to grow stronger, he reminded himself. He would regain, and surpass, his former abilities only with time and pain.

Turning away from thoughts of future and past, Rehlor focuses on the problems of now. A creature of power was nearby. Perhaps an old master, he thought, or a powerful Demon. Whatever it was, it offered a chance at getting his footing in this new world.

Rehlor sings a short mantra, summoning the west wind to assist him. The wind lightens his body and puts a spring in his step as he starts searching for the now hidden power.

Cultivator +2 and Practiced Investigator +2, trying to find the creature hiding from him.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade's smile only widened and his pheromones communicated his enjoyment of the deference to his new servant. Of course, now was not the time to dally. So after a moment he released his grip on Lokon and took a step back. From there it was straightforwards enough to use his power to restore his disguise. After another moment he would once more appear to be an unassuming and malnourished near-dweller.

Once the change was complete he looked to Lokon. "Now, it's time to meet your former employer. We'll resume the charade that I am a disposable courier, and you will take me to him. You'll say that I have information of such importance and delicacy that he would punish you if you failed to being me to him at once. As to what that might be..." Rade had been the lackey of many a noble in his past life. He's done their dirty deeds for their coin. Now he drew on that knowledge to try and come up with a plausible enough idea as to what information he might have that would require an immediate and private interview with the master of the house. He quickly reeled off a few ideas for Lokon's input, relying on the guard to add appropriate local color and pick the most effective of the list he came up with.

Once everything was ready the plan was set into motion. Lokon would act as though he was still the noble's guard acting on his master's behalf and Rade played the part of the scarred commoner who had realized he carried information that was dangerous for him to know. If all went to plan he'd soon have the noble in his hands, none the wiser of the guard's change in loyalties until it was too late.

Rade's resuming his disguise then getting Lokon to take him to the lord of the house under the pretense that he has such vital and sensitive information that the lord would want to hear it himself privately and immediately.

Fleshsmith[+4] - To transform his exterior appearance back to that of a near-dweller commoner.

Experienced Mercenary[+2] - Rade's been around enough nobles and intrigues in his past life to come up with a plausible idea of what type of secret would cause a noble to demand to hear details on private.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 27, 2023

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
(I've had a really bad flu for 4 days so I have not been up to posting. I am planning to post tomorrow if I continue to get better)

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I am finally recovered and rested enough to start posting again. Thank you everyone for your patience, it was a particularly brutal flu and I got off lighter than my two friends who also caught it at the same time...

Result: 8 + 4 = 12 - Success

The group looked up to Ingrott who nodded and then carefully and delicately picked up the gun with one of her foreclaws. She barked an order to someone outside who brought in a target and the group watched as she took aim carefully (she was clearly not used to firing a gun) and shot the target. Flames licked the muzzle as it fired out a bolt of greenish blue energy that left a large smouldering hole in the target and a smaller hole in the wall behind it.

"An impressive weapon." She commented as she examined it again. "I could feel a small prick of something taken from me, like I was being blooded. Given that I could live for hundreds of years more it is a small price to pay for the likes of me. For the weaker of us it could be a weapon of last resort and for the rest of our kind...well not many of us get to live to old age." There were somber murmurs and nods of agreement with that assessment. "We will take more of these if you can make them and it would please you to do so."

There was a pause, inviting Killian to show anything else he might want to or have before they finished the meeting.

Got anything else to propose or show?

Result: 9 + 4 = 13 - Success

You leapt through the boughs of the trees in the forest towards where you last sensed the trace of the presence. Rehlor extended his senses as he got closer and found a place where the wind blew around an object that he could not really sense or feel. Drawing closer you could see a tall black haired figure wearing a large fur coat that was disconcertingly looking at you as you approached. You dashed around a little bit to test to see if he was truly tracking you, but his striking golden eyes still followed Rehlor. It was up to Rehlor whether he wanted to approach the man or not for while his pose did not suggest he planned to attack or expected violence there was a languid wariness that you recognised as a sign of someone who was able to quickly defend himself if he needed to. More concerning was the visible ease in the man's posture; he did not consider Rehlor a threat.

The man is watching you. He seems dangerous but not aggressive, at least not at the moment.

Result: 8 + 6 = 14 - Success

There was a look of quiet disquiet and unease on Maloris' disguised face as you went over your plan but he did not criticise you nor did he speak to Rade while he was working with Lokon. By the time Rade was reassuming his disguise your priest had put his mask back on, even if Rade knew that he was not eager to go further into the heart of the power of the kingdom right now. They plan was for Rade to pretend to be acting on behalf of house Filliscar with a plan submerge a lily-pad and to capture the amphibians that lived on it. The lily-pad was on the surface a short distance from the city, plausibly close but also far enough to not be seen unless someone happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but lay in territory "claimed" by another noble house. The windfall of food would help ease the Tithe burden on the kingdom for a season which would earn the house favour from the royals and also perhaps some good will from the commoners. While this would be at the expense of the nobles who were supposed to 'own' the lily-pad it was at it's core the sort of backstabbing plan that Rade was sure was the norm for any aristocratic society anywhere.

I've given you a plan to give to the noble but how much of it you give is entirely up to your discretion. You're also free to twist and change it, the plan is just a foundation for you to work from that Rade can be confident would be plausible and convincing.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Rehlor places his back to a nearby tree, keeping the man in sight without facing him straight on. Qi senses may have left much to be desired about the man with golden eyes, but Rehlor had a new technique. What better time to try it?

Opening his mind, Rehlor reaches out to the tree telepathically. “What can you tell me of this man?”

Using Green Thumb +2 and Practiced Investigator +2 to see if the local evergreens can tell me anything about the hidden man.

Glad you’re feeling better. Hope all is well.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

The details of the false intelligence were less important than that it was plausible, and the feedback he received from Maloris and Lokon seemed to confirm that this was. Now, he needed to parlay this into a chance to get in the same room with the Lokon's former employer, preferably with a minimum of other witnesses. So, putting back on the act of the cringing and frightened surf carrying information far above his station as a disposable cats paw for another noble, he has Lokon escort him back to the noble's residence. Maloris would have to wait outside, on the lookout for pre-arranged signals to indicate he needed to intervene or that it was safe to enter.

Rade didn't expect getting in to be too simple. Still, with the threadbare nature of the kingdom he had noticed most nobles had far fewer servants than on the world of his birth. If he was lucky, it might mean that a meeting with just a single guard, who the noble would not realize had already been subverted, wouldn't be so implausible. At each step of the way, Rade made use of his ability to read people and what would motivate or frighten them to do what he could without breaking character to bring him closer and closer to his objective.

Rade's trying to get an audience with the noble, preferably where he's alone with the noble and the Lokon. Using the fake intel as a pretext to try and set things up so it's just the noble, Lokon, and him in a private place. Maloris is watching from the outside to act as backup if things go south.

Intuitive Leadership[+4] - Rade's intuitive understanding of what motivates others is being used to try and maneuver any intermediaries he meets to setup the end goal Rade is aiming for without breaking character.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Rehlor - Butterfly Door, Forest

Result: 7 + 4 - Success

Rehlor spoke to the tree and could feel it shrug off its lethargy, although trees still grew in these cold lands there was a sense of them being languidly half-awake in their thoughts. That one? The sleepy response came. That one is not a man. Nay, much more powerful than even the strongest of the Duchess's followers. Older than the most ancient tree in these woods. He is a being of power and shadow who wears the form of a man when it pleases him.

The man waited as he continued to look directly at you. Rehlor could sense subtle movements in the air and posture that suggested that the man did not plan to wait forever.

Success. If you do not interact with the man soon though, he will do something or leave.

Rade - Flower Door, Capital Noble Area, Noble's Estate

Result: 4 + 4 - Success (minor complication)

His path to the noble did not take as many steps as Rade had feared but more than he would have liked. Lokon to his credit knew the words to say and the ways to speak that gave a sense of urgency and fear to Rade's presence. More than before you became convinced that he had failed to take heed in this once before and had suffered greatly for it. To meet with the noble Rade first had to be passed by the other guard, then by the head housemaid and finally to the butler. The butler then rushed off to organise other staff and to notify the lady of the house that she had an important visitor. Once Rade had met with the butler though, Lokon was obviously to be dismissed to return to his post at the entrance to the estate. If you wished to keep him with you then you would need to insist on it, but there would be some questions asked as to the guard's role in the meeting and plan.

The lady herself was a healthier looking woman without the slight signs of malnutrition and mean diet that many other people in the city showed. Her skin was a more vibrant hue compared to most Neardwellers that Rade had seen, and her eyes did not have a slightly pale tinge to them. She wore a collection of pearls and some gemstones that were very modest in Rade's limited experience of nobility from his home, but were probably much more impressive to the impoverished people of this nation. Gemstones might be a more exotic luxury good in the Neardweller society as well given the issues with metallurgy and advanced tool making underwater. Mining was probably something that they had to trade for tools with the Overdwellers to do, or something left to the kingdoms above land entirely.

She sat there looking at Rade with a slightly intrigued look. More to Rade's concern was the fact she seemed to feel more in control of the meeting than he would have expected. But as far as Rade could tell he and Lokon had made no mistakes or faux pas in coming here. So something he had not factored in had come into play.

You succeed but the minor complication will be fully revealed next update. Also let me know if you insist on bringing Lokon or not, I wasn't sure on your exact plans with him once you got too the meeting.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade was escorted into the room by the butler, and took stock of the noble that was his target. She was in better health, and had some few small trinkets and jewelry, but otherwise nothing too impressive. However, something was off. Rade had originally planned to play things out a bit and potentially feel out the noble. However, now it seemed like she might suspect something, though he was fairly confident she had no actual idea what he really was. Better to not give her the chance to figure anything out. At the moment, the only ones in the room were the noble and the butler, and this area was fairly private. So, before their discussion even really began, the first moment he had both of them in arms reach or close enough to it, he struck. He attempted to strike each of them with a paralytic laced claw, with enough dosage to render them immediately insensate.

As for Lokon, by prearrangement he should be guarding the door to prevent them from being interrupted. He was a house guard after all, and if challenged could always claim he had been ordered to do so by the lady herself.

Rade's trying to subdue both the noble and the butler w/ paralytic claws. Lokon (if he can do so without raising too much suspicion) should post himself outside the closed door to prevent them from being interrupted, pretending like it was the noble who ordered him to do so.

Fleshsmith[+4] - To temporary restore his paralytic claws from his Leonin form with enough dosage to immediately knock out both of them with a single scratch.

Experienced Mercenary[+2] - To pick the right moment for his attack to be able to catch both of them off-guard and without being able to call for help.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Rehlor silently thanks the half-dozing tree and turns to face the creature in the clearing. The proper form amongst Cultivators when meeting an unknown is to show respect and confidence, identify yourself and your school, and finally to plainly state your hopes for the conversation. Strangers in the wild, away from the laws, customs, and prying eyes of the civilized world, are always a risk. Unknown Cultivators doubly so.

His pale blue eyes meet those golden orbs for but a moment before he bows deeply. Rehlor then straightens and speaks to the creature directly. “I am Rehlor, practitioner of the Four Winds Wrath cultivation law, and visitor from a world beyond this one.” His voice sounds like a whisper yet carries easily over the distance between them. “I’m searching for the story of this realm and its people. Perhaps we can trade information?”

Practiced Investigator +2 to engage the not-human in peaceful dialogue. Cultivator +2 might be relevant if customs are similar enough, but that’s your call.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

8 + 6 = 14 - Success

Whatever the lady and her butler thought was going on in this room, they certainly did not expect what came next. During the initial meaningless trivialities and pleasantries your window to strike came and Rade took it. In a split second before the noble could react she was immobile and paralysed. The butler was shocked for a second and then he too was down for the count. Both of them floated their unable to speak or move, barely able to perceive what was happening. You couldn't keep them like this forever, they would suffocate in time if they were unable to move at all but you certainly had a few minutes at least to act before they would begin to be in danger. Longer than that and you risked someone's curiosity getting the better of their sense of preservation to check on why the room was suddenly silent.

The man smiled a little as you spoke. "You do not need your tricks to speak to me, stranger from beyond the door. Come closer so we may chat like people. People here call me The Hunter and I my power is me just as I am my power. I do not need to follow any teachings or philosophy to wield it." He beckoned for you to come down and to speak with him. While this Hunter's stance and pose became more at ease and relaxed, something about him was still dangerous and Rehlor did not doubt that he could react faster than Rehlor currently could to any surprise attack.

Result: 7 + 4 = 11 - Partial Success

Hunter spoke again regardless of whether Rehlor decided to approach him or not. "My creator bound me by certain rules I cannot violate. I can only tell you the wrong answer to your question. Consider what is the right question to ask."

Hunter is trying to give you a hint but is bound by rules that prevents him from giving you clear information. At the very least he knows of the Door and was made by something, perhaps the man in the tower?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Rehlor grins, nods, and begins walking over to The Hunter. He does his best to look casual, but his mind races, “This one has great powers of deception and subterfuge, yet desires we speak plainly. Perhaps a trick to make me think of him as man, not shadow taking man’s form? Or maybe a sign of respect for those who come from the door? Better prepared than not, in any case.”

With barely a thought, Rehlor channels Qi through his inner eye and sends it racing through his crown, then down his spine to the Bladder meridian. Satisfied his senses are at their peak, he next casts his mind out to the surrounding plant life. Dormant as the plants likely are, he pitches his psychic voice into a shout, “WARN ME OF DANGER OR APPROACHING PEOPLE AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED!” An untested rope, to be sure, but the only one he has for now.

Rehlor stops about six feet from The Hunter, bowing slightly again. He says, “I am Rehlor, and I do indeed come from beyond the Door. I am honored to make your acquaintance, Hunter.” His voice is strong and confident, but the higher than normal pitch and the cadence of his native tongue gives his speech a song-like quality. “You are a creature, ancient and powerful, but not a man. It seems your creator wrote deception into your being, but you struggle against it.” Rehlor smile’s wanly as he considers the burden.

Rehlor pushes a trivial amount of Qi through his liver meridian and releases it through his mouth. Behind him, a small, silent vortex of wind stirs at the snowy ground and lifts itself a few feet in the air. He sits on the whirling pocket, and it holds him aloft without wavering. He continues speaking.

“It seems the first question should be about the nature of your bindings. I could ask if you must lie about everything, but what possible answer could be trusted?” He thinks for a moment, then smiles again, “Perhaps a question of known fact, then. Where does the Door stand, and has anyone come through it today?”

Going to attempt to preempt danger with a web of Cultivator +2 heightened senses, Green Thumb +2 plant watchmen, and Practiced Investigator +2 skill to interpret signs and signals.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade moved quickly, time was now a very limiting factor. He walks over to the noble and exerts his power on himself. What he needed was information, and rather than trying and convince and cajole and threaten it out and have to try and separate fact from lies and distortion he would just get it straight from the source. Some of his flesh was formed into a thin tentacle which would when quiescent in his leonin form appear to be little more than a brain in his mane. He made it fully prehensile and at its end was a sharp needle-like structure capable of burrowing through flesh without causing excessive collateral damage and containing a cord of neural tissue running throughout its entire length.

Once it was formed, with a thought Rade directed the tentacle through the noble's nose, attempting to connect to the brain stem via the sinus cavity. If this worked, it would allow him to infiltrate the brain with a minimum of injury to the noble, and nothing that would be obvious short of dissection.

Rade will attempt to plug into and hijack the noble's brain by creating a tentacle designed to burrow into a target's brain with a minimum of damage.

Fleshsmith[+4] - To form the tentacle and imbue it with the ability to reach the brain and hijack it with a minimum of damage to the target.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Killian acknowledges the pause and it's implied question.

"What would you want?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Result: 3 + 6 = 9 - Partial Failure

The large man blinked for a second at your questions before responding. He gestured the direction of the door from which you cave and gave you an exact measurement in li, a unit you were familiar with. "You are the only person that I am aware of that has traveled through it today. Although that doesn't mean others have not done so without my noticing them." He continued as he finished answering your questions. "Rehlor, I think you misunderstand things. There are things that I am forbidden from speaking of but it is not to deceive you, but instead to not lead you to making assumptions under mistaken conceptions. While I am happy to indulge your game of truth and lies for a while, I do not believe you will gain anything from it that you seek. I also have things that I need to do. My patience is not without limits." His words were kindly but there was a sternness to them that made you think of your masters from home. People who had lived much longer and experienced more than you. To them you were almost like a child and their patience was like that to a child.

The plants around you roused a little and spoke in your mind. The one that cloaks himself in shadows is friend to man, but enemy to the bugs. He has cracked open their metal bark and their hot sap has spilled onto the ground. If you are a bug then flee. If you are a man then you will be safe.

Result: 7 + 4 = 11 - Success with complications

The living probe you created worked and you were able to insert it through the nasal passage of the noble. However while you had an intuitive sense of the body with your power, you realised that this would not make you a skilled surgeon as you had hoped. The probe was alive and aware just enough to avoid fatal injuries but if you used it to extract information, or to influence the noble's body in some way there was no doubt in your mind that you would damage them in some way. Depending on the damage it could cause damage to their minds or some sort of physical symptom like that of a stroke. But potentially you could use it to coerce them safely if you wished to let them regain some awareness or had a way to communicate without them moving.

You made the probe but it is not perfect and so there will be some damage done to them as a result of using it. As a result the severity of the damage will depend exactly on your next roll when you use it. Also you could quite feasibly repair damage done but this will take time away from other potential actions.

Ingrot had a reply ready. "Something to dull the impact of magic, or to block it outright. Something that would let us cancel the magic of the sphinxes before it even finished manifesting. A way to attack them without them seeing us. Cloaks to keep us hidden from their senses, mundane and magical. Weapons that attack soundlessly and without warning." As she listed things off from her head others in the group nodded suggesting that these were things they had discussed and contemplated in the past. "More we could ask for but we need to better understand what the limits of your powers are, and what you can do with them, before we could bring more developed ideas or schematics to you."

Hopefully this is enough to get you started.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Rehlor nods his head low in respect. "You show great patience with a newcomer to your world. It is appreciated."

"Could you tell me about your enemies, the bugs? Also, who and what is the Duchess?"

Practiced Investigator +2 for questioning, and Green Thumb +2 for keeping his ear to the ground for what the plants have to add. Rehlor's not comfortable with this lack of formality and mysticism, and Cultivator no longer applies I think.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Without any hesitation, Rade immediately went to work using his new appendage to try and extract as much relevant information from the noble's brain as possible. He needed to act quickly as time was limited, and if he played his cards right he might be able to use the information he gained to gain himself some additional time to repair any damage to the noble. His eyes turned to the still insensate butler. However, ultimately it was more important to get what he came for even if it meant he needed to kill the noble before this was all over.

Rade's going to try and extract any relevant information he can find from the noble's brain. Primarily looking for stuff about the Monarchs especially anything that might point towards a weakness (like how they seem to actually expend more effort to control the mages), stuff about the kingdom he could use, and lastly info on the butler, especially anything he can use to convert/manipulate him.

Fleshsmith[+4] - To use his new neural probe agenda to ransack the noble's brain.

Experienced Mercenary[+2] - To know the signs of what actually useful info would look like.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Killian puts a hand on his chin to think a moment, before stepping forward and using the end of his staff to draw a wide circle in the dirt on the ground approximately three meters in diameter. Inside the circle, he draws a seven-pointed star. Taking a step back to survey his handiwork, he addresses the dragons as if speaking to no-one in particular. Or everyone at once.

"Gather the seven best killers you have here. Not soldiers; killers. Assassins. Death Commandos. Whatever you call them. Have them fully armed and ready for action."

He snaps his fingers as a thought comes to mind, "Oh, and I'll need a ring. And a sword not of dragon make, if you can find one; the more impressive-seeming the better."

While they set about gathering what he had requested, Killian traced over the circle and star, scratching them deeper into the ground again and again, his staff trailing a line of green-blue fire which lingered longer each time.

We're preparing the stage; using Curses +2 to begin laying the groundwork for a Serious Curse.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 23, 2024

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Hunter seemed unphased by your gratitude but continued to indulge your questions. "They call themselves the People and take great insult at being called bugs. They claim to be the original inhabitants of these lands. I cannot say whether this is true or not, but they certainly know how to refine and use Geos (note: pronounced like Gii-os). Before you ask, no I cannot tell you about it, that is something you will need to discover and learn for yourself. The People come in a variety of forms, many of which will resemble or share traits with creatures you are familiar with from your home."

"The Duchess is their leader. She has ruled them for as long as I can remember and I believe her power to be equal to mine, although we have not tested each other in battle. The Duchess and her subjects rule over the humans in these lands with rigid and unfair laws. Life is hard for them and I wish to give them the power to be able to oppose the People on equal terms. A power I could grant to you, although I suspect you would decline it like the other one who came through the door."

Rehlor sensed that Hunter was getting ready to move on and continue with whatever task it was that he was doing before you followed him.

Result: 5 + 6 = 11 - Partial Success (already a success with consequence)

It was hard to navigate the noble's confused memories in the limited time you had before the damage became too severe. While it was unsurprising that she was panicking and struggling with the pain of your invasion into her mind, her lack of focus made navigating her memories extremely difficult. Asking questions aloud to help steer her thoughts Rade got confused flashes of memories. The throne room with some of the Magi casting a divination ritual with the floating corpse of an aquatic mammal that lived in the area. Another memory of the king, newly ascended to the throne asking the Arch Magister about the mood of the Monarchs. Another flash of the noble herself attending a meal with some other nobles and two magi where they discussed the Monarchs and their history. Finally a disjointed and faded memory from her youth where her teacher explained that at first the Monarchs spoke through an undead vessel of the king who was ruling when they appeared. The governess told her now that the Monarchs preferred to go through the Magi.

When you glanced to the butler, the lady's thoughts turned towards carnal memories. She and the butler had been having an affair, just one of many for her. Such things were not uncommon for either the husband or the wife in nobility but it was expected that such matters were kept private as part of the games that the nobles played in their social circles. It seemed that the butler was slightly more favoured than her other trysts, maybe a budding genuine romance unlike the loveless marriage of her noble husband. Rade could also see that the butler was not a kind person, who enjoyed being granted petty power over people but lacked the cunning to be a true danger to the lady. An extra assurance in a partner for her.

Blood started to leak out of the nose and gills of the noble. Unless you acted within the next minute it was almost certain she would suffer a lethal hemorrhage and cleaning up the blood in the water already was going to be difficult.

Roll: 9 + 2 = Preparation successful

Ingrot nodded and sent Reeber and Kevlarr off to talk to the people after speaking to them. She told them to get their most competent willing volunteers but to make sure they understood the risks of this special assignment. Anyone who fell in duty through this mission would have appropriate commendations and compensation sent to their families, and if it went badly then the repsonsibility would fall on Ingrot's wings solely as the commander of their sector. When those two had gone she sent one of the dragonets in the room off to get a commission band from the command quarters, as well as to fetch one of the old rusted relic-blades from the warehouse. The last request earned a slight trill of protest, but was dismissed immediately and told to perform its task. The dragonet flew off leaving Killian to trace the circle in the ground and prepare his ritual.

After asking a few questions about what Killian was doing they understood Killian wished to focus on his task and simply watched until the two tall draconians came back with several people. Four of the seven dragons present were smaller than Killian, two dragonets and two kobold-esque draconains with better posture and more robust builds. Of the last three there were two that reminded Killian of lizardfolk from his homeworld and then the last looked like one of the dragonborn people. You were given their names, ranks and service records as introductions. One of the dragonets was only 8 years old and already had 5 years of duty under his metaphorical belt. Around this time the dragonet flew in with a ring on his arm that looked more like an armlet on his diminutive frame. He also carried an ancient looking blade, with knicks and gashes in the cutting edges and enough rust that Killian wondered how much iron was even left in the thing at this point.

"The blade is a relic we found in an old burial site, exposed by battle. We know it was made by our creators but the age of the burial provisions and the architecture of the exposed tombs indicate that it came from a time when it served purely ceremonial purposes. I do not know exactly what your intent for it is, but the sphinxes do not need to use blades as they have claws, bodies of stone, and powerful magic. Some of their islands have slave populations of our people that could potentially use or make such blades, but as far as we know they are strictly kept from weapons and forges to avoid being a danger to their masters." The tone of Ingrot's voice as she explained this was clearly disgusted and angry, but it was steady with the frustrated acceptance of a long-standing injustice that she could not personally correct at this time. "Do be careful with it please, such artifacts are important to our people. I shall have to appease a great many people in High Command over this requisitioning for your request. As such I hope you appreciate the trust we are putting in you Mr Killian."

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

When the seven arrive, Killian gives each one the once-over, inspecting each for fitness, or as a commander might inspect his troops. The little ones elicit a mildly puzzled, or perhaps concerned frown for a moment before he is apparently satisfied and moves on down the line. "Good, good. They will do just fine." He gestures for the Ancient Sword to be placed aside. "Set it over there, I'll get to that after I finish with all this."

Killian takes the ring next, turning it over to examine it for a moment in his hand before he steps gingerly into the heptagram to place the ring at its exact center. That accomplished, and stepping gingerly to avoid disturbing the lines, he directs each of the seven to their places, pointing here or there with his staff. Or tapping this one or that on their shoulder to step left or right, until each of the dragonkind if standing at one point of the star, facing outward so that each of them stands with their back to the center. "Stand here, yes. Just like that. Whatever you do, don't move from that spot."

Their places taken, Killian moves to stand at the 'top' of the Heptagram, only a few feet from the closest dragonkind. Arms out, his wings unclasping from around his collar and spreading wide as a breeze begins to stir, circling the seven and Killian while he gathers power, gathering in intensity. "Showtime."

The wind whips around Killian as he raises his arms, staff held aloft. Green-blue flames erupt from the gnarled wood, casting cold light on the devilkin and the dragonkind standing there. Green-blue light shines from the Heptagram, circle and lines glowing bright as if from a fire deep underground. Killian begins to chant, speaking in the infernal tongue of devilkin. Completely unknown to the dragonkind, no doubt, but translated below for reader convenience;

"You wish to be silent, and so you shall never be heard. You wish to be hidden, and so you shall never be seen. You wish to take life, and so your lives are no longer your own. You wish to give death, and so you shall never rest. Seven lives. Seven knives. Bound to that which was made with them. Bound to they that wear the First Ring. And upon this Ring shall be laid the power to Command; to command knives, and lives, and the weak of mind. A power given, a debt to be paid."

We're doing the thing; using Curses +2 to Curse the poo poo out of these guys; permanently invisible, silent, undying, and slaves to the Ring of Command; a minor ring that otherwise enhances the wearers presence, leadership, command, etc, where the curse is basically that it is the first link of a chain Killian is forging. A magical hook he can link to other curses down the road.

You take the ring, you're in his debt. Which means you're in his pocket. And once you're in his pocket, you're never getting out.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade withdraws the probe. It didn't appear that she possessed any useful knowledge. As he looked upon her for a long moment he serious considered just letting her die. After all, the more he learned the more he was convinced nobles like her were an entirely useless class. If he was going to have to remove them all anyways not much point in expending energy to keep her alive now. However, that feeling lasted only a moment, suppressed by the realization of how much of annoyance the mysterious murder of an "important" person like this one might cause him. As it was his enemies, at least his moral ones, were happy, fat, and stupid and thus no real threat at all. He'd prefer to keep it that way. So he extremely begrudgingly extends his power to repair the damage his interrogation had caused to her.

Rade will repair the damage the probe caused to the noble.

Fleshsmith[+4] - To repair any damage to the noble.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

"To whom do the bugs answer?" Rehlor asks.

Regardless of the answer, he makes a decision. "Your offer is appreciated, but I'm sure you'll understand if I must decline for now. I plan to rebuild my power, then approach the human settlements and perhaps offer to train them as I was trained. To that end, are there any natural springs of note in this world? A place where clean water flows from under the earth onto the surface would be very helpful. The larger and more spirited, the better."

Before the Hunter departs, he inquires, "How would I find you, should I come to accept your gift?"

More talking

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Result: 12 + 2 = 14 - Great Success

The dragons certainly were unprepared for the spectacle of this work and some recoiled in shock and surprise. After the seven sacrificial members vanished without a sound in a flash of green hell-flame there was a concerned look on Ingrot and far stronger reactions on some of the other dragons. After waiting for a few moments once the magic seemed to have died down, Ingrot asked a little tentatively; "So are they dead?"

A moment later a piece of paper from a desk nearby lifted off of the surface and shook itself with a soft rustle in the air. The large dragon sighed and mentioned to a smaller dragonet to fetch her the forms for people killed in battle and she would sort out compensation after the meeting. After noticing that the paper was still visible, Reeber went to organise some cloth to be fashioned into cloaks and harnesses so that people could know where the invisible dragons were. You could hear him also yelling at someone outside to fetch him a set of communication clackers.

Ingrot turned to Killian again once this was done. "I assume based on your ritual that these enchantments will be permanent? And what payment will you ask for this service rendered?" While she did not seem thrilled by the prospect of the seven soldiers being forever mute and invisible, she apparently had ideas to work around it given the calmness and lack of panic in her speech. Or maybe she just had a very good poker face.

Congratulations on your legally distinct Nazgul!

Result: 5 + 4 = 9 - Partial Success

While you were able to repair the damage you found you could not remember exactly how her mind had looked when you first probed into it. As a result your recreations of the memories you had delved into would be imperfect, faded and dull in comparison to how they had been before. That didn't seem like it would be an issue in general, it might be a giveaway sign for someone investigating but if they were looking into the noble then they'd already suspect or know Rade had been here. The memories around this meeting were blanked out as well and would be a conspicuous gap in her memories for a few fays.

This just left the butler left to deal with.

Although your repairs were imperfect there's almost no chance they will cause you immediate or even long term consequences.

Hunter gave Rehlor a slightly exasperated look at his last question. "You found me today, I'm sure you'll find me again when you need to. If you wish to know whom or what the People serve then I would advise you to ask them." Hunter stressed the name he had said before, reminding Rehlor that saying the wrong thing would cause offence. "As for springs of water there are indeed such places in this region but be careful of the ones that bubble. The water there is too rich with Geos and the sweat of the earth, drinking it will make you sick."

And with that the large man stepped back into the shadow of a tree and was suddenly gone. Rehlor could not sense him in the immediate area and there were no footsteps or other signs of his passing. Moving through shadows was a technique that you had heard of some powerful cultivators doing. Hunter didn't seem like he needed to cultivate towards immortality but it seemed a good indicator that he might be fairly powerful in his own right.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Killian gives his wings a single flap before re-wrapping them around himself, taking a moment to make sure everything is properly set and tucked and clasped. Stepping forward, he kneels down to gingerly pick up the Ring of Command. Standing, he holds it up to examine it a moment before turning to address Ingrot.

"You misunderstand. The price has already been paid. You will neither see nor hear them ever again. But! Neither will your enemies." He holds up the Ring for Ingrot's benefit before using his thumb to flick it over to her, telegraphing the motion so she has ample time to see the action coming and catch it. "This should let you command them even from a distance. Don't let looks deceive; it will fit."

With that accomplished, Killian turns his attention to the old sword. Picking it up from where he had it set down, he gives it a once over, flipping it over in his hands and examining it. He sets it down on a nearby table, crouching down to pick up a handful of sand. Clenching his fist, green-blue flames engulfing it as if he were holding red-hot coals, he begins to slowly sprinkle green-blue embers over the blade, leaning in blow on them here or there as he goes.

"I hope that gives you an idea of the scope of my capabilities. Do let me know if you have any other requests."

We're gonna Curse +2 this sword!: Only one who can be bought can pick up the sword; if money, power, fame or some other price would convince you to betray your cause, your people, or your friends, then you can pick up this sword. But if do, you are branded on the forehead with a glowing Symbol only Killian can see.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 5, 2024

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Rade turned his attention to the butler, the fact that noble would not remember his presence was a happy coincidence, and meant he no longer need to give her much thought. As for the butler, he wasn't much to speak of either. From what he had seen, the man wasn't particularly skilled or had much to recommend him. A petty tyrant without the talent to back it up. If there was ever a man who could use a change in his life here he was, and Rade intended to be the agent of that change whether the man wanted it or not. After all, the butler presented an opportunity Rade could take advantage of. So far, he had only used the neural symbionts on willing hosts, he wasn't sure what the results would be on someone like this. Either the man would be changed by the symbiote or if it failed nothing of real value would be lost.

So, Rade focused his power on forming some small portion of his blood into a symbiote. As with the symbiotes he had used on the magi, it would enter the butlers head and integrate itself with his nervous system. However, this attempt would be a bit more aggressive. He wanted strike the butler with an overwhelming divine revelation, leaving Rade's divinity and the need to devote himself to the leonin as an unassailable truth. While he was at it, he decided to try and use that and the symbiotes influence to try and make the butler more worthy in Rade's eyes. Honorable wasn't exactly the right word for what he was looking for, Rade wasn't above fighting dirty, but he valued competence and a realistic appraisal of ones own abilities and worth. At the very least, the forced turning over of a new leaf might better position him to win friends and potentially in future converts among the rest of the staff. The symbiotes normal effects should boost his intelligence, so it should hopefully give him a bit more guile and better position him to act as Rade's agent in this house.

Once the symbiote was ready, Rade placed it in the butler's ear.

Making a symbiote for the butler. Aim to impose a conversion to worship Rade on him, and if possible make him a bit less of an rear end in the process. Other standard symbiote stuff would apply, so as it integrates and replaces his neural tissue it should hopefully boost his intelligence, memory, reflexes, etc.

Fleshsmith[+4]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Rehlor smiles as he rises, the stool of whirling gusts dissipating behind him. Powerful elders and eccentricities. That, at least, was familiar.

He sends a thought to the surrounding plant life, “I thank you for your assistance. I offer you strength in return.”

Rehlor pushes out with his new power over flora, trying to make the plants of the area more hardy. He doesn't understand this power yet, but he knows he is capable. At first, he tries sending the odd power through his meridians, much like many of his techniques and spells. This fails utterly, the power seeming to rest in his mind, immobile as a mountain. He tries again, performing a kata invoking the element of wood. His movements are akin to a trained dancer, flowing gracefully as his hair and robe paint streams of blue in the air. Again, nothing happens.

He stops and considers for a time. He turns over stones in his mind, breaking down what he knows of the power. It came from the Tower, of that he was certain. He had felt it since his rebirth. He had used it, speaking to the snow covered greenery with just a thought. Perhaps he was over-complicating the matter?

He forgoes reaching inward, manipulating chi, and practiced movement, and tries again. He simply wills it into the world, pushing his power into the half-slumbering greenery. He feels the power flow through him, radiating into the small clearing.

Using Green Thumb +2 to make the plants around him more hardy and fertile.