Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

"I would carry the world for you if I could... but alas... I cannot."

Bioware's Baldur's Gate series of RPGs are some of the most beloved games in their genre. From the first game's release in 1998 to its vastly superior sequel's expansion in 2001 they quickly became favorites of CRPG fans around the globe. Its popularity re-surged after Beamdog released the Enhanced Editions in 2012 and 2013 respectively as well as Siege of Dragonspear, a new expansion to the original game that was released in 2016.

The games are also known for having a surprisingly large modding community and this Let's Play will focus on these mods most of all, or rather one mod in particular: Sandrah Saga. As a result this Let's Play will not focus too much on Baldur's Gate's original content aside from the main story beats. Players unfamiliar with Baldur's Gate will probably be better off reading a 'vanilla' LP in addition to this one if they want to follow along.

This LP will also be focusing more on dialogue/story instead of regular gameplay, in part because despite playing the games since their release I'm still a piss-poor player but also because that'd make the LP too drat long. Mod-specific areas as well as interesting new game mechanics (if any) will obviously receive a bit more attention in this regard. Please try to contain your inevitable frustration at my horrific way of playing. Constructive criticism however is of course more than welcome.

By this point you're probably asking yourself what the Sandrah Saga is all about. Allow me to answer that question at least somewhat:

quote:

"With the EET possibility to play the Baldur’s Gate once again as one continuous game, the Sandrah Saga tries to create a character with her very own storyline spanning the complete saga (and more) who can accompany the player throughout the game. Her story is connected in many ways to the Bhaalspawn’s own quests.

Sandrah is a young priestess of Mystra (fighter/cleric) from Waterdeep, the daughter of a famous character of the Realms, who steps out of her father’s mighty shadow to make herself an own name and also to discover the hidden part of her family history. This plot runs along the PC’s own discovery of who he/she is. Sandrah is a specialized healer, on the battlefield but also for those companions that suffer in heart and soul."

You might be thinking that this sounds like a slightly-larger-than-usual NPC mod but you'd be sorely mistaken. This mod is one of the more ambitious BG 'megamod' projects. It includes entire new areas, over a hundred new quests(!) and aims to rival the main character's story in scope. Sandrah is infamous for being an enormous Mary Sue whose story quickly eclipses anything else going on in the game right up until the end. The mod even includes content set after the end of Throne of Bhaal. Few megamods rival it in the amount of content it adds, in this Let's Play we'll see if said content is actually worthwhile.

The mod is rather infamous for its large amount of crossmod content, with dozens of mods having Sandrah-specific content added to them often without the permission of their respective modders. Some of these mods seem to be essential to Sandrah's story which is why I've decided to install pretty much all of them so that we can enjoy this trainwreck the way it was intended. The mod list can be found in the readme of the mod which you can find in the link above.

This will be a (mostly) blind playthrough. Some aspects of this LP are set in stone, I am planning on bringing certain NPCs with me and my attitude towards Sandrah will be as friendly as possible since the mod seems to be geared towards that attitude. Suggestions on pretty much everything else are not only welcome but in fact encouraged, especially if some of you have already played this mod before. These people are encouraged to use spoiler tags when discussing content that I haven't reached yet, however.

Table of Contents:

Baldur's Gate:

Chapter I - Buzzurk! Gorschabarmarzabuldarvel!
Chapter II - *sadly* Me too.
Chapter III - Scarry. Like bloodhounds.
Chapter IV - From your words the other day I have deducted that you have known my mother still alive.
Chapter V - These are trouble times indeed.
Chapter VI - Wow, little duckling, you are a magnificent swan tonight.
Chapter VII - You full hate, elfling?
Chapter VIII - Oh bloody me, where's ma brain.
Chapter IX - She has no steady boyfriend at the moment.
Chapter X - I'm Imoen, the counsellor Of Love.
Chapter XI - What a tease...what a fruit to be plucked...aah...
Chapter XII - It is Sandrah I kiss, not Elminster's daughter.
Chapter XIII - I can almost smell all the men you have experienced...
Chapter XIV - Healer of souls.
Chapter XV - Water caress scales like lover should.
Chapter XVI - Boo likes that.
Chapter XVII - Thou are nay the one!
Chapter XVIII - The Sword Coast these days is crowded with morons. I'm embarrassed.
Chapter XIX - Don't move, you abortion!
Chapter XX - Children...hoho...
Chapter XXI - kissa me quickly.
Chapter XXII - you are the mostest stupish idiot stumblin' through the Realms.
Chapter XXIII - Quickest keep talkin', little man!
Chapter XXIV - Was well to choose commander for lust.
Chapter XXV - I knew this road to wealth would get me the best of chicks in the end.
Chapter XXVI - Jen'lig and commander not do for breeding.
Chapter XXVII - Do not become hopeless just now, my poor besta friend.
Chapter XXVIII - Good chance for elfling to be used as toy by strong girl.
Chapter XXIX - The chance to get a few minutes of rest from that hungry beast that drained me tonight.
Chapter XXX - 'twas all blood and blurry, n' I guess I killed some orcs with empty hands, huh?
Chapter XXXI - Hey say that slowly again? Orphn rear end?
Chapter XXXII - I can still hear their lovesick moaning at the moon from your last visit, hahaha.
Chapter XXXIII - A nocturnal lullaby of longing and sweet satisfaction.
Chapter XXXIV- Pink is the bestest of all colours, I say it all the time.
Chapter XXXV - Now the Black Archer is satisfied by Tazok's dead, he has no need for his tool any more.
Chapter XXXVI - Beware of the traitors... *snooze*
Chapter XXXVII - Mystra be praised, she does not require her priestesses to be chaste!
Chapter XXXVIII - Demon hunting is the funnest of funs.
Chapter XXXIX - Oh, yes, she's a perfect whore thanks to you.
Chapter XL- Nether lips.
Chapter XLI - Tututu, sleep, my little girl, sleep, tututu.
Chapter XLII - Oh, how lucky I am to be loved by such two wonderful pussycats at once.
Chapter XLIII - Ya mem'ry's as sharp as mine.
Chapter XLIV - Sweet little deceiver.
Chapter XLV - Can you admire a moonblade wielder running around in the colours of a circus geek?
Chapter XLVI- Hello, my not-so-little-girl-any-more, would you recognize your old growler, as you liked to call me?
Chapter XLVII - This is quite a compliment from a lady of the world like you.
Chapter XLVIII- You do not need to bleed from your wounds if you want my company after a fight.
Chapter XLIX - Then onward, let us see the final chapter, the *EPILOGUE* of this *BOOK*.
Chapter L - Together we can channel the powers of the godly seed inside of you into the direction that Gorion had wanted for you.
Chapter LI - I will make sure this damned god will not get a drop of water in my desert garden. May his seed be eaten by the ants and the snails. Bhaal begone!
Chapter LII - Commander and Sandrah in union are strong for any future.
Chapter LIII - She always has *helpful* advice, but ask yourself who has the most profit from your heeding it.
Chapter LIV - Jen'lig learn to trust Sandrah, no longer will hide from her.
Addendum I - Mystra's Army
Chapter LV - If I can stand it you should as well, be no baby.
Chapter LVI - ..mmh...that wonderful middle toe graced by the silver engraved ring that I dreamed of kissing...
Chapter LVII- A bad choice, my sssweet sssoon to be lovessslave.
Chapter LVIII - The lovelelelely Sandrah...
Chapter LIX - I would be interested in that wine - and especially the dessert thereafter - right here and now.
Chapter LX - If you are going to try to kill us then go right ahead, but give us some credit for intelligence!
Chapter LXI - Sandrah of Waterdeep, priestess of haha Mystra.
Chapter LXII - Make yourself comfortable over here, you deserve some special care from me today.
Chapter LXIII - Dwarfling only half size of manling but stink like mountain of manure used to cultivate our hydroponic gardens in the depths of a city's mass.
Chapter LXIV - Not for use by unclean. Jen'lig only clean to use.
Chapter LXV - DRIZZT DO'URDEN AND ELMINSTER'S BABY GIRL IN ONE CATCH - CELEBRATION TIME AGAIN!!!
Chapter LXVI - Everrithing is wrrong with you and false. You have the stink of the city's backwater deep in yourr expensive dresses and made up hairdo.
Chapter LXVII - Cherchez la femme *A*.
Chapter LXVIII - (Smile) I am learning daily - from the best, from you.
Chapter LXIX - And then - please understand me right, I am not talking out of vanity - I felt so disappointed that she never had the pleasure to get to know - me.
Chapter LXX - Oh, my bestest puffing daddy, let me kiss and kiss ya quickest.
Chapter LXXI - you are a bit too sweaty for my taste at the moment.
Chapter LXXII - Are you prepared for a hard fight, loverboy? There will be one in our bedroll tonight if you have the stamina not to run away from me.
Chapter LXXIII - (Hiss) Try to become weak manling god must end like this. Commander wise not to choose such path, Vichan made to destroy gods rather than become useless one.
Addendum II - Murderer! You will pay for this!
Addendum III - MEN!

Siege of Dragonspear:

Chapter LXXIV - Sandrah - my friend - live long and prosperous.
Chapter LXXV - Poisoned weapons as far as I can say.
Chapter LXXVI - We will keep all these sweet moments we had with her in our common memory.
Chapter LXXVII - Congratulations, dumb fools!! Round one clearly goes to you.
Chapter LXXVIII - You have this worried look after a sleep, Vichan, your healer knows it to well.
Chapter LXXIX - Just like the mighty bhaalspawn from Baldur's Gate is not alone, this is true for the Shining Lady as well.
Chapter LXXX - HeeheeheehahaHAHAHAHAAAaaa...
Chapter LXXXI - After all, it is just another bridge we cross.
Chapter LXXXII- That would be a task for my experienced healer, Sandrah of Waterdeep.
Chapter LXXXIII - It hurts just a bit, but I know it will soon be good when my Sandrah starts her healing on me.
Chapter LXXXIV - You have given me a lot of hope with your knowledge.
Chapter LXXXV - Wow, what a day!
Chapter LXXXVI - I have been a bad counsellor, just once again. I should have seen it earlier.
Chapter LXXXVII - My besta friend imoen - there are still friends you can always count on.

Shadows of Amn:

Chapter LXXXVIII - This monster man will pay for all, besta friend Sandrah, he'll feel your hammer and my fireball, I swear and swear it.
Chapter LXXXIX - Not a single love slave to adore and pleasure that that magnificent body?
Chapter XC - One more word of insult to Mystra and the damage you receive will be more than YOUR skills will be able to heal, HELMIT!
Chapter XCI - There are worse heritages, my snowcap.
Chapter XCII - That was my human part, I guess. Orcs don't cry.
Chapter XCIII - I am ork!!! If I were not, what would I be then?
Chapter XCIV - Probably not, but I get a bit cutty with my slow ward to get things moving ahead to the obvious.
Chapter XCV - Not all orc's butts are for buttkickin', it seems.
Chapter XCVI - Words of utmost delight from the lips of a girl who can only be a dream, too wonderful to be real- both the words and the girl.
Chapter XVII - My thighs await the fearless wanderers.
Chapter XCVIII - Your poor bard will starve now, my morning dove. How can these lips touch any food now that removes the sweet taste you gave to them.
Chapter XCIX - The two of you in couple on my leash - that is my vision of paradise. Just a tug left or right and the one there will crawl up to me to pleasure my flesh, aaah...
Chapter C - Sandrah!! The girl who always let me lose every thought I had for every word I might have wanted to tell her.
Chapter CI- Priestess, you impress me once again. So many things connect and make sense when you explain them. You could well be a teacher in Oghma's name.
Chapter CII - As gladiators you will be worth a fortune...and those pretty girls will grace any lust chamber and make their owners rich.
Chapter CIII - It had to be done and it had to be done by me.
Chapter CIV - The problem with doing completely stupid things is that yourself are the last person to recognise it, am I right?
Chapter CV - But which mother would cast an eye on her daughter's loved one herself...What a mess life is...
Chapter CVI - Fair and interesting maidens are not only to be found in my home. With the open eyes of a druid beauty can be found anywhere.
Chapter CVII - Hey, loverboy, I have two of that outlets.
Chapter CVIII - (That should get her!! She cannot await to enlarge her knowledge...sometimes I'm afraid her beautiful head might explode from all the useless stuff it gathers...)
Chapter CIX - BIG WORDS FOR A MORTAL WHO DARES TO COME DOWN HERE FOR THIS CRAZY INVENTION CALLED LOVE SPIT LOVE!!
Chapter CX - Oh, my, this reminds me of Noober or Roober. Say, your name is by chance *Floober*?
Chapter CXI - A good idea. (Oh, a full appreciation of that girl fighting without the need to participate with my spells. What a delight.)
Chapter CXII - You have made the expected progress from the fledgling young priestess under your mighty father's wing to a powerful cleric, Sandrah.
Chapter CXIII - In her own words she calls me her *besta friend* and I have no reason to object to that description.
Chapter CXIV - Gee, I knew and knew and knew always all the time you would be there for me if all else failed, Sandrah. Yes and yes, please send me to Henning!
Chapter CXV - Ha, between the sheets I will still lead.
Chapter CXVI - Oooh,...Mistress, you have to blame yourself for your unruly slave. With a treatment like this to endure you invite him to fail as often as possible.
Chapter CXVII - Your anger only enhances your beauty - and stirs up my lust.
Chapter CXVIII - I just wanted to kiss you but that mouth is full of ugly thorns. You have nice wings but I cannot get accustomed to that face.
Chapter CXIX - I declare you genius!! Once again you have proven it - or once again you blindly hit the right spot.
Chapter CXX - (smiles) Maybe that explains your knack for drow companions and some of your skills in the bedchamber.
Chapter CXXI - (Smiles) You do not give us much time to rest a bit after all we have been through. (Sigh) The boss man calls and the bed waits empty...
Chapter CXXII - It was this very air I was breathing when I had my first glance of you on that mournful day long ago..
Chapter CXXIII - Here is a first taste of your reward, great hero.
Chapter CXXIV - Her first attack was to you? She knows my heart's feelings better than anyone.
Chapter CXXV - Truth often comes from the mouth of children or fools. May his prophesies be just tales to frighten children, one thing stays true. Only a Bhaalspawn will prevent the return of...YOU.

Throne of Bhaal:

Chapter CXXVI - You begin to get as mysterious as those stone heads - only your face is much lovelier.
Chapter CXXVII - Some good willing Tamoko cannot be compared to a woman like you.
Chapter CXXVIII - No one has ever called me *my friend* the way you just did...
Chapter CXXIX - You are not afraid of me, you never was.
Chapter CXXX - Priestess, I like to ask you about your cat.
Chapter CXXXI - Are we nothing but pawns in a game here, Lord of the Chaos?
Chapter CXXXII - I will not lose mine daughters and the hope of the Realms to Bhaal!!
Chapter CXXXIII - Who could be a better symbol for Love and Hope than one who is condemned as *Evil* by those who consider themselves superior and *Good*!!
Addendum IV - Can't a descent dwarf enjoy his beer in peace without a foolish human immediately pulling him into hell?
Chapter CXXXIV - Weeen.
Chapter CXXXV - What will happen to the part of the essence that is within me but which I use in the name of Eilistraeee and Mystra and have no intention to apply in an evil way ever.

Return to Faerun:

Chapter CXXXVI - I can hardly await to roam the realms once again and meet old friends.
Chapter CXXXVII - Psst, I am here incognito, little nun.
Chapter CXXXVIII - Oh, bestest of all bestest mamas... I will make you proud of me.
Chapter CXXXIX- So they kicked the fledgling god of love spit Love and and vain Hope out already. Well, that was to be expected without an adequate advisor by your side.
Chapter CXL - I's got this wonderful fur coat...in case nobody noticed it yet, it's the PINK that makes it so special. I'm warm, haha.
Chapter CXLI - You have cleaned the groove again?
Chapter CXLII - Boy, are ya the wrong thin' in the wrong place at the wrong time!
Chapter CXLIII - Uuh, I always been thinkin' the rain on our ol' Sword Coast wasss bad, but not asss wet asss that guy's word gush.
Chapter CXLIV - Vichan's portfolio is of Love and Hope, your taint is cleaned forever.
Chapter CXLV - Watcha think, cleverest Sandrah, can we put dem red robes out in the sun to bleach 'em to pink?
Chapter CXLVI - You own us now, mistress, and even as we are slaves now we may still call ourselves lucky today.
Chapter CXLVII - Who's more surprised, thee or me?
Chapter CXLVIII - Ohnonothimagain!
Chapter CXLIX - Mmh - you know how to convince me, you teasing sparrow.
Chapter CL - Chastity is not on our agenda but we are no temple whores or such.
Chapter CLI - After the black beauty now comes the white beauty and has overcome my defences.
Chapter CLII - Where there is love and hope, darkness has already lost the fight.
Chapter CLIII - I cannot wait to smash those who have deprived me of my true love.
Chapter CLIV - Ha, you will have a new definition what PAIN is when I'm through with you this evening, (Hiss!)
Chapter CLV - I surely have deserved a glass of Thayan wine or two accompanied by some equally sweet kisses from my wife (Oh, those drow skills..mmh).
Chapter CLVI - Dream on, fool.
Chapter CLVII - YOU, miserable descendent of that meddling harper - ALL OF THIS IS YOUR WORK!!

Time of Troubles Revisited:

Chapter CLVIII - Forget my moods, Kelemvor, we know how you can improve them, oh, yes, I know you can!
Chapter VLIX - I know some women like that, the sweat, strength, power of the bull, the lion, yeah, the panther.
Chapter CLX - These words are without value.
Chapter CLXI - Even suffering and enduring requires the perspective of relief.
Chapter CLXII - There must be anti-climax before there can be catharsis.
Chapter CLXIII - Your last rape was the one you should better have left undone.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Fan Art:

Victims of The Beast as of chapter 114, by System Metternich

GIF by By popular demand

By Midnight Voyager

By Vilkacis

By Ramc

Sandrah Devouring Her Prey by Caros and Midnight Voyager

By Explopyro

By Comrade Koba

Vichan fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 5, 2022

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter I - Buzzurk! Gorschabarmarzabuldarvel!

quote:

Nestled atop the cliffs that rise from the Sword Coast, the citadel of Candlekeep houses the finest and most comprehensive collection of writings on the face of Faerûn. It is an imposing fortress, kept in strict isolation from the intrigues that occasionally plague the rest of the Forgotten Realms. It is secluded, highly regimented, and it is home.

Within these hallowed halls of knowledge, your story begins. You have spent most of your twenty years of life within this keep's austere walls, under the tutelage of the sage Gorion. Acting as your father, he has raised you on a thousand tales of heroes and monsters, lovers and infidels, battles and tragedies. However, one story was always left untold: that of your true heritage. You have been told that you are an orphan, but your past is largely unknown.

Lately, Gorion has been growing distant from you, as if some grave matter weighs heavily on his heart. You have asked about his concerns as gently as possible, but your queries have been in vain. Your sole comfort is the knowledge that he is a wise man, and you know he will tell you when the time is right. Nonetheless, his silence is troubling, and you cannot help but feel that something is terribly wrong...

Today, Gorion has appeared more agitated than ever, and now he has uncharacteristically interrupted your chores in the middle of the day. Imparting hurried instructions for you to equip yourself for travel, he has handed you what gold he can spare, but given no clue as to why. Nevertheless, you now stand before the Candlekeep Inn, ready to purchase what you need for an unplanned and unexpected journey.

We begin our tale in front of Winthrop's inn in Candlekeep. Let me introduce our main character for the next few minutes:

Young Vichan (or CHARNAME if you prefer) is eager to make his mark on the outside world with his extraordinary acrobatic skills, impressive swordfighting abilities and dazzling charm and good looks. Nobody is going to upstage this budding protagonist, let me tell you!

From my experience most mods don't really add all that much to Candlekeep so let's just enter the inn to get some gear so we ca-

...Oh. It seems we've already stumbled on our first NPC mod right out of the gate. While the dwarf runs off to sulk in the corner we approach Winthrop, the jovial innkeeper.

A mysterious gift, eh? Let's see what it is!

Interesting...

...Though a bit too light on the information part. The unofficial guide mentions that the sword “has limited enchantments and is usable by any class.“ It'll probably be a while before we're able to identify the thing so let's just equip it and see what we're working with here.

:eyepop:

drat, those 'limited enhancements' are quite something. A -1 AC bonus, a -3 for Thac0 and 1d10 + 2 damage? Not bad considering we haven't even left Candlekeep yet. It also protects us from fire, I guess the flames on the sword cancel out other fires.

Looks pretty snazzy as well. I can't wait to meet this 'Sanna' so I can thank her in person!

First we've got to deal with the elephant in the room, though. Said elephant being the eccentric dwarf still hanging around the inn.

(In screenshots I will be highlighting my chosen dialogue options)

And with that we get our first quest.

Breagar doesn't seem to appreciate our helpfulness.

While all this is going on a noblewoman is wandering around the inn, let's see what she has to say for herself.

Making a mental note to visit the infirmary I decide to circle around to do the usual Candlekeep quests, most of which seems to be unchanged from the original. I do run in to the errand boy, however.

Rather stereotypical, don't you think?

Ah, clearing rats out of the cellar. The way all great adventures start!

Funny, I don't remember him being here. Let's oblige him.

He's as much of a pushover as the other Candlekeep assassins. The studded leather armor on his corpse is appreciated though. I wonder which mod he's connected to?

Boy, is he going to be in for a surprise when he checks the basement! :imunfunny:

Inside the infirmary we meet Sir Trun, Linda's husband-to-be.

Shortly after leaving the infirmary Linda approaches us.

What a nice moment. :allears: We also get a reputation point for playing psychiatrist.

We finish off the miscellaneous quests before heading through the gardens back to the inn. On our way Imoen greets us. Try to guess where the original dialogue ends and the mod dialogue begins.

Hard to tell, right?

Sandrah mod allows you to pick Imoen's class here. Thief, mage or mage/thief. We'll go with the middle option because

1. I'm already playing as a swashbuckler.
2. We're probably going to go through NPCs like nobody's business and having a steady mage on hand makes sense.
3. Mage Imoen apparently has extra content with Sandrah. I also don't want to diminish Sandrah's effort in teaching Imoen magic.

Anyway, onward to th-

:swoon:

Could this be this Sanna girl I've heard so much about? Before I can thank her for her gift she storms off and Gorion doesn't seem to have anything to say about what just happened. Oh well.

In the gardens we meet Finch.

(A lot of dialogue options here, I'll be sure to get better screenshots of them in future)

I love Finch. One of the better NPC mods for Baldur's Gate 1. She's supposed to have crossmod content with Sandrah so we'll definitely be seeing her again.

Now all that's left is to deliver the book!

We'll definitely look him up should we ever pass by Beregost.

After completing this quest I gained a level, I don't think I've ever had this happen to me this quickly before. All these mods are really paying off!

Enough long-winded silliness though, it's finally time to leave this boring place.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 7, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm excited to see how wild this trainwreck gets!

I was a member of the Baldur's Gate modding community, and a staff member on one of the largest modding sites, for years. Besides all the modding drama and horror stories I witnessed, I even made two mod NPCs who may turn up in this LP (without my permission for Sandrah's modder to do crossmod with them, for the record), one of whom I'm still rather proud of, and one not so much.

This Sandrah Saga, though, happened after I parted ways with that community so this is going to be all-new to me. I'm familiar with the likes of Chloe, Saerileth, and the Imoen Romance, so I'm quite interested to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes on this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear. Good thing they let you know right away that she is beautiful. Judging by the average fan romance, this is going to be... a thing. Definitely interested in seeing the trainwreck develop.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oh my god..it's even more atrocious than some of the screens you posted in the other thread. Can't wait to see this progress.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Getting in on the ground floor! :neckbeard:

I'm looking forward to this glorious trainwreck. May you manage to maintain at least a tenuous grip on your sanity.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh.

Oh dear.

:munch:

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Ground floor of an amazing thread. I got into CRPGs somewhat after Baldur's Gate was a thing, so it'll be interesting to see what the ~community~ made of it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Something is bothering me about nuImoen I can't quite articulate - mostly the portrait.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Here we go, this is going to be a wonderful trip.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

:suspense:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

So is the mod setting up Sandrah to be the understudy of a god but a cooler and more badass one than you-know or some lore legend like Elminster? Could see that overheard conversation being indicative of either.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

I've never heard of the Sandrah Saga before this thread (though admittedly I've never really poked my nose into mod NPCs) so I'm very, uh, curious.

I think my first question is: Why? Like, this is easily one of the most ambitious and comprehensive efforts I've ever seen for an NPC mod. How did that wind up paired with an NPC concept so... ill-conceived?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This looks like a loving trainwreck.

Tell me about the Finch mod though, is it a similar epic spanning mod, or is it limited to bg1?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ground floor, first page, etc. I'm hyped to see Sandrah in all her terribad glory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JohnKilltrane posted:

I think my first question is: Why? Like, this is easily one of the most ambitious and comprehensive efforts I've ever seen for an NPC mod. How did that wind up paired with an NPC concept so... ill-conceived?

I can't speak to Sandrah specifically, she was made after I parted ways with the Baldur's Gate modding community, but making mods for the Infinity Engine is a huge amount of work. It's not exactly a mod-friendly engine. You don't make a mod for these games without being very passionate about what you're doing and, well, what one person is passionate about can seem rather off to others. It's like any artistic community, really.

If I had to guess, Sandrah's modder really, truly loves her and wants to share their artistic vision with the world.

And sad to say, but it was my experience with the community that many of the most technically brilliant and talented modders were also the most broken human beings. :v:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

MagusofStars posted:

So is the mod setting up Sandrah to be the understudy of a god but a cooler and more badass one than you-know or some lore legend like Elminster? Could see that overheard conversation being indicative of either.

Judging by the things posted in the IE thread it's possible that you will figure out what her deal is from the mod's deft and subtle hints. It's worse than you think, and far as I can tell the mod will beat you about the face with her absurd Mary Sue backstory at every opportunity.

Are the portrait changes to Imoen and Finch part of the Sandrah mod?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

tithin posted:

This looks like a loving trainwreck.

Tell me about the Finch mod though, is it a similar epic spanning mod, or is it limited to bg1?

quote:

This mod includes:

One neutral good, gnome cleric of Deneir
One NPC-related quest
One new soundset of dubious entertainment value
2-4 banters with each of the Bioware NPCs
Dozens and dozens of interjections
Banter with Indira and Mur'Neth custom NPCs, if installed
Some PC-init talks

BG1 NPC mods were few and far between in the early days, especially compared to its sequel. Finch stood out to me as one of the few that was actually worthwhile, though my knowledge of BG1 NPC mods is somewhat limited. She does not have content for BG2. From looking at the unofficial guide she has quite a bit of content with Sandrah, including a quest.

Xerophyte posted:

Judging by the things posted in the IE thread it's possible that you will figure out what her deal is from the mod's deft and subtle hints. It's worse than you think, and far as I can tell the mod will beat you about the face with her absurd Mary Sue backstory at every opportunity.

Are the portrait changes to Imoen and Finch part of the Sandrah mod?

I have no idea, the only portrait mod I knowingly installed was an alternate portrait for Sandrah since I didn't really care for the original:

It just doesn't capture how truly amazing she is, you know?

Cythereal posted:

If I had to guess, Sandrah's modder really, truly loves her and wants to share their artistic vision with the world.

We're probably going to say some nasty things about her project further along the road but I want to go on the record that I truly admire the tremendous amount of work she put in to make this mod. It does make it all the more baffling that her VO work is one of the laziest I've ever encountered, though not for the reason you might think. More on that later on.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 19, 2021

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm hyped as hell for this trainwreck.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was Sandrah around for the OG games, or is this an enhanced edition only thing

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you're going to use a modern name instead of a fantasy one, why not just go with Sandra instead of adding an extra h?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

If you're going to use a modern name instead of a fantasy one, why not just go with Sandra instead of adding an extra h?

Part of her backstory is inheriting Jon Irenicus’ missing H.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Here we go. I'm excited for this.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
what the hell is that imoen portrait

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Seyser Koze posted:

what the hell is that imoen portrait

I hear Britney Spears did the voice work.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was Sandrah around for the OG games, or is this an enhanced edition only thing

I think it's been around for about 8 years or so? Which is to say OG games.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Getting in on the ground floor of this trainwreck.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I've been avoiding Sandrah Saga and its developer for a variety or reasons for a while but I guess i'll just keep an eye on what its actually like here.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My eyes glaze over as an instinctual defensive reaction to the concept, but I'm bloody well still going to try and watch this glorious trainwreck to its conclusion

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Oh boy, hitting the ground running with my "favorite" BG Dialogue Mod sin: character assassinating poor Imoen. I swear, there does not seem to be a single mod author who knows how to write Imoen in a non-terrible manner and it's frustrating as hell.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
An LP of my favourite game ever, with an obnoxious Mary Sue NPC megamod? This sounds amazing, really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Private Speech posted:

I think it's been around for about 8 years or so? Which is to say OG games.

Nah, the EE games came out almost ten years ago. I was very active in the Baldur's Gate modding community until that time, and Sandrah came after I parted ways. However...

I do recognize this portrait. Either Sandrah's modder used an existing portrait that was around (plausible), or they'd just started work on Sandrah at that time.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I do recognize this portrait. Either Sandrah's modder used an existing portrait that was around (plausible), or they'd just started work on Sandrah at that time.

I thought the exact same thing, it might be a NWN portrait.

EDIT:

I knew it.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 19, 2021

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ah, the terrible mod shoe is on the other foot now!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Part II - *sadly* Me too.

Our escape from Candlekeep seems to have hit a snag.

Oh dear...

Crap.

10 year old me got teary-eyed at this bit.

*record scratch* Yep, that's me. You're probably asking yourself how I g-

God drat it, Imoen! Quit stealing my thunder! :argh:

Because Imoen was added to the game in the 11th hour of development this is the last time she speaks during the vanilla experience, at least in BG1. But because we're punishing ourselves with mods she'll have a *lot* more to say. Most of this content will be from both the Sandrah mod and the BG1NPC project which adds BG2-style banters and even romances with some characters. The BG1NPC additions range from okay to obnoxious, going by her Sandrah-related dialogue in the previous chapter I'm beginning to fear that her Sandrah mod content is much, much worse.

What I'm saying is that it's all downhill from here, folks. Strap in.

You've probably already noticed but Imoen is sporting a new portrait. It's a bit too grainy but I actually quite like it. I've always had the sneaking suspicion that Imoen's vanilla BG1 portrait was supposed to be the default female CHARNAME portrait. Since her lore skill is higher than mine I let her identify my mysterious gift for me.

Anyway, time to go back to the scene of the ambush to see if there's anything we can do for Gorion, when we arrive however...

SANNA! :swoon:

Sandrah's not only extraordinarily beautiful as well but also pretty loaded.

Before I could even enter the menu Imoen interjects.

A Xvart village? As if such a thing actually exists! Silly Imoen...

Speaking of Gorion, let's strip his remains and have a eulogy.

Gorion's corpse actually disappears after this. A nice touch. Gorion had a dagger on him, when we examine it further:

Interesting, I wonder who this 'A' person is. Better keep it close.

Anyway, let's examine Sandrah more closely. Biography first:

What the hell, Roxanne, you aren't going to go with the 'When asked about her past' format? :(

Anyway, the identity of Sandrah's father is something of a mystery. Each time you pick up a clue you gain a 'sanpoint' and if you get enough you can finally ask her about it and learn the truth once and for all. The game will drop some subtle hints as to her father's identity, see if you can spot them all!

On to stats:

Yes, you read that right. Sandrah has a whopping 60 lore which means she can easily identify early BG2 items. She also has a book in her inventory that can sometimes boost her lore skill up to 120.

Speaking of her inventory:

That's quite a bit of unique items. Let's take a closer look:

Oh, our first clue! I almost missed it.

Time to exit the inventory and go check on Gori-

poo poo, to arms!

I spit my cashews all over my keyboard the first time this happened to me. Having a wolf companion show up was the last thing I expected. I'm still at a loss for words.

We also get this whistle:

Before setting off on our adventure proper I wanted to circle back to Candlekeep to see if anything's changed, before I could talk to the gatekeeper, however...

Wait, what just happened?

What the hell....? Let's rewind a bit.

Before you ask: She pulls the exact same poo poo if you're rude to her at the end there.

Let's see if the keeper of the portal will let us in.

Hey! No fair! :(

Say what you want about Imoen, at least she's loyal! :)

Well, it seems like there's nothing left to do but press onward!

There's a new world map, by the way. From the dales to Calimshan and from Waterdeep to Thay. It's *huge* and would take dozens of screenshots to show in its entirety.

We barely take one step before

...Could we be so lucky?

Not two minutes later we run into Kollsed, a merchant on the road.

It really can't be overstated how much Imoen babbles.

Xzar and Montaron are met shortly afterwards.

Heeding the sage advice of my companions I tell them to hit the curb, I do accept their potion however.

Almost done with this map, let's take the diamond that's hidden in a nearby tree and get the h-

Oh, for heaven's sa-

...We're never going to get through it all, are we?

Vichan fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 7, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

A bit disappointed at my lack of progress here but I wanted you all to suffer along with me for this one. The next post should take us all the way to the Friendly Arm Inn.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't think any of the writers involved with these mods would know subtlety if it hit them with a brick.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I cannot stress enough how much modders love Imoen. At the time I left the modding community there were three separate mod NPCs who romance her, a mod for the PC to romance Imoen, and I'm sure there's more now.

That 'Sandra's hammer can assimilate abilities from slain enemies' seems interesting to me. In a 'oh God how broken is this going to get?" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm sorry, I can't get past the description of Sandrah's armour. That just sets the tone for this entire shitshow and I can't stop laughing.

Also the hilarious tone whiplash of 'you have a pet wolf! Except gently caress you it likes Sandrah better despite you having raised it for four years and she literally only just appearing'.