Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Strategic Sage posted:

It seems to me that people did all kinds of strange things. There's the whole painting yourself in various patterns of colors - we still do that, *cough* Super Bowl *cough* modern futbol match *cough*. Screaming and going into battle naked ... I sometimes get the impression that in some cultures it was basically 'what's the most freakazoid bizarro thing they wouldn't expect? Ok, let's all do that'.

The going to battle naked makes sense to me - "I'm such a loving beast, I don't need armour because I'm ready to die, me ; but really you pansies won't ever lay one strike on me !". Hell of a way to put your money where your mouth is. The piss thing, not so much ^^;.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The really important thing about screaming and going into battle naked is that it mostly doesn't happen, and is a myth used by the other guys to describe you as a bunch of barbaric murderers.

When it does happen there's a series of elements such as: going without armor doesn't mean going entirely without armor it means you left some at the camp because it's loving hot as hell right now, see Gaul mercenaries for Carthage (Gaul invented mail armor which was pretty popular for like 15 to 20 centuries after that) and Crusaders in the Middle-East (Oh god I'm melting, I'll remove some because both me and my horse are cooking alive right now) or also West African cultures (it's too loving hot for that, a helmet, a textile cuirass and a shield that's often more of a parrying stick will do, because you gotta march for hours and then fight while wearing that and holding a spear) or also you're a poor (financially), well, poor, such as a Greek gymnetes, you're light infantry, you have clothes, a wicker and leather shield, a thing to cover your head with and poo poo to lob at the other guys, congratulations, be sure to run behind your heavy infantry when you're done, fear enemy cavalry like nothing else.

Or there's the case where the armor isn't worth poo poo and your other options are limited, you're for example a Zulu, well, I'm sure someone is dreaming up some magical ritual, like the heavenly kingdom fighters sometimes did, but mostly you're gonna be half naked, because the weather doesn't bother you and clothes just make the bullets dirtier, you might also be some fully -clothed poor sod in many occasions such as early WW1, and some not so early WW1.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Hmmm. That differs somewhat from what I've read. All ancient historians should be read with a grain or even a handful of salt to be sure, but Polybius for example is generally considered one of the more reliable ones from what I know, and he wrote of it being commonplace in some groups. There's always a degree of 'what can we really trust' and all of that, but I wouldn't be comfortable saying it's mostly myth. That seems to be going too far IMO.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Personally I'm going to doubt it outside of ritualized behaviour, and even the most credible sources of the times could be vulnerable to, well, being secondary sources. In short, I don't know, but from looking at other people across the rest of time and how they behaved, I'm gonna doubt it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
Memphis Stands United (21:47)

We get the Temple to Ptah built, handle some more local tribes, and with that the early game is wrapped up and we have access to the world map (or map of Egypt, but it really covers more than that). I'll now have more complex decisions to make, as we have full control of the Memphis area but there are many more choices of what to do with our labor ... and even at above three thousand population now, we're going to need a *lot* more of it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Expanding Horizons (24:30)

Moving into the Egypt/World map, we first need a larger labor force and a lot of reorganization in Memphis. It's been a quiet period here in terms of events beyond our control, but another notable historical figure will make their presence felt soon.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

We have air conditioning and thus forget how much in general it SUCKS to be in heat for THE ENTIRE DAY.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Definitely. On the other side of that, I remember being impacted by Lewis & Clark's descriptions of how the tribes they encountered would sleep on hunting trips on the northern plains, temperatures well below zero, with sparse coverings at most. If you were particularly vulnerable to the elements for health or genetic reasons, well, you weren't long for this world.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've been a big fan of this series since the Marble Age. I recently re-installed it and the Pre-Dynastic Egypt and replayed them again. They've always been curiously addicting and I sunk dozens of hours into PDE. I bought this game early upon release and quit about halfway through a play through because of some very frustrating bugs that were screwing me over every few turns.

I'll start watching this LP after work and see if it can tempt me to try again.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Cool, I hope that works out for you. I haven't run into the bugs I've heard others describe, such as negative regions population etc ... yet. But that would be highly aggravating. The most annoying aspect to me, which I have a love-hate relationship with, is the big changes that happen due to historic events. . Works well in terms of telling the narrative, but it feels janky and gamey to constantly be planning for what you know is coming next but wouldn't at all be forseeable just based on the core game mechanics, such as going hard into military early or the fact that it's not useful to try to expand our control on other regions along the Nile at this particular moment.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Scratch that, I've just noticed that this is part of the LP series that you started a while back. I've been meaning to jump in at some point so I may as well start from the beginning with Dawn of Man, I'll catch up somewhere along the line.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Third Trial; A First King? (24:46)

We don't get very far in terms of turns in this episode, but there are some important aspects to talk about. The last set of cults is unlocked, provoking a change in strategy. And the antagonist for the third trial, Narmer, is a historical figure of major import. As SIGSEGV noted, we've on a lot more solid ground here than we were with Scorpion and we start getting into why - there will be more on Narmer in future episodes.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm surprised you aren't trading with the cities along the Nile. Those are some of the most productive tiles in the game at 1-2 food, 1-2 production, and 0-1 luxuries all at once. Certainly beats out 2 food only farms back on the city map.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

You're right, I need to work on doing that - the trade option sort of escaped my mind while thinking about other things.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Once you get to the full map you really want to exploit trade to your benefit.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And Narmer, this guy probably existed, because we have a trace of his existence from his own time and not from several centuries later, like that Spartan dude.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Dynastic Era Dawns (23:17)

One gets the impression that Egypt; Old Kingdom didn't fully decide what to do with Narmer, or the new name we're introduced to here, Menes. But regardless of how those figures are best placed, we're now ready to enter into what ancient Egypt is most famous for; extravagantly large tombs for their deified rulers who have passed on.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The answer to those inconsistencies is, obviously, aliens.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You left your worker doing nothing on the tile with the petroglyphs.

Syria is interesting gameplay wise since its both a very valuable production area (wood), another exploration starting point. Right now you can only do one of those two at a time, and you can't easily shuffle between the two since the explorations take 20-50 turns. If you owned the area, you could do both at once, but its far enough away that its near impossible to conquer militarily. Assimilation is easier, but your random map seed can make this a lot easier or harder. If they start with good relations (as here) or have a 2nd area you can give gifts to its not that bad. If you start with bad relations and a single province you lose out on a lot.

The Red Sea exploration point is also nearby and often is a valuable tile for direct production with fish or pearls as well.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

The answer to those inconsistencies is, obviously, aliens.

Of course it is ....

That's without getting into the hieroglyphs that some people think look like helicopters, aircraft, etc.

There are way too many weird alien theories about ancient Egypt. WAY TOO MANY.

Xenoborg posted:

You left your worker doing nothing on the tile with the petroglyphs.

Go me!

And yeah, there's a lot of randomness that can really help or hurt you. Syria basically drives me nuts for that reason. Sinai also, although you can sometimes manage the military route there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The randomness bites rear end sometimes.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nice of the game to give credit for past works at least

TitanG
May 10, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

The randomness bites rear end sometimes.

On normal gamemodes it's not THAT bad usually but on the challenge ones it sucks major rear end.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Building the Future (20:20)

We get our first look at the tomb-building process that will eventually lead us to pyramids, and also do some more exploring. Some tough decisions, at least for me, in labor deployment increase the stress on the economy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

TitanG posted:

On normal gamemodes it's not THAT bad usually but on the challenge ones it sucks major rear end.

OH yes the Challenges... hahhah

gently caress MUMMIES

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 27, 2021

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The First Dynasty Continues (27:55)

Somewhat longer episode here as we get through most of the 'meat' of the First Dynasty. Egyptian medical thought and practice is one of more fascinating aspects to me, and there are some more controversial people that come up as well. On the purely-game side, expansion and scouting continues along with the building of the tombs and hammering of the 'worship Osiris' button. We're now about halfway through in terms of raw turn count.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

How are you supposed to have enough luxury production to spam the tombs without Ptah?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Omobono posted:

How are you supposed to have enough luxury production to spam the tombs without Ptah?

Expeditions.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Yep. That plus I was using a whole bunch of them at the same time to make nice with a couple of regions, the Sinai area and the Amu (Toad people). I would have had to wait on that or prioritize differently. Once I got past that, I was actually pretty fine on luxuries.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

Yep. That plus I was using a whole bunch of them at the same time to make nice with a couple of regions, the Sinai area and the Amu (Toad people). I would have had to wait on that or prioritize differently. Once I got past that, I was actually pretty fine on luxuries.

Well horus can make nice with his god power, much faster than ptah can as well.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Royal Crisis: The Fourth Trial (27:02)

Our journey is now over halfway through. The Royal Crisis emerges from the climate turning against us, followed by the people who for some reason expect rulers who are literal living dieties to be able to do something about the situation. So what do we do? This trial cannot be solved militarily, but the ages-old strategy of throwing stupid amounts of money at the problem works just fine.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You forgot to put the link mentionned at 7:38 in the description of the video. :v:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I'm good at that.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Here, for the thread. Also upgrading video description. https://www.nemo.nu/ibisportal/0egyptintro/2egypt/2bildsidor/2anedjib.htm

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ancient Rulership was pretty good for the rulers until the weather turns against them.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

It's all fun and games until someone actually wants to see some god-like results.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The Second Dynasty; An Uneasy Transition (26:24)

It appears my string of being able to manipulate my way into unvarnished success is about to come to an end. The Fifth Trial requires a military solution, and the neighbors are not being entirely cooperative. Oh, and we're building more tombs now, cramming them full of more expensive items that nobody can see from the exterior, because reasons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why do the tombs require so much upkeep? Maintenance and repairs is one thing but do they need to constantly replace treasures which are raided too?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think it's both a gameplay thing and a representation of the fact that the tomb complexes are basically small temples to the people interred within and need to be manned and maintained both for upkeep and sacrifices. Which perhaps include smashing glassware and ivory carvings, for gameplay purposes.

Also Hyperborean barbarian heroes turn up every 6 months and steal a giant diamond or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Strategic Sage posted:

The Second Dynasty; An Uneasy Transition (26:24)

It appears my string of being able to manipulate my way into unvarnished success is about to come to an end. The Fifth Trial requires a military solution, and the neighbors are not being entirely cooperative. Oh, and we're building more tombs now, cramming them full of more expensive items that nobody can see from the exterior, because reasons.

That certainly was some luck you had there

Also: you haven't domesticated the antelopes in your city, which could feed you a little more food