Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

We've somehow been missing a thread on the longest run sci-fi tv series in the world, and I've recently started catching up from where I left off, so here's a low effort thread about Doctor Who.

I left off after Angels Take Manhatten, so I've still got a little bit of Matt Smith left to go before I hit Peter Capaldi. It's enjoyable enough, and I'm more fond of Matt Smith's portrayal than I remember being at the time. Clara just seems to be kinda there for now. Feels like most of her character is invested in being a mystery box so far.

Also this scene was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAVx0u9Cw4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Doctor Whom

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The last episode I watched was "Midnight" which was really great! Better than I remember even. Like a one room play or a twilight zine kinda show. Great acting, great use /of/ acting as a confusing device for an alien understanding.

Two episodes later I'm watching donna noble with a bug on her back and I'm back out again!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The back-bug episode slaps, both for the scenes where Catherine Tate is forced to pretend that a clearly static plastic prop is clinging to her, and for the overt commentary on racist British society.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dr. who

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I would like to thank OP for making a thread where I can make this joke.

Ahem.

Doctor Poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Who What Now posted:

Ahem.

Doctor Poo

all my golden fivebabies, are now yours

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ric Flair, kicking open the door of the TARDIS, attired in what you might expect of either him or the titular role. I present to you: Dr. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
For the last few years, my wife and I take edibles and then watch a classic episode before bed. We are just about done with #5's first season. Old Doctor Who is so chill.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

I had started watching all of Doctor Who from the beginning for whatever reason in the middle of last year but (as with most things) petered off again. The actual production history behind early Doctor Who tends to be better than the episodes themselves lol

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I wanted every single PBS telethon Dr. Who goodies.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

josh04 posted:

The back-bug episode slaps, both for the scenes where Catherine Tate is forced to pretend that a clearly static plastic prop is clinging to her, and for the overt commentary on racist British society.

Was that commentary? The exotic evil alien planet that is just Chinatown? I turned it off halfway lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Oh god no, not that. Over halfway through the episode Britain descends into a racist post-apocalypse state after London gets space-nuked and there's a scene where all the non-white characters are rounded up by the army.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

Was that commentary? The exotic evil alien planet that is just Chinatown? I turned it off halfway lol
They round up Italian immigrants to a genocide camp in order to protect the borders and it's way, way better than it has any right to be thanks to older character actors selling the gently caress out of it.

Also that episode gets brownie points for literally taking all of the plots of Doctor Who episodes up to that point and saying "ok so the Doctor's not there, so what happens to Earth?" and basically showing the decline from a ground-level perspective. For such a garish, camp aesthetic the RTD folk could slap surprisingly hard when they wanted, and if you can look past the 00s candy-color cringe they've aged well. It's hard to look past though. My girlfriend and I use Doctor Who to goof off and unwind, where we can talk while watching something, and she had a blast slamming Catherine Tate's fashion.

Roth posted:

I left off after Angels Take Manhatten, so I've still got a little bit of Matt Smith left to go before I hit Peter Capaldi. It's enjoyable enough, and I'm more fond of Matt Smith's portrayal than I remember being at the time. Clara just seems to be kinda there for now. Feels like most of her character is invested in being a mystery box so far.
I think the going theory is that Moffat was overextended and dropped multiple balls, and basically cost us an extra series of Matt Smith and brought Clara in too early. She makes a lot more "sense" once Capaldi shows up and her mystery box poo poo (which sucks) is in the past and firmly forgotten.

Capaldi's era is also aging well. I felt it was mostly hot garbage in the first half but it finds a groove and it has some of the best Cybermen-- yes the loving Cybermen-- stories the show ever did. It helps when you realize that Capaldi-era productions and acting were, by Doctor Who standards, a lot more subtle and understated than the Smith/Tennant stuff ever was.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

mind the walrus posted:

They round up Italian immigrants to a genocide camp in order to protect the borders and it's way, way better than it has any right to be thanks to older character actors selling the gently caress out of it.

Also that episode gets brownie points for literally taking all of the plots of Doctor Who episodes up to that point and saying "ok so the Doctor's not there, so what happens to Earth?" and basically showing the decline from a ground-level perspective. For such a garish, camp aesthetic the RTD folk could slap surprisingly hard when they wanted, and if you can look past the 00s candy-color cringe they've aged well. It's hard to look past though. My girlfriend and I use Doctor Who to goof off and unwind, where we can talk while watching something, and she had a blast slamming Catherine Tate's fashion.

At his best, I have no idea what tone Russel T Davies is going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbb56jZo0rE

What the hell was this????

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah RTD had lots of nadirs and the camp was pretty awful. I honestly felt bad for John Simms and was happy that Moffat gave him a proper story to flex in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBIpFAZPpAg

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah RTD had lots of nadirs and the camp was pretty awful. I honestly felt bad for John Simms and was happy that Moffat gave him a proper story to flex in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBIpFAZPpAg

I will say, it was great when simm ate the sandwich really fast. RTD gave us that.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Also that episode gets brownie points for literally taking all of the plots of Doctor Who episodes up to that point and saying "ok so the Doctor's not there, so what happens to Earth?" and basically showing the decline from a ground-level perspective.

Whoa, the current state of our planet seems to be a fixed point in time and the Doctor cannot help then...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Everybody loves Doc Who, but nobody wants to see Doc How.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Who What Now posted:

Ahem.

Doctor Poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiCcp4Jk-34

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

More like Dr......who gives a poo poo

*Unreal Tournament guy voice*
HOLY-poo poo!!!!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

WHOMST

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Roth, quit while you are ahead.
It really takes a nose dive from Peter Capaldi onward, especially after Chris Chibnall takes over as head writer.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWmQ1-dz64

You ARE the weakest link

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

baalaagaa posted:

Roth, quit while you are ahead.
It really takes a nose dive from Peter Capaldi onward, especially after Chris Chibnall takes over as head writer.

I feel so bad for Jodie Whittaker too. She's a great cast and clearly trying, and already fighting an uphill battle against stubborn fans who hate new Doctors on principle, much less a g-g-g-g-girl.... and they saddle her with loving Chin-ball scripts. It's not fair and I don't blame the rumors that she's looking to gtfo ASAP.

Say what you will about Moffat, but if they gave Whittaker the script for "Silence in the Library" or "Heaven Sent" I think she would be considered an all-timer instead of now, where she's basically an also-ran.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

mind the walrus posted:

I feel so bad for Jodie Whittaker too. She's a great cast and clearly trying, and already fighting an uphill battle against stubborn fans who hate new Doctors on principle, much less a g-g-g-g-girl.... and they saddle her with loving Chin-ball scripts. It's not fair and I don't blame the rumors that she's looking to gtfo ASAP.

Say what you will about Moffat, but if they gave Whittaker the script for "Silence in the Library" or "Heaven Sent" I think she would be considered an all-timer instead of now, where she's basically an also-ran.

The one episode I saw of this iteration, it seemed like The Master was doing most of the Doctor Who monologuing and saving things than the Doctor was

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

mind the walrus posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that Chibnall cares less about telling a good story with memorable characters, and more about leaving a lasting (if not indelible) mark on DW history. It was his idea to cast Jodie as the first female Doctor, to cast a Master as played by a person of color (e: and I should add that neither of these are bad ideas at all on their own merits, to be sure), and now the Timeless Child nonsense. He wants to be seen in the same light as classic series producers and writers like Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks, or Philip Hinchcliffe and Robert Holmes, but instead he's making the John Nathan-Turner and Eric Saward era look good by comparison, he is just that bad.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 26, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The sad thing is that the Timeless Child crap could be good in a marketing sense-- it could actually free up the Doctor from a lot of franchise orthodoxy and allow for a lots of "playaround"-- no longer worrying about making the timeline have perfect sense and using "Timeless Child" as a handwave; having miniseries or one-off episodes that let them try out new Doctor/Companion dynamics, give the lead actors/companions a production break, allow one-offs or miniseries with actors who would otherwise never have the time to play the Doctor but wanted to; maybe see if these "guest Doctors" grow on people and branch out the franchise, etc.

Like that makes a lot of sense for where the franchise could go.

But the way it's been done... it's just the worst kind-of writing.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'd love it if Doctor Who looked as cheap as possible and was shot like, handheld on a mirrorless camera. Grimy Video is good for this particular franchise

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Dr. Who went to poo poo after Luke Perry died and the hot blonde left.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I realized the other day that Daleks are really similar 40k Space Marine.

A genius on a war torn planet invents a mutant super soldiers incased in suit of power armor. These super soldiers go into space to conquer and exterminate any life they see as inferior. Some of the soldiers inevitably turn on their genius creator.

A lot of this probably just comes from them both being space fascists

FunkyAl posted:

I'd love it if Doctor Who looked as cheap as possible and was shot like, handheld on a mirrorless camera. Grimy Video is good for this particular franchise

Christopher Eccleston's season was the best of the revival because I don't even think they even recorded it on film.

Also, I love that he's open that he's recording audio dramas as the Doctor now because "it's paid work."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

The sad thing is that the Timeless Child crap could be good in a marketing sense-- it could actually free up the Doctor from a lot of franchise orthodoxy and allow for a lots of "playaround"-- no longer worrying about making the timeline have perfect sense and using "Timeless Child" as a handwave; having miniseries or one-off episodes that let them try out new Doctor/Companion dynamics, give the lead actors/companions a production break, allow one-offs or miniseries with actors who would otherwise never have the time to play the Doctor but wanted to; maybe see if these "guest Doctors" grow on people and branch out the franchise, etc.

Like that makes a lot of sense for where the franchise could go.

But the way it's been done... it's just the worst kind-of writing.

I know I'll sound like one of those "Back in my day..." types, but, take a classic episode like Brain of Morbius. Yeah, a lot of folks remember the bit at the end where Tom Baker gets into a psychic duel, and, *gasp* there were Doctors before Hartnell! Impossible! The whole four episode sequence builds to this point, with gradually increasing intensity (including some nice structural bits where each cliffhanger has Sarah-Jane being attacked by a different incarnation of Morbius), and then it's over. What's the next story? What's the follow up to this amazing revelation? gently caress all. We instead get Seeds of Doom, which, is also great, but couldn't give a poo poo about continuity or trivia.

Part of what made the old show so good was that there was no big overarching thing it was moving towards. Even when they tried it with the Key to Time season, some of the writers used it as a opportunity to take the piss out of those "assemble the macguffin" type stories, and the others just tacked on a little bit at the beginning and end. It would be much worse if the White and Black Guardians were popping up every little bit to torment the Doctor and Romana. And even during RTD's run, the episodes themselves worked as episodes, not as endless foreshadowing to some bigger, better story, that they swear is coming.

We saw bits of this "we swear there's a bigger story running through this" under John Nathan-Turner and Eric Saward, and, well... Here's the fans back in 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkCe3owO7wY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah it was a nice shift out of the 90s where most genre television really held continuity and ambitious storytelling in contempt, but I do think that 20+ years of Whedon's precedent + DVD/DVR/Streaming formats encouraging binge-watching that most writers really need to reacquaint themselves with the basic arc of telling a straightforward story.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Atrocious Joe posted:

Christopher Eccleston's season was the best of the revival because I don't even think they even recorded it on film.

Also, I love that he's open that he's recording audio dramas as the Doctor now because "it's paid work."

Eccleston is doing anything Doctor Who related? I was under the impression he hated his experience, and for good reason too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zesty posted:

Eccleston is doing anything Doctor Who related? I was under the impression he hated his experience, and for good reason too.

Yeah he's doing some Radio Dramas and when asked about it for an interview he said was literally:

quote:

“What convinces a bricklayer to build a wall? What convinces a plumber to plumb? What convinces you to do your job?” Eccleston said when asked of the reasons behind his long-awaited return while speaking to gathered press over the phone in-between recording sessions in February. “First of all, I know it’s not a fashionable thing to do because we’re all English, we don’t talk about these things, but I’m an actor and the way I pay my mortgage and support my children, Albert and Esme, is by acting. So, it’s paid work. First and foremost. It’s what I do my job for. Secondly, as I’ve always said, I have a great love for the character. I’ve always said that. And the quality of the scripts.”

https://io9.gizmodo.com/doctor-whos-christopher-eccleston-on-why-now-is-the-tim-1846556742

Honestly-- loving props. Go off Eccleston.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought more than him hating the job, the showrunners hated him way more for prioritizing other things over being Doctor Who.

Which also explains how the show had a real ego problem sometimes.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Eccleston was such a great doctor, I'm glad he's dipping a toe back into it and taking them to the cleaners in the process god willing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought more than him hating the job, the showrunners hated him way more for prioritizing other things over being Doctor Who.

Which also explains how the show had a real ego problem sometimes.

Given how RTD apparently tolerated inappropriate behavior from Barrowman (and it wouldn't surprise me if he turned a blind eye towards Noel Clarke, either), and how Moffat's just a sexist piece of crap in general, I feel pretty OK in not liking most of what they produced during their runs on DW. I don't care for Chibnall's current run, either, but at least so far nothing's come out about him being a horrible boss or a sex pest (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
How many legitimate or illegitimate children has the doctor fathered/mothered