Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Pennsylvanian posted:

Matt's improv hot potato to Beth at the end.

That and the argument he had with Freddie about dropping him were real highlights. The rest of the episode was a blur, which is usually true of combat-heavy episodes, but I don't even remember how Willie died and I just listened to it 4 hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Friend posted:

That and the argument he had with Freddie about dropping him were real highlights. The rest of the episode was a blur, which is usually true of combat-heavy episodes, but I don't even remember how Willie died and I just listened to it 4 hours ago.

:piss:

I'm liking KDM too, and I'm interested in playing the game myself, but I cannot imagine the world where I can get a group together for more than one session and it sounds like a lot of work so gently caress it

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
They've talked a lot about landing the plane in the recent teen talks and I think that's very fair. Overall I thought season 2 was mostly fine with some episodes and arcs I'll probably never come back to.

I do think the planned break from Anthony being DM for awhile is a great idea.

The KDM episodes have been a lot of fun. I was curious about the game too and there's no way I'll get anyone roped into that consistently but there's apparently a really good mod for it on tabletop simulator if anyone wants to try it that way.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 28, 2024

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

If there was a digital version of KDM, I'd play it. They make it sound really fun, and Matt being a tabletop fiend makes the presentation even better.

timp posted:

As a huge Story Break fan who hasn’t listened to this podcast in over a year I must respectfully disagree

I mostly say it felt like an extended Story Break because it felt like they were trying to tell a story in that they were pitching scenes way more than they did in Season 1. Going back to random episodes, it often feels like there are five DMs and no players for extended periods of time. But that's just my feeling.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

If there was a digital version of KDM, I'd play it. They make it sound really fun, and Matt being a tabletop fiend makes the presentation even better.

I mostly say it felt like an extended Story Break because it felt like they were trying to tell a story in that they were pitching scenes way more than they did in Season 1. Going back to random episodes, it often feels like there are five DMs and no players for extended periods of time. But that's just my feeling.

I think that's the fundamental difficulty with AP content which is to say that the early episodes of any of these podcasts all feel like a group of friends playing a game but always turns into some loosely scripted narrative thing as the cast tries to have something to tie the content together. We saw it with TAS and Critical Role.

It's no wonder this group suffers from that more than say, NADDPOD, because they're almost all writers first and comedians second and also Freddie just can't stop himself lol

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Blinkz0rz posted:

We saw it with TAS and Critical Role.

Yeah, you tend to see it more and more as the cast starts using the phrase "collaborative storytelling" more and more as the show goes on.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It was ok. Way more of an anticlimax than the first season but I'm just glad it's over.

Bring back Story Break

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Went back and realized why I didn't remember it. He blips back from hell, the soccer players say "uh nevermind" and then "everyone's spells start blasting him and he gets hurt and dies the end."

What kind of climax is that? Not only did no one roll, but they didn't even say who was doing the spells or what the spells were!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Friend posted:

Went back and realized why I didn't remember it. He blips back from hell, the soccer players say "uh nevermind" and then "everyone's spells start blasting him and he gets hurt and dies the end."

What kind of climax is that? Not only did no one roll, but they didn't even say who was doing the spells or what the spells were!

Yeah it was a bold choice to not have a boss battle at all and basically just say “yeah gently caress it you kill him i guess” but this is so far removed from a typical actual play show by now that it didn’t bother me too much

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I think it was the right call just to get it over with. I liked season 2 but I felt that it was spinning its wheels before they even got to heaven.

In my own opinion they tried to front load the arcs they wanted to cover rather than letting some things come up naturally when playing the game.

The main example for me was Scary's arc with Willy.

Small gripe aside I would listen to these goofballs read product ingredients each week.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I think it was the right call just to get it over with. I liked season 2 but I felt that it was spinning its wheels before they even got to heaven.

In my own opinion they tried to front load the arcs they wanted to cover rather than letting some things come up naturally when playing the game.

The main example for me was Scary's arc with Willy.

Small gripe aside I would listen to these goofballs read product ingredients each week.

Yeah this was kind of a mess of a season, but unlike TAZ, which I bailed on in season 2, I still listened to this one and all the teen talks until the end, usually on the week they came out, if not the day itself. It’s a very fun crew that I enjoy listening to, and I’m glad Anthony is taking a little time off from DMing if that’s what their plan is, I think the man is falling apart a little and could use a break.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I think it was the right call just to get it over with.

That’s how I was feeling about 25 episodes back, I just couldn’t maintain interest this season. I’m really hoping they can figure out how to get the magic back next time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I kinda hope they take a little time off to do goofy short term stuff before spinning back up into campaign mode. I remember in the teen talk after the first episode (which I remember feeling so optimistic about) that it sounded like a bit of an ordeal, with re-records and revisions and a bunch of other stuff that a room full of writers would do and I wonder if it burnt them out a little.

The crew (except Anthony sometimes) still sounded pretty positive on the season even in late episode teen talks so maybe I’m way off and we’re all just a bunch of curmudgeons but I dunno. I still hope they just gently caress around and have a little fun before trying to do something big again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I just finished listening to the teen talk bit and I'm glad that they were happy with it and love their product. Season 2 never really hit with me the same way that Season 1 did, but I'm still quite happily awaiting more content from that whole crew. And if Anthony needs a break, by all means. But I look forward to him coming back stronger than ever when he feels like he can.

KDM doesn't do anything for me, either. I miss their goofy christerion stuff and hope it comes back, but I miss debate me coward so much more.

And do always bring back Story Break for random appearances when they have time to.