Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

71: Long Live the King (Part 1)

It's quiet here. Too quiet.

Let's take some precautions and make sure our medals are in order. Triumph Buzz and Victory Buzz have served us well, but they do nothing in boss fights like the one we're almost certainly walking into...

I've elected to replace them with Fortify+ and Mightier Pebble. I've been liking Fortify+ for longer fights (and because playing defensively gives the bosses more of a chance to show off everything they can do), and we haven't made much use of Boulder Toss.

Right, let's get going. The only path available to us leads south.

Let's cross this big spoon.

As soon as we step off the spoon, a cutscene starts.

53 - The Usurper

Not far ahead of us, the Wasp King is here, facing some kind of magical barrier.

He takes out the artifacts...

Puts on the Ancient Mask...

And uses the Ancient Tablet to break the barrier.

Our team rushes to confront him. Hopefully we're not too late.

Yeah! Our trail of beating you up comes next!

For when I consume this sapling...
You will have no choice but to squirm in fear and surrender to your King!
You think you'll rule with fear!? That you'll be happy that way!?
Or that the people will so quickly submit?

No one cared about me until I put it on.
Through power and magic, I became feared and respected!
From weakling to ruler... I have never been happier!
You're pathetic. You could never hope to be a true King!
You will all perish today. Your opinion holds no significance to me.

Parry this, you crook!

...What?
W-Woah, we're kinda alright!
C-Could it be?

Kabbu takes out the Flame Brooch. Apparently, that's what saved us, and it's the reason we weren't hurt as badly as the others. (...How does this work? Does the brooch somehow know to protect everyone who's registered under the name Team Snakemouth? Uh, let's not think about it too hard.)

Hmph. I should have finished off Vanessa. To think she'd give you that...
We hope you're ready for our counterattack, tyrant!
I've been waiting all day!

Click me for video!

80 - The Usurper, Grasping for Power (Recommended listening!)

Looks like it's finally time to fight the Wasp King for real! Take a moment to appreciate the music here, too. This is one of my favourite tracks in the game, reprising and elaborating on the Wasp King's prior theme. It's regal, dramatic, intimidating, and more than anything else, catchy.

Let's spy and see what we're dealing with.

We must not waste this opportunity the Flame Brooch has given us! Give it your all, everyone!

He has 105 HP and 0 defence. That will take some time to burn through, but we've fought sturdier foes, so how hard this is is all going to depend on what kind of damage he can put out.

For now, we'll be careful, and take things a bit cautiously. We'll start with a normal attack from Kabbu...

Fortify+ from Leif...

And some more attacks from Vi and Chompy.

On his turn, the Wasp King casts another fire tornado at us! It's not just for cutscenes any more. This attack deals base 5 damage to the entire party, and will inflict burning if not blocked. It's a lot more survivable than the last time we saw it, certainly (no more 99s!), but the damage will definitely add up fast if you don't stay on top of dealing with it.

Right. That's not a terrible start; what shall we do now?

For now, let's just attack normally and conserve our TP.

The tornado isn't his only fire attack, either. This barrage of fireballs deals 3 base damage per hit, attacks 1-3 times, and will also set us on fire if we fail to block. Between our defensive bonuses and some good timing, we can avoid all harm from this one.

This doesn't seem too bad so far. Is this really the best he can do?

Kabbu will just keep attacking.

I think it's finally time to have Vi break out some healing, though.

Leif and Chompy can keep the damage coming.

That's interesting to see! He doesn't usually break the items out quite this early. He has access to both Spicy Fries and Burly Chips, for stat boosts and some minor healing (in both cases, the items work the same way for him as they would for us).

This could get a bit scary, depending on what attack he uses. At least we healed last turn, so we should hopefully be ready for whatever he decides to send our way.

Um, oops. I moved Vi in front and had Leif relay to her, thinking I could combine the charge-ups from Favorite One with Status Relay for a bigger attack. But I forgot that Leif didn't have any charges left to pass her, so all this did was transfer his last turn of regeneration. Oops.

This is still probably worth it, so let's go for it. Since he has 0 defence, we may as well go for Tornado Toss instead of Hurricane to save some TP.

Even at only +1, this is still a lot of damage!

Let's have Leif refresh our defence buff again.

Kabbu and Chompy can keep attacking.

The Wasp King also still has his axe attacks, including this melee strike for 6 base damage. Going after Kabbu might not be the best idea, though, because this one makes him vulnerable to Spiky Bod damage. I certainly won't complain about that!

We're certainly making progress.

There we go. This time, it actually worked the way I wanted it to. (Though do let's note that Status Relay is all or nothing, so Leif's also passed Vi the defence boost from Fortify+. I'm not particularly worried about that, but it's something to keep in mind when using this strategy, it can mess you up if you're not careful.)

Now, let's do another Tornado Toss.

The one possible issue when using Tornado Toss instead of Hurricane Toss is that it's easier to mess up the action command...

Still, ultimately that mistake cost us 3 damage, which isn't the end of the world.

We'll just keep the attacks coming, then.

Once he gets low enough on HP (I don't know the precise threshold, but it's around 35-40%), the Wasp King powers up and gains an extra action each turn. He will then immediately use both those turns.

This axe throw is his most damaging single-target attack, dealing 7 damage at base. Vi takes a bit extra here due to her Power Exchange medals (and my failure to block), but it'd hurt pretty badly regardless.

And there's also this fireball volley. Instead of throwing it, he can also bat it into us with his axe. This deals 6 base damage and can inflict burn if not blocked, but unlike the other fireball barrage, only hits a single time. It's enough to KO Vi here, though; leaving her in front can be risky sometimes.

Right. With Vi down, we should probably take this turn to regroup a bit...

First things first, we'll get her out of the front and revive her with Kabbu's Pep Talk.

May as well have her attack, she'll do the most damage of anyone...

Before having Leif relay to her so she can heal herself. That should get us out of the woods for now.

Then Chompy can attack as normal.

The fire tornado hurts, but we can survive it.

He follows it up with an axe swipe, but it's not going to make much difference (especially since he targeted Kabbu again and got punished for it).

All right. Let's finish this?

This battle is certainly over... right? The screen just fades out here, we don't get a battle end screen with EXP...

Not that tough without that fire, huh?
I... I didn't come THIS far...

...Did he just chuck a Cherry Bomb at us?

79 - ???

While we're incapacitated, he rushes over to this capsule thing.

He fuses the two parts of the Ancient Key together...

Inserts the key...

(the music goes silent here)

...opening the capsule to reveal...

...the Everlasting Sapling?

It's... It's wilted!
A-After all this...!
It wasn't that everlasting, huh.

(In hindsight, hermetically sealing the magical McGuffin away might not have been the best idea when it was literally a plant and they cut it off from sunlight...)

79 - ???

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT!

(He leaps up to grab the one remaining leaf, and scarfs it down.)

Stop being pathetic. You've lost!
Come here, and atone for your crimes!

Everything beings to rumble and shake. What is happening? This certainly can't be good.

N-No way! That actually worked!?

Everything goes white...

81 - Transcending, Overpowering, Everlasting (Recommended listening!)

This power will suit me just fine!
I will deliver you to your DOOM!

He incinerates what remains of the Sapling.

(Leif has a way with understatements, doesn't he.)

We've got to stop him here! He must not grow more powerful!
Well, duh! We can't run away now!
...Together, everyone! Let's finish this!

Click me for video!

Right. Of course it was never going to be that easy! Time for round two. What kind of power could the Sapling be granting him?

Once again, we have a really excellent musical theme (which started playing earlier and continues into the battle); if you listen to this one long enough, you'll also notice it incorporates a triumphant variation of the game's main leitmotif, which is a really nice touch. I'll admit to an unpopular opinion here, and that's that I prefer the phase one theme, but that's certainly not to say I don't like this one.

Right. Let's get what information we can, shall we?

We can feel the artifacts... Let's destroy them as soon as they appear. We can't stop now!

65 HP and 1 defence for this phase. Of course, there might be a bit more going on than those surface numbers suggest, as we'll see soon enough. Leif's hint about the artifacts is definitely going to come into play too. The first phase was ultimately a pretty straightforward slugfest, but this one almost certainly won't be. If nothing else, he can fly now!

Boosting our defence seems like a prudent way to start, we don't know what's coming.

As usual with flying enemies, let's have Vi get him down.

That's better. Now the others can hit him...

Well, it's not quite that simple. While he's on the ground, if you hit him with a flipping attack, it sends him back into the air and he starts flying again.

Now he's out of range and Chompy's forced to do nothing! This is going to be something we have to think about, especially when it comes to Kabbu's turns. Chompy being able to attack is only part of it: as we'll soon see, the Wasp King has different movesets when he's flying versus on the ground.

To start with, he attacks us with vines from underground. We've seen this sort of thing before, but always from Venus and her allies...

He has three different versions of this attack, which look very similar to start with but attack with different numbers of vines. This is the weakest version, a single vine which hits for 4 base damage.

So far, we're doing all right. Let's keep it up.

Vi brings him down.

Leif attacks, and gets weakness damage! Is he part plant now?

Rather than knock the King back into the air, Kabbu relays to Vi so she can heal and set up regeneration for everyone.

Leaving Chompy free to get some damage in this time.

He seems to like the vine attacks! This is a lot scarier. It's a 3-hit combo, with base damage 6, then 3, then 2. (I missed the block on the first hit, but at least managed to shave some damage off the latter two.) There is also a two-hit version with damage 4 and then 2; it seems a bit odd to me that every hit of the 3-hit variant is so much stronger, but I guess at least that means if you're paying close attention, you get a hint for the block timing.

He also recovers 3 HP at the end of his turn. This happens whenever he ends his turn on the ground (is he... putting down roots?), and is one reason we might want to consider keeping him airborne.

Right. Turn three.

We'll have Leif attack first...

then Kabbu, to send him back into the air.

Now Vi can use her turn to heal Kabbu, since he took quite a beating there. We miss out on Chompy's turn this way, but that's not a huge loss since he'd recover more than she can deal.

He's still got his axe, which he can hurl at us. This is actually among his least threatening attacks, it's just a single hit for 5 base damage. (This time, at least. He does have a second version of the axe attack, which we'll see soon enough.) The axe attacks are exclusive to when he's flying, he seems to have other priorities when grounded.

Unluckily for him, he targeted Kabbu, which means Vi is now up to +2 charge. This seems like as good a time as any to use them.

Since he has defence, Hurricane Toss is back to being the better choice. That's a lot of damage.

It also brings him back to the ground, of course.

Leif can take a normal attack for now. (In retrospect, I should probably have had him pass his charge to Vi, but it's not a huge mistake.)

Let's relay to Vi and get some more damage in! I'm using Needle Pincer mostly for variety here, though it's still a pretty solid attack.

...Wait, what? That doesn't seem right. Leif and Vi together definitely did more than 10 damage...

It's nothing, I'm sure. Let's just keep going and have Chompy do her thing.

But with this power, I cannot fail!

What the- He healed up!
Team... Don't lose hope!

This scene plays out at the start of his turn once we've reduced him to 10 HP. (As we're probably used to by now with this sort of scripted event, his HP will be locked at 10 until after it plays out.)

He calls on the power of the Sapling again and heals nearly to full. The amount he heals actually varies slightly, I'm pretty sure he recovers a bit less HP if he's airborne. (And on harder versions of this fight, such as in the EX boss rush or HARDEST mode, it's always a full heal.)

He also follows that up by attacking normally. Leif managed to weather this 3-hit vine combo a lot better than Kabbu did the last one; I did block a bit better, but Leif is also benefiting from Back Support and the Iron Seed we fed him.

Haven't you healed enough yet?

Broadly speaking, we're into another phase of the fight now. Just how long is this going to go, anyway? (That 65 HP definitely looked suspiciously low, didn't it?) If he can keep healing indefinitely, is fighting him just futile?

Regardless, we don't really have any other choice right now.

Let's refresh our defence buffs, for one thing.

Vi and Kabbu can get some attacks in.

We'll have to skip Chompy's turn, but I think that's probably worth it.

This is new! After he's healed himself, he gains the ability to summon the Artifacts. He's got the Mask on, but he can call in the Tablet and either half of the Key, and each of them has a unique effect. (This summoning is another thing he'll only do while airborne, which might be a good reason to try keeping him grounded despite the healing. He can just decide to start flying again sometimes, though, so that could be a futile effort.)

The Tablet immediately shows us what it can do: it casts Bubble Shield on him. We're going to have to get rid of it before we can get back to doing damage...

He follows that up with another axe throw, which finally breaks through Vi's First Plating.

Well, this just got messy, didn't it? What can we do about this?

Well, the tablet is a valid target, so we may as well smack it around.

Every attack seems to do 1 damage to it regardless of power, and three hits are enough to send it flying. (The tablet's sprite will appear more cracked each time you hit it, so you do have a visual indicator if you forget how many times.)

We got rid of the tablet, but Chompy's still stuck doing nothing. Oh well.

He really likes throwing axes at Vi, doesn't he.

The shield fades away at the start of his turn, thankfully. If we'd left the tablet around, it could have kept refreshing it.

We'll just stick to normal attacks for now, I think.

On his turn, he goes after Kabbu with a two-vine combo.

Let's keep going, shall we?

Vi and Leif can do the usual, to start with.

It's also probably a good idea to heal Kabbu. We're low enough on TP that I thought it a good time to use one of our Jayde's Stews (we relay and have Vi use it to get the benefit of Heal Plus).

Chompy gets to do something again!

...Ouch. That vine combo was enough to KO Vi from full HP. (Okay, she does have two Power Exchanges on, it's not that unlikely.)

And, of course, since he's grounded he gets to heal.

We can recover from this, we've definitely faced worse setbacks.

Kabbu starts off with Pep Talk, of course.

It seems prudent to refresh our defences again.

And Vi can use Sharing Stash. This is a bit inefficient since she's the only one who needed healing, but I wanted to set up the regeneration.

Chompy gets to attack again!

This is new! While grounded, the Wasp King can use this draining flower attack. Each hit of this deals 2 base damage, and like other attacks of this type, it keeps going until you fill the bar by mashing (A). If you're not careful, he can recover quite a bit of HP this way.

And on top of that, of course, he heals 3 HP at the end of the turn.

After all that healing, he's practically undone our last several turns. That's irritating.

Well, we have a way of dealing with that. Vi has a +1, let's get her in front and do a Hurricane Toss.

Hurricane Toss does count as a flipping attack and sends him back into the air, so we need to relay to Vi and get him down again.

He's on 14 HP. We could try to keep attacking, but given what happened last time, it probably pays to be a bit more cautious. We're also out of TP...

But of course we have doughnuts for that.

Chompy does her part.

Ugh. He rises up and calls the tablet in again. (Didn't we break it? No matter, I guess.) Also, it's worth noting that he can sometimes just start flying again on his own, so we can't necessarily keep him locked in grounded mode.

And, as it does, the tablet casts a shield on him.

We haven't seen this yet! For all his newfound plant powers, the Wasp King hasn't lost the ability to wield fire. This attack hurls 2-3 fireballs, each of which deals 4 base damage and inflicts burning if we don't block it (as you can see here).

Well, this is a bit unfortunate. We'll have to waste at least some of our charge-ups if we want to get rid of the tablet...

Well, nothing else for it, I suppose.

We'll get a bit tricky, though, and use Leif's turn to relay to Vi and heal Kabbu instead of attacking.

Because Chompy's placed to get rid of the tablet anyhow.

This is tricky! So, there are actually two different versions of the axe throw attack. Sometimes, instead of stopping after a single hit, the axe bounces back and hits again. The second hit deals 4 base damage. (The timing on the first hit is the same regardless, so the trick is to be ready to block just in case it hits again. Also, while I'm not certain of this, I think the second hit becomes increasingly likely later in the fight.)

Right. He's quite low on HP here, can we finish him now?

Apparently not. He's stabilised on 10 HP again, which definitely suggests another heal is coming. Let's prepare for it the best we can.

Vi's low enough on HP that we ought to heal her, and we can definitely use the TP, so this seems like a good time for our second Jayde's Stew.

For lack of anything better to do, Kabbu attacks and sends him back into the air.

This does waste Chompy's turn, but her turn was going to be wasted regardless. Let's see what happens now.

T...Try as many times as you want...! You will never defeat me!

Not again... We can't keep up...!
He can't keep helaing forever. Keep attacking!

He definitely sounds less confident this time, so maybe we're making progress... but he's still healed himself and the fight is far from over. He definitely recovered a bit less this time, thanks to being airborne.

Of course, after healing, he still gets to take his turn.

He calls in one of the artifacts...

...and then the other. We haven't seen him do this yet; he could have called in the Key pieces earlier in the fight, though we only saw the Tablet, but calling both in the same turn is new to this third phase as far as I know.

...Uh. Ouch.

Like before, the artifacts get to take actions immediately after being summoned. This lightsabre attack is a combination move he can only do if both halves of the key are out simultaneously (and only during this third phase of the fight), and it really hurts. This is 11 base damage!

The other pieces get to attack individually afterward, too! This laser isn't quite as scary (only 3 base damage), though the damage still adds up.

The other piece attacks by launching itself at us. This deals 4 base damage, though because it makes contact it can take counter damage from things like Spiky Bod.

Well, that was certainly a long turn! Um. We're definitely going to have to do something about this, we really don't want to get hit by that lightsabre again.

The key halves each have 6 HP and 2 defence; we get to see their HP automatically as long as we've Spied on the King. Unlike the Tablet, these behave like normal enemies instead of requiring a specific number of hits.

This was why I thought it might be neat to use Boulder Toss.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out quite the way I'd hoped. I forgot that the key pieces have 2 defence, and the splash damage is a constant 2 damage that doesn't pierce and can't be increased. Oops? Oh well. At least this gets everything onto the ground. (Under Strike works out a bit better for this purpose, since it does piercing damage and can hit one artifact and the King at the same time.)

Now let's start fixing the mistake. Dash Through should help, I guess.

And Vi has just enough attack to finish off at least one of the artifacts.

Chompy bites the only target she can reach.

A single-hit vine attack is a lot less scary than last turn!

We do still take another hit from the surviving key piece. (And you can see here that it took some counter damage from Kabbu.)

Let's finish the cleanup this turn, at least.

Vi hits the King first so as not to waste a few points of damage.

Because even with exhaustion, she hits plenty hard to take out the artifact.

And then we'll use Sharing Stash, since everyone needs the healing. (Uh, oops, Vi took all the actions this turn. Sometimes that will happen.)

Chompy does her thing.

Oof. This could definitely have gone better. Thanks to Kabbu's -1 defence, this ends up being a nontrivial amount of healing.

And on top of that, he gets his 3 HP for being grounded. Oh goody.

Right. Time to start doing some damage, I think, since Vi's at +2.

Hurricane Toss never disappoints.

Then we can have her hit him again.

And heal Kabbu with Secret Stash, just to be safe. (Oops, there I go making Vi do all the things again.)

Whoops! I'm not quite sure how I managed to forget to press the button, but I missed Chompy's action command. (Normally if I mess up something like this I'd go back and rerecord the fight, but I liked this take for other reasons, so I left it in.)

This was frustrating, I was just slow enough on the button mashing that he got a third hit in right as the bar hit maximum. (It'd have been a lot more frustrating if it were attacking someone other than Leif.)

And, of course, he heals at the end of the turn too.

Still, 18 HP isn't that much... let's go for it.

We have just enough TP to afford Tornado Toss, though that does come with the risk of bungling the action command.

Still, that's quite good damage, I won't complain.

...And he's below 10 HP, finally. Has the Sapling's power finally run out?

Let's go for it.

A few hits later, and...

...Is it over? Have we prevailed at last?

(This is probably a good indication that we have?)

Before we get into the aftermath, let's take a moment to talk about the final boss fight, since we're not going to get a better opportunity later. (We've seen everything he can do, more or less: the only move he didn't use during the second part is the fire tornado, which behaves exactly the same as in the first part.) This is a real marathon of a fight, easily the longest single fight in the game (especially if you factor in both phases, though the game is nice enough to give you a free full heal between them), and if you don't take it seriously, you will probably lose. And, befitting a fight that goes on for so long, he has a wide variety of attacks that you need to be able to deal with. On top of that, the way his positioning matters and interacts with your various attacks is very effective at giving you a few more things to think about on any given turn.

Another thing I find interesting is that this fight is at least somewhat a counter to glass cannon strategies, which are very strong in this game otherwise. Because the second form has effectively three HP bars, you can't finish it in a single turn no matter how high you crank up your damage output, and pushing things with Hard Charge, Last Attack, etc can really leave you vulnerable. (I'm not saying it's not viable, but it's nontrivial at least.) But if you're not boosting your damage much, it'll probably strain your resource management the longer the fight goes on. No matter what approach you take, this fight has ways to challenge you.

It's just a really solid fight, and a fitting capstone to everything the game's been asking us to learn so far. (Although it can be a bit of a difficulty spike, especially for players who haven't been engaging with the optional fights along the way.) Also, apropos of nothing... yes, we did have our epic final battle on a kitchen table.

(Splitting the post here due to the character limit, back momentarily.)

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

71: Long Live the King (Part 2)

You... How DARE you...!!!
You can't regenerate forever!
Y-Yeah! Shut up and give up already!

79 - ???

Impossible! After such a long fight, you won't concede!?
It won't end like this!

IT'S OVER, VERMIN!

(The fireball shrinks and dies, and the ominous music goes away with it.)

The green flames die down...

N-no... It can't...

Um.

What a pitiful end...
His greed and cruelty led him to this.
...We got super lucky...

The others file in again.

...You really did it! Wow.
Team Snakemouth... you've saved us all!
I truly thought we were doomed.

Is this also an Everlasting Sapling?
...No. There is no magic coming from him.
He truly is just a tree, as Vi said.
That's weird... why'd he transform?
The Everlasting Sapling's power was said to be infinite... Was that a myth as well?

(Oh, Mothiva.)

He was so strong, though!
Perhaps he was simply unable to control its power.
Maybe it was sealed for the safety of others...
Can we think about it later, though? It's still dangerous here and stuff.
Wait, Vi. What should we do with this tree?

Lower your blade, Maki.
Your Highness?

61 - Elizant II's Promise

A warning to not seek its power any longer...
Can't we put, like, a cooler statue here or something?
Like a Team Snakemouth statue!

Heheheh. Vi, you've truly made this journey something else!
You too, Kabbu. We wouldn't have it any other way.
You're not gonna get sappy in this dreadful dumpster, are you?
W-Well, it's kind of emotional for me...

(The speech bubble's a bit unclear in this screenshot, but this is Mothiva speaking again.)

We should celebrate with a big show!
...Or at least rest.
...Hah! Well, it does sound good.
We've completed our mission, after all.
But first, let us inform the Roaches of what has occurred.

Everyone turns to leave...

But Elizant and Leif linger behind.

Yes, Leif?
Are you truly satisfied with this?
Your mother will remain sleeping forever...
Everything I said in the village was true.
I... would not place that wish over my people's needs.

...Thank you. You've grown into a fine queen. And now we can say it for sure.
Thank you too, Leif. I can tell you served my mother and me earnestly, despite your doubts.
Let's go. This is no place for us any more.

And after that, they go to catch up with the others.

15 - The One Left Behind (Leif's Theme)

We pick back up in the Roaches' village.

This is still your home, Sapling or not. You can protect it with heart.
But if you'd like to visit greener pastures...
You are welcome in Bugaria. All of our kingdoms would have you.
Bugaria... We've only heard the tales our ancestors left us.
I fear I've grown too used to this small town and its Scorpions.
I will be okay, staying here.
Elder...

You need not fight monsters and forage for food.
Nor fear sleeping in case of an attack... you're free.
Those who wish to go to Bugaria, don't stay fearing for my sake.
After all, you can always visit!
...Thank you. Thank you, our elder!

Our Queen, you've caused quite a stir.
It's cuz they can have adventures now, too!
Heheh. Indeed. It makes me want to go beyond Bugaria as well!

I trust you won't keep us waiting!
Or I'll start the show without you, don't doubt it!
Well, I've got quite the report to write, so...
I'll help you! We're not missing the food!

Everyone starts to leave...

But this time, Zasp stays behind.

I'm just glad we survived. All thanks to you.
You helped us as well! It was truly a team effort!
...Let's work together again, sometime.

Dunno. Pride or something?
As long as we know his true feelings, it's fine!
There's a lot we want to say, but... let's go celebrate.
Heck yeah! I'm super hungry!
Thank you, Vi... Leif... for helping me experience the adventure of a lifetime.

More than that, they'd be proud.
Yeah! You're a super explorer now!
...Heheh. No, just part of an incredible team!

Resolving to destroy the Everlasting Sapling, they faced the Wasp King with determination.
And so, after a long journey and many harsh fights, Team Snakemouth and their comrades defeated the Wasp King.
Although the Everlasting Sapling's chapter has closed, a new one begins.

...This update's getting long, and we're not done with the ending yet. We'll pick up with the celebration, and the end credits, in the next update (which I'll post in a few days).

We've defeated the final boss, but there's still a lot left to do in Bug Fables! More on that next time, as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So nobody is commenting on the Wasp King's crown that just flew away? Nobody is searching for it?

Anyway, that looked like an amazing final boss fight. Interesting that the Everlasting Sapling was apparently a bit misnamed. But it all worked out in the end. I'm very excited about the post-game!

Personally, I prefer the second boss theme, but Bug Fables has impressed with good music all around.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So at the end it turns out the king wasp all bark, no bite

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Slaan posted:

:v:

I really struggled with this final fight, even on Normal. I actually had to leave and get proper item supplies before I could make it through, and even then, I struggled quite a bit. It is sad how essentially useless Chompy is in the battle. If she can attack, the king heals for more than it, and if she can't attack, she can't attack. Not undoable or anything, but just tricky enough to keep me wary. Still it's not the hardest challenge the game has to offer. Heheh...

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Torrannor posted:

Interesting that the Everlasting Sapling was apparently a bit misnamed.

Hey, it's the Everlasting Sapling, not the Everhealthy Sapling. Pretty impressive it had that much green left after who knows how many years stuck in a box with no sunlight, air, or fertilizer.

That did seem like a pretty epic boss fight. If only your party could have used the artifacts as giant friggin laser beams when you had them.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Torrannor posted:

So nobody is commenting on the Wasp King's crown that just flew away? Nobody is searching for it?

Anyway, that looked like an amazing final boss fight. Interesting that the Everlasting Sapling was apparently a bit misnamed. But it all worked out in the end. I'm very excited about the post-game!

Personally, I prefer the second boss theme, but Bug Fables has impressed with good music all around.

I guess, in fairness, they have a lot on their mind in this moment? (IIRC, we can investigate at least some things about the crown in the postgame. I don't actually remember everything there is to find, so we'll find out together.)

It's honestly just an awesome fight. I hope I was able to do it justice, because it tends to be a lot longer and more of a struggle for first-time players.

On the subject of the Sapling itself, I think it's meant to be ambiguous whether its power was always overestimated, or it just didn't stand the test of time (or withstand being locked away without sustenance).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the second phase theme a lot too! And it probably is a better fit for the moment than the first would be. I just haven't listened to it on repeat nearly as much as I have the first one. (They're both easily in my top 10 songs of the game, but the first one makes it into my top three.)

Slaan posted:

:rimshot:

Okay, I'll admit I laughed.

Alxprit posted:

I really struggled with this final fight, even on Normal. I actually had to leave and get proper item supplies before I could make it through, and even then, I struggled quite a bit. It is sad how essentially useless Chompy is in the battle. If she can attack, the king heals for more than it, and if she can't attack, she can't attack. Not undoable or anything, but just tricky enough to keep me wary. Still it's not the hardest challenge the game has to offer. Heheh...

I think this is a pretty common experience; this fight can be a real wake-up call for a lot of players (I'm pretty sure I lost to him my first time also). It's exacerbated a bit if you're not heavily invested in MP, and/or aren't using much by way of regenerative medals, because the fight can be a real marathon and will strain your resource management. I used so many Queen's Dinners the first time.

One of my ongoing fears with this LP is that I've been making the game look too easy, because I've played through it so many times and know what I'm doing in a way I wouldn't expect first-time players to be able to. (And even there, I'm often using odd strategies because my goal is to get the bosses to show off all their moves and make it clear how the fight works, rather than finishing things in the most efficient manner.)

I can't wait to show off the postgame challenges, though!

Qrr posted:

Hey, it's the Everlasting Sapling, not the Everhealthy Sapling. Pretty impressive it had that much green left after who knows how many years stuck in a box with no sunlight, air, or fertilizer.

That did seem like a pretty epic boss fight. If only your party could have used the artifacts as giant friggin laser beams when you had them.

Yeah, I definitely think that's the implication. The Sapling might have been powerful once, but being sealed away weakened it a lot, and whatever effect the Wasp King got from it was possibly weakened and/or corrupted. But we don't know for certain.

Hah, yes. I guess it's a good reminder that the bees were using one of these things as a power source for their entire factory! (Neolith, you're letting us down here, you should've worked out how to operate them! ;) )

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

72: Dawn of a New Day

Right, let's get this celebration started!

82 - Team, We Did It! (Recommended listening!)

A triumphant victory fanfare plays, and we see confetti in the skies over the Ant Kingdom as the camera pans down over the plaza.

It's great to see such a joyous mood in town!
Heheh. All we've gotta do is go get our super reward!

This pops up as soon as their conversation ends, and we're given control. Let's check out the achievements first, then have a look around (lots of people to talk to here!).

Here's the one we just got, for completing Chapter 7.

We got this one last update, right after finishing the battle.

Look how crowded the Plaza is! Lots of characters we know have come to congratulate us!

Before we start talking to everyone, let's check the banter.

...We did it.
Frankly, it's a bit surreal.
It was a super, super long mission...
But we saved everyone! Heheh, being famous too doesn't hurt!

Honestly, it's a bit surreal for me too. What a journey this has been. (I definitely underestimated how much work this LP would be going in, and certainly didn't think it would end up taking me nearly two years to finish. I say that as if we're done, of course; we've still got quite a bit of content left.)

If we check the banter for any of the characters, we'll see this one:

Woah! Everybody's here!
Many of the people we helped are here...
It's pretty nice, huh.
This is what I meant, Vi. Helping others truly becomes a reward!

This banter is actually hinting at something: sneakily, this is a reward for being thorough with our sidequests. Several characters won't be here unless you've completed the quest associated with them, so if you're rushing through you might see fewer people here. That said, I don't know precisely who, or under what conditions; someday I do want to do a minimalist challenge, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If we try to leave by heading south, Leif will say this and stop us. We're locked in for now until we finish seeing the ending.

Right, time to talk to everyone! We'll just start with who's closest.

Looks like Pibu and Nero get along! That's nice to see.

This is cute.

It's been a while since we've seen Cerise!

But Tanjy's not here! And he's the strongest bug I know!
Let it go, Kabbu.

Heh. Put a pin in this, I guess, Tanjerin is around here somewhere.

Next up are the chefs.

Naturally. Word of my skill was sure to spread.
Hahahaha! Kut, you must polish your social skills too!

You may notice Fry is blocking the path to the east; we can't leave that way.

Samira's here too. (Not far from where she usually hangs out around here, actually.) We'll have to remember to see her again once we're in the postgame, since we've finally heard all the songs and unlocked them for purchase. That will have to wait, though.

It's Eetl! Remember Eetl? (He runs the quest board in the Explorers' Association, he's one of the first bugs we met.)

You worry way too much!

He has a very emotional reaction to seeing we're okay. (Interestingly, his sprites don't reset after we're done talking to him, so it looks like he just doesn't stop tearing up once he starts.)

I shall sit back and enjoy the show from backstage this once.

(MM is blocking off the theatre entrance, as you might expect.)

Over by the quest board, we have Utter as we might expect, but Ven and Anna are here too.

It's probably not a surprise Utter would say something like this.

These two seem grateful.

Right, time to start in on the other side!

Eophi and Mun are here too. Mun strikes up a combat pose when we speak to him, but I'm sure he still has a lot of training to do.

Here's Terrie and her sister (and the Bug Ranger Plushie we gave them!). It's good to see they're happy.

Who could forget about Janet? (Kabbu.) We'll have to challenge her in Spy Cards sometime.

Hehe. Thanks, Chuck! Enjoy the feast!

I still love seeing Chuck's happy pose.

Thanks for your patronage too, Team Snakemouth.

Blocking the west side, we have the Ant Kingdom shopkeepers.

Heheh. It was nothing!

Over by our house, we can find Beette. She's still grateful we took it off her hands.

I just wanted to be the first to say you're awesome!
Aww...
Thank you, Chubee!
You're awesome, too.

Chubee's here too. I kind of wish I'd talked to her first, now.

Right. Onward! Even Jayde's come.

Err, thanks for believing in us.
You've gotta have some party stew later!

Is anyone ever going to disabuse her of the notion we're the real Bug Rangers? (I kind of hope not.)

Alex still has a one-track mind.

Carmina and Shay are apparently trying to play cards here!

Yatanta and her brother even came. (Reprising the scenario from their quest, too.)

Over here, there's an ant guard we can talk to. They've definitely seen a lot.

Before we continue north, we're not quite finished here! Let's head into the inn.

The innkeeper is excited for new business.

The Termacade owner is hanging out in here, too. (And I'm sensing a bit of a theme...)

If we head upstairs, we can find Doppel with Bub and Rob.

I'm... so relieved...
Seeing the world was great, but nothing beats coming home.

Looks like the Ladybug Exile might have finally been rescinded?

Right, where to next?

Let's check inside our house.

Uh. We have a squatter.

Nothing here, though!
Oi! Get out of our house!

Well, that certainly happened. Let's just go, shall we?

There's more to see up on the roof!

...Just this once.

Even Astotheles came, though he's in disguise. (Let's just hope he doesn't try to start any fights with Elizant while he's here...)

Right, to the next level up!

What's this? It's the dev team!

Fuutes.

Comfy.

Genow.

Mar.

(If you look closely here, now that we've moved the camera a bit, Comfy seems to have a Blue Ranger Plushie. I wonder how many of those were made?)

Effo and Poppy. These two only tell us their names.

But this party's making me late for breakfast...
...What do you mean it's lunch time!?

Soto here is a bit more talkative.

Tristan and Oma are here at the back.

This is about what we should have expected.

I wrote you a s-*burp*song! CHECK THIS O-*burp*

He starts playing a... song?

83 - A Virtuoso's Tribute (Recommended... listening?)

Uh, okay then.

As I understand it, this is a bit of an inside joke among the dev team: Tristan the character is always drunk (and, other than this, can be seen in the Underground Tavern) because the real Tristan Alric had another gig performing music in bars.

82 - Team, We Did It!

Right then, there's nothing more to see here!

So let's head on north.

Did you think we were done? There are so many more characters! (There's something just so satisfying about this, getting to talk to everyone while the triumphal music plays.)

There's a new banter here, too.

Everyone here has supported our journey...
We couldn't have done it alone, that's for sure.
And that's ok! When you work together you can do cooler stuff!
...You've matured, Vi.
Four bees' worth!
...Thanks.

(I wonder if they ever plan to explain that reference for Leif, or if they're just going to leave him guessing about everything that happened before they met him.)

As you might imagine, Neolith is excited to plumb the Roaches' knowledge.

Mothiva, thank you for helping us!
...! O-Ohohoho! It was nothing!
Thanks.

I'm not sure if feeding Mothiva's ego is wise, Kabbu. Maybe she's learning?

Zasp continues being friendly.

The Mayor came all the way from Defiant Root, too.

Aria and Venus are here. (I don't think it'll ever be explained why Aria's so insistent on keeping Venus a secret, when Venus herself doesn't seem to care.)

Gen and Eri find us an inspirational example.

Meanwhile, Celia and Levi seem to disagree on what they want to do next.

Onto the bridge!

Let's, uh... let's say we figured it out.

Heh, that's right, we never did go back to explain that. And, honestly, given the Doctor's predilections Leif's probably better off keeping it to himself.

Being professional sucks sometimes... I-I mean! Thank you so much for everything!

Meanwhile, Crow just wants to play cards.

Honestly, at my age it feels like it's not my problem... but it's nice to see things turn out fine.

I think this is the calmest we've ever seen Professor Honeycomb.

Also, Hawk is here with his family! (For anyone who didn't figure out his connection to them yet.)

Hehehe... I'll bake you a cake later. Make sure to come eat it!
...Hehe. Yeah, Muze. That sounds great.

Ah, um... thanks.

You gotta tell us about yer adventures sometime! How about over our next dinner?
You got it, pops. Hope you're ready for a long one.

We can also have Leif talk to all of his descendants. It's nice to see that connection will continue.

Right, on we go.

It's nice to see Rebecca happy too.

But she sends her regards. I do, as well!

Who'd have thought we'd ever see King Hector IV willingly visit the Ant Kingdom?

You don't need to, it was the right thing to do.
So humble! Please, I hope you'll visit our kingdom now that the dust has settled.

Let's put a pin in this one, too. We'll have to pay a visit to the Wasp Kingdom now that they're at peace.

If we try to talk to General Fuff, Kabbu actually starts the conversation first. Everyone just seems embarrassed...

I'm gonna need a huge painting! From the most talented artist in the Bee Kingdom!
When can you start making it?
Ahahaha! Oh gosh, Vi! Go to your ceremony already!

Something tells me these two are still going to have their frictions.

Vi... you've made me so proud! You've opened new frontiers for all Bees!
A-Ahahaha... Yeah! I really did!
I hope you'll come visit more often, my dear child.

And last up, we have Queen Bianca. At least things definitely seem to be reconciled here!

Right, I think that's everyone! Shall we go into the palace?

The game gives us a warning and asks us to confirm we want to go in, just in case we still had someone left to talk to. We've already covered everyone, though, so we're ready!

(The music stops playing here.)

The camera pans over the whole crowd who have gathered...

as Team Snakemouth files in

and Elizant comes out to meet us.

Many of them are here today, and I can't thank you enough.
But there is so, so much to be joyful for.
The assistance of those who believed in us.
The freedom of the Wasps from their tyrant.
The promise of reconciliation with the Termites.
And the closing of the Everlasting Sapling's chapter.
A new future for Bugaria and the Ant Kingdom!

Everyone cheers.

Even though this was only possible due to the efforts of many...
None can deny the great part you played in this campaign.

...Anyhow, it is my absolute honor and privilege...
To knight the three of you as Royal Blades for the service to our kingdom.
May fame and glory come to you for your brave efforts!

Everyone cheers again!

08 - Getting Stronger!

(The level-up theme does seem fitting to this moment too, as everyone prepares to leave for the feast.)

(Confetti started falling when the music kicked in too, you can see a bit of it here.)

And, with that, we fade out and the credits start playing!

84 - Credits (Recommended listening! Or you can watch the video version below.)

Click me for video!

At long last, it's the credit roll! The accompanying music is a really nice medley of quite a lot of the game's songs, it's well worth a listen. And, possibly in an homage to Paper Mario, we'll get to see a parade of all the characters throughout the game world.

I'm not going to screenshot every last name (you can see the full credits in the video), but I'll call out some highlights.

Here's the core Moonsprout Games team (whose avatars we got to see earlier). You all did some really excellent work; thank you!

Here we have all the backers who contributed bosses!

And more backers, who contributed NPCs!

(Reeves was apparently designed by Blarghalt, who is another LP forum regular! I don't know for sure that it's the same person, but it seems pretty likely.)

And more backers, who contributed medal and item designs. It looks like a few people didn't end up claiming this reward, also?

And the credits wrap up with a special thanks message from Moonsprout Games.

The End!

...Or is it? What happens if we press a button here?

17 - Ant Kingdom

We're back in the plaza again, and the camera pans down to Team Snakemouth...

Don't let the praise get to your head, Vi.
Team... thank you once more.
You've said thanks like a billion times already, stop!
Err, right. Sorry...
You don't have to say sorry either.

What's up?

I would like to... visit my friends.
And to let them know of our triumph.
...Alright. Yeah. We can do that!
Count on it, Kabbu.
Do you two have any requests as well?
Nah. We're fine.
Yeah. You've helped us enough. Let us pay you back.
...Let's go, then!

This is definitely something we can do for Kabbu. Let's help him get some closure. (This conversation is a bit different if you haven't completed Vi's or Leif's requests, in which case they'll bring up wanting to do that now as well.)

The game gives us a prompt to save here.

I am often apprehensive about saving after the final boss in games that offer that option. For just one example, Paper Mario: TTYD lets you do this, and does have a bit of content you can't see until the postgame... but it also offers you no way to refight that boss, and none of its postgame content is actually interesting. In games like that, I tend to prefer keeping my perfect/complete saves in a pre-ending state, because an actually complete file feels useless.

If this is a concern that you have, let me put your mind at ease. Between the fact you can refight any boss whenever you want thanks to B.O.S.S., and the fact there is quite a bit of interesting and challenging postgame content, you don't need to fear saving here. I don't know if this is actually the sort of thing that bothers other people, but I wanted to say it regardless.

We regain control.

Kabbu's Request has been added to our quest log.

We will pick up here next time, and explore what the postgame has to offer.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 13, 2022

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Congratulations on beating the game and thanks for the LP! Looking forward to seeing what the postgame holds.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap: Congrats on beating the game!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Congrats on game clear! Especially on hard, this game can be brutal. And thanks for great coverage of the game, too!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cerise's portrait is broken and at one point someone says "back a cake".

Big congrats!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alxprit posted:

at one point someone says "back a cake".

they're just on Cakestarter

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Thanks everyone! (Although it feels a bit weird to me because I know how far from done this still is, it's still very gratifying so many of you have stuck with me this long.)

Alxprit posted:

Cerise's portrait is broken and at one point someone says "back a cake".

drat it, how do I manage to bugger even this up. Fixed now.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
A real gem of a game, masterfully showcased. Thank you for your perseverence and the great amount of effort you've put into taking us through it all! Looking forward to the postgame and to whatever you have planned beyond.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

This game is great though I never tried any post game stuff, I felt I had a complete experience from the main game. Thank you for showing it off!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know if it wasn't for your commentary I was expecting some Final Tribulation to hit in the middle of the celebrations for One Final Fight.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

73: Lore World Tour (Part 1)

01 - Bug Fables

Welcome back to Bug Fables! (My apologies, I know it's been a while. I've been struggling with energy and finding time to work on this, updates might continue to be a bit slower but I promise not to abandon this project.)

To start things off, now that we're in the postgame, the title screen has reached its final form. Elizant II has joined everyone in the plaza now as well.

Welcome to the postgame. There are a bunch of things to do, and plenty of content still to see, but of course we don't have a lot of direction right now. Today's agenda is to get our bearings and explore, checking up on the kingdoms now that peace has been restored. There's a bunch of new dialogue to see.

On the subject of lore, I also want to take a quick look at the bestiary entries for the Wasp King, because there's some new information we couldn't see before/during the fight.

This first entry tells us his name was actually Hoaxe, and confirms that he was not a wasp. (He is actually a wasp-mimic fly of the family Conopidae, specifically Leopoldius signatus).

There are some hints at a tragic backstory and apparently he didn't have a very pleasant life (we've seen what the Dead Lands are like), which may explain but of course doesn't excuse anything he did. The official Bug Fables artbook actually includes a ~20 page comic dramatising and illustrating his origin story, though it doesn't go into much detail beyond what we can put together from the game, most of which will be in this update.

The second entry doesn't tell us much, except to point once again at the mystery of why the Sapling's power ran out and we were able to beat him. Maybe we'll be able to learn some more about this today.

03 - Where Adventurers Gather

We're going to start off, though, by going to see Artis.

Artis does have a reward for us! Before that, though, Gen and Eri are back here now, and have new dialogue if we talk to them.

(FYI: General note, while I can't say for sure I haven't missed anyone, generally speaking if I don't show myself taking to a character or checking a banter in this update it's because there isn't new text since the last time we saw them.)

Yeah, Gen. You really saved us, Team Snakemouth!
You helped us be a bit more confident too... We'll do our best!

And there's a new banter too:

I thought I had to be the best explorer, but...
Everything's better if you work together!
Gen and Eri helped a lot in their own way.
Correct! This camaraderie is one of exploring's many joys!

This is cute. Character development is always nice to see.

Right, next stop.

Was it too challenging for ya? You deserve a reward! Here, take this!

Come back later when you've bonked some extra hard heads with that medal, will ya?

Heh. Artis is actually lying here, this is the last reward we're going to be getting from him. There are still quite a few challenges ahead of us (including new bosses), but he doesn't give rewards for any of them.

In point of fact, this was actually added in version 1.1, prior to that you didn't get a Hard Mode reward for the final boss either (and only one copy of this medal existed).

A second copy of Miracle Matter is really quite nice, bordering on overkill. I've discussed this medal a bit but haven't shown it off yet; that's still coming, don't you worry. Especially with two of these, though, you can do some really broken things (the strategy is more or less to stack defences to make one of the bugs, usually Kabbu, functionally immortal, then give the other two Miracle Matters and build them as glass cannons; Miracle Matter brings them back on 2 HP, which is well under Last Attack range). Miracle Matter builds are one of the better ways to handle long sequences of fights, which is a thing we'll be interested in very soon.

17 - Ant Kingdom

Right, back to the Plaza. Utter has an alert that there are some new sidequests posted for us; we'll get to that in a moment

First, let's talk to Samira.

Now that we're in the postgame and have heard the final boss and credits themes, we can actually buy all of the songs.

T-thank you! That's all the songs I know...
Y-You supported me all this time! S-So take this. I really appreciate you!

For purchasing all of her songs, Samira gives us another Heart Berry. These are always nice to have, and this is our fifth one! We'll have to decide who to give this to. (As we're in the postgame now and I plan to mess about with our stats at Patton's to show off various things, I'm probably going to stop taking votes for stat-ups.)

We also get an achievement?

The achievement is for purchasing all the songs. Fair enough. As a quick sanity check, let's review how many we're still missing. There are three we can see in this screenshot (#10, #14, #16).

And these two (#01, #02). We have all the others. In total, there are five still to go, and we'll get to them in due time over the course of this postgame.

O-Ok. I'm always here if you want to hear me play.

Now, of course, if we talk to Samira she'll still offer to play songs for us (and will never charge us for anything).

Right, time to check the quest board.

"Confidential" was in the original release, while "Loose Ends", "A New Hope" and "Getting Bored" were added in v1.1 as additional content. These quests are postgame-only and will tie up some loose ends and lead to some of the toughest new content, including the game's true superbosses (in contrast to things like the Bounties). If you're looking for the game to point you in a direction now, these quests are its way of doing that.

We won't be starting them just yet this update, but we'll definitely be tackling these soon.

Also, let's make a quick stop in our house, just to remind us what it looks like. Another fun aspect of this postgame is that there are a bunch of objects that will show up in here as trophies when we complete various challenges. Right now there's only the Card Trophy on the wall, but that will change. (A few more were added in 1.1 to go with the new challenges, also.)

For now, let's go explore and talk to people.

For instance, this guard in the plaza is back to being calm.

Oh dear. The "Seedling Slayer" is still at it. Let's leave her be.

This citizen is grateful for everything we've done.

That's actually it for new dialogue in the above-ground areas. Let's check the tavern?

34 - Dodgy Business

Levi and Celia are still here. Let's check in with them.

...Even so, I've gotten used to this place. I hope she won't mind.

Levi muses on the consequences of the Ladybug Exile ending. They don't seem to have any plans to shut down the tavern.

...She's mellowed out. I hope she can rest easy with the Sapling gone.

Meanwhile, Celia's thinking about the changes in Elizant II.

Now that everything's over, perhaps we should drink some juice with Levi and Celia.
We owe them a round, anyway. Remember when they helped us save Neo?
And they took the hits from Scarlet first!
It's been quite the journey! Heheh... Bea, 5 Berry Juices for us!

There's also this cute banter. Let's kick back and celebrate.

Team Slacker are hanging out here too. We're not going to talk to them right now, because it'll start their quest, but we'll definitely be back. (They won't be here unless you've defeated all the Bounties, that's a prerequisite for this.)

Also, I don't think I've explicitly pointed this out before, but Tristan's here in the background behind Shades' stall.

Anyway, that's all here for now, let's move on to the next destination.

Let's head toward the palace.

Maki is here, but we're going to ignore him for now because talking to him would start the quest. Again, don't worry, we'll get to that in due time.

For the sake of my friend, I'll become an even stronger guard!

This guard has new dialogue.

18 - In the Court of the Ant Queen

Right, the palace. There's a bit to see in here.

Even so, the Queen seems more determined than ever. Under her rule, prosperity awaits the Ant Kingdom!

The Lieutenant seems optimistic about the future.

As a reminder, the War Room is over here on the right side, and this is where Rebecca's waiting for us. We'll be back to talk to her once it's time to do her quest.

Into the throne room.

The guard here has new dialogue again.

Also, looks like they've repaired all of the windows!

Let's talk to Neolith.

It's a shame you couldn't study the Sapling...
I won't say I'm not disappointed... but just proving its existence is a great discovery!
Thanks for everything, Team Snakemouth!

He's taking a positive view of things, even if we weren't able to learn as much as he hoped.

May your explorations always bear fruit!

Zaryant has some praise and well-wishes for us as well.

And, of course, we have to talk to Elizant.

...Yeah. But we dare say you've come close to matching her grace.
...Thank you. I will take those words to heart.
Mother has earned her rest. I pray she will always watch over us.
We hope you'll watch over Bugaria for years to come, too.

This is sweet.

After everything, we feel kind of bad for misjudging the Queen.
It was understandable. You woke up in such a different world!
And she earned your respect anyway, so it's fine!
...We suppose. We'll make up for those doubts with our service.
(Still, Elizant I... We will miss you.)

We can get some further thoughts from our team on this in the banter. This is nice to see.

On to our next stop.

...Which is the mines. There's a bit to see there, and then also of course that can be our hub for checking out the rest of the world.

There's a bit of new dialogue to see here, and then this can be our hub for checking out the rest of the world.

Apparently the mine development is all finished now.

Can't believe Nessa slept through all that ruckus, though. I swear she only works when no one is looking.

A few of the miners have new comments.

I'm so glad we're done working there...

I don't remember if we've seen this one before.

Also, this is worth highlighting. We have the full list of shortcut destinations available from this person as well. It's pretty nice to have an easy route to Patton's, among other things.

Let's head into the back room.

Diana's in here, just stuffing her face with berries.

Awesome! This will make travelling a breeze.
Indeed! It was tiring work, but the Queen seems satisfied.
Oh yeah, thanks for giving me all those berries earlier. I feel a bit bad about asking you for them...
So here, these should help us stay even!

Well, I'm just going to stay here and rest a while. Don't know what the next work is, but gotta be at full power for it!
See you around, folks!
Enjoy your rest, Diana!

The first time we talk to her, she gives us back 100 berries. I'm not sure whether or how this scene changes if you didn't buy all the tunnels (or never paid her at all). That might be something to test on a future playthrough.

A pleasure waking you up...

If we talk to her again, we get this.

Diana's finally done. How bittersweet.
I'll miss finding her across the world!
I'm glad the tunnels are done, though!

And, of course, there's a banter.

Right, let's check out all the familiar locations and see who else has new things to say. First up, the Golden Settlement.

26 - Golden Lands

There's not much new to see in the main part of town, but if we come to this east side, Tanjerin and Cerise are here. Before we talk to them, there's also a new banter.

Ahh... You know, now that everything's over...
We should build a vacation house!
Isn't that a bit much? We're not THAT rich...
We get the hero discount! We should try it out!
Hehehe... I'm so excited!

Right then.

Yay! Cerise found me!
Oh. So that's who "Tanjy" was.
Glad they found each other in the end!
I thought it was obvious.
Why'd you come find me anyway?

Oh! Well, I'm much stronger now, so I can head back. But which way's east again...?
Uhhhh...
Oh no. They're both not too smart. Should we help them? We could see their homeland for ourselves...

Yeah.

I don't even know what to say at this point.

We're very glad that Tanjy's horn healed... and these two reunited safely.
I... I still don't know how that's even possible.
Maybe he just ate a bunch of Tangy Berries.
Okay, but where did he get so many? They're rare and expensive.
Maybe he has a stash of them in his house.
That explains why it's boarded up like that.
But that doesn't explain how he got so many in the first place!

Also, there's a new banter. This is just silly, I don't even know. (I guess it's a good thing his horn... fixed itself... somehow?)

Also, let's just quickly notice that Jayde isn't here any more, she's presumably gone home to the Wasp Kingdom.

While I was here, I also realised we never came back to the Power Plant after beating the Broodmother, so we'll check that right quick.

The bee soldiers here all have a few comments on how the cleanup went and the preparations they're making so nothing like this happens again.

56 - Lands Untamed

Also, at the other end of the tunnel, the ant miners are relieved we're now at peace with the Wasps. (More on that once we get to the Wasp Kingdom, of course.)

Suit yourselves.

Also, if we step outside, Riz is here, and will offer us a shortcut to the Fishing Village if we want to go there. This can be convenient. (He'll technically be here as soon as we've defeated and then reconciled with him, but I don't think I've shown this before.)

I stopped by the Wizard's Tower, too, but he didn't have anything new to say.

63 - Forsaken Lands

There isn't a great segue, but let's check in with Patton next.

And I've got the paperwork to prove it. SEE!? Witness this Bugarian Certificate!
Congratulations, Patton! I am glad to see the Queen repaid your help.
Yeah. What's next for you?
More science, of course!
You're, uh... not gonna move? This isn't part of the Ant Kingdom...
Aha! You would be wrong there, miss!
It's all in the certificate. This plot of land was gifted to the Ant Kingdom by the Termites!
What a gift...

W-Woohoo...
Yay...

Patton's exile has been resolved, if only on a technicality. This always amuses me. (Did the Termites just want to wash their hands of him too?)

Anyway, he'll still be here offering his services whenever we want them.

Next up, Defiant Root and the Bee Kingdom.

37 - Defiant Root

Let's have a look around here.

Maybe I will finally take the time to visit sometime.

But to be honest, things are kinda boring now.

Locke and Dran both have comments on the new state of affairs.

...If you're expecting free drinks, tough luck.

As does the bartender in here.

Let's check down the well too.

Let's see if I can patch this crack...

Will's down here now, and seems to be planning to block off the shortcut into the bandits' hideout.

That's some devotion to this well...
Shall we visit the hideout before the shortcut's fixed?

There's also this banter.

I did actually look around in the hideout, but there's nothing new to see there. I was actually surprised to find the patrolling bandits were still hostile, and Astotheles is nowhere to be found. (I thought we'd be able to talk to him, but I think I was confusing this with his appearance in the epilogue.)

Back to Defiant Root.

Fuzzo has something new to say too, but nobody else in the commercial district does.

Let's head up to the Bee Kingdom next.

40 - High Above, Bee Kingdom

We'll go into the throne room first.

Um, no problem. What a passionate response...

This guard is very enthusiastic now.

While this one's still talking about the Power Plant incident.

Also, Aebees is here now?

I guess this is an improvement over drinking herself insensate in Defiant Root.

I don't remember her ever being so... uh, meek. Meek's the word.
Something quite traumatic must've occurred.
Well, she's still willing to keep going. That's worth respect.

Our party discuss it a bit more in the banter. (I'm not sure why Kabbu treats this as so speculative, we know what happened. She wasn't able to defend the gate and got overwhelmed when the Wasps attacked.) For better or worse, this is the last update we'll get on her story.

Queen Bianca also has something new to say if we talk to her.

Your path may have been unconventional, but I am proud of you.

Aww.

Right, let's have a look around the rest of the hive.

For one thing, Zasp is over here by the clothing stall.

Thank you, Team Snakemouth. I owe this peace to you.
Zasp... You're welcome!

He doesn't have a whole lot to say, but it's still nice to see he's doing okay.

Zasp's a cool dude. He could do better.
Could he? He looks quite content.
I dunno... Mothiva could be nicer to him, or something...
Eh, it's their personal life... Let's leave them be.

There's also a new banter. I've spoken before about the vaguely abusive dynamics they have, and the game doesn't let us get any resolution beyond telling us Zasp is happy this way (which I can't help finding a bit uncomfortable).

Mothiva's hanging out inside the shop instead.

That's what helping defeat the Wasp King does for your brand!
...Good for you.
Uh huh...

She doesn't have a whole lot to say. It's not too surprising that she's milking this for everything it's worth. The banter's a bit more interesting:

Bleh. It feels like everyone learned something... EXCEPT Mothiva! Even Zasp's cool now!
She's probably learned something. She's just too proud to admit it.
She DID help us cross the Giant's Lair...
She did it for the fame! Not to be nice!
Such shallow motives would not have been enough to face those beasts.
You could be right...

I feel like everyone's giving her a bit too much credit here, but maybe it's the best way to keep her from interfering in the future?

I don't think this is actually new dialogue from the shopkeep, but it's funny when Mothiva's literally standing right there.

I'm also not sure if this is new dialogue from this little bee, but if it is, it could be a kind of commentary on how easy it is to forget the past during peacetime.

Also, let's not forget B.O.S.S. is here. We're going to be spending a lot of time on this soon enough.

For now, though' we're done with the Bee Kingdom.

Metal Island is up next.

72 - Summer Holiday at the Metal Island (TM)

This person has new dialogue. I don't think we can actually face her in the tournament, though, as far as I know this is just fluff.

Great, the more money comes in, the better!

This businessperson has new things to say, too, though it's not particularly substantive.

Over here to the west, we can now find Bub and Rob.

I can't wait to visit the Ant Plaza!

They're both excited by the end of the exile.

These two may not be certified explorers, but I feel like they're comrades!
They saw everything, without being able to fight! It's nuts!
We hope they can hang around the Ant Plaza soon...

There's also this banter if we check for either of them. This one's cute.

We've talked to this old salesbug before, but let's do so again.

I don't have anything else to sell, but you lot remind me of this fly lad I met once.
Poor boy went crazy over an old crown I fished out of the lake. Paid me hundreds of berries for that junk.
I wonder what became of him after that... Last I heard he headed north, or something...
Oh, don't mind me. Just going back to my memories! Go on, you lot! Have fun with all that stuff!

Yeah. This is how Hoaxe got hold of his crown. Seems like the salesman didn't know what it was, though.

Nothing else to see here. Our submarine automatically follows us to whatever docks we go to; may as well get in and stop by the pier.

23 - The Sailors' Pier

There are a few people we can talk to here.

(The sea didn't do anything...)

A couple of the sailors in here have new comments to make.

Someday... Someday I'll rebuild my dear ship!

The captain out here is determined to start working on a new ship.

The Wasp King's been toppled, but it won't bring his boat back...
That is the reality of conflict... but he hasn't given up!
If it's his dream, he'll get to sail again!

Also, there's a new banter for him, where our party muse on the fact that defeating the Wasp King hasn't fixed everything. It's nice to see a game acknowledge things like that.

We are always open for business! Come back anytime!

Also, this is weird, the dialogue at the food stall here actually changes! They still offer the same menu, though.

That's all there is to see at the pier.

Next up, the Termite Kingdom.

One of the ant miners has a new line here.

64 - Termite Capitol

Most of the termites don't have anything new to say, but the royals do.

Thank you... for helping us.

Please, do feel at home in our Kingdom!

Neither of them has a whole lot to say, but it's still nice to see they've warmed up to us.

This isn't new, just something I forgot to show earlier... we can actually see a conversation if we check the Mothiva poster.

What's THIS poster doing here!?
Kabbu, you said they were isolationist.
It's, uh, complicated. You can get in, so long as you're not an Ant.
But it's still a long process. Her idol status could've helped?
I don't get politics...

It feels a bit weird to show this scene now when clearly their border policy might be changing, we were obviously meant to see this on an earlier visit.

We can also revisit the Colosseum.

Too bad. I'm sure many want to see you return to the ring!

We can now participate in battles again if we want. There isn't an entry fee or anything. You know what, we may as well, let's see what changes.

I knew I could count on you! Head through the left door once you're ready!

Let's see if they are up for the task!

The Colosseum sequence is broadly similar to last time, a lot of this will look very familiar, but it's been a bit streamlined and there's new dialogue in places.

The cheers are all exactly the same, including the crowd not liking us at first.

Time to let off some steam!

Nothing too spectacular, but our team acknowledge they've done this before.

They shall face fierce beasts from the Forbidden Lands!

Nothing special here.

This is exactly the same enemy group we fought before.

And once again, we get cheers.

You will now face Cross and Poi! The bravest of our border guards!

We've learned from last time. We'll give it our all!
We've grown too. Be ready!

It's cute to see some camaraderie growing here.

Despite what they say, Cross and Poi are no different to fight than last time we saw them.

N-Not again...
Good fight. Let's do it again sometime.

They cheer us again (with the same cheer as our first time here).

My favorite part!

It loves fighting, don't feel sorry for it! Let's go!

This time, there are no interruptions, and we actually get to fight the Primal Weevil again. It hasn't changed since last time.

That was a great show! Do come fight whenever!

That's all there is to it.

Come back again if you want more berries!

So, yeah, we can fight here as many times as we want, and each time we win Bet will give us 50 berries. There are better ways to grind berries, but this isn't bad if you enjoy it considering it's completely free to participate.

This is also the only way to refight Cross and Poi, and the Primal Weevil: for whatever reason, they don't appear in B.O.S.S. (either in single mode or rush mode), so you have to fight them here instead.

Also, I was curious what would happen if we lost here, so I tried again and threw a fight. During the main story it's a game over, but it actually isn't now!

Oh well. There is always next time!

We see this dialogue (I'd guess this is Hector speaking, but I can't be certain).

If you want to retry, just talk to me.

And then Bet just mocks us for losing (retroactively not betting on us), doesn't give us anything, and lets us try again. I wonder how many players have seen this dialogue?

With that, we're done with the Termite Kingdom for now.

Let's head to the Wasp Kingdom next, via the Far Grasslands. That should definitely be interesting.

I'm splitting the update here, as the character limit is fighting me again. Back momentarily.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 9, 2023

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

73: Lore World Tour (Part 2)

56 - Lands Untamed

The side entrance has been boarded up, but surely we wouldn't need to use it anyway now.

Also, all the Wasp soldiers are friendly now and will talk to us! This one doesn't have too much to say, though.

A Was- Oh, right.
Old habits just don't leave, huh.
I hope the Kingdoms can leave this past struggle behind and form a bond!

We'll see this banter for most of the soldiers here. I like this one; it's realistic that this could all be a bit awkward still.

As we circle around, there are more people here (including a Roach!) and the main entrance is indeed open.

Before that, though, there's also a soldier on this side.

I-It was nothing, good soldier!
Nonsense! We are free once more! We will never forget it!

She's really enthusiastic about thanking us, which makes sense but definitely feels surprising at first.

Let's head south first before we go inside.

This gate is open now too, and we can talk to the guard here.

...Enjoy your time in the Wasp Kingdom.

She's also weirdly nice.

Even though we're at peace, this border is... not welcoming, to put it in plain words.
You can tell they haven't liked visitors for long. It's like that poster outside my room!
Let's leave it at that.

Right, back here.

After so long, we can freely enter and leave the Wasp Kingdom.
Some are still on edge, but that's pretty normal.
Queen Vanessa's got a lotta stuff to fix...

There's a general banter here too, to start with.

We can talk to this Roach too.

Just like that, Roaches come back into the fold.
Neo was raving to me earlier! There's so much we can learn from them!
Hehe. And they get to learn from us too!

As well as see this banter celebrating cultural exchange. I love everyone's enthusiasm.

Also, this guard will wave us on in.

Let's go!

60 - Wasp Kingdom

The music in here hasn't changed, but somehow I find it hits differently now.

It's bustling around here.
Well, there's lots to do!
It seems we cannot enter their residential area any more.
Given the state it was in, it may need some repair...

Also, there's a new banter. As this hints, some of the areas we explored will no longer be accessible going forward. (Thankfully, this doesn't render anything personally missable, outside of that one Dark Cherry we dug up in the prison cell.)

Let's have a look around!

There's a common theme to what the soldiers have to say.

So, what's Wasp culture like?
Y'know, we're not sure...
Because they've been closed off for so long, I figured they were very violent...
Doesn't seem like it, right?
Hopefully we can learn more about them, now that there's peace.

We can also see this banter. It's a good point; we really don't know anything about what the Wasps were like before the mind control... or, for that matter, how long that control was in place.

We see you've come back to your homeland.
Yup, nothing beats home! ...When it's at peace, anyway.
You gonna keep selling stew? It's super good!
Yup. It really is my passion!
It will be our pleasure to keep eating it!
Hehehe. Help yourselves, my heroes!

Jayde's back home, and it seems like she's making cooking a permanent occupation now. (Guess Queen Vanessa will have to find a new janitor.)

Aw... well, I'll be around. Come by anytime if you want some!

If we talk to her again, she will indeed offer to sell us the stew. Her price is 20 berries apiece now, which is perfectly fair (it's nowhere near as good a deal as the 7 berries she initially charged us, but even so). At this point I usually don't feel the need for them, but if you like them or are feeling nostalgic, here's where you get more.

Hngh, now that everything's over, we should probably tell her...
And lose the discount!? No way!
Kabbu. At this point, we're actual heroes. Is there a point?
It's a matter of principle...!

We can also check the banter and see our team debate whether to tell her we're not the Bug Rangers.

There are a few more soldiers on the right side we can talk to, who'll give us an update on the state of the restoration work.

Back here, we can find Bumble, Rebelle, and Rebelle's partner.

I gotta start thinking of moving, though. Can't be a third wing forever!

Nice to know they're all doing well, I suppose.

Let's head upstairs.

Fuutes is over here. Uh, no comment.

I'm glad peace has come to the Wasp Kingdom. Otherwise, I'd... worry for her.
Hopefully she doesn't get thrown into prison again...

There's also this banter.

We can also talk to these two guards.

Let's head into the throne room.

This room brings back memories, although not very pleasant ones...
It's ok. We can make better ones now!
Ever the optimist... but we agree.

New banter for the area.

Although, truth be told, we're benefitting way more from it...

There's a Roach here too.

We're glad our rulers' words weren't empty. The roaches have found where to settle.
Who WOULDN'T wanna take 'em in!? They're the long lost bugs!
Well, when you put it that way...

Also, this banter got a laugh out of me.

These two guards say the same thing.

I can't get used to them being all nice now...
Eh, give it time. Took us some to get used to you too.

Also, this banter's pretty funny.

That's Roy on the left with the quest marker; we'll leave him alone for now, though we'll be back soon enough. We can check the banter for him, though.

I do not recognize this fellow...
Maybe he was out doing stuff while the King attacked.
What a day to miss out on...

Sure. (We indeed couldn't have seen him before.)

And thank you, Leif. For only freezing me, and not something worse...

General Fuff is surprisingly reasonable when he's not under mind control.

Fuff's a pretty chill guy, huh.
Hopefully we can leave General Ultimax behind, and work together from now on.
He doesn't seem to resent us, thankfully.

That's nice to see.

Let's talk to Queen Vanessa.

Nah. You saved us with the Flame Brooch!
Speaking of... we've come to return it.

You're too kind. I was fully prepared to entrust it to you.
It's the Wasp Kingdom's heirloom. Not something for us to own.
...Thank you. But it could still prove useful in your journey.
Might you protect it just a bit longer? There's no rush.
Queen Vanessa...! Very well. You can count on us.
You've reminded me... This isn't much, but please accept it in the name of our recovering Kingdom.

W-Woah! WOAH!!! T-Thanks!
Good luck with everything, Queen. You've got your work cut out for you.
I'll be alright. And I know I can count on you if anything happens.
Indeed! Don't hesitate to come to us!

This is a nice little scene.

If we talk to her again, this is all she'll have to say.

Queen Vanessa has retaken control of the kingdom.
We may never know how the Wasp King just hypnotized everyone... creepy stuff.
Well, everyone's back to normal, right? It's all that matters!

And here's the banter.

That's all to see in the Wasp Kingdom for now...

For our last stop, let's check up on the Roaches.

78 - The Giant's Lair

We've seen a lot of them out and about, but the Roaches' village is far from abandoned! Plenty of them are still here.

First up, this one's taken over the shop and has all new inventory. Amber was running this last time we were here.

And we can finally explore other lands... I need some savings to travel around.
Your kingdom deals in "berries", right? Help me out here!
If you want to buy something, press (A) near it.

We can also check the banter for her.

Even in such a wasteland, some find a way to be fashionable.
You gotta find SOME joy with all those monsters...
Making the best out of these conditions is commendable! And that goes for all Roaches!

Let's see what she's selling.

Magic Seed (17 berries)
Mystery Berry (23 berries)
Flame Rock (14 berries)

We can now buy as many Mystery Berries or Flame Rocks as we might want, if we have some use in mind for them. That's convenient.

And you speak of fancy chefs? Wonder what that's like...

Some of the roaches here have new things to say, like this one who's fascinated by the idea of high cuisine.

It's not quite an artifact, but maybe it should've been sealed away rather than tossed out...

This is new information! Or at least it confirms some of our speculation, anyway. The Ancient Crown was definitely a product of old roach magic. (Why they threw it into the sea for that merchant to fish up will not be explained.)

I'm going to read into this a bit and assume he knows this because the Roaches retrieved and examined the crown.

When our ancestors took the sapling away, the other Roaches tried to recreate it...
I can only imagine it didn't end well, and I don't pity them. They had it coming.

This Roach apparently knows a bit about the Snakemouth lab, though this is the extent of what he'll say about it.

The Elder's house is empty...

Oh, that explains it. Let's head that way and see what she's up to.

There's still a roach standing guard out here...

Guess they won't be calming down for a while.

This is interesting, and definitely worth keeping in mind.

He still wants to scout after all that!?
It's not like ANOTHER mad king's gonna come through.
Yet he scouts knowing it's still possible! Commendable!

There's a cute banter for him, too.

Indeed, heading west, we'll quickly find there are still enemies here. Although now that we've completed the game, Bug Me Not! will work on them if we choose to use it. (Notably, if we go into the Dead Lands below, it does not work on any of the Dead Landers.)

We'll just run through here. This area is much the same as we left it, though the frantic music no longer plays, just the Giant's Lair theme.

Right, we're back here...

When we're not being interrupted by cutscenes, it's a lot easier to appreciate just how enormous this room is.

Also, here's the Roach Elder, over by the... not the Sapling, whatever tree the Wasp King turned into.

Even though it was supposed to be everlasting... The sapling still wilted.
Were our ancestors wrong, then? Did they not manage to create an eternal plant?
Umm... I mean, it is pretty dark here, and the sapling was stuffed inside that thingy.
Mhm. We suppose the sapling still required sunlight, despite it being undying otherwise.
I see. That would make sense.
It makes me wonder, would the King then have been unstoppable if you fought him in daylight?
He did burn through the sapling's power fast, and that in the end consumed him.
But would he have been truly unstoppable outside?
All in all, we were lucky to have that happen.
If that was indeed a possibility, it's great that we managed to stop him when we could.
Still... did our ancestors really not consider that option?
...Sorry for keeping you around. There's so much to think about...

This is really interesting. I jumped the gun a bit to discuss this during the finale, I forgot this scene was here to explicitly tell us all of this rather than just implying it. Still, it's pretty interesting, and I like that they don't give us all the answers.

Although there is one interesting detail to be found in external sources. According to Mar, what the Wasp King ate was in fact intended to be a seed or nut rather than a leaf. (The sprite's a bit ambiguous and still looks more like a leaf to me, but I can squint and see it as an acorn.) The Sapling might have gone to seed (possibly in response to being cut off from sunlight), and the only known records of the Sapling's effects referred to eating leaves. I'm not sure whether or not I prefer this interpretation, but regardless, I'd be remiss not to mention it.

If we talk to the Elder again, this is all she'll have to say.

We can wander around, but there's nothing else we can interact with.

...The magic that we felt here once is now gone.
So the sapling and the King are truly...
...Come on, let's look around for a bit.

We can also see this banter here, but no matter how much we look, there's nothing to see. Let's get out of here.

Let's finish up our world tour by heading to the Wild Swamplands for Kabbu's request.

The quickest way to get there now is to take the shortcut to the Wasp Kingdom and cut around behind it.

57 - Swamps Where Dreams Drown

And we're right here. Interacting with this will start a cutscene.

15 - The One Left Behind (Leif's Theme)

Even though it's only because of your sacrifice...
My new friends cannot replace you. But...

Bit, you would've thought Leif was so cool!
Master, you would've scolded Vi so much!
These meetings that cannot happen... I will keep them in my heart.
...I'll come back to visit. Rest easy, now.

This is a big weight off my chest!
...No problem.
Let's go. Even with that Beast gone, this is no place to lounge around.

It's just a sweet scene, where Kabbu builds a little monument and takes some time to mourn his friends. (It may seem like a weird choice that Leif's theme plays, but the melancholy tone is fitting, and the title "The One Left Behind" could just as easily apply to Kabbu's situation here...)

(Everyone, I hope you'll keep watching over us.)
(...If only I could have saved you. Curses...)
(Are you really proud of me? I can only pray it is true.)
(My friends... I won't ever forget our time together. Rest in peace.)

There's also a new banter here now. I'll let this speak for itself.

For now, we'll head back to a save point and leave things here for today. (Whew, I can already tell this is going to be a long one.) I hope you enjoyed this world tour and status update on all of Bugaria!

Next time... I think I've been putting off the Cave of Trials long enough.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Seeing Bugaria opening up, establishing relations with the wasps and roaches, and people generally moving around and moving forward with their lives is so wholesome.

Kabbu having closure over the loss of his friends had me misty eyed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The other day I was thinking about where this LP went, and I'm glad to see it back. The rest of it shouldn't be quite as time consuming or as difficult as this world tour for dialogue, I think, so I hope it will continue to get easier.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Torrannor posted:

Seeing Bugaria opening up, establishing relations with the wasps and roaches, and people generally moving around and moving forward with their lives is so wholesome.

Kabbu having closure over the loss of his friends had me misty eyed.

I really do enjoy that it lets us see all of this, and shows the world starting to move on. It might be a bit too optimistic (I'm certainly not quiet about criticising the tendency in stories to portray problems as solveable by eliminating an individual villain), but I think it works here and fits the tone this game has generally been setting.

The Kabbu scene always gets me too. It's hard to find much to say about it, but I'm glad they thought to include it. (Honestly, I wasn't sure whether I should do it in this update, there would've been a decent case to use it as the final moment of the LP but I thought it would be a better thematic fit here.)

Alxprit posted:

The other day I was thinking about where this LP went, and I'm glad to see it back. The rest of it shouldn't be quite as time consuming or as difficult as this world tour for dialogue, I think, so I hope it will continue to get easier.

I'm really sorry about this. I normally try to give some indication when I'm running into delays; this time I just got overwhelmed with a lot of work and family things, and struggled to find the energy to work on the LP. "Too tired today, maybe I'll work on it tomorrow", repeat a few times and the next thing I knew a month had gone by. I'm trying to get ahead while I have a bit of time off for the holidays, but I don't know how successful that will be.

I'm not sure if the coming updates will be easier or not; there's a lot less dialogue left to transcribe, but there are definitely going to be some unique challenges covering a lot of this content. I might need to figure out how to do voice commentary for the boss rushes, for instance.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

74: Trials & Tangy Tribulations (Part 1)

Last time, we went on a world tour in search of new conversations and lore. Today... today is going to be mostly about combat, because we're going to tackle the Cave of Trials (and also experience quite possibly the most obscure and hilarious secret in the game).

We have a bit of setup to do first, though.

72 - Summer Holiday at the Metal Island (TM)

We need to head to Metal Island and see Skirby.

As a reminder, Skirby sells Tangy Berries for 40 berries each.

I'm going to buy four. Just let me hang this gun on the wall for now, I'll explain it soon enough.

06 - Outskirts

Let's head to the Cave of Trials. I'm going to walk there from the Outskirts to remind everyone where it is, since it's been a while since we found it or thought about it at all.

In the first screen east of the Explorers' Association, we go south and head down these stairs.

The cave entrance is here.

The Cave of Trials! We discussed how it works a bit when we first got access after Chapter 4, but let's do a quick recap. The cave will present us with fifty simulated battles in a row, divided into five waves of 10 with escalating difficulty. We're given two free full heals, but we can only use those after finishing each tenth fight.

So, I think it's time for a whole new build! Let's move some medals around.

A quick note on Hard Mode: if you're only after the rewards here and not interested in the challenge, you can take it off without any penalty. I see a lot of people do this. I won't be, obviously, but I thought it might be good to remind anyone playing along that they have that option. Also, if all you care about is achievements, you can stop after 40 (though again, we won't be doing this).

I still haven't removed any of our HP or TP Pluses. We probably don't need all of the HP, honestly, I could have recovered a few MP here but it's fine to have a safety net.

This should look different!

It's Leif's turn to shine, because his abilities really help us be efficient here. The core idea is to boost his attack as much as possible (including getting him low on HP for Last Attack), and start each battle off with Icefall for major spread damage. A lot of enemies are even weak to ice, which makes this even more convenient. When the tougher enemies start showing up, we can spend a bit more TP and use Ice Rain, or Frozen Drill if they have high defence.

You may notice we're using Victory Buzz, but not Triumph Buzz. Getting HP recovery after fights would make it too hard to keep Leif at 4 HP or fewer, so we don't want that, but recovering 4 TP after each battle is exactly what we want since it effectively makes that first Icefall free. (If you aren't using Last Attack, Triumph Buzz is a good choice here though.)

If battles happen to go longer than two turns, TP Core will help us keep up with any other skills we want to use.

(Kabbu's keeping some tanking ability with Super Block+ and Back Support, and Vi's keeping Heal Plus. Their job will mainly be to stay alive, and relay to Leif if they don't have anything else to do.)

For all that I derided it before because it doesn't affect Frigid Coffin, putting Status Booster on Leif is still a good idea if you're planning to use Icefall. This way, we have a decent chance of freezing anything we don't kill right away, and that can buy us some time to recover more TP (like with the Meditation medals I've put on Kabbu).

Kabbu also gets Strong Start. We could give this to Vi, too; the important thing is that it's no longer on Leif, because we don't want him taking doubled exhaustion penalties as our primary attacker.

Also, Leif gets Hard Charge, to give some control over his HP and make it easier to get him into Last Attack range. (Our Leif has 14 max HP right now, which isn't ideal, but at least means he gets into range with two Hard Charges.)

I'm not sure why I left Status Relay on, it has good utility with Hard Charge but I'm not actually going to be using it. The same goes for ADBP Enhancer, it's a good medal but it doesn't really help us with this setup and I think I just left it out of habit. I'm not going to claim this is fully optimised by any means.

Spy Specs is going to look unusual, considering how diligently we've been spying on enemies. It's here for a very specific reason, which will become apparent in due time. (Let's hang this one on the wall next to the Tangy Berries.)

Also, I went and reduced Leif's HP to 4. We won't be healed automatically at the start, so we can take advantage and go in with Last Attack already active. (This is trivial to do: go into a battle and use Hard Charge twice, then run away.)

Let's take a look at our items too.

First up, we have these four Tangy Berries at the top of our inventory. There is a very well-hidden secret here, which activates under either of two conditions:

(1) We have a Tangy Berry in the 4th slot from the top of our inventory.
(2) We have at least 3 Tangy Berries in our inventory, anywhere.

Just to be safe, I've gotten four berries, which satisfies both conditions. I've seen a lot of slightly different explanations online, but I did some pretty thorough testing.

(What does this do? I'm not telling yet.)

It's a lot more reliable to do this via the 3 berries method. If you're trying to do it with slot 4, it's easy to mess up because of how the inventory works: when you use an item, the one that actually gets consumed is always the closest to the top, no matter which you actually pick from the menu. (So if you're using the slot 4 method, you really need to tie up the slots above it with items of a type you have no intention of using, or you'll mess it up.)

If you've forgotten how to move items around in the inventory, you do it by holding (Y).

I've also made three Berry Smoothies. As a reminder, you can either get these as a random outcome from cooking Mystery Berries, or by combining a Tangy Berry with Dark Cherries.

If we want to make use of Ice Rain (and to a lesser extent Frozen Drill), these really help keep up with the costs. We could probably get by without them or use Crisbee Donuts instead, if we really had to, but they'll be useful.

Right then, preparations are all complete.

Let's do this.

Click me for video!

Holographic enemies flicker into existence. (There's a fun visual effect, if you're watching the video: these simulated enemies' sprites occasionally flicker and glitch out a little.)

04 - FIGHT!
55 - Team, It's Getting Serious!

(Putting both battle themes here, you'll hear them at various points depending on which enemies are in each given encounter.)

Battle 1 of 50, let's go!

From there, we go right into battle. There's not a lot of fluff to this.

The first battle is four Seedlings, two flying and two grounded.

This fight is obviously not a challenge, especially with our setup. I'm just showing this as proof of concept; I'm going to gloss over the vast majority of the combat here and just talk about any highlights. If you're interested in the full battles, it's all in the video (I think I show off some reasonably interesting and clever play in places, and also I made some blunders toward the end that might be entertaining.)

Once we finish the battle, the Roach hologram briefly congratulates us (the ? here is just an amusing coincidence from the deliberately glitchy-looking text, it's normally a !).

Battle 2 of 50, let's go!

Then we're immediately thrown into the next one.

Two Inichas and a Jellyshroom.

Battle 3 of 50, let's go!

Zombiant, Jellyshroom, Inichas.

Battle 4 of 50, let's go!

Three Midges.

Battle 5 of 50, let's go!

An Acornling and two Numbnails.

Battle 6 of 50, let's go!

Midge, Acornling, Weevil.

Battle 7 of 50, let's go!

Weevil, Chomper, Venus' Bud.

One thing that does quickly become apparent is that some of these formations are new. Many of them are unique to the Cave of Trials and combine enemies in ways we haven't seen before.

Battle 8 of 50, let's go!

Seedling, Underling, Flowerling.

This is another new formation, I don't think we've seen this particular combination of the Seedling family before.

Battle 9 of 50, let's go!

Cactiling, Psicorp, Thief.

Battle 10 of 50, let's go!

Burglar, Bandit, Thief.

One other thing pointing out is that the sequences of 10 battles aren't chapter-themed or anything. We started out with Seedlings and other Chapter 1 enemies here, but it very quickly started introducing things from later chapters (Flowerlings don't appear until Chapter 6 but they're still in this opening sequence, for instance). There's a general sense of difficulty progression (both between and within the sets), but that's about the only pattern.

You deserve something for your efforts!
Once you are done, check near the platform, you should find something of interest.

When we complete the tenth battle, we get this message. The prize for clearing this wave is a Tangy Berry, but they don't hand it to us, it appears on the floor and we can pick it up afterward. (I suspect this is because it'd get messy when our inventory gets restored at the end of the trial.)

Incidentally, if you do happen to lose a battle in here, it isn't game over, and you still get to keep any prizes you earned prior to that point. So there really is no reason not to keep pressing forward and see how far you manage to get.

We're also offered the option to heal before continuing. We don't need this right now. (And with a strategy like this, healing is a bit double-edged because we'd have to get Leif back to low HP again.) On we go!

Battle 11 of 50, let's go!

Underling, Arrow Worm, Psicorp.

Battle 12 of 50, let's go!

Bee-Boop, Arrow Worm, Psicorp.

Once again, this is a combination we haven't seen before, the robotic enemies from the Honey Factory are never seen outside that area in the wild.

Battle 13 of 50, let's go!

Two Denmuki.

Battle 14 of 50, let's go!

Two Bee-Boops and a Security Turret.

Battle 15 of 50, let's go!

An Inichas and two Denmuki.

This one's kind of neat, it's combining caterpillar enemies from different parts of the world.

Battle 16 of 50, let's go!

Three Abomihoneys.

Battle 17 of 50, let's go!

Two Thieves and a Bandit.

Battle 18 of 50, let's go!

Two Krawlers and a Warden, all in sand form.

Battle 19 of 50, let's go!

Haunted Cloth, Warden, Krawler (sand form again).

Battle 20 of 50, let's go!

Two Chompers, a Chomper Brute, and a Wild Chomper.

This is another combination we wouldn't have seen, Chomper Brutes aren't found outside the hidden cave, and Wild Chompers only appear in the Far Grasslands.

If you're not ready to deal with the big pools of HP, the Chomper Brutes can be an unpleasant surprise here, and definitely might throw you off your rhythm.

You deserve something for your efforts!
Once you are done, check near the platform, you should find something of interest.

Once again, we're told the reward will be on the ground after we finish. For this wave, we get Dark Cherries.

And again, we're offered the opportunity to heal, though I don't want to. Let's keep going.

Battle 21 of 50, let's go!

Two Mantidflies and a Flowerling.

Battle 22 of 50, let's go!

Two Thieves and a Jumping Spider.

Another new combination, the spiders and bandit enemies never shared a habitat.

Battle 23 of 50, let's go!

Inichas, Denmuki, and two Madesphy.

This one can be nasty if you're unprepared for it; Madesphy have that party-wide attack that inflicts Numb and can easily kill you out of nowhere if you're not careful. (Also, it's another "hey look at all the caterpillars" one.)

Battle 24 of 50, let's go!

Two Leafbug Ninja and a Leafbug Archer.

Battle 25 of 50, let's go!

A Leafbug Clubber and two Flowerlings.

Battle 26 of 50, let's go!

Leafbug Clubber, Leafbug Ninja, Leafbug Archer.

Battle 27 of 50, let's go!

Belostoss and Water Strider.

Battle 28 of 50, let's go!

Ironnail, Plumpling, Flowerling.

Battle 29 of 50, let's go!

A Jumping Spider and two Mimic Spiders.

Here's another new combination. It makes a certain kind of sense since they're all spiders, but these enemies' habitats don't overlap areas normally.

Battle 30 of 50, let's go!

Acornling, Plumpling, Underling, Flowerling.

It's another big Seedling family grouping (though, of course, all the types at once wouldn't fit into a single battle).

Here is something for your efforts.

This time, we're just handed the reward directly. For completing the third wave, we get a Defense Exchange medal (our second copy, finally). If you're leaning toward defence/tanking builds, it might be worth coming here earlier in the game to get this (even if you don't plan to complete the trials in one go).

On we go.

Battle 31 of 50, let's go!

Two Jellyshrooms and a Bloatshroom.

Battle 32 of 50, let's go!

Zombeetle, Zombiant, Zombee.

Battle 33 of 50, let's go!

A Mothfly and two Mothfly Clusters.

Battle 34 of 50, let's go!

Two Wasp Troopers and a Wasp Scout.

Battle 35 of 50, let's go!

Bandit, Burglar, Ruffian, Thief. (The full set!)

Battle 36 of 50, let's go!

Wasp Driller, Wasp Bomber, Wasp Scout.

Battle 37 of 50, let's go!

Diving Spider, Water Strider, Belostoss.

Battle 38 of 50, let's go!

Chomper Brute, Wild Chomper, and two Venus' Buds.

Whenever Chomper Brutes get involved, these fights always get a bit messy, they have just enough HP to get really annoying (and here, there are also enemies that can heal if you let them).

Battle 39 of 50, let's go!

Two Midges and two Leafbug Ninja.

I actually learned something new in this battle! Leif ended up being knocked out by one of the Midges' counterattacks, so I had Kabbu revive him with Pep Talk and found out that this reset his exhaustion penalties. That's pretty handy, although there aren't that many enemies that do counterattacks in the middle of your turn, so applications are pretty limited.

Battle 40 of 50, let's go!

Two Sentry Turrets, a Wild Chomper, and a Wasp Bomber.

This formation's a weird smorgasbord and I don't really know what it's supposed to be.

Our reward for clearing 40 fights is a new medal, TP Saver.

This is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. For 5 MP, the equipped bug's skills will all cost 1 fewer TP (though you can't reduce any costs to zero). This discount also stacks with Life Cast, so it's not uncommon to see them combined (for example, if Leif equipped both of those medals, the cost of Bubble Shield Lite would go from 3 TP to 1 HP).

You can definitely do some neat things with this, although I personally haven't used it much because of where it's located. This is definitely one of those medals I'd love to get early in a randomiser playthrough, though.

On we go. I actually decided to demonstrate the healing this time, I think because I was low on TP; if you're watching along, you'll be able to see that I ended up getting a bit sloppy afterward.

Very well, here is some healing before we continue ahead!

We get a very brief healing animation, then it's right back into the action.

Battle 41 of 50, let's go!

Burglar, Ironnail, Zombeetle.

After we finish that battle, this achievement icon pops up, which is definitely a bit confusing. I don't really understand why it gets delayed to this point, but this is actually for having collected all the Medals: TP Saver was the last one we were missing. I'll show the achievement itself once we're done here.

Battle 42 of 50, let's go!

Wasp Trooper, Bandit, Ruffian, Wasp Scout.

Battle 43 of 50, let's go!

Bloatshroom, Burglar, Belostoss.

(Is there a theme to this one? Maybe it's just that these enemies all have similar proportions?)

Battle 44 of 50, let's go!

Three Abomihoneys and a Wasp Driller.

Battle 45 of 50, let's go!

Haunted Cloth (fire), Warden (fire), Krawler (fire).

Things definitely start stepping up a bit at this point, the endgame enemies start coming out now.

Battle 46 of 50, let's go!

Cactiling, Dead Lander Beta, Inichas.

And now we've got Dead Landers! The final few battles of this really start ramping up the difficulty. (Although this one maybe not so much, the Dead Lander's the only real threat here.)

Battle 47 of 50, let's go!

Dead Lander Gamma and two flying Seedlings.

The Gammas are no joke, though. Any battle with these things can turn against you at a moment's notice.

Battle 48 of 50, let's go!

Two Golden Seedlings!

If you know that Ice Rain can score multiple hits on them, this isn't that scary (though it'll drain a lot of resources); otherwise, it can definitely be pretty daunting! They're still prone to running away, though, so you might get lucky.

Battle 49 of 50, let's go!

Dead Lander Alpha and Dead Lander Beta.

Another one that can be a bit tricky if you aren't prepared to deal with it. It's not that bad if you've managed your resources well, but if you're already struggling it might not go well. (We've seen this formation before, but it's worth remembering that, strictly speaking, you never actually have to fight these things to complete the game.)

Battle 50 of 50, let's go!

And finally, we have two Dead Lander Gammas.

This is never an easy formation to deal with. (Last time we fought these, we had Maki and Elizant there to help!) If you're watching along in the video, I definitely got sloppy here and made a few mistakes, but ended up getting lucky and not dying from them. These things can put out a lot of damage, and most of their attacks cause sleep, so once the battle starts going badly it can very often keep doing so.

(I didn't this time, but it isn't a bad idea to put Resist All and Sleep Resist on someone to make them immune, if you're worried about these.)

It brings me joy that I can reward you with this. Take it!

The reward for clearing all 50 fights is the final ribbon for Chompy! We'll test this out in a bit.

If you want to keep fighting, just talk to me again, and we shall begin the process once more.
I no longer possess any amazing rewards, but you shall still earn berries, so feel free to come back anytime!

We also get this little speech from the Roach hologram on finishing. Clearing the Cave of Trials for the first time unlocks Random Mode, which we'll discuss more shortly. There are no major prizes left, but we can keep fighting for berries (or just because it's fun).

13 - It's Getting Scary!

Wait, what? The hologram just started freaking out and spewing glitchy error messages?

51 - The Watcher

Um.

That looks like...?

Welp. Can't spy on it. (This is why I equipped the Spy Specs medal, so we could see its stats.)

And if we try to see its name by targeting it, it keeps glitching out. Look at the text for long enough and you will see the name TANGYBUG amidst the chaos.

Click me for video!

TANGYBUG is this game's secret boss, and the reason we were futzing about with Tangy Berries in our inventory. If you have a Tangy Berry in the 4th slot, or three Tangy Berries regardless of location (checked when you finish battle 50), you get to fight this weird hologram of Tanjerin. This secret was actually added to the game in v1.1, I think inspired by people memeing about Tanjerin on the official Discord.

And looking at it, this thing is no joke! To start, it has 99 HP and 4 defence; it can take a lot of punishment. And it starts out flying and with two actions per turn. (Interestingly, there are no "normal mode" stats for it either, it'll have these stats regardless of whether you have Hard Mode equipped. This is a superboss. If you trigger the fight, you'd better be up for the challenge.)

(Incidentally, this silhouetted appearance is how any enemies you haven't previously encountered would appear in the Cave of Trials.)

Please excuse some minor continuity errors in HP/TP and some of the items we have in inventory; the fight I'm showing going forward came from a different take than the prior screenshots and the Cave of Trials video.

We'll start out with an Ice Rain.

Probably blew through most of its freeze resistance there for a few extra points of damage, but realistically freezing it isn't going to make or break the fight. (Look at the impact of that defence stat!)

Also, it is weak to ice. Are "fruity bugs" part plant?

Feels like we barely made a dent...

With 11 TP left, I decided to go for another Ice Rain since we could afford it.

That doesn't feel particularly worthwhile, but there are no great solutions here, with this build our best approach is going to be brute force. (If you've been using Vi as the main attacker instead, Needle Pincer is your friend though.)

Kabbu uses a Berry Smoothie.

And then, after another relay, Leif shields himself.

Chompy doesn't get to participate in this battle, unfortunately. There is literally nothing she can do to harm this thing.

The first attack it uses on us is this frost breath, similar to the one used by Haunted Cloths. This deals 4 base damage across the entire party, and also freezes us if we don't fill the bar. (Oops.)

Weirdly, it ended its turn after that. I'm not sure if the breath attack always costs it two actions, or if some kind of bug cut its turn short (maybe because it froze us?); this fight is not very well documented.

Much as I don't want to heal Leif out of Last Attack range, I think I really only have one option here to not lose the fight.

Queen's Dinner! These things are unparallelled in getting you out of a pinch, especially when a lot of the party is afflicted by disabling status. I really can't afford to give up that much action economy this turn.

Right, what to do now?

Let's have Leif use Hard Charge, to at least make a start on reducing his HP again.

And I think it's time for the full-party Bubble Shield. This can be a recovery and setup turn, we'll get back into the swing of things next turn.

This could complicate things. It's taunting Vi. (Taunting also doesn't cost it an action, so it's still going to do two more attacks after this.)

TANGYBUG also has a move that looks like Kabbu's Dash Through, which hits the entire party for 5 base damage.

And another that looks like Heavy Strike, also for 5 base damage. Its moveset is a weird amalgam of moves we've seen elsewhere in the game.

Vi being taunted is going to complicate things, especially since Leif is down an action thanks to shielding last turn. Taunted characters can't use Turn Relay.

Kabbu can, though, so we may as well take this opportunity to do another Ice Rain.

Thanks to Hard Charge, we can still do quite substantial damage even though Last Attack isn't active. This could have been better, but I certainly won't complain.

Unfortunately, we can't really do anything else this turn.

Vi may as well attack since she's forced, but, well, what did you expect to happen?

It's also borrowed the spinning attack from Haunted Cloths, it seems. This deals 4 base damage across the party.

For its second attack, it launches a poison glob. This deals 4 base damage and inflicts poison if not blocked, as you might expect. I think I may have also seen this inflict other status effects before, but I'm not certain.

Then at the end of its turn, it rises back into the air. It will just do this occasionally; it doesn't cost any actions, and I think can come after it does any other move. (Also, like the Everlasting King, if we use flipping attacks on it while it's grounded, we'd send it back into the air.)

We got kind of lucky there, though: Leif took a lot of damage, but survived, meaning Last Attack is back online. So let's keep the Ice Rain coming!

We're making progress, albeit slowly.

Also, we're nearly out of TP again. (Ice Rain is expensive!) Let's fix that.

And then I think it's best to play it safe and shield the party.

We take another poison blob. That's fine.

But then it taunts Leif, which is definitely going to be irritating... it also rises into the air afterward.

Apparently TANGYBUG can also use Dash Through while floating! The effect is the same, though. (Also, this screenshot caught something interesting, while most of the time it's just the grey hologram, there is at least a frame or two of Tanjerin sprites in there.)

This is awkward.

...Or is it? Let's get it out of the air with Vi, even though she won't do any damage.

Leif may be out of actions (and taunted, so we can't relay to him either), but Kabbu can initiate Frozen Drill!

I should probably have been using this more often. Frozen Drill is awesome.

TANGYBUG also has this vine attack, which we've variously seen from characters like Aria and the Wasp King. The first hit deals 5 base damage, and if there's a follow-up, the second does 3.

Also, Leif takes a poison blob and goes down. This was probably inevitable, since last turn's circumstances meant we weren't able to shield him.

This isn't that bad, though.

Kabbu's Pep Talk, conveniently, revives allies on 4 HP, which is perfect for Last Attack. (Sometimes Pep Talk is better than using Magic Seeds!)

Get out of here, Tanjy.

The fight ends normally...

...but when we return to the Cave of Trials, the holographic roach is screaming PUSHROCK at us. Um. Okay then. (This is another Menu Code, we'll talk about it more in a moment.)

Then the trial sequence is done, with no further acknowledgment of it. So that certainly happened.

This boss has a lot more attacks that we didn't see. I can't be certain I've seen everything; this boss is a pain to experiment with, because for every attempt you have to spend nearly an hour slogging through the Trials first, but I did my best to record what I could.

Here's a move that looks like Kabbu's Under Strike. This deals 6 base damage to a single bug.

Of course he has Pebble Toss! This deals 3 base damage.

He also has this other attack, which launches a barrage of pebbles. This deals 1-4 hits across the party, for 4 base damage each, and can inflict poison.

Continuing the trend of borrowing attacks from Haunted Cloth, he has the life drain too. Um. I'm genuinely not sure how much damage this actually does. (In the run I recorded this, Kabbu had 5 defence from Back Support + 2x Defense Exchange + 2x Reflection, but I'd be shocked if this actually does 6 damage per pulse; maybe it does 1 damage but pierces defence? Or it could have a 1 damage minimum unless the character is under Bubble Shield, but that doesn't help determine the actual damage number.)

I think these are all the attacks it has, but I'm not 100% certain.

Anyway, uh, that's TANGYBUG! It's a pretty cool easter egg, though I have no idea how they expect anyone to stumble across it unless they already know how to trigger it. (Maybe that's the point, since it's based on inside jokes?) It's also just a genuinely tough boss fight that's pretty satisfying to work through, even considering it's all just made with reused assets. I love this.

Before we get back to the Cave of Trials... let's talk about PUSHROCK.

This is yet another Menu Code which can be entered when creating a file. This was actually in the game well before the 1.1 update, there just wasn't any way to be "taught" it ingame until they added the TANGYBUG fight. So what does this do?

It makes everybody Tanjerin. Everybody. (Or... mostly everybody. Tanjerin himself becomes Kabbu, Cerise is unchanged, and as I understand it, some characters/bosses like the spiders that use 3D models instead of sprites are unaffected.)

Yes, this carries over to the battle screen and the sprites and animations often look very silly.

I think it just creates a mapping between the other characters' sprites and whatever sprites Tanjerin had in the same slot, so you will often see very weird things like bandages appearing and disappearing, etc. It's very strange.

I can't tell you much about where this gets particularly weird, as to be honest I don't really want to actually play the game like this. But if it sounds fun to you, uh, you do you I guess?

Right, back to the Cave of Trials. Here we can see the prizes for the first two waves next to the pedestals: a Tangy Berry for 10, and Dark Cherries for 20.

Here's the achievement we earned earlier.

Back momentarily, I need to split the update for character limit reasons.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

74: Trials & Tangy Tribulations (Part 2)

Okay, now shall we check out Random Mode?

Very well! Let's load up the Trial program!

Let's do this.

Click me for video!

Immediately we can see the change: we no longer start out with basic enemies, and the formations are different! When I first learned this mode existed, I halfway expected it to just shuffle the previous Cave of Trials formations, but these are almost entirely new (and there are definitely more than fifty possible). I'll show off a few of the more interesting ones I came across, but for the most part, if you're interested in seeing this you can watch the video (or play it yourself!).

As mentioned before, the only prize we earn now is berries. After each wave, we'll receive a number of berries equal to the fight number we're on (so, 10, then 20, then 30, etc), and then there's a bigger payout at the end if you complete the entire thing. I don't think there's much reason to care about berries at this point in the game, the main incentive to do this is just that it's fun and challenging, but it's something I guess.

Golden Seedlings show up in a bunch of these formations, alongside all sorts of enemies. They're not that bad if you have a plan to deal with them, but can definitely be an unpleasant surprise if you're not ready.

These Dead Lander formations are just surreal, it's weird seeing them alongside other enemies. Even though they're both endgame enemies, it feels strange fighting them at the same time as the fire constructs, for instance.

Here's one that had both sand and fire forms of Krawlers. This mode ends up mixing and matching all sorts of things.

Also, this was neat. I was able to hit four enemies at once with Icefall in this formation, which I didn't actually know was possible before. I think it's something to do with the sprite/hitbox size of the enemies, and how closely they end up being placed together (you definitely can't rely on being able to do this in normal gameplay, I don't think any formations outside here are closely packed enough).

And this one was just plain weird, which you'll see if you watch the video (it's #38). When I hit some of the other enemies, the Chomper Brute counterattacked by spitting Hard Seeds and ended up killing Leif (showing off the exhaustion reset again). I don't think I knew Chomper Brutes had this counterattack, but even then, I'd have assumed it would be triggered on attacking other Chomper-type enemies (the way Midges only react if you hit other Midges or Broodmother) and there weren't any of those here.

When we finish the entire thing, we get a huge payout of berries. I'm not sure if it's always 318, or if this number varies with some other factors; if so, I don't know what affects it.

Weirdly, I think random mode feels slightly easier to me? I'm not entirely sure why, given a lot of the formations are pretty nasty; maybe it's because the tougher ones tend not to come in a row so you have time to regroup between them? I've also found it tends to feel anticlimactic at the end, if it ends up giving you a trivial formation last.

Sure, maybe I'll come back sometime (though we're done as far as the LP is concerned). This place is fun.

This sign over on the left side keeps track of our stats for the Cave.

And on the right, some of our other gameplay numbers. (I suspect these numbers aren't wholly accurate to the LP if you were to go back and add things up, because I often recorded multiple takes of fights, but please don't waste your time doing that.)

Before we forget, we have one more prize to check out! Mustn't forget the Team Ribbon! (Also, oops, I clearly forgot to use the Heart Berry we got from Samira. I should do that.)

Let's have Chompy put this on.

Well, if nothing else, it's a cute bluish purple colour.

It doesn't give her any new moves...

But it makes her attacks leech 1 TP each, which is pretty nice! Passive TP recovery!

Unfortunately, it's not quite as good as it sounds, because you don't gain the TP unless she actually does damage. If the frontmost enemy has 2 or more defence (like we just saw with TANGYBUG), this ribbon is useless. Unfortunately, this means it can let you down exactly in the tough fights where you'd want its benefit the most. As a result I tend to prefer the Pretty Ribbon overall, but this thing definitely has its uses. It's pretty neat.

One last thing. Let's go to our house and check out the spoils!

Next to the Card Trophy, we now have two icons for beating the Cave of Trials, the top one for normal mode and the bottom for random mode. And the Tangy Berry on the shelf above our bed is for defeating TANGYBUG.

We also have the Wasp King's Ancient Crown, apparently. Um, I should come clean about this. I've been recording the LP on game version 1.1, but there are actually two minor patches that came out since I started the LP (1.1.1, and 1.1.2). I hadn't updated for the sake of keeping the LP consistent, and because I didn't think there had been any content changes, but apparently one of the things those patches did was add more trophies for our house. The crown, as you might expect, is for finishing the main story.

None of these objects appear in the v1.1 save. (And some of the flags are new, I had to replay Random Mode and TANGYBUG again to get the associated trophies to appear.) If there are no objections from the thread, I'll probably just upgrade and record on 1.1.2 going forward so that we can see the rest of this content.

Anyway, let's end today's update there. Next time, we'll take on some of these postgame sidequests.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 31, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Explopyro posted:

None of these objects appear in the v1.1 save. (And some of the flags are new, I had to replay Random Mode and TANGYBUG again to get the associated trophies to appear.) If there are no objections from the thread, I'll probably just upgrade and record on 1.1.2 going forward so that we can see the rest of this content.

Anyway, let's end today's update there. Next time, we'll take on some of these postgame sidequests.

Nice update as always.

Please do update, there's no reason not to.

There's still one more achievement to be earned, I'm really curious what it is.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Good going! Tangybug is a terror and a half, and it’s pretty amazing just how obscure the little dude is. Maybe Tanjerin really is the strongest!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Torrannor posted:

There's still one more achievement to be earned, I'm really curious what it is.

This feels like a bit of a goof on my part. We're actually still missing four achievements, the screenshot I showed just happened to only include one of the missing ones.

Most of them aren't too mysterious (and, in fact, the game tells you; I may not have shown this, but the brief description, e.g., "find all medals", for achievements you don't have is actually visible in the menu even before you've done so). Two of the ones we still need are "spy every enemy" and "complete every sidequest", and another is "complete the game" (which in practice means "get the other 29 achievements). There's one more, which I prefer not to say anything about for now, but we'll probably see in the next update or two.

BassMug posted:

Good going! Tangybug is a terror and a half, and it’s pretty amazing just how obscure the little dude is. Maybe Tanjerin really is the strongest!

Hah, yes. Like I said, I don't know how anyone would figure this out except by being told (but that's probably the point).

It's a fun fight, even if it does more or less boil down to "can you handle big numbers?".

If I were to voice any criticisms of the design here, it would be that because this fight comes after the Cave of Trials (which can already be grueling on its own terms), it's hard to engage with it "fairly". It's another incentive to put together a broken build with infinite or near-infinite sustainability, and once you've done that, nothing Tangybug presents to you can really pose a challenge. But if you haven't, he might well be insurmountable (especially after your resources have already been drained by 50 fights). I tried to strike a balance for the LP so that the fight would be interesting and not a foregone conclusion...

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 1, 2023

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Never fought Tangybug before, didn't even know about how exactly to trigger that secret. I wish I could fight it freely just to see if I could handle it, I don't particularly feel like going through the whole cave again four items down from normal. Ah well, at least I saw it through this!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Wasn't Tanjerin a character designed by a backer? It's kind of cute how he's the mascot character now.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Alxprit posted:

Never fought Tangybug before, didn't even know about how exactly to trigger that secret. I wish I could fight it freely just to see if I could handle it, I don't particularly feel like going through the whole cave again four items down from normal. Ah well, at least I saw it through this!

Yeah, clearing the Trials again is kind of a big ask to face this thing. That's definitely one of the reasons I wanted to make sure I showed it off well, because most players will never see this even if they know about it.

I could probably have been a bit clearer about how the conditions work. Technically speaking, you don't have to sacrifice four slots, because you only need to satisfy one of the two conditions (the 3-berry method only requires three slots, or you can use the slot-4 method as long as the items above are things you won't use until the Tangybug fight; you're four slots down then, but you can use them freely once the fight starts). Also, because all of the battles here are simulated, any items you do use aren't permanently consumed and you'll get them back afterward.

If the main question is "could I do it", I'd ask you whether you've fought the other two superbosses. I think they're both harder than Tangybug, though of course you get to go into those fresh (so you can start with a full loadout of items, and whatever HP/TP values you want; some of the challenge of Tangybug definitely comes from the fact you have to go into it right off the trials) so it's not a perfect comparison.

Leraika posted:

Wasn't Tanjerin a character designed by a backer? It's kind of cute how he's the mascot character now.

He was! I wasn't there at the time, so I'm not sure exactly how his breakout popularity got going. As I understand it, the official Discord got started fairly early and a lot of the devs and backers hung out there, so there was a lot of community discussion around the backers' character ideas and the devs had plenty of time to figure out how to incorporate them. I think that probably went a long way toward making their inclusion feel pretty natural and seamless; in many ways, this game really was a community project (though obviously I don't say this to detract from the main team's contributions!).

Here's Tanjerin's page from the artbook, which alludes to this:

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
Definitely a good LP for a game that brings love to the old-school Paper Mario formula. A couple of things I noticed during my most recent playthrough of Hardest and Mystery:

1) The seed number will display on the right sign in the Cave of Trials, but I think that's the only place where it displays.

2) you can actually skip both the Beast's special scripted sequence and the Final Boss's healing, if you reach and kill them exclusively with Kabbu's Pebble Toss skill. The Beast heals at 10, so you need to deal 10 damage in one player turn with Pebble Toss. Same goes for the Wasp King. I guess Pebble Toss ignores HP caps.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Update coming momentarily, but I wanted to respond to this first.

giver336 posted:

Definitely a good LP for a game that brings love to the old-school Paper Mario formula. A couple of things I noticed during my most recent playthrough of Hardest and Mystery:

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it, and I do appreciate you finding things I've missed.

giver336 posted:

1) The seed number will display on the right sign in the Cave of Trials, but I think that's the only place where it displays.

This is good to know, and I'll definitely edit the post on randomiser mode to acknowledge it. I should probably have known this. (I haven't spent as much time with the randomiser as I'd really have liked to, honestly.)

giver336 posted:

2) you can actually skip both the Beast's special scripted sequence and the Final Boss's healing, if you reach and kill them exclusively with Kabbu's Pebble Toss skill. The Beast heals at 10, so you need to deal 10 damage in one player turn with Pebble Toss. Same goes for the Wasp King. I guess Pebble Toss ignores HP caps.

This is really interesting. I guess Pebble Toss bypasses the scripting there, somehow? I wonder if this is intended behaviour to reward people doing Pebble Toss challenges, or just an oversight. I knew Pebble Toss was popular for challenge runs (I think a few people have done runs where Pebble Toss is the only damage they're allowed to deal?), but not this wrinkle.

It's got to be really tricky to set up, though... I think you need to stack +8 or +9 actions on Kabbu by using loads of Hustle items while he has a bad status and won't be forced to use them up? Then presumably time it so that that status wears off the same turn one of the other bugs reduces the boss to 10 HP. This seems really difficult, especially since it'll take almost an entire inventory full of items just to set up that part, and you still have to beat the rest of the fight normally.

Sounds like a fun challenge run to do at some point, I might need to try this. On my own time, though. (I'm trying to wrap things up here, don't give me more to do! ;) )

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

75: Escort Missions and R&R

17 - Ant Kingdom

When we left off last time, we'd just finished with the Cave of Trials, and a very special hidden fight. Now it's time to make a start on the postgame sidequests.

On the agenda today are "Loose Ends" and "A New Hope". I'm taking things a bit out of order here; normally I think of "Confidential" as coming first (partially because it was in the base game, while the rest of these quests were added as the expansion aspect of v1.1), but I think things will flow better for us if I do it this way. If you're playing along, you might want to do that one first because the reward from it will make the others easier.

I'm not changing our build around too much, but I've replaced Victory Buzz with Favorite One, and Spy Specs with Crazy Prepared. Again, this isn't fully optimised by any means, but I've been enjoying it and it's not badly-suited for what's coming, so we'll stick with it for one more update.

And before we forget, let's actually use this thing.

Kabbu can have this one.

Let's go see Rebecca now. As a reminder, she hangs out in the War Room, just to the right of the throne room.

Rebecca... You'll really go to the Abandoned City? For what purpose?
It may look a bit dreadful... But I have many great memories there.
Won't you come with me? I have a tale or two to share.

A voice interrupts and shouts angrily from offscren.

It's the Lieutenant.

Have you forgotten your age?
...Now, that's not very kind.
These young'uns saved the Kingdom! I have nothing to fear.
...She's right about that. We promise to keep her safe.

...Only if I go as well. Please, Rebecca.
Hoho, I'd love that! Let's get going, then.

...And they leave.

The "Abandoned City" they're talking about is in the Forsaken Lands; it's the area where we previously fought the False Monarch.

Let's go meet them there.

63 - Forsaken Lands

If we talk to the hooded ant in the Mines, we can shortcut to Patton's hut, but from here we're going to have to walk. Hope you remember the way! We go south from Patton's...

Then east from here.

Fly across the gaps here, then go south.

Use the wind currents here to cross the big gaps, then head west (contrary to the arrow on the ground).

This is the area with the ruined Ant Kingdom vehicles. We get up here (via the bouncy mushroom and some flying), then go west again.

And we're here. We can see Rebecca and the Lieutenant waiting in the distance. It might not be the worst idea to save.

(Before you ask, I don't know if anything about this quest changes if you do it before defeating the False Monarch. Those weird Mothfly NPCs would be here, but I don't know what if anything their presence would change.)

As we get close to them, it triggers a cutscene.

Um, do you really like this place?
Um, Miss Rebecca?
Elizant... We shared so many meals here.
You both crossed this place?
Every day I tried just a little harder with my Plumpling Pies...
This place may seem barren, but it was our lovely camp.
That's kinda hard to imagine...

13 - It's Getting Scary!

A swarm of Mothflies appear!

Oh dear...
Stay close to us!
Here we go!
I'll assist you as well!

Click me for video!

29 - Team, This One's Stronger! (Miniboss)

This battle's pretty interesting, though a lot of what makes it so isn't apparent at first. (The Lieutenant's fighting alongside us, though! That's neat.)

What is immediately apparent, though, is that all of these enemies come with permanent stat boosts. They all get both Attack Up and Defence Up, which definitely makes them scarier than they would be ordinarily... the damage adds up, and they're not quite as squishy as you'd expect from prior experience.

Freezing them all can buy us some time.

We can take out the one in front, after that.

...What's this? As soon as we've killed it, another enemy comes in from offscreen to replace it!

This is the gimmick of this fight. It's not just four enemies; we fight four at once, but they're going to keep coming until we've killed enough. Every enemy we kill gets immediately replaced. This means that killing enemies is no longer necessarily a way to reduce the number of attacks you face, because the replacements come in fresh and get to attack right away. It'll definitely make you rethink your tactics!

The Lieutenant does help us out, though. She can even jump to hit the airborne ones, so she'll always hit something, though she only has 3 attack (reduced to 2 by these things' boosted defence) so her damage isn't going to turn the tides by itself.

Here's her animation against the grounded ones.

I'm not going to give a full play-by-play of this encounter. It's an interesting one to play through and does present some interesting new challenges, but moment to moment, it's just a marathon of these same enemies. (And if you want to completely trivialise it, you can do so by stacking defence on Kabbu or shielding him and using Taunt. All of these enemies only do single-target attacks, so for all their numbers, you can render them completely harmless with that kind of tactic.)

As far as I can tell, the sequence is always the same. It starts out with three Mothflies and a Mothfly Cluster, then each time we kill one, the next replacement comes in this order: Cluster, Fly, Cluster, Cluster, Cluster, Fly, Cluster. In total, there are 11 enemies (5 small Mothflies and 6 clusters).

One interesting observation: if the last enemy surviving is a Mothfly Cluster, it can use its move to summon two smaller Mothflies, but these summoned ones don't get the stat-ups everything else in the battle did.

Eventually, we prevail.

Huff... Was this risk truly worth it, Rebecca...?
Of course.
Even if you camped here... Rebecca, we should head back.
I didn't get to finish my tale... Won't you hear me out for a little while longer?
Eh, we're already here, so...

Rebecca hesitates and shuffles around for a moment.

61 - Elizant II's Promise

Ellie is a wonderful queen. She really is her mother's daughter.
When I heard she destroyed the Everlasting Sapling...
It took me some days to finally accept it.

Why did you never share these burdens? You always seemed so happy...
Hohoho... I am happy! After all... I'm sure she would be happy.
I'm so proud of Ellie, too...
Do you understand why I needed to return?
...Yes. This is a proper way to pay your respects.

I won't hold you here any longer. I'm very grateful.
...So am I. Team Snakemouth, please take this.

We should, um... go back. You can tell us a lot more stuff at the palace!
Yeah... We'd like that.
I'll lead the way, then!

We're given the option to fast travel back to the Ant Kingdom. We may as well; there's no longer any reason to stay here. (Though I did linger a bit on this screen, because "Elizant II's Promise" continues to play as long as you do.)

As soon as we head back, the quest is complete.

This one's pretty touching, and I do like it, though I have a few questions... for one, why does Rebecca think Elizant II destroyed the Sapling? She decided to, but she didn't actually have to follow through, because Hoaxe got there first and he's the one who actually destroyed it. And, for two... isn't Elizant I in an enchanted sleep? You'd think they might be able to wake her to say goodbye, even if she can no longer be made immortal or have much life expectancy left; I think the implication might be that she was ill or near death when put under and can't actually be woken, but the game never says that outright, so I can't be certain. Instead, everyone just acts like she's dead, which seems a bit odd. Still, I'm probably overthinking this.

Our reward for this quest is the sixth and final Heart Berry.

Vi can have this one, to balance things out. We'll probably be redistributing these a fair bit with Patton relatively soon, but for now I'm going to make the HP numbers that slight bit less irritating.

Unfortunately, despite the dialogue suggesting she'll have more stories for us, Rebecca doesn't actually have anything new to say now.

So let's head to our next destination. We need to meet up with Roy in the Wasp Kingdom throne room.

60 - Wasp Kingdom

We were just here, not too long ago.

Let's talk to him this time.

(Interestingly, it's actually General Fuff who speaks first when we do so.)

I heard you saved my people... Thank you.
And our people, as well. You will always have our gratitude.
I-It was nothing!
Come on, it was really something!
...How can we help?
Our botanists have been working together...

Is it a good idea?
One day, the Dead Lands could be filled with life...
There's no way I'll give up on that dream.
...Count on us!
Yeah! It's gonna work for sure!
With the trials you've faced, I have no doubt you'll be safe.
Shall we go, then? We're headed towards the cold behemoth's entrance.

Once the conversation's finished, Roy starts following us. It's time to head back into the Dead Lands, our destination is just outside the fridge entrance.

There are a bunch of ways to get there, but I was curious to see what the "intended" route is (i.e., what path we could take that wouldn't have Roy disappear from behind us at any point), so I took the long way.

56 - Lands Untamed

Roy can follow behind us on every screen of the Far Grasslands. Although he disappears if we enter the damselflies' Fishing Village; I'd wondered if maybe we were supposed to pick up our submarine there, but apparently not.

36 - Lost Sands

Instead, we walk all the way through the Lost Sands...

06 - Outskirts

Then walk through the Outskirts until we get to the Pier.

23 - The Sailors' Pier

Here, we can get into the sub.

67 - Snug as a Bug in a Sub

75 - Rubber Prison

And sail over to Rubber Prison.

It's a quick shortcut from there to the Giant's Lair entrance.

That was quite a trek! Of course, we didn't have to go that way; it's faster to go straight to the Ant Mines from the Wasp Kingdom, and then take the shortcut right here. But this is the canonical path, so to speak.

78 - The Giants' Lair

The Dead Lands are still as spooky as ever.

Also, the Dead Landers are still here! Including the Omega with all its eye-beams, and yes, it will drop Gammas on us just like before. (And Bug Me Not doesn't work on Dead Lander enemies, so even now we have to either deal with them or run away a lot; running is generally more expedient.)

After a bit of finagling (some of the puzzles reset and need to be solved again), we're back at the fridge. Might not be a bad idea to save here, also.

If you're trying to be efficient (and/or you really don't want to deal with Dead Landers), you could take the shortcut to the Roaches' village and backtrack down through the fridge instead. That does work, but once again, I'm showing the intended path here.

If we come over toward the corner where the plug is, we'll see some plants in pots...

And when we get close enough, we walk into a cutscene.

Don't let us hold you up. We're pretty excited too.
Yeah! And don't forget th-

79 - ???

D-Do they want these seeds...!?
N-Never! Let's beat 'em up!
Good plan.

Click me for video!

Anyone having déjà vu? We fought a very similar group of enemies in this precise location, though of course that time we had Maki and Elizant alongside. (And we're a bit more powerful now.)

This formation should not be underestimated; any fight with Dead Landers can easily turn against you if you're not prepared or don't take them seriously. That said, you can obviate a lot of the difficulty with Ice Rain, as you'll see me do in the video (Ice Rain is kind of broken once you stack enough attack boosts); really, if you can take out at least one enemy on the first turn, you'll probably be in decent shape.

Anyway, we deal with them.

It was wise to test outside of the village...
Will... more come?

Perhaps, as you said, this is a terrible idea...

Roy. Even if it's risky... It's your dream, isn't it?
Here goes nothing...!

All we can do now is pray.
I'm sure it'll work!
And if it doesn't, we'll try again!
You can't lose hope, not here.
...Thank you.
The Queen gave me this, but I truly wish to give it to you.

I'll stay here, overseeing their growth.
I promise to run if there's any danger.
You can do it!
Thank you... The future seems much brighter now.

And with that, the quest is complete. I'm not sure how well they'll be able to grow plants inside this house, realistically (it's pretty dark here), but I guess anything is worth a try?

There's a new banter now:

"You can't lose hope, not here." ...How inspiring, Leif!
Shh...
Heheh, you're blushing!
...Just pray for the crops, Vi.

Heh, Leif's embarrassed.

I promise to run if there's any danger.

If we talk to Roy again, this is all he'll have to say.

Here, let's take a closer look at the little garden he's set up. It's cute.

Also, let's use this before we forget.

No choices to be made there, and extra max TP is always nice to have.

Let's use our Compass now to head back to the Ant Kingdom. We've done all we can here, for better or worse.

Next time, we'll finally talk to Maki and see what he wants our help with. (What is this madness, a reasonable length update for once? The next few will probably be on the long side again, though, the remaining quests are a bit more involved than these.) I'll see you then.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 11, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What did the Roaches eat before? Did they just go out foraging in the Dead Lands?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I would assume that question can be answered by "they're roaches."

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

By the way, I realised I forgot to comment on something about the mothfly swarm encounter, I edited it in but I'll also quote it below so nobody needs to reread the entire post looking for it:

quote:

(And if you want to completely trivialise it, you can do so by stacking defence on Kabbu or shielding him and using Taunt. All of these enemies only do single-target attacks, so for all their numbers, you can render them completely harmless with that kind of tactic.)

Anyway. Now to reply to comments.

Torrannor posted:

What did the Roaches eat before? Did they just go out foraging in the Dead Lands?

DanielCross posted:

I would assume that question can be answered by "they're roaches."

The game doesn't ever address this, but I think these are the two halves of the answer. Presumably, at least at first, they also ate what was left of the human food (though we really don't know how long it's been, and it's hard to tell by the few rotten objects and cans in the fridge), but I wouldn't expect there to be any of that left now.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

76: They Grow Up So Fast

17 - Ant Kingdom

Welcome back! Last time, we completed Rebecca's and Roy's escort sidequests, and got a bit of insight into the past and future respectively.

This time, let's finally see what Maki wants our help with.

As a reminder, Maki was waiting here by the Ant Palace bridge. Before we talk to him, there's a banter:

Sir Maki, Kina and Yin!
Yup. Let's see what's up.

Not much to this one, but it exists I guess? Let's go ahead and talk to them. (It doesn't matter which we speak to, either will initiate the same conversation.)

What's up with Yin?
She's become a pupa?
Ugh, yeah. After the ceremony, she just... woke up like this.
She should mature soon, then!
I doubt it. You see, I've been researching Yin...
In the first place, she shouldn't have been a caterpillar for so long.

Yeah. But I've got a theory.
After you enter the Far Grasslands, head west and then keep walking north.
I'll explain everything there.
Gotcha. We'll meet up there!
*Sigh* Don't keep us waiting, okay?

And with that, they walk off.

Well, it looks like we might finally be able to get a bit of insight into Yin's mysteries, at least? They haven't exactly told us much though, have they?

Regardless, we've been to the area Maki was talking about before; it's where we found Engira's lost prosthetic claw. Let's head there and see if we can find out more.

We'll enter the Far Grasslands from the Lost Sands entrance.

56 - Lands Untamed

Head west from this first screen.

Up the makeshift stairway, then north.

Cross the thorns here and smash the boulder.

And we're there.

(It's probably more efficient to get here via the Ant Mines shortcut, and going east from the Far Grasslands "preview area" we reached from the Power Plant. But since Maki gave us directions, I preferred to follow them.)

Sir Maki's here. Let us help Yin out however we can!

If we check the banter, it's only a single line from Kabbu.

And talking to Kina, this is all she has to say.

Maki, meanwhile, is still being cryptic and just asks us if we're ready. What if we say no?

I understand. Come back when you are ready.

Well, that's no help!

Nothing else for it, I guess.

Yin brought me here once. I believe it's where she was born.
She may have been waiting to come back to mature...
Is there any basis for that?
...Well, no. But trust me on this one.
That we will. But why did you require our assistance?

13 - It's Getting Scary!

A bunch of Leafbugs close in and surround us.

Maki, explaining his plans? Please...
Not now, Kina!
They were probably attracted by the energy Yin's giving off.
Don't let them get near Yin! We must protect her until she pupates!
Team, let us stop them!

Click me for video!

29 - Team, This One's Stronger! (Miniboss)

This fight may not look like much at first, but it can get very tricky. This is another sequential battle, much like the Mothflies we had to defend Rebecca from.

Except these are Leafbugs with everything that entails, which means it ends up being a lot nastier. Hit one of them, and you piss off all the others. And then if you kill one, another immediately takes its place. On top of this, Maki is fighting alongside us and will always attack the one in front, meaning even if you don't set them off, he's going to.

Icefall is still a pretty good strategy here, though it has its limits. Freezing enemies both reduces the number of attacks you take, and keeps the frozen ones from gaining charges.

As mentioned, whenever you kill an enemy, another walks in from offscreen to replace it.

Maki moves at the end of the turn, and if he ends up killing an enemy, its replacement will come in before the enemies' turn begins and get to act immediately.

The biggest danger in this fight is the Clubbers' all-party attack, which gets very painful if you let them build up charges.

Eventually, the reinforcements stop coming, and from there it's not too hard to mop things up.

All told, this fight ends up having nine enemies total, three of each variety. Like the previous wave encounter, I'm fairly sure it's always the same sequence, and after the initial formation the following reinforcements come: Ninja, Clubber, Archer, Ninja, Clubber.

Eventually, the final enemy falls, and we are victorious.

I will say, I've always found this encounter interesting. No matter how many times I play it, I never really feel like I've solved it, and always end up coming away feeling like I won through sheer brute force. The gimmicks all interact in a way that feels impossible to counter properly. It's an interesting bit of design and I've always appreciated this encounter for it, even if the experience of playing it tends to leave me feeling vaguely dissatisfied.

The Leafbugs back off and flee.

Yin's cocoon shakes, and begins to open...

She emerges, and looks around a bit.

...Ma...M-Maki...!
Yin, you know my name?

N...Nice to me...meet you!
A-Aww! Nice to meet you too!
Thank you, Team Snakemouth. You helped me keep her safe.

She's got quite potent magic... wonder what'll come of it.
Ma...magic!
...Well... back to the castle with us. Right, brother?
Not yet. First, let me reward you for everything you've done.

(Kabbu reacts about the way I did. This is a hell of a reward!)

About the least I could give you, don't worry.
We'll make good use of them.

Huh? Like... fight you for real?
Yeah. Brother needs some real challengers!
If you're interested... you know where to find us.
Uh, not really. You're always moving around...
...The Ant Palace's bridge.
W-We'll think about it!

After that, they all walk off.

This is enough to get us the quest completion. Of course, we're not actually done, because we have a battle coming. (I think they structured it this way so that sidequest completion isn't dependent on being able to beat the superboss.)

Before we head back, there's a new banter here now.

We'd always felt some magic here, but...
Didn't expect it to be cuz of Yin, right?
Mhm.
I do wonder where Yin's parents went, though...?

This is an interesting question. Of course, we don't actually know how long ago Yin was born (or how long she was stuck in her larval stage, all we know is it's been a while). There's no further information, but if I were going to speculate, I'd wonder if they ran afoul of the Leafbugs given how aggressive they were over Yin herself.

Also, thanks to Maki, we now have these! This is an incredible reward, though honestly they're a bit overkill; combined with the ones we bought from Sun, you can pretty much break the game open with sheer numbers. (It's almost enough to make one wonder if Maki wants to lose this duel.)

These are the final two stat-boosting berries to be found in the game. In total, there are 6 Heart Berries, 4 Bond Berries, 2 Super Peppers and 2 Iron Seeds. (Though you'll see a few more potions than this if you go to Patton, the 3 HP and 2 TP from level-up bonuses will also become potions.)

I'm going to give the Super Pepper to Vi, and the Iron Seed to Kabbu. (For now, anyway.)

17 - Ant Kingdom

If we come back to the bridge, we'll find Maki and the rest of the team, as he said. Let's talk to them.

You've helped us plenty. Let's say we're even.
You mentioned sparring back in the Far Grasslands...
One must face worthy opponents, or become rusty.
It'd be an honor to face Team Snakemouth's might.

E-Everyone, this is a friendly sparring match...

There's a lot of tension here! And if we check the banter, there's even a bit more:

Getting to fight Sir Maki is the greatest of honors!
Heheh. Especially after that test of his.
We missed that test. What was it?
Sir Maki took on both Vi and me on his own, without breaking a sweat!
...And then he just said "you pass". Grr!
Hm. It's payback time, then. We'll support you.

Heh. All of these grievances strike me as very petty, but I suppose it's all been simmering for a while.

Make sure to prepare. We're not easy opponents.

Thankfully, the game gives us plenty of warning before starting the fight. We have to talk to him again, and even then he gives us the option to decline. Which we will for now, because we do need to prepare (and also to see the rest of the dialogue and banters first).

I think the "we won't hold back" line is meant to be a hint to the fact that, as a superboss, this fight doesn't have an easier counterpart if you remove the Hard Mode medal. This does mean that this fight is a huge difficulty spike for anyone who played on Normal, though. (TANGYBUG and another fight we'll see next update also have this property, but they were both added in v1.1; in the original release, Team Maki was the only fight that worked like that.)

Heh, Kina never changes.

Seems Kina and Maki finally stopped splitting up.
And she doesn't make the scary faces anymore!
I'm still relieved nothing happened to Maki in the Far Grasslands...
The massive guilt aside, Kina would've... *Gulp*

It's kind of odd the banter's worded this way, when talking to her absolutely has her make the threatening face again.

Meanwhile, Yin is just pleasant.

Yin's such a good girl! ...Must we fight her?
She's gotta learn somewhere!
She radiates magic, too. She won't be a pushover.
Even though she's so young...?

I wonder if Yin being a magical prodigy is supposed to be some kind of payoff to some of those notes we saw in the Snakemouth lab, where one of the Roach scientists noted that moths had a higher potential for magic and were their preferred test subjects. The only moth we've seen using magic before this is Leif, and he doesn't come by his naturally.

Right. Let's prepare for this battle! Time to move some medals around.

To start with, I've removed all the HP Plus medals to free up some MP; we won't be needing a lot of HP with the strategy I have planned, anyway. We will need a decent pool of TP, though, so those can stay.

We're going back to setting up Vi as our primary attacker. (Although I'm leaving the Last Attacks on Leif; I'll admit, this is partially because I don't want Vi to end things too quickly, but also because it will give Leif a way to contribute in a pinch.)

Here's where things are getting different. We're going to put Kabbu in full tank mode. With these two Defense Exchange medals and Back Support, plus the Iron Seed he's eaten, he's starting from 4 defence in the back row; Favorite One will reduce that to 3, but he's still going to be very hard to hurt (and we're not done yet).

He's also getting the full Do Nothing suite. With this, Meditation pays for the cost of Taunt by itself, Reflection adds an additional 2 defence (bringing Kabbu up to 5 defence if he does nothing), and then Prayer lets him regenerate whatever damage does get through.

Rounding things out, we've got Hard Charge and Status Relay on Leif. He can either put himself into Last Attack Range, or pass the boosts off to Vi. Spiky Bod and ADBP Enhancer are both obvious picks for this approach.

Here are Kabbu's and Leif's base stats here, for reference purposes. Yes, Kabbu has zero attack. He doesn't need it. (Leif still has a point of defence from the Iron Seed we gave him, too.)

Right, then. Let's do this!

Click me for video!

35 - Reckless For Glory! (Bonus Boss)

It's our full team against theirs! This shouldn't be a surprise, except maybe that Yin is joining in considering she's just barely an adult. (This does mean we're going to give up a full turn of actions spying, yes.)

Before that, though, let's rearrange our formation. We definitely want Kabbu in the back and Vi in front.

Kina reacts poorly to her brother being hurt, and Yin keeps supporting him... Tough decisions await us!

It's gonna take some practice, but if we're gonna take this beating then we've gotta Super Block!

...We say that, but she's no pushover. Even if Maki gets mad, we must defeat her too.

Let's take a moment here, and just look at those stats! This fight, while there's definitely more going on than just that, is absolutely asking "can you handle it when we make numbers big?". There were a bunch of other hints to how the fight works in those spies, too.

Unfortunately, Chompy's going to be spending this entire fight doing nothing. She can't get through Maki's defences (unless we go out of our way to debuff him), but biting him for 0 damage will still trigger Kina's counters, so having her attack is actively detrimental. Similarly, the Team Ribbon would be a no-go, since it only works if you deal damage.

If you really want Chompy to help out in this battle, you can use either the Venom Ribbon or Shocking Ribbon; Maki has 45% poison resistance and 50% numb resistance, so there's a decent chance of her being able to status him occasionally. I don't think it's worth the TP, but it's definitely a thing you can do.

Well, that was our first turn! Eventful! Let's see what they can do.

Maki starts out with this fairly basic uppercut slash, which deals 8 base damage. It's very, very fast, but for whatever reason that tends to make it feel easier to Super Block.

Kina, meanwhile, chucks darts at us. These deal 2 base damage per hit, and she'll throw 2-4 (each targeting randomly). There are actually multiple versions of this attack, with different colours of needle: white needles like these only cause damage, but there are also green needles that inflict sleep, purple needles for poison, and yellow needles for numb. (It's hard to see in the moment, but you can technically tell them apart.) She doesn't seem to like mixing types of needles, for some reason. If you're not good at blocking, the status effects can definitely become problematic.

(And oops, there goes Vi.)

And Yin likes casting status magic. She can cast Empower or Fortify on either Maki or Kina, with the expected 2 turn durations.

Welp. We're not off to a great start, are we?

First things first, let's get Vi back into the action. (Honestly, the odds of losing someone that first turn were pretty high, this wasn't unexpected.)

Now we'll put our strategy into action. After a relay, Kabbu taunts everyone, then uses Do Nothing to boost his defence and regain the TP. We won't get any damage in this turn, but that's all right.

Maki goes for the sword uppercut again, but it's a lot less effective this time. With all those defences, plus his enhanced Super Block, Kabbu can literally negate the entire attack, and deal Spiky Bod counter damage on top of it. Defence is crazy good if you can stack enough and are decent at blocking.

Kina shows us a new attack this time! This leaping dive kick deals 4 base damage. It's not particularly scary compared to the needle barrages, or the raw damage Maki puts out, but it can be tricky to block until you get used to it; the animation always takes longer than I expect, and she spends a bit of time offscreen.

And Yin casts Fortify on Maki.

Maki has 4 defence now! That could be a pain to get through.

Well, to start with, let's bring back this trick. Leif relays to Vi, and thanks to Status Relay we can combine the two charge-ups from Favorite One. Vi then immediately relays to Kabbu, so he can still take two actions for the Taunt/Do Nothing strategy. (Get used to this pattern, I'll be doing it nearly every turn.)

Well, Maki's defence might be high, but Needle Pincer still ignores it. (This is the reason I like having Vi do the attacking here.)

As we were warned in the Spy text, Kina doesn't like it when we hit Maki. She counters with a charge-up whenever she sees him take damage, just like Zasp and the Leafbugs before her. (You really don't want to let her get off a boosted needle storm if you can avoid it.)

Kabbu does his dance again.

Maki shows us some new moves this time. Sometimes he does this two-hit suplex combo, each hit of which is 5 base damage, instead of one harder hit. (I actually failed to block entirely here, Kabbu just has that much defence.)

The animation through the first hit is very similar, but you can tell which is coming by whether or not his eye gleams before striking (which indicates the single strong hit).

Kina goes for the flying kick again, but even with the boosts, Kabbu can negate it completely.

Weirdly, Yin just skipped her turn entirely. She just does this sometimes. I'm not sure if there are particular conditions for this (or whether it's intended or a glitch, I could see either being the case), but it tends to happen when there are already a few buffs on Maki and/or Kina.

Let's do the relay dance again.

And this time, let's Hurricane Toss Kina. If we take her out first, we don't have to deal with the charge-ups. (Sorry for not making GIFs of Vi's attacks this time, this is a long fight and I'd rather not overload the thread too much.)

Kabbu keeps doing his thing.

Maki strikes Kabbu again. This is just a normal block, so he still takes some damage; I haven't managed to make Kabbu completely impenetrable, just enough so that he can easily recover with Prayer.

Here are those green needles! (Blink and you'll miss it.) I messed up and Kabbu got sent to sleep, which is going to be a problem.

Yin Empowers Maki again. (And just when it'd worn off!)

Kabbu being asleep really does mess up this strategy. (Maybe I should have planned better and made him immune... two Sleep Resistance medals aren't hard to squeeze in.) Still, we should be able to play around it.

Let's do the trick and consolidate the bonuses, then hit Kina again.

Then Vi can pass the turn back to Leif and have him shield everyone.

They can hit us all they want.

Yin's buffs, of course, still work perfectly fine.

I may have miscalculated a bit here. We could shield again if we relay to Leif and wait out the sleep, but that'd leave us nearly empty on TP. And then next turn we'd still be down Leif's action, so we'd probably have to just spend the turn doing nothing except Kabbu's Taunt/Do Nothing, and the turn after that we could use Vi's action to recover some TP. That would have worked just fine, and we wouldn't be in danger of losing the fight, but I'd really rather not take a 4 turn momentum loss.

Moments like this are what Queen's Dinners are for. We need the TP anyway, and we may as well heal the chip damage Vi and Leif took.

Much better. Of course, we're still worse off than we could be here, thanks to being down Leif's action; it would've been better to just have used the Queen's Dinner last turn.

Our best course of action is still to have Kabbu taunt. Even without the defence boost, he should be fine, but there is at least some mild risk here. (It's still much better for Kabbu to be taking the hits than anyone else.)

He's fine. (Although missing the block on the second hit did let some damage through.)

Still fine.

We do see something new out of Yin! Aside from casting buffs, she also has this healing spell, which can restore 5 HP to either Maki or Kina. (Yin doesn't ever cast spells on herself.)

Okay, we've recovered from the setback now. Let's start fighting back again.

Another Hurricane Toss is more than enough to take Kina down.

Then we'll get back to dancing. Leif passes his +2 charge to Vi, then she relays to Kabbu so he can do the Taunt/Do Nothing dance.

Maki's doing more damage to himself than to us with these attacks.

And then Yin heals him.

We do start this turn with +3 charge on Vi, though, which is nice!

Vi starts in on Yin.

And then we'll do the same dance. Pass the charge to Vi, relay to Kabbu, Taunt, Do Nothing.

Maki's doing the combo a lot this time around, isn't he. He does have other attacks, I promise!

Yin boosts his attack again.

Right. On we go!

Bye, Yin. (This feels like a waste of the damage boosts, but we do need to take her down eventually...)

We'll taunt Maki again.

Also, we're getting a bit low on TP, so let's use a Tangy Berry. I'm not that worried about Maki alone, we can risk the lowered defence for one turn... (I did make a minor mistake here, and passed Leif's charge to Kabbu instead of Vi. Oops.)

...You didn't think it was going to be that easy, did you? Of course it isn't.

At the start of the turn after Yin goes down, Maki reacts and gains permanent Attack Up. If Kina is also down when this happens, she'll revive herself with 10 HP and trigger this conversation. Strategically, this might be the worst order to take them out in, but the conversation is funny and I definitely wanted to show it off.

(That said, permanent Attack Up on Maki isn't as big a change as it might sound, considering Yin keeps him buffed most of the time anyway. We've probably taken more blows from him with boosted attack than not.)

After that scene, we move to their turn. This is another new move; Maki has a charge-up, like many enemies we've fought throughout the game. (This isn't tied to the event flags, he can do it prior in the fight if he wants. It might become more likely as he and/or Kina get lower on HP?)

Kina barrages us with sleepy needles again. Thankfully, I managed to actually block them this time.

Right then. We've got a charged attack incoming, and that might hurt.

We'll keep up the Taunt/Do Nothing strategy.

Also, I've had this Plumpling Pie lying around for ages, couldn't hurt to get a further defence boost?

Let's see what happens.

Kina, to me!

It's Maki and Kina's team attack! Maki launches Kabbu into the air, then Kina dive-kicks him into Vi.

I'm not completely sure how the damage for this attack is calculated. The wiki claims Maki's hit is 7 base damage and Kina's is 6, then whoever the falling character lands on takes a hit of base 3 damage. But those numbers don't comport with what I'm seeing here, unless maybe the Attack Up or +1 charge-up isn't being applied? (It's hard to test this comprehensively, but I did try using Cleanse on him to remove the charge-up in another fight, and that didn't seem to affect the damage output. I think those numbers make sense if the charge is ignored but Attack Up isn't.)

If you KO Kina after Maki charges but before they do the attack, he'll do one of his solo moves instead. That move will still benefit from the +1 charge, at least, but it's a lot less impressive a result.

Right. What to do now?

First off, let's hit Maki with a Needle Pincer to take advantage of that +3 charge.

Because Kina's very low on HP, we can just have Vi finish her off afterward.

Kabbu can go a turn of taunting without the extra defence.

This did hurt, but he'll be fine.

We're in the home stretch now.

Let's do another Needle Pincer with +2.

Then one last turn of taunting.

And one more combo attack from Maki.

It's over now.

(Okay, fine, this might be a bit more damage than we needed.)

And we've won!

Bleh... I couldn't impress Maki...

Y-You're strong too, wow!
It was our honor.
I... I feel like we're truly equal explorers now!
That's one way to look at it.
You probably spent a lot of items in that battle... use this to replenish your inventory.

If you ever want to spar again, let us know. We've learned quite a bit.
You got it!

The only reward we get for defeating Team Maki (aside from berries, which barely count) is an achievement.

Here it is. As I believe I said earlier, Team Maki were the only superboss in the game's original release, so this was meant to be something of a capstone achievement. In the version we're playing, there's still one more fight to come.

Also, as of v1.1.2, we now get a replica of Maki's sword to hang on the wall in our house! That's nice.

If we go back and talk to Maki again, he'll offer to spar again. We can repeat this fight as many times as we want. This is convenient for us, because there's a bit more to the fight we haven't seen yet, and I'd like to show off at least one alternate strategy...

Let's boost Leif's attack into the stratosphere for this one. (I went to Patton's offscreen and redistributed the two Super Peppers to him as well, and adjusted everyone's maximum HP. Most notably, Leif is at 9 HP here, perfect for Hard Charge + Last Attack shenanigans.)

Time for round two!

Click me for video!

35 - Reckless For Glory! (Bonus Boss)

First things first, of course we don't have to spy them again. That's convenient.

Leif starts out with Hard Charge.

Vi throws him a Squash Tart, giving him Attack Up and also activating Weak Stomach.

Then we can do absolutely ludicrous damage with Ice Rain.

And then we can cast it again after a relay. Even with exhaustion, this is just crazy damage.

Kina's already down for the count, and Maki's down to 12 HP. That was fast!

We can handle one swing from Maki.

Yin tries to heal him, but I don't think it's going to make much of a difference.

Let's just keep the rain coming.

That was more than enough. Yin hasn't shown any ability to harm us thus far, so what will happen when she's the last one standing?

Yin just flees.

Two turns. That's all it took. Ice Rain is pretty busted.

I tend to think it's more fun to fight them at least somewhat fairly, but if you just want to cheese the fight, this method is very reliable. (I don't think I remembered to in this demonstration, but it's a good idea to put First Plating on Leif if you're doing this, otherwise you're still vulnerable to bad RNG when Maki attacks.)

It will be an honor to let you try again, Sir Maki!
Heh, Kabbu can be savage without noticing...
...Here, this is for all the items you've spent.

If you ever want to spar again, let us know. We've learned quite a bit.
You got it!

The conversation after beating them a second time is a bit different, and once again we get 75 berries for a reward.

For completeness... what happens if we let them defeat us?

Unbelievable...
You can challenge us again... when you feel you're up to par.

We get to see this conversation instead, and they don't give us anything. In the latest patch, v1.1.2, you get back any items you used if you lose the fight (though not if you win), but that wasn't the case in prior versions.

Also, there are a few moves we didn't see. Let's have a look at those now.

Kina has Mite Burgers, which she'll feed to Maki (and only Maki). This heals him for 6 HP and gives him HP regeneration (2 HP a turn for 3 turns).

If you check Maki's bestiary entry, it tells us that Mite Burgers are his new favourite food. It's pretty cute that Kina keeps these on hand for him.

Maki has this leaping slam which hits the entire party for base 6 damage. We got pretty lucky not seeing this one; this is easily his most devastating attack, especially if you're running with low HP strategies and relying on Taunt like I am. Outside of the team-up attack, this is the only attack they have that gets around Taunt to hit the other two bugs.

Yin has a variant on Cleanse, which cures her allies of negative status effects (specifically, Poison/Freeze/Sleep/Numb). She'll only use this if Maki or Kina are suffering from a condition it can remove, and not always then.

And finally, here's a demonstration of Maki using one of his normal attacks when charged, if Kina isn't able to join in the team attack. This is usually less scary than the team attack itself... but the slam with further boosts would really hurt.

And there we have it, that's pretty much everything there is to cover about the fight with Team Maki! It definitely feels like a fair, straightforward challenge, which is pretty fitting for a "friendly" match between rivals and definitely feels different in comparison to our other big fights. It's also the first time the game has given us multiple opponents with this kind of durability; even though the individual characters' movesets are smaller than many other bosses, there's a lot going on taken all together. I quite like this fight, even if it's a bit on the easy side once you understand how to handle it. By the time you reach endgame, you have so many tools available to you that there isn't much you can't trivialise by combining those tools thoughtfully.

Of course... we still have one major fight yet to come. That's for next time. I'll see you then!

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 25, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Really incredible how well balanced the game is, from tip to tail.

(btw the first leafbug fight video link is borked)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I thought Yin would develop into her next stage at a crucial point of the main story, but this works very well, too. The fight with Maki's team is nicely done, and I appreciate that you don't have to knock out Yin if you don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

Really incredible how well balanced the game is, from tip to tail.

(btw the first leafbug fight video link is borked)

Heh, it probably says something about the game that I genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic about "balance" or not.

Thanks for the catch, I've fixed the video link.

Torrannor posted:

I thought Yin would develop into her next stage at a crucial point of the main story, but this works very well, too. The fight with Maki's team is nicely done, and I appreciate that you don't have to knock out Yin if you don't want to.

My first time through I was definitely also expecting Yin to be relevant to the main plot. I think it ends up working pretty well that her resolution is in the postgame, it feels like the right kind of stakes for a thing you can resolve during mostly-peacetime and keeps her from being a plot McGuffin type thing.

IIRC, some of the devs have said a big part of their motivation with Yin was that they wanted to make sure the game depicted at least one actual metamorphosis, rather than only talking about larvae in the lorebooks.