Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Did they ever fix the bug where boats randomly smash themselves to bits? A big part of why I burned out last time was because I lost my 3rd longboat that way and didn’t have near enough resources to replace it.

Otherwise are there any tips to mitigate that problem? I’m in the middle of trying to move my base into the plains so I’m not sure what the best course of action would be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Where have you been leaving your boat? Because I've honestly never had that problem. Like the only way it'll get smashed is if it's attacked by monsters who cannot path to you (generally because you are in the boat), or if the waves are really high and causing it to hit the bottom.

I just leave mine like 10 feet offshore and it's always fine. Alternatively drive it up on the shore, smash it and grab the mats, and stick them in a chest

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Eels are the bane of my existence when I’m in the swamps, for my boats getting wrecked :argh:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did they ever fix the bug where boats randomly smash themselves to bits? A big part of why I burned out last time was because I lost my 3rd longboat that way and didn’t have near enough resources to replace it.

Otherwise are there any tips to mitigate that problem? I’m in the middle of trying to move my base into the plains so I’m not sure what the best course of action would be there.

you are probably too close to the shore and hitting underwater rocks, which can basically destroy boats instantly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dock at home. Sensible parking in the wild.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Last time a biome was added, it didn't break saves. Any previously explored Mistlands areas on your map were messed up because the placeholder terrain was already written to the world and wouldn't be overwritten by going back there, but any unexplored Mistlands would populate as intended. I assume it will be the same way with the Ashlands here.

Thanks!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Icon Of Sin posted:

Eels are the bane of my existence when I’m in the swamps, for my boats getting wrecked :argh:
Cheap little base with a portal and chest next to a crypt in a fully enemy cleared area and then just cart out the iron because you also spent a little time clearing out trees and raising land?

My favorite was doing all of that and forgetting the exact path into/out of the swamp. "My Black Forrest boat port is not that far away, maybe I should just portal back to that and walk my way back here to refresh my memory? Nahh". Yoked up, I wandered into a tiny corner of plains, was a little too new to the cart usage so I couldn't disengage, and got spanked by deathsquitos and trolls that I hadn't quite mastered. Took me a good hour to clean myself out of that one.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The bugfix completely fixed Ashlands for me, now it operates like a normal zone and not vampire survivors lol

Burns
May 10, 2008

So getting to ashlands:

Ive not actually tried this but I do think it is possible to make it there in a longship. So long as your longship survives long enough to get to those pillar rocks, which from youtube vids ive seen seems possible, that border the ashland. Assuming you get there, it may be possible to place a workbench on them (this will determine the viability of this strat). If so, you can then place a portal there but also use beams to essentially create a bridge to other pillars and essentially bridge your way into the Ashlands without the need for the new ship.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did they change something with Ashlands in the patch? Last time I played through you could just sail down there in anything, even a raft, and run around the empty area with no problems. Maybe a few fire ball chucker things if you found a spawner fire fountain, but nothing else. Just hilly/rocky empty nothing.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Burns posted:

So getting to ashlands:

Ive not actually tried this but I do think it is possible to make it there in a longship. So long as your longship survives long enough to get to those pillar rocks, which from youtube vids ive seen seems possible, that border the ashland. Assuming you get there, it may be possible to place a workbench on them (this will determine the viability of this strat). If so, you can then place a portal there but also use beams to essentially create a bridge to other pillars and essentially bridge your way into the Ashlands without the need for the new ship.

Every single map I make completely over the top logistics efforts. Huge roads through swamps, giant roads up the sides of mountains, bridges between plains pillars, bridges between mistlands mountains. So my immediate thought was to explore the entire border from east to west against the ashlands and try to build a bridge from the mainland to those pillars and keep building from there. It may well be too deep to do that, though.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Burns posted:

So getting to ashlands:

you can place workbenches on the pillars, and frankly I would recommend building your initial forward base on one because you will be swarmed when you actually land. there's no real reason not to build the big ship so you can get close without needing to bridge 10 pillars from the periphery though, it doesn't require anything special.

edit: to give an idea of how aggressively you'll be swarmed, I built my forward base on a pillar and the mobs still aggro and walk out into the water to my pillar to try and get me.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 25, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Did they change something with Ashlands in the patch? Last time I played through you could just sail down there in anything, even a raft, and run around the empty area with no problems. Maybe a few fire ball chucker things if you found a spawner fire fountain, but nothing else. Just hilly/rocky empty nothing.

The Ashlands update is released on the beta branch for testing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Zodium posted:

you can place workbenches on the pillars, and frankly I would recommend building your initial forward base on one because you will be swarmed when you actually land. there's no real reason not to build the big ship so you can get close without needing to bridge 10 pillars from the periphery though, it doesn't require anything special.

edit: to give an idea of how aggressively you'll be swarmed, I built my forward base on a pillar and the mobs still aggro and walk out into the water to my pillar to try and get me.

I haven't been yet but does the boiling sea stop at the pillars? If not does it do damage to you or the monsters?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I haven't been yet but does the boiling sea stop at the pillars? If not does it do damage to you or the monsters?

you yes, the monsters no. it goes all the way to the shore.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've been playing solo on a save I've been running since EA launch and I'm really curious to see how hosed up the firelands terrain generation gets around the areas I've already explored.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really hope some of the mods get updated eventually; I feel like as time has gone on there's been some movement away.

Most sailing, craft from boxes, and perma-fuel torches, but the plant easily/everything is nice too. Tiny QoL stuff.

E: and yeah I can't tell whether I'm making a mistake not using the Update World mod since this update supposedly should mess with the terrain if I wasn't near it. Or whether I should or not, tbh. The main difference is that it would regenerate the Ashlands content so I could potentially have a larger area right?

E: the drakkar needs a bound giant wisplight effect in its mouth.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 26, 2024

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

E: and yeah I can't tell whether I'm making a mistake not using the Update World mod since this update supposedly should mess with the terrain if I wasn't near it. Or whether I should or not, tbh. The main difference is that it would regenerate the Ashlands content so I could potentially have a larger area right?

Mistlands update enlarged mistlands biomes on new worlds and if you played on old world, you would get smaller mistlands. I think Ashlands update just straight up replaces old ashlands region with updated one, even if you already explored that region, so world upgrade shouldn't be necessary.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Has anyone tested out the fire propagation feature in either meadows or black forest yet?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Mistlands update enlarged mistlands biomes on new worlds and if you played on old world, you would get smaller mistlands. I think Ashlands update just straight up replaces old ashlands region with updated one, even if you already explored that region, so world upgrade shouldn't be necessary.

Gotcha. So I'll get smaller Ashlands regardless.

Also holy gently caress that landing is a monster. I tried it with mage shield and frost staff and got murdered. I think I need to try heavier armor and to try parrying/archery.

E: nope, needed to mage harder. Made a decent beachhead and started getting some of the new resources. This game owns.

E2: the stone portals can connect to regular portals so you can oneway move metals thank God, because getting the resources to make multiples is a giant pain.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 27, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The fortresses make such insane bases once you take them, ai forces really can’t touch you at that point and you have so much room to do everything you need.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Gotcha. So I'll get smaller Ashlands regardless.

Also holy gently caress that landing is a monster. I tried it with mage shield and frost staff and got murdered. I think I need to try heavier armor and to try parrying/archery.

E: nope, needed to mage harder. Made a decent beachhead and started getting some of the new resources. This game owns.

E2: the stone portals can connect to regular portals so you can oneway move metals thank God, because getting the resources to make multiples is a giant pain.

yeah sword and board absolutely didn't work for me so I'm having to finally level elemental magic. I like to think my trapped golem is really enjoying his frost shower.

haven't made a stone portal yet, but I'm a little worried they're going to make the world feel much smaller. having to transport metals by ship is basically the only thing holding together a sense of scale for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Firebert posted:

The fortresses make such insane bases once you take them, ai forces really can’t touch you at that point and you have so much room to do everything you need.

Oh cool, I've been looking for a new base area and nothing in the Ashlands has done it for me yet. I much prefer how the Mistlands ruins are all or mostly buildpieces and most importantly build pieces you can repair and interact with. I tried repairing/slightly renovating a ruined cathedral to make a sort of forward base and it just looks bad.

I haven't seen a fortress yet but I'm looking forward to it.

I also tried future-proofing my hall, town and portal hub for additional upgrades but my armory definitely hasn't been able to keep up so I may need to just make an entirely new one. Some of the new Ashwood decorations look great too so I'll have to figure out where they go.

And while I like the aesthetic, my manufacturing areas are kinda far apart (workshop+forge+smelting down near my docks, black forge+galdr+eitr all together elsewhere) and I could stand to rebuild the latter though I really like the open air look I got for the galdr setup. So a big new area to renovate seems exciting.