Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

reminds me of a conversation i had

"The resin printed figures are nice, but you can't use them at a Games Workshop store, right?"

"My friend, that is a feature, not a bug."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

reminds me of a conversation i had

"The resin printed figures are nice, but you can't use them at a Games Workshop store, right?"

"My friend, that is a feature, not a bug."

lol this is the wackest poo poo ive ever heard. makes me happy im a historical wargamer

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol this is the wackest poo poo ive ever heard. makes me happy im a historical wargamer

I'm not sure they still do this for pr reasons,. But non-gw paint used to get you kicked out of painting competitions with their models (maybe even some tournaments?)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Meh, I've used printed models at local game stores that tried to implement "no printed models" rules. Get the right :filez: and once the primer/paint is on them there's no way to tell without a microscope.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah gw is the worst and i will happily put down my many points of legally distinct 'space combat ladies' at home.

(unless you're following my current complaints in the general 3d printing thread, in which case you know i am printing gently caress-all right now except messes and garbage.)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

But why not support creators and sculptors who are putting in the work to make original sculpts than pirating lovely GW models? Idgi

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Southern Heel posted:

But why not support creators and sculptors who are putting in the work to make original sculpts than pirating lovely GW models? Idgi

I'm all for that as well. I've bought many stl model files and have a subscription to a couple patreons as well. My only real want for getting the old GW looking models is they'll already line up and look similar to the models I already own. I've found and own quite a few orc model files but they have their own art style and themes that make them very much unique.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

I mean, this is what I do. I think people are mostly locked into playing 40k, and are afraid to be confronted by weird neckbeards they play with who are concerned about taking money away from GW by using models from other companies.

Also the weird garbage where people say GW makes the best sculpts because they have the densest greebling

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm gonna start playing a campaign of Mordheim with some friends and I only need to print off a couple of old Warhammer Fantasy Orc archers and I really don't feel like spending a fortune on a huge box of them. I'm not even sure that those old Orc Archers I'm thinking of are even being sold anywhere (I'm talking about the old fantasy stuff and not the new Age of Sigmar models).

idk about bootlegs, but If you're just looking for some models that hew to more of the classic Warhammer feel (there's just something so wonderful about those old monopose pewters from the late 90s/early 00s, I totally get it) I've had a lot of good results from searching "oldhammer" on cults3d.

Otherwise, there are some creators on MMF who have sculpts that are definitely in that wheelhouse:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-orc-archers-multi-part-regiment-297267
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-orc-archers-highlands-miniatures-337716 (I'm pretty sure these draw heavy inspiration from the old monopose orc archers from the 6th ed starter set)
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-orc-archers-322363

Good luck with your Mordheim campaign!

forkis fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 6, 2024

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

forkis posted:

idk about bootlegs, but If you're just looking for some models that hew to more of the classic Warhammer feel (there's just something so wonderful about those old monopose pewters from the late 90s/early 00s, I totally get it) I've had a lot of good results from searching "oldhammer" on cults3d.

Otherwise, there are some creators on MMF who have sculpts that are definitely in that wheelhouse:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-orc-archers-multi-part-regiment-297267
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-orc-archers-highlands-miniatures-337716 (I'm pretty sure these draw heavy inspiration from the old monopose orc archers from the 6th ed starter set)
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-orc-archers-322363

Good luck with your Mordheim campaign!

Ah these definitely look like what I'm going for. Thank you

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I don’t have a printer but i just bought a set of these oldhammer style prints. Warriors not archers but i assume he does the arrez too:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-orc-warriors-unit-219246

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Check out Red Nebular / Jazzmantis for some real classic GW feeling sculpts.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The most convenient GW store to me was a 3 hour drive, only had a single table that was almost always occupied by the managers friends or off work staff, and had no bathroom. So I don't think I would ever go to a GW store. Most of the ones in the US I have visited, albeit that is a small number, were the same. I wonder if there is a big difference between Europe and US in regards to that. Not being able to play in a GW store has no impact on me printing out proxies. I don't do tournaments or large scale games either, aside from the table I set up and help run at our ultra-local, very small gaming convention.

I actually think that a lot of the alternative sculpts being offered for WHFB by other companies are better than the original WHFB sculpts and capture the energy and style a little better. Titan Forge and OPR has a lot of great sculpts available, that are a little closer to original WHFB/WH40k than some of the new releases. GW seems to have pivoted from slightly exaggerated sculpts to being more hyper-realistic or body horror for some of their AoS stuff, like the new orks/goblins, etc...

There certainly are a lot of rabid GW fans that think their models are beyond comparison though, and that is a little funny to me.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The last few few prints I’ve made, the raft has split between layers on one side of the bed. I have re-levelled the plate, a couple of times and nothing seems to be making a difference. The layers below and above seem to have printed perfectly fine.

Is this some obvious problem that I’m not aware of?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been having that come up as well, I think it's from over-loading the plate and possibly having my printer on an uneven surface. It's also cold AF in my basement, which certainly isn't helping.

Avatars of War are absolutely nails the 90's midhammer vibe on legally distinct fantasy wargame figures.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Pretty much all of the GW proxy models and makers are hosted on MyMiniFactory or Cults3d. Obviously the stuff that looks too similar to copyrighted models regularly get taken down.

If you find a model that was previously available from a maker but find out it got copyright struck, you can still probably find it by joining the maker's discord or telegram groups from their profiles on those sites

I agree with not really wanting 1:1 GW stuff.. it's much cooler that I can print tons of Imperial Guard infantry who ARENT Cadian or Krieger.

But it's also nice to have the option to print 1:1 GW looking pieces for special weapons etc, or to make the odd space marine or tau body to use up all the spare parts from an official kit.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 7, 2024

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

I get the arguments about older models being technically inferior to a lot of newer work which uses it as inspiration, and generally I agree! But I still make it a habit to snap up scans of decades OOP pewters whenever I can find them. Maybe it's just nostalgia clouding my better judgement, but printing and painting those models up feels to me like a kind of personal archival project. I spent years as a kid with limited allowance money staring at those things in the catalog, or from the other side of a table as they massacred my very poorly optimized Dark Elves army, and by god now that I can finally get ahold them I'm sure as hell going to print out a few.

My personal holy grail is finding some scans of the old Dogs of War range, but so far mostly no luck apart from some duelists.

forkis fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 8, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Ready for a stroll through Ultramar :getin:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Strolling through...Inwit, I guess.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Kylaer posted:

Strolling through...Inwit, I guess.

What sort of model holder/armed pedestal is that?

Just saw this hell yeah
https://youtu.be/-istquWjZ8M?si=JXTdcT42OcCfBKl9

tacosupreme fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 9, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
It's a cheap-trash-grade dental mirror, with a little lump of kids' modeling clay at the top to press the model onto. It (and the others) are also jammed into a big lump of the same modeling clay to hold them upright.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For a min there I thought someone rebooted the old vehicle voltron to be way more violent.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Does anybody do any 3d modelling for tabletop terrain at all? Looking for any tips as I've been starting to play with it to fill the void of stuff I want.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

tehsid posted:

Does anybody do any 3d modelling for tabletop terrain at all? Looking for any tips as I've been starting to play with it to fill the void of stuff I want.

Are you looking for information on how to do the modelling? Or do you mean any tribes/patreons that do a lot of terrain?

Eons of Battle has a cool youtube channel for Warhammer stuff and their Patreon is mostly terrain stuff. Futuristic though. Print Minis has some items that are not exactly terrain, but background pieces. Like little sci fi diners and medical booths and whatnot and they are good. One Page Rules has a lot of terrain for their army lines, so there is sci fi and fantasy stuff available. Station Forge just released a large trench system for their Dkok proxy line. It is in this month's tribe, and up for general sale next month.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Oh I mean actually modelling the stuff. Just any pitfalls to worry about or clever tips to speed stuff up. I've got my head around it for the most part, but I'm always down for tips.

But thanks! I'm still going to look into Eons!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Are you designing for SLA or FDM?

I have printed a lot of FDM terrain, and I usually kitbash other peoples stuff not design it from scratch, but the biggest pitfall I ran into is to avoid the temptation to hollow everything out while designing like with resin. Large terrain piece printing goes faster and somehow uses less filament when you leave everything solid and do like 5% infill.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tehsid posted:

I just stared modeling stuff for the Shatterpoint Tabletop Simulator mod, and am thinking if I fancy some of the pieces up, I can print them, so I'd love to hear any tips you figure out, and I'll do the same. There is a 3d modeling thread somewhere, but I don't know if terrain for printing would be more appropriate there or here. Plus I don't want all the 3d pros to laugh at my dumb questions....

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I feel you. And will do. I'm finding a lot of the information out there for modelling only half applies for tabletop terrain so it's a bit hit and miss.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I was job hunting and while I didn't find a job a guy is trying to sell me a Creatily Ender 3 Pro for five bucks. I can probably make some neat terrain or something, right?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I was job hunting and while I didn't find a job a guy is trying to sell me a Creatily Ender 3 Pro for five bucks. I can probably make some neat terrain or something, right?

I wouldn't expect it to work right for $5, but I have two of them that I use to print terrain (among other things) and they work great. You might have to put a lot of time into tuning it, which could be as involved as partially disassembling/reassembling it and replacing parts. For $5, it's not much of a gamble.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Dude says it works and he just wants in someone's hands who will use it. Still, low risk.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Go for it man. And if it works, grab a bltouch! And off you go.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Small M12 GMC?

Small M12 GMC. First ever full model 3d print, and it turned out pretty good! Now to dial things in more.

Also, holy crap the detail

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Always neat to get a printer working out well. Next up an air brush for priming then an entirely new hobby section for painting then you have to store or display it then transport...

Gooning the hell out with that keyboard though.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
One of the very few things that I miss from a plastic kits vs. printed one are vehicle crew. It's getting better but most of them are still hyper-detailed vehicles crewed by ghosts because the sculptor just understandably didn't want to spend time making them.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have a good source on some "dark mechanics" models?

I want a bunch of evil machine dudes, tipping into demon possession etc but just barely

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

w00tmonger posted:

I want a bunch of evil machine dudes, tipping into demon possession etc but just barely

Makers Cult has Dark Techno, and Solwyte has a ton of stuff.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

The Scavengers by StationForge might be in the realm of what you're looking for.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Arven posted:

The Scavengers by StationForge might be in the realm of what you're looking for.

They have a few version called the Pythonicas or something similar that are especially evil looking ones. But they only have a few. I think the only troops are the flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Yeah, I've got a bunch of the StationForge stuff, including Scavengers (which I'm working on a small force of, to go up against some Egyptian-themed Necron proxies from Star Pharaoh), and the bulk of them don't appear to be particularly demonic/Chaos-tinged. Though of course, someone could convert/paint them up that way if they so desired.