Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

I doubt Ann Coulter will give that money back.

Interesting to find out about Ann Coulter's dark history of stealing anime fansub money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

All tapes were given to the Internet Archive & are currently being digitized.

Edit: mods, can I post the link to the Archive where people can see crappy 25 year old VHS copies of obscure tv shows? Sorry, I don't want to get banned over anime but do want people to see it.

Mr_Schmoo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 21, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Sorry, I don't want to get banned over anime

One can hardly imagine a greater dishonor.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1395539983889489921

God bless him.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Edit: mods, can I post the link to the Archive where people can see crappy 25 year old VHS copies of obscure tv shows? Sorry, I don't want to get banned over anime but do want people to see it.

Send it to me I'll post it.

edit: there's not much up there now and it's slow as balls since it's still generating thumbnails and stuff. Probably gonna have to wait a month or so, but the very first thing they archived was Black Lion so you know they have good taste. He's looking for volunteers to help if anyone else is interested.

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1395143242367258626

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 22, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Post it and I hereby volunteer to take your place if you get banned

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was gonna wait a bit for more stuff to go up but hey if you're offering

https://archive.org/details/fansubmarine

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Mr_Schmoo posted:

It belonged in a museum, and it's been done. Bravo!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s not quite VCR level old but I remember back when Code Geass was first airing and the fansubbers kept leaving in this “Morning Rescue” commercial and everyone had fun memeing about it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think the fansubs from at least the first season broadcast were pan-and-scan too

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

It’s not quite VCR level old but I remember back when Code Geass was first airing and the fansubbers kept leaving in this “Morning Rescue” commercial and everyone had fun memeing about it.

I thought that was Madoka

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr_Schmoo posted:

dude gently caress yes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Sorry I'm so late to seeing this but yeah it's fine :)

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Coxswain Balls did you still need Nadesico.rm? let me know, I got it covered

Also lol at that taking more than an hour to copy to the drive once upon a time

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh gently caress. My two weeks since my second shot just passed so I haven't been able to visit my parents place to do some digging, but I know for sure those are the same files. PM me and we'll work something out, I have the original ADV DVDs but I definitely want to see how those compare to my memory, all watching on a 15" CRT monitor.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
This isn't old fansub-related per-se...

Because it's old commercial VHS rip related. :unsmigghh:

I've managed to extract all but episode 5 of ~the first~ Eva rip, the one where no one in Anglosphere internet discussion really understood what the gently caress was going on because at 36MB an episode subtitles were just a blur at the bottom of the screen. Ep 5 looks promising too, unlike most of my old fansub discs the media side isn't wormed, the read side is just a little scratched.

If anyone's aware of where to dl a Vivo codec that will run on 64-bit Windows, or even an old-rear end official Vivo codec I can run in a Win98 VM, that would be real drat awesome.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mandoric posted:

I've managed to extract all but episode 5 of ~the first~ Eva rip, the one where no one in Anglosphere internet discussion really understood what the gently caress was going on because at 36MB an episode subtitles were just a blur at the bottom of the screen. Ep 5 looks promising too, unlike most of my old fansub discs the media side isn't wormed, the read side is just a little scratched.

If anyone's aware of where to dl a Vivo codec that will run on 64-bit Windows, or even an old-rear end official Vivo codec I can run in a Win98 VM, that would be real drat awesome.
Hell yeah, I watched a few of those vivo files before ordering the show on illicit VCDs and watching that way.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Violet_Sky posted:

I thought that was Madoka

It had to be something else, I remember Morning Rescue and I havent seen Geass

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Morning Rescue was Madoka, unless some other show/fansub group also had it.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Mandoric posted:

Haha, wow! That was the rip I used when I started my High School anime club back in 2000 (I was a very cool kid...). Screening EoE in the school auditorium was cool. I remember even back then Vivo being a bit of a pain to find and get running right. I think I still have my CDs, so I'll check on ep 5 too.

I also have a good amount of Buu-saga DBZ RealPlayer files that were VHS rips, too. I'll dig out my old cd binder and see what I got.

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 28, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Miami Mike needs an anime

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Just to follow up, specifically 32-bit MPlayer (the Hungarian one that's actually named MPlayer, not anything else that abbreviates to it) with the codec pack unzipped to its directory and -codecs-file ivvideo.dll will play old Vivos if you happen to find them somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibiboi
Jan 31, 2023
Oh wow! This is super amazing. I'm so glad I found this thread.

I actually currently started collecting fansubs, since I finished digital archiving all my Sailor Moon tapes. I'm kind of doing everything now that I couldn't do when I was a kid.

That said, if anyone has any fansubs they'd like to get rid of, please let me know!

I'd also be interested in the .rm RealMedia encodes of Sailor Moon, any encodes of Yu Yu Hakusho, Kodocha, Wedding Peach, etc. I love watching them in low quality, it brings joy to my heart haha

Under 15 posted:

Coxswain Balls did you still need Nadesico.rm? let me know, I got it covered

Also lol at that taking more than an hour to copy to the drive once upon a time
Ahhh... the way my heart would light up every time I opened a folder and saw it littered with RealMedia files :carol: I have a Macbook now, and I wish RealPlayer was still a thing so I can see the RealPlayer icons again.

chibiboi fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 31, 2023