Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

I'm not about to try putting them in the washing machine so I just sometimes rinse them and let them dry

If you want to not be gross and wash them every time you use them I have no idea whether they would hold up to that indefinitely

I usually soak and scrub mine in the tub and let them dry flat. I got the triple 8s after using moxys for a while because the inners could be removed/replaced, so as long as your rinsing has been fine I’ll be happy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I use the fattest pads I could find the 187 killer pro (slim and normal one set of each). Slim knee uses a full sleeve backing which is much more comfortable than the normal pro's velcro, but the slim can get pushed out of the way for extremely weird falls (still protected on impact, just got a small scrape afterwards).

For washing you want to take the padded parts out if they're removable then I put them all in a big container with wqrm water and a bottle of white vinegar for half an hour. Takes a few months for them to get stinky again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

No Wave posted:

I use the fattest pads I could find the 187 killer pro (slim and normal one set of each). Slim knee uses a full sleeve backing which is much more comfortable than the normal pro's velcro, but the slim can get pushed out of the way for extremely weird falls (still protected on impact, just got a small scrape afterwards).

For washing you want to take the padded parts out if they're removable then I put them all in a big container with wqrm water and a bottle of white vinegar for half an hour. Takes a few months for them to get stinky again.

I found I don’t like the 187/Moxy as they get pushed out the way all the same, I think because of the fairly wide gap that can form on a bend between the sleeve and the plastic. I think my legs have gotten too skinny/muscular compared to where they were when I started using these pads, too, and am hoing to find something that better fits me :) if i ever do derbyish stuff again I’ll wear the 187s for that.

I’m doing better right now with the triple 8s that aren’t full sleeve but still velcro and a smaller plastic shield, but would love to add shin padding and I miss the extra compression of a full sleeve. This is why I like the idea of the knee/shin pads above.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I really like 187's wrist guards but triple 8 def makes the superior knee pad.

I really should wear pads more and every time I hurt myself I tell myself I should have been wearing pads. Still do knees, wrists and helmet if I'm learning something new at the skatepark but most of the time I'm just skating on walking paths or skating lines in the park that are second nature.

tldr; I should wear pads

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ennui wrist guards are by far the best I've used. https://powerslide.com/products/city-wristguad

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Ennui wrist guards are by far the best I've used. https://powerslide.com/products/city-wristguad

Well those look both dope and exactly like what i’ve been imagining as an ideal.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Those look better than whatever wristguards I'm using now.

I also have hillbilly wrist guard gloves for colder weather and I guess they're more convenient than separate gloves and wrist guards except that they don't have the stuff so you can use them with a touch screen which is somewhat annoying (Also they aren't warm enough for really cold weather)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Pics pls? I typically dont have my legs covered since I’m a dresses and skirts girl so sweaty legs can just be wiped after

It was these I think;
https://www.grindhouse.eu/shop/schutzausruestung-alle/ennui-blvd-knee-gaskets.html

They seem to have gone up in price (and ennui stuff isn't cheap), maybe I'll try them again.

I like gasket pads for wearing under trousers but these are just way too much for that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I just throw my hardshell pads in the washing machine in a mesh bag every now and again, seems fine so far!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

They don't have full shin coverage but I've been using these knee pads for a year I guess and I'm pretty fond of them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GKNGJD1

I got them in XXL from amazon warehouse (they're normally pretty expensive so I probably wouldn't have gotten them otherwise) but they're pretty nice

I think they fit/stay on better than the basic foam ones and have more coverage but aren't too bulky while still having a hard plastic part

These arrived today (my injured leg was an M and my better leg an L, I went with L), and they are fuckin killer thank you so much for the rec. far cleaner and more secure fit than the 187s and the triple 8s without being any less comfortable or threatening my mobility. Got 18 mi down in them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

These arrived today (my injured leg was an M and my better leg an L, I went with L), and they are fuckin killer thank you so much for the rec. far cleaner and more secure fit than the 187s and the triple 8s without being any less comfortable or threatening my mobility. Got 18 mi down in them.
Nice, I'm glad they're working for you

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/PicturesFoIder/status/1718903007109427663?s=20

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The best of the Rhett and Link ads imho

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Stupid kids. Getting high and skating is fun af. Also, who passes up free van candy? An idiot, that's who.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah graffiti under the bridge would be pretty good and you can definitely do that on skates.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

A whole bunch of kids vs the geezers from drugs-forum on their way to the dentist

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yeah graffiti under the bridge would be pretty good and you can definitely do that on skates.

Jet set radio future af

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

Jet set radio future af

I know of at least two artists in NYC who have been at this practice since the late 80s/early 90s. It’s really useful for bailing a scene.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

I know of at least two artists in NYC who have been at this practice since the late 80s/early 90s. It’s really useful for bailing a scene.

I am rarely jel but this is one of those moments. I could never be this cool.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

"Prison is full of people that have never roller skated"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You don't end up in prison because you're at the hospital explaining how you somehow turned your tailbone into a fine powder.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
STOP RAINING GOD DAMNIT

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

STOP RAINING GOD DAMNIT

:yossame:

also my god surely I'm nearly out of illnesses to catch bowm

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

How fast do y’all average on your street skating, and what kinda skates are you on? I’m at 7.2 mph on heeled quads, and with the assistance of an incline sprinting at up to 36 mph. I figure the inline folks are likely to average a bit higher on both but I’m curious by home much.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Tennis shoe style quads, so no lift. Double-action 45° axles. 1 mph because I dance everywhere.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

STOP RAINING GOD DAMNIT

Just started “leaves all over the trail” season here

Grassy Knowles posted:

How fast do y’all average on your street skating, and what kinda skates are you on? I’m at 7.2 mph on heeled quads, and with the assistance of an incline sprinting at up to 36 mph. I figure the inline folks are likely to average a bit higher on both but I’m curious by home much.

As a mildly in-shape nearly-40er, on my 3x125s I can push 20 on a flat sprint, but average on a trail is more like 12-14

mystes
May 31, 2006

Street skating on inline skates I think my average moving speed usually ends up only being like 10mph

I haven't been skating on bike paths as much recently but I assume it would be more like 12+mph on a decent bike path without too many intersections, since street skating my speed is constrained a lot by having to slow down in advance of intersections, skate on the sidewalk in places, slow down to let cars pass, etc. and the surfaces aren't always great

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 3, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Street skating on inline skates I think my average moving speed is usually like 10mph

I haven't been skating on bike paths as much recently but I assume it would be somewhat higher on a decent bike path without too many intersections, since street skating my speed is constrained a lot by having to slow down in advance of intersections, skate on the sidewalk in places, etc. a lot rather, and the surfaces aren't always great

that's honestly my biggest constraint as well, there are a few spots I've been going well out of my way to add to my routes lately just because I know that I can get a favorable light pattern with low traffic and sail in the high teens for a few blocks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I think in practice figuring out things like what point it's most efficient to cross the street at, the best way to get through each intersection, or the timing of the intersections is probably more important for speed when street skating than your raw skating speed

Probably the second most important factor would be how good you are at stopping because the better you are the faster you can safely go

It is nice when you get sections where you can actually go fast though

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

Street skating on inline skates I think my average moving speed usually ends up only being like 10mph

I haven't been skating on bike paths as much recently but I assume it would be more like 12+mph on a decent bike path without too many intersections, since street skating my speed is constrained a lot by having to slow down in advance of intersections, skate on the sidewalk in places, slow down to let cars pass, etc. and the surfaces aren't always great

Yeah same here. More than 10 is definitely sustainable on a nice straight flat but you hardly ever get those for more than a short period, and besides, dodging/irritating pedestrians is half the fun!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

dodging/irritating pedestrians is half the fun!

A significant motivator in my using skating as transport is the amount of interference from strangers I get when walking with my cane, so I do everything I can not to be in the way of pedestrians.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Skated 8 miles in mild but continual city rain
Here is what came off the suede of my skates

And the hardware

I’d show you how gross my acetone got but it’s new bearing time anyway so RIP to these G3s.

On that note, I’m switching to Bronson Raw for this winter unless something goes wrong! Feels great for the 3 mi I did this AM though :)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

On that note, I’m switching to Bronson Raw for this winter unless something goes wrong! Feels great for the 3 mi I did this AM though :)

40 miles later; Raws are fuckin dope. I’m getting better rolls from them than the g3s and averaging about .5mi an hour faster than the last time I switched bearings. Been hauling about 35 lbs doing errand runs so that’s 7.5mph. (The backpack usually takes away 1-2mph).

I’m being a little more careful about what I roll into but also throwing these shieldless bearings into an acetone bath is dog simple with a $8 bearing press that I think i’ll just plan on a biweekly wash and relube.

Is anyone else out wheelin or slicing this season?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Running no bearing shields at all seems a little scary to me

I haven't skated for like a week because i was busy for 2-3 days and then it's been raining but I think it's supposed to just be cloudy tomorrow so I'll hopefully get out if I have time

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
We had like a week long stretch of (admiteddly loving freezing) sunny days and I spent so much drat time speed skating in the park. Something about skating in the ice cold reminds me of being a kid and living back east going ice skating in winter time.

:3:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I haven't been for two months. Between being sick, it raining non stop, being sick again, raining, being sick and now constant rain it has *sucked*.

This happened last year and I basically didn't go from November until like March. I'll never have an excuse to buy some 4x90s if this keeps up!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Running no bearing shields at all seems a little scary to me

It’s how I used to do my last few washes of regular bearings anyway, but we’ll see how it goes with winter coming up. So far even with all the foliage it’s been mostly fine though I’ve bailed to sidewalk on a few streets with loose asphalt gravel. I did another 12 mi today and it’s still feelin good. I definitely don’t think it’s the answer for everyone cause it can definitely get hosed getting dirty but even if just doin it for a bit gets me better at bearing maintenance I’ll be happy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
My kid's first pair of roller skates showed up:

We've been going to the rink (2 hours away :baduk:) about three times a month and he's been asking about some. He loves skating and purple and quite honestly I am so excited to see that little face when he sees what's in the box.

Also changing out the fail rear end bearings for a set of reds knowing that since he's a little rink rat (:3:) a set will last him as long as the skates themselves.

Feeling heartwarmed over here, goons.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My kid's first pair of roller skates showed up:

We've been going to the rink (2 hours away :baduk:) about three times a month and he's been asking about some. He loves skating and purple and quite honestly I am so excited to see that little face when he sees what's in the box.

Also changing out the fail rear end bearings for a set of reds knowing that since he's a little rink rat (:3:) a set will last him as long as the skates themselves.

Feeling heartwarmed over here, goons.

That's so exciting! I hope your kiddo has a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Hey we made the papers!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hemed-spin.html

There were absolutely *loads* of people this year, 300 "tickets" sold and probably a bunch of people that didn't buy one and turned up anyway.

It wasn't too horrifically slow either, there were so many of us we blocked so many junctions at once that we basically had a rolling roadblock and managed to keep moving.