Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My FRs were doing that a bit until I realized the bearings weren't 100% pushed all the way in. I put the wheels on the workbench and put something flat on top and leaned all my weight on them to make sure the bearings were completely seated. Didn't look any different, but they spun properly after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Weather is clear for the weekend, got new (ish) frames, time to hit the weekend afternoon group skates for the first time in like 4 months.

All trains cancelled due to engineering works :negative:

Mauser posted:

My FRs were doing that a bit until I realized the bearings weren't 100% pushed all the way in. I put the wheels on the workbench and put something flat on top and leaned all my weight on them to make sure the bearings were completely seated. Didn't look any different, but they spun properly after that.

I replaced one set with some spare ones I had kicking around and that helps so yeah probably just needed reseating.

God it's a pain in the rear end getting bearings in and out.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Weather is clear for the weekend, got new (ish) frames, time to hit the weekend afternoon group skates for the first time in like 4 months.

All trains cancelled due to engineering works :negative:

I replaced one set with some spare ones I had kicking around and that helps so yeah probably just needed reseating.

God it's a pain in the rear end getting bearings in and out.

Get a press! Imagine never having to deal with a lovely bearing tool ever again. It's magical.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
If you own three or more pairs of skates the next pair you buy should be a bearing press

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Bleh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

Get a press! Imagine never having to deal with a lovely bearing tool ever again. It's magical.

Yeah that's a good idea. Getting the drat things out is a pain, the few times I've bothered doing it I've just use the skate tool to jam in and bend at an angle to pop them out, probably not a good idea!

I think this will work: https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-bearings-tool, don't really want to buy a full on press for something I do rarely. I don't think I've *ever* changed the bearings on my 4x80s. Maybe when I switched the wheels to Hydrogens but that was years ago.

Got more of a chance to use the Endless 90 frames switched back to my FR boots and these are brilliant. The extra length makes weak side crossovers so much more stable and even running through corners on them becomes easier.

Tbf this might also be because the length forces me lower so they don't clip.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I think this will work: https://bonesbearings.com/bones-reg-bearings-tool, don't really want to buy a full on press for something I do rarely. I don't think I've *ever* changed the bearings on my 4x80s. Maybe when I switched the wheels to Hydrogens but that was years ago.

Personally hate the bearing tool and also at $20 it's still like half the price of just getting a cheapo press. IDK, my goon.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you look around you should be able to pick up a bearing tool like that for ~$5.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FYI I don't think that type of bearing puller works with inline skate wheels (I guess the spacer gets in the way or something but I'm not sure how skateboard / quad skate wheels are different that it can work in those)

I use the Rollerblade Bladetool Pro which works decently well for getting bearings out of inline wheels but it doesn't help with getting them in

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 6, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah I think depending on the spacers it might not work. Getting them in I'm not quite so worried about as I could in theory use one of the various tools I have and in fact some of the press tools are basically just screw clamps.

I'll look at the remover though as my current approach seems liable to damage something!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Morning Skate: Completed

Afternoon Skate: Pending...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
God my feet are exceptionally hosed up today. Only got about 20 minutes into my second skate and realized if I wanted to be able to skate tomorrow I needed to stop. Need more dry days soy feet can once again become a giant mighty callous

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Disappointed this thread somehow made it to the second page of my bookmarks without a single one of you announcing you skated. SKATE YOU.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Oh. I skated. Learned a new skill yesterday at the rink that I'm trying to be able to do on concrete. Starting to hit a loving mean front/back manual while swirling so hittin that up as well. Flying through the air, of course, JUST CAUSE SKATE OR DIE MOTHERFUCKER

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Disappointed this thread somehow made it to the second page of my bookmarks without a single one of you announcing you skated. SKATE YOU.

It's raining all weekend again. It didn't for the one last Friday but I couldn't make it :(

and the forecast for next week is non-stop rain so I'm nearly at last year's "virtually zero from Christmas to Easter" spell of doing nothing

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Rain all day yesterday and 20mph winds today. I am a little tempted to go rollerblading today because going West would be a lot of fun, but not so much the return trip.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Supposedly 8 days with no rain. Gonna get my skate on tonight thanks to this glorious spring forward.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Supposedly 8 days with no rain. Gonna get my skate on tonight thanks to this glorious spring forward.

I hate you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:yeshaha:

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
I used to rollerblade as a teen. No longer a teen. I went to the skate shop last week and tried on a bunch of stuff, and ended up with the Rollerblade Macroblade Women's 90 for $200, because the fit felt right, it was more or less in-budget, my local pavement is lovely so I like the idea of a slightly larger wheel, and it came with a heel brake which I am definitely going to need while I re-learn how to skate.

My only hesitancy is that this skate is technically a soft boot, although there's some hard plastic caging that goes up the ankle. Are these okay to learn on, or should I swap out for a fully hard boot skate? I don't want to be cursed with silly ankles and bad habits.

EDIT: should have added that I plan to skate around my city for distance / exploration. Not currently planning to learn tricks or do any aggressive skating.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 14, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

I used to rollerblade as a teen. No longer a teen. I went to the skate shop last week and tried on a bunch of stuff, and ended up with the Rollerblade Macroblade Women's 90 for $200, because the fit felt right, it was more or less in-budget, my local pavement is lovely so I like the idea of a slightly larger wheel, and it came with a heel brake which I am definitely going to need while I re-learn how to skate.

My only hesitancy is that this skate is technically a soft boot, although there's some hard plastic caging that goes up the ankle. Are these okay to learn on, or should I swap out for a fully hard boot skate? I don't want to be cursed with silly ankles and bad habits.

EDIT: should have added that I plan to skate around my city for distance / exploration. Not currently planning to learn tricks or do any aggressive skating.
If you think you're going to stick with it and even more so if you plan to skate around streets with rough pavement and stuff and not just MUPs I would definitely recommend going straight to a hardboot skate. Like yeah it may be $100 more but you're going to regret buying the macroblade skates and want to upgrade almost immediately. If you have a store you can try them on in person that's even better.

If you want 90mm and they don't have any that are hard boot maybe try on rollerblade RB skates if they have them and then ask them to order the new rollerblade lightning 90 skates if they can?

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 14, 2024

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

mystes posted:

If you think you're going to stick with it and even more so if you plan to skate around streets with rough pavement and stuff and not just MUPs I would definitely recommend going straight to a hardboot skate. Like yeah it may be $100 more but you're going to regret buying the macroblade skates and want to upgrade almost immediately. If you have a store you can try them on in person that's even better.

If you want 90mm and they don't have any that are hard boot maybe try on rollerblade RB skates if they have them and then ask them to order the new rollerblade lightning 90 skates if they can?

Thank you for the advice!

If I'm willing to compromise on 90mm, would the RB cruiser itself be a decent option? I actually really like the way it looks.

I have to buy all different sizes for different pads to fit my weird body. Didn't realize how much getting everything piece by piece going to add on to my total cost :\

mystes
May 31, 2006

RB cruiser is fine as long as they fit you well imo. They're basically the same as most of the other rollerblade skates in terms of non-consumable parts aside from maybe fitting a little wider than twisters.

However, the cheaper rollerblade skates tend to come with garbage wheels. This isn't an issue while you're using a rubber brake but be aware that unless you buy a model that comes with supreme or hydrogen wheels, you may need to buy new wheels almost immediately if you start trying to learn other stopping techniques in the future, so if you have an opportunity to buy a model that comes with supreme or hydrogen wheels and it's not that much more expensive you might want to take that into account.

Personally I like 90mm but part of that is frame length and depending on your foot size that might have more tradeoffs (I wear 11.5M US for sneakers so the wheelbase with 90mm is basically the same as the length of my feet). There isn't necessarily a huge difference between 80 and 90 in terms of handling bumpier streets although it's not completely unnoticeable; it's not like the difference between 80 and 110 or 125 however.

80mm is probably fine in general and I think everyone has different preferences

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 14, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Hydrogen wheels are ace. I still regret selling my twisters for a ridiculously low price and not taking the wheels off because the street invaders that were on my fr1s wore down ridiculously quickly and I had to buy a set of hydrogens from new and they're expensive as hell (though cheaper back then).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yep it was the bearings not being completely flush. I bought one of these things to extract them more cleanly: https://powerslide.com/products/smart-bearing-remover-by-villy, cost a daft amount for what it is but it did work though it does take quite a lot of force to do it. Maybe these hubs are tight idk. Anyway, after doing that, giving them a wipe and running a tiny bit of oil round the hub I could re-seat them and tap them flush with a hammer after sandwiching between some flat plates.

Once done and refitted *much* better on that wheel.

Then I lost the tool lmao. I think when I eventually replace these wheels I'll do a full wheel and bearing set and just get them pressed in in the shop, but they're 85A so that's not cmginna be any time soon.

(Found the tool in my toolbox later).

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
lol well. I took your advice and turned in the Macroblades to get RB Pro X skates shipped to me instead, since they came with better quality stock wheels and weren't much more expensive than the Cruisers. After leaving me hanging for 3 days the skate shop just informed me that the RB Pro X is discontinued + sold out in my size, and actually they can't fulfill the exchange. They're offering a complimentary upgrade to a Twister XT.

I should take it, right.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

lol well. I took your advice and turned in the Macroblades to get RB Pro X skates shipped to me instead, since they came with better quality stock wheels and weren't much more expensive than the Cruisers. After leaving me hanging for 3 days the skate shop just informed me that the RB Pro X is discontinued + sold out in my size, and actually they can't fulfill the exchange. They're offering a complimentary upgrade to a Twister XT.

I should take it, right.
I would definitely take that. Just be aware that the sizing may be slightly more different between the macroblades and the twister xt than it would be with the rb skates, so make sure they fit ok and they're actually the right size for you when you get them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Prolly just get some quads

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
:shrug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Prolly just get some quads
don't listen to this :argh:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

don't listen to this :argh:

Def listen to this. This is everything that is right and good in the world

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I bought a pair of twister xts this year. They're the first skates I've been on in 30 years, and I haven't tried anything else to compare, but I'm very happy with them. Can't think of anything id change.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
rain. Rain. RAIN. New bearings for the rink on the way though, some fancy ones that I would never usually buy but since I have dedicated rink wheels now I decided to splurge. Went with the Qube Gold Swiss. Excited to see if I can feel the difference between these and my reds. Also got some rink hockey sticks for me and the kid so we can start playing some one on one and learning some fun as gently caress hockey drills. I was extremely sad to find out that they don't call it hardball hockey anymore. Still loving pumped up though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I got one weekend of not rain and finally had a chance to do the Sunday group skates and try these Endless 90mm frames out properly, they're great!

Maybe a little wobbly if I'm really going for it but that's more of me and the boot being half a size too big if I'm honest. Also one of the top buckles broke which didn't help.

But yeah, considering I haven't been much this year and am out of shape, these are fast and I haven't clipped one into the other at all!

Ofc now it's forecast to rain all the rest of the week :(

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It dried out?

It dried out!!

Got a couple hours of skating in today. Apparently whichever cosmic being controls the weather also reads this thread.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I need to replace the hiking socks I've been using for skating for years as I'm pretty sure they're wearing through completely now, any good recommendations?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yes actually! I just tried a new sock that blew my loving mind. Wigwam's ironman line is loving awesome. Caveat being if you wear a high top boot they might not serve your needs. That said, in a low-pro boot they are the most comfortable sock I've ever skated in.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Inlines for me so high tops only!

These ones were really good considering it's not what I bought them for, but maybe a bit thin now that I look at them. Problem I've had with a lot of sports socks is that they chafe, hiking again seem to be the best bet maybe.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I really like wrightsock coolmesh, they’re 2-ply and really helped with some chafing and blister issues due to weird feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I've been using zero padding smart wool socks for biking, skating and skiing and my favorite pair just wore out after two years. They're very comfy but can be fragile if you pull on them too hard putting them on. I love wool