Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I found the recording of the stream. Somehow watching their real faces all composited together as though they were sitting at one big desk, when they're obviously actually all looking at screens, is even more unpleasant than that animated opening.

Man, I really appreciate the medium of audio, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

griffin is the only brother still resisting clint-ification

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ivypls posted:

it would actually be one of the funniest things they ever did if they bought and wore mascot outfits of themselves

Justin wearing Griffin, and vice versa. Travis as himself of course.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

They got Nick Lutsko to do the theme music for this thing. Which means I'm 30 seconds in, and it's likely already peaked.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I miss Miggy so bad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

El Jeffe posted:

I miss Miggy so bad

Gone too soon

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I finished ep 4 of Versus Dracula, which was mostly them fighting a bunch of disembodied hands. Now I'm 20 minutes into ep. 5 and they're still fighting the hands. I don't want 0 action in my DnD podcast, I just want it to be more brisk. Gimme more character work please

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

grittyreboot posted:

I finished ep 4 of Versus Dracula, which was mostly them fighting a bunch of disembodied hands. Now I'm 20 minutes into ep. 5 and they're still fighting the hands. I don't want 0 action in my DnD podcast, I just want it to be more brisk. Gimme more character work please

The editing this season seems...less. In a recent episode, Travis' turn came up, and he sputtered for a moment, went silent for 5 or 10 seconds, then just said "come back to me." Seems like the whole exchange could have just been cut without losing anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
On Sawbones they're talking about having a hard time placing sponsors, so it could be that the brothers don't have the budget to pay their editor and Griffin's back to doing it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, they've not had many sponsors lately at all. The Besties launched a patreon in part due to that. It seems pretty dire out there. We need some more direct to consumer meal companies to start up so podcasts can get money.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I sort of assume the only reason the McElroy's don't have a patreon is out of loyalty to the company. I've always thought they'd make wayyyy more money by patreon than they do with the max fun network stuff, at least at the height of their popularity.

I'm presuming they still have a pretty enormous fanbase of super dedicated fans, so it probably still makes a ton of financial sense

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Neorxenawang posted:

The editing this season seems...less. In a recent episode, Travis' turn came up, and he sputtered for a moment, went silent for 5 or 10 seconds, then just said "come back to me." Seems like the whole exchange could have just been cut without losing anything.

I thought that was intentional, Travis seemed to have a plan and then when told no he basically went uhhhhh dang it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

They should have bailed from Max Fun a while ago, they’d def make more with a Patreon

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sankis posted:

Yeah, they've not had many sponsors lately at all. The Besties launched a patreon in part due to that. It seems pretty dire out there. We need some more direct to consumer meal companies to start up so podcasts can get money.

VC money is drying up so there are fewer companies getting funded on the premise of "we'll sell mattresses for $500, and it'll only cost us $550 per unit. we'll make up for it in volume, though"

AndrewP posted:

They should have bailed from Max Fun a while ago, they’d def make more with a Patreon

Jesse Thorn knows where they buried the 4th brother.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 20, 2024

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

McElroy Family Clubhouse absolutely seems like their first real attempt at finding a replacement for MBMBAM/moving away from MaxFun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Justin has rolled poorly for like 3 weeks straight, lmao

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

McElroy Family Clubhouse absolutely seems like their first real attempt at finding a replacement for MBMBAM/moving away from MaxFun.

I think it's a pretty clever idea. When Apple changed their policy on automatic downloads with iOS 17 the ad revenue from podcasts plummeted. The timing seems to coincide with the brothers getting more into streaming and I bet they found they were making way more from YouTube/TikTok than from Casper/Rocket Money/Stitch Fix reads.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It also makes it so they could still do some of their less/not profitable podcasts at a lower rate to act as filler weeks.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Fungalore is live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdwfkvpmVUA

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
the only reason i ever pay attention to max fun drive is sometimes Beef and Dairy Network Podcast will do something good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtMHVLl2H3c

I haven't seen them put out anything this year yet though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Entropic posted:

the only reason i ever pay attention to max fun drive is sometimes Beef and Dairy Network Podcast will do something good

For anyone that has access to BBC Sounds and hasn't heard it, there's a sketch show called Small Scenes on there written in part by Ben Partridge that shares a lot of both cast and mood with the Beef and Dairy Network.

Also it remains forever hilarious that Mike Wozniak is a qualified doctor.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fil5000 posted:

Also it remains forever hilarious that Mike Wozniak is a qualified doctor.

A modern day Graham Chapman!

Wozniak is hilarious in everything he’s been in, I loved his appearance on Taskmaster so much.

And Wozniak, Ben Patridge and Henry Paker have a non-MaxFun pod called Three Bean Salad that’s quite good. They have theme song jingles for whenever certain topics come up, like Flightless Birds, America or Mike’s dog Pam.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Entropic posted:

A modern day Graham Chapman!

Wozniak is hilarious in everything he’s been in, I loved his appearance on Taskmaster so much.

And Wozniak, Ben Patridge and Henry Paker have a non-MaxFun pod called Three Bean Salad that’s quite good. They have theme song jingles for whenever certain topics come up, like Flightless Birds, America or Mike’s dog Pam.

Graham Chapman, Graeme Garden and Harry Hill, doctors all. I think Wozniak was even at the same hospital and ward that Hill was at. It's not a LOT of the medical professional population, but it IS weird that it's happened as many times as it has.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

If you subscribe to Max Fun how do you get the bonus content? I want to listen to the Matt Doyle episode, preferably through the Apple podcasts app and not any sort of special player.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Skrill.exe posted:

If you subscribe to Max Fun how do you get the bonus content? I want to listen to the Matt Doyle episode, preferably through the Apple podcasts app and not any sort of special player.

If I recall correctly you have to log into the Maxfun site where you manage you subscription and somewhere on there there’s a boco link to an RSS feed you can load into any podcast app

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Entropic posted:

If I recall correctly you have to log into the Maxfun site where you manage you subscription and somewhere on there there’s a boco link to an RSS feed you can load into any podcast app

Sweet. Much appreciated.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

New Monster Factory is out and their absolute contempt for Starfield is honestly very, very funny

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Entropic posted:

Yep, and it's better now, you don't have to get a new feed every year and you can customize which shows show up it it so you don't need to sift through 1000 bonus episodes of the other poo poo on the network.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

omg chael crash posted:

New Monster Factory is out and their absolute contempt for Starfield is honestly very, very funny

They better have the title screen mod. You know the one.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Entropic posted:

They better have the title screen mod. You know the one.

If you’re referring to the orange lasagna cat they do.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Entropic posted:

this video got me to finally start listening to B&DN.

Ken Jeong also has an MD, while we're listing Patches Adams

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If anyone is interested in B&DN I highly recommend "A Matter of Life & Death" or "The Ballad of Parsnip Flendercroft" as starting points.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

lol I just re-listened to this and there's a max fun ad at the end for an old podcast called Bunker Buddies hosted by Travis which was apparently about prepper stuff?? somehow I had completely memory-holed that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

yeah travis had like 6 podcasts at a point and felt like he was abandoning one and starting another every 3 months

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sankis posted:

yeah travis had like 6 podcasts at a point and felt like he was abandoning one and starting another every 3 months

He was the first of them to go from having a day job to Just Doing Podcasts so it makes sense. I never listened to any of them though and I don't feel like I missed out

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

lol I just re-listened to this and there's a max fun ad at the end for an old podcast called Bunker Buddies hosted by Travis which was apparently about prepper stuff?? somehow I had completely memory-holed that.

wasnt his cohost for that kind of. "pro-prepper"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As I recall his co-host grew up in a pepper household and later got really spiritual and weird.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Was this during the time where he moved to LA for a bit? I vaguely remember him getting a gofundme together to pay for him and his wife to move across the country and then it felt like six months later he moved back again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DoctorWhat posted:

As I recall his co-host grew up in a pepper household and later got really spiritual and weird.

apparently yes

https://www.reddit.com/r/maximumfun/comments/lln8fd/comment/gns6g08/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Fil5000 posted:

Was this during the time where he moved to LA for a bit? I vaguely remember him getting a gofundme together to pay for him and his wife to move across the country and then it felt like six months later he moved back again.

I think so, it was also during the time when everyone in LA had a podcast that was just talking to someone else in LA about their new podcast