Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Guardians of the Globe would dispute that.

With the exception of Rudy, who was a horrific mutant, all the Guardians whose origins we know got their powers either from scientific experimentation or magic. Humans do not have innate abilities, which is what Viltrumites would be looking for in an outcross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The lack of quarantine procedures for people known to have been infested by a (dangerous, poorly understood) parasite was off putting to me.

I know I know it's a comic show, but modern NASA has quarantine procedures.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty crazy Dupli-Kate didn't like hold back her "prime" self in, like, a different ZIP code from their mission or something.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

It's pretty crazy Dupli-Kate didn't like hold back her "prime" self in, like, a different ZIP code from their mission or something.

I don't know whats real

Morrow fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 22, 2024

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You are misremembering that is future spoilers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Put a dupli-Kate on a relativistic-speed rocket so you've got a young version of yourself tucked away and you can live like hundreds of years.

Really Cecil did not think this power set through at all. How many can we get? Maybe you could field entire garrisons of dupli-Kates

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that Thaedus is voiced by a now 82 year old Optimus Prime!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
The Allen, Immortal and Invincible in space was incredibly dumb, but so funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Kind of feels like Allen should make some time to properly introduce himself to the Immortal. He's in a bad place right now and could use a reminder that not every other non-terrestrial lifeform wants to hurt him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Kind of feels like Allen should make some time to properly introduce himself to the Immortal. He's in a bad place right now and could use a reminder that not every other non-terrestrial lifeform wants to hurt him.

The Immortal is aware of that. When he said "I thought you were someone else" it's not like he could have confused Allen with Omni-Man. He just meant that he'd gone up there spoiling for a fight and didn't much care with whom. If he'd met Allen at another time he might have reacted differently.

And of course, Allen would be in the Guardians database as a threat because he'd been traveling to Earth for years to challenge its protectors.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hah, so Mark hosed up in not telling Cecil that Allen is a defender then. Or maybe he did, I can't remember. You'd think after Nolan's turn at the end of season 1 and Allen coming back to be all "hey, your dad's a Viltrumite!!!" the Mark would've been all "hey, turns out there's others out there in the universe that have our back, and that guy is one of them!"

Not that Cecil would necessarily believe him but

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aces High posted:

Hah, so Mark hosed up in not telling Cecil that Allen is a defender then. Or maybe he did, I can't remember. You'd think after Nolan's turn at the end of season 1 and Allen coming back to be all "hey, your dad's a Viltrumite!!!" the Mark would've been all "hey, turns out there's others out there in the universe that have our back, and that guy is one of them!"

Not that Cecil would necessarily believe him but

Allen had been showing up for years to have regular "fights" with Omni-Man that mysteriously never led to a conclusive outcome but did leave Omni-Man looking like a trusted defender of Earth. I very much doubt that Cecil would have trusted Mark's judgement that Allen wasn't a threat at that point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Even if Mark did tell Cecil, I can't imagine the situation with Immortal would've played out differently.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can only imagine if they do end up rescuing Nolan that there's gonna be the vibe of "You've done a lot of damage to the universe, and it's about time the universe got some use out of you." I'm also curious what Shapesmith is going to do now that his disguise is useless. Will he make a new face for PR, or will he just allow himself to be the Martian on the team?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
No idea of the quality, but the Atom Eve game is free on Epic this week.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jedit posted:

Allen had been showing up for years to have regular "fights" with Omni-Man that mysteriously never led to a conclusive outcome but did leave Omni-Man looking like a trusted defender of Earth. I very much doubt that Cecil would have trusted Mark's judgement that Allen wasn't a threat at that point.

Where does that come from? Season 1 his meeting mark was his first time going to earth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It came from Nolan himself. He mentioned he fought him multiple times.

quote:

Whilst working for the Coalition of Planets, Allen visited Earth several times, incorrectly believing he was visiting a similarly named planet called Urath. Most of these visits involved him clashing with Omni-Man as the representative of Earth in his attempts to evaluate the planet's strength to defend itself. Due to his faulty belief that he was evaluating Urath instead and thus never closely checking his records, Allen never realized that Nolan was a Viltrumite until much later.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
ok, i'm tired of these freaking mars squid things

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That poor astronaut is going to go eat a bullet after going through all that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that Thaedus is voiced by a now 82 year old Optimus Prime!
It's crazy how well he still nails essentially the same voice.

I'm kinda frustrated by the show at this point, and hell I fell off pretty quickly on the comic too. I think Robert Kirkman has a talent for creating a world but I just fundamentally don't like the way he progresses stories or something.

Like I'm catching up on Harley Quinn and I'm realizing I think it actually does a lot of what Invincible tries to to but better. It's funnier, while still taking its main characters seriously enough to tell genuine comic book stories, while also not shying away from the gruesome nature of its slant on the story.

The way the insanely violent stuff in this show is playing out in season 2 feels more like endless attempts to recreate the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones. But like... you can only get so much mileage out of the shock value before it just becomes obnoxious that the characters keep reverting to Teen Drama characters immediately after something insane happens. I don't think they're meaningfully subverting any superhero cliches, they're just being a lot more gruesome in the way they play out.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

Where does that come from? Season 1 his meeting mark was his first time going to earth.

Eh, not it wasn't. He explicitly says that he has been visiting Earth regularly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Martman posted:

I'm kinda frustrated by the show at this point, and hell I fell off pretty quickly on the comic too. I think Robert Kirkman has a talent for creating a world but I just fundamentally don't like the way he progresses stories or something.

Like I'm catching up on Harley Quinn and I'm realizing I think it actually does a lot of what Invincible tries to to but better. It's funnier, while still taking its main characters seriously enough to tell genuine comic book stories, while also not shying away from the gruesome nature of its slant on the story.

The way the insanely violent stuff in this show is playing out in season 2 feels more like endless attempts to recreate the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones. But like... you can only get so much mileage out of the shock value before it just becomes obnoxious that the characters keep reverting to Teen Drama characters immediately after something insane happens. I don't think they're meaningfully subverting any superhero cliches, they're just being a lot more gruesome in the way they play out.

I kinda get what you mean. In the first season, the brutality is kind of a ripple effect from Mark learning how to actually be a superhero as well as a sign of Omni-Man's real character. Even something like "Mark gets mauled by Battle Beast" is indicative of how Omni-Man is willing to let his son nearly die to teach him a lesson about going against his wishes.

Season 2, meanwhile, has felt a bit aimless. There's definitely a bit of recovery from the aftermath of Omni-Man's whole mass murder spree, but it does feel a bit like "The Further Adventures of Invincible", if you catch my drift.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The massive gap definitely did not help.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Martman posted:

It's crazy how well he still nails essentially the same voice.

The comic was also absurdly gruesome. What you're describing is just kind of the pattern the plot has between the big plot beats honestly. Mark angsts over his personal life, violence happens, something over the top violent happens, people act like it was still shocking, then mark angsts about his personal life some more. Eventually the plot shows up and even more ultra violence occurs, but more intensely so.

My biggest criticism of the show is that they dropped my favorite reoccurring gag:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I'm trying to be upfront that I can't really blame the show as an adaptation. I think it accurately reflects Robert Kirkman stuff which it turns out becomes a problem for me pretty fast.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I feel like there's a lot of potential for interesting spin offs in these comic universes. Like they dip their toe in some concepts I think could be a full fledged series in itself.

One aspect is medical facilities that specialize in treating superheroes. Monster Girls injury was complicated by her morphing back and forth uncontrollably. Mark had to have his intestines repaired when he got nearly killed by Battle Beast. Viltrumites seem nigh invulnerable which makes you wonder how you perform surgery? Will Rex's powers be affected by the loss of his hand?

In the last episode we see that the government also has people specialized in raising young superheroes. I'd say the Boys universe at least covered this somewhat though in that case all supes were man made via compound v and in the Invincible universe there's paranormal stuff (Darkblood getting exorcized to keep him out of Cecil's hair, Kate and Monster Girls power being various curses).

That also makes me wonder how Donnie Darkblood is doing. I bet Satan is super annoyed to see him again, imagining this guy barging into Satan's office for the 666th time going like "Boss I have all the evidence Omniman killed the guardians just send me back so I can solve this once and for all!" and Satan being like "I already talked to Cecil they figured it out on their own for the last time I am not renewing your visa"

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TGG posted:

The massive gap definitely did not help.
Agreed. A guy I work with just got into the show and loved season 1 and was frustrated that season two felt meandering. The split makes it just feel worse. I just told him this was the downtime before the next arc that they just started planting the seeds of and he seemed excited. Like you guys said the comics very much had this problem.

The talk about the planet of beasts and Space Racer got me excited. I really like how this show fleshes out side characters and just has them do more. Mark’s mom is a big one that comes to mind. Amber is another. I don’t remember her having nearly this much in the comic. No idea what is coming but there was a tertiary character coming up that I hope they do more with in the next arc.

I’m the solo fan of Space Racer

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In the comics, I think Amber was just toying with the of dating some other guy that wound up being abusive, which seems to have been cut out. I think that's for the best.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Martman posted:

Yeah I'm trying to be upfront that I can't really blame the show as an adaptation. I think it accurately reflects Robert Kirkman stuff which it turns out becomes a problem for me pretty fast.

I agree. I really noticed in Walking Dead and Marvel zombies where it starts off strong with some really shocking stuff, then it spins its wheels for X amount of time, then shockingly kills someone you like, repeats. It also does the "this one shocking death should have happened but it didn't because they survived" thing. You just start to expect the same thing over and over after you start reading one of his series for too long.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Darko posted:

I agree. I really noticed in Walking Dead and Marvel zombies where it starts off strong with some really shocking stuff, then it spins its wheels for X amount of time, then shockingly kills someone you like, repeats. It also does the "this one shocking death should have happened but it didn't because they survived" thing. You just start to expect the same thing over and over after you start reading one of his series for too long.

This what made me give up on the walking dead tv show. The same story beat repeated for the 3rd time with new set dressing was tiresome. That and the fake out on Steven yuens death it just wasn’t worth it anymore.

I am hoping that invincible having the arc of his life as a back drop will even some of that out. But we shall see.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

everydayfalls posted:

This what made me give up on the walking dead tv show. The same story beat repeated for the 3rd time with new set dressing was tiresome. That and the fake out on Steven yuens death it just wasn’t worth it anymore.

I watched some youtube superclip of Walking Dead moments and that's one of the only things I've ever seen on tv that I would classify as being straight up disrespectful to the audience. Having this big buildup to a character getting got, then having it happen from 1st person so you still don't know who it was until the next season a year later is just a giant middle finger to your fans. If I HAD been a fan I can't imagine staying so after something like that.

But it did give us stuff like this so maybe it's all a wash:

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I gave up on The Walking Dead (the show) because the cycle became so obvious around the end of the prison arc.

Our group meets a friendly new society > they're actually EVIL > all minor characters die > return to start

This show at least feels like there's some narrative progression, slow as it may be. The resistance to Viltrum is building.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the comic gets lost in the weeds more than once and in retrospect several plot arcs didn't really matter in the end, but I will credit it with never just rinse-repeat'ing storylines like that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

No idea of the quality, but the Atom Eve game is free on Epic this week.

picked it up, it's another take on the universe that seems to be taking more bits from the comics that were dropped for the show. It's still based on the characterizations and personalities of the show, so Eve's costume still has shorts instead of just being standard female unitard...thing, and Amber and William are their show versions, which is definitely for the best since the majority of the game is visual novel dialogue trees. The combat sections and upgrade system is pretty straight-forward turn-based ARPG

it's pretty fun for a game that is free :v: and (I'm only half-way through) seems to go up to Nolan's reveal and departure, but all from Eve's perspective, so if you are a fan of Atom Eve then it's worth checking out

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but that would necessitate interacting with Eve's family and friends and they all suck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, but that would necessitate interacting with Eve's family and friends and they all suck.

Her dad is so annoying. "Hey I got us some money". "NOOOOOOO I AM A MAN I WILL WORK IN BURGER RESTAURANT FOR NO MONEY I AM BREADWINNER!"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Her "dad" was always a creepy misogynist in the comics (there's a bit in the back-half of the run where Mark has a chat with him about women and dating. It trails off and the next panel is Mark sitting in a dark room with a nice :stonk:) but they really ramped it up for the show. Like, I don't know how necessary it is to get continued evidence that he is a huge loving rear end in a top hat, but we keep getting it.

With that in mind, yeah, there's a fair amount of that in the Atom Eve game as well. Honestly, the game makes me wonder why Eve didn't leave as soon as she turned 16. They aren't her real parents, and she probably still would've managed high school and heroing just fine by herself

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Aces High posted:

Her "dad" was always a creepy misogynist in the comics (there's a bit in the back-half of the run where Mark has a chat with him about women and dating. It trails off and the next panel is Mark sitting in a dark room with a nice :stonk:) but they really ramped it up for the show. Like, I don't know how necessary it is to get continued evidence that he is a huge loving rear end in a top hat, but we keep getting it.

With that in mind, yeah, there's a fair amount of that in the Atom Eve game as well. Honestly, the game makes me wonder why Eve didn't leave as soon as she turned 16. They aren't her real parents, and she probably still would've managed high school and heroing just fine by herself

Probably because her first friend turned out to be a pathetic duplicitous rear end in a top hat who refused to stand by her as well - she's learned from that that no one is of any real use, so why not stick around her lovely parents if no one else is any better?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that's what I mean, what was stopping her from doing the tree house thing before she turned 18? I mean, obviously it's for story reasons, but the more media that comes out and explore Eve's story, the more you have to wonder why she put up with her "parents" for so long in the first place.

I mean, I suppose this is all in hindsight and isn't the story they want to tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Her "dad" was always a creepy misogynist in the comics (there's a bit in the back-half of the run where Mark has a chat with him about women and dating. It trails off and the next panel is Mark sitting in a dark room with a nice :stonk:) but they really ramped it up for the show.

Probably to balance out him no longer smacking her around every once in a while like he does in the comics. I guess 'only' being emotionally and psychologically abusive is a step up from that plus physically?