Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Pokemon Trading Card Game is a collectible card game based upon the Pokemon franchise. Players take on the role of Pokemon Trainers and battle each other with their Pokemon, creatures that love to battle and that have amazing powers! When a player knocks out an opponent's Pokemon they claim one prize card, and when a player has claimed six prize cards they win the game.

The Pokemon TCG has been around since 1996 and for most of that time it has been the second most popular collectible card game in the world behind Magic: The Gathering. Within the last couple of years its popularity has seen an enormous surge due to a variety of factors including lockdowns, influencers, scalpers, and a heavy dose of nostalgia. Stores were struggling to keep stock on the shelves and The Pokemon Company made a rare announcement about reprinting a bunch of recent sets, and while I don't think things are entirely back to normal yet it does seem like stock from the latest sets is readily available again.

It would be fair to say that many more people collect the Pokemon TCG than actually play it, and many of the game's most sought-after cards sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not being a collector myself, I won't be covering this aspect of the game in much detail here but I will go over the different rarities of the cards and other features that might be of interest to collectors.

The Pokemon TCG can be played online using the PTCG Online client. A new client called PTCG Live is currently in beta testing in a few regions and it will eventually replace the existing client. It has been heavily delayed (possibly due to the almost universally negative reception it has received so far) and according to the latest official developer update it's undergoing some substantial UI changes, so there's no telling when it will actually release.

=============
Getting Started
=============

The Pokemon TCG is easy to learn and fun to play, and it has a surprising amount of tactical depth. I'll do a brief overview of how to play and then I'll go over how to build a deck. But first, here is a Pokemon:

Pikachu is a basic Pokemon, it has 60HP, and it is of the Lightning type as indicated by the energy symbol in the top right corner of the card. It has two attacks: Energize and Electro Ball, and each attack has an energy cost. Energize requires one Lightning energy to be attached to it, and Electro Ball requires one Lightning energy and two other energy of any type. Unless otherwise indicated, using a Pokemon's attack does not discard any energy attached to it.

Pikachu also has a weakness, which in this case means it will take twice as much damage from Fighting type Pokemon, and it has no resistance value, which means it won't take a reduced amount of damage from any other type. The last piece of important information on the card is its retreat cost, which indicates how much energy you must discard from it when it retreats.

How to Play

The Pokemon website has a bunch of introductory Youtube videos but whether you're interested in playing online or not, the PCTG Online client has a very good tutorial which explains all the basics.

The game board from the Battle Academy kit shows how to organize your play area into the required game zones:

At the start of the game you flip a coin, with the winner deciding who goes first, then you draw seven cards from your deck as your opening hand. You place one basic Pokemon facedown as your active Pokemon and then up to five other basic Pokemon facedown on your bench. If you don't have any basic Pokemon in your opening hand you must take a mulligan by revealing your hand and shuffling it into your deck to draw another seven cards, and each time you mulligan your opponent gets to draw a card.

After placing your starting Pokemon you then set aside the top six cards of your deck face down as prize cards, then each player reveals their facedown Pokemon and the first player takes their turn.
At the beginning of your turn you draw a card, then you can do any of the following actions in any order:

1) Place a basic Pokemon onto your bench (any number of times).

2) Evolve a Pokemon by playing a Pokemon that has "Evolves from X" on top of it, where X is the name of one of your Pokemon in play. You can evolve as many Pokemon as you like each turn, but a Pokemon cannot be evolved on the same turn it entered play.

3) Attach one Energy card from your hand to one of your Pokemon (once per turn).

4) Use an ability on one of your Pokemon (any number of times).

5) Retreat your active Pokemon (once per turn) by switching it with a Pokemon on your bench and discarding an amount of energy on it equal to its retreat cost.

6) Play Trainer cards. You can play any number of Trainer cards per turn, but only one Supporter type Trainer card per turn. Also, the player who went first cannot play a Supporter card on their first turn.

7) Attack with your active Pokemon. Choose one of its attacks to use and then place damage counters onto your opponent's active Pokemon equal to the amount of damage indicated (if any) and resolve any other effects from the attack. If any of your Pokemon ever have an amount of damage equal to or greater than their HP they are knocked out, which means they get discarded and then your opponent draws one of their prize cards.

If your active Pokemon is knocked out you must move one of your benched Pokemon into your active spot to replace it, but if you have no benched Pokemon left you lose the game. You also lose the game if you cannot draw a card at the start of your turn, but most of the time the game will end when a player has drawn all six of their prize cards after a lot of battling.

The player who went first cannot attack on their first turn, and attacking ends your turn so you can only do it once per turn. Once your turn is over, a step called Pokemon Checkup is performed where certain game effects are checked, such as ability durations or Special Conditions (Pokemon can be Poisoned, Burned, Asleep, or Paralyzed, generally as a result of being attacked).

Here's a few screenshots from PTCG Online to demonstrate what a game looks like in action.

In this shot, my opponent and I are both sitting on six prize cards but my opponent's active Pokemon has 120 damage on it and only 330 total HP, so my attack this turn will knock it out and let me claim three prize cards (some Pokemon are worth two or three prize cards when they're knocked out). My active Pokemon has 300 damage on it, so I could try to swap it with one on my bench to prevent my opponent from potentially knocking it out next turn, but in this case it's a better idea to simply knock theirs out. Swapping your Pokemon in and out of the active slot to gain an advantage or avoid damage is one of the game's core gameplay loops. You can move your Pokemon around using Trainer cards, by using a specific movement ability they may have, or by using the once-per-turn Retreat action.

I'm going to use Blastoise's G-Max Bombard attack here to deal 220 damage to my opponent's Urshifu, and it will also deal 30 damage to two of their benched Pokemon (though in this case their Mew has an ability which prevents attack damage being dealt to all of their benched Pokemon).

Boom!

Urshifu goes down and I get to pick three facedown prize cards to add to my hand!

My Blastoise is now pretty vulnerable, having only 30HP left, but with their current board they have no way to deal that much damage to finish it off. They could certainly manage to knock it out on their turn but they would need to have the right cards in their hand to do it. Like a lot of other card games, knowing what your opponent could have in their hand or deck at any time is an important skill which requires developing some familiarity with the card pool.

Now that you have a rough idea of how the game works, let's talk about how to build a deck.

Building a Deck

Deck construction in the Pokemon TCG is fairly simple since there are only three different card types in the game: Pokemon, Trainers, and Energy. Your deck must contain exactly 60 cards and you cannot have more than four copies of any one card (except basic energy cards). A very common ratio of the three card types is 20 Pokemon, 30 Trainers, and 10 Energy.

Pokemon have eleven different types: Grass, Fire, Water, Lightning, Psychic, Fighting, Darkness, Metal, Dragon, Colorless, and Fairy (which doesn't appear in the Sword and Shield cycle). They can also be divided into two broad categories: fighters and supporters. You'll generally want to build your deck around a single fighter Pokemon which will do most of the attacking while the rest of the Pokemon in the deck provide support, usually by sitting on your bench and using their abilities to let you draw cards, search your deck, or attach energy so you can attack earlier in the game.

Mew VMAX is a fighter that evolves from Mew V, so the decks that run it generally have more copies of Mew V than Mew VMAX to ensure they can evolve it consistently.

Genesect V is a supporter that sits on your bench and lets you draw cards each turn if you have any Fusion Strike Pokemon in play, so the deck is designed to get them into play as quickly as possible to take advantage of its ability. Fusion Strike is an attribute which doesn't mean anything in particular, it simply interacts with cards that reference it (Single Strike and Rapid Strike are other attributes found on cards from the Sword and Shield cycle).

Genesect V's Techno Blast attack and Meloetta's Melodious Echo attack can both be copied by Mew VMAX to deal very large amounts of damage, and since Mew VMAX has very high HP it's safer being in the active spot than they would be. V, VMAX, and VSTAR Pokemon generally have higher HP and stronger attacks than other Pokemon so they're very popular in competitive decks, but they also give two or three prize cards when they get knocked out so there is some risk involved with using them.

The Inteleon line doesn't appear in Mew VMAX decks but it is a popular supporter package at the moment because Shady Dealings is a very powerful tutoring ability that fits into a lot of different decks. It's important to not have too many evolution Pokemon in your deck, however, otherwise you won't be able to consistently evolve them when you need to.

Trainer cards come in four different types: Supporters, Items, Stadiums, and Tools (which are also Items).

You can only play one Supporter card each turn, and they provide some of the most powerful effects in the game. They let you draw or tutor cards, attach energy to your Pokemon (thereby getting around the one energy per turn from hand limitation) or move Pokemon around, both yours and your opponent's. Being able to move an opponent's Pokemon is one of the rarest and most powerful effects in the game, which is why Boss's Orders is a staple in almost every competitive deck. Marnie is another very popular card because it lets you both draw cards and hinder your opponent. Drawing cards and searching your deck are both very common effects in the Pokemon TCG, so being able to force your opponent to put a card they just tutored onto the bottom of their deck is a powerful disruption tool.

Items are the most common Trainer cards in most decks and they provide a huge range of different effects, such as tutoring specific cards, moving your Pokemon around, or recovering cards from your discard pile.

You can only play one Stadium each turn and there can only ever be one in play, so playing a new one sends any existing Stadium to its owner's discard pile. Stadiums apply their effects to both players so you generally want to choose ones that are likely to help you more than your opponent, like playing Crystal Cave when your opponent has no metal or dragon type Pokemon in their deck. They can also be used to counter your opponent's strategy as in the case of Path to the Peak, which is often played in decks that don't have any Pokemon with rule boxes. And since there can only be one Stadium in play at any time some decks will include one or two simply to be able to counter their opponent playing one like Path to the Peak.

Tools are items which attach to Pokemon and generally provide a buff of some kind. Big Charm is often used to prevent an opponent from knocking out one of your important Pokemon with a single attack, while Choice Belt does the opposite (understanding attack damage and HP breakpoints is one of the finer points of deck building). Air Balloon makes the retreat cost of a lot of Pokemon free so you can swap them around with ease once per turn.

Energy is the most straightforward card type. Pokemon need energy to attack!

There is a basic energy card for each type of Pokemon in the game.

Special energy provides utility in addition to its regular effect, but it also sometimes comes at a price, as with Double Turbo Energy.

So now you have some idea of what goes into a deck, but how do you go about getting some cards?

=============
A Buyer's Guide
=============

The Pokemon Company releases a lot of different products every year for all kinds of players and collectors. We're currently near the end of the Sword and Shield cycle, which represents roughly three years worth of sets and other releases, and I'm going to attempt to categorize the main products from this cycle and then make some buying recommendations. Lost Origin is the latest expansion (released on September 9) and Silver Tempest is coming hot on its heels on November 11.

The main Pokemon site has a page detailing all of the expansions in the game here but there are quite a few supplementary or smaller sets released in between the larger, "main" expansions every year. Most of these main expansions have around 190 cards in them (with Fusion Strike being an exception at 284 cards, the largest ever) and they're generally constructed from a number of sets that get released first in Japan. Without going into too much detail, Pokemon TCG expansions are released in pairs in Japan, with each set being around 80-90 cards, and then that pair is combined to produce an international expansion a month or two later.

Regarding the online games, all of the products listed below come with codes which you can redeem within PTCG Online or Live to claim a digital copy, with the codes for boosters providing randomized pack contents. You can also buy individual codes from online vendors at a fraction of the price of the physical product, and they work in both games. You can acquire more cards for PTCG Online by playing the game and earning its in-game currency and you can also trade cards and packs using the game's built-in trading UI. PTCG Live does not support any kind of trading, instead replacing it with a sharding system similar to what you'll find in other digital card games, and it has a full-fledged battle pass for earning its different currencies and other rewards.

Each Pokemon TCG product has an official Play Level rating from one to three which corresponds to its intended audience, from beginner to competitive-minded players.

Battle Academy is aimed squarely at beginners and it's probably the best introductory product for young children. It's presented like a board game and it comes with three full decks (Pikachu, Cinderace, and Eevee) and a bunch of accessories like status counters and a coin. The full list of contents can be found on Bulbapedia here.

V Battle Decks are like standalone Battle Academy decks and they can be mixed and matched with them as you like. They come with damage counters, a coin, and a paper playmat, and you could just as easily begin playing the game buy grabbing two of these (or one of the boxes that contains two of them).

Boosters are your classic collectible card game packs. They contain ten random cards, including six common, three uncommon, and one rare card, and they're guaranteed to have at least one foil card. Cracking boosters can be fun but if you're chasing specific cards for a deck you're much better off buying singles instead.

Build and Battle Boxes are intended for pre-release events, and they contain a pre-constructed 40-card deck which includes one of four promo cards from the set in question plus four booster packs which you can use to supplement your deck (though it still has to be 40 cards). Of course, you can play these decks anywhere, and the Stadium kits contain two of them plus some extra booster packs (12 in total) along with accessories like damage dice, status counters, and a coin.

Elite Trainer Boxes contain eight boosters, a heap of energy cards of all types, 65 card sleeves, and accessories, along with a booklet detailing all of the cards from their set.

The Trainer's Toolkit contains a large number of popular Trainer cards, most of which are found in competitive decks, along with a huge number of energy cards plus some booster packs and accessories like damage dice and status counters. If you're interested in building a collection for constructed events this kit is a good deal.

League Battle Decks are more complex, tournament-ready decks. They're aimed at competitive-minded players and they're a good place to start if you want to put something together for a constructed event. Some of them are actually pretty competitive straight out of the box too.

And finally, Premium Collection and Special Collection boxes are aimed at collectors. They contain promo cards and an oversized card, and also some boosters. They sometimes feature popular competitive cards too, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

==============
Competitive Play
==============

Since I've made mention of competitive play I figured I should do a section on it, but this will be pretty short because I haven't really delved into it much myself, except for in PTCG Online. Both of the online clients feature skill based matchmaking and they have some support for in-game tournaments, but if you're interested in playing in real life then you'll want to check out Limitless to find tournaments near you as well as up-to-date deck lists for the current meta. And for smaller events it's always worth checking out your local game store.

The most popular competitive play format is Standard, with a rotation taking place generally around August every year (after the Worlds event) although this year's rotation has been postponed until early next year. The game now uses regulation marks on its cards to determine which ones are Standard legal, and at the moment all cards with a D, E, and F mark are legal.

When the rotation happens next year all of the D cards will be dropped, and only E and F-marked cards will be legal for the 2022-2023 season. In the past I think most cards have been Standard legal for around two years, and it will likely continue that way with this new system.

===============
For the Collectors
===============

There are a lot of other promotional releases in addition to the Special and Premium Collection boxes I mentioned in the buyer's guide but I won't go over them all here. Instead, I'll just mention how the card rarity system works, again sticking to the Sword and Shield cycle only.

Each card has a collector number and a rarity symbol, with a circle denoting Common, diamond for Uncommon, star for Rare, and a star with the word "Promo" running across it for Promo cards.

In addition to the standard rarities there are also Ultra Rare cards and Secret Rare cards, both of which take up the regular rare slot in a booster. Secret Rare cards have collector numbers higher than the set number, and they come in Rainbow Rare and Gold Rare varieties. Ultra Rare cards are generally V, VMAX and VSTAR Pokemon, and all VMAX and VSTAR Pokemon are Full Art Rares. Full Art Trainer cards are also a thing but I'm not sure if they're considered Ultra Rares (to be honest, trying to pin down the details for this section was kind of hard). There are also Alternate Art Rares, which can be Ultra or Secret Rares, and they're some of my favourite cards in the game because they often have absolutely gorgeous art.

All Ultra Rare cards are holofoils (or just "holos" or "foils") but for the standard rarities there are two types of foil cards: Holo and Reverse Holo, with Holo cards having a shiny finish across the artwork only, and Reverse Holo having a shiny finish across all parts of the card except for the artwork.

All of the above will probably make more sense if I just show off some cards. So, take a look at these!

From left to right we have Rare Snorlax, Secret Rare (Gold) Snorlax, Ultra Rare Full Art Snorlax, Ultra Rare Snorlax V, Ultra Rare Snorlax VMAX, and Secret Rare (Rainbow) Snorlax VMAX.

For trainer cards, again from left to right we have Rare Marnie, Full Art Ultra Rare Marnie, Secret Rare (Rainbow) Marnie, and Promo Marnie.

And now check out these awesome Alternate Art cards...

==========
Useful Links
==========

Bulbapedia is a wiki for the entire Pokemon franchise, and it has an extremely comprehensive section for the TCG.

PokeBeach is the best news site for the game.

The PokemonTCG Reddit Discord is probably the best out of the few I've looked into.

For streamers or Youtubers, I like AzulGG. He updates frequently, plays meta decks but also fun/creative ones, and he's garrulous to a fault, which is actually great when you're trying to learn or understand the game because he narrates every thought in his head.

Omnipoke is a Youtube channel dedicated to the competitive scene. It features a lot of in-depth analysis and commentary about tournament results and meta decks.

Limitless keeps track of tournament results and deck lists.

Trainer Hill is a data analysis site where you can examine meta snapshots and deck lists.

Pokemoncard.io is a card database and deck sharing site.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I play this on and off, I enjoy it. I don't know if you want to mention the ladder? It's a pretty nice reward system, and new ladder out today is very nice.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wasn't sure if it had an actual name so I called it the rewards track in my post. And you're right, the new one has a bunch of Battle Styles packs in it. When I started playing last year the rewards were all from expansions that weren't Standard legal, which I thought was odd, but the last few I checked were Standard so I assumed they changed it.

Here's a looooong composite image :

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I believe it goes 2 standard, then 1 expanded. Some of the expanded rewards have been quite good, but they’re not all good or bad.

In addition to the newest packs it also comes with a playable “blinged out” supporter in Lana & Mallow. The pokemon - lucario & melmetal are popular Pokémon and it’s a good card that sees play (but is rotating out soon).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've updated the OP with some new stuff, and I have a couple of 1-prize decks here which I think are considered budget decks, though they still use Dedenne-GX (it's hard to find any list that doesn't).

Mad Party

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 25

* 4 Bunnelby DAA 150
* 1 Oranguru VIV 199
* 1 Crobat V DAA 104
* 2 Dedenne-GX UNB 195
* 4 Dedenne PR-SW 80
* 1 Mew PR-SM 215
* 4 Sinistea SHF 125
* 4 Polteageist DAA 83
* 4 Galarian Mr. Rime PR-SW 79

##Trainer Cards - 28

* 4 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 2 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 1 Giovanni's Exile UNB 174
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 4 Level Ball BST 129
* 4 Great Ball BCR 129
* 3 Air Balloon SSH 156
* 2 Great Catcher CEC 192
* 2 Evolution Incense SSH 163
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 1 Ordinary Rod SSH 171

##Energy - 7

* 4 Twin Energy RCL 174
* 3 Triple Acceleration Energy UNB 190

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Cherrim / Maractus

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 1 Crobat V DAA 104
* 3 Cherubi BST 7
* 4 Maractus SSH 7
* 1 Shaymin {*} TEU 10
* 3 Cherrim BST 8
* 1 Dedenne-GX UNB 195
* 3 Jirachi TEU 99

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 3 Glimwood Tangle DAA 162
* 2 Switch SSH 183
* 4 Marnie SSH 169
* 2 Boss's Orders RCL 154
* 4 Scoop Up Net RCL 165
* 1 Energy Recycler BST 124
* 3 Pokémon Communication TEU 152
* 2 Energy Retrieval SSH 160
* 4 Professor's Research SSH 178
* 4 Quick Ball SSH 179
* 2 Ordinary Rod SSH 171

##Energy - 13

* 4 Twin Energy RCL 174
* 9 Grass Energy Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online https://www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hello can us creepy cardboard collector types creep around here too? Don't worry I also play TCGO off and on, I figured why not actually use the code cards I get when ripping packs it's "free". Do you guys think it's a good idea to get a list of usernames going for friend requests etc so we can get goon on goon action going? I can help you guys get rewards by losing horribly to you, lol. Username in TCGO is WhimsicottWhim, by the way.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Hello can us creepy cardboard collector types creep around here too? Don't worry I also play TCGO off and on, I figured why not actually use the code cards I get when ripping packs it's "free". Do you guys think it's a good idea to get a list of usernames going for friend requests etc so we can get goon on goon action going? I can help you guys get rewards by losing horribly to you, lol. Username in TCGO is WhimsicottWhim, by the way.
It could be fun to play a goon tournament, but I don't think there are any prizes from playing people on your friends list, but IDK I've never really done it.

For the current players' cup players can get a free FA Eldegoss V with code PC3ELDEGOSS. In 2 weeks there will be a code for a full art boss's orders too (PC3GIOVANNI) but it isn't valid yet.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Thanks, I like free stuff. How did you find out about the codes? Is that from the physical game? And yes, by all means talk about cardboard here!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kalko posted:

And yes, by all means talk about cardboard here!

I'm not a supreme expert on the actual cardboard but I'll do my best! I'll start with some just in case you didn't know news: the next English set is called Chilling Reign and I've seen a release date of June 18th and a prerelease date of June 5th on the interwebs as a whole. Generally the English sets are comprised of the last two Japanese sets, if you'd like a preview of what's coming.* I know for sure that Chilling Reign will have the cards from Matchless Fighters in it and I would guess maybe Silver Lance too as Jet Black Poltergeist isn't even out in Japan yet. Somewhere in there there is a much talked about upcoming Kecleon card that apparently does some crazy poo poo game wise, I haven't looked at it myself.

As for actually getting the modern cardboard, because scalpers loving suck, your best bet is probably being there at release at your local neighborhood gaming store/card shop/comic shop that secretly sells cards. Preorders for the new set are up at Gamestop, but some stores are being a dick and not taking in person preorders for whatever reason according to the internet rumor mill. No idea if preorders are sold out on Gamestop's site by now either. A site I have heard positive views about is Safari Zone but I have never used them personally, so I can't quite vouch for them.

Another way to get physical cards would be to buy a spot in a box break somewhere. A quick and dirty explanation of a break is that you pay for a spot, get assigned a type of cards, and get to keep the hits for that type and some bulk. Other breakers may not include bulk or do it by packs instead so definitely read up on their FAQs before you buy in. I know many people have jumped in to live stream break bandwagon recently as well, so I have stuck with and used TCGbreaker as he's been around for a while (nearly 5 years) and runs a good honest business as far as I can tell. Additionally he does sell codes, but at the moment it's an email the support email and ask about them type deal. Presumably because it's a fair amount of work trying to keep up with demand for the box breaks alone.

And as an aside we do have a buy/sell thread in SAmart that has some people looking to sell their vintage stuff and me trying to get rid of my PSA mistakes.

Now for the fun part: What does everybody collect? I personally just go for cards I think are pretty (and try to stay out of the speculator/graded card mindset: not doing a great job at this atm :sweatdrop:) but I have a friend who like to complete evolution lines, Have heard of people going for PSA energy card collections, full art trainers, or just completing certain sets. As somebody who likes the art style of Pokémon over the other two big TCGs, I am supremely hyped for all the alternate full arts that are out/coming out right now.

*Do we have a policy on discussing upcoming cards in this thread? I've seen such discussion put in separate channels in Discord and treated as spoilers before so that's why I ask.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kalko posted:

Thanks, I like free stuff. How did you find out about the codes? Is that from the physical game? And yes, by all means talk about cardboard here!
I saw it on reddit. I think it was part of the livestream for Player's cup 3. It's an online thing the pokemon compnay has done since pandemic. Anyone can try to compete for a spot in a tournament, if you make it that tournament is live streamed. On the livestream they gave it away.

The fourth cup is coming up if you want to enter. Too much time for me but seems really fun.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

When I first came across PTGO last year it took me a while to wrap my head around the scene, like all the external information about the game apart from how to actually play it. The sets and formats and rotations and everything. I did learn that the English sets are made up of the last two Japanese sets, and also that four main sets are released every year plus a couple of bonus sets. I thought that was an insane amount of cards to release and must surely be more than any other game, because I remember a long time ago MTG deciding to cut it back because of oversaturation or quality over quantity or something.

I was always aware of the Pokemon TCG and I even remember when it first came out; it was that game all the kids were playing at the shop back when I was playing MTG. I never even looked at it, though, so I was surprised to learn it's actually a pretty well designed, fun game (with a few obvious MTG influences seeing as how it was designed by WOTC). So I've been playing it on and off and it fulfills my apetite for digital card games alongside Hearthstone (which is in a bad place right now) and Gwent, the game I sank a hundred hours into years ago and always keep meaning to check back in on. For physical card games I'm a huge fan of the Arkham Horror LCG, and I still miss Netrunner.

Since I was only ever peripherally aware of PTCG maybe you can set a couple of my assumptions straight. I thought it was the most popular card game in the world, like bigger than MTG, but after looking around the web for strategy sites and other resources, that kind of popularity doesn't seem to be reflected online. I check a couple of news sites every now and then and I've seen mention of card scalpers and stuff, but why is that even a thing? Do the sets have really limited print runs? I have noticed most local game shops here don't actually stock it, whereas they all have the latest Magic sets.

I will say that one thing I really don't enjoy about the game is the coin flip mechanics, and especially Crushing Hammer. Why is that a legal card? Most of the other coin flip effects are weak enough to be relegated to 3rd or 4th tier decks, which is perfectly fine, but the prevelence of Crushing Hammer really bothers me because it's a really unfun card to play against. My guess is that they wanted decks to have some control options, but the core design of the game doesn't really support control as an archetype so CH becomes kind of a crutch, and it's a really bad fit.

Regarding spoilers, I'm fine with posting them here, with our without tags. If this thread gets more traffic and more people weigh in on the issue then I'm happy to go with whatever consensus emerges.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Pokemon card scalping is at a high due to a conflux of things. There's the general covid bump that has driven up the price and demand for all collectibles, people are bored stuck at home and have stimulus checks. Then there's us 30 year olds who were the first to grow up with pokemon who now have disposable income and nostalgia for it. Then pokemon released specialty collector sets Hidden Fates and later Shining Fates which got collectors hyped on shiny shiny cards. Then there was big name youtuber influencer Logan Paul coming in dropping 6 figures on rare vintage poo poo and leaving. Then there's the 25th anniversary this year.

And that's how I assume you get opportunistic people scalping the cards to the point that major corporations Target, Walmart, and Gamestop have to keep the cards locked up and limit one or two per person. Pokemon card demand is so high they can't even print them fast enough. Similarly this situation has caused PSA to stop taking submissions at their lower tiers because at this point they the amount of cards they currently get in a week (500,000) is what they used to get over three months in the before times. Magic must have a bigger capacity to keep up with printing cards because I'd bet that it isn't that your store isn't stocking pokemon or yugioh its just that they can't get them from their distributor.

People are speculating on cardboard in a big time bubble that rivals or possibly has blown past the insanity of the first wave of pokemania in 1999. Hopefully it bursts, it'd be nice to pick up what ever product you want to get in a store like its 2017 again. No idea why this insanity doesn't carry over to the online game, perhaps the regular video game series eats it's market share?

As for actual game mechanics I have no basis for this but I've always assumes that the coin flipping is to introduce an element of randomness just like the video games with move accuracy and the duration of certain status effects. I also assume that Crushing Hammer is to save your rear end against GX pokemon because they need a lot of energy to pull off the moves and it would help keep them from gathering enough. I currently have some SWSH base Mawiles in my deck that know crunch for this exact reason: it hits for like 40 and discards an energy from opponents active pokemon. Can't attack if you got no energy!

Also why is Hearthstone in a bad place now? I remember when that was poised to take over the world and people were all about it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ok, that's interesting that it's bunch of things causing the scarcity. I've never been tempted to buy any cardboard but just having been more aware of it since I started playing online I thought it was odd.

Randomness in games is generally a good thing, but high impact binary coin flip effects is a bad kind of randomness and PTCG is the first card game I've come across that seems to embrace it, although again I think the only real problem card at the moment is Crushing Hammer. And I think energy denial is a valid strategy that should be supported, and it is, but there should be a cost to play it like using your Supporter action (eg. Team Yell Grunt) or an attack, and having a 50/50 chance to not do anything is not really a cost even though it obviously takes up a slot in your deck.

I think Fan of Waves is much better design because special energy is something you can choose to not use (or not play on a crucial turn if you suspect a Fan - there's some counterplay there) and if you do use it I think it's fair for there to be some extra risk factor because it's providing a powerful effect.

Anyway, that's my rant over. I do like how the rest of the game plays, though it seems like much of the core gameplay revolves around cheating the one-per-turn play limit of energy (similar to Magic's land) and I wonder if the game was designed today they might do something different there, as resource systems have evolved a lot over the years.

Hearthstone is only stuck at the moment because they recently introduced a major overhaul by embracing the concept of a core set, so they removed a lot of cruft from the formerly eternal basic and classic sets, plus it was a rotation expansion so three old ones went out and a new one came in. At the moment there's one class that's ridiculously out in front of all the others in terms of winrate and another that feels really bad to play against, but they're patching this week so it should be back to normal pretty soon.

As a game, Hearthstone is better than it's ever been, mostly because they shook up the dev team a couple of years ago and decided that actually making changes more than once every six months was a good idea.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 12, 2021

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've taken it upon myself to collect all of Tomokazu Komiyas cards. The part time investors and opportunistic scalpers are driving up the prices and clearing out the shelves but I still managed to get a bulk lot of them for dirt cheap. The rest is going to be a bit of a slog I think but here's a few pages from the binder. He did the alternate full art galarian Slowking from the next set so that's gonna be a pretty penny.

Also managed to snag the Mew Ex from the BW radiant collection today so that's that set complete. Man they're all gorgeous.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 12, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, that is some sweet art. How does Pokemon 'investment' work, anyway? I used to roll my eyes at the Magic crowd I knew who fancied themselves as speculators but never seemed to make any profit, and I always thought it was all well and good to say this piece of cardboard is worth $50 but it means nothing unless you can find someone who'll pay you that for it. But then on the other hand if I still had the full set of Beta dual lands I paid a few hundred dollars for they'd be worth... more than that now.

I think I read that the Charizard from the previous set was 'worth' a few hundred dollars, which I thought was surprising because it was from, you know, a brand new set that must have a huge run, but apparently there's some history behind Charizards being chase cards or something. But are people really paying each other hundreds of dollars for these cards?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The new Charizard everyone's after is pretty rare in the set it's in. You're right that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it but the price would probably be a lot lower if it weren't for the bubble that youtuber hype and 'investors' and scalpers created due to the lower supply of cards. People recognise Charizard, scalpers buy the set to sit on it and investors buy the card to get PSA graded so they can flip it for a higher price.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Erm isn't that the other way around? Investors buy product and sit on it whereas speculators flip it immediately for short term gains?

Anyways people do blow money, especially on graded cards. Last year's stand out example was a rapper paying 200k for a PSA 10 Base set first edition zard.

And yes the dumb orange dragon has been a chase card since literally the beginning. I remember being sad as a kid that I could not afford the $50 to buy a base set charizard as a single from the card shop. And I never pulled one from a pack back then either. Closest I got was a friend giving me her old cards sometime later in middle school that included a first edition Team Rocket non holo zard among other things. Since getting back into the cards partway through Sun and Moon I've pulled plenty of other cool poo poo that's more than made up for it.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've taken it upon myself to collect all of Tomokazu Komiyas cards....

Ooh that's like my second or third favorite artist, the recent Pineco and Bunnelby cards he did are what won me over! First favorite is Shibuzoh but I don't always like every card they do, hence I gave up on collecting them in a separate binder. I am jonesing for the Galarian Moltres alternate art from the upcoming set as a result, but that's gonna be even more $$.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It's wild to me that the Pokemon TCG has not only lasted 25 years but has even gained in popularity over the years. I remember back in maybe 1997 being a huge MTG and Pokemon fan, seeing an image of the first Japanese PTCG card published in the magazine Scrye, and having my mind blown. I saved up and bought a starter set the day the game was released in North America and got into it heavily with my friends. If you'd told me then that that Decipher's Star Wars CCG would die off in a few years but that the PTCG would live on for a quarter of a century I would've said you were crazy.

In those early days when I was still in elementary school I traded a bunch of my really good cards for a kid's base set Charizard. He later wanted to trade back when the card got super popular and I refused (no take trade-backs being standard trading rules); he then made his dad confront me outside of school one day and force me to trade it back to him. Weird to think that card's probably worth like $500 now.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Ooh that's like my second or third favorite artist, the recent Pineco and Bunnelby cards he did are what won me over! First favorite is Shibuzoh but I don't always like every card they do, hence I gave up on collecting them in a separate binder. I am jonesing for the Galarian Moltres alternate art from the upcoming set as a result, but that's gonna be even more $$.

Sumiyoshi Kizuki used to have absolutely gorgeous art but then when the BW era of cards came around all her cards just turned super boring, I wonder what happened. You can see the transition yourself about half way down page 7. https://pkmncards.com/?s=artist%3Asumiyoshi-kizuki&display=full&sort=date&order=asc

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The only set of cards I want in paper for collecting reasons are the The Scream promos, and they're already insane prices that I wouldn't pay

look at em though holy poo poo

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Just getting into this after a "hiatus" that's lasted since approximately Base Set 2. Is there a generally accepted best place to buy pack codes? None of the sites that get spit up by Google look particularly trustworthy at a glance so some guidance would be great.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I think potown is legit, and I've never had any trouble the couple of times i've bought codes from ebay.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I use PoTown Store but I don't think it's the cheapest big vendor. When I first started looking for codes I found some marketplace site which had wildly varying code prices but they were from individual sellers and in all languages and I just decided to take the easy route and go to one of the online stores.

You'll actually see some trades asking for Vivid Voltage or Shining Fates codes and they're both dirt cheap. BS should eventually settle at around USD0.35 or so on that site, and then at some point probably drop to the VV price.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Sumiyoshi Kizuki used to have absolutely gorgeous art but then when the BW era of cards came around all her cards just turned super boring, I wonder what happened. You can see the transition yourself about half way down page 7. https://pkmncards.com/?s=artist%3Asumiyoshi-kizuki&display=full&sort=date&order=asc

My guess is she switched to drawing digitally and had trouble coming to grips with it? I see some attempts to replicate the older kinda crayon like outlines but they're too clean like it's being replicated in a computer. Or maybe she switched programs to draw in? A lot of stuff if you look hard looks like what people drew in mid 2000s Macromedia Flash cartoons and games. Particularly the mad scientist lava lamps in that XY Breakthrough Parasect look like it and that they're copy pasted to boot.

God I remember when the Scream promos weren't as outrageous on Ebay but I passed on buying one because I thought $70-100 or so was too much for a card. Maybe the whole set of 5 was $300 to 500? It was so long ago I don't quite remember.

Semi-related one of the other artists in my personal top contention is Hyogonosuke and not just because of sleepy boi tyranitar. I keep staring at the Darkness Ablaze Rowlet and I dont know why it fascinates me so. I did this even before getting wrecked by some one using its ability on me in PTCGO.

Edit: Lol gently caress I was just thumbing through my core collection and didn't realize that Hyogonosuke also illustrated the stained glass birds, aka the only reason I bought a Hidden Fates ETB on release. Also a fair amount of Saya Tsuruta cards too.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 14, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A couple of days ago I had the option to pick Dragon daily challenges so I figured I might as well start leveling that up since it'll be a lot harder after rotation. This means I finally decided to make ADP Zacian, using this list :

Pokemon - 13
1 Crobat V SHF 44
2 Arceus & Dialga & Palkia-GX CEC 221
1 Eldegoss V CPA 5
3 Dedenne-GX UNB 195
1 Aegislash V VIV 126
1 Empoleon V BST 40
4 Zacian V PR-SW 18

Trainer Cards - 36
4 Escape Rope BST 125
4 Cherish Ball UNM 191
4 Metal Saucer SSH 170
1 Rusted Sword SHF 62
2 Energy Spinner UNB 170
2 Chaotic Swell CEC 187
4 Quick Ball SSH 179
2 Air Balloon SSH 156
4 Bosss Orders SHF 58
4 Professors Research SHF 60
1 Great Catcher CEC 192
4 Energy Switch SSH 162

Energy - 11
3 Water Energy SWSHEnergy 3
8 Metal Energy SWSHEnergy 8

I've played against it a million times but until playing it myself I never really appreciated its consistency. It just feels great to play because you can get what you need quickly more or less every game. It's a really simple deck, and still really strong.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I haven't played since they implemented "Rocket On" and all these giant stat-lines scare me. 60X for Two Energy?
Hold me.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've been playing a fair bit these last few days trying to complete the rewards track, and whenever I'm not playing a deck for a specific daily challenge I've been playing my current favourite deck, Mewtwo & Mew Welder. This post will be a brief guide on how it works, though I'm by no means an expert at it so feel free to tell me where I've gone wrong.

Mewtwo & Mew GX

This is the card the deck is named after, and the general game plan is to get one into play then get energy onto it and use its ability, Perfection, which lets you use the attacks of any other Pokemon-GX on your bench or in your discard pile. So, as you can imagine, the deck has a lot of other Pokemon-GX, and it also has a bunch of ways to get them into your discard pile. What I enjoy about it is how it turns your deck into a kind of toolbox where you can go digging for a specific solution to whatever problem happens to be at hand.

I'll go over the Trainers and Energy first, then the Pokemon.

Trainers

The deck only runs two Supporters, Welder and Boss's Orders, and it has Pokegear to find them. Welder is your primary means of energy acceleration, and it also means you want to go second with this deck. An ideal first turn is to attach two energy with Welder along with a third from your hand, then use a powerful attack.

If you don't have Mewtwo & Mew in your opening hand you can find them with Cherish Ball or Quick Ball. The balls are also your primary means of rummaging through your toolbox, and Quick Ball has the added bonus of discarding one of your Pokemon to power up Perfection.

Giant Hearth is a key card as it allows you to dig out two energy for Welder (or to simply thin out your deck) and it also lets you discard Pokemon.

Pokemon movement is covered by Switch and Air Balloon, and the Tool Jammer is there to counter your opponent's Air Balloon, which is a very common card in several meta decks.

Energy

A lot of the time you can get by just using the attacks from your Fire Pokemon, but the Aurora Energy allows Mewtwo & Mew to use all of the attacks in the deck, some of which are very powerful. It also lets them use their own GX ability, Miraculous Duo, which is often a massive tempo swing and very satisfying to pull off. I'm running nine Fire energy at the moment, but dropping one would be fine.

Pokemon

Now for the fun part! Firstly, the support Pokemon. Every deck has to have them.

Dedechange's discard is obviously very useful here, and Crobat V and Eldegoss V let you turn a Quick Ball into 'Draw up to six cards' or 'Grab a clutch Boss's Orders or Welder from your discard pile.'

Reshiram & Charizard-GX and Charizard-GX provide your main attacks, and a three energy Double Blaze GX is a 200 damage attack you can do on your first turn.

Vileplume-GX provides a 180 damage attack for two energy in the early game, and Naganadel-GX lets you snipe your opponent's bench (Dedenne-GX being a common and very juicy target). Greninja-GX is there to counter the kind of abilities you find on Decidueye, but a two energy attack for 130 is not bad at all. Note that, like Charizard-GX, these three are evolution Pokemon so you won't be able to bench them.

Oricorio-GX is a recent addition and Dance of Tribute is surprisingly powerful even though it will probably only trigger once each game. Jirachi-GX is there for Psychic Zone, which you will want in the mirror, and for Dragapult VMAX decks (the only other Psychic deck in the current meta). I tried Weakness Guard energy for a while but it doesn't work against the Dragapult decks because they all run Crushing Hammer. And speaking of weakness, keep in mind that any attack performed with Perfection is Psychic type, not the type of the Pokemon it comes from.

MegaLopunny & Jigglypuff-GX is there because... actually I don't know. Every netdeck seems to have them but if they're there for something meta-specific I haven't found it yet. The 200 point bench snipe is good, if expensive, and I can only assume their main attack is good in the mirror, but I haven't actually played many mirror matches so I've never used it for that.

Gengar & Mimikyu-GX is another recent addition to my deck and I've found Poltergeist to be useful against ADP Zacian because they draw 3-4 prize cards from their first knockout, and while Reset Stamp is the more reliable follow-up play, sometimes you really need to gamble on an attack that can remove something from the board. Also, Zacian-V's ability can often leave them with a large hand size, so you can use it early on while they're still setting up (if you happen to have attached two Aurora Energy). Horror House GX is difficult to use and requires you to know exactly what you're up against, but if you time it well you can gain a huge advantage.

And finally, Marshadow. I've been running one lately just to help out with Chaotic Swell, but more on that later.

Other Cards

Mewtwo & Mew Welder is a strong meta deck and there are a lot of other cards you will find in different versions online. I'll just list a few I've seen around the place.

Heatran-GX is one that I've tried and it gives you another reliable Fire attack, and Hot Burn GX can make for a good finisher. Burning Road can be pretty useful to salvage the energy from a Pokemon with a lot of damage on it or to pick up energy you might have put on random Pokemon that would've otherwise been discarded by an awkward Dedenne-GX play. Volcanion is commonly found in other Fire decks that run Welder, and I saw Talonflame-V in a tournament deck and it's pretty interesting as a way to mitigate having to go first.

A single Tag Call could probably work but you generally only see it as an engine in the decks that run the Tag Call Trainers as well. Ordinary Rod might help you recover from those awkward Dedechanges, and Professor's Research has obvious synergy and is a staple in most of the game's decks, but I prefer running only two different Supporters because you want to play Welder every turn if possible.

Counters and Other Annoying Things

I've been talking about the Welder variant of Mewtwo & Mew-GX but there are a few other decks that either headline it or include it as a one-of for various reasons. It's common enough in the meta that you will run into some counters for it, so I'll just mention a few of the ones to watch out for.

Ok, Chaotic Swell isn't really a counter but it is one of the only two Stadiums that see regular play (though this is starting to change with the Urshifu decks). The other one is our own Giant Hearth, and that card is so critical to the deck I've started running Marshadow to deal with Chaotic Swell more efficiently.

Power Plant basically shuts down your whole deck (including Dedenne-GX), Mimikyu is an annoying little gremlin seen mostly in Dragapult decks, and Mawile-GX is not exactly a counter but I've seen it lately in ADP Zacian decks as a way for them to dump your Dedenne-GXes and otherwise fill up your precious bench space with things you most likely don't want there.

And I'll do one honorable mention for...

The bird! It's a fairly common Tier 3 deck that your only answer for is Greninja-GX, so better hope it doesn't get prized.

Final Thoughts

Mewtwo & Mew Welder is a deck I'm still learning to play and I don't think it's particularly favoured against any of the other meta decks, but nor does it suffer against any of them too greatly. It's a really strong meta deck, but as anyone who's ever played card games before understands, even really strong meta decks can sometimes be no match for A Meme Deck. Yes, earlier today I lost to... the Ball Guy.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 19, 2021

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

New ladder has Dedenne-GX in it. This card will rotate soon, but is competitively very very good. Would try to get 2 if you can.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, Dedenne-GX is a staple in almost every competitive deck. I picked up two from the Trainer's Toolkit which came out not too long after I started playing and the price of the card in packs was about 4-5 times what it is now. I don't think that box is a good deal at the moment compared to just buying Battle Styles codes and trading (or just playing the ladder) but it does have a lot of other good cards in it. However, as with Dedenne-GX, a bunch of them will rotate later this year.

I decided to start leveling my Fairy daily challenge bar, and I found this cute Alolan Nintetales deck which uses zero energy.

You basically just fill up your discard pile with tools and then swing. I don't know if it will work for evolution daily challenges, though, because Alolan Vulpix isn't Fairy type.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PC3GIOVANNI is now a working code for full art boss’s orders.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

New rewards track is up. You can get 2 x Mewtwo & Mew GX and 1 x full art Cynthia & Caitlin as well as 11 x Battle Styles packs. Both cards are rotating out of Standard in September but they're currently very playable.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
They've been so good with the rewards recently, it's a shame it's all stuff rotating out shortly but pretty much everything good in Standard is good in Expanded

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

https://www.pokebeach.com/2021/05/a-few-chilling-reign-cards-revealed

A bunch of cards in English from the set coming out in a few weeks. Most of its contents have been 'known' for a while but it seems like whenever they combine multiple Japanese sets into the latest English set some cards get left behind. Or maybe just put off for a later set? Are there some Japanese cards that just never get released in a non-Japanese set at all?

And why do they release two small sets in Japan at the same time instead of one large one? Is this just a historical thing specific to the Japanese market?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kalko posted:

https://www.pokebeach.com/2021/05/a-few-chilling-reign-cards-revealed

A bunch of cards in English from the set coming out in a few weeks. Most of its contents have been 'known' for a while but it seems like whenever they combine multiple Japanese sets into the latest English set some cards get left behind. Or maybe just put off for a later set? Are there some Japanese cards that just never get released in a non-Japanese set at all?

And why do they release two small sets in Japan at the same time instead of one large one? Is this just a historical thing specific to the Japanese market?

As far as I know, releasing multiple smaller sets more frequently and serially is just how it's done in Japan. Lots of cards do get left behind as well, see the trainer card "Sightseer" from tag team gx ultra or whatever the set's called for an expensive example. There's also many many promos that don't make it westward either.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

New rewards track is up. You can get 2 x Zacian V (probably the most pushed card in Standard) and 1 x Professor's Research full art.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Chilling Reign launches in PTCGO in minutes. Anyone hyped?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So I downloaded the TCGO client and I'm playing against the AI. Will I ever get to use my own deck against the AI or just the three theme decks for all eternity?
I'm worried about moving out of tutorial zone and getting stomped by Mega Ultra G max Jiggilypuff V or whatever the current hotness is

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Zam Wesell posted:

Chilling Reign launches in PTCGO in minutes. Anyone hyped?

I haven't been playing for a few weeks but I've been looking forward to this. I'll try to update the OP this weekend with new stuff.

HootTheOwl posted:

So I downloaded the TCGO client and I'm playing against the AI. Will I ever get to use my own deck against the AI or just the three theme decks for all eternity?
I'm worried about moving out of tutorial zone and getting stomped by Mega Ultra G max Jiggilypuff V or whatever the current hotness is

Stomped by ADP. ADP is eternal (until August). And I don't think you can play your own decks against the AI but to be honest I haven't actually touched that section since I started playing.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

HootTheOwl posted:

You can always test out your decks against the AI in the Deck Manager, but it will be against an AI deck from the Trainer Challenge, and you have to have all the cards for the deck you are testing.

In Versus (against other players), you can pick your Format: Theme (pre-built decks), Standard, Expanded (~10 years worth of cards, with some banned), or Legacy (anything goes).

Theme decks can be played against the AI in the Trainer Challenge, but also against other players. You can buy them from the shop, or use a code. I don't think they've released new theme decks in a while, so the games do get stale after a while. Both Charizard decks (Relentless Flame and Charizard Theme Deck) are pretty consistent if you are looking to start out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Shoutout to the four other people who play this game on this forum : I haven't forgotten about this thread, I've just been playing other things lately. I'm taking some time off soon and I'm looking forward to trying out the new meta. I've been watching some Youtubes and I think my first deck will be what I'm calling Path to the PikaRom mostly because I have a big electric-type daily to get through.

Shadow Rider Calyrex seems to be the big new thing, but what else is good in Chilling Reign?