Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Valicious posted:

Are we allowed to post sales for sealed product in here? I'm starting my card shop, and I wanted to give goons special discounts/promotions.

Oh, hell yeah! I would love to support this.

EDIT: Snipe, play Klawf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Silver Tempest ETBs for sale! They’re $30/each + shipping, but you get a FURTHER 5% discount if you buy a case or more. I only have Silver Tempest right now, but I can get more Pokémon sets, One Piece, Weiss Schwarz (the upcoming Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, annd Bocchi the Rock look amazing) after I sell these.

TLDR
Silver Tempest ETBs: $30 each
Silver Tempest ETB case: $285 ($28.50 each)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Valicious posted:

Silver Tempest ETBs for sale! They’re $30/each + shipping, but you get a FURTHER 5% discount if you buy a case or more. I only have Silver Tempest right now, but I can get more Pokémon sets, One Piece, Weiss Schwarz (the upcoming Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, annd Bocchi the Rock look amazing) after I sell these.

TLDR
Silver Tempest ETBs: $30 each
Silver Tempest ETB case: $285 ($28.50 each)

I’m looking for op06 or EB01 if you can get any of that (I’d redirect to the correct thread, but u don’t think we have an OPTCG thread).

We can also move this to PMs as well if you want so we don’t clog up the Pokemon thread.

You should also make an SAMart thread so everyone can record transactions there as thems the rules.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We should have an OP TCG thread. I'd post.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

We should have an OP TCG thread. I'd post.

I’d make one but I only collect, I don’t play. Id make a terrible OP.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You should also make an SAMart thread so everyone can record transactions there as thems the rules.

I did just now! (With flat shipping anywhere in the US to boot)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052521

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m actually interested into getting to the OP TCG (as a collector) so a thread would be cool!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

With all the different chase cards, and the problems stores had with getting product early on has made the game quite collectible. I’m worried about the games longevity if enough cards aren’t getting into the hands of potential players.

It’s a fun game to play and collect. I pick up a box of each set and whatever starter decks come out.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Not to keep talking about one piece in here, but uh is it hard to find these cards in English? Looking at Amazon, most of the listings there are for the JP version

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Not to keep talking about one piece in here, but uh is it hard to find these cards in English? Looking at Amazon, most of the listings there are for the JP version

It is genuinely impossible.

For the current set booster boxes are going for about $300 (MSRP is $110, wholesale is like $65).

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah it's been that way since they released the english version. You have to hunt down product, get really lucky, or just buy overpriced product somewhere. idk how distribution is going with that or what their deal is.

At least Disney acknowledged how hard it was to get Lorcana and has been trying print more. Same with Pokemon, they reprinted some of the covid sets like Vivid Voltage or Shining Fates after the Logan Paul craze to make those easier to get as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

They announced they're printing more of various sets, but I recommend trying to hit a store on release day. I've been able to get a box of each set for $125 or less, and refuse to pay anything more than that. Scalpers have been all over this game.

Uta starter deck comes out this Friday.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Here are some of the art rares from the two sets that just came out in Japan:

And these two are just stunning. I love the seasonal imagery.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Those are all fantastic

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
They're all amazing, the early S&V main sets have been way better than both S&M and S&S so far though I do miss rainbow rares. I'm a sucker for rainbows.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's there a place where I can look at just the secret arts?
I'm trying to find some to use as tokens for magic. The hoothoot on a cliff is a good 1/1 bird. I'm looking for a steel toe for a construct (magneton? Metagross?) And something for a plant (Bellsprout, Oddish?)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

It's there a place where I can look at just the secret arts?
I'm trying to find some to use as tokens for magic. The hoothoot on a cliff is a good 1/1 bird. I'm looking for a steel toe for a construct (magneton? Metagross?) And something for a plant (Bellsprout, Oddish?)

You could probably filter by rarity on TCG Player.

Filtering by price on just about any service will get you mostly the secret arts at the top. I like Collectr a lot.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I tried TCG player, limiting to ultra rare and it didn't seem to catch

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

HootTheOwl posted:

I tried TCG player, limiting to ultra rare and it didn't seem to catch

It's going to range from set to set, are you wanting to see alt-arts or whatever for each set? You can type in "Cosmic Eclipse", for example, sort by high price first and capture the cards you're looking for.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/search/all/product?q=cosmic+eclipse&view=grid

It tends to be true for newer sets like Paradox Rift as well.

https://www.tcgplayer.com/search/all/product?q=paradox+rift&view=grid

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok I'll try it this way

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Can also filter by rarity on pkmncards.com. I don't know if https://pkmncards.com/?s=rarity%3Ai...&display=images covers all of the relevant rarities, but it should be most of them. Can filter to just Pokémon as well by adding "type:pokemon" to the search. There should be links to several places to buy them on the individual card pages too. Ebay, TCGPlayer, Cardmarket, and Amazon looking at one of the cards.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah I was just coming back to say I noticed that secret illustration and illustration rare are selectable categories and I feel dumb for not clicking them earlier

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Louisgod posted:

They're all amazing, the early S&V main sets have been way better than both S&M and S&S so far though I do miss rainbow rares. I'm a sucker for rainbows.

I did like me a rainbow or two, but it certainly became less charming when there were like 40 of them per set diluting the pool of cards you could get...

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

My kids, ages 8 and 7, are getting into Pokemon. They've had their fill of Battle Academy and they want to start playing at the local game shop. I took them in for their first time last week and without real decks, they're not having much fun. Ideally I'd like to buy them each a prepackaged deck as a starting point, but I don't know the game very well and what I've found online seems geared towards older players, and honestly I just don't have the time to learn enough about the game to just build decks for them myself. I know there's a rotation happening right now, too. What's my best option for getting them prebuilt decks that are beginner-friendly and still viable post rotation? Are any of the prepackaged decks reasonable? I don't mind adding a few cards from TCGPlayer or whatever, as long as it's, I dunno, $30-40 total per kid?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
As someone who doesn't play Pokemon TCG in paper (just online now and then), I've found that standard meta decks are surprisingly pretty drat cheap compared to other TCGs. Like you can build decks that people are straight up taking to tournaments for ~$30-100 bux.

https://limitlesstcg.com/decks?format=BST-PAR&time=all

Take a look at some lists and see if anything appeals to them, perhaps? I know Charizard ex and Giratina VStar have been popular decks lately. I kinda stopped playing PTCG online because I was playing Mew VMAX and that got hated out of the format pretty hard at the time, but it still seems to be thriving, idk? Anyway, you'll have to probably buy all of these piecemeal from TCGplayer or your LGS or what have you-- I'm not sure if any of these decks are things you can get most of from preconstructed products since I don't follow paper.

That being said, with MTG's constant ramp in price and product overload, I've been considering just switching to playing Pokemon in paper. Nice and cheap, games are fairly chill and low-complexity.

EDIT: I get that your kids are on the younger side, but I don't think PTCG's all that hard to get the hang of and I'm sure they'd be having fun if they'd play decks that have proven win rates. For what it's worth, the TCG started when I was around their age and I understood it well enough-- granted it's quite a bit more complex now than it was, but still. YMMV!

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 24, 2024

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I'd also add to not fall into other things like the Trainer Toolkits they sell. While they aren't terrible (the whole point of the things is to sell staple cards so people can start deck building and kinda "teach" kids how to do it), they're not the best at it and the prices are inflated because they package packs in them.

I would also want to point out (although this is only personal experience) that TCGplayer and maybe trollandtoad are the only real ways to get the cards you'd like for deck building for Pokemon, I found that most stores will sell Pokemon cards, but really only the Ultra rares. A lot will still have other stuff in store but you'll need to browse their stock on a website, as opposed to them displaying whatever else they're selling and letting you browse by set. I'm sure some places do, but since Pokemon also isn't their main focus, sometimes prices are a bit inflated - again though, this is purely personal experience from where I live, and other places could be different!

Pokemon also avoided the "read paragraph and need English PhD to understand the effect" syndrome that plagues other TCGs, so getting them playing with more modern meta decks shouldn't be all that hard!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They sell prepackaged decks that are copies of the top competitors from worlds (the top invitational only tournament). Those might be good cheap options for them to pick up just to learn how to play an actual competitive deck, which are far more powerful than other prepackaged decks. You can't take them to tournaments since they won't be legal but I suppose it's good practice if they don't want to grind online.

Otherwise I would wait until the metagame settles post rotation (usually after about 2 major tournaments) and then look at deck performance on limitless, then copying one of the top two decks and buying all the singles on tcgplayer. It honestly will cost you maybe $30-40 and will be relevant in the meta for months. I bought Giratina last August and it's still good today.

Also pokemon separates by group age, so they would play live against other kids unless no other kids show up.

edit: there should also be prereleases at your game stores, where you get to open product a week before and build a deck on the spot from what you open. It's way more casual.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Thanks, everyone! It looked like whatever cards list I had originally looked at was matching me with a $50/card Charizard ex, but this new link points to a $4 copy of that card, so hopefully I can get these decks put together for the kids for less than the $180 my first attempt was going to cost.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there's like 6 different printings of Charizard ex. Giving mtg a run for their money there lol

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Yeah if you really want to bling it out you can but a lot of decks can be assembled for not too much. I have a shop near me that only does Japanese card games, my son hands them a list of what he wants and they go pull them for him

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Kalko posted:

In the Sword and Shield cycle they started making a new kind of alternative art rare, one which depicted a Pokemon in either its natural environment or in a more domestic one, and they proved to be an instant hit with both collectors and players. In Crown Zenith (VSTAR Universe in Japan), the final set for that cycle, they released a huge number of these alt arts, mostly at two different rarities, and for the Scarlet and Violet cycle they revamped the system, preserving the two rarities as Illustration Rares and Special Illustration Rares. In international sets, they're distinguished by a single or double gold star icon, respectively.

Illustration Rares are generally Pokemon of all the regular rarities:

While Special Illustration Rares feature the ultra-rare Pokemon from the set:

Sometimes they even tell a story, like this Ralts line from S&V:

Or this Charmander line from the upcoming 151:

151 also includes this super-cute version of Mew, which is only available as a promo from the set (I think one is included in every box):

One of the original goals of these new alt arts was also to showcase the personality of the Pokemon, and this upcoming Mewtwo (also a promo from 151) is a great example:

I may be biased because he's my favourite Pokemon, but I really love this art. It depicts a being with godlike powers, mistrustful of humanity, in quiet contemplation, on the outside looking in. It's perfect.

It'll be very interesting to see what cards hold/increase in value over the decades and which level off or are just never worth more than the cardboard they're printed on. The number of cards being pushed these days may make it so that anything but the two or three rarest set cards actually have any lasting value. Super hard to say. Fact is that cards are delicate....and the number of these unique cards will only go down. I personally think that these illustration cards are so colorful and interesting that I'd put my money on them being more highly sought after in time.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I don't think anything much will keep high value from the current era of cards - it's too mass produced. Something like alt art tag team cards from Sun Moon spiked in value because interest spiked but turned out that supply was relatively low, I don't see that happening with much of the current era. I'm open to being wrong, but more and more people are doing pack-to-sleeve too, so supply of better condition cards will also be higher than ever.

Stuff like Charizard, Pikachu or Mewtwo will probably go up in price, though.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 9, 2024

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

the colorless lugia deck you can get from 2023 champions box now is so goddamn good

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

John Romero posted:

the colorless lugia deck you can get from 2023 champions box now is so goddamn good

I might just be brainpoisoned from how expensive MTG sealed product is, but why are these decks so inexpensive? They're the exact lists from last year's championship, right? Are they not legal at all anymore?

Like, I can get all 4 for 50 bucks on TCGplayer.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

They have different card backs and are not legal for tournament play

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

a lot of locals won’t care if you use sleeves

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah that's getting into the proxy discussion territory which, quite frankly with modern Pokemon, I've never really seen people bother with how affordable decks are and how cheap staples are. Should only really be an issue at sanctioned events for points for the circuit I think, unless people at your locals have a stick up their rear end or something

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the only reason to proxy pokemon cards is if you're getting really sweaty and want to test stuff before it gets released

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hi Pokemon thread. I need to preface this with the last time I had anything to do with the TCG was before the turn of the century, and even skimming the OP I feel I'm not really getting the information I'm seeking. My soon to be 10 year old niece is wanting to get into the card game, she loves Pikachu, Eevee & Eeveelutions, and I think some of the "ugly-cute" characters like Mimikyu. I saw a Mimikyu "elite trainer box" at Best Buy and thought I'd get it for her, but now I'm thinking this isn't enough for an actually useable deck. Without getting into the weeds of min/maxing poo poo or esoteric grand strategy, is there some like off the shelf basic deck I can get her for like $25 or less that she can supplement with the stuff from the trainer box and this other 6-booster pack set and have a useable deck for someone just starting out?

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

There are a lot of starter decks as well as the champion decks mentioned above which aren't tournament legal but that should hardly matter. It looks like there are some Pikachu and Eevee starter decks from several years ago that aren't super marked up. There are also battle decks which are very low powered and meant to get you started right out of the box with 2 decks.

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/category/battle-and-theme-decks

You could also go a different route and buy a Build and Battle from one of the latest sets for about $20 which can then be supplemented with boosters and a trainer kit. If she loves to just open product I would go this route and encourage casual deck building, it's what I do with my nephew.