Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021
Holy poo poo we made the big time :v:

Hi I'm Sooz I wrote most of the dialog in this thing and contributed graphics for one area. I always get a kick out of seeing creator input in LPs so I figured I'd pop in and offer my dumb thoughts if anyone wants them. I can also relay unity's dumb thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Leave posted:

Oh, hello, holy poo poo! Welcome aboard, hope you like what you've seen so far, and I cannot wait to get some insider opinions on this game! Can I add you on Discord?

I'm so nervous! It's like meeting a celebrity!

I find your commentary charming and of course I'm always a fan of people saying nice things about stuff I've made!

I guess I should turn PMs on so I can send my name thingy. I am old I am not good with computers.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021
I hope you guys like references because unity and I have no sense of proportion or decency when it comes to them.

And yeah, this is a big ol' love letter to Earthbound and Silent Hill, so if you think something's referencing them, it probably is.

Unity looked into the rolling HP bar thing, but it's really hard to adapt things like that into RPG Maker (it probably also didn't get along with other parts of the code) so she ultimately decided, "Nah, not worth the headache, this isn't a clone of the game."

New guy here was one of my favorite characters to write. Most of the time I'm working in word balloons or dialog boxes, and rarely do I get to bust out a really wordy character. Unity was kind enough to tolerate having to figure out line breaks for the logorrhea.

Unity wants me to point out that the character description in the Status menu is a unique font that we'll only see at one other point in the game. :ssh:

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021
There's kind of an astonishing array of things RPG Maker doesn't play nice with.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

another cool thing about the game is that, iirc, most of the battle themes and some of the boss themes are original compositions by the devs for the game (one of them was even made by the guy who made Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, I think normal battles cycle between themes randomly so I don't know if we've come across that one yet)

Not quite- unity spent a lot of time searching various free music sites for themes, so the lion's share of the music is from cool people who put out resources for free. The Kasey Ozymy one was contributed as part of a secret santa exchange, and it's super great.

EDIT: unity told me there are a few more tracks she commissioned- a battle track, the most common boss battle track, and the scenes in Dottie's house. They were all done by Geoff Moore.

itsasooz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 20, 2021

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021
re: Vedim Space, unity says "It's just something I made up. I just thought it sounded cool." :ms:

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021
It's interesting seeing how many people feel Elothu's a good guy versus people who are suspicious of him. While writing, I definitely thought I was communicating in one direction, but apparently that was not 100% the case!

And that's all I'll say because I enjoy seeing the impressions and interpretations.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

FeyerbrandX posted:

I picked up the phone and this is who I called.

This is who I have on speed dial

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

ultrafilter posted:

Devs: Alicia's grimace when the numbers pop up is hard to notice because it's so brief. How about extending it to the entire attack animation?

Unfortunately, we're not really coders (hence using RPG Maker instead of a more robust engine), so there are a lot of aspects of the game that are there because we're relying on scripts and stuff that other people made, and we don't have the know-how to customize them. We'll try looking into it, but it may just be a thing that would require someone who can speak computar.

I think the reaction animation does last a little longer in-game, it just gets cut off in the gif.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Leave posted:

Miriam, what exactly was your job? Is it stated in-game? Did I miss it?

Miriam's job was ostensibly secretary to the mayor but he was a really lovely boss so her job ended up being "do whatever I feel like assigning you."

quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love that the doors have plenty of dialog for them being locked, but sometimes, it feels like effort put into a weird spot? Or maybe the writer just smoked a bowl and decided to write out two hundred and fifteen different bits of locked door dialog.

I don't remember who came up with the idea of multiple responses. It was probably me, because I'm one of those people who likes to examine everything in games so it's fun when there's a variety of things.

Later on when there are a lot of different doors, it stops being dependent on individual doors and instead becomes a rotation of canned responses. :eng101:

quote:

And the graffiti artist down there has his priorities straight. And if that's a reference to something else, I don't know what the hell it is.

The "Has anyone seen" graffiti is fun because it'll display different names randomly. Like a lot of the graffiti, it's references to people who helped out with the game or who are just part of the RPG Maker hobbyist community.

quote:

For added fun, whenever Elothu is speaking, imagine he speaks like a Southern plantation owner.

I wrote him thinking British Empire aristocrat, but this is equally valid and much funnier.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Elothu is FFX Anima in a Colonel Sanders suit, got it.

To learn the 11 herbs and spices is to know true madness. Delicious, deep fried madness.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Junpei posted:

Is there a refund option where you can reset all your skills if you wanna try something new?

Also... does that mean it's impossible to max out Alicia (and/or everyone else's) skills?

I watched one insane LPer who actually maxed everyone's skill trees out. It just requires grinding.

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

"much more civilized ways of fulfilling our desires" when the comparison point is going around sacrificing humans... you know, Elothu, you could at least try not reminding us you're sorta fundamentally evil (or at least alien in a very unhealthy sort of way) and we don't know what you're getting out of this deal every 5 minutes!

This would require having enough respect for his hosts to want to actively fool them.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Next time: doctor doctor give me the news, I gotta bad case of Cthulhu

:golfclap:

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Carbon dioxide posted:

Honestly, as someone who thinks as much people should get their covid shots as soon as possible, I really wouldn't have put a "vaccinated against their will" gag in a video game in the current RL political climate.

I can appreciate the sentiment, but that line was written in 2015 so, uh, we couldn't exactly predict a world-spanning pandemic combined with a massive spike in anti-vaccination sentiment due to a government run by insane people, and didn't think to scour the entire game later to make sure that no one-off gags had new implications due to... *gestures at everything* :shrug: There's only so much you can do as like a two person hobby team, and this is literally the first time anyone has brought it up.

Whybird posted:

I honestly read it more as a "practicioners of alternative medicine are unethical as all gently caress" gag myself.

It's mostly just "Miriam is pushy, and Vi is... slightly sketchy, in that 'not totally living in our reality' way." Y'know, the kind of person who'd marry Erick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsasooz
Apr 18, 2021

Carbon dioxide posted:

Fair enough, I didn't know how long this game had been in development.

Generally speaking, anything that doesn't look like shovelware has probably been in development multiple years when it comes out.

Especially if it's noncommercial, in which case the people doing it have usually been working on it for like a few hours a week when they get free time. Games take for-loving-ever to make!