Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Pleads posted:

I barely made it through a single episode of the NZ version because it was such a void of charisma, now I really want to see just how dire the US version wound up being…

S1? It takes a moment to get going, but S2 is off the rails from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MikeJF posted:

Often, but I think there's been a lot of times that some of them have been new enough they barely know each other. I reckon it's also just part of the comedy culture in the UK that it's a widespread skill for comedians and actors to be very affable with new people they have to be besides and figure out how to play off each other fast.

I might be missing the mark here but my experience of what I would guess is 'mainstream' US stand-up is far more tightly scripted than what you'd get in the UK, so if you throw together a cast of actors and stand-ups in the US you're not going to have the core improvisational skills to pull the people from less of an improv background along with the party.

e: also not saying (in the Dropout thread of all places) that Americans are just bad at improv comedy, more that if you get a bunch of TV execs trying to cast a show they're more likely to miss the mark because the kinds of comics you need aren't on TV every week like in the UK

Vando fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 25, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Echoing other's that NZ S2 is worth it alone. Among the best Taskmaster series ever done.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Echoing other's that NZ S2 is worth it alone. Among the best Taskmaster series ever done.

David and Guy make it amazing and the rest of the cast just elevate it to a whole new level.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ironically, After Midnight is channeling the taskmaster vibes (without the tasks as much) with the back and forths more than US taskmaster ever did.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I wonder how much of it is that improv in the US is usually associated either with very specifically Whose Line Is It Anyway? or your most insufferable friend's troupe performances at the community theater.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm pretty sure it's associated with the thriving streaming service, Dropout.tv

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Very many people watch TV, very few people go to amateur comedy shows

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Ironically, After Midnight is channeling the taskmaster vibes (without the tasks as much) with the back and forths more than US taskmaster ever did.

Did that get good? I basically like Tomlinson but the bits I saw of the first couple of episodes looked absolutely dire.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

inthesto posted:

I think it's much simpler in that all the other anglophone TMs (UK, AUS, and especially NZ) there's at least the feeling that they're a tightly knit comedy scene who know each other well and are comfortable riffing on each other

In US TM, it felt like they barely knew each other's names

I've never seen a Taskmaster but this description of what makes it work convinced me to check out the Québec version, because that specific vibe is something that the Québec comedy community is really good at. I'm enjoying it a lot so far!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pleads posted:

I barely made it through a single episode of the NZ version because it was such a void of charisma, now I really want to see just how dire the US version wound up being…

I agree that Jeremy Wells is a pretty bad Taskmaster, but I had enough goodwill for the contestants that I sat through season 1 and I wasn't mad about the time I put into it.

Season 2 is an all-time banger, and I hard agree that it's one of the best seasons of Taskmaster anywhere

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

kiminewt posted:

Did that get good? I basically like Tomlinson but the bits I saw of the first couple of episodes looked absolutely dire.

I mean, I thought the first episode was good, but Weird Al just did an episode with Drew Carey and Thomas Lennon.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

inthesto posted:

I agree that Jeremy Wells is a pretty bad Taskmaster, but I had enough goodwill for the contestants that I sat through season 1 and I wasn't mad about the time I put into it.

Season 2 is an all-time banger, and I hard agree that it's one of the best seasons of Taskmaster anywhere

thankfully the strength of a taskmaster version is who's the "assistant" and paul williams has the exact correct energy and willingness to be up for anything like alex horne does

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

kiminewt posted:

Some episodes are better than others; the format really gives space for people to swim or drown, and when you are used to Dropout level improv, those drownings can kind of feel like... what are y'all doing lol. Act like you've been a performer.

But Taylor Tomlinson is so loving charming and is perfectly suited to host; even when the guests bomb (and they do) she still pulls it together.

The episode with Mae Martin, Fortune Feimster, and Tig Notaro is a great example to see if you like it, because not only do Mae and Fortune mostly do good, Tig Notaro has this weeeiiird energy (that I loved) and Tomlinson is loving thirsty for her. It's so overt, it's great.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Smartypants was very entertaining. I am hoping everyone in the audience has a presentation in the first season.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

That was pretty fun and I am glad Trapp thinks I have the best Birthday month

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I don't even watch TV cause I'm too busy doing the Wenis.

The Wenis is a dance.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

kiminewt posted:

It's definitely gotten better, although I don't have time to watch regularly. I usually try and catch the Talk Show segment, which has grown into it's own fun thing especially when everyone goes for it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Grant is having a ROUGH week. And to cap it off by saying THAT? How could he?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I literally messaged my friends "wtf grant"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Grant is having a ROUGH week. And to cap it off by saying THAT? How could he?

Well, what do you expect when he kept interrupting Demi? smh, talking over marginalised people.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Well, what do you expect when he kept interrupting Demi? smh, talking over marginalised people.

I thought Grant was half Asian; or did the Tribunal of Mixed Asian Heritage rescind that?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

tsob posted:

I thought Grant was half Asian; or did the Tribunal of Mixed Asian Heritage rescind that?

That was Trapp
Here's the vid

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Look closer, that's obviously Grant as the half-Asian councilor

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

No, that's Keith from buzzfeed

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm confused, are bagels a fruit?

nerox
May 20, 2001

double nine posted:

I'm confused, are bagels a fruit?

Only if its a poppy seed bagel.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

promising first episode, hopefully the producers can get grant to stop interrupting the presenters as the season progresses

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Vic has a talent for talking like everything makes sense right up until they go completely off the rails. That last bit of free association was baffling and hilarious.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
It reminds me of talking points from Jackbox Party Pack, which I'm okay with, but, like every Jackbox game, is only good in small doses.

It's all a fun improv game, but the only negative was I think that intro where they have to go the motto will get grating.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It's all a fun improv game, but the only negative was I think that intro where they have to go the motto will get grating.

I hope it changes every show.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

I think the biggest problem with US Taskmaster is the cultural idea of cruelty from your superiors being the expected behavior just isn't an American thing. America didn't make Blackadder Goes Forth, they made MASH.

I don't find that example convincing. Mash is from 1972. Blackadder Goes Forth 1989. In the same year as Blackadder Goes Forth was a little show called the Simpsons, and I'd almost call Mr Burns the platonic ideal of the malevolent superior. There are plenty of more "Cosy" British sitcoms from the Mash era too (E.G. Dad's Army, Open All Hours, To The Manor Born).

The US definitely has different attitudes to authority than the UK- but it's not like "Mean/Arbitrary Boss" is an alien archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I thought Smartypants was basically BAHFest, but recorded professionally rather than being a live show with volunteer speakers.