Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Doing a guess for Of Mice and Murder killer.

I think it’s Hawkins. I think the magnets ripped shrapnel out of Squire Badger’s chest and the bone knife was used to try to cut it out. I think it’s Hawkins because he’s military and perhaps served with the squire? I don’t actually have a guess for motive though and I don’t have an explanation for the ghosts or dead bodies yet. Also I think the desk does have a trap door under it and Rekha is going to rake grant over the coals for that..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Watching the 3rd episode of 'Mice and Murder', now I'm wondering if Brockhollow had picked up some shrapnel in his chest from the Crimean War?

I actually got it right?!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well after this episode Hawkins is acting guilty as gently caress. Lars got incredibly lucky too. The model for the mysterious figure looks like a darker animal, so if the model alone was anything to go on I'd suspect it was Brockhollow. I genuinely don't know what to make of whether that his real body or not though. The fact there's stone dust around the eyes would suggest it's the real body, but the fact Brennan noted the eyes in the painted looked exactly like his would suggest it's not. Then Brennan goes "this has to be his body; and yet..." after it all. It's D'n'D so I'm wondering if there isn't some duplication magic at play here. The whole thing has been treated as a very low fantasy setting so far, but it's still D'n'D after all, so maybe there's a clone or there was magic used to shift a corpse to superficially resemble Brockhollow. So it has his external features, down to the stone dust around the eyes, but internally it's someone else and that person is the one that got shot in the war. That's not how you'd typically deduce things out though, since you'd normally be thinking about mysteries in terms of the real world rules, and not odd D'n'D world rules.

There's presumably some higher level figures at work here too, given their assailant had 3 attacks. Multiple attacks aren't a rogue thing either, from a quick Google. So it's presumably multiclassed to have sneak attack and a third attack. Fighters don't get it till the 11th level, so a multiclass fighter would need at least 11 levels fighter and 1 level rogue to get that set of skills? It's no wonder that assailant nearly killed Lars in one hit, nat 20 or no, if they're level 12 while Lars is level 3. If there is a level 12 enemy around can they even beat it in a straight up fight? Will they have to outsmart them to have any chance?

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 6, 2021

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

tsob posted:

There's presumably some higher level figures at work here too, given their assailant had 3 attacks. Multiple attacks aren't a rogue thing either, from a quick Google. So it's presumably multiclassed to have sneak attack and a third attack. Fighters don't get it till the 11th level, so a multiclass fighter would need at least 11 levels fighter and 1 level rogue to get that set of skills? It's no wonder that assailant nearly killed Lars in one hit, nat 20 or no, if they're level 12 while Lars is level 3. If there is a level 12 enemy around can they even beat it in a straight up fight? Will they have to outsmart them to have any chance?

NPCs in 5e don't, and generally shouldn't, follow the same rules as PCs. There are plenty of stat blocks that are able to make more attacks than a PC of an equivalent level would be able to. In the Appendix to Volo's Guide to Monsters, there's an NPC statblock for a "Master Thief" that has rogue abilities (cunning action, evasion, sneak attack 1/turn, and uncanny dodge) but also a multiattack that allows it to swing 3 times with a shortsword. It's CR 5, which is a deadly fight for 3 level 3 PCs and tough but certainly not unwinnable for a group of 6. Whatever Brennan is using isn't exactly that stat block (for one, the mysterious stranger used a rapier), but it probably isn't a wildly different threat level.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

tsob posted:

Well after this episode Hawkins is acting guilty as gently caress. Lars got incredibly lucky too. The model for the mysterious figure looks like a darker animal, so if the model alone was anything to go on I'd suspect it was Brockhollow. I genuinely don't know what to make of whether that his real body or not though. The fact there's stone dust around the eyes would suggest it's the real body, but the fact Brennan noted the eyes in the painted looked exactly like his would suggest it's not. Then Brennan goes "this has to be his body; and yet..." after it all. It's D'n'D so I'm wondering if there isn't some duplication magic at play here. The whole thing has been treated as a very low fantasy setting so far, but it's still D'n'D after all, so maybe there's a clone or there was magic used to shift a corpse to superficially resemble Brockhollow. So it has his external features, down to the stone dust around the eyes, but internally it's someone else and that person is the one that got shot in the war. That's not how you'd typically deduce things out though, since you'd normally be thinking about mysteries in terms of the real world rules, and not odd D'n'D world rules.

Brennan points out the body had crumbs from dinner on it as part of the evidence of it really being Brockhollow, but Mrs. Molesly remarks that the Squire hadn't touched any of his food during dinner almost immediately before the murder. Still think its a body double done up to make it look like the Squire's dead.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I must have missed them advertising this, but Mice & Murder is 10 episodes!

In the Adventuring Party Brennan mentions that had someone rolled a nat 20 this episode, they would get to the point they got to on episode 9 – which hell yeah! I thought this was following the general template of side quests being just six.

I had figured things were coming to a head following this episode, looking much forward to how things unravel for another six.

AP keeps on giving. On mouse butts:

"You never know which side you kiss and which you put more cheese in"
"Hey hey on a good night switch it up"

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 7, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PharmerBoy posted:

Brennan points out the body had crumbs from dinner on it as part of the evidence of it really being Brockhollow, but Mrs. Molesly remarks that the Squire hadn't touched any of his food during dinner almost immediately before the murder. Still think its a body double done up to make it look like the Squire's dead.

Well, the obvious answer is it wasn't the Squire that got killed. His family didn't know about the shrapnel, and Brennan said faking all that evidence in that amount of time is almost impossible, so maybe we've got a Don Draper situation going on here. Someone he was in the war with took over his life to get out of the war, and now they've been killed. This is supposed to be a Sherlock Holmes type thing, so now that we've removed the impossible, the merely improbable is left.

Surprised no one compared the list of Roman emperors to the ones in the li-berry. I'm sure there's some sort of discrepancy that leads to some secret passages.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's a new episode of "Meet the CEO" up on Dropout/YouTube, with extended outtakes stuff on Dropout. Pretty good. Not the best one, but still fun.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

rekha: "we've all heard it, we all know a stereotype comes FROM somewhere, right" lmao

her mic drop moment halfway through was so good

then both rekha and grant being unable to back down in their competition to the point that they actively refuse to look at the NPCs and instead only stare at each other

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2021

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Um, Actually has launched a Kickstarter for a home version of the game

And it looks like it's already fully backed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV0cjYLYTjM

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm kind of interested, but the inescapable problem with any game like that is that even with a few hundred questions you're going to run through them all and start repeating after only a few dozen games at most. Which will be even more pronounced for the person who actually owns the game; meaning they'll basically have to be host to be fair to the other contestants. I imagine if I did buy it that'd I'd want to start writing questions myself (or stealing them from the show, or maybe getting unused ones from the Discord) to supplement the ones in the pack. Honestly though, I think a digital version is probably nicer, just because I can imagine finding people to play online with easier than finding several persnickety nerds to play with in reality and there's at least the faint hope that the team would throw out some DLC packs with new questions every now and then.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wowie zowie, they've already made 17x their original ask. Have wondered if CH was going to throw in the towel, but there's clearly enough of an audience for them to cater to.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The World Inferno posted:

Wowie zowie, they've already made 17x their original ask. Have wondered if CH was going to throw in the towel, but there's clearly enough of an audience for them to cater to.

Well, even during the pandemic they kept making Um, Actually, Dimension 20 and Game Changer so those must be their shows that make money. It's just figuring out if it's enough to keep them going in total.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I’m loving the latest season of Dimension 20. Spoilers from the latest episode and the Adventuring Party: I wonder if been an undiscussed canine supremacy theme throughout the latest season. I think all of the Roman emperors were dogs, as was the king from the intro to the first episode. At first I figured Sylvester being the baddy was a fake out , but they committed to it hard in the Adventuring Party. Maybe there’s a dogs versus the other animals thing going on? Brennan noted the police were 3 dogs and two cats.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Prairie Bus posted:

I’m loving the latest season of Dimension 20. Spoilers from the latest episode and the Adventuring Party: I wonder if been an undiscussed canine supremacy theme throughout the latest season. I think all of the Roman emperors were dogs, as was the king from the intro to the first episode. At first I figured Sylvester being the baddy was a fake out , but they committed to it hard in the Adventuring Party. Maybe there’s a dogs versus the other animals thing going on? Brennan noted the police were 3 dogs and two cats.

I don't buy it, personally. I don't buy it for a few reasons, starting with the simple fact that we're only on episode 7 out of 10, and that feels too soon for the final villain reveal. It's also kind of idiotic that Sylvester would go out of his way to expose how the death of Squire Badger isn't a paranormal event and this woman isn't the murderer and the real murderer is still afoot if he himself is the real murderer. The fact Sylvester chose to put up literally no resistence to everyone's suspicions and his arrest is also weird; if he was guilty you'd imagine he'd at least try and allay suspicions. Instead, as Buckster pointed out he made himself look more guilty, if anything. Not to mention that two characters with deep insight into his life have no idea that he'd be capable of it (Daisy and Lars), and that the whole Cottonbottom thing is just odd to have as a confirmed "yes, he's still alive" if Sylvester is the actual killer. At that point Cottonbottom would just be a red herring that has touched the lives of multiple protagonists and secondary characters but never had any pay off even though we now know Cottonbottom is not only around but must have been in the house when the murder happened. Or else Cottonbottom is around and executing some completely different nefarious plan just when Sylvester is breaking bad. And both those scenarios are kind of stupid.

That aside, I want to say that contrary to what Brennan stated in the Adventuring Party episode I do not think Daisy is Irene Adler. Not because Daisy isn't cool and smart, but because Irene Adler is neither of those things. I saw several Sherlock Holmes adaptations with an Irene Adler in them before actually reading any Holmes, and when I did I was kind of shocked that in the one story Adler appears in she's kind of basic. She doesn't even do anything particularly intelligent or deceitful. She just notices Sherlock looking at something in the most guilty way possible, infers that the thing he's looking at is important and decides to check it. That's basically it. Daisy is way cooler than that :colbert:

I did love that during the episode itself though Rekha immediately decides to run with Katie's suggestion of getting Mrs. Crumb to show her whole rear end, but can't even finish saying it herself for about a minute because she breaks down laughing every time she tries. Between that and Katie really wanting to tell the story of someone she knows needing to go home and take a full shower after every poo poo, she had a good episode. Gangie was cool too, but Katie hit some good notes even without counting anything Gangie did. I especially loved everyone just kind of being sad for the guy that he has to spend so much on a taxi to get home in the middle of a workday and have a full shower after even tiny, unsatisfying shits.

I do feel sorry for Raph now too. I thought Rekha had some bad luck with the dice initially, but she's been on a hot streak and every time Raph tries to do anything cool the dice absolutely gently caress him. He's had a couple of potentially cool moments most episodes, and they basically always go bad. It's resulted in some great comedy as he mistook someone's dead father for their fiancee and poo poo, but I would like to see him get a win at some point.

I'm also on board for more Mice & Murder. I wouldn't mind one or two recurring characters, or one character popping up as someone in disguise as Sam suggested for Buckster, but another mystery based on a pastiche of the Orient Express as Vicar Prescott goes to Syberia and, I don't know, Daisy is there in disguise but everyone else is playing new characters would be cool.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 23, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

seaborgium posted:

Well, even during the pandemic they kept making Um, Actually, Dimension 20 and Game Changer so those must be their shows that make money. It's just figuring out if it's enough to keep them going in total.

Were they making new Um, Actually? I thought it was like everything else where the layoffs happened right after 6 months of heavy shooting so they were able to eek out a long time by rationing already shot stuff.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

They're making Um Actually episodes remotely, which would be weird as poo poo pre pandemic.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
They've been making new Um, Actually, Game Changer (one of them had Giancarlo Esposito on it), and, most recently, new Breaking News

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There was also a Game Changer with Michael Winslow, the guy who can imitate almost any sound from Police Academy. Where the two contestants have to try and out sound imitate him.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
So far I am completely flummoxed on motive? Like, if Cross is the killer, why would he leave a goddamn note telling people why he did it

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

It's a bit more meta, but I don't think for an instant Grant wouldn't take the opportunity to give a little speech and be a ham about it, if it was unambiguously him. It doesn't fit the genre or Grant to be quiet about it and just silently accept being thrown in an oubliette without that moment.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cyster posted:

It's a bit more meta, but I don't think for an instant Grant wouldn't take the opportunity to give a little speech and be a ham about it, if it was unambiguously him. It doesn't fit the genre or Grant to be quiet about it and just silently accept being thrown in an oubliette without that moment.

he got a LOT of spoilered texts. he definitely knows something and is waiting for a dramatic moment to reveal who he thinks the actual conspiracy is when they've played their hand more completely

and the "Sylvester Cross, I'm afraid" note is def a red herring where he got cut off mid-sentence

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

eke out posted:

he got a LOT of spoilered texts. he definitely knows something and is waiting for a dramatic moment to reveal who he thinks the actual conspiracy is when they've played their hand more completely

and the "Sylvester Cross, I'm afraid" note is def a red herring where he got cut off mid-sentence

Agreed. Honestly I'm hoping that they pull a "surprise magic is REAL" gag where it turns out that Grant has been a Rogue3/WizardX instead of just a Rogue 3 this whole time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cyster posted:

Yeah, Grant was hamming it the gently caress up in the Adventuring Party episode, but he said nothing beyond "huh, that does look like my handwriting" in the actual episode. Which is suspicious all on it's own. Man, those text though. I hope they release the actual body of them in some form after the campaign, because his was basically a CIA document, with almost everything obscured bar a few words at the start.

Edit: asking in the Discord channel for the show there's an official text document with all the text messages for each episode in them being released by the staff at this link, but the blurred stuff is still hidden. There's speculation in the Discord chat that the hidden information will be included after the show, but I don't think anyone involved has said anything about it yet. Still, worth keeping an eye on.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 24, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gotta say there's a lot to like about everyone on this season, but Sam Reich is such a loving natural at this it's incredible

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

theCalamity posted:

They've been making new Um, Actually, Game Changer (one of them had Giancarlo Esposito on it), and, most recently, new Breaking News

Um Actually just had the McElroys on.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

Um Actually just had the McElroys on.

*ding*

*deep breath* Um, actually they had on Justin, Travis, and Clint, and to say they had on "The McElroys" heavily implies that you're referencing the three brothers who host the flagship McElroy Family program My Brother My Brother And Me which is not entirely accurate because Griffin wasn't there even though they had the nerve to ask a question about pokemon *deep inhale*

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that the CH stuff, including Brennan's CEO vids, Dimension 20, and the more game show styled stuff, have kept chugging along. I never would've guess that the Um, Actually board game kickstarter would be that successful, and it always makes me smile when the ownership of something like CH pulls the plug and then the people who worked their either go on to great success or whoever ends up with the bones of the property goes on to make it successful. Seeing that happen with something humor oriented is particularly satisfying. It'd be better if the funding well never ran out and people kept getting supported, but this is as nice an outcome as you can expect given the situation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You get a great amount of content for 5 bux a month. I consider it money well spent.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

everything about it going under sucked except that Sam actually owns it now and appears to actually be making it work, i hope they can keep growing and get back to employing more people more permanently now that they are not owned by a faceless multinational holding company and instead by someone who seems to legitimately care about the folks working there (who's been here the whole time)

edit: just was reminded from wiki that he's Robert Reich's son lmao

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 27, 2021

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
I decided to subscribe, and I know about D20, um actually, and the other shows people talk about.

What are the hidden gems? There's a lot of content here.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Total Forgiveness is a great time, particularly if you like Grant, Ally, or both.

If you've ever watched food television, Gods of Food is a great short parody series.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cyster posted:

Total Forgiveness is a great time, particularly if you like Grant, Ally, or both.

Even if you don't, check it out. It's pretty much the definition of a hidden gem.

Cartoon Hell is also pretty funny, I just started watching a little bit of that

I'd also recommend Paranoia; it's like a game of Mafia with weed. Try to find an episode with Grant O'Brien, he thrives in games of social manipulation (and I mean that as a sincere compliment)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Rank Room was pretty good too. Lots of odd ideas that got tossed around, but really entertaining and funny.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

Erotic clubhouse is pretty great too. Watching two people making the dumbest slash fic off of absurd prompts is a fun time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jaxts posted:

I decided to subscribe, and I know about D20, um actually, and the other shows people talk about.

Gamechanger is still being made, but all the eps of that are great. Will mimic the calls for Total Forgiveness and Paranoia.

Badman is a delight. Otherwise, honestly a lot of it is pretty cliche sketch comedy, but if you like the people making it, they can still be fun to watch. Shows like 'Heist Night' aren't comedy gold, but they're enjoyable enough for some background viewing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jaxts posted:

Escape from the Bloodkeep is a pretty great little miniseries- It's like Weird Lord of the Rings from the perspective of the bad guys. It's got some great gags, but doesn't overstay it's welcome. His take on Not-Aragorn is Stalker, Ranger King of the Himbos was hillarious and he gets killed off before the gag gets old, for example.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 7, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DeathSandwich posted:

Escape from the Bloodkeep is a pretty great little miniseries- It's like Weird Lord of the Rings from the perspective of the bad guys. It's got some great gags, but doesn't overstay it's welcome. His take on Not-Aragorn is Stalker, Ranger King of the Himbos was hillarious and he gets killed off before the gag gets old, for example.

Matt Mercer's Witch-King of Angmar knockoff is absolutely hilarious with his ineptitude.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Matt Mercer's Witch-King of Angmar knockoff is absolutely hilarious with his ineptitude.

It was all the dice though, he just couldn't roll well when fighting that goddamned halfling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

But he actually has an arc and winds up doing some really cool poo poo by the end of it.