Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

YggiDee posted:

So how is Dimension 20 this season? I bailed out early because all the high school stress was hitting way too close to home and I didn't want to have nightmares about failing Math again.
Extremely good, although the stress never lets up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

tsob posted:

If Sam was the Taskmaster of a US production, who would be his Alex Horne? I think given his personality that he'd need someone a bit more impish and chaotic, so I'd think Emily; she's not actually part of Dropout as such though. I'd also wonder how his wife would do in the role.

I almost think Katie would do better as the stern, overbearing Taskmaster (Taskmistress?) though, honestly. I think despite Sam's occasional cackling glee at futzing with contestants, that he's generally too affable and nice to be Taskmaster.

Katie as TM and Emily as the assistant. Also, Sam is one of the guests on Tom Scott's 'Lateral' podcast this week.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Junior Year is really good so far, but be sure to mute/skip the godawful intro song.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the things you've gotta remember about Taskmaster casting is that the assistant isn't just the funny foil, they're the real person running the show, while the Taskmaster is the charismatic figurehead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Museum worthy.

'Pain' - Sam Reich, 2024

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

I don't think they're getting the deposit on that boot rental back.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

run on sentience posted:

Junior Year is really good so far, but be sure to mute/skip the godawful intro song.

Relax pal

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

run on sentience posted:

It’s stuck in my head because you mentioned it. I’m humming it right now and you can’t stop me.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
If you like it, good for you! It's unbearably cringe, but it's fitting for the series.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Doing a Starstruck rewatch, I forgot just how great Barry's intro scene was.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Love how in VIP Vic immediately went to pointing out the brits were doing colonialism. Also cum made an appearance again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

inthesto posted:

It's Grant

It's just Grant, there are other very strong answers but Grant is the only correct answer

I genuinely cannot imagine Grant being enough of a straight man to stand off and observe as the arbiter while contestants flounder through tasks once they've been set.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brennan as straight-laced assistant, Grant as Taskmaster.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Katie Marovitch could be a good underdog pick for either role

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Brennan as straight-laced assistant, Grant as Taskmaster.

IMO the taskmaster needs to be able to project power, and the assistant needs to be able to project being a weird little guy. Dropout is chock full of weird little guys, the power thing is more of an issue. Vic or Lisa Gilroy for taskmaster maybe? Or Wysocki?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ify.

Edit: Hell him and BDG already have taskmaster/assistant vibes on Umm actually anyways

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Brennan and Ify would both be strong choices as the Taskmaster, but I think it's in universal agreement that we'd rather see them as contestants

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Awkward Davies posted:

IMO the taskmaster needs to be able to project power, and the assistant needs to be able to project being a weird little guy. Dropout is chock full of weird little guys, the power thing is more of an issue. Vic or Lisa Gilroy for taskmaster maybe? Or Wysocki?

Katie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Awkward Davies posted:

A large part of the whole "who can project power" thing is that all of Dropout's nominees for the position have been in front of the camera so much, doing such silly poo poo in a very organic manner. Yeah, Greg Davies had been an actor in comedies prior to Taskmaster, but they were scripted shows for the most part and even then, his most famous role, as a teacher in The Inbetweeners, cast him in a similarly stern role for the most part. It's a lot harder to maintain that view of someone who has mostly come through your view for doing unscripted silliness. As such, they might be better off searching outside Dropout's usual stable for someone to fill that role and I nominate Travis Willingham. Yeah, I know he's just a big cuddly bear from watching hundreds of hours of Critical Role, but he's certainly able to project physical power at 6"4' and while he's not afraid to crack a joke, he's also one of the more restrained cast members for the show so, at least in my mental image of him, he's not just a goofball.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tsob posted:

A large part of the whole "who can project power" thing is that all of Dropout's nominees for the position have been in front of the camera so much, doing such silly poo poo in a very organic manner. Yeah, Greg Davies had been an actor in comedies prior to Taskmaster, but they were scripted shows for the most part and even then, his most famous role, as a teacher in The Inbetweeners, cast him in a similarly stern role for the most part. It's a lot harder to maintain that view of someone who has mostly come through your view for doing unscripted silliness. As such, they might be better off searching outside Dropout's usual stable for someone to fill that role and I nominate Travis Willingham. Yeah, I know he's just a big cuddly bear from watching hundreds of hours of Critical Role, but he's certainly able to project physical power at 6"4' and while he's not afraid to crack a joke, he's also one of the more restrained cast members for the show so, at least in my mental image of him, he's not just a goofball.

If we're pulling from the Actual Play community, Jason Carl would make for a good intimidating presence.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dark Horse candidate, Hank Green.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Katie's unbreakability on Breaking News feels like a perfect demonstration of utter self-control while chaos often literally surrounds her.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Rehka would be good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
paul f tompkins

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Taskmaster really needs to have at least a slightly nasty edge to them that Travis doesn't, as well as just projecting power.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Katie as taskmaster and Ally as assistant

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

scary ghost dog posted:

paul f tompkins

The only right answer

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think many of you underestimate the ability for many goofballs to turn it off and become a stone-faced monster if needed

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The Taskmaster really needs to have at least a slightly nasty edge to them that Travis doesn't, as well as just projecting power.

Brennan is already there, tbh, but he's too busy to also do this.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

weekly font posted:

I’ve been out of the loop in D20 since Neverafter since it landed with a big clunk for me and I gave up around episode 6. How’s Junior Year and what else dropped since then worth checking out?

Mentopolis is an all-timer great sidequest campaign in terms of comedy and everything just coming together. The other side campaigns between Neverafter and Junior Year are good, it's just that Mentopolis is SUCH a standout.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

MikeJF posted:

One of the things you've gotta remember about Taskmaster casting is that the assistant isn't just the funny foil, they're the real person running the show, while the Taskmaster is the charismatic figurehead.

Olanphonia posted:

Katie as taskmaster and Ally as assistant

Ally, the Taskmaster, arbitrarily handing out points and generally being playfully antagonistic. Katie, the Assistant, quietly suffering as she deadpans "All the information is on the task." and turns rolling her eyes into an Olympic sport. You don't need the exact roles duplicated. Just the vibes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, the best versions of Taskmaster internationally tend to be the ones where they don't try to cram the hosts into Greg and Alex's molds, and let them figure out their own vibe.

(In fairness, my favourite international assistant is the guy from the Swedish version who does do a good line in the awkward anti-comedy stuff Alex does, but he does have his own spin on it)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
For sure! "Vibes" as in... here's a bunch of relatively intelligent people being forced to do ridiculous things that make them look like complete morons for a person who doesn't really care about the results and a person who very much does. Which... could probably be accomplished by giving Sam some kind of Game Changer intern?

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 24, 2024

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I disagree, because Game Changer isn't actually all that similar to Taskmaster with the most important difference probably being that there is an actual, tangible and more importantly usually desirable prize to make the humiliation worthwhile in Game Changer. Sam has given some genuinely nice things away over time, and even done some episodes that are basically entirely dedicated to lauding people in some manner. Which is not the case with Taskmaster. The individual prize tasks at the start of the episode did occasionally include some nice things, but mostly it's worthless tat, especially nowadays and the actual prize they get at the end of it all is just a silly trophy. It's more bragging rights than anything.

Beyond that though, every episode of Game Changer hits one them consistently and the game just changes episode to episode, where Taskmaster has no consistent theme to the episodes or the individual tasks. There are only really two consistent elements, in the first task being a prize task and the last task being a stage task. Outside of that, they could take 2 minutes or 2 months, they could be based in the Taskmaster house or a random location anywhere else etc.

The actual tasks in Game Changer are very confined compared to Taskmaster in a sense too, because we're never going to get the sheer variety of oddity and lateral thinking that is called upon in Taskmaster in Game Changer, which is mostly an excuse to allow Sam to recreate games he likes and for the cast to stretch their improv in unusual ways. Which is completely fine, but they're not the same model at the end of the day.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

tsob posted:

Yeah, Greg Davies had been an actor in comedies prior to Taskmaster, but they were scripted shows for the most part and even then, his most famous role, as a teacher in The Inbetweeners, cast him in a similarly stern role for the most part. It's a lot harder to maintain that view of someone who has mostly come through your view for doing unscripted silliness.

We are Klang was his breakout act, and probably his biggest pre taskmaster success(although Inbetweeners would definitely have had more eyeballs). We are Klang is incredibly silly sketch comedy stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mainly knew Greg pre-taskmaster from panel show comedy and stuff like that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Always a little disappointing when the VIP guests preview way more interesting ideas than what they ultimately go with. Wanna see the prep metal episode.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Mostly I just want a game changer where everyone gets to enact vengeance upon Sam with him as a contestant.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
They did the Breaking News where he got shocked and had to drink toilet water but I suppose he's probably earned a full length ep of revenge by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I don't know anything about Taskmaster but from the posts I've read about needing a power figure how has no one thought of Lily yet?

Edit:

scary ghost dog posted:

junior year is the best thing theyve done since sophomore year and you can skip anything else between the two

Stoat season was good and worth viewing.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 25, 2024