Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Finally got all caught up on this LP! I hope anything else left in this game can be half as funny as the scumslip scene.

I'll definitely get this game sometime once it's on Steam and on sale. As another SA Mafia player, this looks really fun and the endless loops where you have a meta-narrative while learning people's metas is a great concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

archduke.iago posted:

I would note that Mafia is a really imperfect game to play IRL: the dead people sit around and do nothing, taking records of voting and conversation is pretty much required to make actual deductions but is super clunky, and it often drags on way too long. Gnosia solves pretty much all those problems by virtue of being a PVE experience. I think it came up earlier in the thread, but by giving each player a unique stat spread and personality, it explains away 'suboptimal' play in a narratively satisfying manner. Since the player is biased towards survival and unlocking story content, the player also has a justification for suboptimal play as well. It's a very neat solution- I similarly despise playing Mafia with real humans but have had a ton of fun with this game.

I'm way more used to forums Mafia, so the few times I've been able to play a Mafialike irl have been a cool novelty for me. Maybe I've just been lucky to have had good people though. Irl it doesn't work as well to take major time to analyse everything. If you just keep it light and keep it moving, flying by the seat of your pants, you don't get to make super serious deductions but people also have less time to plan out their lies. Having good snacks prolly helps, so dead folks can just have a nice break and grab some munchies.

But imo a really super easy way to make Mafia fun for everyone irl is to stick with One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Everyone gets to debate all the crazy role interactions and laugh about it, cause even the scums might not realise what the gently caress is going on, and each round is over too quick to stress too much.