Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rexxed posted:

There's a short maintenance on Emerald and Jaeger tomorrow for unspecified reasons.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/emerald-and-jaeger-maintenance-9-20-23.261769/

Maybe they're finally upgrading from a 486 33mhz to a DX2 66mhz!

Might as well call it Planetside 3 if they do! In all seriousness, it's kind of impressive how many players they have doing things at the same time given how old the game is and what old hardware it must be running on. There's some posts on DeviantArt on what reworks of Planetside could look like, and it just makes me want Planetside 3 to be real...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'd be scared that Planetside 3 would take all the current monetization meta and put it in planetside. For example, instead of classes you can configure, you'd get heroes who would be in those classes but have a range of abilities or weapons per hero, and of course there'd be some for certs and some premium ones for DBC. There'd be battle passes for the characters and weapons instead of just unlocking, or maybe loot boxes to get the characters. Maybe there'd be different versions of the same character with premium bling! I worry it'd end up with fortnite trappings in a planetside game. I don't keep up with the battlefields and the cods but I think they've done some of that with recent releases.

Now that said, none of that matters if it's fun to play. But the current dev team iterates on things like new weapons or class balance issues so slowly that it would never work without being handled by a studio who can actually put out a new set of characters and weapons every month or two. I think that aspect could be good but I don't feel like any game studio is going to put in the money to make it happen. Planetside Arena is kind of a good example of this, DBC wanted to cash in on battle royale (because Daybreak made H1Z1 and it wasn't great but their BR mode was very popular), but tried to enter a full market very late with planetside arena, and with little to no advertising and it flopped so hard it was available for all of about a month.

I'm fully aware that the battle pass, loot boxes, and limited availability of characters is a psychological trick to get people to be afraid of missing out. I've played a few freemium games that were early and hadn't quite figured out the tricks they tend to use to get people to buy in now, like World of Tanks or Planetside 2, and then also some of the games that are out now and have figured out the best tricks to get folks to spend month like Fortnite or Genshin. I think any new live service game will favor the latter because it makes a lot more money than the former.

Anyway, I think a game being developed now as an a live service will tend to be pushed by any company executives into some of the more predatory monetization and while, like I said, if the game is fun that doesn't necessarily matter, it's also hard to be excited about. I'm also not sure anyone's going to put up that kind of money for this IP. I like that PS2 has the kind of loadout system like Tribes or Tribes 2 where I can just pick a class and change a lot of the loadout at will, and while implants are an annoying monetization scheme they have led to some interesting ways to change up builds and increase customization.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Server still locked :sad:

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Scarabrae posted:

Server still locked :sad:

Servers are back up now.

If they do a PlanetSide 3 I want to see co-op content; give me 750 player Auraxis Defense Force versus giant ants

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Lima posted:

If you prefer to be up close then
The 7F is the highest dps cqc lead vomiter.
The Bandit is also good in cqc ("merely" as good as the Cyclone) and it has the 0.75 ads movespeed perk
If you find yourself ads'ing often then you probably want the Bandit, otherwise 7F.

If you like the drifter jets then the Tanto can be fun but it's gimmicky.

For general/medium range usage the Charger, Merc and Razor are all very good. The Razor in particular is so stable that you can put a 3.4 scope on it if you really want.

Never used the X11, Rogue or Compact.

The AC-X11 is a 200 damage monster. If you can reliably get headshots you're going to win most encounters. Even against hip-firing SMGs and other high RoF carbines. You won't win them all. Compact was only good because of the UBGL back in the day and that's been so nerfed into the dirt it's basically made that gun irrelevant.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Reddit's declared the game dead but the last couple of nights have been insane. Big queues on the active alert continent, tons of big outfit ops with armor columns and 96+ v 96+ fights. I spent so much time last night just killing NC and TR bastions. I mostly prefer being unnoticed with a Chimera using the Larion PPC, but I even pulled a couple of Colussuses (Colossi?) and while they didn't last long I popped quite a few components. I'm also finally getting a hang of the main gun in skylance mode, but I haven't messed with MAD yet much (a utility option that makes the main gun extra powerful for normal tank mode). I feel like a lot of folks who think the game's dead spend their time shitposting and not logging in but that's pretty normal for reddit I guess.

Fujin training is good but it's an unusual weapon to get the hang of since it has windup time and leaves you a little vulnerable after you throw it. I get why NSRobotNinja would always finish people he didn't headshot really fast with melee, it's effective.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
How are the servers that are not emerald doing? last I heard was they were all dying a slow painful death and that was a year or two ago. I pretty much expected every server except emerald to almost fully die by now lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zeldadude posted:

How are the servers that are not emerald doing? last I heard was they were all dying a slow painful death and that was a year or two ago. I pretty much expected every server except emerald to almost fully die by now lol

Connery is suffering some. I stop by to do fast missions now and then. Some folks say it's got bad routing tables and other folks say the population has dwindled so that there's only action during prime times. I see alerts on there now and then but a lot of the connery outfits have been rerolling on Emerald for the last couple of months since it seems like there won't be a server merge. That probably does help Emerald population but it was a couple of years ago that Goblins and Recursion made Emerald alts, but now they're playing them more. I've seen DPSO, SYNX, and quite a few other outfits playing on Emerald that I recognized from Connery in the last couple of months though. Even The Wild Cards who take everyone made an emerald outfit (it's TWC8 instead of TWC2 or whatever it is on Connery).

I don't know much about the other ones besides reddit posts. I believe that while people still play it on playstation, the playstation server still lacks Esamir because they didn't want to/couldn't port the campaign events to it, so it's just gone. I do hear it plays better on PS5 than PS4 but the last playstation I owned was the first one. Soltech is apparently full of hackers and people regularly post asking DBG to fix it. Not sure about the rest.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Here's me trying to get good at the Fujin for the last couple of weeks. It's really a weapon you have to get the feel for because it has a split second windup and then throw and travel time and a wind down before you can use your gun again. You can see in a lot of the clips in here that I'm trying different loadouts on characters, ranging from just a hermes cloak infil with the Canis and Fujins to a 90% copy of NSrobotNinja's build. I also rebound a mouse button to throw grenade which so far has only resulted in one accidental grenade throwing.

The soundtrack is a remix of an Avulsed track from 1998 so if you don't like uh, electronic remixes of death metal, you will probably not like it. It's fast and I like it though so it's in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22-t4JXWtSc

I can see why NSrobotNinja has picked out stuff for his build like he did. In some videos he would main the Punisher for the class specific LA impulse grenade which when paired with ambusher jets lets you get places very quickly and surprise people. He'd also secondary the little crossbow since it will kill on a headshot and it's good at that close range while still being silent. His implants are Nightmare (cloaks when you kill with a melee weapon or in close proximity) and Vampire which heals you if you kill while you have a melee weapon equipped. I've tried some variations of that but I'm still clinging to safe fall. I think if I could get over the mental association of "playing light assault means I can take big falls" I'd be okay without it but I've been trying switching off Infravision for one or the other implant to see how it goes so far. C4 instead of medical kits makes sense when you have the vampire implant and can hold your melee weapon while throwing the Fujin to get health from those kills as well. I've had some good max kills, vehicle kills, and group kills by getting in close with the Ambusher jets and popping C4 before people see me.

On NSrobotNinja's later videos he had access to the ARX Newton with impulse underbarrel grenades so I've been trying that on Wrackwither a little and it's pretty good. You can use the Punisher as a secondary and have more impulse than you normally would without actual impulse grenades.

The Fujin's ability to kill with a headshot is strong but you don't always get it and when someone's aware they're taking damage sometimes you won't have the time to line up another one, so I've been spamming the Amaterasu or using my main weapon. Being able to zoom side to side and toss those out makes people returning fire miss a fair bit, but the main weapon is more normal and it helps that you're often shooting someone whose shield is now down. Both work and kill people but I don't feel like I've gotten a solid feel for either one. The Amaterasu I do alright with mostly because I use it as my knife most of the time.

I also notice I die from behind a lot after killing someone. I think Nightmare will help with that since it will cloak me briefly, but I don't have it on BuriedOne yet so I'm working on unlocking that next. It's annoying because it's one of the slightly more expensive implants to craft and it sucks to spend ISO-4 on that when it would be better spent on other stuff, but I think I'm just going to need to do it if I want it since I haven't gotten it in any normal implant boxes.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Here's me trying to get good at the Fujin for the last couple of weeks...

Glad to see the Fujin's been fun on your end, I was surprised to find my NSO character had it unlocked and so I immediately filled a loadout slot on all classes with it for funsies - it's nice the bandolier gives you 8 to play with.

Will send a trip report once I start hitting people with the knives instead of whiffing over their heads as they crouch randomly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think the main thing I'm realizing watching myself play is that thrashing around wildly with a banana knife is almost as effective as precision headshots with fujins in some cases. I might have to try a non-amaterasu melee weapon to force myself to hurl more fujins or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Starting on Sunday, Emerald's login gateway started getting flaky again so when you log in there's like a 25% chance to get in and a 75% chance for the client to sit there and either just spin indefinitely (you can just click exit) or close itself and give a G15 error. Hoping they fix it more quickly than when this happened before, logging in one character shouldn't be a chore.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When you complain about something on the internet it starts working and supposedly they fixed it tonight. So far so good from my ISP, anyway.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New patch and event starting tomorrow:

https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/oct-5-pc-update-2023

quote:

Game servers will go down for our scheduled pc update tomorrow @ 6am pt / 3pm cest. for a 3hr downtime window.

Halloween Event (Oct. 05 - 31)
SpacePumpkins, frightening masks and more have arrived to the haunted world of Auraxis. Nanite of the Living Dead is here and with it brings the return of the haunted bastion fleet carrier, Halloween directive, cosmetics and more!

Space Pumpkins are back!
Scattered across a continent near you, these pesky squashes are springing up everywhere! Destroy them for bonus XP and progress on your Halloween directive!

Halloween Directive
Swing by Sanctuary and say hello to Sanctuary's festive vendors! When ready, venture out to battle and complete your Halloween missions to unlock the "Infernal" title and Halloween 2023 Banner and Frame.

Halloween 2023 Banner and Frame

Haunted Bastion Event
The Bastion Fleet Carrier has been spotted haunting the battlefields. Like an undead zombie, the carrier returns even upon its destruction. Keep an eye to the skies, soldier!

The Fleet Carrier can destabilize lattice hardlines while spawned making certain parts of the map incapable of being contested or captured until it is destroyed. The more SpacePumpkins are destroyed, the more likely this beast will appear!

New Depot Items
Doombringer Helios variant
This new Helios is wrapped with chains, spikes and horns, very doomlike.
Pumpkin Smasher Tire Spikes
Tread with style and equip these new wheels for your Sunderer, Harasser, Flash, and ANT.
Previous Halloween depot items have also returned including Halloween themed vehicle horns, decals, and helmets!

"Doombringer" Helios available in the Depot

Pumpkin Smasher Tire Spikes

Fixes
Fixed a bug that allowed a MAX to be revived by revive grenade.
Fixed missing glowing textures on bugged decals.
Fixed an exploit that allowed you to shoot under barrel grenades while in the weapon's rifle configuration.
Fixed a bug that allowed you to revive through walls with the Revive tool.
Fixed decals that do not appear on vehicles.
Fixed glaive cannon rotation issues that caused abnormal cannon movements.
Fixed a bug involving purchasing the 1.75x zoom attachment for the JVN-30 Salamander with Certs for NSO.
Fixed a bug where the Recon Array did not trigger a sound when a construction structure was under attack.
Fixed a bug with the chimera's secondary gun turning into the tank itself appearing to shoot through itself in third person.
Fixed a wheel audio loop bug on the chimera that would trigger when the vehicle was stationary.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Here's what I know about the event so far. When you log in you have the normal Sanctuary event to trick or treat with four of the NPCs on Sanctuary. This unlocks your free masks (which give 10% XP for the event and let you complete some of the directives). Some of the purchasable masks have +15% XP but they cost DBC. This year doing the trick or treating completes phase 1 (Novice) of the event directive as well:

Phase 2 (Adept) is the actual stuff to do off sanctuary and gives a title and ISO-4:

Phase 3 (Expert) gives a Mystery Implant (with favor towards one of the new ones) and some A7:

Phase 4 (Master) gives a Halloween 2023 banner and frame:

For the directives I forgot to get a clear screenshot of the numbers but in Phase 2 it's:
Smashing Pumpkins: 23
Silver for Monsters: 15
Necromancer: 100
Masked Murder: 15
Witchy Ways: 666
Ghost Ship: 2

Here's the tooltips of each:

I don't know what the numbers look like for phase 3 or 4 yet (Expert or Master) but I'll post a screenshot if/when I get there.

edit: forgot the mystery implant tooltip, it's the same one as the last summer event though (which I did 6 times and got common implants each time):

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 6, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Numbers for the expert step:

So far the easiest is masked murder (obvs), Silver for Monsters (only hard today because people haven't put on masks yet), and Ghost Ship since the bastions seem to show up once per continent or so, kind of like the air alerts previously. I don't think Witchy Ways is working correctly since with a lot of ammo resupplies mine only moved a tiny bit. Necromancer will probably be a pretty solid choice if there aren't enough ghost ships and witchy ways doesn't go up fast enough.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Thanks for the writeups!

Some of these masks are pretty good like the bionic one on NSO so it's too bad they'll be gone after the event.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Thanks for the writeups!

Some of these masks are pretty good like the bionic one on NSO so it's too bad they'll be gone after the event.

The fun masks that you can wear all the time are only available in the store and NSO don't get any since they made most of them before NSO came out. We just got the freebies adapted for us. I'd have slapped down some cash for 15% xp over 10% xp at some point, or even just for more cool helmets (heck, I did with the black flaming skull one a few years ago) but they just haven't put out much for NSO.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New Prime Gaming code with a Perfect version of the Phylactery implant and faction NS Slugger baseball bats:

https://gaming.amazon.com/prime-slugger-bundle/dp/amzn1.pg.item.afbb88b0-503a-4769-a181-9a90e5a75854

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

With the Halloween event ongoing I should re-mention the fast way to change helmets for all your class loadouts. Unfortunately it's still manual instead of a "change all helmets to x" button but this saves some clicking. Hit escape, then classes, then make sure you're on loadout 1 or 11 (or whatever the last one you have is) of that class. Then hit change appearance and scroll to the helmet you want. Click helmet, then hit the number key on your keyboard of the next loadout (1-10, loadout 11 has no key so I start there on my main account with 11 loadouts). This will switch to that numbered loadout so you can just click the helmet tap the number and it takes ~10 clicks and number key presses per class instead of clicking each one at a time and selecting to change helmet on it. Since I have 11 loadouts I start on 11 and then hit 0, 9, 8, etc...

It's not an obvious thing because the loadout number page for the class isn't visible once you're in a sub-menu like the appearance one or gun attachments or gun selection, but it works for all of those. It works for vehicles too if you want say, Racer on every sunderer chassis loadout or whatever.

The only time it doesn't seem to work is if you buy a new attachment or item in a sub menu page, then the number keys no longer switch loadouts, you have to back out to the main loadout page and go back into the submenu for what you wanted and then you can change loadouts with the number keys again. Also if you're putting attachments on a gun, for example, a silencer on all your pistols on your infiltrator loadouts, but one of the loadouts doesn't use that gun it will just not let you click on the item in the submenu when you get to that loadout number.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

:stare: I had no idea there were keyboard shortcuts. Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Finally got to the last step of Halloween 2023 directive. It's a lot:

Also my first mystery implant of this event was not exceptional so that's 0/7 (I got 6 last event, all green).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hotfix tomorrow:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/oct-25-pc-hotfix-2023

quote:

OCTOBER 25, 2023 - PC HOTFIX
10/24/23 2:35 PM

Game servers will go down for our scheduled pc update tomorrow @ 6am pt / 3pm cest. for a 3hr downtime window.

Misc. Changes, and Fixes
Mystery implant description updated to reflect current implant changes.
Fixed a typo in haunted bastion alert when fleet carrier is destroyed.
Wavestinger Harpoon now contributes to melee based directives and works with melee implants.
NSX Fusion Blade now works with Scavenger Implant and contributes towards "Silver for Monsters" Halloween Directive.
NS Homerun now contributes to melee based directives, including "Silver for Monsters" Halloween Directive.
Fixed the medical tool being interrupted by players and vehicles. Static collision like walls, roofs, and cover objects will still break line of sight.
The NS-66 Punisher's Adaptive Underbarrel attachment now correctly fires the grenade of your current class.
The substantial FPS drop related to shield generators was fixed. It was caused by incorrectly configured and spawned visual effects which have been reimplemented to avoid this issue. The generators should look and work essentially the same without the side effect of making your computer cry.
MAXes can no longer be revived by grenades. The issue was caused when the player's class would sometimes be changed during the death cam, allowing the now non-MAX MAX to be revived.

It's nice to see some current problematic bugs being fixed, like the generators lowering FPS if you look at one when it's overloaded. I'd get dumped down to like 50 FPS from my usual ~150ish, and it would show as CPU limitations when I have a 5800X3D which hasn't been a source of those problems.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A couple of months back they announced Outfit Wars for this year but then they took it down and said no Outfit Wars this year. A lot of competitive outfits were sad and mad because that made it seem like the game was dying.

Today there's an announcement for Outfit Wars with enlistment starting Nov. 15th and Qualifiers early December with Playoffs Dec 29/30th and Championships Jan 12/13th. Folks who regularly participate in outfit wars are mad about the lack of prep time and the medic changes that went in today (to fix chain reviving through walls they made the medic tool LOS very restrictive, like the engineer tool basically) and are suggesting a walkout/boycott.

So, who knows! It doesn't affect me at all since I'm antisocial.
https://www.planetside2.com/news/outfit-wars-nexus-season-02

quote:

Outfit Wars is back!
Outfit Wars is a tournament-based event where outfits (organized groups of players) compete against one another to show who is the most prepared, coordinated, and fearsome on the field of battle. Outfits will fight for leaderboard placement match in hopes of achieving rewards, recognition, and bragging rights. Below we'll walk through each phase of Outfit Wars to prepare you for the greatest fights on Auraxis.

Phases of War
There are four main phases in Outfit Wars (Enlistment, Qualifiers, Playoffs, and Championships) that take place over the course of seven weeks.

Enlistment - Enlistment phase begins Nov. 15.
Any outfit with at least 48 players can sign up to participate after paying the resource entry fee. At that point, at least 48 players from that outfit must confirm their participation to verify the Enlistment.
While 48 members are required to validate the signup, they are not the only outfit members allowed to play. Any outfit member can jump into a match that has begun, provided their outfit rank has the "Outfit War" assigned. These privileges are determined by your outfit's leadership.
Qualifiers - When the first week of Qualifiers begins, (Dec. 1 / Dec. 2) Enlisted outfits will immediately be assigned their upcoming match day and times. Matches take place once per week on a Friday or Saturday at 8pm or 8:30pm server time. When that week's matches are over, placements for the next week will be determined, and new match times will be assigned. This gives outfits an entire week to get organized and stock War Asset supplies as necessary.
Playoffs - After four rounds of Qualifiers, the top eight outfits will make their way into the Playoffs. (Dec. 29 / Dec. 30) The first-round Playoff winners will then move into the final Playoffs matchup to determine who will match up against one another in the Championships.
Championships - When the final Playoffs match is complete, their scores will determine the Gold/Silver and Bronze/Fourth place matchups. Placement in this last match determines the final winners in the Outfit Wars season. Championship games will take place exclusively on (Jan. 12 / Jan. 13).

The 1v1 Format
For this season, outfits will be pitted against one another in one-versus-one combat on the battle island of Nexus.

When a match begins two teams of up to 48 players can travel to their match on Nexus.
Each match has a 20 minute preparation phase, during which players can enter the zone and start getting organized. Players are confined to the Warpgate during this time.
When the preparation phase ends, a 45 minute match timer begins, and no other players will be allowed into the match.
The Colossus and Bastion Fleet Carrier are unavailable on Nexus, though other War Assets are fair game.
Construction is unavailable on Nexus as well, though ANTs are still available without terminal access.
Continent lock benefits, and boosts to Nanite gains are not in effect on Nexus.
The snowy battleground of Nexus is divided into two Warpgates and nine bases. The three center bases begin neutral, and the three bases nearest each Warpgate begin owned by their respective faction.
When the alert begins, players will be released from their Warpgates, and be able to begin capturing and defending these bases.
The team with the most controlled territory at the end of the alert, or the team who can connect their Warpgate to the opposing faction's Warpgate, will win the match.

Win/Loss and Bracket Points
At the end of each match cycle, outfits will be sorted into their next matchups based on who has the strongest win/loss record. When ties in win/loss record exist, Bracket Points determine who has the better overall standing.

Each match on Nexus has a pool of 500 points that outfits are capable of earning. Once per minute, two points from this pool are given to an outfit for each base they currently own. In the case of a dominating victory, and remaining points in the pool are given to the victorious outfit.

This mechanic is meant to incentivize aggressive play where scoring a decisive victory is going to be more beneficial than a long, drawn out encounter. It also helps quickly segment outfits of varying skill levels throughout the Qualifiers.

Same Faction Fighting
Outfits from the same faction may fight one another whenever the matches line up that way. Each team will be assigned to either the Red or Blue team while on Nexus, and your tracer fire, abilities, and HUD indicators will be updated to follow suit. We've also made accommodations for setting your own HUD indicator colors while specifically on Nexus. Nanite Systems Operatives players who have chosen a home faction will now also be able to compete alongside their outfit.

Rewards
Outfit Wars rewards come in a few varieties, though the awards listed are subject to change:

Each match on Nexus awards ISO-4 when the alert ends, for all participants.
Any character that has ended at least one match on Nexus will be eligible for placement rewards.
Placement rewards are made available for outfits who make it into the Playoffs and beyond.
A special Outfit Wars profile banner is available for outfits in the top eight and higher, while unique Bronze, Silver, and Gold banner frames will be available for the top three outfits.
When Outfit Wars ends, statues for the victorious outfits will remain visible in Sanctuary until the next season begins.

10/25 3:22pm Article Edit:
Match times have been adjusted to reflect correct dates. Prior dates were phase start times. Please see the adjustments above.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The medic tool change is going to be reverted and reworked so it should behave like before, but stop after a revive. The previous issue they were trying to correct is that you could chain-revive someone you had tethered through a wall by just holding right click on them. So, that should sort it out. In the meantime Emerald is getting dogpiled by a lot of Connery outfits prepping for outfit wars on NC and winning a lot of primetime alerts. GOBS and OO and a couple of others are putting on hard point holds and it's a challenge. TR still had a few organized outfits but not quite to that level, and VS mostly has VKTZ who are good at point holding but have a mix of talent. We did pick up DPSO and some other Connery outfits as well but there seem to be more on NC. I suppose things will tone down a bit after outfit wars, maybe.

The Halloween event finished on Oct. 31st and I finished the whole thing on two characters. Got the mystery implant on a couple more (none exceptional, I think I'm 0 for 10 or so between both events that offered it), and didn't push much with the rest because the main event was a grind. BuriedOne is a new character as of 8/26 and I picked up 224 Demon Seeker HLX kills and 88 Seeker HLX kills to get the 15/50/100 silver for monsters kills, but since a lot of people don't wear masks I'd say I had about a 20% chance of a kill counting. A lot of credit for that directive went to the Amaterasu knife as well, though. I can't really separate out the kills for that since I use it on most loadouts and I'm at 372, but I use it to finish off people I hit with Fujins and anytime I need a knife in general.

In the meantime, upcoming events are the Anniversary this month and Auraximas in December. There's no news about the anniversary yet. Usually there's some bundles with tiering at $30, 50, 80 or something (it's more but there's 10% off with membership), and sometimes an anniversary event. The next big event with a lot of stuff in it will probably be Auraximas in December. They usually let it go into January since folks may not be gaming as hard during the actual holidays. It's pretty grindy and I think last year needed 300 kills with holiday weapons so I bought the NS-11C and NS-15M frostbite versions to get through. The Santa's little helper shotgun is basically a Baron and usually counts as well but it's not something I want to do 300 kills with. This year may be different, though. I just hope killing snowmen isn't a requirement.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The developers finally released a letter on current dev priorities. It seems like they have some new people on the team and are focusing on capture the conduit which kind of sucks right now. There's a post on what they plan to do with it which sounds better, basically capturing the conduit will turn it into a normal capture point you hold for the timer. They're going to change some bases for more protected sunderer spots, too. I know their example is Advari Barracks and yeah, that one kind of blows.

https://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-letter-nov-2023

Anniversary bundles will be out in a week or so!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

The developers finally released a letter on current dev priorities. It seems like they have some new people on the team and are focusing on capture the conduit which kind of sucks right now. There's a post on what they plan to do with it which sounds better, basically capturing the conduit will turn it into a normal capture point you hold for the timer. They're going to change some bases for more protected sunderer spots, too. I know their example is Advari Barracks and yeah, that one kind of blows.

https://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-letter-nov-2023

Anniversary bundles will be out in a week or so!

I like the push-pull of capture points opening up other capture points, kind of like an intra-base lattice. Having that in addition to "capture all points simultaneously" would be a good mix.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Anniversary stuff coming. I sort of wish they had more pictures of the cosmetics but oh well. Last year I skipped the 10 year ragnarok bundle but ended up buying it during the later bundle sale. Might do the same this year, we'll see.

https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/eleventh-anniv-pc-update

quote:

Happy 11-Year Anniversary!
PlanetSide 2 turns 11 years old on November 20! To celebrate, this year's anniversary update brings a change to bases in Oshur, we reverted back the Medic tool functionality, MAXes have a new Geode and Crystal themed armor, along with misc. changes, bug fixes and more!

As we move into the new year of PlanetSide 2, we want to give you a little sneak peek at what's coming soon! Check out the details in our latest development update here.

Double Experience Weekends!
Celebrate with us in game! Everyone can enjoy DOUBLE EXPERIENCE! See the schedule below!

Double Experience for ALL- Nov. 17, 18, 19, 20
Double Experience for MEMBERS - Nov. 24, 25, 26
All Access members receive double experience on the last full weekend of each month. More information here: https://www.daybreakgames.com/allaccess

New 11-Year Anniversary bundles

We have a fun set of Mineral and Crystal themed cosmetics for our 11th Anniversary Bundles. Each bundle tier contains everything in the tier below it plus some extra goodies.

Hobbyist Bundle
4 unique Banner and Banner Frames, one for each faction.
4 unique Volcanic Glass-themed helmets, one for each faction.
(NSO) - Dissonant Resonator Helmet
(VS) - Zeal Infuser Helmet
(TR) - Molten Fury Helmet
(NC) - Invaluable Operator Helmet
A Seismic Sensor Drop Pod cosmetic, for when you just need to come down hard on someone in style.
A unique 11th Anniversary Decal.
Geologist Bundle
Everything in the Hobbyist bundle plus:
The NS-44 "Primed Amethyst" Commissioner crystal themed skin.
A 6-Month Heroic Boost.
Rock Hound Bundle
Everything in the Hobbyist & Geologist bundles plus:
4 unique Geode MAX Armors, one for each faction
(NSO) - Dissonant Resonator Armor
(VS) - Zeal Infuser Armor
(TR) - Molten Fury Armor
(NC) - Invaluable Operator Armor
Crystal-themed, faction colored, vehicle trims for the following 7 Vehicles (27 skins in total)
Sunderer
Lightning
Valkyrie
Liberator
Galaxy
Corsair
The Fortune Seeker HLX Survey Crossbow.
The NS-R3 "Mountain Buster" Swarm Rocket Launcher.
A 12-Month Heroic Boost.

November Holiday Sales
There are a few other sales coming your way this month!

Thanksgiving Sale on November 23rd
20% off Infantry Weapons
Black Friday Sale on November 24th, 25th, and 26th
40% off Infantry Cosmetics
Cyber Monday Sale on November 27th
20% off Implant Packs

Misc. Changes, and Fixes
The Medic tool functionality has been reverted to behave more like it did previously, once again able to maintain a link through walls and other collision; however,
Upon completing a revive the tool will disconnect from the target, requiring the medic to reestablish line of sight to revive them again.
Outfit Wars sign-ups begin! Learn more about Outfit Wars here and check out our latest trailer here.
The Veridad Pass and Astira Solar Station construction bases on Oshur have been converted into a single capture point outpost.
M. Callum and G. Kyle have had their Dog Tags relocated to accommodate the change.
Sanctuary has Anniversary music.
NSO rocket launcher reload sounds should once again function properly.
Melee weapons should now make a shield impact sound when they strike a shield.
A30 Walker and M20 Drake audio reworked.
Added proper mechanical layers on fire end audio.
Factions now have unique mechanical layers for fire end audio.
The fire end audio now properly replays even when quickly tapping the fire control.
A large number of sounds were not properly regulated by audio sliders, these have been fixed.
Fixed a render issue on Nexus that was causing large frame rate drops.
Fixed a render issue on Indar by added objects to certain locations.
A portal to the lands unknown has been filled in on Esamir.
Some laws of physics defying batteries were removed from Hossin and sent to the lab for analysis.
When logging back in NSO characters will now be fully visible on the login screen.
Tutorial VO will now properly stop if you quit while it is playing. How rude.
NSO Chimera wheels will no longer sound like they are still moving while in first person.
Only soldiers fully authorized and certified in a weapon may purchase attachments for it. You can no longer purchase attachments for unowned weapons.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There are a couple of patch day bugs like all commissioner pistols except the new one having their sights broken, but they're working on it. The new cosmetics from the big bundle aren't that great but they're okay. I'm undecided but might pick it up because it gives NSO maxes a weird glowy suit thing and we don't get much in the way of brobot cosmetics.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Since it's double XP for all this weekend and next weekend there's a player run event to get more folks into/back into PS2 called bring your friends planetside. Bunch of outfits doing open squads/platoons to try to get folks in:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/17xk90v/bring_your_friends_planetside_weekend_1_november/

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I was online earlier and things were busy. Game is still fun.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They seem to have left double XP on for now, maybe because Cobalt was down for half of the weekend, maybe because someone didn't turn it off. Either way, more xp!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanksgiving sale is 20% off all infantry weapons today. Not as good of a deal as a lot of them (it feels like the good sales are 40% off), but if you really want something it's better than no sale.

edit: I see on the launcher now that they are saying the weekend (Friday-Sunday) is 40% Infantry Cosmetics, and Monday is 20% implant packs. You should never buy the latter with DBC but good to know.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 23, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Has anyone else being getting G15 errors in the past 24 hours? I have not been able to connect at all.

https://www.planetside2.com/game-error?code=G15

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Has anyone else being getting G15 errors in the past 24 hours? I have not been able to connect at all.

https://www.planetside2.com/game-error?code=G15

Yeah they have this problem on Emerald a lot on the weekends. It's usually their login servers borking up. The only work arounds I've found that work are to log into a different Emerald character (hoping it doesn't G15 too), then logging out and waiting like 20-30 seconds before trying the character you were trying to get onto. If the logins are really choking globally this won't do poo poo, but last night when I'd get a G15 switching characters I had a high success rate with this. Trying to log in to the same character that was getting the initial G15 timeout would just get me another one. I can only assume the login/logout process gets hung up for a particular character or something and giving it more time and trying a different character unsticks it somehow.

In the past I've seen people suggest verifying game files and doing a bunch of other poo poo to try to resolve it and usually nothing changes the behavior since it's server side, but I've found the above to be successful if it's the usual weekend Emerald login server BS.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Little hotfix today to address some of the issues from the anniversary patch (although not all):
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/nov-30-2023-pc-hotfix.262059/

quote:

Misc. Changes, and Fixes

Auraximas items will return to the depot on December 1st, ahead of the Auraximus event
Tweaked the camera for the Fortune Seeker to reduce how much it obstructs the view
The 11-year anniversary "Rockhound" VS MAX armor will no longer occasionally deflect bullets
The Commissioner sights have returned from their communion with Vanu
Crystal Shaders have been reworked to improve visual quality and reduce bugs
The LAV line of rocket launchers have had their reload animations fixed
- - This will need to be implemented in a future patch, we ran into some technical issues adding it to today's hotfix.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Here we go, it's Auraximas time:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/dec-7-auraximas-2023

quote:

Auraximas 2023
Auraximas is here! And with it comes some fun, both old and new

Sanctuary Decorated
Directives
Double Double experience for all weekends. That is, 2 separate extra long double experience weekends.
From December 22nd - December 25th, and.
December 29th - January 2nd.
Previously released Auraximas items have returned to the depot for your winter pleasure.
We are also introducing some new items:
The 'Knitted Scarf' Helmet.
An ice themed 'Cold Fusion' NS-66 Punisher (now with correctly functioning launcher!).
All previous Anniversary bundles will be returning at 40% off.
The One, Two, Three, and Four year bundles will be available from December 8th - 10th.
Bundles Five, Six, and Seven from December 15th - 16th.
Finally bundles Eight, Nine, and Ten will appear from December 22nd - 24th.
Ringing in the new year we will be bringing back New Year's bundles from previous years as well as offering a new one.
New Beginnings Bundle.
Fireworks Themed Multi Camos for each faction in their very own stylish colors.
A Firework Horn to bring in the new year by leaning on your steering wheel.
Auraximas Directive Event
Seasonal directives should be a fun, challenging and most of all rewarding experience for all our players, new, old and returning! This years Directive boasts an impressive amount of goodies so what are you waiting for, go spread some Auraximas Cheer/Fear!

Directive Event Rewards
Tier 1
250 Certs

Title: Ice Dragon

Holiday Beanie

Tier 2
500 ISO-4

Ice Dragon Banner

Ice Dragon Banner Frame

Tier 3
500 A7

Ice Dragon Camo (Multi-Camo)

Basic Implant Pack

Tier 4
Flash Freeze Skin (Flash)

Bug Fixes
Continuing with our effort to squash long-standing bugs alongside each release

Continuing to hold the Jump key will no longer cause Light Assault Ambusher Jump Jets to misfire, consuming fuel without the accompanying boost. If the key is held the jets will now fire properly as soon as enough fuel is regained.
Rifle & Auto-shotguns have had their sights more accurately aligned in ADS.
Fixed the grenade launcher animation becoming stuck while interacting with terminals.
C4 can no longer be attached to the inside of allies (The Joker is disappointed).
Vehicle destruction SFX and VFX will no longer cut out before they finish.
Geometry and Zone fixes:
The no deploy zone at Veridad Pass has been realigned and fixed.
An entrance to the geometry under Veridad Pass has been closed off.
An invalid restricted area near Grey Heron Shipping on Esamir has been removed.
Bastions should no longer be able to clip into the mountains on Amerish.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So in previous years you could get the +50% XP hat doing the event. The last 2-3 years you had to buy it with DBC. This year there's a new hat (Holiday Beanie) that's available from the first tier of the event rewards with +50% XP again. So that's a big improvement, it always felt crappy they'd have a holiday hat with no XP bonus and paywall the XP bonus one but only after giving it away for free previously.

As for the event itself, most of my characters logged in to find a couple of the directives completed already but I haven't sat down to play any yet beyond just changing everyone's hats. The Master tier requires 5 completed objectives to get the flash freeze skin, so some will be easier than others.

And a crappy collage of the specific directives:

The glowing gift boxes are up in Sanctuary as well, you can get like one a day for 25 A7 or some ISO or certs (I forget how much of each).

edit: added the Expert tier screenshot, second edit added the Master tier. Requirements aren't bad this year especially since a few objectives are cumulative between levels.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The launcher has notice of a new public test server build going up tomorrow with Esamir changes, specifically to the capture the conduit bases they hope to go in as the January patch. I'm all for it if it improves things with that base style. Also it'll be nice to have the amp station revert to a normal cap, that place sucks as a capture base.

https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/dec-14-pts-notes-2023