Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

KDR check. Mine is 6.9420. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

wow it's nearly as been as long between the release of planetside 2 and the present as it was between planetside 2 and planetside

Time for Planeside 3 then?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

LeninVS posted:

im sitting on 7000 certs and a boatload of currencies.
do the NC have any dumb OP stuff these days?

where can I read about the "meta" loadouts and whatnot

For the NC:

Anchor - LMG for the Heavy Assault. Slap a foregrip on it, 1X red dot and you're good. Add Softpoint Ammo later when you can for increased effectiveness.
NS-15 - LMG for Heavy Assault, usable on all factions. Every nerd should have at least one NS-15. Insanely accurate, easily controllable. Add a foregrip and soft point ammo. Gold, platinum and AE variants increase your swag by 420%.
Reaper DMR - Assault Rife for the Medic. 200 dmg gun that, likewise, you can slap a foregrip and a 1X Red Dot onto it and own nerds forever.
Tross - Assault Rifle for the Medic. A better version of the Reaper DMR with a larger magazine, lower rate of fire.
Whatever the standard Gauss Rifle is called - Assault Rifle for the Medic. It's really good, easily controllable especially after adding a foregrip to it. Can't go wrong.
Carnage - Assault Rifle for the Medic. High rate of fire, perfect for CQC. You can either slap a lazer sight for tighter cone of fire or a foregrip if you're still using it to ADS nerds in CQC.

And so on and so forth. Basically every NC gun is good, including their starters. You almost can't go wrong. But if you have a specific class you want to play, let us know and if I haven't already recommended the best guns for that class I'm sure someone else will.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

I looooove death!

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Black and Red belongs to the CNT. Just another thing the Right have stolen from the Left. :colbert:

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

So the change that makes Koltyr the open continent if there's under 350 people on the server is a mixed blessing. On the one hand you'll only see that from like 4am until (I'm guessing) noon, but that is a long rear end time when there's only grinding on Koltyr to do. Koltyr also doesn't support a lot of the in game missions. That said, the fighting this morning was really intense and pretty good. The main issues with Koltyr are the lack of defenses for sunderers. At first we got folks to calm down and leave them alone for some good fights but as more people logged in there were a lot of battle busses showing up and just rampant sundy killing. It's not a huge deal though, the place is small so if you kill all of the fights there'll be a new one starting soon.

I'm hoping there will be a revision of Koltyr to do something about the downsides of it but given how slow the dev team is it could be a ways off. Even something like after three or four Koltyr alerts (which give no rewards, there's just a 25% XP bonus while they're active) moving to a restricted normal continent so you're not on Koltyr only for so many hours would be a good change and let things change up. It could of course also use some way to have more protected spawns near the bases, even something as simple as decent garages for the sunderers. Anyway it's nice to see they're doing something new.

The main detractor this morning was some TR chud going full mask off after I replied to someone asking "VS why do you have to be so gay" with "being gay is cool". This guy decided he's going to be banned so he (and I assume a friend or alt) spent an hour or so saying gay people should be put in jail, trans people should hang themselves, jews are a big problem, on and on. So uh, that was kind of a downer. I mean I know TR is somehow still a real bastion of neo nazis since the enclave was in there but it's sad to see it continues to be so. It's one thing to know that they're out there, it's another to see them really letting loose with the hate in chat.

Anyway, Skyblazer and 2fat were on and probably saw that dude melting down too. I sent in some screenshots to toxic@planetside2.com but I can only hope it will help.

TR never changes.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

It seems like they're still working on Oshur but that doesn't mean they can't just beta test it on live on Wednesday:
https://twitter.com/planetside2/status/1485757593628798976

Looking forward to this shitshow.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Routers needed a nerf but now they're worthless. Just another spawn tube for a sandcastle.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

What would be neat is if they fixed a lot of bugs and balance issues with the game first. Especially now since they've already released a new continent.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

So many G15 errors yesterday. :soe:

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Can't wait for them to break the server just before Double XP Weekends begin and not fix it until Monday.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Devs are talking about an upcoming update with a BOAT! Also more underwater content and improved underwater combat. I'm still uninterested until they fix my loadouts getting broken every time I log in or change continent. Boat looks cool, though.
https://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-letter-surf-and-storm

Mustarde kill montage set to "I'm On A Boat" when?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

I haven't been able to log in since the update. It freezes on the first load screen each time. :soe:

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

TR are definitely, once again, getting the best out of the deal.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Oh, they apparently hotfixed that server crash bug today after they got back into the office.

Classic.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

32K according to fisu:
https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=rexxed&show=statistics

Last few years I've mainly been playing on my NSO but he's on VS now, too. 48k there but I just hit ASP 3 BR 100 so I'm trying to play NC and VS characters a bit more since they're ASP 2 BR 93 or 94.
https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=wrackwither&show=statistics

As you can see, I'm not that great but I'm always trying to do better. It's hard to move the KDR up when you've got that many kills and deaths already so I don't worry about it too much. Above 1.0 seems to be above average for this game and I'm too old to be a high KDR guy. I'm also not as choosy as they are about fights, I try to play objectives and also do my missions which often hurts your overall KDR. I took a lot of time off in 2021-2022 but they got me back in with the Halloween event in 2022. Even when I'm not playing much I still tend to log in and cycle through my guys every day for the passive membership certs and sometimes do an easy mission or two. Dailies are insidious and I'm definitely the kind of person they keep busy in all kinds of games.

https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=hajj&show=statistics

lord help me

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I changed out my R7-5800X CPU for the R7-5800X3D yesterday and Planetside likes the upgrade. It's difficult to put hard numbers up because the game has no built-in benchmark but I'm always capped at 163 FPS when there's nothing going on and I didn't see anything dip down below around 90 FPS last night. I set the frame limit in the client to be 2 FPS below my freesync monitor's max refresh which is what is suggested for best performance. In game this shows the FPS sitting at 162-163 and labeling the limit as (CPU). When my performance dropped it was largely attributed to GPU in the in-game FPS meter and involved smoke and explosions (hit alt-f for the in game fps counter). The 5800X wasn't that much worse but I had been noticing less FPS when nothing was going on (especially around construction areas since Fortification went live) and some dips attributed to the CPU. Normally it'd be a waste to upgrade a perfectly good CPU for a slightly better one, but when the 3d cache works it really works, and I can use the 5800X in my old PC with a 1700X I'm still using as a secondary computer. Heck the 1700X might go to my dad since he's still on haswell.

Anyway, if you are building a new PC these days and want to consider PS2 for performance, you can either go with an intel i5-13600K or higher, or the R7-5800X3D or R7-7800X3D. I wouldn't get anything lower end from AMD since the 3D cache helps a lot in this and a lot of other titles, and the Intel alternative is just raw clock speed and high single core performance. There's been a few benchmarks on reddit from a guy who runs one of each type of system side by side (afaik he puts two characters next to each other watching the same big fights) and while the Ryzen performed a bit better than the 13600K it was close. I think the main advantage to AMD is that it doesn't use as much power and produce as much heat, although neither company's CPUs are running that cool these days.

My jump from an 8700K to a 5950X along with RAM with tighter timings made quite a huge difference for me as well. Initially upgraded from a 1070 to a 6800 XT while still on the 8700K and while that definitely posted a noticeable improvement, the CPU and memory is what got me over the edge. I rarely see dips below 90 FPS in big clusterfuck fights now, too. It has to be a real hellzerg with tons of construction nearby to even drop below 60. I'm playing on ultra settings, as well. Shadows too.

Baron of Bad News fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 8, 2023

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rexxed posted:

So you guys have heard of R18. Big VS outfit, there was a bunch of leaks of their discord showing them being really racist and saying pedo stuff. Generally bad people. Originally a bunch of folks left and made a new outfit (END1 or something) and R18 vanished but then it came back. So last night they led a push (helped along by a hacker who just happened to be flying around in a max on VS) all the way to the NC warpgate on Indar. I was on NC and with no territory the main thing to do was pull a Vanguard and blast whoever. So after a while of that we were recapping Capper Ravine and I saw them running south from Old Auraxium Mines. I had to pull back and repair but when I was done they let me hear some recursion voice pack lines I don't think I've heard before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlrDciY4ygA

You should use the Marxo voicepack.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Dunking on FedEx's vehicle blobs is a community service. I miss being able to do that with a single Vanguard since they nerfed the shield and flushed the resistances down the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Lima posted:

If you prefer to be up close then
The 7F is the highest dps cqc lead vomiter.
The Bandit is also good in cqc ("merely" as good as the Cyclone) and it has the 0.75 ads movespeed perk
If you find yourself ads'ing often then you probably want the Bandit, otherwise 7F.

If you like the drifter jets then the Tanto can be fun but it's gimmicky.

For general/medium range usage the Charger, Merc and Razor are all very good. The Razor in particular is so stable that you can put a 3.4 scope on it if you really want.

Never used the X11, Rogue or Compact.

The AC-X11 is a 200 damage monster. If you can reliably get headshots you're going to win most encounters. Even against hip-firing SMGs and other high RoF carbines. You won't win them all. Compact was only good because of the UBGL back in the day and that's been so nerfed into the dirt it's basically made that gun irrelevant.