Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Emphasis mine. This is gold.

quote:

With the Anniversary Update, we'd like to shift the Bastion Fleet Carrier's role from the one-person point-and-click farming chariot it eventually became, to one that heavily influences the map meta and encourages teamwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I never bothered using any of the bastions from my one man outfit(s), but they sucked to fight under. Having them affect capture timers seems a lot more tactical and interesting, even if it will have the most power towards the end of an alert. Seems like a good idea to me. It kind of builds on them addressing some of the most unfair feeling stuff in the game, like routers which only work 400m from the router spire now.

It may make for interesting tactical choices about when to deploy the Bastion. Do you deploy it early and use it for lots of timers, or at the end to move timers someplace unexpected?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

cmdrk posted:

I really wish the Bastion was more like an air carrier from Battlefield 2142 (the one from 2006), where you could assault it directly with footies and try to blow up its reactor.

I loved that game.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Do Directives currently do anything other than put a number on your character screen? Also, how exactly are cert points created? Do you get a certain number of cert points per ribbon, or per xp or something?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

They really hate Vanu, don't they? (Seriously? Vanu gets something to run away faster. Every other faction gets a straight buff to their ability to absorb damage.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone know if Pale Riders are an okay outfit? They seem to be online a lot and run public platoons regularly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

A couple of them are really good but most are a change or side grade over an existing NS or NSX weapon. I have everything on a couple of characters but I tried to do the A7 missions every day for a year or two. Since they add them so slowly I'm capped at 5k A7 and now the red missions just give extra experience. I love the Kuwa and the Kappa, the Kuwa is like a Yumi but instead of a charge up 3 shot burst it's a wind up full auto which seems to have higher DPS than many other guns. Also it can be used by Heavy, Medic, or Engineer since while it counts as assault rifle kills for missions like Gun game, it's labelled as a hybrid weapon. It can use an underbarrel grenade launcher, which isn't that novel now but used to be more restricted. It's one of the only main weapons a heavy assault can use that has one, though.

The Kappa is like the Tengu, but shoots faster with a couple less pellets. It's one of the better SMGs in the game, although each faction has one or two good ones.

The Viscount is a silenced shotgun based on the Baron. It's pretty good and the comfort grip handle for faster weapon swap times makes it a good secondary weapon for engineers (it's an ASP point thing).

SPRK-33's Stomper is an anti-vehicle heavy weapon. It looks like a thumper (and it is based on it) but it does 200 damage against armor and has 6 rounds. It's not great if you're using it as a primary weapon but with ASP points you can use a heavy weapon as a secondary weapon on a heavy assault, and it can be really good for that. For heavy weapons each faction gets one (plus cosmetic variants), then there's the thumper (and cosmetic variants), and now also the Stomper.

Most of the other ones are alright, I don't think any of them stand out quite as well but only the Yawara pistol has been super disappointing and I barely use it.

ASP, by the way, is the planetside prestige system, like new game+. Originally the game let you get up to BR100 and that was it. Then they tacked on 100-120 but the only thing you get for that grind is a title not many people have. The reason for that is that once you hit BR100 you can go into ASP (which was added after 120 but only requires BR100 to enter plus some certs or membership), or advanced specialization (points? program? I forget). Anyway, ASP resets your BR to 1 but you get an ASP point at 1, 25, 50, 75, and 100. They've since added ASP 2 and 3 so you can basically do the grind four times and get a bunch of cool abilities for it. I'm at ASP3 BR99 on my NSO and I've got all the cool ones like heavy assault heavy weapon secondary, engineer LMG main and shotgun secondary, engineer assault rifle main (I play engi a lot), light assault SMG secondary, Medic scout rifle secondary, infiltrator sticky grenades, pistol main hand, 20% cheaper tanks and planes, etc. It's a good system and there's some definite standouts like being able to do more interesting loadouts with the weapon slot variations.

Daily missions aren't a bad way to get some points but there's a lot of them you can ignore like Transport Pilot or Elite Squad leader (unless you want to run squads or platoons). The best ones tend to be the class specific ones and the ones that are pretty fast. There's also some that can be deceptive, like Message Courier is a five minute mission unless it randomly picks bases that take you all the way across the continent through enemy territory. It's a good way to learn how to drive a Harasser, though. Cortium Run can be that way, too since it requires you deliver to a silo in contested territory now.

There's also a few things you can do to make some missions easier. If I get the NSX Weapon Eval for the Masamune launcher (requires 5 vehicle kills) I fly to a base in enemy territory that has base turrets and kill them. You won't have enough rockets to kill 5 full turrets but you can damage them with the secondary crossbow with explosive bolts (usually 6 shots from the crossbow, then 3 with the launcher), or a vehicle damaging knife (punch the turret 28-29 times then masamune), or the Kuwa grenade launcher. You can also bring an ammo printer implant and the munition pouch suit slot for extra rockets. The reason this works is that base turrets are basically unoccupied vehicles and count as kills for a lot of missions. You can do some of the steps in Gun Game this way if you want but it's usually easier just to kill people. None of the other NSX weapon evals really have shortcuts like this.

Skyfire is also pretty easy because it says to do 6k damage to enemy planes in an ESF but you can shoot almost anything, even unoccupied base turrets or enemy construction bases (even the skyshield seems to count).

For the A7 missions, bounty hunter is straight forward but not always easy to finish unless you find people with bounties to kill. The NSX weapon evaluations are also straight forward except for the Masamune one I posted about. Concealed Chaos is pretty easy since you can get a stalker cloak and a motion detector and just get XP that way to finish it. Even standing next to a cloaked sundy as an engineer with an ammo pack down having people resupply on it will get you cloaked experience ticks. Clandestine Operative has a number of things you can do for points, like destroying enemy terminals, turrets (3 unoccupied base turrets finishes the mission), or even starting and finishing turn overs on base generators.

The last couple tips are weird and not that handy but sometimes useful for events. In the Front Line Spawns mission the goal is to get people to spawn on your sunderer at a base that's being attacked. Seems easy enough but it's not uncommon to have issues putting your sunderer down and have people pick it over other people's sunderers, or it keeps getting blown up. You can actually put the sunderer anywhere on the continent, but only you have to be in contested bases for the spawns to count for the mission. So you'd need friends to chain spawn on your sunderer and redeploy or pick a good spot that's not contested for it to work, and that's not that simple, but it just goes to show how the mission is coded. It's more about where you are while you get the credit for the spawns than doing exactly what it says to do. The sunderer thing has been a requirement in a few of their big event directives in the past, so it could be relevant again at some point. Often the last tier of those events takes like 200 spawns or something so it can be helpful to work around that.

Quoting for posterity. This is a good post.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Remind me : how many kills to Aurax a weapon?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

It's 1160. If you look at the weapon stats it's usually different than what the directive says by a few kills. I'm not sure why there's almost always a desync but the directive seems to be the one that matters. Generally it's within 10-20 at least so it's not a huge deal.

:negative: I switch weapons too often...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I started the new tutorial, got my Cortium, made the node pop, drove forward, and another player's node appeared insta-killing my ANT. After that I redid that part of the new tutorial, this time avoiding the insta-death Cortium node appearances, drove for kilometers and kilometers looking for any space to put up my own Cortium Silo, and finally got killed by an NC Lightning just as I found an opening.

The whole map is covered with Cortium Siloes right now. It's kind of funny.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed, I almost hate to ask, but...how many total kills do you have? Just on your VS main?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

drat. My accuracy is around 15%, or half of Rexxed's. I wonder how I can improve that over time. Probably I should just stop panic shooting as much.

Does anyone know how long this Event Directive lasts? I'm at Tier 3 but don't have that much time to play.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Harassers just have too many hit points, imo.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

fwiw, I am a bad player and still manage to get a lot of anti-air kills as a Heavy using the Annihilator. Valkyrie kills are rare since for some reason they have more hits than MBTs, but I can often drive off 1-2 ESFs by myself even if no one else is shooting at them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Annihilators seem to really shine when you get 3-4 people using them to volley fire. I have a 15% accuracy rate with most small arms, but 75% with the Annihilator. It's also a fairly fast-firing rocket launcher, so if a squad has a cluster of missiles going out every 5-6 seconds you can churn through hostile aircraft pretty quickly.

Except for Liberators. Because Liberators can fly so high they most sit outside of range unless you're directly underneath them, and they have more hitpoints than main battle tanks. Everyone complains about ESFs but I feel like I can do something about them. The only counter to Liberators seems to be ESFs.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

... if you're using it on light assault you'll be moving around a lot and carbines get the bloom reduction on light assault while flying, but SMGs and shotguns do not.

:stare: Why is this not documented somewhere. Are there other class-specific tidbits like this?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Living on the Edge plus Carapace?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for posting these, btw.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

What do you mean "analog throttle bind"? Any chance you can share a screenshot of your controls? I assume you're using mouse and keyboard?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Overcharge might be useful in storming hallways.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is a solo outfit a decent way to get xp?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I've finished the event directive on three characters now and for all three the mystery implant reward was one of the new implants but the green variety, none of the exceptional ones. So that's 25 ISO-4! Pretty terrible returns but maybe I'll get lucky on another character, I'm on the last step on VS and TR. The mini alert max events provide better than 25 ISO-4 even if your team doesn't win.

That's...pretty awful.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Do I get anything for increasing my directive score? Actual rewards seem to be mostly behind level 4 (I just started the slow grind towards Exceptional to get Black Camo).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. I'm basically working on getting BR100 for my first time, getting the VR LMG Betelgeuse, and getting the black camo.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

How do you unlock a Cortium Silo so that anyone can use it?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. Is there anyway to unreserve when it's less than 20,000? Also, how close do things have to be to the cortium silo to not degrade? I had a beautifully positioned barracks but apparently a few hundred meters was too far.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Oh, that's what that yellow circle was! Thanks!

Also, how do you get a Router to place down?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

How do you get others into your squad? They don't seem to be discoverable until you have squad leader rank, which you can't get without people in your squad.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the detailed response!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

There's a short maintenance on Emerald and Jaeger tomorrow for unspecified reasons.
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/emerald-and-jaeger-maintenance-9-20-23.261769/

Maybe they're finally upgrading from a 486 33mhz to a DX2 66mhz!

Might as well call it Planetside 3 if they do! In all seriousness, it's kind of impressive how many players they have doing things at the same time given how old the game is and what old hardware it must be running on. There's some posts on DeviantArt on what reworks of Planetside could look like, and it just makes me want Planetside 3 to be real...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

:stare: I had no idea there were keyboard shortcuts. Thanks!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Rexxed posted:

The developers finally released a letter on current dev priorities. It seems like they have some new people on the team and are focusing on capture the conduit which kind of sucks right now. There's a post on what they plan to do with it which sounds better, basically capturing the conduit will turn it into a normal capture point you hold for the timer. They're going to change some bases for more protected sunderer spots, too. I know their example is Advari Barracks and yeah, that one kind of blows.

https://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-letter-nov-2023

Anniversary bundles will be out in a week or so!

I like the push-pull of capture points opening up other capture points, kind of like an intra-base lattice. Having that in addition to "capture all points simultaneously" would be a good mix.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I was online earlier and things were busy. Game is still fun.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Has anyone else being getting G15 errors in the past 24 hours? I have not been able to connect at all.

https://www.planetside2.com/game-error?code=G15

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

They also posted a dev update, though I wasn't clear on when the Sunderer changes would be going in other than "some time in 2024."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I like the conduit changes. In the old system, I could never figure out where to take the flag. It was super confusing for casuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

DNS should propogate within 60 minutes unless they're doing something very odd.