Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Hey I just wanted to say I found this randomly, read from the beginning, and liked it a lot. Great work and good luck to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Cantorsdust posted:

Hey I just wanted to say I found this randomly, read from the beginning, and liked it a lot. Great work and good luck to you.

Thank you so much I'm ecstatic that you like it!

Say good bye to this style, it nearly killed the comic because I just didn't want to draw the panels anymore, it's also why there's no background in 4. I learned that I get really bored and annoyed if I spend more then an hour rendering a panel :(

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 2, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Great work as usual! I had a thought to share about the action, just an amateur hobbyist opinion so take it as you will.

The punch in the first panel feels pretty stiff. Lydia's standing straight up and down and it feels like she's swinging only as far as her arm can reach from her torso. It doesn't feel like she's committed to the punch or really trying to hit her target. Her punch is whiffing through a space that he doesn't seem to have even been occupying. Generally, the lines of action are a bit weak:

I'd suggest having he punch sweep through more space, have her lean into the punch a lot more, widen her stance, really throw her full weight behind it, and have the punch arc visibly going through a spot that the target was just in a moment ago. Something a bit more like this:

I'd suggest looking for examples of intense fights--boxing matches, MMA, things where people are really trying to hit their opponent. Pro wrestling is also an excellent reference because they're always trying to really sell the hits, leading to a certain exaggeration of action and posing that you don't get to see in other arenas. Here's a couple examples of people really trying to hit their opponent and getting dodged to give an idea:

Panels 2 and 3 on the other hand are really good in this regard. There's a good sense of motion and impending action (the punch about to be thrown), there's energy in panel 2 like a stretched rubber band about to snap. Panel 3's payoff is very good too, because you can feel the follow-through of the hit promised in 2, even though it also whiffs through. Because they're visibly intersecting even the whiff has an impact.

There might be really minor things I'd tweak in 2 and 3 if I were the artist (e.g. maybe I'd have her left hand also reeling back in panel 2) but those are just creative details, as far as getting the intended action across they're very good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Also, if you want to go really extreme, just play around with the poses and don't feel too restricted by silly things like "biology." you're the artist, you're god. If you're trying to depict a strong enough emotion you can do all kinds of poo poo with your characters because the most important thing is how the panel feels. I recently posted one of my favorite examples of this in the pyf thread, this ridiculous panel of Jonathan, who is so overcome with raw fury that it's contorted his entire body into a gigantic tornado uppercut he's going to deliver right to Dio's jaw:

Could anyone do anything like that irl? No. Does it matter? Also no, like pro wrestling lol. The important thing is you can feel the power and fury he's putting behind the hit, and you want to see what happens when it lands. His body is splayed out, and subconsciously that carries weight and power, because our animal brains automatically interpret "taking up more space" as "stronger and more powerful"

Anyway I'm kinda rambling now but I hope I helped!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That man is rending his own rear end in twain, im not sure we should be promoting this kind of content.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
rear end cheeks in different zip codes, torso coming out of his crotch, dio really got that guy hosed up

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've been reading the jojo in the webcomics thread and trying to incorporate more of that hot buff dude action.

Also very helpful, I'll try to be better about that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh what part are they posting in the webcomics thread?

And yeah don't be afraid to try stretching or exaggerating or really leaning in to poses, especially as the characters' feelings about the situation get stronger.

Keep it up! <3

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 3, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Cheesecake / Fanservice warning

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Action panels have been looking great! Also lol at Lydia's subconscious being laid bare for a moment

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Action panels have been looking great! Also lol at Lydia's subconscious being laid bare for a moment

Just for a split moment I can't decide if Lydia, Casey, or Thames is a self insert, which probably means a lot of bad things about my id or if any of them are. I can see parts of my personality in all of my characters lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

Just for a split moment I can't decide if Lydia, Casey, or Thames is a self insert, which probably means a lot of bad things about my id or if any of them are. I can see parts of my personality in all of my characters lol
This is true of all good writers :) Who knows what it says about your id but if it makes for a good story then great!

Love Lydia dodging the laser in this latest update

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Breaking the panel definitely was inspired by the mirror break we just saw in the PYF comics thread, I just thought it would be nifty to throw shrapnel at all the other panels.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah i love stuff like that. When something in a comic is powerful or emotional enough to start breaking the barriers between comics and reader it can be awesome

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

If a girl reacts to something you just said, the way Casey reacted to Lydia's callousness, know you've hosed up immensely.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 7, 2022

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

If a girl reacts to something you just said, the way Casey reacted to Lydia's callousness, know you've hosed up immensely.

I'm equally convinced they're all self inserts now.
And I'm loving this so goddamn much!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Casey can't read the wings because It's a Captcha daemon, and robots can't solve Captchas

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I really like writing, but Casey’s journal entries are not necessary to get the story, think of them as gaiden stuff that might not make it into the whole picture. I want to finish this in the next 2 or 3 years, so slice of life is pushed to text. This marks the end of Episode 5.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 9, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
before I took a nap I was terrified that I was skewering lydia's character, but nah I think I've been pretty clear and open this is who she is. I don't think I'll ever stop drawing kink queers though, and that's a good thing.

E:

Lydia: This is a terrible idea I'd never do this in a million years
Also Lydia: haha, pretty girls go brrrr.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I hosed up my wrist, because I was drawing for 8+hours a day, every day, with no rests or breaks, As of this post, I had done 87 pages in 120 days, releasing a comic every day for 1.4 days. I'm a posting machine baby! But also, I've now ground my wrist to dust and must stop. To make sure you all know I still love you, and that I'm still here, I'm going to be doing community spotlight stuff showing off fan art from the mailbox, discord, and twitter, if you want that to be you, well then... Message me! @pearl_boba fanmail@bobapearlessence.com Discord! Tiktok! Get in touch, I'm bored and in pain.

This one comes from SharpestCrayon, on Discord.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 17, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hope you heal up quick, and that you figure out a good work tempo for when you get back to it!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It’s been 2 days, so let’s do another round up of fan art and fan mail!

I don’t know how to handle fanmail! I asked the person and I’m posting it with the e-mail removed as requested, especially since like, I don’t want to blow up someone’s g-mail! That said, let me know if you want me to use your fanmail in the fanmail round ups!

(fanmail@bobapearlessence.com)

50 – 18 is 32, but there’d be 49 other ones. Which yeah, are all slimes, but not all 50 necessarily made it into the far flung future techno-neolithic apocalypse! In the bad old days, they’d be whatever gender they were bought for, but anyone who survived to the comic’s present day, would present as whatever gender they wanted, or no gender at all! It’s a social construct, they exist outside of it.

====

Next up comes from one of my favorite forum posters, CrocodileKingSaysNO on the somethingawful forums.

First fanart comes from a user on twitter.

Please keep this stuff rolling in, I love all of it, and your outpouring of love and support is helping me get through this lovely time. I didn’t realize how many fans there were out there until I really needed the love from them <3

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 17, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I want to draw, and I'm extremely cranky about it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

I want to draw, and I'm extremely cranky about it.

This is the title to a children's book version of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
blanking

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 19, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I need beta readers, but also trying to build a community so https://discord.gg/8x7EArvXU2 Join my discord? I guess??

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

I will kill for cirrus.

Loving this bizarre trip

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is not necessarily a happy story, and Lydia may not necessarily be a good person. You will have to be the judge. We are about 1/5 through the story.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

This is not necessarily a happy story, and Lydia may not necessarily be a good person. You will have to be the judge. We are about 1/5 through the story.

> Continue to gently caress it All Up!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Today's update is honestly best viewed on the website, it has 0 ads in case you're thinking I'm sending you there for some sort of revenue. Some things just don't work well on forums. No sound / animation version hosted underneath the tiny one.
https://bobapearlessence.com/06-08-coke/

https://bobapearlessence.com/Steppe/u091.webm

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 30, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's rad as hell

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's rad as hell

Thank you, I rather enjoyed making it, the animation took less time then I thought it would, but if I did it again, I'd make it more apparent the blood is smearing across a table. Maybe add a ceiling?

Steppe Into The Ring

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The new thing I'm trying, to get better at art, is only drawing the comic in colors I can see. Ooooh, aaaaah.