Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1391738360666992648?s=09

A beautiful man, let us all hug and kiss him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I remember when United fans were having a meltdown on this forum about how the transfer window went so poorly that the club had to resort to signing Cavani

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I remember when United fans were having a meltdown on this forum about how the transfer window went so poorly that the club had to resort to signing Cavani

The Athletic did a survey of agents after the window closed. Their opinion was Cavani was the worst signing of the window, Man Utd had the worst transfer window and Ole was second most likely to be sacked first (after Scott Parker).

What a bunch of utter morons.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
To be fair, even anonymously, agents will grind their axes and push a narrative.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1391785339434545154?s=20

Bold it and bag it

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Vegetable posted:

i remember arguing with a couple people how cavani won't be another falcao and lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Cavani has been annoyingly good for United.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I remember thinking it was going to be a comedy disaster because its man United signing an aging striker on mega wages but looks like it actually worked this time

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I remember thinking it was going to be a comedy disaster because its man United signing an aging striker on mega wages but looks like it actually worked this time

Zlatan was pretty freaking good too tbf.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah I think Jose's reign started crumbling as soon as Zlatan's knee exploded

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

Cavani has been annoyingly good for United.

The one thing that's absolutely brilliant about him is his movement in and around the box and his ability to be in space at the right time

Strikers like Michael Owen and Fernando Torres died at 27 because their entire game heavily involved being able to run off the last man and also in having knees that bend the right way, but I can see someone like Cavani being able to go for quite a few years yet based on what i've seen from him

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The insane part with Cavani is that he's had several games where he's covered most yards on the pitch, his work rate is absurd

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

cavani has thrived under solskjærball, combining a strong sense of positioning with work rate and physicality of a sort that united sorely needed. martial can be smothered much more effectively than cavani and doesn't have cavani's nose for how to maneuver in the box - that latter also goes for rashford and to an extent greenwood, though rashford has his sublime first touches and greenwood's quick and decisive enough to not really need it that much. martial on form is an excellent finisher, but when that doesn't manifest he doesn't seem to know what to do other than mill around and use his ball control to try and get a penalty

he's not that quik anymore, but they've got other quick players. he's not even that good a finisher, he just gets a ton of shots off because he's smart and big and strong. would be hilarious if the glazers ended up signing haaland next season off the muscle-striker model because he's actually a very different kind of player and would probably pulverise both his ankles trying to do what cavani does

with cavani, pogba and fernandes man.utd now have three players with excellent vision. it's a legitimately intimidating first XI imo, with the issue being that rashford is made much less effective if you try to get the best out of pogba and lindeguire being rather immobile which means that they can't really do without fred bullying the opposition

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 10, 2021

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TheRat posted:

The Athletic did a survey of agents after the window closed. Their opinion was Cavani was the worst signing of the window, Man Utd had the worst transfer window and Ole was second most likely to be sacked first (after Scott Parker).

What a bunch of utter morons.
Its easy to mock that stuff in hindsight. Its not exactly a controversial position to take that an ageing striker might not thrive in the PL but credit to him, Cavani managed it. Plus its United, so you expect stupid signings anyway. A year ago they were willing to pay £25m for Josh King.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Man Utd's regulars have played almost 3x as many minutes as him this season so it's not that surprising he's been able to put in a shift when selected.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sassassin posted:

Man Utd's regulars have played almost 3x as many minutes as him this season so it's not that surprising he's been able to put in a shift when selected.

To be fair to him he had been out of favour for 7 months when he left psg, signed late (after the tottenham defeat) and had to quarantine for 2 weeks when he arrived and then got a 3 match ban for speaking spanish. After newyears he's played a lot more, and has really shown how good he is.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

TheRat posted:

To be fair to him he had been out of favour for 7 months when he left psg, signed late (after the tottenham defeat) and had to quarantine for 2 weeks when he arrived and then got a 3 match ban for speaking spanish. After newyears he's played a lot more, and has really shown how good he is.

:stare:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That was the FA's own conclusion. They found that:

- Cavani is not racist
- What Cavani said was not racist

however

- Someone who doesn't speak spanish or understand south american culture and lanaguage might misunderstand what was said to be racist, therefor he must be banned.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I was a massive Cavani skeptic as well, given that he had the hallmarks of a Woodward special: deadline day panic buy after a heavy defeat, aging striker with spotty injury record, no proven record in England, enormous wages, and the cursed #7 shirt. Especially after Ole and the club saying for several years that youth was the new focus, and that signing galacticos like Falcao/di Maria/Sanchez clearly didn't work.

But Cavani has definitely proved everyone wrong, and our attack is way better for it - we've actually been capable of scoring goals that aren't fast counter-attacks or soft penalties.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I didn't think Cavani was that great a finisher when he was at PSG but he seems to be exactly what United needed somehow

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

webmeister posted:

I was a massive Cavani skeptic as well, given that he had the hallmarks of a Woodward special: deadline day panic buy after a heavy defeat, aging striker with spotty injury record, no proven record in England, enormous wages, and the cursed #7 shirt. Especially after Ole and the club saying for several years that youth was the new focus, and that signing galacticos like Falcao/di Maria/Sanchez clearly didn't work.

But Cavani has definitely proved everyone wrong, and our attack is way better for it - we've actually been capable of scoring goals that aren't fast counter-attacks or soft penalties.

yeah i remember pointing out this was just a repeated thing, like the comparison with falcao if you looked at the severity of the injuries it was nothing like him and it showed

but i do get how you'd expect it to be a bigger thing considering how much cavani runs around, you'd expect him to be more run down at this point in his career, similar to what happened with sanchez

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

on a completely unrelated note, just had mnf clip playing while i was posting that and caught them talking about united buying a striker vs going with cavani/greenwood

am i the only one who has a pet peeve of when people say "a haaland, a kane"

just say their names, there isn't more than one like them out there, so there's no need to say someone like a kane

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

TheRat posted:

- Someone who doesn't speak spanish or understand south american culture and lanaguage might misunderstand what was said to be racist, therefor he must be banned.

agreed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Frankston posted:

But I primarily made this thread because I wanted to chat about Dalian Atkinson who was murdered by PC Benjamin Monk, who it was found out in court today tasered Atkinson for 33 seconds, and then kicked him twice in the head so hard his laces left imprints. loving oval office.

totally normal place to rest a foot

https://twitter.com/birmingham_live/status/1392088775594020865?s=20

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

I didn't think Cavani was that great a finisher when he was at PSG but he seems to be exactly what United needed somehow

He's incredibly good at finding pockets of space in the box which is something United was sorely lacking.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

on a completely unrelated note, just had mnf clip playing while i was posting that and caught them talking about united buying a striker vs going with cavani/greenwood

just say their names, there isn't more than one like them out there, so there's no need to say someone like a kane

But then no one would call them out on their bullshit and say "Haaland is going to a club that will pay him more and is more likely to win major European trophies."

Commentators just want to have their cake and eat it too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

Vinestalk posted:

But then no one would call them out on their bullshit and say "Haaland is going to a club that will pay him more and is more likely to win major European trophies."

Commentators just want to have their cake and eat it too.

They're saying "a Haaland" to specify the approximate class and type of player they're talking about without saying it needs to be Haaland himself. Instead of "a top, top forward" or something which is much more ambiguous and invites the question "like who?" with the answer "like a Haaland or a Kane." There's nothing weird about it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
No, it's weird, but it's just been happening for so long that it's normalized. Cause who else is in that same tier as Haaland? Who else is English and has the name recognition of Kane? They're providing commentary to make it seem like they know what they're talking about, but they watch so little football that they couldn't name someone that United could realistically bring in.

You know what would help Arsenal? They need a Messi or a Mbappe to score goals as well as a Van Dijk or a Thiago to stop the other team from scoring.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

lolling

V. Illych L. posted:

cavani has thrived under solskjærball, combining a strong sense of positioning with work rate and physicality of a sort that united sorely needed. martial can be smothered much more effectively than cavani and doesn't have cavani's nose for how to maneuver in the box - that latter also goes for rashford and to an extent greenwood, though rashford has his sublime first touches and greenwood's quick and decisive enough to not really need it that much. martial on form is an excellent finisher, but when that doesn't manifest he doesn't seem to know what to do other than mill around and use his ball control to try and get a penalty

he's not that quik anymore, but they've got other quick players. he's not even that good a finisher, he just gets a ton of shots off because he's smart and big and strong. would be hilarious if the glazers ended up signing haaland next season off the muscle-striker model because he's actually a very different kind of player and would probably pulverise both his ankles trying to do what cavani does

with cavani, pogba and fernandes man.utd now have three players with excellent vision. it's a legitimately intimidating first XI imo, with the issue being that rashford is made much less effective if you try to get the best out of pogba and lindeguire being rather immobile which means that they can't really do without fred bullying the opposition

nodding

TheRat posted:

That was the FA's own conclusion. They found that:

- Cavani is not racist
- What Cavani said was not racist

however

feels more racist to misunderstand spanish tbh

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Congrats City, at least it'll be a bit quicker to come and get end of next season :)

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
City are my negritos

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
For a good time, enjoy all the salt in the replies

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1392190669947539459

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Weaponized Cum posted:

City are my negritos

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:unsmith:

Well it'll be interesting to see what Pep does with 3 meaningless league fixtures when there's a European cup to focus on. I hope he goes fully bonkers and plays Ederson as a forward.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Literally dozens of fans have arrived at the Etihad to celebrate

https://twitter.com/MattCritchley1/status/1392204415256383488?s=19

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Thank u sonichu

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
What a wet fart of a season

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Literally dozens of fans have arrived at the Etihad to celebrate

https://twitter.com/MattCritchley1/status/1392204415256383488?s=19

Home crowd is somewhat early :xd:

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

dogshit season for clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Blinkz0rz posted:

In defence of this season, it has had some absolutely bonkers matches. Just a shame that it's kind of petered out. I guess there's a chance Liverpool could pip Leicester to a CL spot but that's about it.