Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Hey folks! This is a thread about Hard Wired Island, a retrofuture cyberpunk RPG I made with former goon Freyja.

Hard Wired Island is a retrofuture cyberpunk RPG. The PCs live in Grand Cross, an O'Neill cylinder orbiting Earth in an alternate 2020. Players try their best to survive, help people, and investigate corporate conspiracies while the station slides into crisis. It's inspired by 90s anime, especially stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop. (There's a little Policenauts there too.)

The original Kickstarter demo version is currently up on itch.io and DriveThruRPG as a preview. A print version is coming, but I'm still getting the details sorted out.

Additional Features
Hard Wired Island also has:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

This game is easily one of the best things I've ever kickstarted.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Congratulations, Paul or Freya maybe!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
literally heard about this game through a coworker from a different continent. it looks neat and i am looking forward for the print version!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Really looking forward to running a oneshot of this with TTRPG friends. The extensive lists of NPCs etc are gonna be a big help in overcoming my main DM prep hurdle.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Actually, androids in Hard Wired Island are an allegory for David Cage

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I really appreciate the subsystem design for sneaking, hacking, and social influence; the fact there exists mechanical concern for environment really helps these pop, I think, and they're nice lightweight systems on top of that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I didn't really have any good ideas during the call for freelancers during the kickstarter, but HWI is a game that makes me go "hmm I wonder if I could do some stuff for this?"

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Could someone buy back Freyja's account, or get the obviously misfired toxx lifted.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Really looking forward to running a oneshot of this with TTRPG friends. The extensive lists of NPCs etc are gonna be a big help in overcoming my main DM prep hurdle.

That would be great, because I need to justify the time I spent on them :negative:

StratGoatCom posted:

Could someone buy back Freyja's account, or get the obviously misfired toxx lifted.

IIRC Freyja has told me she could come back but chooses not to. That was before HWI and the leadership changes though so who knows :v:

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I ran a one-shot of this over the weekend. It went pretty smoothly. The session included a bit of every subsystem - socializing, sneaking, hacking, and fighting. Every roll the players made fit well into one of the moves and I appreciated the social system having as much depth as the others.

One issue that we ran into though was that I could not find a mechanic for characters helping each other. I ended up having one character make a set-up roll which, if successful, gave the next action Advantage. I'm not sure if I just missed the helping rules or if you had something else in mind.

If you ever update the character sheets it would be helpful to have a damage track.

Overall, it was lot of fun and we're going to start a short campaign with this system. I'm looking forward to seeing the character creation process.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I just watched dragonkid's video about this game and I am very intrigued but I have questions. Is hacking handled ala Cyberpunk/Shadowrun where the hacker can functionally be miles away in their lawnmower man suit and only tangentially part of the group or is their some setting concession that requires the hacker to hoof it with everyone else?
I really like the idea of social engineering and theft being fleshed out as more than binary one-and-done tasks but my concern is whether they wind up as basically a set of single-player mini-games that the best person in the group for that task does while everyone else watches. This is a common problem of systems that try to recreate heist tropes in their character archetypes. Does the system address this in some way or just sort of acknowledge it as a genre element and work around it instead? I know the idea is to deemphasize leaning on combat as the "default" activity but typically the case is that, regardless of skill-level, you're ALL being shot at so everyone has something to do, even if it's just self preservation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hackers can stay at home, but it limits what they can do. Basically, really secure systems will have airgapping that requires either the hacker be there or the rest of the party get a special one use ID card to plug into the air gapped central mainframe to let the hacker in.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I just watched dragonkid's video about this game and I am very intrigued but I have questions. Is hacking handled ala Cyberpunk/Shadowrun where the hacker can functionally be miles away in their lawnmower man suit and only tangentially part of the group or is their some setting concession that requires the hacker to hoof it with everyone else?
I really like the idea of social engineering and theft being fleshed out as more than binary one-and-done tasks but my concern is whether they wind up as basically a set of single-player mini-games that the best person in the group for that task does while everyone else watches. This is a common problem of systems that try to recreate heist tropes in their character archetypes. Does the system address this in some way or just sort of acknowledge it as a genre element and work around it instead? I know the idea is to deemphasize leaning on combat as the "default" activity but typically the case is that, regardless of skill-level, you're ALL being shot at so everyone has something to do, even if it's just self preservation.

Also to go off what Mors Rattus said, hacking in Hard Wired Island and just social schmoozing/deception basically share the same framework in terms of how they work, so it's not really "everyone playing a minigame" so much as "everyone is operating off the same basic sort of rules paradigm."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I would say, also, the default thing everyone does is the social stuff, not combat. It’s super viable for a team to have one dedicated combatant to take out or distract the physical threats until everyone else is safe.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Mors Rattus posted:

I would say, also, the default thing everyone does is the social stuff, not combat. It’s super viable for a team to have one dedicated combatant to take out or distract the physical threats until everyone else is safe.

That's an interesting way to structure it, I like the social focus.

I meant less about a bunch of different mechanics for each role and more like how sneaking often involves everyone just watching to see if the rogue sneaks successfully or not, and the fact that no one else is doing anything is alleviated by the fact that it's usually just the one Stealth check or whatever. If one, let's call it a Heist Pillar, can be completed by entirely by one player my worry is 3-4 other people that are now disengaged and doomscrolling or talking about Latest Marvel Show, etc.

Actually, I should just read the DTRPG preview rather than ask 20 questions and sound like I'm down on a game I haven't actually seen.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

That's an interesting way to structure it, I like the social focus.

I meant less about a bunch of different mechanics for each role and more like how sneaking often involves everyone just watching to see if the rogue sneaks successfully or not, and the fact that no one else is doing anything is alleviated by the fact that it's usually just the one Stealth check or whatever. If one, let's call it a Heist Pillar, can be completed by entirely by one player my worry is 3-4 other people that are now disengaged and doomscrolling or talking about Latest Marvel Show, etc.

Actually, I should just read the DTRPG preview rather than ask 20 questions and sound like I'm down on a game I haven't actually seen.

A single Stealth check from whoever in the party is best at it covers the entire group, so no, there's no "everybody else sits around and waits while the rogue sneaks."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Red Shoe posted:

One issue that we ran into though was that I could not find a mechanic for characters helping each other. I ended up having one character make a set-up roll which, if successful, gave the next action Advantage. I'm not sure if I just missed the helping rules or if you had something else in mind.

It's the latter! There's no general helping mechanic. Hacking has on in Social Engineering, and other than that there's specific Talents like Aid Another, Fixing the Odds, Helping Hand, Personal Trainer, Sync Up, Sponsored, etc.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Also to go off what Mors Rattus said, hacking in Hard Wired Island and just social schmoozing/deception basically share the same framework in terms of how they work, so it's not really "everyone playing a minigame" so much as "everyone is operating off the same basic sort of rules paradigm."

Why, that's so crazy it just might work!

Wait, did I say crazy? I meant simple.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m a little unclear on a couple of the social mechanics. If someone is Eg Bullshitting an NPC does the NPC roll a save vs the bullshit roll, or do they have a static defence score (7 + their clever stat?)?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’m a little unclear on a couple of the social mechanics. If someone is Eg Bullshitting an NPC does the NPC roll a save vs the bullshit roll, or do they have a static defence score (7 + their clever stat?)?

The latter.

page 33 posted:

...Each Action tells you to roll 2d6 + an Ability, against a difficulty set by the GM...

...If the Difficulty of an action is written as an Ability (e.g. “vs Cool”), use the opponent’s relevant Defense.

Bullshit, as an Action, is 2d6 + Cool vs. Clever, so you would do a single roll against the NPC's Clever Defense. The NPC can later try to roll a Clever save against your Bullshit roll to snap out of it.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 14, 2021

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

HerraS posted:

The latter.

Bullshit, as an Action, is 2d6 + Cool vs. Clever, so you would do a single roll against the NPC's Clever Defense. The NPC can later try to roll a Clever save against your Bullshit roll to snap out of it.

Thanks! I was a bit confused because the social examples on p.37 say things like “She rolls 9, and the defense roll is 13.”

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Roach Warehouse posted:

Thanks! I was a bit confused because the social examples on p.37 say things like “She rolls 9, and the defense roll is 13.”

Defense rolls aren't a thing and yeah there are some references to them but they're being/have been patched out to be fully consistent, so maybe check if the pdf you have is a slightly older version.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Thanks for the tip. Popped over to itch for a fresh copy and it’s all making sense now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just want to pop in to note this game is Real Good, and I've been cracking up my Shadowrun playing friends with the tables in the back alone.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Snagged this on itch. It's a cool and thoughtful premise, an interesting and engaging system, and I seriously dig the soundtrack. I'm really excited about this game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm excited as well. Upcoming game with my regular group, we haven't gotten everything worked out yet thanks to schedule conflicts but we've had fun ideas floating around.

On my front, though, a mechanics question. Yes, I know, optimizing PbtA games and all that. I'm looking at a Thief, and comparing a few options to one another with one coming up as a "why would I ever take this".

• Cat Burglar trait - advantage on the usual movement stuff that comes up in missions, since it's almost always to get around an obstacle of some sort. Extra bonus of the immediate Take Cover action, but not really relevant to the comparison. Takes a talent up, but no Burden increase and gives advantage on most of what Athletics would be getting used for in missions anyway.
  • Athletic Legs cyberware - advantage on every athletics action, flat. Huge deal! Costs Burden though, and from the character side can be harder to weave into background.
  • Parkour trait - gives Advantage on any action for movement... after a critical success for another movement action, and only if they're subsequent. This is REALLY limited in scope - how often are you making multiple movement actions in a row that call for separate dice rolls, and of that how many of them are going to have crit successes on the first one? The "7+ talents" bonus of a flat bonus to the second roll is nice, but does that really rescue it as useful?

I haven't quite had my optimizer brainworms come out yet but this immediately struck me as a talent that just does very little, in very limited circumstances, compared to its equally available counterparts and I'm trying to figure out the intended use case.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just wanted to drop in and say that Liam's piece "All his email's are like this" is the hardest I've ever laughed while reading an RPG.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I just wanted to drop in and say that Liam's piece "All his email's are like this" is the hardest I've ever laughed while reading an RPG.

Aw heck, thanks :shobon:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

I haven't quite had my optimizer brainworms come out yet but this immediately struck me as a talent that just does very little, in very limited circumstances, compared to its equally available counterparts and I'm trying to figure out the intended use case.

Parkour has a much broader trigger than Cat Burglar and is the only one that can reliably be used as part of an attack action (Athletic Legs explicitly excludes that, it's not flat). Parkour is designed as a multiplier for people who are already good at movement stuff (and thus more likely to roll criticals). It can be triggered at the same time as either of the others but it's not really designed for the same situations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ettin posted:

Parkour has a much broader trigger than Cat Burglar and is the only one that can reliably be used as part of an attack action (Athletic Legs explicitly excludes that, it's not flat). Parkour is designed as a multiplier for people who are already good at movement stuff (and thus more likely to roll criticals). It can be triggered at the same time as either of the others but it's not really designed for the same situations.

Gotcha. That's roughly the conclusion the folks I talked to had come to as well - the attack function alone explains some of the difficult trigger. Just seemed like a particularly narrow trigger condition for an earlier character to take.

I ended up switching over to a Fixer instead (and keeping the Legs) to fit the concept better, so it ended up moot - oh well! Session 0 tomorrow so I'll have the rest of the group soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there any good actual plays (ideally audio and not video) for HWI other than the Talent Agency one? That one doesn’t sound like it really engages with the space station elements, and that’s one of the parts that really appeals to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Which platform gives Ettin and co. more money? Once I know that I'm all in baby!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Which platform gives Ettin and co. more money? Once I know that I'm all in baby!

Then itch.io is the one you want.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, itch.io provides sellers with a much more generous cut while DTRPG takes more but has a somewhat easier time grabbing casual customers who are "window shopping" so to speak, and DTRPG's various tier listings based on total sales are also a help for generating additional exposure...but if you already know where to grab the game, itch is usually the preferred platform.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have obtained the game. It owns. My usual tabletop squad are curious if there are any premade adventures for it floating around?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Nessus posted:

My usual tabletop squad are curious if there are any premade adventures for it floating around?
Not having obtained it yet but loving the excerpts I've seen, is there any advice in the book for writing an adventure to fit its style/intentions?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

JMBosch posted:

Not having obtained it yet but loving the excerpts I've seen, is there any advice in the book for writing an adventure to fit its style/intentions?

Nessus posted:

I have obtained the game. It owns. My usual tabletop squad are curious if there are any premade adventures for it floating around?

There are two adventure outlines in the back of the book, but I believe that's all the premade adventures that currently exist (please correct me if I'm wrong). There's a fair bit of GMing advice but imo not the best GM section I've ever seen.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Today's discovery: Holy poo poo, Heavy Armor Frame might be a little busted. Our Street Fighter managed to get a Dreamer (!) in a "head"lock that it was impossible to break out of, because they couldn't do damage and couldn't even hit the "end grapple" target number. Fair warning to potential GMs.
In unrelated news, Street Fighter is rerolling to a Hacker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

So there's a post-launch update that touches on this among other things.

quote:

Future Plans

The Behind The Scenes PDF should be released in June. (Backers will get it first, as a treat, and we'll do a general release later.) After that, all we have to do is wait for the print copies to arrive and this KS will be wrapped up.

So, what happens after that? Well, surprise: I'm planning a smaller followup Kickstarter for some quickstart PDFs. Basically they'll be some scenarios like The Terabyte Boys at the back of the book, with sample PCs and maybe a few extras. The KS would cover art and writing, which isn't in the scope of our original budget.

Depending on interest and the final print timeline, I might post it while I wait for the print copies to ship out. At minimum this wouldn't happen until the Behind The Scenes PDF comes out and the printing/shipping process is underway, though (i.e. when there's nothing left for me to do but wait). I'll revisit that plan in a month or two.