Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Leraika posted:

I genuinely hope people from TM MN get to continue with taskmaster in some official capacity, because they deserve it

That'd be great, but there are only 5 or so people who work in any creative capacity on the main show. NZ has ten writers for some reason, but they're all infinitesimally small productions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Just recently the popular American streamer Ludwig did his take on Taskmaster with the serial numbers filed off, youtube keeps recommending me videos with millions of views about why Taskmaster is the best comedy show out there, etc. The format is very recognisable even among people who don't follow British comedy. If they don't have another go at a proper US version soon, I would be really surprised.

Not just Ludwig but paymoneywubby did one as well.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Our boys doing the talk show circuit. Interesting choice to put this much oomf in the U.S. over the debut of the next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJTS8KldvE&t=1s

My guess is the YouTube analytics showed way larger US numbers than they envisioned. This little trip may just be a way to see if those views can translate to TV/Live views or if it’s a fluke.

It’s mostly press they can still air in the UK on YouTube too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Not just Ludwig but paymoneywubby did one as well.

Huh, I didn't know about that one. Looking it up, seems like they actually directly copied tasks from the show, which I'm not sure is cool if you're going to make money off it. Although I'm sure Alex wouldn't actually mind.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Our boys doing the talk show circuit. Interesting choice to put this much oomf in the U.S. over the debut of the next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsJTS8KldvE&t=1s

I'm disappointed their walk-out music wasn't an live-band version of the TM theme

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
on the one hand, I'd love to see another Taskmaster US attempt, but on the other I have a weird feeling it'd just fail again

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Just treat it like TMAU, use the UK crew and set and just fly some americans over to england and do a show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’m fairly certain it’s been talked about in the past but I’m watching Stormester Season 1 for the first time and Julie getting 5 points for giving two zero effort fake sneezes and then lying to a child is making me extremely hesitant to watch more. There is no sanctity to points but having a contestant basically say “Eh don’t feel like trying the task” and then also not being funny seems like a very odd thing to…. Celebrate?

The tea bag “mug” eh whatever. But the sneeze… Also having the assistant just carry one of the exercise balls up the hill…. Not a big fan of Julie!

I'm finally watching this now and I 100% agree. I'm generally a big fan of cleverly misreading the tasks but she makes it obnoxious instead of funny.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

primaltrash posted:

on the one hand, I'd love to see another Taskmaster US attempt, but on the other I have a weird feeling it'd just fail again

The big lesson they seemed to learn off of it was to keep the formula way more consistent, so maybe not?

It's a shame they're probably too big a player to go with Dropout, which has a huge stable of LA improv people that would kill on the show. You have to imagine they'd pair up with FX and we'd have Seth Rogen, Colin Jost, and Martha Stewart on instead. Feel like it would succeed on a cable network, but the heart would probably be test-screened out of it.

It's borderline incredible some producer hasn't just made a rip-off show of it yet, ala' how Wipeout just yoinked Takeshi's Castle off of MXC's popularizing of it.

Having fun imagining what that would look like. "THE BOSS", with a BOSS and his personal assistant, sending jobs that four celebrities have to complete. They are then rewarded anywhere from $1 to $500 dollars depending on how well they did. At the end the winner gets to keep the money they earned and the losers get nothing. With Kevin O'Leary as the titular boss and David Cross as the personal assistant.

Oh who am I kidding, they'd get John Cena or Peyton Manning to be the boss for that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Japan should take to Taskmaster like fish to water. Not least because it's pretty much just Gaki no Tsukai.

Wednesday Downtown does a bunch of stuff that's sometimes crazier versions of what TM pulls so it wouldn't be out of place, but I think for them, they might change the format to rotate casts more and have shorter seasons just to maximize exposure of various Talent that they have.

There's a lot of variables in that all things considered

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oh who am I kidding, they'd get John Cena or Peyton Manning to be the boss for that.
I want to see John Cena as a contestant on a Taskmaster so loving bad. He's really proven himself in recent years to be fast and weird and he fully commits to everything.

Dammit, I didn't want an American Taskmaster Part Two but now I crave it just for this

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wungus posted:

I want to see John Cena as a contestant on a Taskmaster so loving bad. He's really proven himself in recent years to be fast and weird and he fully commits to everything.

Dammit, I didn't want an American Taskmaster Part Two but now I crave it just for this

Just ask him to be on any of the other english speaking shows, it's not like it's illegal

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Just ask him to be on any of the other english speaking shows, it's not like it's illegal
Fine, I will

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Wungus posted:

I want to see John Cena as a contestant on a Taskmaster so loving bad.

The thought had never occurred to me, but you're right - he'd be incredible.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Happy Taskmaster Day.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
At the risk of fanboying, you could probably get an all-timer episode of Taskmaster with 5 wrestlers (or former) if you got the right ones.

Cena, Evil Uno, Orange Cassidy, Statlander, and iunno, Asuka? Saraya? can't ever mention wrestling without fantasy booking.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

primaltrash posted:

At the risk of fanboying, you could probably get an all-timer episode of Taskmaster with 5 wrestlers (or former) if you got the right ones.

Cena, Evil Uno, Orange Cassidy, Statlander, and iunno, Asuka? Saraya? can't ever mention wrestling without fantasy booking.

Hmm, yes. And then all the tasks are about arts and crafts.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Here Starts S17 E1 chat....

https://twitter.com/taskmaster/status/1773455572433530958

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 28, 2024

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

primaltrash posted:

Somebody in a wrestling thread recently mentioned Will Ospreay

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alright, we’re off to a great start. I hope Nick comes across a bit stronger as the series goes on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Poor Sophie... I'm with her on the team task, it was too complicated.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"That's what happens when you–"

Amazing job Little Alex Horne.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Great episode but it bugged me that Greg didn't do a little closing speech at the end like he usually does.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Somebody in a wrestling thread recently mentioned Will Ospreay

https://x.com/THEdavidfinlay/status/1306082313848205313?s=20

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I guess "what have we learnt" must have been cut to accommodate all of the live task. Steve is more like Tim Vine than I was expecting, but I don't mind it...

Oh, and if Joanne had just bought in two copies of her prize and gone with "glug vases" with the American pronunciation it suddenly works a whole lot better.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 29, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has Nick always sounded like he does in the tasks or is he doing a voice

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is a new TM airing now??

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Is a new TM airing now??

Season 17 Episode 1 aired yesterday and is up online, next episode April 4th.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Heavy_D posted:

I guess "what have we learnt" must have been cut to accommodate all of the live task. Steve is more like Tim Vine than I was expecting, but I don't mind it...

The sadness in Steves' eyes as he realised what will lose him the series is the way he makes puns as naturally as he breathes, combined with Gregs' seething hatred of puns...

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sophie's 'what's your name and where are you from?' to Robins got me.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Good ep.

How is Joann older than Sophie? Sophie seems like a Mrs Bucket type already.

As long as Nick stays away from Mr Swallow I'll be happy. I like him a lot so far and the interviews sound like he'll be the outside-the-box guy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Beerdeer posted:

Good ep.

Glad it's not just me. I think the Bolton accent sounds naturally middle aged.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
"Not you, Sophie, you'll have to wait. You know what you've done."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Having fun imagining what that would look like. "THE BOSS", with a BOSS and his personal assistant, sending jobs that four celebrities have to complete. They are then rewarded anywhere from $1 to $500 dollars depending on how well they did. At the end the winner gets to keep the money they earned and the losers get nothing.

This is making me imagine a Trump-hosted Apprentice/Taskmaster crossover and I hate it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Beerdeer posted:

Good ep.

Right? I thought she was closer to Steve’s age!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
having actual cash would ruin it, the whole point/fun of some games is some people get weirdly tryhard about points that dont matter at all.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

On top of them sharing the episodes on youtube now, just throwing out there that the subreddit panelshow's always has the episode up pretty fast via dailymotion.

PhazonLink posted:

having actual cash would ruin it, the whole point/fun of some games is some people get weirdly tryhard about points that dont matter at all.

:thejoke:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

stev posted:

Glad it's not just me. I think the Bolton accent sounds naturally middle aged.

yeah I was shocked to discover that she's the only one of this cast younger than me

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Pleasantly surprised by Steve Pemberton's effortless punning, he was the highlight of the episode for me. Undecided on the rest of the cast yet.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Two wildly bold predictions based on just a single episode:

1) Joanne to win
2) Steve is going to set a record for points earned in prize tasks

Another thing I remembered I liked a day later: the freeze frames as Nick was throwing bricks, great editing choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's a frame in the scene where he's holding the brick saying "I'm going to try and throw bricks" which just looks absolutely demented