Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Charlie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tarro

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Charlie

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Tarro

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
Tarro.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Hey so I started a new job and then got sick but let's get back to this.

Sami: OK, let’s do some meet n’ greet n’ put Tarro in front.

Drac: Like, are you nuts?

Sami: It’ll be funny, it’s fine!

But will it be? Will it really?

I had a number of ideas for what happened next and then figured why not let you decide:

1. Tarro does not have detractors; he invites kids (and adults, it’s all the same to him) to climb all over him like he was a soft, cuddly mascot and they find his interpretation of biblical passages to be amusing. This will reduce the perceived threat of the band significantly but a lack of controversy means less attention.

2. Tarro has detractors from a church group which protests both the venue but also Tarro’s interpretation of scripture. This has no impact on the perceived threat, but will make the band slightly more controversial and keep the focus on them. It will also make the Church and Community Centre unavailable as gigs.

3. Tarro has detractors from the anti-monster crowd. While trying to pick a fight with a towering 4-armed man-eating monster who can shrug off canon-fire is a great way to earn a Darwin award, the band will ensure that the confrontation is bloodless. It will strain relationships with the police and raise the perceived threat and controversy for the band, but this also comes with a significant hype boost.

4. Roll dice! 33% of any option happening.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

While I love the idea of cuddlemonster, we really need that HYPE

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

4 i love all of these

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

4. I'm OK with letting the dice decide our fate.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Tarro shuffles off the stage and towards the crowd and kneels to be less intimidating; it doesn’t work but it was a nice attempt. Some people tentatively step forward for a closer look at him. The children are curious, but their parents hold them back. The teens in the audience are braver but still hesitate.

Tarro: Don’t be afraid! As Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” And I would never harm those who to whom Heaven belongs.

Most parents are unimpressed. Tarro thinks for a few moments.

Tarro: Be not afraid! Do the birds in the air worry? Do the lilies? Nay. I follow the righteous path of Jesus and I know the meek shall inherit the earth along with the sex workers who washed His feet, and long with them the outcast, the addicts, and that the Kingdom of Heaven is full of them! It also probably has blackjack as this seems to accompany the sex workers, and recreational narcotics to comfort the addicts but of course the narcotics are merely placebos since Heaven is clearly a good time all on its own.

A few members of the crowd is offended.

Concerned Parent: Hold on, that’s blasphemous!

Tarro: Are you saying Heaven is not a good time?

Concerned Parent: No but…

Tarro: Did Christ not comfort the outcast? Did the last not be first?

Concerned Parent: You’re twisting the words of the church!

Tarro: Truly I tell you, Christ would welcome the meek, the children, the outcast, the sex workers, dare I say even the monsters (even though we are not weak) to approach without fear!

Concerned Parent: Are you actually comparing yourself to Christ? The absolute…

Tarro: This is strictly about welcoming the downtrodden! Also the undead! And having a good time! Don’t stop the children!

There is some angry muttering amongst the churchgoers along with chuckling from the audience.

Drac: Don’t stop us now!

Sami (singing): Don’t stop us, ‘cause we’re having a good time, having a good time!

Drac begins to jam on his keytar and Tarro claps his hands.

Nem: We’re a shooting star leaping through the sky
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
We’re a racing car passing by
Like Lady Godiva
We’re gonna go, go, go
There's no stopping us!

Sami, Drac and Nem all begin to sing, with Nem leading. Charlie grabs her base and Sami’s guitar comes to life. Tarro claps; his mighty limbs making up for a lack of snare.

We’re burning through the sky
Yeah!
To the Lord’s decree
That's why they called Him Mister Son of God!
We’re traveling at the speed of light
We’re gonna make a Jesus Christ Super Star out of you!
The crowd is a mixture of laughter, confusion and indignation.

Sami: We’re really doing this Nem? We’re going Christian Rock right now?

Nem: Don't stop me now!

Sami: OK then!

Nem (singing): I'm having such a good time
I'm having a ball
Don't stop me now
If you wanna have a good time
Just give Christ a call!

Sami: Just so you know I’m singing ironically just to piss people off!

Drac: Like, me too!

(There is more laughter and some appreciative hollering)

Nem (singing): Don't stop me now!
'Cause I'm having a good time
Don't stop me now
Yes, I'm having a good time
I don't wanna stop at all, yeah!
I'm a rocket ship on my way to Mars
On a collision course
I am a satellite
I'm out of control

Sami: This oughta be good!

Nem (sings): I'm a sex machine ready to reload
Like an atom bomb about to-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh explode

Nem then shouts: CHRIST HAS ALREADY FORGIVEN ME!

Tarro: Yes He has!

Sami bursts out laughing.

This really upsets the church goers but their rage is largely ignored as the band continues with the cover. While the offended members of the congregation leave in protest, the additional performance is well received. The perceived threat of the monster band is significantly reduced, even if they are understandably no longer welcome at the Church or community centre due to the controversy.

Hype for the concert is now GOOD.

The band returns to the castle. It is now dusk; time to decide if the band shall do investigation or rest and practice for the concert.

If the band chooses to investigate, they will need to rest tomorrow and forgo any promotion.
If the band chooses to rest, they can do a promotion tomorrow but the cult will be able to move uninterrupted.

Please suggest to either INVESTIGATE or REST.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Poor Tarro, misunderstood like the Lord Jesus himself. We kinda do need to kick the cult's teeth in, so let's investigate.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yep. The cult probably feels safer after, uh, that, so time to investigate

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We deserve a Rest

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

As night falls the band returns to the castle lounge where Igor meets them.

Igor: So, how did the promo go?

Sami: Went fine. Got some new leads – might get some inside scoop on the mining company if we investigate the abandoned mines. Sounds like the cult’s there. How’s the daughter of Dracula coming along?

Igor: Surprisingly well. Should have her up and walking tomorrow.

Sami: We’re gonna go investigate the abandoned mines tonight, you coming along?

Igor: Definitely if you’re doing any sort of investigation. I’m hoping not to disappoint the Doctor this time.

Sami: The Doc can eat a loving dick.

Nem: Sami! Language! Also the Doctor is our sponsor!

Sami: Doesn’t give anyone rights to treat someone like poo poo.

Igor: The Doctor treats me well enough. Appreciate the concern but it’s misguided. Let’s get to these mines.

It’s a short trip to the abandoned mines, outside of town and only ten minutes from the castle. With the evening’s descent the warmth of the day is slowly fading as the bus rumbles down a dirt road towards the mines.
Igor stops the vehicle a short distance away from the turn off from the main road.

Igor: If the cult’s here, they might have a lookout. How loud you guys wanna do this? If we’re trying to clear the cult out we could go in loud to make them panic -- block the road out with the bus and take them down.

Sami: Yeah, assuming they’re stupid enough not to have alternative routes. Going in loud is stupid.

Charlie: Not always. We’re scary monsters and with darkness it can be very effective.

Igor: If we want to go in quiet then we need to park here and wait until it gets darker, maybe find and disable any potential escape vehicles.

Sami: We’re going to want it darker regardless. If they’re not completely stupid they’re going to have lookouts, and just a reminder but not all of us are bullet-proof.

Nem: I agree, loud or quiet we will want to ensure there’s no easy escape. We have no idea how many of them there are.

Charlie: We don’t need to get every last one, just cause enough trouble to force them to re-abandon the mines.

Drac: I can like, totally scout from the air.

Igor nods.

Igor: So we scout first, but again – we going in loud or quiet?

Sami will automatically vote for quiet while Charlie will vote for loud, effectively nulling their votes. What approach should the band take?

Additional option: Do you have characters you prefer the illustrations focus on?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Go all sneaky like. Give Drac a chance to shine.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

tempting.... but let's be Sneaky

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Charlie is correct. Be big scary loud monsters

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

In a puff of smoke, Drac flutters away into the dim light.

Sami: Hey Drac, are you a fruit bat? You know they're not native here right?

Drac doesn’t dignify her question with a response and fifteen minutes later he’s back.

Drac: They’ve got like, only a couple of look-outs and maybe like, 4 SUV’s?

Sami: So maybe a crew of 16, tops. They’ve gotta leave room for gear and ore. We nab them all and it should put a serious dent in their plans.

Igor: Shouldn’t be too hard provided they’re all human.

Sami: If we’re gonna do this quiet, Tarro should stay behind & guard the bus. No offence Tarro, but just about anyone would hear you coming.

Tarro: None taken.

Sami: Next we should take out their lookouts and sabotage their vehicles.

Igor: Sounds like you’ve got experience doing this?

Sami: My people are on the goblin end of the food chain, we’ve had to adapt. Anyhow, they know these mines better than we do. There could be multiple escape routes, if they’re smart.

Igor: And if they’re stupid?

Sami: Hell if I know. Stupid people can be unpredictable, but if there’s only one entrance and we can just camp it.

Igor: And they have explosives, which they might be stupid enough to use and bring the whole place down on themselves – and us if we’re in there at the time. Sounds like the bigger decision is if we want to take them alive or not.

Nem: I would prefer we keep casualties to a minimum.

Charlie: Best way to do that is for me to web up anyway in or out. Once they realize they’re trapped negotiating should be easy.

Sami: Provided they don’t try something stupid with their explosives either to escape or to just collapse the mines so we don’t find out what they were up to.

Nem: I’m wary of trusting their intellect; I think we would be better off ambushing them at their vehicles. If they know they’re trapped they’re more likely to do something foolish than surrender.

Igor: Depends on what they’re doing here. If they’re covering their tracks they might finish it by the time we get them.

Drac: You’re not like, talking about us going in there after them?

Igor: I don’t like it, but it would give us a shot at finding out what they’re up to as well as stopping it. They might be less desperate that way too.

Nem: We’re far more likely to have causalities during a confrontation though.

Sami: That’s assuming we even find them. If we go that route we’d better seal off the exits so they’re trapped with us.

What should the band do?

Plan of Action:
1. Seal them in – the band will search for any exits and then Charlie will web them shut. The cultists might surrender or they might blow themselves up instead.
2. Ambush them – the band will wait until they try to leave, find their vehicles sabotaged and then move in. The cultists will finish whatever it was they were doing there, but if you want to take them alive this is the surest way.
3. Hunt them down – the band will seal the exits and prowl the mines until they’ve neutralized them. This is the only way to stop whatever the cultists are doing but it puts the band at the greatest risk since the cultists know the mine better than they do.

Priorities:
A. Band safety first – the band will prioritize their safety first, taking the cultists alive second. Given the strength of some of the members it’s likely that some cultists will die as subduing people is tricky.
B. Focus on Capture – the band will prioritize taking them alive and will take risks to do it.

Smik fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
3A - we need to get answers but let's look after our own.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1A

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Podima posted:

3A - we need to get answers but let's look after our own.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

3a

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

The band – minus Tarro, who stays with the bus – creeps through the brush towards the area Drac scouted out. Under the cover of night, they soon find the scouts, standing separately on two of the four SUV’s.

Sami: We need to take them out quietly if possible. Who knows how close the rest of the cultists are.

Igor: So what are our options?

Sami: I can move quietly enough to take one of them out on my own, but not both. Clocking someone over the head with an axe isn’t exactly silent and there’s a good chance they’ll die – either immediately or without medical attention.

Charlie: I can take one out silently and without killing them. I might be able to do both less silently.

Drac: Like sneaking up’s not the problem, but like doing it without killing them is the tricky part. Can’t do the mesmerisation like I used to.

Nem: I can deal with both scouts at once and they’ll live, but it certainly won’t be quiet. Being swarmed by a murder of crows will keep them from any communications device they might have but won’t stop them from screaming.

Drac: You got any like, sedatives Igor?

Igor: The stuff I’ve got is strong enough to knock out Tarro but they’d still take about five minutes to kick in and might actually kill them in the process. If we're OK with a little murder though, one good laser shot can take out both.

NEW MECHANIC: Enemy Panic
The more panicked the cultists get, the more likely they are to do something disastrously stupid with the explosives they doubtless carry on them. Keep the noise down and avoid killing anyone too messily to prevent it from rising. Note that the band will still prioritize their own safety first when push comes to shove regardless of enemy panic levels.

What does the band decide to do?

Pick the band members to take out the scouts! If you have other ideas for individual band members you can also specify; they’ll let you know what’s beyond them before acting.

Sami: She can easily sneak up on one of the scouts. If she uses her guitar, she will 100% take out her target, which has a 50% chance of being killed immediately and a 25% chance of dying a few hours afterwards.
Charlie: She can easily sneak up on one of the scouts and has a 100% chance of incapacitating without noise or killing. She can attempt to take out the second lookout using her webbing, but as it involves snagging and whipping them over to her it’s much noisier and has a 25% chance of whiffing. They probably won’t die (75% survival). There’s a 25% chance someone in the mines will hear this.
Drac: He can instantly ambush one of the lookouts and take them out with his keytar, but like Sami he’s got a 50% chance of instantly killing them and they have a 25% chance of dying from the head trauma within hours afterwards.
Nem: Using her crows, Nem can attack both lookouts at once. Both lookouts will survive, but there’s a 40% chance of altering anyone in the mines. The results are the same even if Nem teams up with someone and only targets a single lookout.
Igor: She can silently take out both lookouts with little more than a flash of light but they'll definitely die.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Charlie incaps one for interrogation if needed, Sami axes the other.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Charlie tries to get both, with Drac prepared to teleport and bonk the second if Charlie whiffs

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

vorebane posted:

Charlie incaps one for interrogation if needed, Sami axes the other.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Sami and Charlie sneak through the darkness; Sami is small enough as to be almost invisible while Charlie creeps along on all eights almost level with the ground. Sami climbs up behind one lookout. Just as she’s about to strike, Charlie leaps on to the SUV (her weight being such that she can’t climb on top without the lookout noticing the vehicle sinking) and simultaneously grabs each of the lookouts’ limbs and places a strong hand over his moth. Before the other lookout can react, Sami cracks him across the back of the head with her guitar. It sings out beautifully as her target starts to stumble off the side of the vehicle. Sami reaches over to catch him and helpfully sets him down to prevent further injury.

The rest of the band moves up while Charlie webs up her captive.

Igor examines the lookout Sami clocked.

Igor: Well he’s still alive, although probably has a concussion and he could die before morning.

Nem: I could heal him to keep him from dying. I still have enough residual energy from the trolls.

Igor: I’d rather we save that energy for one of us.

Nem: It’s honestly not that big a deal. If you’re really concerned, I could just siphon off a little bit from the other lookout.

Sami: Sounds fine. Let’s web these dipshits up. Drac, let’s check ‘round for any other exits.

Sami and Drac head out to check for any additional ways in or out of the mines while Nem stabilizes the injured lookout before the two of them are secured.
Charlie: Did you wanna interrogate them now or wait until we got everyone? I take the web off their mouths and I think they’re gonna start screaming.

The band decides…
A. Interrogate them now. This will be noisy and there’s a good chance that some of the other cultists might sense something’s up, but they might be able to get an idea of what they’re doing here or at least where they might be in the mine.
B. Interrogate them, but drug them first. This is less noisy, but the drugs will also interfere with the information you can get from them.
C. Forget it, just go after the cultists.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C knowing whats going on is for weenies

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

C. Like these nerds know anything other than to make noise if they spot a monster

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

What's more rock and roll than drugs? B

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Let's use the enhanced interrogation techniques.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

B

Even if all they do is a beavis and butthead skit it'll still be amusing.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Igor injects the duo with some chemicals of some sort. By the time Sami & Drac return it’s kicked in, going by the pupil dilation.

Nem: Let me try a faerie charm this time around.

She knees over and peers at the captives.

Lookout #1: Oh God…
Lookout #2: gently caress my head.
Lookout #1: Dude.
Lookout #2: What? My head’s killing me.
Lookout #1: The Devil is staring at me.
Lookout #2: Oh poo poo.

Nem doesn’t look very impressed.

Lookout #1: Dude.
Lookout #2: Are we in deep poo poo?
Lookout #1: I dunno, but the Devil is really cute.
Lookout #2: (Stares at Nem)
Lookout #2: You gently caress’n idiot that’s not the Devil.
Lookout #1: What?
Lookout #2: It’s a furry.
Lookout #1: Oh yeah. She’s a cute furry.

Nem: God. Dammit.

Nem: It is not funny, Ms. Lugosi.

Nem focuses her will upon the captives, this time with feeling.

Nem: What is your group doing here?

Lookout #1: Clearing our tracks.
Lookout #2: With explosives.

Nem: How many exits are there to the mines?

Lookout #1: Just two.

Sami and Drac nod.

Sami: What’s with the burned out vehicles? Drac and I found a few scouting.

Lookout #1: They belonged to the Monster Hunters that tried check’n the mines.

Nem: Who burned them?

The captives glance at each other.

Nem: Their people did; they wouldn’t be hesitating otherwise. Who is your leader?

Lookout #1: The White King.

Nem: What’s his name?

Lookout #1: I don’t know, he’s just the White King.
Lookout #2: Everyone kinda looks the same at meetings with those robes. He just has a crown.

Drac: Like, are the meetings catered?

Lookout #1: Yeah, why?

Drac: Like, no reason.

He motions for Sami & Igor to talk to them in private.

Drac: Like, I totally had a reason. Like I know cults man, I used to have cults. The catering is everything. Like if it’s not catered it’s a movement appealing to the poor and downtrodden and like nobody expects food. They only get catered if it’s like some elite class stuff, ‘cause like they just can’t help showing off. So whoever the White King is, he’s like some total upper class twit, man.

Sami: We’ll keep that in mind. Important thing is nailing the cultists.

Igor: It’s gonna get crowded in the dungeon pretty fast. The sooner we can pass off dealing with these guys the better. It’s a good thing we never announced taking out the Troll Queen, the missing cultists can just be blamed on them.

Sami: What is our game plan with these freaks anyhow?

Igor: Until we’ve got more clues and evidence, just hold ‘em for now.

Sami: Well they got a laptop in their SUV. Might wanna start with that. Everything’s coated in dust, so careful ‘bout getting it in anything.

Charlie: Well I’ve webbed up a wrecked car to the alternative exit so even if they burn my silk it should hold.

Igor: All right. Now it’s time…

Please make a suggestion:
1. Igor stays behind to investigate, perspective stays with her. Any enemies that sneak past the band (or who might arrive later) she will deal with as they’re just going to web up the main entrance. Pick this option to influence detective work.
2. Igor stays behind to investigate, perspective stays with the band. Drac estimates there’s 14 people in the mines. Pick this option to influence exploration and simplified combat.
3. Keep the band together and explore the mines. Igor will adjust her needler to be less fatal and more tranquilizing, which will make capturing cultists slightly easier.
4. Something else?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

2. We need more information. And I feel Igor can handle this just fine on her own.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We are going to need living cultists of a higher rank if we are going to bring this up in front of the police after all this. They aren't going to believe a bunch of monsters about what is going on without us catching Old Man Johnson in the act with Igor's eye cam or whatever.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Igor adjusts the chemical loadout of her needler and the band enters through the mines main entrance. The dust is especially thick at the entrance.

Drac raises his hand to stop the group at the entrance.

Drac: Like, let me take a listen here. I’ll like, have the lay of the land ready in a jiff.

There’s some clicking and crackling of mystic energies as Drac stands with his arms outstretched and palms out. A few minutes later, he looks at the group.

Drac: Like, OK so there’s a mess of tunnels we can take. Two of the tunnels sounds “thick”, like there’s a lot of organic stuff there. Another one sounds real thick, like it could be filled in even. There’s one tunnel that’s like, super echoy so it’s probably clear, maybe a major one.

Sami: ‘Thick’ tunnels with lots of organic? Probably our targets.

Drac: Like probably, but a lotta dirt or water sound ‘thick’ in the same way to me.

Sami: The ‘clear’ tunnel would have been a major location. Could be a hub location for the original miners, and if that’s the case that could be full of bombs if they’re looking to bury their secrets.

Igor: Well we’re sticking together so we better figure out what place to hit first. I think…

Please choose a route. Rather than choose blindly, each route comes complete with a hint at what you might encounter. Try to keep the enemy panic low; the higher it goes the more likely the cultists are to make rash decisions and considering they’re packing explosives it’ll be bad news. The band is relying on Sami & Drac’s light feet and detection abilities. (Nem & Charlie both have enhanced hearing but neither can move as quietly as Sami & Drac).

ROUTE ONE: The First “Thick” Tunnel
The air from this route of tunnels smells of damp, decay and death. Doubtless there is a clue in there but a possible nervous threat as well.

ROUTE TWO: The “Really Thick” Tunnel
The air is dusty and the tunnel is silent. There’s a slight stink of decay.

ROUTE THREE: The Second “Thick” Tunnel
There’s signs of activity down this tunnel. Sami will be able to help deal with whatever you find down there.

ROUTE FOUR: The “Clear” Tunnel
It’s quiet, the air is clear, and there’s no particularly off-putting smell coming from it.