Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Can someone explain this Marcus Stroman du-rag kerfluffle to me?

Why would Tom Seaver have worn one and how is it racist? Was the announcer just saying "lol look at that thing on his head!"?

Ya he's basically saying Tom Seaver was awesome and didn't do hood poo poo like wear a durag (cause hes an old racist), Stroman needs to be professional like Tom Seaver was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

So apparently after his collision Pham got into a physical altercation with a bench coach in the dugout???

https://twitter.com/DannyVietti/status/1400198642707746816

I know Pham is a pretty fiery guy but this seems kinda random.

I assume Pham was still pissed about Kim giving him a leaping headbutt on a ball that should have been his, and Dickerson was trying to get him to cool off more than it was Pham intentionally fighting with Dickerson.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Brenley's made some other comments in a similar vein IIRC, like saying how Tatis would find it easier to run the bases if he didn't have "a bike chain around his neck." It's definitely racialized and meant as a putdown to Stro, who is 100% right to call him out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
gently caress Bob Brenley.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man I only sort of skimmed that article when i read it the first time and came away with the distinct impression that tom seaver wore some sort of du-rag

why yes, i write for a living, why do you ask

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

what

what

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kitty Bellinger :3:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I love so many of these Tops 70 cards.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
N: blue Jays

V: are cool and good and I love them

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This poo poo's gonna get me into baseball cards.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Kirios posted:

Blake Taylor looked good last year so I'm not too worried about him. Still, the Astros need to look at relievers and a center fielder before the deadline.

Also remember the Astros were swept by the Tigers and Padres while basically the entire lineup was out on COVID protocol.

I would assume the Astros would be 2-3 games up on Oakland if the full team was playing those series.

In conclusion, Astros good.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I would appreciate if the Blue Jays paid Marcus Simien a lot of money to stay.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Also remember the Astros were swept by the Tigers and Padres while basically the entire lineup was out on COVID protocol.

I would assume the Astros would be 2-3 games up on Oakland if the full team was playing those series.

In conclusion, Astros good.
Turns out the losses still count if your chud team is all out with COVID exposure cause they were too stubborn to get their shots (it’s only a matter of time before this happens to the Dodgers too)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Dodgers all have immunity by now thanks to Turner

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Intruder posted:

In proving bawfuls's point news, the current K rate for the average MLB pitcher is nearly the same as Nolan Ryan as pointed out by The Athletic

Pitcher hitting and pinch hitter strikeout % is through the roof (see article I posted a page or two back) and thus far regular every day starter strikeout % is holding steady/slightly down from last two years (as of that article anyway)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

This poo poo's gonna get me into baseball cards.

Yea me too these are dope

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I need this in poster size immediately

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/TheBGustafson/status/1399824631691837441?s=19

https://twitter.com/MarinersPR/status/1399818726015332353?s=19

We must suffer. We are shame piggies and we deserve and desire suffering.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

These are insane but also they own

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Can someone explain the Paul O'Neill/ump one to me?

Also: based Cutch

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1387941382342467590

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

I have no baseball cards and don't really know who this guy is but this card is so sick I'm thinking of buying it? Am I insane?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

thehoodie posted:

I have no baseball cards and don't really know who this guy is but this card is so sick I'm thinking of buying it? Am I insane?

For not knowing who Dennis Eckersley is? A little.

For wanting to buy that card anyway? Not at all.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

For not knowing who Dennis Eckersley is? A little.

The definitive Dennis Eckersley story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5s3nIwyknc
(skip to 3:45 for the good stuff)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 3, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

Can someone explain the Paul O'Neill/ump one to me?
O'Neill was an angry player who always argued with umps so he's giving him death ray stares? I guess?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dansby and Ozzie both got their 500th career hit today, some definition of that (teammates? adjacent infield players?) might be one of those firsts baseball somehow still manages to produce year after year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Dansby and Ozzie both got their 500th career hit today, some definition of that (teammates? adjacent infield players?) might be one of those firsts baseball somehow still manages to produce year after year.

the broadcasts this year have been weirdly focused on "milestones" to the point of running chyrons about them seemingly constantly, like I'm pretty stoked for Acuña's 100th homer too but maybe wait to tell me once he's at 99.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

Turns out the losses still count if your chud team is all out with COVID exposure cause they were too stubborn to get their shots (it’s only a matter of time before this happens to the Dodgers too)

Pot meet Justin Turner.

The Astros met their threshold - all of this was around the time they were getting the shots.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Pot meet Justin Turner.
what exactly do you think my parenthetical meant there?

The Dodgers have still not met the 85% threshold and the Turner experience last fall demonstrates they're not impervious to an outbreak, hence I think it is only a matter of time before they have to bench a bunch of guys for exposure. A team outbreak that begins literally as they're clinching the World Series is by definition the least consequential time they could have one. They're at risk of one at a far more impactful time now.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 3, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wait I thought bawfuls was just being tongue in cheek you were actually serious with that comment?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Astros and Padres both had to put several key players on the IL because of covid contact tracing or positive tests, and it cost them games. Why should I expect the Dodgers to be immune from something similar happening?

I'm confused why you're confused.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

No it's just clear you were being hypocritical since the Dodgers are even more CHUD and dealt with a much more public backlash on outbreaks. I assumed you were just making a joke out of it. That is...uh, amusing lack of awareness on your part then.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1400529522781347843

I'm curious to see if/how much this impacts some pitchers. MLB already started handing down 10 game suspensions for a few minor league guys yesterday.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I feel like any argument attempting to quantify which poster’s professional sports team is chuddier than the other’s is only going to end with both parties angry and disappointed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kirios posted:

No it's just clear you were being hypocritical since the Dodgers are even more CHUD and dealt with a much more public backlash on outbreaks. I assumed you were just making a joke out of it. That is...uh, amusing lack of awareness on your part then.

But... he's explicitly including the Dodges in the critcism...?

This feels like an unproductive argument.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Name yourselves the Spiders, cowards

quote:

CLEVELAND -- Like expecting parents, the Cleveland Indians are trying to settle on a name.

It's proving to be a tedious, testing process.

The team said Thursday it now has a final list from an initial pool of nearly 1,200 entries. It is vetting the possible team names for legal purposes after months of research and discussions with fans.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
This isn't the first time someone has labelled the Astros as a bunch of chuds. Is it because they cheated and we all don't like them? Because Houston is in Texas?

Maybe I just don't understand what it means to actually be a chud :shrug:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

I don't know what your deal is but it sure seems like you search for things to fight with me about.

Feels like a forum echo of the phenomena I've noticed where Astros fans now have particular animus towards the Dodgers, despite the Dodgers never costing them anything. Astros fans boo'ing key Dodgers players would be like me boo'ing Randy Arozarena, I don't get it. Unless of course it's a reaction to the trash can scheme going public, whereby the Dodgers as the public victim of the scandal provoke the ire of Houston fans who are angry that everyone else dislikes their team now? So it's like all the Astro fan frustration over the scandal gets directed at the Dodgers, and likewise you have chosen me as your sworn SAS posting enemy or something?

Johnny Bravo posted:

This isn't the first time someone has labelled the Astros as a bunch of chuds. Is it because they cheated and we all don't like them? Because Houston is in Texas?

They're chuds because they are MLB players, the vast majority of which are chuds. (Yes this includes my favorite team, as I said in the original post and have repeatedly said for years now) In this context, missing time cause you popped up on a contact tracing list and refused to be vaccinated qualifies as chud behavior, since staunch opposition to covid vaccination is chud behavior.

This is already far too much posting about posting.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 3, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Bravo posted:

I think it's just an implication that teams with Covid outbreaks are due to players who refuse to get vaccinated because they are chuds.

idk it's a dumb thing to argue about. Every team appears to have some number of players who refuse the vaccine and I don't think they're all chuds, some of them are just regular jerks.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

ya this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anti-vax=chud is definitely a bit of an oversimplification since anti-vax stupidity comes from a lot of angles, but then again there is one main focal point of it at the moment.

But in fairness the Astros did go all pro-abuser/fake news so... they're pretty "chudy".