Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Going by what they're doing with 40K, they don't need to release books to release rules anymore. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

thebardyspoon posted:

Supposedly the rumors are Sigmar was lying in some way about them being able to be reborn indefinitely and some of them are starting to degenerate. So there'll be some berserker ragey types, some flagellant ones who're starting to break and think it's because they aren't faithful enough and then potentially a dreadnought equivalent where ones spirit has been put in a big machine. Again all rumors, just what I've been hearing. Not sure if that'd help or hinder your perception of them as Space Marine knock offs though.

put multiple burnt out souls in a big scary machine

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kinda bizarre that there wasn’t a single model preview to go with the new edition announcement? We know the sprues exist, the team must have some painted skaven by now due to the lead time, but we didn’t get a glimpse of anything, not even a 3D render. Very odd choice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, I was all ready to get tempted into poor financial decisions by fancy rat models. That's still going to happen, but I wanted it to happen now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They did the same last year with 10th, announced the release window, showed the cinematic, and teased two model revamps. Slightly different scenario since the teased models were game staples that were overdue for a redesign.

Then the full contents were revealed a month later at the end of April.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah but that's still two more models than what we got for AoS, 40k 10th even showed us a Datasheet

They'll come in time but it seems extremely odd to be this stingy with model previews

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It was weird that they had a Nintendo Direct instead of a real presentation, so a lot of the normal assumptions are off the table.

If we go a month and change without so much as a peek, then I'll get worried.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The slow trickle of 10th edition 40k rumors kept up my group's hype pretty well. Little glimpses into new rules, changes to armies, and the new starter box did a lot to get a bunch of us hyped up to come back to 40k.

I'd be surprised if they did not do the same for AoS, especially since it seems like this a big deal release for that system. Between Stormcast, Skaven, new Darkoath, and all the Warcry stuff, it seems like a banner year for AoS.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

More like year of chaos, lets go chaos, love da dark gods.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

More like year of chaos, lets go chaos, love da dark gods.

Love da jets

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

grassy gnoll posted:

It was weird that they had a Nintendo Direct instead of a real presentation, so a lot of the normal assumptions are off the table.

If we go a month and change without so much as a peek, then I'll get worried.

A friend remarked that the presentation looked as if they had hired an american media agency, very corporate and rehearesed.
My gut reaction was that it looked like a video game stream presentation.

I get the feeling those might be the norm from here on. Bringing in the guys behind the games were nice, but it definitely felt stilted at times.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Rehearsal except for the dude in the green flannel during the Killteam beat that looked like he was sitting under 2x gravity.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Even then the TOW section felt like it was a bunch of dwarves sitting around a table.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Cooked Auto posted:

A friend remarked that the presentation looked as if they had hired an american media agency, very corporate and rehearesed.

I get the feeling those might be the norm from here on. Bringing in the guys behind the games were nice, but it definitely felt stilted at times.

Better than than wasting the first 10 minutes on "where are you watching from? What are you working on?" like just get on to the reveals the chat moves too fast.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

I was thinking exactly the same, it looked like any video game presentation. I kind of liked it, I just hope they change the way they show the minis so they're more clear, and that someone checks their scripts so they don't repeat themselves.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

Better than than wasting the first 10 minutes on "where are you watching from? What are you working on?" like just get on to the reveals the chat moves too fast.

Pretty sure that was just them stalling a bit to let viewers join, since not everyone is going to show up 10-15 minutes ahead.
Even if they could probably drop the location dropping and just ramble on for like 5 minutes like they usually did.

Talas posted:

I was thinking exactly the same, it looked like any video game presentation. I kind of liked it, I just hope they change the way they show the minis so they're more clear, and that someone checks their scripts so they don't repeat themselves.

Ah yeah, it was odd they went from showing clear stills while the hosts talked to showing just the same clips from the reveal video.
Not to mention talking about Abraxia like three times in a row. :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Talas posted:

The format wasn't necessarily a disaster but I felt like they spent a little too long on each reveal (they told the story of Abraxia's spear like three times in a row for example) and we didn't get nearly as many pictures of the models as I would like. Like the 40k CSM Chaos Lords have a bunch of alternate builds they just didn't show off or discuss in the stream which is a huge miss when you're trying to talk up these new kits.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there was SO much talking and most of it was basically content-free. that presentation could have been a lean 30 minutes easily instead of 70

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm pretty sure what people say about all of them once they're over, regardless of presentation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly my main thought is 'oh no, where's the big beardy guy' when it started and then feeling relieved that he showed up in the interviews.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The ideal Warhammer preview:

Quick intro

For each preview:
- Video
- A minute or two talking about it
- Then, show a rotating view of each key model or set of models for 20ish seconds while this plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rx8IEyxF0
- Punctuate with Minions going "oooooooh!" and that sfx if kids yelling "YAY!"

Repeat

Oh, and one more thing as an outgoing teaser.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd say use the Dawn of War music for any 40k reveal and maybe Total Warhammer for ToW. No idea what music to use for AoS because I have no idea what the RTS had for music and there isn't enough games using the setting to sample from.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pinwiz11 posted:

The ideal Warhammer preview:

Photograph of miniature with name of it underneath

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh, and any talk should not include the phrase "Great for 40k conversions" like they've used in the past for some AoS releases.
Feels kind of wrong to say that when you're showing off something for a specific setting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The lastest short story involves the no longer supported Phoenicium.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/22/dawnbringer-chronicles-xxv-last-embers/

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh, and any talk should not include the phrase "Great for 40k conversions" like they've used in the past for some AoS releases.
Feels kind of wrong to say that when you're showing off something for a specific setting.

Label all Tomb Kings releases as "Thousand Sons Upgrade Kit (with free Citadel Skulls)"

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...ons-imperialis/

I'm surprised to see the Underworlds box going up for pre-order already, considering it was announced this week.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...-warhammer-com/

To apparently "send off" the current edition of AoS, you can now spend money to get models "celebrating the current protagonists".

They're... okay. :effort:

quote:

The miniatures will be available for a limited time only. Both Mordern Tzane and Killaboss Zagnog will be on sale directly from the webstore – but Tzane will be added to your shopping basket for free when you spend £150 in one go. And if that weren’t enough, if you spend £100 you’ll get a free discount code for Black Library worth £10!

This promotion is open from 10am GMT on the 26th of March until 10am BST on the 29th of April.

Edit:
Just to avoid triple posting.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/25/celebrate-the-new-edition-of-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-at-the-mortal-realms-reforged/
Much like they did with Leviathan, GW is holding a special day where people can test the new 4e rules and gawk at the models.

The Nottingham events will be free.

For anyone not being able to mess with texas or take the pilgrimage to GWHQ, there'll be a stream on the 16th.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 25, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Too far away! Want new edition now!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
They also put up a new vid

https://youtu.be/po2qZT7WiQI?si=IDmaDm87Amk20jdC

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
drat, I had always heard about head aches with Khinerai but I thought it was mostly the tail as a support. Didn't expect the wing tips to disintegrate removing then from the sprues.

Good thing they don't matter to much since I'm going the bat route for the wings.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In my web feed thing today I had a story about Skaven followed immediately by another story about rats shutting down a KFC yes-yes just normal rats

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Man-things, we have secured the seven secret herbs and spices. Yes-yes, combined with warpstone dust, we will produce the ultimate fried chicken! It will consume Milwaukee! Yes-yes, your defeat-loss is assured! SURRENDER BEFORE COLONEL SKRITZ, MASTER OF CLAN CHRKENN!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just watch out for the 2 headed chickens...

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
The Skaven discover that Colonel Harland David Sanders never owned slaves and taunt his man-thing weakness

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Are there any new Age of Sigmar novels so I can keep track of what's going on lore-wise? The last one I read was about that Stormcasts going on a Crusade or whatever (Dominion, I think?), where the Kruleboyz were revealed. And also a little bit of lore in the Kragnos book. What books have been released after that? I can't seem to figure out a reading order from GW's websites.

Furism fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 27, 2024

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Most AoS novels don't have to deal with the main meta plot, which is usually on the website and the campaign books, currently the Dawnbringers books. There will presumably be a new novel with the new edition but there isn't a current novel that has like, the rite of life being cast.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's because there isn't a reading order, most AoS books are just random adventures in the realms.

And when a new edition hits you get like one or two books that set up the new lore of it, usually named after whatever the starter box is named.
After that it's the lore in the core book and end of edition campaign books where most of it will be found.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ok, it's kind of a bummer. It'd be nice if a novelization of what's happening in the game was available.

On the same note, is this book the same as the one that was released along the figurine? Again it's not very clear to me.