Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

That is an excellent start. Do Quenneville next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Porrima posted:

A few thoughts on this and the original post - Blackhawks are filled with poo poo people, but this guy plays in Russia and hasn't played in NA, so this probably is not too much reflective of Blackhawks culture but of Russian one.

All of muslim world has some middle eastern influence for obvious reasons and saudi/wahhabist extremism export reasons, but the keffiyeh is, indeed, a gulf arab and levantine dress that people can wear for Palestine solidarity or things like that in many places, but not a traditional wear in the Caucasus and Central Asia, which is what the muslims inside Russian Federation mostly are from. This is imo just a "I'm dressing as a terrorist arab" rather than "hey, I've seen actual people in my country a bit like this".

Also, to their credit, at least some americans now have a general concept of "this is a hurtful stereotype, we should not" in their brains, Russians generally do not. The society is not currently or possibly ever very conducive to that, (which is not a reflection of general "goodness" of people - I like a lot of russian people individually a lot, being in a job dealing with them constantly) and people who -would- feel like that are similar people who are relatively likely to be suppressed by the government and mainstream media.

Whatever we might feel about that and whatever one feels about the russian actions and geopolitical happenings that stoke the fuel, muslims from the caucasus and central asia have and continue to do deadly terrorist attacks inside Russia for a long time now, and many russians (in the ethnic sense) feel no sympathy or reason to be courteous to muslims, their "own" or otherwise.

to add more context on whether or not this is influenced by local culture in Russia that he may or may not be a part of, that's a traditional indian dress that the woman is wearing lol

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/sheldon-kennedy-jets-meeting-1.6238085

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I'm glad the Jets saw the need to do this. Even if it's performative. I'll take perfomative decency over sweeping it under the rug 10/10 times

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I think Chipman is genuine in what he says he plans to do. But I don't know him personally so who knows.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I love that even Patrick Kane realized how dumb his statement was and apologized later for it, while Jonathan “mystery illness that has same symptoms as covid” Toews has no idea what an rear end in a top hat he sounded like

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/range_hockey/status/1456714501013786630?s=21

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
it took me way too long to figure out what was going on in that chart

e: wrong thread prob.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh goddamn it lmao I was wondering where I’d posted it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

I love that even Patrick Kane realized how dumb his statement was and apologized later for it, while Jonathan “mystery illness that has same symptoms as covid” Toews has no idea what an rear end in a top hat he sounded like

Toews has always come across as a bit of an rear end in a top hat with the media so that's not terribly surprising.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Well, Pat's probably done a lot more public apologizing...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Well, Pat's probably done a lot more public apologizing...

His mom probably called him up and corrected him.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1457813381570777099?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1457868880978841601

it's as crushing as you think it is

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1457879397785034759

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I hope both Beach and John Doe 2 get huge settlements from the Hawks and the NHL

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd rather someone go to jail because no one on the team or in the league is doing anything serious about fixing the problems. It's still just weather the storm and hope it goes away mode for them.

But a boomer goes to jail? That might get noticed enough to start change.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

I'd rather someone go to jail because no one on the team or in the league is doing anything serious about fixing the problems. It's still just weather the storm and hope it goes away mode for them.

But a boomer goes to jail? That might get noticed enough to start change.

Until you remember that Graham James went to jail. And his sentence predates this crime.

I'm not suggesting Aldrich shouldn't go to jail, but jail isn't a deterrent for predators like him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aldrich has already been in jail. Not enough of it but he got some.

I'm talking jail for someone in the Blackhawks leadership that never reported to the police. I don't know what the arrest would be for but it feels like their negligence deserves some serious punishment.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm hoping for both jail time AND huge cash settlements.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The real twist is when someone talks to Aldrich and he reveals how much the Hawks covered for him

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Now I've watched/listened to this. It's rough going.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MikeDeFabo/status/1458083141155950592?s=20

Pens reached a settlement with the Skaldes.

Bill "let's cover this rape up quietly" Guerin is probably still gonna be team USA's next GM now that Bowman is out though.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1458096068642721799?s=20

Oh yes I'm sure the Blackhawks will handle this perfectly.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Why is it so hard for the NHL to step up and help

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Foehammer007 posted:

Why is it so hard for the NHL to step up and help

Because they're still living in the 70's and think these kids need to suck it up and be tough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All that is true, but the more pertinent reason is doubtless that their lawyers advised them not to do anything that might carry the slightest tinge of accepting liability

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

All that is true, but the more pertinent reason is doubtless that their lawyers advised them not to do anything that might carry the slightest tinge of accepting liability

Bettman is/was a lawyer too so likely anything he does will be filtered first through shifting liability

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they were decent humans they would accept liability and use it to trigger real change in the league.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

If they were decent humans

Luckily we have all of recorded history to disabuse us of that notion.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

When you didn't think it could get worse

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/1458162867656486913

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
This league is disgusting

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/1458198846035533827?s=20

sleep with the vicious posted:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
The National Hockey League of sex predators

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeDeFabo/status/1458083141155950592?s=20

Pens reached a settlement with the Skaldes.

Bill "let's cover this rape up quietly" Guerin is probably still gonna be team USA's next GM now that Bowman is out though.

While Im glad taking this public got the Pens to stop fighting it, I also cant help but feel sad since this is exactly how the league as a whole wants these handled. Quietly behind closed doors so that nothing has to change.

sleep with the vicious posted:

I am very much at the point where I might just skip this season as a whole. Its clear this is a league wide issue at this point and its going to take something massive like one of these assholes actually seeing jail time for anything to change. :smith:

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I know I'm no where near the target audience for the NHL, but as an old white dude that has a couple of knock-off Blackhawk jerseys (Sopel and Saad) I really have no interest in watch another NHL game in person or on NBCSN (or whatever). This is all just an embarrassment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Murray's being investigated instead of being allowed to quietly resign. That's a positive step at least.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

grack posted:

Murray's being investigated instead of being allowed to quietly resign. That's a positive step at least.

Or they're announcing an investigation so they can say they are investigating as he steps aside. Then whenever anyone asks they'll say they're investigating. Then they'll say their investigation is complete on a Friday in August with a press release that says internal policies have been updated in response to the situation without ever disclosing what happened.

Or the investigation will still be happening in three years.

This might not be the situation this time, but it is very in line with past behaviors.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Anaheim did state that they engaged an external law firm to conduct the investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I missed it , what did the Ducks GM do ?