Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw the words “mental warfare” used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Duckman2008 posted:

I missed it , what did the Ducks GM do ?

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-place-evpgeneral-manager-bob-murray-on-administrative-leave/c-327753662

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I missed it , what did the Ducks GM do ?

Mike Babcock 2.0

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cartoon Man posted:

Mike Babcock 2.0

More like Hextall 2.0

Also apparently so bad that the law firm the Ducks hired to conduct the investigation said that Murray needed to be removed from his position immediately, even before the report was completed.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s good that he’s being investigated for Babcocking literally everybody in the Ducks organization but the owner, but why wasn’t Bob Murray fired for being a lovely GM like 5 years ago lol

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

But a boomer goes to jail? That might get noticed enough to start change.

What do you think NHL owners care more about? Some disposable employee going to jail or paying millions of dollars?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/1458595743095132162

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/emilymkaplan/status/1458597494666022913?s=20

Speaking up is so important.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
The Blackhawks lawyers are still playing hardball with Kyle Beach and John Doe 2. Asking to see John Doe 2's medical records and school transcripts. I really don't understand how they aren't just handing over a blank cheque to both of them.

Koth fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 13, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Koth posted:

The Blackhawks lawyers are still playing hardball with Kyle Beach and John Doe 2. Asking to see John Doe 2's medical records and school transcripts. I really don't understand how they aren't just handing over over blank cheque to both of them.

The team is run and owned by monsters who just do not give a gently caress. :smith:

The NHL and NHLPA failing to back up the victims and force the team to start complying is what really scares me though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://apnews.com/article/sports-massachusetts-hockey-hazing-rituals-race-and-ethnicity-f52bcfa76092517c3a2cb37034974133

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/10/1054175435/massachusetts-high-school-hockey-team-is-accused-of-hazing-and-racist-incidents

There’s some extremely awful things described in there, be warned before you click. High school hazing and racism at its worst…

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 14, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Without trying to suggest that the Blackhawks should get less heat, it's starting to feel like this thread should be less about them and more a dumping ground for the systemic issues in hockey. Because goddamn it's looking like it's pretty horrible in all leagues at all levels.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This honestly doesn't surprise me. Having worked in Minnesota high schools for multiple years all I can say is that hockey players at schools where the sport is popular frequently are A) real meatheads and B) do real stupid/disgusting poo poo.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

It’s almost like jock culture is incredibly toxic and needs to be addressed at every level of sport, starting when kids are toddlers

I definitely teach my kids that the “boys will be boys” stuff is complete bullshit and that they should never participate in or enable that behaviour

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Koth posted:

The Blackhawks lawyers are still playing hardball with Kyle Beach and John Doe 2. Asking to see John Doe 2's medical records and school transcripts. I really don't understand how they aren't just handing over a blank cheque to both of them.

They are definitely soulless monsters, but it also shows how dumb they are. You're billionaires. Just write a big check to make it go away. Every other league would have done this.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

They didn’t become billionaires by writing cheques.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

https://theathletic.com/news/ex-ahl-coach-clark-donatelli-indicted-in-rhode-island-on-4-counts-of-sexual-assault/apd6VBrQ3zWn/

Criminal charges. I'm assuming the Pens settled because they knew it was only going to get worse.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Number19 posted:

It’s almost like jock culture is incredibly toxic and needs to be addressed at every level of sport, starting when kids are toddlers

I definitely teach my kids that the “boys will be boys” stuff is complete bullshit and that they should never participate in or enable that behaviour

10000%

Don't teach your kids this poo poo and they won't perpetuate it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately the parents are just as bad as the kids, waving it away with a "lol boys will be boys" disclaimer. It's up to the leagues to unequivocally reject that poo poo when it's found.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1466530167744974849?s=20

gently caress right off.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Will be interesting to see if the media still have interest in this or if it’s already last months news. There should be universal outrage over this move.

I think the correct term in these cases is ‘’model litigant’ where the organisation that admitted they hosed up commit to going through the legal/compensation process in as non combative as possible process. That’s clearly not happening here..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Illinois passed the elimination of the statute of limitations on sexual assault in 2020. Prior to that it was ten years to file.

I'm no lawyer so I'm not sure how their argument works, but my interpretation is that Kyle's complaint is still valid and if that's the Blackhawk's only defense they're hosed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

Illinois passed the elimination of the statute of limitations on sexual assault in 2020. Prior to that it was ten years to file.

I'm no lawyer so I'm not sure how their argument works, but my interpretation is that Kyle's complaint is still valid and if that's the Blackhawk's only defense they're hosed.

It's an extension of expost facto laws: IE, you have to use the law as it was at the time of the wrong doing and not how it is today.
But it's exceedingly gross because they were already told to settle by the independent review because holy poo poo what the gently caress is wrong with you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But they removed the statue of limitations before the statute of limitations on his assault expired. The law went into effect January 1 2020 and Beach was assaulted around April 2010.

Slam dunk in my book. :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

But they removed the statue of limitations before the statute of limitations on his assault expired. The law went into effect January 1 2020 and Beach was assaulted around April 2010.

Slam dunk in my book. :colbert:

INAL I hope so! Are the Bulls exciting? I'm rapidly running out of sports to watch and the only tribalism I can get these days is in Magic: the Gathering.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HootTheOwl posted:

INAL I hope so! Are the Bulls exciting?

Unexpectedly good right now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/walsha/status/1469353141644578818?s=20

Yo, gently caress the nhl

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The one and only thing the NHL has any interest in learning from this is how better to cover their own asses and limit financial liability in the future.

"Kyle Beach scandal" gently caress right off, the guy was systematically abused and raped and the Blackhawks and the league office did absolutely everything they could to cover it up and protect the horrific waste of oxygen that did it to him and others. Can't actually type that out though or I'll lose ~my access~

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 11, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Blackhawks settled with Beach

https://www.tsn.ca/kyle-beach-chicago-blackhawks-reach-confidential-settlement-1.1735267

I hope the cheque they had to write was enormous.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Well that's that now

Nothing gonna change

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well hopefully Beach gets the closure he needs and if he does that's a positive result, but yeah, him winning a trial would have been really important for the league in general.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Well hopefully Beach gets the closure he needs and if he does that's a positive result, but yeah, him winning a trial would have been really important for the league in general.

Do you ever get closure with something like this? He probably will carry it for the rest of his life unfortunately. Hopefully he's at least set up financially now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I cannot imagine Beach ever gets full closure although frankly in a situation like this I'm not sure there's any realistic result that would give victims full closure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I never blame a victim for taking a settlement instead of going to trial and having your name smeared through the mud by scummy lawyers. To say nothing of the awful blog posts and hot takes that would obsess over every second of the trial.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Do you ever get closure with something like this? He probably will carry it for the rest of his life unfortunately. Hopefully he's at least set up financially now.

No, not really. I don't blame Beach at all for taking a settlement, either. Financial security is just one less thing he has to worry about.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Also part of the impact on his life was the end of his career. So the money may not help with the emotional/mental health aspects of what happened. But at least it compensates for the impact on his career, in terms of financial earnings

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

grack posted:

No, not really. I don't blame Beach at all for taking a settlement, either. Financial security is just one less thing he has to worry about.

Yeah, it’s not like he was a star that made enough to not have to worry about money. The AHL side of an ELC and playing in Europe is enough to make a living, but that’s not going to last forever and he’d be going into the workforce in his mid-30s with no education or practical job experience.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Cartoon Man posted:

To say nothing of the awful blog posts and hot takes that would obsess over every second of the trial.
Mostly this, yeah. Anecdotal but I feel like we're on an island here on SA when it comes to not cheerleading malicious sports organizations, or telling people to toughen up when they've been abused, so I don't blame Beach one bit for taking what is hopefully a chunk of financial stability and running away from the inevitability of having even more abuse thrown his way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/marklazerus/status/1489045569066745857?s=21

Wirtz is a total piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The video is somehow worse.

https://twitter.com/WallMaz35/status/1489037938092646402