Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

But yeah, point well taken. If you just need an email machine for memaw hit up Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, etc. and see if you can get last year's model for cheap. Sub-$700 it's a no brainer in my book.

I would suggest getting memaw a tablet.

Bumhead posted:

The Fallout 4 update is live and, for what it matters, the Steam page has now updated to Deck Verified.
Oh that's cool. What changed to make it verified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Heran Bago posted:

I don't think we know for certain. It could be as little as making previously touch/M&KB elements - like the launcher that BGS games always have - controller compatible. Personally I'm curious if there are any other optomisations in terms of the general Steam Deck experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bethesda... optimisations...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Heran Bago posted:

I would suggest getting memaw a tablet.

From personal experience the strong integration between laptop, tablet, and phone for poo poo like photos etc. is a loving godsend specifically with elderly people who are more interested in texting pics of their grandkids than anything else. The user friendly and braindead simple cloud backup is also really nice.

I mean, yeah, if your use case is fine with a cheap Android tablet you do you. I've just had to set this poo poo up for a bunch of elderly family members in the past and the tl;dr is that spending an extra $1k across a few devices can really, really simplify life down the road.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have windows partitioned on my MacBook so I can fiddle with files on my Quest 3, I use it a few times a month.

Seems like every loving time it has an update that takes forever. Every loving time it begs me to connect to OneDrive, every loving time it's popping up about something.

My MacBook just turns on and doesn't bother me about anything. Windows is so loving tedious now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

unlock your onedrive vault!!!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

bethesda... optimisations...

lol, I know I laughed when I said it.

Honestly what I'm really here for is how hilariously everything breaks as a result of this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beastie posted:

My MacBook just turns on and doesn't bother me about anything. Windows is so loving tedious now.

Yeah this is honestly what I like most about MacOS, it leaves me the gently caress alone and doesn't bug me about Office 365 and Copilot on startup every 2 weeks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

History Comes Inside! posted:

I dabbled with this and it is unfortunately still not the year of the Linux desktop.

Hopefully someday soon. I have a lot of regret finally updating to Windows 11. My work laptop updated and I was doing ok for a couple months so I thought it was time. Nope, it's all worse with no gain.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Windows 11 is fine

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Suburban Dad posted:

Hopefully someday soon. I have a lot of regret finally updating to Windows 11. My work laptop updated and I was doing ok for a couple months so I thought it was time. Nope, it's all worse with no gain.

literal Rorschach types looking down and whispering "no." as Windows users cry out for the Linux Desktop now that Linux has games :(

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm riding out a Windows 10 enterprise license from work 'til 2025 and then jumping fully over to Linux. Had a great experience with it on the desktop last year, but streaming from it to the Deck was a little jank so I ultimately moved back.

Using the Deck got me to try EndeavourOS which is just arch with QoL improvements baked in. Loved it. But I'm a tinkerer.\

CLAM DOWN posted:

Windows 11 is fine

, for the kind of people who tune out a beeping smoke detector in their home

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 25, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Windows 10 is perfectly fine for me tbh. What little I've used Apple's PC OS, I basically hated it. Admittedly that was several years ago using my brother's MacBook.

Once Win10 is no longer supported, I'll assess the state of gaming on Linux.

Currently, as awesome as Proton is, it's simply not a replacement for Windows. Too many games either don't work, or have a degraded experience.

I'd love to switch to Linux completely, there's a lot I like about it, but since my biggest PC use case is playing games, it just doesn't make sense for me to switch yet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly 11 has been fine for me.

Now, I spent a lot of time un-loving a bunch of dumb poo poo, including installing stuff to help unfuck it for me. For the most part it's just slightly fancier Windows 10 the way I've got it set up. So don't think I'm going to bat for Microsoft's changes, I loving hate my work laptop where I can't do any of this crap.

But if you want Windows 11 to not suck it doens't have to suck, you just have to work way too hard for it not to.

God I wish Linux was more viable for my random assortment of hardware. The last time I tried putting it on a partition to test drive it I had more or less the same driver bullshit go on as someone mentioned up thread and just threw in the towel. It reminded me of my hackentosh days and having to try and get hardware that met the still limited support that community had managed to cobble together.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a MacBook and I love it. Pretty overkill for what I use it for but it’s the most solid laptop I’ve ever owned. I specifically didn’t buy it for gaming, so I consider whatever compatible Steam games I have as a bonus. It is nice to see just how many new games are Mac compatible though. A lot of the bigger indie games usually get Mac versions. Just about every Devolver Digital release, Balatro, and even Baldur’s Gate 3.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Windows 11 hiding the useful poo poo in the right click menu behind having to click “show more” or shift-right click is really its most heinous crime.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

And fortunately one of the quickest to fix, assuming you don't mind registry poo poo. It's so asinine and I am thankful that I get to yell at the Windows engineering team a few times a year for work.

They never fix anything because of it, but it feels good.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 25, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Windows 11 hiding the useful poo poo in the right click menu behind having to click “show more” or shift-right click is really its most heinous crime.

Agreed, I dont understand this change.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wizard2 posted:

literal Rorschach types looking down and whispering "no." as Windows users cry out for the Linux Desktop now that Linux has games :(

I spent last week working on getting Arch set up on my laptop but the speakers don’t work unless I use somebody’s hacky script that enables them with crappy sound quality and potentially damages them lol

It’s always something

I said come in! posted:

Agreed, I dont understand this change.

Earlier Windows versions played fast and loose with the context menu integration and you could easily get into a state where some junky app made it take forever to load. They made this change to (mostly) separate the app-specific actions from common actions.

You might ask why they didn’t instead deliver a proper API so apps could integrate without causing these issues and, well,

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 25, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

For me it's killing the vertical task bar. I've been using it since xp I think. :(

I tried the patches that put it back in but it just made things wonky.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

Funny, using Linux on the deck for the first time ever has me considering changing my PC over from Windows. I didn't expect that but Windows seems to get worse every year.

I did this. My PC gaming is now done in Debian and if anything, performance is better because it's not running all the telemetry fart-counting poo poo to serve you ads that Windows does.

I started with Nobara but I didn't like the Fedora backend as much as the debian backend and I blamed an Intel wireless problem on the distro. I'd recommend giving Nobara a try!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i only play stupid poo poo like factory games, 4x trash, or mmo garbage and they all run better through dxvk than native lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Figure it's a bit of a longshot but since there's a COD sale going on, has anyone tried Black Ops 1 multiplayer on the deck? Feeling kind of nostalgic since it's been like 14 years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This will be the time for sure I’ll play through all of Fallout 4

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

tuyop posted:

I did this. My PC gaming is now done in Debian and if anything, performance is better because it's not running all the telemetry fart-counting poo poo to serve you ads that Windows does.

I started with Nobara but I didn't like the Fedora backend as much as the debian backend and I blamed an Intel wireless problem on the distro. I'd recommend giving Nobara a try!

You're using a bunch of words I don't understand, lol. I knew nothing of linux before the deck, and my knowledge has only very marginally increased since. At some point (if I get pissed enough at windows) I'll look into it further. It is good to hear that it's going well at least in your case. I don't play any of the online multiplayer games with heavy anticheat (that I know of) so I would think most things would be fine, just like the deck.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

FireWorksWell posted:

Figure it's a bit of a longshot but since there's a COD sale going on, has anyone tried Black Ops 1 multiplayer on the deck? Feeling kind of nostalgic since it's been like 14 years.

A notable issue with the older COD games is that there’s no aim assist.

I tried playing the old MW2 multiplayer on Deck and just found it a total nightmare.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Bumhead posted:

A notable issue with the older COD games is that there’s no aim assist.

I tried playing the old MW2 multiplayer on Deck and just found it a total nightmare.

Well that's a drat shame, old MW2 and BO1 were my favorites.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Suburban Dad posted:

You're using a bunch of words I don't understand, lol. I knew nothing of linux before the deck, and my knowledge has only very marginally increased since. At some point (if I get pissed enough at windows) I'll look into it further. It is good to hear that it's going well at least in your case. I don't play any of the online multiplayer games with heavy anticheat (that I know of) so I would think most things would be fine, just like the deck.

Anything that runs on the deck will run on a Linux computer (because it is one). I've been using Linux exclusively for the last 15 odd years and am always mystified when people say that it is not useable or not there yet. It is not the year of windows on the desktop imo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Subjunctive posted:

If you can find another laptop that’s as fast as an M3 Pro for half the price, please let me know.

Running what? A native arm program sure, but apparently running an x86 program kills all the benefits the apple CPUs have.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my experience with Desktop Mode on Steam Deck has been "this is similar enough to Windows that I actually understand less than if I were learning how to use an OS for the first time, which I can absolutely undo with a modicum of persistence, but Im also old and tired and burnt out from work"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

valve really needs to do something about work

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Super No Vacancy posted:

valve really needs to do something about work

yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

Running what? A native arm program sure, but apparently running an x86 program kills all the benefits the apple CPUs have.

I don't run anything CPU- or GPU-intensive that needs Rosetta, as far as I can tell, but Rosetta 2 is quite efficient if it came to that (which is why M1+Rosetta outperformed the top Mac Intel machines on x86 code at launch). Most popular Docker images are multi-arch now even, and I haven't run into a piece of Mac desktop software that wasn't in a long time.

What sort of things are you thinking of that suffer a lot under Rosetta 2? I understand it to be about a 30% for the worst cases, and there is a lot of headroom on those chips. I don't do any gaming on it, but Rosetta does support the 32-bit x86 instruction set apparently!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Fallout 4 update got verified because they removed the launcher but they didn’t replace the functionality lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Also it reintroduced the frame rate bug for the OLED

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Fallout 4 update got verified because they removed the launcher but they didn’t replace the functionality lmao

you gotta hand it to em

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well Fallout 4 is now on Geforce now, which is good. I dont know if you need mods to make it playable however!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is it because i just saw pcgamer say theres some bug that crashes rtx cards they didnt fix

:bethesda:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I played the now very much so ~Deck Verified~ Fallout 4 for one hour, on the Steam Deck!

even taking into account that this is indeed a game from 2015, after living in the world of Baldur's Gate 3 for months, the facial and body animations of Fallout 4 have me utterly shaken in a way I was completely unprepared for :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wizard2 posted:

I played the now very much so ~Deck Verified~ Fallout 4 for one hour, on the Steam Deck!

even taking into account that this is indeed a game from 2015, after living in the world of Baldur's Gate 3 for months, the facial and body animations of Fallout 4 have me utterly shaken in a way I was completely unprepared for :whitewater:

Just imagine they are all synths.