Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Verilasa “Veri” Qvalitris

"Sure I do!" Veri says excitedly. "How have you been? How'd you end up here??" she asks in a bubbly tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu

"Itiltu a soldier knows when to push back against what a superior officer says, this situation is not one where that would be useful for us to do so" Dralvas says ignoring the insult so as to keep the meeting as civil as it started.

Soldiering (Skilled): 1d6 6

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Veri: Penelope and SEBASTIAN depart in the truck with the steer. Illiris pulls you around the side of the building to one of the seating awnings by the nice part of the garden, away from the loud party, busy kitchen and the stink of four big blue bovines.

: "I'm great! I wanna ask you the same.. I thought you'd be hitting it big in Imperium tech. They can't get enough new robotics." She runs a hand through her hair and chuckles self-conciously, reflected in a bit of concern on her face. "Ah, I thought it'd be.. well, my best shot. When mom passed on and dad had just retired we didn't have much keeping us in the home galaxy. This was a really nice career move for me.. Gulgos does a lot of "organics" stuff but they need tech to refine it and keep their critters under control." She peers over her shoulder and smiles at the razor-wire fencing and the big blues in it, then looks back to you, grinning. "They're calling them Muffalos. Nomadic grazers, not many natural predators, ignore most bad conditions and weather. I think they're the first domestication prospect we've really got.. we're gonna land soon, Veri. I can feel it!"

---

Dralvas: Adopting a stance of dignified imperviousness you weather Itiltu's outrage calmly.

quote:

sathzur: Probably improve their relationship towards being more friendly

Add "Clan Ammetu Elder (Connections)" to your Character Sheet. Dralvas' conduct and station makes him a respected head of the clan. They're a bit small but they are the whole of the Inmutash population on the ship.

: They hesitate. "Haaaaah." A sigh. "Fine." The four of you draw upon a single piece of ceremonial parchment and apply personal clan-name seals to it, Hamami's distinct for being an expression of the Inmutash concept of zero, or absence. Itiltu addresses you before the others once it is done. "Please forgive my earlier words. This situation is.. very frustrating. And there is always the feeling in the air, that Vular naturally take advantage of any who they can."

: "Dralvas is too conscientious as a predator to be tricked."

... A mission swiftly accomplished! The rest of the day remains open to you until the Banquet, though delivering this notarized pledge to Mei will have to be done sometime today. You could spend the rest of your time as you see fit or see how the others are doing.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 11, 2022

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Master Lemais was not someone she had interacted with as much as her parents would have hoped. He was wise, educated, and above all of very good branch of the family.

He would be a prime person to seek out and see about moving forward. Get some support without being too much of a bother about it.

"To Master Lemais then." She said, walking down the streets.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

As Bella accompanies Reyla to meet the visitor, greens and yellows cascade up and down her suit, and her helmet often drifts to the left and right, the way it had on the street, when she might've been catching stray bits of thought, even though the halls are mostly empty now.

"Greetings, Scion Reyarch! An entirely clean bill of health indeed."
It seems as if Bella is going to go through the usual spiel of asking permission for psychic communication, but she pauses, mask slowly drifting to stare into the distance, then very abruptly the scintillating patterns and low tones--the bells overwhelmed by static--completely disappear from Reyla's awareness.

The mind flayer checks its little PDA, scrolling through messages and alerts, then focuses on Reyla and Karmine.
"Out of curiosity, has the entertainment for the banquet been handled? I've attended a few of these types of functions before, there's usually just a small group off to the side. They've always seemed very cursory yet also still meaningful from the impressions I gathered..."
It's very politely avoiding just saying 'drow get weird about tiny details.'
"With the restrictions on personnel for the journey and on awakening, though, I'm wondering whether there could have been complications regarding a narrow menu options and... very set loyalties."

Sabotaging the party by suborning the obligatory yet usually overlooked string quartet? In this house? It could happen...

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Reyla Ariness

Reyla offers a small, rare smile as she sees Karmine. She taps the side of her head, "Physical and psychological. If there's a roadblock remaining, it'll be political." As Bella theorizes about the issues that could arise at the party, Reyla offers a slow nod, "Hmm... this is very true. We could well see some minor sabotage. Either the entertainment, or the guest list..."

Still, if there is one thing that she's learned about proper festivities in the minor houses, it's that finding the right entertainment can provide cover for nominal enemies to attend without losing face. One cannot pass up the chance to be at a party with the latest craze, after all. Which... if she was remembering correctly, was a Svifneblin act. The inherent unnoticeability of the entertainers prevented them from disrupting the careful visual ambiance, while the resulting music shared just enough with its progenitors to accent whatever politicking was the night's order.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reyla, Bella: It is true that Mei has overlooked entertainment. Perhaps because in her eyes nothing worthwhile has ever been sung since she was young and all of the entertainers she knows are a lifetime away by FTL or confined to digital disks and closed door drinking sessions. It'd add to the banquet to get a quality group. Karmine closes in for a true cultural taboo, a rare bit of friendly greeting. She offers Reyla a little hug and a platonic kiss on either cheek.

: "I'm so glad!" She steps back. "Politics? A shame we can't just cut a few rivals down, most of the Ascended end up as war machines anyway.." Looking to Bella, Karmine raises her hand and smiles with the same good cheer the therapist is known for. "*Bing, Bong, Bing*, right?" She marks each tone of the bell with a little finger gesture and laughs. "It's nice to see you, Miss! Uhm, entertainment? I like Reyla's idea, though I saw Ser Ossughym playing with his moody friends in a park on my way.." She grins at Reyla. "Going into the commons to find that Svifneblin act sounds fun! Count me in!"

As the three of you plan your trip and depart the Enclave Building, you hear a decidedly awkward *"Ahem."* from a side alley on the streets.

: "Finally.. I've been looking for you all day!" A peculiar woman carrying a staff and dressed like the Gulgos survivalist hedge witch of the year catches up to you all. She bares eager faux-fangs as she beams at Reyla, a popular youth's fashion fad. "Reyla, darling, call me Evelyn. Evelyn of Faertala. I hear you're rather busy today."

Karmine shares a look with Reyla and Bella that is mostly bemused shock, but enough polite curiosity to not be alarmed.

---

Yvonnel: Following a quick railway ride you arrive at your home district.

House Faertala has arranged for the skies above their district to highlight and filter the otherworldly-looking energies of filtered stellar radiation, basically making the process the entire ship does visible at one part of it. A highly technical.. or not.. application of metamagical science, it's believed to actually be an oracular projection done by the astromancers, as it'd be easier to share an image then to constantly make part of the ship ethereal. However it is done the radiation is still masked and the entire district enjoys a beautiful aurora glow at all times, though the effect is dimmed to simulate a day-night cycle and maintain circadian rhythm for most inhabitants.

You head into one of the modern towers and can ignore the inquiries of the help. What a noble does is their business. Lemais is in his personal chambers and at his consent the House guard let you in.

: Lemais Faertala, Reyla's mentor and necromantic genius of the House. A brother of the family Matriarch. Though centuries old and likely to start showing it he is still a stunningly regal specimen. A few odd hound-like creatures without faces lounge around a circle of red-salted lines drawn around the center of the room where a strange combination of crude old-fashioned tech and a battered skeleton is suspended by display lines going up to the ceiling. Lemais is busy inside the circle inspecting the skeleton with a magnifying glass and a small hand-held analyzer, speaking as he works. None of the creatures stir at your entry. "Cousin. I trust you've brought something of interest to brighten my day, though I find you do so quite well yourself. Come, sit, make yourself at home. What is on your mind?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

A common banquet, of course, as sumptuous as it was, it was not among the best that SEBASTIAN has produced in his centuries of service, but it was still the best he could do in a limited ambient such as this ship and the few servitors and ingredients assigned to him. Due to his high standards, SEBASTIAN couldn't help but be disappointed at it, and hoping to remedy such a blunder, he would turn towards the preparation of the banquet, in specific, the setting of the tables, the order of arrival of the guests and whether the servants would be able to announce and tend to them correctly. Ah, how he wished there were valets and footmen there to make this an easier process!

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu

With the meeting over and done with, and much better than Dralvas had been hoping for they decide to take the pledge to Mei so as to free up the rest of the day until the banquet for whatever they wished to do.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

"Ah, yes! Feel free to call me Bella, or Bells on formal reporting. Unfortunately Illithid names aren't effectively verbalized, each individual's perception of the experience of any particular name's expression is colored by their own mindset."
It shuffles around with its PDA, humming a little bit as it leads them out of the enclave.
"I'll be happy to help however I can, although unfortunately I do not have tremendous experience arranging business deals. I also must apologize if I seem distracted, some of my focus is directed at an internal issue, and I'm finding I may be making statements of an inappropriately private... nature..."

It trails off as this new person shows up, then gives a look towards Reyla (and Karmine to an extent) vaguely of 'who the heck is this,' positioning itself slightly in between the pair and this Evelyn of Faertala.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Cpt. Penelope

Now that there was apparently distractions afoot, Penelope takes time to look around the manor and welp. Nope.

Salvaging to see what can be found around the place and...https://orokos.com/roll/908027And a whopping 1 when poking around the manor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

"Good day Master Lemais." She bowed politely, ignoring the odd rituals and the creepy dogs. "I'm sure you have heard about the upcoming ascension ritual?"

A great honor, to be sure. But it would bind whoever achieved that honor with even more responsibility.

"I've been tasked to gather opinions on the canidates by Lord Diluae." Well, to be exact she was told to help Mei'dai who in turn asked for her to butter them up. "I'm to understand that a student of yours, Reyla Ariness is one of these candidates?"

She examined his face for his reaction.

Cold Reading Result: 3

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Narinth dal Krodven

"That does sound like Ristel, and why I had expected him to let the drill go over time just so he could dress someone down in public," Narinth says as she considers what she saw of the manor grounds on the way in, and where she could best make an alternative exit. One thing certainly stood out. "I saw a large beast fenced in outside. Fill me in?"

Using my Guerrilla Tactics skill in a knowledge/expertise capacity to ask what I noticed about the security of the manor as I walked through it, particularly if there are any weaknesses I can exploit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yvonnel: Your Cold Reading is that Lemais is inclined to help Reyla but purely benevolent and sentimental gesture in Vular politics don't exist. If you lean on that for an easy backing for Reyla you'll be dragged into a debt of some sort, likely an owed favor of your own.

: "It's a bit off for Byrris to be asking now.. I'd thought Evelyn failed the psych exam." He withdraws from examining the skeleton and sets his tools aside, preparing wine glasses for the two of you. "Miss Ariness, then? She seems most likely to be accepted by our.. patrons. Her devotion has been answered and she lacks the stylish madness of the average aristocrat." He offers a glass of a chill red to Yvonnel. "You could tell Byrris that I support her decision either way and foresee her success, but perhaps you'd tell me what this is really about.. it is a poor day for the diplomatic dance." He peers to the skeleton for a moment and chuckles.

---

Narinth: Security seems particularly lax except for the front door, where Ristel and the honor guard will be. If you could clear the manor border walls that are fifteen feet tall you could just leave now.. the garden runs to them. The beast's pen is just a small fenced off part of that adjacent to the manor.

: Quarra laughs. "The muff? Lady Ebra-Krodven bought it as a pet. 'Er name is Bluebell and the lady is right soft on it. She made the fence herself so it's pretty solid.. but I guess the gate opens easily enough, eh?"

---

Penelope: You go on a little requisition adventure in the manor. A house of artisan craftsmen is sure to be full of useful tech and magical gear. Just when you think you've caught an opening into the manor's forge and armory by picking the lock you hear a distinctive electrical crackle. The smell of ionization in the air is a familiar phenomenon to long-time staff.

: Circa. Circa Ariness. The second daughter of the house and Reyla's older sister swears by Osyth in all things, not letting her own failure to be nominated for Ascension stop her from grafting magitech cybernetics into her torso and forearms for electrical projection. She's otherwise a very striking and statuesque Drow, a dazzling counterpart to Reyla's calm manner with an elegant set of luminous tattoos and a mixed rubber/metal-shard low-cut dress. "Kentuckyan! When you steal from the kitchen it is almost amusing to watch the antics of the drunkard unable to escape their base needs, but this is a bit beyond the pale!" She doesn't hesitate to kick Penelope in the back and into the door. "This rrrreeaaallly is too much! Was this the masterstroke of Krodven, to burden us with their trash!?"

It seems a proper moment to ponder if a culture encouraging their youth to grow up to be ambitious sociopaths is really a great idea. At least the girl with the staff seemed to be into trouble-making for fun. Circa isn't above banishing the help on a whim and if modern laws hadn't eclipsed cultural sensibilities then she'd probably execute them herself. "What are you going to do to apologize for this?"

---

SEBASTIAN, Dralvas: SEBASTIAN gains 1 use of an Advantage on a Social Skill Roll at the Banquet. This reflects understanding of who is attending and setting their table up to put them in a better mood.. but beware, it is impossible to satisfy all members of the neurotic Vular courts. You won't be able to pull this preparation and trick off again!

Having hit your quota of things to do you report into Mei.

: Alert and wide-eyed, Mei speaks to you in her office while ritualistically reassembling and cleaning her favorite sniper rifle. Jun-Jun has trotted off of the balcony stairs into the garden to sniff around and eventually do his business. "EXCELLENT! Your reliability is like a stone pillar, Scout Master. No House has ever been made great without the support of its members.. and don't let a few arrogant Drow pretend otherwise to your face.. hmph.."

The three of you can audibly hear electrical crackling, a loud impact and angry shouting in the hall. It is obvious it belongs to Mistress Circa and is not the first time you've ever experienced it. Mei sighs and pointedly focuses on polishing parts of the completed weapon. "... The feast is prepared, Clan Ammetu backs us. Did you visit Ossughym yet, butler? Reyla should be finished her examination by now.. hmm.." She checks her PDA and quickly coordinates the whole of the party with rapid-fire texts. If the brain is tech-illiterate, the fingers are not. "... Maybe you can calm Circa down, it might be one of your staff." She looks to SEBASTIAN with a bit of genuine sympathy.

Everyone: You're now updated on what the group has done. Delivery from Gulgos is done, Reyla's mental exam is done, Clan Ammetu meeting is done, Yvonnel is working on the Faertala meeting right now. SEBASTIAN still has the brick of letters for delivery as Ossughym. Narinth can tell everyone that the Ebra-Krodvens are at the lake. Bella can share her idea(and SEBASTIAN would likely realize) that entertainment hasn't been booked.

Evelyn's offers, Penelope's Meat Deal and Circa's current fury would only be known to those participating in them at the moment.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 11, 2022

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

The mind flayer's little device pings, and it glances down, then back up again.
"Pardon me."

It takes a few steps away, holding the device and apparently communing with it through technopathy. Or just manipulating it telekinetically. Or some kind of implant? There's the flickering of little holograms that shows it's writing out something.
First, relaying to Mei the clean bill of mental health, without mentioning the... presence.
Second, it goes over the issue of entertainment: the question of whether it has been booked, the possibility of the booked entertainment being... unreliable, very obliquely gesturing at sabotage, and then the suggestion of the svirfneblin craze as one possibility for a replacement, or for a booking at all.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

"HNNG." Penelope pulls herself upright and a an awful popping sound comes out of her spine. "Thanks, I think you fixed that crick. Thanks for agreeing to meet down here, its hard to arrange these RON-DAY-VOOS unless everyone else is somewhere, like, say a banquet. I don't want to keep you too long, but if you go back up there flushed and covered with arterial spray, the Help and guests are gonna think this is some weird oldschool spider priestess sex-murder thing and that wouldn't be good for the house right now. On the other hand, I'm assuming young lady has no escort to the banquet. Its great I showed up just in time then."

"As for my apology," Penelope tips the brim of the cap towards Circa. "You can wear the hat."

Trash talk to throw her off her game by turning this from me into her and me. Spending an ap for 2d6

3, success with cost

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Penelope: Being caught in the middle of likely theft by the boss would be the end of most employees. But not Captain Penelope. Opting for the angle of least expected resistance you attempt to seduce Circa.

: Reaching up to finish your gesture and to pull your hat off, Circa smiles indulgently for just a moment. Then she seizes your forearm, spins you and forces you back into the door, another automatic loss for your face. She pins the arm high into your back, trying to get another pop out of you. "I guess it can't be looks AND brains, Kentuckyan? Why would I give a gently caress about poor Reyla's big night!?" She kicks out the back of your knees and goes for a more dominant negotiating posture. "How about I accept your invitation and you'll jump when I command you to, hmm? I have some fun ideas for how to keep dinner lively!" As actually maiming you would kill the mood she finally relents and lets you go, tossing your cap on the ground. "Dress nicely."

Life would be dull if it were easy. You owe Circa a Favor. Considering her severe nature any Social/Mental Rolls against Circa will be with Disadvantage for Penelope and anyone who is seen associating with her.

There's still a bit of time for SEBASTIAN or Dralvas to interject or simply witness the scene but Circa will depart soon and Penelope is out of luck wrangling anything extra out of the Ariness Manor. Penelope still has her early basic cattle rustlin' tools and access to the hover-truck.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What was she supposed to say? She was just a middle woman! A proxy for the head of the house for their game.

But she knew that indeed things were never just done out of pure altruism. Even though he liked Reyla he wouldn't throw his support behind her for no reason.

"Yes it's tragic that she didn't make it." Not that Yvonnel cared that much about it. This was a job, and at this point she decided that honesty was the best policy. "I was sent out to probe about support for Lady Reyla. It's a bit of a chain of requests." She sat down and accepted the offered wine. Finally, something other than tea.

"Essentially I, and others, are thinking that if Lady Evelyn has not been able to pass today's exam then Lady Reyla is the next best pick for this honor. You taught her, so in a sense House Faertala is directly responsible for her knowledge and position now. It would be a mutually beneficial arrangement, and Lady Reyla will surely feel a debt of gratitude for your wise teaching."

There we go. Essentially he and the rest of the house get to share in the prestige as long as Reyla is able to succeed on the next set of trials.

Diplomacy Roll (With Advantage) Result: 5

She had a feeling that she was going to be used a a proxy for paying off some favor later, but she had heard good things about Master Lemais so hopefully this would end without her being in too much trouble.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2021

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"Not Ristel's? Unfortunate." Narinth replies with a minute but decidedly sinister smirk. "I've got some business with the lady, so I'll leave her pet alone to munch on its hay for now." With perimeter security so lax it would be trivial to escape the grounds even without a distraction. It was time to leave. "I better get going. No need to get you involved in this particular SNAFU. But thanks for the warning, Quarra." She reaches out with her hand and catches Quarra's in an arm wrestle handshake, muscles flexing. "Let's catch up soon."

After departing from Quarra, Narinth makes her way to the balcony she passed through earlier. She takes a quick look around to make sure no guards were watching, then drops down into the garden below and lines herself up perpendicular to the perimeter wall. She breaks out into a dead sprint, leaping and kicking off the fifteen foot wall as she reaches it and pulls herself up and over, dropping down on the other side.

Intent: Scale the wall.
Climbing (Unskilled): 1d6 4, Success with a Cost.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 16, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

"Head Butler." SEBASTIAN corrects Mei. The proper role should always be known and respected after all, it helps maintain the... hierarchy. SEBASTIAN considered himself as being up there after all, just slightly below the house members themselves, and he wasn't shy to try and make that known. Nevertheless, he would endure what he considered to be a a breach of hierarchy from a clear inferior such as Mei. The electrical noise, however, interrupted the two, a clear sign of a thunderbolt... Or the second Young Lady.

"It seems Madam Circa is displeased with something. I should indeed deal with it, lest she electrocutes a staff member on sight." The way he spoke of that was enough to let Mei know that his wouldn't be the first time it happened. With the letters still stored inside his body, SEBASTIAN would quickly to rush down and try to defuse the situation... Only to find it was already becoming calmer by itself. Still, it seemed that the grunt servant who knocked out the beast had returned, and she was the one who had been arguing with the Young Lady. Bowing generously towards the leaving noblewoman, the Butler would look down on Penelope on that uncomfortable position and looked directly at her, staring with his featureless face. "What. Have. You. Done."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

"I don't kiss and tell, SEBASTIAN, darling. I'll also be escorting Reyla's sister tonight so be sure everything is proper in that regards. I think my formal coat still has a laser hole in it. Or was it a rapier hole and a separate burn right on top of it? Anyways she's very, very excited about it."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

Oh goodness. How much he did held in contempt the organic desire of the flesh, how it made one lower their station. Alas, Lady Circa was what she was, and if she wanted a commoner, well, she wouldn't be the first. How he lamented the tale of previous house members whose lust led them to consort with commoners, foreigners and in one case, even a domesticated owlbear. Well, at the very least he thanked providence that Penelope wasn't as furry, feathery and prone to defecate on the floor. Nodding towards her, he would make his way towards delivering the Ossughym missive.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Veri

Doomykins posted:

Veri: Penelope and SEBASTIAN depart in the truck with the steer. Illiris pulls you around the side of the building to one of the seating awnings by the nice part of the garden, away from the loud party, busy kitchen and the stink of four big blue bovines.

: "I'm great! I wanna ask you the same.. I thought you'd be hitting it big in Imperium tech. They can't get enough new robotics." She runs a hand through her hair and chuckles self-conciously, reflected in a bit of concern on her face. "Ah, I thought it'd be.. well, my best shot. When mom passed on and dad had just retired we didn't have much keeping us in the home galaxy. This was a really nice career move for me.. Gulgos does a lot of "organics" stuff but they need tech to refine it and keep their critters under control." She peers over her shoulder and smiles at the razor-wire fencing and the big blues in it, then looks back to you, grinning. "They're calling them Muffalos. Nomadic grazers, not many natural predators, ignore most bad conditions and weather. I think they're the first domestication prospect we've really got.. we're gonna land soon, Veri. I can feel it!"

"Honestly? I got tired of making things for senseless killing. Figured it'd be better to do something to help foster life, even if it is just protecting a nascent colony in another galaxy..." she trails off for a second, pondering how much to say before changing the subject. "They're so cute! It's a shame they're a food source," she ponders, frowning. "I can't wait to land and start doing things though! Waiting around on this ship is killing me!"

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu

Curious of what had set off Lady Circa badly enough for her to begin discharging electricity Dralvas hesitates a moment before following Sebastian and is just in time to see him getting in the face of Penelope before heading off to deliver the letters.

"Seems you got on the bad side of the butler and Lady Circa" Dralvas says leaning against a wall "but by the absence of electrical burns you managed to calm her down"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

This hallway had gotten high traffic all of a sudden. Penelope kips up onto her feet with more flair than needed and readjusts The Hat. "The secret is to do what no one expects someone to do. I offered to be her friend and things got better."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

A mite scandalously, Reyla returns the hug to Karmine. She wasn't quite as forward with physical displays of friendship, of course, but the number of people she felt like she could truly count on was definitely within the single-digit range. Karmine was one of this elite group. Bella's clarifications and explanations receive a firm nod, as who can't imagine being consistently distracted with internal matters and worrying over making inappropriately personal statements? It was practically the Drow national pastime.

Of course, the arrival of Evelyn forces a resumption of a very professional, cold facade. Reyla looks the newcomer up and down, finally asking, "I see... and why, may I ask, are you looking for me?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reyla, Bella: Karmine clasps her hands behind her back and looks over the interloper, cutting her off curtly.

: "I'd guess Eve-y is finally committing to burning down the therapist's offices for.. well.. excuse me."

: Evelyn flicks her staff dismissively in Karmine's direction, keeping her gaze fixated on Reyla. "I guess you've had a better go of things with the brain-suckers than I did.. anyway! As a fellow noble of proper standing I thought you'd want to hear this limited-time offer straight from me. We could form a little power bloc and go together... sorry, no minors." She waves Karmine off again, still not looking at her.

: The slight against House Reyarch lands true. Karmine grits her teeth. "Why not spit it out already?"

: "I've some private intel that the Empress is out on a private little visit today.. something at a public school, how dreadful.. ahahaha.. but we could arrange to coincidentally meet her, yes? I think they'd believe you have a few bastards." One more wave at Karmine.

: Seeking a rock in the storm Karmine tugs at Reyla's forearm. "Just ignore her, will you?"

... But it's hard to ignore something like direct endorsement by House Tulen. Although Lyseithe is still a bit young to directly rule her word carries the most clout in the Council of Tulen and the Major Houses.

---

Narinth: Your body protests ever so slightly due to the month of unusually soft living and the residual effects of awakening. Worse then all that is that at the apex of your leap and climb you remember that Omamyn gave you a glass bottle. You tuck and roll on the way down for a successful landing but clip more of your back then you'd like and knock your breath out. Granted.. it's a reckless distance to be throwing yourself up and down but it's embarrassing to you to be Winded so. This will last until you get a good night's rest. (Although Winded is listed as something you can recover from with brief rest I'll adjust timings if players are moving in a way that'd totally invalidate the Cost. It'd be trivial for Narinth to rest 10 minutes before anything pressing happens right now!)

You're briefed on the status of the others via PDA. Maybe calling in some more talking heads for meeting the Ebra-Krodvens would be handy.

---

Yvonnel: The wine has the same strong flavor and spicing associated with popular fiction tropes of masking poison. A great tasting vintage, and practical too.

: Lemais drinks from his own cup and laughs. "Pragmatism as the moral lighthouse guiding the culture as per usual, is it? Not that I can blame you, forward as you are. There's no room for Evelyn's.. tendencies in that consideration. And it almost seems too good to be true.. to restore a measure of legitimacy to Faertala and to stand beside a new powerful House." He sets the glass down and waggles a finger in a defiant point. "Seeing as young miss Ariness and I already know one another.. hmm.."

He smiles politely. "I will grant Reyla my support but you understand that I will be weathering the temper of my sister for it, yes? Still.. this is within my power to do. Likewise, do you know that we're to be cleared for planetfall soon, cousin? There are several strange matters upon that rock.. we're calling it Is'tro'tania, or Tania for a short classification. Sniffed it from some transmissions among the galactic locals. Said to be a source of several strange phenomenon, some folk lore about curses. Almost as exciting as home before space travel, I take it. And I have my eyes on one of those phenomenon.. so don't be surprised if I need your help to isolate it sometime." He heads into his study as one of the dog creatures stalks over on two hind legs and the tail as a third, moving unnaturally to gather, cleanse and return the wine glass to the liquor cabinet. It returns to lounging as Lemais returns, trading Yvonnel a sealed envelope for her owed Favor later.

You can keep chatting with Lemais. Your PDA informs you of the progress of the rest of the group and that they're still to meet with the Ebra-Krodvens or to book entertainment for the banquet. As a member of her House you also suspect that Evelyn is perpetually up to something.

---

Veri: Illiris nods.

: "Yeah, I was arguing that we should do something else for renewable food and harvest their shed fur or something.. but I guess it's a little early for vegan living arguments before we've even landed." She grins. "Well, if you're bored, there's a little bit left to do around here for the day.. and then I'm free! We could hang out!"

Seems a pleasant way to spend another day in locked down paradise. (On the off-chance Penelope and Veri would agree to work together on the Illegal Meat Vendor deal, Veri could risk taking actions to make it easier to rustle cattle off House Gulgos property later.. some electrical sabotage. If Veri is not interest then that's that here.)

---

SEBASTIAN: You take the railway and depart for the Ossughym District, which is really just the nicest part of the Sominaia Commons.

There is a massive minority of people on the Sominaia who are not employed by or members of the endless House politics. A few unaffiliated groups large enough to be small clans or tribes, many extended families, people with more of a loner edge who figured a different life was worth the gamble. The ship was designed to accommodate an internal city, being the size of a larger one folded and stacked on itself and all.

You could deposit Mei's letters at the Ossughym Central Mail Station. There is a perilously long line for it though. It is being serenaded by a conspicuously high-end troupe of musicians dressed nicer then street performers should be. They are decently talented as well, raising the spirits of the line. There seems to be an empty teller station out of six available and the other five are going serviceably, if not very quickly.

---

Dralvas, Penelope: You've still got a fair amount of time before the banquet. Anything on your mind? The ship does have places to spend money and so on, as well as the rest of the tasks left to you and the others(and you could accompany them, moving to join their scenes), or your own sordid deals.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 13, 2022

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

Narinth dusts herself off after her landing mishap and walks away from the manor with a scowl on her face, annoyed at how weak her body had become. She brings up her PDA and sends a message to Mei and the others as she heads for the lake: "Update: Have spoken with Omamyn Ebra-Krodven and gained his support. Also learned that his wife and son are out on the lake. En route to speak with them now."

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
Dralvas Ammetu

Hearing the quiet beep of their PDA receiving a message Dralvas pulls it out of the pouch it was sequestered in and after reading the message sends one back saying: "I will join you there, as I have no other tasks between now and the banquet that could possibly require me"

Turning to Penelope Dralvas says as they walk away to head for the lake where the Ebra-Krodven family minus the father are having an outing, "I'll leave you to your little affair with the lady, but do try not to embarass Lady Reyla, she is the one we're providing help to"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

There's a moment of hesitation.

Reyla knows that morsels like that don't come free, much less when they're from a source as notoriously prone to stirring the pot as Evelyn, but... even so, there's temptation. Less than there might have been if she'd been a mite more polite to Karmine, to be sure, but it's there. She gives Evelyn a searching look, "And what do you get out of all this? Face time with the Empress? Someone to distract her security detail?"

What does Reyla sense about this 'opportunity' through her skill in House Politics?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reyla, Bella: Your knowledge of House Politics tells you that the encounter isn't guaranteed to go well. Earning the irritation of the Empress is a pretty heavy burden. Evelyn likely got information of the closely guarded private security details through unsavory means. Then again it wouldn't be in her or Faertala's best interests to engage in old fashioned backdoor backstabbing politicking.

: "I would greatly appreciate a chance to argue my case, yes. And I think our Houses are likely to interweave quite a bit in the future.. you and my uncle have a lot in common and I just so happen to know quite a bit about certain goings-on planet-side, the latest facet of his research. But what I know isn't for wallflowers and cowards.. so shall we go do something grand?" Eve wrings her staff with both hands, practically cackling under her breath.

Even Karmine is reconsidering the offer, despite the source.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

: "Excuse me."

The mind flayer's gotten rather close, and is focusing on Evelyn.
"I must apologize on behalf of the enclave for your previous negative experience. We maintain contracts with several independent providers of psychic realignment, as it is understood many are uncomfortable with the historical context of the Illithid, and all types of psychic therapy can heavily rely on the mindset of the provider and subject. Different providers are needed for different situations. If you are experiencing continued negative aftereffects, we have a responsibility to connect you with a third party to arrange further realignment, one prepared to account for all considerations of internal matters and possible political capture to best find a provider appropriate to your specific situation. One of our secretaries will contract your personal staff to discuss the best way to proceed."

It waits a beat, then turns to Karmine.
"I've been attached to Scion Ariness for the near future to aid in her endeavors, but the possible consequences for the enclave of deliberately interfering with the Empress's schedule are unacceptable. It seems arranging for entertainment for the banquet is still a concern. Could I ask for your aid and expertise in choosing a group and working out the particulars, or were you planning on accompanying these two?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reyla, Bella:

: Raising an closed hand to interrupt Bella, Evelyn makes a breathless *bwooosh* noise as she opens her hand into a spread palm, pantomiming something blowing up. "Please stop and leave some words for the rest of the ship. This is my third party!"

: Karmine discreetly "whispers" to Bella and Reyla by sharing Bella's telepathy. <"I'm not letting Reyla go alone with this one. I haven't heard many good bands but Ossughym has a lot of their members associated with their bardic college. Good luck with that, Bella.">

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

There's a long pause as the mind flayer stares at Evelyn, where it would probably huff or grumble or something. It seems to be keeping a tight grip on its vocoder. Either way, it nods to Reyla and Karmine, gives a polite "excuse me, good luck," and turns to take a brisk walk to the Ossughym District.

Or perhaps a taxi?

---

Once there, the mind flayer tries to orient itself, not terribly familiar with the buildings and anticipating a very awkward conversation if it ever does manage to even talk with someone at the college. Luckily it spots the glorious luster of the butler, SEBASTIAN XII, from earlier, and tries to casually hurry to meet him.

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 17, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

Hmph, nothing but gutter trash who know not their station in life. How vexing it was that he was being sent to a place like this. Yet, as a robot that is highly interested in order and lawfulness, SEBASTIAN would wait in line, listening to the song with some annoyance. It was definitely some newfangled noise that only whippersnappers like, nothing like the old serenades from his time, those had lyricism and artistry behind it and not just a meaningless pursuit of what was cool or not. Blinded by his annoyance, he would notice the empty teller machine and observe it from his spot, wondering what exactly was wrong with it that nobody would use it...

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

The mind flayer from earlier seems to subtly hurry over to accost SEBASTIAN, seeming to look back and forth, attention split between the massive crowd of irritated letter-bearers and the fancy band. It stops at a somewhat polite distance, near the line but not exactly in it, that sort of awkward position of chatting with an acquaintance where it's clear that they're not really waiting themselves, usually employed when the acquaintance is already deep in the line and you don't want to be accused of cutting.

"Greetings, esteemed Head Butler! How are your endeavors? I noted that the dishes have been fully arranged."
It seems reasonably cheerful, hands folded and posture respectfully neutral.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

Ah... The Illithid. While the other organics seemed to fear their presence, SEBASTIAN always found them to be pleasant and polite, Bella most of all. Eccentricity aside, they did had some sort of graceful poise and always had her etiquette and professionalism on point, which is more than one could ask of other pitiful wretches. "Ah, the mind repairer. A pleasant day to you as well. Indeed, I have taken care of everything regarding the banquet preparation, although I need to send these letters quickly before the actual event starts... I am wondering whether that empty booth is broken, perhaps were I to repair it, it should send the letters correctly..."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Reyla Ariness

As Bella exits, Reyla lets out a small sigh. She had a bad feeling about this... but there was no risk without reward. She says, "Fine, we'll need to ensure our stories are straight beforehand, but we can handle that en route."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yvonnel, Penelope: (Feel free to join either of the three remaining scenes. Or to pioneer your own short antics before the banquet.)

---

SEBASTIAN, Bella: To challenge the lines, to defeat bureaucracy.. no one has ever tried it.. and succeeded, at least. The machine looms over you and the rest of the line ominously, the absence of its operator creating a sinister void that threatens to engulf the room. You could be here all day... Christine could be in charge of setting the tables and serving the first course... greeting all of the guests... serving Master Ariness himself...

And then the unthinkable happens.

The fifth booth is closed as the server puts up a "Gone To Lunch" sign, happily bidding farewell to their last customer after sorting their mail. They depart with the casual, carefree step of one without any shame.

Bella might appreciate the skill of the bardic troupe outside more than SEBASTIAN does. It is a catchy old-style bit of music.

---

Reyla: Karmine grimaces as Evelyn beams.

: "Great! I'm sure we'll be the best of friends.. just you wait and see.." She turns and raises her staff forward as a glorious shining beacon. "Follow me, ladies." Evelyn leads you and Karmine to the railway. It's possible via PDA texting to have others meet you at the destination.

: On the way in the half-empty car the three of you are sitting in Karmine starts up a fresh conversation. "I can guess why you want it, Eve, but I'm curious about you, Reyla... is this, ah, what you're really after? The Ascension, I mean." She laces her fingers together and rests them in her lap. ".. Well obviously you want to raise the esteem of your House, but, ah.. well, it's a bit intimidating to me. The ritual."

: "Hah! It's great. Everyone who has done it is mostly consistent.. they receive direct blessings. What's not to like?"

: "Just like that, a little one on one time with a God?"

---

Narinth, Dralvas: Narinth heads for and Dralvas meets her at ship's own internal lake. Though not the full sized of the greatest lakes.. it's certainly an immense localized body of water!

As a man-made structure it has a significant number of additional stone and/or metallic railings and travel pieces along the rim. There are several signs and a holographic info booth every quarter mile or so where SomAI dons a tasteful spiked one-piece and preaches the importance of swimming safety. There's also separate warnings at the end of the long walk rails that natural predators reside in the center of the lake. Though they're as unlikely to attack humanoids as most natural critters it isn't impossible. Thus the laws of the lake are much like an actual one: injury and death are at your own risk. At least SomAI can react to the vast majority of drowners with little drones.

Narinth and Dralvas are able to meet up. The lake shores and many of the rails are fairly crowded with licensed fishers casting lines or recreational swimmers staying near the shore. A few celebrations, parties and barbeques. It's quite a crowd to find two people in, though...

: "Though it is likely Mrs Ebra-Krodven would desire privacy, she and her son are recognizably physically altered. Please exercise the utmost polite manner:" You expect Arin to repeat Mei's self-serving warnings. "As a Second Generation, Mrs Ebra-Krodven is a registered WMD of the Vular Imperium."

Well! Adil has horns, the mother is a bit dangerous. If you can just get eyes on them the rest should be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

: "A tricky situation."

The mind flayer leans slightly to the side, transmitting a brief comms handshake request to open a private voice line.
"I still struggle occasionally with drow culture. Is this meant to be an unusually large and extended piece of performance art? Some kind of commentary on the inherent futility and meaninglessness of life? The capriciousness of those in power and the unjustified yet ultimately inviolable hierarchy that allows them to inflict harm on the lower rungs of society? Performance art that plucks many of those with power out of the hierarchy, to have them briefly experience the frustrations inherent to the lives of many, of those that they suppress themselves, so that they may better understand and appreciate their good fortune?"

There's a pause.
"Or is this just how this facility is run? As I mentioned, I still struggle with drow culture, assuming that everything must be couched in deep layers of meaning, and be highly deliberate. I have sometimes embarrassed myself obsequiously replicating pointless gestures and habits. Perhaps there is a deeper justification.
"Regardless, excuse me, but I had a request. It seems that there is still the matter of entertainment to be arranged for the banquet. I was advised by a young lady familiar with and apparently trusted by Reyla to ask around the bardic college, that they could either provide or recommend a group of appropriate prestige and novelty for the evening's entertainment.
"However, I am somewhat unsure of the best way to proceed, the appropriate clerk to approach, how best to negotiate the contract, and what assurances I could give regarding the venue's amenities and restrictions. I was hoping I could ask you, the esteemed Head Butler, for direction on these matters. Or, perhaps..."

It trails off, then tilts its mask down, to the letters being carried by SEBASTIAN.
"We could exchange responsibilities? I was recently exposed to an environmental psychic hazard, and am still recovering and processing the experience. Merely waiting in this reasonably pleasant setting for even upwards of an hour would be perfectly welcome, and I am sure you could handle the arrangements with far more skill than I."
It slowly looks over the crowd.
"Or, perhaps, if you are not comfortable handing off what must be highly sensitive documents, I could attempt to apply a very light pressure on the performance artists to rush through several rounds of their production, ahead of schedule."

zachol fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 18, 2021