Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
really enjoying the lp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you ever let your cat make some of the decisions on these expeditions? Or is he only along for the ride? Because this seems like something a cat could be good at.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Karate Bastard posted:

Do you ever let your cat make some of the decisions on these expeditions? Or is he only along for the ride? Because this seems like something a cat could be good at.

Now imagining a crack team of uplifted cats exploring a derelict, meeting ancient robots, crazed denizens etc but of course they are cats. They're here for the food and napping spots, and hunting trophies.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I have a small cat tree beside my desk, so he likes to curl up in it and be nicely within petting range at all times. When I stream I often turn on a camera and just watch him snoozing while I play games.

Recorded the next video and level 7 turns out to be a very good level for Miners or Demolitionists, and a tough choice for someone who is both! Need more skill points!

Also, after the next video I just recorded I decided to dive a bit deeper into the crafting workshop, and uh, spend a lot of time and like 7,000 CC's in there and what you can make gets silly. I don't think I ever noticed or appreciated how much better crafted things can be over what you find as loot. Things like building a mod that you know will have a given stat and this or that kind of card is really strong to fine tune a build. Also being able to control deck bloat by building nice things and then rerolling them till they have the cards you want, or no cards at all! But also I was looking at a weapon and thinking it's nice cause it's got two nice stats and is the same level as the team and then out of curiosity going to the workshop to see what they could offer and they would make the same weapon with 2-4 stats, making me go 'hmm, so I could have this same gun, but with twice as many nice stats on it?!' and then also being out of CC at that point cause I'd already gone through making a ton of other things because I could and was drunk with power. Oh my god is the next derelict going to get it's rear end kicked.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I handle things a little more carefully, defend the station once more, clear out a pirate base, and commit petty theft to become the new pirate leader of Fristoc.

Look I don't even know, but I got the astrosphere so everything works out I guess.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I would just like to point out that 'astrosphere' is synonymous with "spaceball."

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Ceebees posted:

"spaceball."

Oh poo poo. There goes the planet.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

*groan* It didn't click until this video, but those consoles and passwords are anagrams of composers and their works. "Smada," Adams backwards, is a reference to John Coolidge Adams, and his password is, of course, "shakerloops". "Grebneochs" would then be Arnold Schoenberg, and his password is "jacobsladder." Looks like someone was a fan of 20th century minimalist composers.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

With a fresh set of gear from the workshop I embark feeling invincible. Some enemies still prove a challenge though, and I have to get used to not having energize every turn again. And try to avoid immolating innocent people trapped in the derelict.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Y'know, if you do want to be energized before a potentially difficult battle you could always place down a generator. If I recall correctly that's one of the effects they give you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RaySmuckles posted:

really enjoying the lp

lp good :hai:

although dash rendar not immediately saying "not interested" to every conversation doesn't feel true to the character, hahaha. especially that HAL robot a few episodes back, considering he was nearly killed by an evil AI HAL knock-off in a Star Wars EU YA book.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
hey in the last episode you picked up a shield item and spent a while trying to decide where to put it between your scrapper and your miner. in the end i think you randomly put it on your miner. i think you should have put it on your scrapper. the scrapper had 2x25% charge cards and ~37 shields, while the new piece had 43 shields and 35% recharges. yes it gave one extra card to scrapper, but the scrapper already had 2 and they were both inferior.

instead you put it on the miner who had a decent shield with only 1 card and then later complained about all the shield card bloat (which you just added by replacing a 1 card shield with a 3 card shield).

anyway, SURELY that gear is long gone and you've probably just made new ones, but it was bugging me so i just had to say something (cuz i suck)

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I like how the three "evil" robots were named after the Three Musketeers.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah that's a nice flair.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Between the excellent sound design and the commentary I find this so relaxing to watch before sleep. Well before 4am mind.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Picked the game up thanks to this LP.

When scavenging, are the scavenging attributes summed across all three of your people? Or is only the best score used? In the latter case, I should be having each person specialize as much as possible, one person has mental, one person has scavenging, etc, as opposed to having scavenging increasing mods on all people.

I can't find anything on this in the game?

Thanks!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
There isn't a lot of documentation for this game. The fanwiki is very sparse. So a lot of it is going to be trying for yourself.

I believe that when scavenging, or doing stat related challenges it only checks the single unit with the highest score. Though, if by scavenging you mean clearing debris on the map tiles? Maybe? I have no idea, I only know that this playthrough with the new Miner class is the only time I've ever gotten the energy cost for clearing debris down to zero. Or maybe you mean how the scavenging skill is supposed to increased loot found... and I also have no idea.

There are a lot of ways to play each run of this, and given you only ever get three team members it's impossible to cover all potential bases with just three guys. This run has super specialized guys in mental, weaponry, and scavenging, but as others have pointed out cross-classing like Bruiser/Strategist can be really strong too.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

In this episode I clear out the unexplored parts of Halbolier and then set off to a planet. Planets were DLC! There are some new things down there to see and fight and I end up helping the floor with its back pain. ...uh, yeah... Look I don't know anymore, these quests get strange.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Why did you sell the hero's badge, you monster?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Because he's a Scavenger, not a hero.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Going back down to the planet to finish up and- Oh, hold on, Pizza is here, never mind gotta cut this one short. Might have been a reason I always recorded late at night.

Also sandstorms kind of suck.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't know if it's been brought up in the thread before, but do you think the gameplay loop would change if going back to the station wasn't free?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Philippe posted:

I don't know if it's been brought up in the thread before, but do you think the gameplay loop would change if going back to the station wasn't free?

The game would be ridiculously difficult and not in a fun way. Energy is so critical and healing is basically impossible on a derelict or planet, with those and inventory management becoming a painful slog I wouldn't play it anymore.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I'm back to recording at night, the way it should be. Let's cash in our favor from the floor with back pain and get off this planet and go to a whole new derelict and also level up and get mad powers.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I think Dirty Bomb is going to fit right in with Sweeping Fire in the 'gently caress that whole area in general' game plan. Also, anything that kills Skinks is ok in my book.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The game would be ridiculously difficult and not in a fun way. Energy is so critical and healing is basically impossible on a derelict or planet, with those and inventory management becoming a painful slog I wouldn't play it anymore.

It would basically be the stress/defect mechanic from darkest dungeon, an annoying internal timer that you can't control when it ticks down and you can only reset at great cost.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Scaramouche posted:

It would basically be the stress/defect mechanic from darkest dungeon, an annoying internal timer that you can't control when it ticks down and you can only reset at great cost.

Don't make me LP Darkest Dungeon to show you how easy that game is and how easily manageable stress in in darkest dungeon.

... I'm going to LP Darkest Dungeon sometime in the future aren't I?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's up to you, but yes please

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
IŽd happily follow an LP of Darkest Dungeon.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Has DD been 'solved' as a game by now?
I got soured on it by just how much time it costs to lose a high level hero. In general it felt like the game had very little respect for my time, I don't know if somebody has charted the way through a non-exhausting campaign in the meantime.

In contrast to Deep Sky Derelicts, which seems to move at a steady pace, looks like, seems a lot smoother.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is permadeath a thing in DSD?

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Philippe posted:

Is permadeath a thing in DSD?
We've seen what happens when one character falls, which was 'Go back to the station and pay to get them revived'. I'm not sure what a total party wipe entails, but it's probably just reloading a save.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jade Star posted:

Don't make me LP Darkest Dungeon to show you how easy that game is and how easily manageable stress in in darkest dungeon.

... I'm going to LP Darkest Dungeon sometime in the future aren't I?

haha yissss the bait was laid and then... TRAP SPRUNG

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

mortons stork posted:

Has DD been 'solved' as a game by now?
I got soured on it by just how much time it costs to lose a high level hero. In general it felt like the game had very little respect for my time, I don't know if somebody has charted the way through a non-exhausting campaign in the meantime.

In contrast to Deep Sky Derelicts, which seems to move at a steady pace, looks like, seems a lot smoother.

Like, there's people who've done it deathless torchless hardmode.
Stress is managable in DD for the most part.

Like, sometimes it'll flat out murder your favourite person. Which is kinda...one of the themes they were going for.

You can just keep like 8 level 0-2 heroes around and run easy dungeons to push meter and just fire them when they hit level 3 or get a really annoying affliction. Everyone is expendable.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My memory was insisting that Jade Star had already done the start of a Darkest Dungeon LP, but his youtube channel suggests not. Old brane is brake.

Radiant Difficulty on DD slashes at the time sinks without making anything really 'easier' other than you can throw over-levelled people at the earlier stuff. Though I still feel that the max roster size is just too small.

Something to note with Deep Sky Derelicts. As enemies respawn and trips to wrecks are free, you can *try* to farm/milk run some cash to get you out of a hole by visiting and old wreck and having some fights. Don't know how tricky it is make a profit after energy costs though.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tylana posted:

My memory was insisting that Jade Star had already done the start of a Darkest Dungeon LP, but his youtube channel suggests not. Old brane is brake.
You're remembering Highwang's LP, though whether that's 'close enough' is not for me to say.

Tylana posted:

Something to note with Deep Sky Derelicts. As enemies respawn and trips to wrecks are free, you can *try* to farm/milk run some cash to get you out of a hole by visiting and old wreck and having some fights. Don't know how tricky it is make a profit after energy costs though.
If you're gonna spend a lot of time on one derelict you can drop Generators since rooms in their radius are permanently scanned and movement costs 0ep?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

After spending a few thousand credits in the workshop the team emerges flush with high end lvl 10 gear and immediately starts committing space crimes. Sweeping fire was bad enough, but Dirty Bomb is right there alongside it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Kinda sad that dash hasn't got a war crime card ready to go now.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SIGSEGV posted:

Kinda sad that dash hasn't got a war crime card ready to go now.

Pretty sure psyker abilities would be considered to be in breach of the Geneva Convention on account of that whole 'inflicting unnecessary pain/suffering'

...but in a world where a dude can plausibly (and maybe even literally) pull a nuke out of his rear end, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No warcrimes here. Nothing but friendly hijinks like tactical nukes, indiscriminate heavy weapons fire, white phosphorus grenades and using pirates people as irradiated fuel sources. All done in good fun :)