Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where does Ben Simmons play next year?
Boston Celtics
L.A. Lakers
L.A. Clippers
Golden State Warriors
Sacramento Kings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Utah Jazz
Indiana Pacers
Shanghai Sharks
Adelaide 36ers
Nippon Ham Fighters
Talk 'n' Text Tropang Texters
View Results

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is there a team that's a logical fit for Ben Simmons? Is there a team that doesn't mind having their first or second highest player a nonentity on offense when the pressure is on?

The Pistons won a championship with Ben Wallace only dunking and making every other free throw, imagine if Ben just played point center. That would be sick.

sounds like he'd be incredible in dallas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If he doesn't shoot at all then he unlocks nothing no matter if he's on the perimeter or posting up or going to the hoop. Or if he just refuses to ask for the ball because he knows he'll get fouled. It's possible the Atlanta series/2021 playoffs was an aberration or outlier, but it is also just an extreme case of the same things that have always been dogging him since Jared Dudley called him out. It's possible that his numbers are in large part to the general light gameplaning and paying attention to on defense that generally plagues the regular season. I don't know why it took so long for the rest of the league to realize they didn't have to close out on Draymon Green in random games in January but I guess the regular season malaise and drudgery puts players recognition on autopilot in lowstakes games.

If Philly actually thought this was a blip and that he'll be back to shooting and play making at his previous rate come the start of the season I don't think they would been shopping him the way they have been.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 2, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what if ben simmons went on the bill simmons podcast

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I want to see Simmons with Carlisle please

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

If you just toss the ball to Simmons in the half court and ask him to cook you’re going to end up with a cold Totinos party pizza

This is also probably true of Tyrese Haliburton.

The foul thing clearly got in his head against Atlanta this year but it's not true that Simmons just falls apart every year in the playoffs, he's had several monster playoff games.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 2, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

This is also probably true of Tyrese Haliburton.

The foul thing clearly got in his head against Atlanta this year but it's not true that Simmons just falls apart every year in the playoffs, he's had several monster playoff games.

He's had some monster games but I don't think people realized Hack-A-Ben could be a real thing until that series. So you're betting either that the rest of the league didn't take note or that Ben recognizes a flaw in his game and will come back and try to fix it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

either the Indiana Pacers, or the Kentucky Klutch

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is there a team that's a logical fit for Ben Simmons? Is there a team that doesn't mind having their first or second highest paid player be a nonentity on offense when the pressure is on?

The Pistons won a championship with Ben Wallace only dunking and making every other free throw, imagine if Ben just played point center. That would be sick.

This isn't Ben's fault. He's been mentally coddled and treated like a god since he was a teen, but in the weird australian way that makes people crack under pressure. He needs to do some kind of age regression therapy and have draymond green's parents re-raise him over the course of a year.

Honestly Simmons for Kyrie would not be bad. Kyrie is better but he also is way more injury prone than even ben. It can't fly because of team chemistry but it would be fine for basketball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Honestly Simmons for Kyrie would not be bad. Kyrie is better but he also is way more injury prone than even ben. It can't fly because of team chemistry but it would be fine for basketball.

adam silver would have to stage a humanitarian intervention to prevent kyrie from playing for the seventy-sixers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

He's had some monster games but I don't think people realized Hack-A-Ben could be a real thing until that series. So you're betting either that the rest of the league didn't take note or that Ben recognizes a flaw in his game and will come back and try to fix it.

He didn't really average all that many more free throws against Atlanta than he had the rest of the playoffs (like 6.5 per game vs 5.7 otherwise), or his first year in the playoffs (he averaged less on 18-19 for some reason). Like he shot for poo poo from the line for sure but it wasn't like that was the first time he'd been getting to the line in the playoffs.

I think hack a Ben wasn't tried because you don't send a guy who was shooting 6+ free throws a game at 70%+ (like his first playoff year) to the line intentionally. There's no reason to expect that had stretch of 7 games is more valid than the other 300 he's played.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ben is a career sub 60% FT shooter he’s never been good from there but no one knew he could react like that

Also it’s hard for Atlanta to foul someone and send him to the line when he’s completely hiding on offense

Again, this really isn’t stuff that is that new with Ben. We’ve been on a continuous slide that started with begging him to shoot wide open 3s and then please take some jumpers to he’s not even wanting the ball because he’ll have to shoot FTs. The Atlanta series may be a blip but him refusing to take shots that he’s not comfortable with and letting that effect his game isn’t some new found hot take.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 2, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Morey

He may still swing a nice return for Simmons but I love that every GM is taking the opportunity right now to tee off on him

quote:

The Warriors front office isn’t currently split on whether or not to accept a Ben Simmons trade offer from Philadelphia. There isn’t — and has never been — a realistic one on the table for them to discuss. Talks can’t be considered dead because they’ve never even really been alive, multiple sources confirm.

The Warriors were among the teams Daryl Morey called during his initial round of over-the-top inquiries. That came before the draft. As has been reported, he asked for a package of Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, the seventh and 14th picks and two future first-rounders. There was never bargaining. There was only a decline and a hang up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kings should maybe worry about actually making the playoffs before they get hung up on what is going to happen when they get there

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Kings should maybe worry about actually making the playoffs before they get hung up on what is going to happen when they get there

I don't think Simmons + Fox and Holmes and maybe Barnes if he isn't part of the deal is enough to get them to the playoffs and with Simmons and Fox's deals on the books and some picks changing hands you wouldn't really have a way to improve

Like, I know you're going to rightfully respond with a snarky remark about why would you watch the Kings but have you actually watched the Kings. There isn't much left on the team if you start stripping things out and Simmons isn't LeBron-lite to spackle over that

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 2, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have watched them, and the biggest thing currently holding them back is the thing Ben Simmons is the best at. Adding an all NBA player and arguably the best defensive player in the entire league gets them a whole lot closer to being a good team than farting around as a team that picks between 8-10 every year forever will. I think it definitely gets you into at least the same range as the Grizzles/Pelicans/Blazers for those last couple post season slots. It's a lot harder to find actual star players than it is to find role players to put around them. You would probably win fewer summer league championships though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 2, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
A small "Ben Simmons on the Pacers" thread

https://twitter.com/C2_Cooper/status/1433455536620642307

https://twitter.com/C2_Cooper/status/1433469685413171203

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

I have watched them, and the biggest thing currently holding them back is the thing Ben Simmons is the best at. Adding an all NBA player and arguably the best defensive player in the entire league gets them a whole lot closer to being a good team than farting around as a team that picks between 8-10 every year forever will. I think it definitely gets you into at least the same range as the Grizzles/Pelicans/Blazers for those last couple post season slots. It's a lot harder to find actual star players than it is to find role players to put around them. You would probably win fewer summer league championships though.

They can't play defense, correct. But their PPG is a mirage because they have a bland unimaginative system in the 4th quarter that boils down to clear out for Fox ISOs. Haliburton is the only one that attempts to add some dimension to it on broken plays and I'm very not sold on the idea of Simmons being able to point forward very effectively in the 4th quarter where the paint is packed because we have Fox and Holmes out there with him and Barnes is our only shooter. We'd have to become a significantly better defensive team and while Simmons is good I don't know how good we'd be with Holmes playing center and Barnes having to either chase wings around or guard 4s.

You can make Simmons a more credible threat in the 4th with some creative movement and passes but we wouldn't have the personnel to pull that off and being capped out and giving up future picks would make that pretty hard to do. Monte has been good at working the fringes but he hasn't demonstrated Morey's knack for finding plus starters in his couch cushions.

Simmons is a good player but there is a reason a lot of dire teams who need to do something aren't interested in breaking up the core they have to get him. His limitations and contract make him more of a super role/complimentary player than just get him and figure the rest out later guy.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

But would Ben be in Richuan's scoop shot slot?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yep. I love Holmes but his offensive value comes entirely from making himself a dump off or roll option in that scoop shot range. You can maybe try to run a bunch of snug pick-and-rolls to try and make that work and don't really know how that would go

Now you could argue Simmons is better than Holmes so move on but not sure where or how we are going to find that perfect complimentary big for Simmons with a Richaun Holmes/Harrison Barnes package. Star players are harder to find than role player but the type of role player Ben really needs don't grow on trees.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 2, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

I would not consider what does or does not work for Richaun Holmes at all when making the decision whether or not to add an all star level player

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I would not consider what does or does not work for Richaun Holmes at all when making the decision whether or not to add an all star level player

I get your point. Having an all-nba player means you shouldn't worry about your solid starters fit. It's just an irritating thing to have to basically cross off the key offensive skill of the guy you just signed.

Ben just happens to be Mister In The Way. Like RD said, he really fits somewhere like Dallas where he could do his thing without taking anything away. Great players make it work, though, great players tell their teams various weaknesses "not today."

The Warriors fit is great, and they keep getting shoehorned in, but they don't have much to trade. Same for Minnesota.

I guess a lot of teams can do the Jrue Holiday, all the picks in the world but no players, thing, and not many have a star player they'd like to swap.

Usually a disgruntled star gets 75 cents on the dollar, and I guess you could talk yourself into that being Bradley Beal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Warriors fit is great, and they keep getting shoehorned in, but they don't have much to trade. Same for Minnesota.

It’s only a good fit if they move draymond in the trade and klay is still a player. However, Simmons for Draymond+Kuminga+Moody works. I feel like Dray and Joel together is a beautiful combo, as people

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

It’s only a good fit if they move draymond in the trade and klay is still a player. However, Simmons for Draymond+Kuminga+Moody works. I feel like Dray and Joel together is a beautiful combo, as people

Yeah I kinda love that. They get to replace their defensive anchor and keep a ton of passing. Trading him is sacrilege though. I don't think you could do it without him asking

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah I kinda love that. They get to replace their defensive anchor and keep a ton of passing. Trading him is sacrilege though. I don't think you could do it without him asking

:lol: if you think a hedge fund jerk cares about stuff like that

Dejan Bimble posted:

I get your point. Having an all-nba player means you shouldn't worry about your solid starters fit. It's just an irritating thing to have to basically cross off the key offensive skill of the guy you just signed.

Ben just happens to be Mister In The Way. Like RD said, he really fits somewhere like Dallas where he could do his thing without taking anything away. Great players make it work, though, great players tell their teams various weaknesses "not today."

Yeah that's my problem with the Kings fit. We'd basically have to send some of our good stuff out to get him and what’s left really couldn’t let Simmons just do his own thing. You could ship out the pieces that don’t fit but at that point you’re building a team around Ben Simmons and I’d rather just tank instead

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 3, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Before the Russ trade Ben would've made a lot of sense for the Lakers since they already weren't scoring outside of AD and LeBron and even assuming losing KCP in the trade they'd still have a pretty amazing defense and be less vulnerable to driving guards.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

please oh please oh please let Simmons still be on the team for the first Philly home game
https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/comments/ph4l07/exclusive_footage_ben_simmons_caught_on_camera/

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/ChrisJHoops/status/1433810444687347716?s=19

Wow other 29 teams, he's a changed man check out the range ma'am

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
You see that crossover on Pineapple Pajama Pants?

When the NBA uniform code is changed, Ben Simmons is MVP

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Everyone on that court looks like actors who are hired to pretend to play basketball in some CW teen drama

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Wish I was part of the Swish Culture.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisJHoops/status/1433810444687347716?s=19

Wow other 29 teams, he's a changed man check out the range ma'am

The world's slowest 3 point shot.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

please oh please oh please let Simmons still be on the team for the first Philly home game
https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/comments/ph4l07/exclusive_footage_ben_simmons_caught_on_camera/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rick posted:

The world's slowest 3 point shot.

tall, rangy, takes forever to load up the outside shot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs8gamnMIS0

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

harperdc posted:

Now you’re thinking of Michael Kidd Gilchrist

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Still tickled that Doc is continued to be seen as a highly sought after coach

quote:

"There are teams that are interested in Ben Simmons, they just don't want to pay the steep price," Pompey said during an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic Monday morning. "Ben Simmons knows that, so they are saying why should we help the 76ers out when they feel like when Doc Rivers said what he said, nobody apologized, and Doc was never reprimanded."

Basically, Simmons feels slighted over Rivers' postgame comments. Although the veteran head coach defended the All-Star guard all season long, one questionable comment caused a rift in their relationship. Now, it seems Simmons is no longer open to working with Doc Rivers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Minny’s poop platter has just been upgraded

quote:

Damian Lillard reaffirmed his commitment to the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday, seemingly bringing a temporary end to the speculation about his future with the franchise.

"Back for more… #RipCity is my city," the six-time All-Star wrote on Instagram, a little more than one month away from Portland's opener Oct. 20 against the Sacramento Kings.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

harperdc posted:

Lmao

It indeed does take a whole team to operate the medieval siege engine (Ben Simmons)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Minny’s poop platter has just been upgraded

This actually hurts MN. If Portland was breaking things down MN giving an OK prospect and a decent contract + picks was more valuable to them than Philly. Portland wouldn't be interested in a straight Simmons for Dame swap, that would just make them a 10 seed or whatever.

That trade would have been something like McDaniels + Beasley + filler(maybe Balmaro) + 2 MN picks and 2 Philly picks to Portland, Dame to Philly, Simmons to MN (basically).

Guys posting stuff like that and then being traded 2 weeks later is pretty common though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So two questions: who first started using the term "pu pu platter" for a group of marginal assets in a trade, and second: if you're calling it a "poop platter" is that good enough or do you have to say "poop poop platter"?