Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I will hate Germaine forever for those after the bell cheap shots on Holm not once but twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

beep by grandpa posted:

I will hate Germaine forever for those after the bell cheap shots on Holm not once but twice

She's a cop, we shouldn't have expected any better

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Memento posted:

She's a cop, we shouldn't have expected any better

I was gonna go there, but decided not to :laugh:

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
From Brian Ortega's Ufcstats page

He's not that great at getting takedowns. I'm surprised he got one on Max, who's pretty good at stuffing those.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Interesting, can you pull up the SLaps per Minute for a Diaz brother?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

I know we've all hated conor here for years at this point - but 145 Conor with his IV was as dangerous a 145er as they come. Ortegas exactly the kind of guy he'd have decapitated coming in and it wouldn't have even looked close. Now if Ortega learned to wrestle now that max taught him stand up... I think Ortegas better off at 155, with as little as a cut as possible, as he is a big guy. And he needs to concentrate on reliably getting dudes to the ground, where he looks like a magic person.

I'm trying to think of anyone who's similar to Ortega who he decapitated coming in and the closest I've got is Diego Brandao.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bluedeanie posted:

Interesting, can you pull up the SLaps per Minute for a Diaz brother?

I believe it's 2.09

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

beep by grandpa posted:

I was trolling Conor fans on twitter for fun today and just talking mad poo poo to get them riled up and I made something up on the spot that I ended up actually kinda convincing myself of in the moment that I thought might be interesting to run by the thread lol

That thing is : 'a champion who never defends their belt ain't a real champion'

Which I think might hold up - obv we're not counting injuries and other poo poo that caused an interim or something. And I think I could forgive someone for getting their belt at an older age, maybe after losing some title shots, and peacing out on top once they get it. There may not even be that many of these.

Obv this is just for fun (and to get under the skin of Conor fans), but what do yall think, am I just an rear end in a top hat or do I actually got something here

It's been a saying in boxing for years. Dunno if I agree, but you're not the first to think like this.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I disagree. If you beat the guy/gal who has the belt and they wrap it around your waist, you're the champion. Barring some crazy happenstance like the aljo fight, you're the best in the world for that particular ruleset and organisation at that moment. Anything after that is legacy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm trying to think of anyone who's similar to Ortega who he decapitated coming in and the closest I've got is Diego Brandao.

who's similar to ortega full stop? nate, kind of? which does make me think that ortega/conor could look a lot like the first nate fight, or the second one if conor came in as laser focused and prepared as he did for the nate rematch, but he definitely won't, so the first one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nate Diaz has a lot more polished boxing.

EDIT: like, poo poo, I hate Conor but if you're easy to hit like Ortega you're probably toast.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 28, 2021

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that's true but i feel like it's kinda hard to judge ortega's striking since in two years he fought a round against a conscious TKZ, four more against an unconscious one, and then one of the two best strikers in mma's best striking division.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i also think ortega is disgustingly tough, probably tough enough to get through however many rounds of gas conor has, since volk hulking out like that in the third round would've probably been the end for almost anyone else. and then ortega was still fighting back in the fifth. but maybe he'd just die.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
nate choking conor out was one of mma's finest moments. in fact literally everything about that fight from the second it was announced is one of mma's finest moments. still lol at touch-butt in the park.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That guillotine was insane. Like, I've been in guillotines from the other blue belts at bjj and it's a hard as gently caress thing to get out of, you tap and then move on with your day with no shame. And Ortega is like a meme-level guillotine wizard.

Marching Powder posted:

still lol at touch-butt in the park.

hell of :same:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Foul Fowl posted:

who's similar to ortega full stop? nate, kind of? which does make me think that ortega/conor could look a lot like the first nate fight, or the second one if conor came in as laser focused and prepared as he did for the nate rematch, but he definitely won't, so the first one.

Ortega is a walking bobble head dripping with the latent power of gracie jiujitsu. Which is to say Nates a lot better than him on the feet, and peak conor was much better than him on the feet. Way I remember it Diego brandao was better on the feet.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.tmz.com/2021/09/28/jon-jones-las-vegas-arrest-allegedly-headbutt-car-pulled-fiance-hair-ufc/

Non tmz article https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1442915524032139282

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 28, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I don't normally wish harm upon others but I really hope Bones gets 36 different kinds of really painful dick and rear end cancer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm taking $10k and going to a strip club says the man who just smacked up his wife.

I am dubious of the cop's statement that jones headbutted their car because anytime cops are involved with a black man I assume they were smashing his head into the hood of his car. I could be wrong, but I have an inherent distrust of police until I see corroborating video.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1442925963629645832

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It says something about Jones' fight IQ that he didn't rake the car's headlights a couple times before the cuffs came out.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah I'm waiting to see body cam footage before I take the cops' word about Jones slamming his own head into their car. I wouldn't put it past Jon but, still

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Jesse told police "Jon came back and was not very happy." When they asked her if things turned physical, she replied "Umm not too physical but a little bit yeah."

When cops asked what she meant, Jesse said, "he touch the back of my head and pulled my hair a little bit but he did not hit me or anything."

However, cops said they noticed blood on her lip, which was also swollen. Jesse told cops it was because they were dry. Police also say they saw blood on her sweatshirt.

thats such a loving bummer thing to read :(. poor woman

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
good thing Dana is a piece of poo poo and Jon won't face any repercussions for this in terms of his contract because I do want to see him fight at HW

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The thread title is now a bummer.

mewse
May 2, 2006

gently caress Jon Jones forever and congratulations to the cops who smashed their own vehicle with his face

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

gently caress Jon Jones forever and congratulations to the cops who smashed their own vehicle with his face

Ok I've cooled down a bit, maybe the UFC can give him a second chance

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Trillhouse posted:

Jesse told police "Jon came back and was not very happy." When they asked her if things turned physical, she replied "Umm not too physical but a little bit yeah."

When cops asked what she meant, Jesse said, "he touch the back of my head and pulled my hair a little bit but he did not hit me or anything."

However, cops said they noticed blood on her lip, which was also swollen. Jesse told cops it was because they were dry. Police also say they saw blood on her sweatshirt.

thats such a loving bummer thing to read :(. poor woman

the kids too, having to beg their bloodied mom to call the cops on their loving dad

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Here's the full report:

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/91/2021/09/jon-jones-las-vegas-police-arrest-report.pdf

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

in less lovely news, we get to see the black beast on hot ones, the show with hot questions and even hotter balls on thursday

https://twitter.com/firstwefeast/status/1442586676757504003?s=19

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

I think Yan absolutely kicks Cory's rear end sadly

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Eat This Glob posted:

in less lovely news, we get to see the black beast on hot ones, the show with hot questions and even hotter balls on thursday

https://twitter.com/firstwefeast/status/1442586676757504003?s=19

why is that a video

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
if I'm Sterling i'm praying to every god out there that Sandhagen somehow beats Yan because AJ had nothing for him

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

butros posted:

why is that a video

Some robot told some intern it would have a better seo yield than a pic probably

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/9/...ace-and-clothes

the article posted:

Police added that Jones joked he could escape the handcuffs, but officers told him if he continued to resist arrest that he would be tased, at which point he apologized and complied with the officers.

lmao Jones pulling the I CAN BREAK THESE CUFFS!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jon Jones is a huge piece of poo poo like he always has been but Derrick Lewis is also on Hot Ones so I'm looking forward to that while Dana continues to cut checks to anyone who needs one to make Jon's problems go away

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
feeling kind of sick reading the battered housewife's testimony. jon's a loving monster. gently caress him.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

at this point Jon's entire career is just that jesse from breaking bad 'he can't keep getting away with this' gif

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm taking $10k and going to a strip club says the man who just smacked up his wife.

I am dubious of the cop's statement that jones headbutted their car because anytime cops are involved with a black man I assume they were smashing his head into the hood of his car. I could be wrong, but I have an inherent distrust of police until I see corroborating video.

Jon Jones is an enormous piece of poo poo but lmao that is absolutely a cop trying to explain why there’s a dent in his cruiser without saying that he slammed Jon Jones’ head into his cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i can't imagine a cop passing up a chance to bully a guy who free from restraint would kill him and those with him if they didn't have guns and state authority. sure he may have bashed his wife, but cops don't get to do that poo poo despite it being the worst punishment he'll get in all this unfortunately.