Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Crossing my fingers worse than A.I. art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm applying for a new position and made it through the first round of interviews. Now I go to assessments and assuming I pass, 9 weeks of training.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Fingers crossed for you, my dude! Good luck!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Got sprung from jury duty three weeks early when the trial was cancelled.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hell yeah. I also remembered that during COVID I was summoned and the trial just... didn't happen I guess so I evaded it too!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, I was a camp counselor in summer 2017 for a marine science camp my university was running. One of my camp kids then had been accepted to my school, and turns out he managed to get a paid internship (post-graduation!) at the aquarium where I volunteer. Dude has an eye on getting a full-time spot there as an educator (think like an NPS ranger, except working at an aquarium instead).

Feels good that he did good, and will probably keep at it :unsmith:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, I was a camp counselor in summer 2017 for a marine science camp my university was running. One of my camp kids then had been accepted to my school, and turns out he managed to get a paid internship (post-graduation!) at the aquarium where I volunteer. Dude has an eye on getting a full-time spot there as an educator (think like an NPS ranger, except working at an aquarium instead).

Feels good that he did good, and will probably keep at it :unsmith:

That is freaking awesome. The marine wildlife centers around me do lots of work restoring/creating wetlands and saving/protecting sea turtles. It is amazing what they can accomplish with the resources they have. I always vote "yes" on their funding initiatives.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
So at a vet town hall I chatted up this vet who was funny as gently caress, kept it all jokes with her. I was about to hand her the card with my number and “call me =)” written on the back too. And she asked me if I wanted her number before I even reached in my back pocket to do the thing. I'm like “yes how did you know!?!?” her: “because we’re both retarded!!!” anyway I'm taking her out for drinks on Wednesday. McNally queue up the sixer because you know I had to tell it exactly how it went down. Should be a fun time. Wish me luck.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 24, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

❤️❤️❤️

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheWeedNumber posted:

So at a vet town hall I chatted up this vet who was funny as gently caress, kept it all jokes with her. I was about to hand her the card with my number and “call me =)” written on the back too. And she asked me if I wanted her number before I even reached in my back pocket to do the thing. I'm like “yes how did you know!?!?” her: “because we’re both retarded!!!” anyway I'm taking her out for drinks on Wednesday. McNally queue up the sixer because you know I had to tell it exactly how it went down. Should be a fun time. Wish me luck.

Dude that loving owns, she sounds awesome. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

o7o7o7 I can supply you with a ton of terrible lines if needed

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You are welcome to use the line thar got my wife to agree to date me-
"I want to take you to a nice seafood dinner, and then spank you with a Hot Wheels track."

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

You are welcome to use the line thar got my wife to agree to date me-
"I want to take you to a nice seafood dinner, and then spank you with a Hot Wheels track."

I’m reserving or modifying this line because I feel like I can get away with it. I'll save it for when we’ve both had a few drinks in us.

The opener was me getting confused about something that was said. This is how the jokes got started.

“I'm sorry, someone wants to say grace?”

Blah blah blah, apparently that's not the case.

“What's your name” (to me)

“Definitely not grace.”

(insert roaring laughter from a buncha vets at the table, myself included)

“Nah for real I'm me, what about you. What's your name.”

“Definitely not grace.”

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

o7o7o7 I can supply you with a ton of terrible lines if needed

Go ahead because unless I'm mistaken she’d probably thrive on at least one or two of those.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

TheWeedNumber posted:

bulletsponge13 posted:

❤️❤️❤️

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't plan on staying active on the forums. Just wanted to drop in and say hello.

I have been flourishing.

My previous project at work was COVID-centric and became such a drag on my mental health that I checked out about halfway through last year. I recently got put on another project and I have never thrived so much professionally since I was a dumbass soldier in the Army.

Last year I did so much work on myself that I feel like a completely different person.

I have been so happy that I feel like I am in a prolonged manic state.

A few things I did that I hope others will consider doing: get the gently caress off of social media. All of it. Even these forums. I don't care that it is the only way you talk to your Aunt Betty from Norway. Get her phone number, her WhatsApp or whatever, and log the gently caress off. You are torturing yourself and ruining your mental health over it. And for what? To stay informed? gently caress that. Be healthy. You aren't going to stop the bad poo poo from happening anyway.

Psychodelic therapy. TwoFinger and FV helped me navigate some of this. They got to receive a bunch of my messages while I was figuring myself out, and learning who I am and what makes me tick. One of the most major realizations I had is that I have an identity crisis, one that I suspect a lot of men struggle with, and is probably the driving factor behind a lot of my issues:

I had no idea who I was, I only knew what I wanted the world to see me as.

Imagine every choice you make being influenced by what everyone else thinks, from what you wear to where you go out to eat. I didn't even know I was doing it. You probably don't even know that you are doing it either. My entire life was co-dependance and a lie. I had no interests or hobbies, I only had other peoples' interests and hobbies.

Now? I pretty much date myself. I buy myself stuff. I take myself out to dinner. I go to the movies by myself.

For a while my golden rule was to ask myself if I would do something without someone -- for example, if no one goes to dinner with me, will I still go? If I wouldn't do it by myself, I forced myself to do it anyway. I made a day of the week that I go to dinner (Wednesdays because the crowds aren't crazy) and I go with or without somebody. At first it was awkward. But now it is something I look forward to every week.

Having something to look forward to can make all of the difference.

I cannot stress this enough: GET THE gently caress OFF OF SOCIAL MEDIA. IT IS NOT HELPING YOU. YOU ARE NOT MORE INFORMED FOR OR CONNECTED BEING ON IT. YOU ARE NOT MORE CONNECTED BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT. THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST FAVOR YOU COULD DO FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH. I AM SO loving SERIOUS, THIS FEELS GREAT.

If most of your social media usage is to be miserable rather than ~*~stay connected~*~ with people, then you're just using that as an excuse to stay on social media. Addict behavior.

And keeping an active account but "never logging on" is a fool's bet.

Just delete the loving things.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 26, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

boop the snoot posted:

I don't plan on staying active on the forums. Just wanted to drop in and say hello.

I have been flourishing.

My previous project at work was COVID-centric and became such a drag on my mental health that I checked out about halfway through last year. I recently got put on another project and I have never thrived so much professionally since I was a dumbass soldier in the Army.

Last year I did so much work on myself that I feel like a completely different person.

A few things I did that I hope others will consider doing: get the gently caress off of social media. All of it. Even these forums. I don't care that it is the only way you talk to your Aunt Betty from Norway. Get her phone number, her WhatsApp or whatever, and log the gently caress off. You are torturing yourself and ruining your mental health over it. And for what? To stay informed? gently caress that. Be healthy. You aren't going to stop the bad poo poo from happening anyway.

Psychodelic therapy. TwoFinger and FV helped me navigate some of this. They got to receive a bunch of my messages while I was figuring myself out, and learning who I am and what makes me tick. One of the most major realizations I had is that I have an identity crisis, one that I suspect a lot of men struggle with, and is probably the driving factor behind a lot of my issues:

Imagine every choice you make being influenced by what everyone else thinks, from what you wear to where you go out to eat. I didn't even know I was doing it. You probably don't even know that you are doing it either. My entire life was co-dependance and a lie. I had no interests or hobbies, I only had other peoples' interests and hobbies.

Now? I pretty much date myself. I buy myself stuff. I take myself out to dinner. I go to the movies by myself.

For a while my golden rule was to ask myself if I would do something without someone -- for example, if no one goes to dinner with me, will I still go? If I wouldn't do it by myself, I forced myself to do it anyway. I made a day of the week that I go to dinner (Wednesdays because the crowds aren't crazy) and I go with or without somebody. At first it was awkward. But now it is something I look forward to every week.

I cannot stress this enough: GET THE gently caress OFF OF SOCIAL MEDIA. IT IS NOT HELPING YOU. YOU ARE NOT MORE INFORMED FOR OR CONNECTED BEING ON IT. YOU ARE NOT MORE CONNECTED BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT. THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST FAVOR YOU COULD DO FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH. I AM SO loving SERIOUS, THIS FEELS GREAT.

If most of your social media usage is to be miserable rather than ~*~stay connected~*~ with people, then you're just using that as an excuse to stay on social media. Addict behavior.

I mean he's right. IDK if I'd take the dive on SA because there's a lot more to it than GiP or FYAD or GBS or CSPAM or anywhere else that would drive you insane. But if you need to bounce out bro, more power to ya. Live your best life. Thanks for getting me high when I was in DC to see the NDRB that day and being a great host, sparking me up at your apartment. Take care of yourself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Glad you’re doing well cole!!!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Yeah, even if you don’t return to see this post, I’m glad you’re doing well, Cole. Give Monty some pets and loves for me!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

I have been flourishing.

More than happy to keep receiving those messages my dude. You're a good man. Keep being so.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

After quitting my toxic dead end job in December, and spending the last few months getting IT certs so I could change careers, I received a great job offer today. Team seems great and we clicked really well during interviews, I'm very happy right now.

Big shout out to my wife for telling me to quit and get as far away from that job as possible, and supporting us while I did my unemployed thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

After quitting my toxic dead end job in December, and spending the last few months getting IT certs so I could change careers, I received a great job offer today. Team seems great and we clicked really well during interviews, I'm very happy right now.

Big shout out to my wife for telling me to quit and get as far away from that job as possible, and supporting us while I did my unemployed thing.

You and me are in the same boat. I just started a new job this week paying more than my last one, with better hours, and a van and tools, where all the staff say "the management are the reason I'm still here."
It's like the polar opposite of my last job.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You and me are in the same boat. I just started a new job this week paying more than my last one, with better hours, and a van and tools, where all the staff say "the management are the reason I'm still here."
It's like the polar opposite of my last job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Super happy for you! Nothing is better than the first time you make a "jump" in employment.

May this be the beginning of greater things.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Research paper complete. All coursework is prepped and ready to turn in/turned in. I'm done till June.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Congrats to you both! I also just accepted a very generous job offer and am getting out of a dead end position.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The turtles are starting to come back, y’all :unsmith:

(2 angles of the same turtle crawl, she left a pile of eggs :3: )

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Icon Of Sin posted:

The turtles are starting to come back, y’all :unsmith:

(2 angles of the same turtle crawl, she left a pile of eggs :3: )

beautiful

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

TheWeedNumber posted:

Research paper complete. All coursework is prepped and ready to turn in/turned in. I'm done till June.

Nice! I've got two weeks of grad school left myself and then I finally get to graduate.

Grad school has been fun but I'm also excited to not have to do anymore homework.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mustang posted:

Nice! I've got two weeks of grad school left myself and then I finally get to graduate.

Grad school has been fun but I'm also excited to not have to do anymore homework.

A on the paper, B or B+ for a class I haven't really been in. I'm happy for you Mustang. I don't know what you got your degree in but looking forward to hearing about the next part of your journey: https://armyuniversity.edu/cgsc/cgsc

Nah but seriously, get after it fam.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

The Sunshine comes up in the morning. I take a short snooze after lunch. I wake back up and enjoy life.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

TheWeedNumber posted:

A on the paper, B or B+ for a class I haven't really been in. I'm happy for you Mustang. I don't know what you got your degree in but looking forward to hearing about the next part of your journey: https://armyuniversity.edu/cgsc/cgsc

Nah but seriously, get after it fam.

B+ ON THE CLASS I COULD BARELY ATTEND FOR MENTAL HEALTH REASONS, A+ ON THE INDEPENDENT STUDY LETS loving GO!!!!!!!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Got sick of push mower & half busted gas mower & sprung for a self-propelled battery powered mower Costco had on sale. Works great.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Life is pretty good these days. I'm generally happy most of the time. That's all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Life is pretty good these days. I'm generally happy most of the time. That's all.

That's one of the biggest wins of all. I'm happy for you friend

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I learned of a study that allowed parrots to initiate and receive video calls with other parrots, and it turns out that parrots really respond to it! :parrot:

https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3544548.3581166

Sure seems like parrots have a pretty great time visiting other parrots via video calls and it really enriches their lives :unsmith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm not quite there but I can see it from here. Mostly good anxiety at the moment.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
i lost my canteens again for the 3rd time. pawn shops be getting better with the cif ready turn in equipment

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sea turtles are a lot of work for us, but they’re cool enough that I actually like doing it.

I say that because my little island picked up 3 new sea turtle nests yesterday morning, bringing us up to 9 total. We’re also about to go into their peak nesting season, so more to come :3:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s a story in 2 parts:

It’s not much, but my little box turtle-friend got across the street with a quick lift, and slinked off into the tall grass :unsmith:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s a story in 2 parts:

It’s not much, but my little box turtle-friend got across the street with a quick lift, and slinked off into the tall grass :unsmith:

gently caress yeah!

My neighborhood gets lots of turtles sometimes. Pretty much everyone goes out of their way to help the little guys. I've seen kids posted up along the road looking for turtles trying to cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s a story in 2 parts:

:five: