Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

he's got Titus Bramble Syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I feel like he'd benefit from more of a coaching focused manager who could iron out the lumpy bits in his game because he's still good and can improve imo. Ole was brought in specifically as a kind of hype man to keep all the good players focused on winning by saying the Sir Alex words, which I feel would work if you had like the Man U squad from 2008 where they were all the finished article but despite the price tags a lot of that team are still developing and I don't think Ole's the guy to push them in that way

Obviously this assumes Man U are actually interested in building another team to compete for the league consistently rather than the owners just turning the big dial that says 'results' just high enough that fans don't complain too much about them hoovering up all the telly money just out of view

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
think how good maguire would be with defensive master steve bruce coaching him, phwoar

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kcer posted:

think how good maguire would be with defensive master steve bruce coaching him, phwoar

He'd win the golden boot but with his head

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sebzilla posted:

He'd win the golden boot but with his head

"Bruce Cabbage Ball," they'd call it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Today's hot rumour is ole out and Rodgers in, which I don't think anybody involved would enjoy

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Yes he too would be top of my list if I needed to secure top 4.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CyberPingu posted:

Yes he too would be top of my list if I needed to secure top 4.

Leicester pipping Rodgers' Man U to fourth on the last day is the funniest possible outcome for the season

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

tarbrush posted:

Leicester pipping Rodgers' Man U to fourth on the last day is the funniest possible outcome for the season

:bisonyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

Even better if Leicester do it after they replace Rodgers with Van Gaal.

Even betterer if West Ham under Tartan Diego Simeone also beat them.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I'd rather keep Rodgers tbh but sure that'd be funny too

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
"Harry is a top centre-half. I'd put him in the same category as Virgil van Dijk, and I'll be proven right in the next couple of years, because he's only going to get better and better."

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the hg rules are the only reason the maguire transfer wasn't that bad, but hed have been half the price if he wasn't english

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't really watch utd often enough... Is Maguire genuinely poo poo, or just not a world class defender?

I don't think Varane and Maguire are the problem - most of being a defender is being in the right place at the right time, but if you don't have the cover and get left hugging Fernando Torres' ankles like you don't want to go to school that day, pretty much anyone is going to look stupid. The issue seems to be that United weren't able to break teams down last season (also we bought a Ronald on about three hours notice), so we're now playing a front four of Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood and Fernandes, three of whom are essentially striker-wingers and who don't do defence other than by mutual non-disclosure agreement.

That means that our approach so far has been to give Scott McTominay a picture of Didier Deschamps and Fred a picture of Claude Makelele and to tell them that if they wish really, really hard they can become real boys, which is not ideal against a team doing a gegenpress. Supposedly, the rumours are that Solskjaer asked for another midfielder in the summer, and either they couldn't find one or was told that he got a perfectly good van de Beek for Christmas and who doesn't want to wait for his life to be over before he gets a game.

I post this two hours before the game in order that it'll be funnier when Maguire scores an own goal after becoming entangled in his own shorts

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

also Rodgers to United is the clickiest of baits, it's literally the most cat-among-the-pidgeons story you could write based on idle speculation about a job that's not yet on the market once you assume that United going after Klopp, Tuchel or Guardiola wouldn't be believable

tbh Rodgers gives me Harry Redknapp vibes, he's ideal for a B-tier club to come in and get the best out of a reasonable squad of players, I don't see him as someone who's going to go to Barca and implement a tactical system that everybody tries to emulate for the next decade... he's no Steve Bruce

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Rafa Benitez to United

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Supposedly, the rumours are that Solskjaer asked for another midfielder in the summer, and either they couldn't find one or was told that he got a perfectly good van de Beek for Christmas and who doesn't want to wait for his life to be over before he gets a game.

The ~itk noise~ is that he wanted Rice and had zero interest in Ronaldo

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

tbh Rodgers […] he's ideal for a B-tier club to come in and get the best out of a reasonable squad of players
He sounds perfect.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
How do city fans feel about having a billion dollar squad yet having to watch Gabriel Jesus play striker

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
hes not a striker hes a winger now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ole's at the wheel

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Are Fonseca or Conte getting the spurs job or were they two of the ones who turned them down in the summer

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Are Fonseca or Conte getting the spurs job or were they two of the ones who turned them down in the summer

Pretty sure they were among the legion who turned the job down in the summer

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Spurs rejected Fonseca in the last minute when they saw Gattuso available. Conte rejected Spurs because he wanted assurances that Spurs did not give.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Nuno is a nice chap but needs to go today

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

psyer posted:

Spurs rejected Fonseca in the last minute when they saw Gattuso available. Conte rejected Spurs because he wanted assurances that Spurs did not give.

Conte has and wants to continue to win things. Something Spurs doesn't do. Conte wanted money so he could win things. Spurs don't win things. Therefore Conte would need unlimited money and Levy isn't going to allow that so of course Conte said no.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Should've taken the Harry millions and done something with that

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Weaponized Cum posted:

Should've taken the Harry millions and done something with that

I gotta admit, even as a City fan, it's really funny that both teams are worse off with that deal not going through.

Kane would almost certainly be playing better at City and scoring goals since he wanted the deal to go through, and it's not like he could be doing any worse.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
*gestures vaguely in several directions* He just needs more time

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Harry Kane aged 15 years over the course of one summer break

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

That reminded me of some of the United matches against the really bad Spurs sides only it was a much worse United team Ole masterfully trolled Spurs into thinking they could come onto by deliberately playing terrible "come and get us" football the last 9 matches. Spurs fell for it hook line and sinker. *tugs collar*

I'm still worried about us, granted we played a lot better but could hardly have played worse than recently. Even then there were moments in our half and box we could have been undone on another day. De Gea's poor pass out should have been punished, Cavani's mishit to Kane should have as well. Spurs were woeful and naive and absolutely not a measure in which to see how their opposition are doing.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

bewbies posted:

i've always thought maguire was pretty alright, but

1) i think manu fans got rather spoiled by the likes of vidic/ferdinand for a long time and just sort of expect every center back signing they make to be a world beater

this just reminded me of how good vidic/ferdinand were, and how dumb and bad that was. i'm triggered

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

That means that our approach so far has been to give Scott McTominay a picture of Didier Deschamps and Fred a picture of Claude Makelele and to tell them that if they wish really, really hard they can become real boys, which is not ideal against a team doing a gegenpress. Supposedly, the rumours are that Solskjaer asked for another midfielder in the summer, and either they couldn't find one or was told that he got a perfectly good van de Beek for Christmas and who doesn't want to wait for his life to be over before he gets a game.

why doesnt van de beek play?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Because

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

pik_d posted:

I gotta admit, even as a City fan, it's really funny that both teams are worse off with that deal not going through.

Kane would almost certainly be playing better at City and scoring goals since he wanted the deal to go through, and it's not like he could be doing any worse.

you make a great point and you're right, it hilarious

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

EC10 posted:

why doesnt van de beek play?

He's not really that good, op. Also the only thing he's half decent at is number 8/10, a spot which is rather crowded

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

TheRat posted:

He's not really that good, op. Also the only thing he's half decent at is number 8/10, a spot which is rather crowded

Even JLinz got some minutes, that has to sting for VdB.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TheRat posted:

You can just say Ole is shite, there’s no need to invent reasons

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FootballlForAll/status/1454800563728683009

Makes sense they'd sack him after an embarrassing defeat to a bunch of minnows and not after their hard-fought 1-0 loss to the loving massive West Ham United.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
man, Nuno really should've stayed at Wolves. They're poo poo without him and Spurs are poo poo with him.